PDA

View Full Version : Life Any Business Owners on here?

El Jefe
06-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Today at our shop we come in to find some f**king thieves (pardon my french) cut off a catalytic converter on a piece of crap 95 chevy astro. Of course it's on a car that the bill was only $90 bucks, and now we are going to be in almost $300 bucks for the catalytic converter, y-pipe, and clamps/gaskets. Our shop insurance has a deductible of $500 bucks, so we will have to eat this. Technically we aren't liable for it, because we have a paper they sign that tells them this, but we don't do that to people, and we will take care of them if anything happens.

Back to the main point, my dad owns the shop, and I am the manager, It's not a huge place but when we are busy my job entails a lot of work. Everything from ordering parts, to running the business reports, sales tax, workers comp crap, billing our accounts payable, all aspects of HR and taking payments on the bills from the customers. I have the duty to price jobs, explain the job/problem that needs to be done, try and sell the job, handle everything but actually doing the job, then show them and explain the parts we replaced and why we did when they come into pay. So I look at this catalytic converter that was stolen and just cant let it go, as I see the money coming out of our pocket to pay for this. We loose money all because some bum doesn't want to work and earn his money. I'm only 22 and sometimes I just want to quit, I want a job with no responsibility and no accountability. Then when things are good it's like living la vida loca like ricky (except the pay still stinks), and your making the shop money and everyone is happy. Other times when it's slow or you get a week were nothing goes right, and your spending money rather than making it, I can barely sleep at night. I get tired of dealing with bitching bipolar employee's, I get tired of having to motivate employee's and give speeches about tardiness, and good work habits. I am old school like my dad, you come in to work early, you keep yourself busy, any job worth doing is worth doing right, and you dont bring you personal problems to work with you. Or if you do, you don't let it affect your working, if you need time off then take it. I spend so much time babysitting people and holding their hands, that it makes me stay late to get my job done. One thing I found, is people do not want responsibility, they look at their lives/family as X and their income as Y, as long as X is taken care of, they want Y and they want it by doing the least amount of work as possible to get it.

Just a long rant, those who manage people or are business owners feel free to chime in with their own rants. Just curious to hear others on this subject.

Vegas_Dave
06-11-2009, 04:05 PM
thats a little thing I like to call "life".

Welcome to the world of management.

El Jefe
06-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Intriguing, give me a minute to chew on that thought. :p

Vegas_Dave
06-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Intriguing, give me a minute to chew on that thought. :p

You do that. Honestly, thats just what the job entails. I too work in a family business doing very much the same stuff you describe, but do it over 3 locations while simultaneously dealing with our entire internet business as well.

There is simply no solution to the struggles and things that tax the sould when being management. It is the biggest downside to being in business.

I cant tell you how many times my father and I have discussed dropping everything and cutting back to just one store solely so we dont have to deal with all the struggles that running a 3 store chain entails.

Thats why you have to love what you do. Its the only way to survive it in the long run.

Inspector
06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I manage about 50 people. 20 of them are union.

I feel your pain man.

Good luck, it does get hot in the kitchen at times.

Buck
06-11-2009, 04:21 PM
The thing that usually pisses me off the most at work is when I have to drop a load and all 3 bathrooms are occupied.

Also when a customer runs out of something and then they order it and expect us to work a miracle to get it to them in a day. I wish every company would order shit they need 4 weeks in advance, my life would be much less stressful.

jiveturkey
06-11-2009, 04:23 PM
I've owned a small headhunting biz for close to 4 years now. I had employees for a little while but the were more hassle than benefit. I've been solo for the last couple of years and it's a lot better, even though business has been slow this year.

I specialize in building sales/marketing teams so it's funny that I hired a couple of dud sales reps. They needed constant hand holding. They also thought that they were doing a good job even when they weren't hitting 30% of their goal. Apparently getting people to answer the phone was an accomplishment for them. Getting them to hand us a check was the actual goal.

It's a stressful life but still way better than my life in staffing firm.

El Jefe
06-11-2009, 04:26 PM
You do that. Honestly, thats just what the job entails. I too work in a family business doing very much the same stuff you describe, but do it over 3 locations while simultaneously dealing with our entire internet business as well.

There is simply no solution to the struggles and things that tax the sould when being management. It is the biggest downside to being in business.

I cant tell you how many times my father and I have discussed dropping everything and cutting back to just one store solely so we dont have to deal with all the struggles that running a 3 store chain entails.

Thats why you have to love what you do. Its the only way to survive it in the long run.

See, that's all that I was looking for, I know dealing with people will always be a chore. I was just ranting and wanting to hear some input on the topic, and just blow a little steam off. I think one of the biggest issues I have is that sometimes I have to do other peoples jobs because I simply don't want to have them do it wrong and me fix it anyway. Sometimes the only person you can trust to do the job right is yourself. I feel for you, that's a lot more load than I deal with.

Nzoner
06-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I've owned a direct mail advertising business for almost 19 years and this will be my 5th Summer managing a fireworks business as well.I don't even have time to begin to list all my bitches and complaints and believe me you don't want to get me started.

All I can say is that when I step back and try and look at the big picture it still beats working for the other guy.

Kyle DeLexus
06-11-2009, 04:30 PM
You guys should plug your businesses so that if possible we can support CP users.

Then again it is the internet, so I probably wouldn't.

Baconeater
06-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I fought that battle for 8 years until I finally had enough of it and decided to go back to work for someone else, which is an entirely different battle itself. The only good thing about it is that the paychecks always show up when they're supposed to.

rockymtnchief
06-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I had a small business and sold it to move to South Dakota to engineer a telcom project. The job was, by far, the easiest I ever had. It paid $90,000 a year (10 years ago) and nothing was stressful or physically hard about it. I had four other guys working with me, doing the same work, and getting paid the same. Not one of them worked more than five hours a day. They'd show up for work, go eat breakfast, work three hours, go to lunch, work two hours, and have to go home for some reason or another. It pissed me off to no end.

Turns out, boss man started spying on us. Those four got fired and my one year contract got extended to 4 years to do all their work. That's the only time I truly appreciated lazy people.

Kyle DeLexus
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I had a small business and sold it to move to South Dakota to engineer a telcom project. The job was, by far, the easiest I ever had. It paid $90,000 a year (10 years ago) and nothing was stressful or physically hard about it. I had four other guys working with me, doing the same work, and getting paid the same. Not one of them worked more than five hours a day. They'd show up for work, go eat breakfast, work three hours, go to lunch, work two hours, and have to go home for some reason or another. It pissed me off to no end.

Turns out, boss man started spying on us. Those four got fired and my one year contract got extended to 4 years to do all their work. That's the only time I truly appreciated lazy people.

Did you get their pay?

Mr. Flopnuts
06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Did you get their pay?

Over a 4 year spread.

shitgoose
06-11-2009, 04:58 PM
My biggest problem is getting paid. When you are a small business and you do work for big companies like airlines and other large aerospace companies they tend to not give a shit if you don't get paid on time. Most Net 30 invoices usually go at least two weeks past due before I have to start calling and bitching people out.

If I could just get paid on time by my customers and could afford to have someone handle all my books and tax bullshit I can deal with the rest of the crap that comes with owning a business.

Iowanian
I'd hire Mohillbilly and put him in charge of the lot.

stevieray
14 years this month...I'll echo zoner....all of the crap you put up still doesn't outweigh being your own boss.

when its good... it's great, when its bad..it sucks.

Saulbadguy
06-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Life is too short to work at a job you hate.

Stewie
Being a one-man show is not running a business. Running a fireworks stand is working for the other guy.

Baconeater
My biggest problem is getting paid. When you are a small business and you do work for big companies like airlines and other large aerospace companies they tend to not give a shit if you don't get paid on time. Most Net 30 invoices usually go at least two weeks past due before I have to start calling and bitching people out.

If I could just get paid on time by my customers and could afford to have someone handle all my books and tax bullshit I can deal with the rest of the crap that comes with owning a business.
Amen to that, that shit pissed me off to no end...if I don't pay the people who I owe money to on time, my credit takes a hit...but as a contractor my only choices were to file a lien, or wait. My credit is destroyed from it, I doubt I could get loan for a used tricycle right now.

Stewie
06-11-2009, 05:10 PM

I work for an aerospace company and your statement is very true. It's sad to say, but the small guy gets the shaft because he has no leverage.

stevieray
06-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Being a one-man show is not running a business.

how so?

Stewie
06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
how so?

There's nothing to run. It's basically a job you do on your own. Try to sell said "business" and you'll get laughed at. The response will be, "You're not selling a business, you're selling a job. Jobs are everywhere."

It's like the one-man HVAC guy, house painter, lawn mower, landscaper, carpet cleaner. It's not really a business, it's work for hire.

stevieray
06-11-2009, 05:29 PM
There's nothing to run. It's basically a job you do on your own. Try to sell said "business" and you'll get laughed at. The response will be, "You're not selling a business, you're selling a job. Jobs are everywhere."

It's like the one-man HVAC guy, house painter, lawn mower, landscaper, carpet cleaner. It's not really a business, it's work for hire.

I disagree, but I've got to install the cam on my bitchin motor and get my bottom end buttoned up for paint!

bbl

Stewie
06-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I disagree, but I've got to install the cam on my bitchin motor and get my bottom end buttoned up for paint!

bbl

I hope the Chiefs have a good year.

Nzoner
06-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Being a one-man show is not running a business. Running a fireworks stand is working for the other guy.

Uh I believe the OP said manage people or own a business and I manage people at the firework business.

Baconeater
06-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Eh, it's somewhere in between, there's still a hell of a lot more to deal with than working for someone else. The IRS sees it differently as well.

Kyle DeLexus
06-11-2009, 05:37 PM

So if one guy opens up a small shop selling sandwiches or something like that it's not a business?

Stewie
06-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Uh I believe the OP said manage people or own a business and I manage people at the firework business.

He's a business owner AND manages people in the same business day after day, week after week. That's a huge distinction.

shitgoose
06-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I work for an aerospace company and your statement is very true. It's sad to say, but the small guy gets the shaft because he has no leverage.

Yep. But by god when they need me I don't get treated like shit, thats for sure. It always works best when said company is behind on the bills and they need me ASAP. I usually give them some flak about not paying and then do the job 'cause I know the check is in the mail because some manager called AP and told them to get off their asses and get me paid.

Nzoner
06-11-2009, 05:43 PM
He's a business owner AND manages people in the same business day after day, week after week. That's a huge distinction.

Jeebus,you say tomato I say tomatoe.

I think your outlook is BS when it comes to this topic and I only say that because every business is different in its own way and before you walk a day in my business shoes or anyone else here you have no right to to make judgements on what they do or don't do.

Skip Towne
06-11-2009, 06:00 PM
I've never had a job in my life. (Except the service and that wasn't my idea). Running businesses is very stressful and taxing. But there is a solution. Retire. That's what I did.

Boise_Chief
06-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Let me solve half of your problems. Consistency is the key.

With the job market the way it is there are 200 guys lined up to do the work. Have an employee meeting and let them know that they are expected to be adults. you don't care that they are hung over tired crabby etc. they have a job to do if they do it well they will not hear from you. They will be appreciated and treated very well. If they make your life hard then bad things happen. You do not have to let the inmates run the yard, you are the boss. explain what your plan is first warning second and dismissal and then stick to it. You have to be consistent always...
Have fun and take your life back.

Boise_Chief
06-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I have a lot of employees I only deal with on paydays and they are always happy. If they are not happy then I'm not happy. They always know what to expect from me.

jiveturkey
06-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Being a one man show still includes managing the books, not getting paid every two weeks, dealing with much more complicated taxes, have to sell your services, deliver your services, invoice your services, collect on late payments, and deal with vendors.

When I worked for someone else I just delivered service.

Managing people doesn't have anything to do with it. It would just be another item on the list. It's certainly one of the bigger headaches but not getting paid for a job you've completed is a much larger headache.

kstater
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Well my thoughts were summed up on the very first post. So, I got nuthin.

rockymtnchief
06-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Did you get their pay?

The pay was the same.

They did me give an office and a car allowance, though.

Skip Towne
06-12-2009, 12:12 AM
I once owned three car washes in Chanute, Kansas. I ran them by myself and they kept me hopping to keep them all going. But I was making about $80, 000 per year so I didn't care if someone didn't think I ran a business. The banks loved me when I showed up with $3000-4000 worth of quarters. It saved them from having to pay Brinks to deliver them I would still like to have a small one to supplement my social security.

Hog Farmer
06-12-2009, 05:19 AM
I own three different businesses, two of them I am the only employee. I constantly come in late and do my job half assed . I have thought many times I should just fire myself.

HonestChieffan
06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Today at our shop we come in to find some f**king thieves (pardon my french) cut off a catalytic converter on a piece of crap 95 chevy astro. Of course it's on a car that the bill was only $90 bucks, and now we are going to be in almost $300 bucks for the catalytic converter, y-pipe, and clamps/gaskets. Our shop insurance has a deductible of $500 bucks, so we will have to eat this. Technically we aren't liable for it, because we have a paper they sign that tells them this, but we don't do that to people, and we will take care of them if anything happens.

Back to the main point, my dad owns the shop, and I am the manager, It's not a huge place but when we are busy my job entails a lot of work. Everything from ordering parts, to running the business reports, sales tax, workers comp crap, billing our accounts payable, all aspects of HR and taking payments on the bills from the customers. I have the duty to price jobs, explain the job/problem that needs to be done, try and sell the job, handle everything but actually doing the job, then show them and explain the parts we replaced and why we did when they come into pay. So I look at this catalytic converter that was stolen and just cant let it go, as I see the money coming out of our pocket to pay for this. We loose money all because some bum doesn't want to work and earn his money. I'm only 22 and sometimes I just want to quit, I want a job with no responsibility and no accountability. Then when things are good it's like living la vida loca like ricky (except the pay still stinks), and your making the shop money and everyone is happy. Other times when it's slow or you get a week were nothing goes right, and your spending money rather than making it, I can barely sleep at night. I get tired of dealing with bitching bipolar employee's, I get tired of having to motivate employee's and give speeches about tardiness, and good work habits. I am old school like my dad, you come in to work early, you keep yourself busy, any job worth doing is worth doing right, and you dont bring you personal problems to work with you. Or if you do, you don't let it affect your working, if you need time off then take it. I spend so much time babysitting people and holding their hands, that it makes me stay late to get my job done. One thing I found, is people do not want responsibility, they look at their lives/family as X and their income as Y, as long as X is taken care of, they want Y and they want it by doing the least amount of work as possible to get it.

Just a long rant, those who manage people or are business owners feel free to chime in with their own rants. Just curious to hear others on this subject.

I understand, agree, and suffer from the same issues. If you could boil out the bullshit that adds zero to your business or your customers satisaction it would be a great thing.

Now, get back to those tax forms.

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 08:04 AM
14 years this month...I'll echo zoner....all of the crap you put up still doesn't outweigh being your own boss.

when its good... it's great, when its bad..it sucks.

i'll third this

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 08:05 AM

i disagree here, a one man show with enough repeat customers can, and will, sell. tools and equipment also

Fire Me Boy!
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
See, that's all that I was looking for, I know dealing with people will always be a chore. I was just ranting and wanting to hear some input on the topic, and just blow a little steam off. I think one of the biggest issues I have is that sometimes I have to do other peoples jobs because I simply don't want to have them do it wrong and me fix it anyway. Sometimes the only person you can trust to do the job right is yourself. I feel for you, that's a lot more load than I deal with.

One of the things they teach in management is that you need to let them make their mistakes. And when they do it wrong, don't you clean it up for them. Make them clean up their own mistakes. One of your goals as a manager is to make them a better employee, both for yourself and for them.

That's something I struggle with a little. Sometimes I'd rather do it right myself than let someone else make the mistake. Another pitfall is to make decisions for them - let them make decisions, even if it's the wrong one.

Obviously, this has to be weighed with the consequences involved and what's right/good for business.

There's my two cents.

El Jefe
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM

I know what you mean, we do a lot of work for big landscaping companies, and we do work for Ohio Penal Industries, and a ton of work for the Cities and Townships around us. Sometimes it can be a major PITA to get paid, and we have had invoices go unpaid for 3-4 months. Now that I have taken over that duty, we havent had one go unpaid for over a month and a half.

Rain Man
06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I own three different businesses, two of them I am the only employee. I constantly come in late and do my job half assed . I have thought many times I should just fire myself.

You'd probably just sue yourself and end up losing everything. But at least you'd be rich.

Buehler445
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Not really. The organization (even if it is only one person) still fulfills the basic functions of business. They must manage inputs, outputs, costs, regulations, marketing, and taxes.

So if Nzoner hires me to put on rubber bands it then makes him a business? I'm not buying it.

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 01:32 PM
my job is pleasing the ladies, and business is goood

Nzoner
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
So if Nzoner hires me to put on rubber bands it then makes him a business? I'm not buying it.

huh?

Buehler445
06-12-2009, 03:25 PM
huh?

Stewie suggested that you weren't a business owner because it is just you.

I posted that to how how absurd it would be if you hired me to put on rubber bands and then you would suddenly become a business when nothing would really change except you don't put on nearly as many rubber bands.

IMO, you do all the regular functions of business, it's dumb for him to suggest you don't run a business.

Normally I agree with Stewie's takes, but this one is off base IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nzoner
06-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Stewie suggested that you weren't a business owner because it is just you.

I posted that to how how absurd it would be if you hired me to put on rubber bands and then you would suddenly become a business when nothing would really change except you don't put on nearly as many rubber bands.

IMO, you do all the regular functions of business, it's dumb for him to suggest you don't run a business.

Normally I agree with Stewie's takes, but this one is off base IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Got it and I toally agree,however,just for the record my advertising business consist of the mrs and I on full time,a full time secretary/distribution manager and 3 part-time labeler/inserters.

rockymtnchief
06-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Shoe salesman?

Buehler445
06-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Got it and I toally agree,however,just for the record my advertising business consist of the mrs and I on full time,a full time secretary/distribution manager and 3 part-time labeler/inserters.

So you don't have room for a rubber bander? :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Nzoner
06-12-2009, 03:41 PM
So you don't have room for a rubber bander? :D
Posted via Mobile Device

that job goes to the lableler/inserters

Buehler445
06-12-2009, 03:48 PM
that job goes to the lableler/inserters

Damn. I thought I had a new career path...
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
06-12-2009, 04:11 PM

You still outsourcing to India?