PDA

View Full Version : Electronics TV Question

G-MONEY
06-11-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm in the market for a new TV. Finally making the jump to a nice flat screen. My budget is around $1000. What's the best buy for me? Thanks in advance, guys.

SBK
06-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I'd go with something for less than $1,000 if I were you.

G-MONEY
06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Such as?

pr_capone
06-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I would start at 999 and go down from there. :D

Seriously though... what size are you looking at, do you have brand preferences, do you prefer LCD, DLP, or Plasma, how many components do you need to plug in?

G-MONEY
06-11-2009, 11:17 PM
I would start at 999 and go down from there. :D

Seriously though... what size are you looking at, do you have brand preferences, do you prefer LCD, DLP, or Plasma, how many components do you need to plug in?

Well I'd like as big as possible. I don't really know what the major differences are between LCD, DLP and Plasma but I can tell you it will mainly be used for watching sports and a good number of movies. By components I assume you mean like DVD players, X-Boxes, etc.? In which case I'll have a dvd player and X-Box 360. Sorry for being such a newbie when it comes to this stuff but that's why I needed some advice.

MoreLemonPledge
06-12-2009, 02:58 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9219213&type=product&id=1218061795104

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this one. $600 for a 42" Plasma is an amazing deal, especially since it's name brand.

I've done a lot of research and it you really can't get a much better deal than this for what you're getting.

JD10367
06-12-2009, 09:19 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9219213&type=product&id=1218061795104

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this one. $600 for a 42" Plasma is an amazing deal, especially since it's name brand.

I've done a lot of research and it you really can't get a much better deal than this for what you're getting.

Yes, but that's a 720p. If you're going bigger than 32" you probably want 1080p. (32" or smaller, it doesn't really matter as much, although Blu-Ray will look better with 1080p for sure.)

In short: LCD used to suck, but their pics are now pretty good. Plasma used to burn in, but they don't do so as much. DLP has a nice pic, but the bulbs can be expensive and I think they're best viewed straight-on and with little light in the room (although I could be wrong).

The smallest you probably want to go is 32" IMO. 27" just ain't worth it. But if you go too big the image won't be as sharp, so you have to ask if having a few extra inches is worth a reduction in picture quality.

You should go to your local big-box and check out some models side by side, keeping in mind that they've set the pics to look as good as possible in their store (but you'll still get the idea). Things to look for are resolution (720p vs. 1080p) and contrast ratio (the higher the better, i.e., a TV with a 20,000:1 contrast ratio will give you deeper blacks than, say, a TV with 5000:1) as well as number of inputs.

More on the inputs: Composite is the "old-school RCA style", a white and a red for your L-R sound and one yellow for the video image. That's the least quality. A step up is Component inputs, which takes that yellow and breaks it up instead into three color wires (Red, Green, Blue): this will give you a better picture. The highest quality is HDMI; the cables will rip you off if you buy them in the store, but you can get them cheap online. You want at LEAST two HDMI inputs (one for HD Cable and one for a Blu-Ray DVD player or a PS3 or something), as well as one, if not two, Component inputs (for an upscaling DVD player or a lesser-quality input from a game system like a PS2 or Wii), and a couple of old-style Composite inputs can't hurt either (for a really old VCR or something).

G-MONEY
06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes, but that's a 720p. If you're going bigger than 32" you probably want 1080p. (32" or smaller, it doesn't really matter as much, although Blu-Ray will look better with 1080p for sure.)

In short: LCD used to suck, but their pics are now pretty good. Plasma used to burn in, but they don't do so as much. DLP has a nice pic, but the bulbs can be expensive and I think they're best viewed straight-on and with little light in the room (although I could be wrong).

The smallest you probably want to go is 32" IMO. 27" just ain't worth it. But if you go too big the image won't be as sharp, so you have to ask if having a few extra inches is worth a reduction in picture quality.

You should go to your local big-box and check out some models side by side, keeping in mind that they've set the pics to look as good as possible in their store (but you'll still get the idea). Things to look for are resolution (720p vs. 1080p) and contrast ratio (the higher the better, i.e., a TV with a 20,000:1 contrast ratio will give you deeper blacks than, say, a TV with 5000:1) as well as number of inputs.

More on the inputs: Composite is the "old-school RCA style", a white and a red for your L-R sound and one yellow for the video image. That's the least quality. A step up is Component inputs, which takes that yellow and breaks it up instead into three color wires (Red, Green, Blue): this will give you a better picture. The highest quality is HDMI; the cables will rip you off if you buy them in the store, but you can get them cheap online. You want at LEAST two HDMI inputs (one for HD Cable and one for a Blu-Ray DVD player or a PS3 or something), as well as one, if not two, Component inputs (for an upscaling DVD player or a lesser-quality input from a game system like a PS2 or Wii), and a couple of old-style Composite inputs can't hurt either (for a really old VCR or something).

That is incredibly helpful. Thank you for that advice. Could you give me your thoughts on this one? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9329381&type=product&id=1218086176467

From what I can tell it looks like a helluva deal. Great price, huge screen, 1080p, and 3 HDMI inputs as well as 2 components and 2 composites. The only thing I can find to be concerned about is 3000:1 contrast ratio, which seems like it might be low but I'm not really sure. Let me know what you think.

KCChiefsMan
06-12-2009, 12:54 PM
there really isn't much noticable difference between 720p and 1080p. Blueray will look like blueray in 720p

JD10367
06-12-2009, 01:51 PM
That is incredibly helpful. Thank you for that advice. Could you give me your thoughts on this one? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9329381&type=product&id=1218086176467

From what I can tell it looks like a helluva deal. Great price, huge screen, 1080p, and 3 HDMI inputs as well as 2 components and 2 composites. The only thing I can find to be concerned about is 3000:1 contrast ratio, which seems like it might be low but I'm not really sure. Let me know what you think.

The contrast ratio is indeed low, and Proscan IIRC is just their cheap in-house brand. On the other hand, you're talking a 40-inch 1080p for $500, which is a ridiculously low price IMO. Hell, I got a Panasonic 32" 720p for that price about six months ago... and that was a good deal.

I would definitely find a Best Buy and take a look at the thing in person and see if you like the pic... since, after all, you're gonna be the one watching it, and how you think it looks ultimately matters a lot more than a bunch of numbers. I might just go take a look at one myself, and move the 32-incher into the bedroom! :)

DeepPurple
06-12-2009, 01:59 PM
How far you sit from the TV will determine the size you need. In our family room our recliners are 12 feet from the TV. In 2005 I bought a Sony 42" HD TV. In 2007 I moved that TV to the bedroom and bought a 50" Panasonic for the family room.

Now the 42" is perfect in the bedroom at the foot of the bed and the 50" is perfect in the family room 12' from my recliner. In June 2008 I switched from Comcast and their 28 HD channels to Directv Premium package and over 100 HD channels, all is well.

osumatt
06-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Take a look at Tigerdirect.com. I just got a 46" Toshiba (46RV53OU) back in March for $999.99 plus 52.41 in shipping - no tax though. It's a great TV with excellent picture quality. Don't forget to figure in the HDMI cables, HD TV (Direct TV is what I upgraded to), and probably a new TV stand. It's an investment well worth it!

Lzen
06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Here is a 52" Toshiba LCD 1080p for $999.96. It's a refurb, btw. That doesn't bother me, though. I have a refurb Toshiba laptop and a refurb LCD Vizio 42" TV with which I have been happy.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3771003&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

BCD
06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
If you like the look of a plasma, don't let anyone discourage you from buying it. The life expectancy of a plasma is the same as an LCD. I have a plasma because I think it provides a better picture than LCD.

BCD
06-12-2009, 07:15 PM
there really isn't much noticable difference between 720p and 1080p. Blueray will look like blueray in 720pROFL Um, yeah, OK...LMAO

G-MONEY
06-12-2009, 07:24 PM
If you like the look of a plasma, don't let anyone discourage you from buying it. The life expectancy of a plasma is the same as an LCD. I have a plasma because I think it provides a better picture than LCD.

What's the difference between plasma and LCD? Is one generally considered better than the other?

BCD
06-12-2009, 08:09 PM
What's the difference between plasma and LCD? Is one generally considered better than the other?Plasmas are better for darker rooms because glare can be an issue compared to LCD, which are virtually glare free. That is why LCDs are best for brightly lit rooms. LCDs have a problem with motion-blur. Now, you can get an LCD with the 120-240 Hz re-fresh rate. These models cost more. Plasmas don't really have an issue with blur. Personally, I just think plasma looks better. Plasmas are generally less expensive than LCD. My 50" Samsung plasma was only $1300. Also, whichever technology you decide to go with, Samsung is one of the best, along with Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sony. I recommend an extended warranty, also.

KCChiefsMan
06-13-2009, 02:45 AM
ROFL Um, yeah, OK...LMAO

wooops. What I meant to say is that 720p/1080i TVs, there isn't much noticable difference between the 1080i and 1080p and most (or all) 720p TVs have 1080i. That's where I was intending to go, sorry. Basically it's not a must have.

example: I have a 720p/1080i 42" plasma. If I were to hook up a blu ray player to it and put my TV next to a 1080p 42" plasma and play the same movie side by side, it would be difficult to see the difference.

Miles
06-13-2009, 03:20 AM
wooops. What I meant to say is that 720p/1080i TVs, there isn't much noticable difference between the 1080i and 1080p and most (or all) 720p TVs have 1080i. That's where I was intending to go, sorry. Basically it's not a must have.

example: I have a 720p/1080i 42" plasma. If I were to hook up a blu ray player to it and put my TV next to a 1080p 42" plasma and play the same movie side by side, it would be difficult to see the difference.

I think it entirely depends on the quality of the TV and how much value you place on the somewhat marginal added resolution at that screen size.

Miles
06-13-2009, 03:38 AM
Plasmas are better for darker rooms because glare can be an issue compared to LCD, which are virtually glare free. That is why LCDs are best for brightly lit rooms. LCDs have a problem with motion-blur. Now, you can get an LCD with the 120-240 Hz re-fresh rate. These models cost more. Plasmas don't really have an issue with blur. Personally, I just think plasma looks better. Plasmas are generally less expensive than LCD. My 50" Samsung plasma was only $1300. Also, whichever technology you decide to go with, Samsung is one of the best, along with Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sony. I recommend an extended warranty, also.

I think the motion blur issue with LCD's is pretty overblown. I am pretty critical and have never really seen it on any LCD's. If you are staring at tires/rims on a moving car in a movie you might notice it on a 60hz LCD but I never have.

MoreLemonPledge
06-13-2009, 04:10 AM
1080p is nice and all, but you really can't notice it until you get to 50+ inches unless you sit 5 feet from the TV. At a normal 10-12 ft away, it's virtually indistinguishable to all but the most critical videophiles. Considering that Blu-Ray and some videogames are almost solely the sources for 1080p right now, you really have to wonder if it's worth the premium on many TVs.

That being said, I would certainly get a 1080p if the right deal presented itself.

MoreLemonPledge
06-13-2009, 04:14 AM
Plasmas are better for darker rooms because glare can be an issue compared to LCD, which are virtually glare free. That is why LCDs are best for brightly lit rooms. LCDs have a problem with motion-blur. Now, you can get an LCD with the 120-240 Hz re-fresh rate. These models cost more. Plasmas don't really have an issue with blur. Personally, I just think plasma looks better. Plasmas are generally less expensive than LCD. My 50" Samsung plasma was only $1300. Also, whichever technology you decide to go with, Samsung is one of the best, along with Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sony. I recommend an extended warranty, also.

Plasmas are really underrated. Most of their problems have been addressed, but people still treat them like they're completely inferior to LCD. Plasmas have darker blacks, better refresh rates, and lower prices.

In reality, you can get a lot more screen size for a lot cheaper in many instances.

JD10367
06-13-2009, 10:08 AM
1080p is nice and all, but you really can't notice it until you get to 50+ inches unless you sit 5 feet from the TV. At a normal 10-12 ft away, it's virtually indistinguishable to all but the most critical videophiles. Considering that Blu-Ray and some videogames are almost solely the sources for 1080p right now, you really have to wonder if it's worth the premium on many TVs.

That being said, I would certainly get a 1080p if the right deal presented itself.

I have that 32" 720p Panasonic, and my parents have a $2,000 gigundo LG 1080p (50"? Dunno, but it's big) and I swear the picture looks better on my TV. Might just be because it's a smaller image and can be sharper, or maybe it's the cable provider (they have Comcast, I have Cox).

Smed1065
06-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I have 2 Panys and both are Great. I have a 720P and a 1080 but cant tell the difference. Plasma both and cant imagine why the downers on plasma.

My main TV is 720P and unless less than 7 foot, no difference. I was worried but Pany plasma is the shit. IMO

If you get a 50 inches, you might want 1080P unless U sit 8 foot or less from said tv.

Smed1065
06-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I have that 32" 720p Panasonic, and my parents have a $2,000 gigundo LG 1080p (50"? Dunno, but it's big) and I swear the picture looks better on my TV. Might just be because it's a smaller image and can be sharper, or maybe it's the cable provider (they have Comcast, I have Cox).

Smaller is better but 1080 is not much improved unless you sit less than 6 foot from said set.

G-MONEY
06-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Someone mentioned video games are almost the sole reason for the 1080s so does that mean I should get 1080 if I play X-Box?

MoreLemonPledge
06-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Someone mentioned video games are almost the sole reason for the 1080s so does that mean I should get 1080 if I play X-Box?

Won't be a huge difference, but it can play some games in 1080p and upconvert DVDs to 1080p over HDMI and VGA (not over component).

G-MONEY
06-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Won't be a huge difference, but it can play some games in 1080p and upconvert DVDs to 1080p over HDMI and VGA (not over component).

So let make sure I get what you're saying, having a TV with 1080p allows you to play some games and watch some DVDs in a higher quality than with 710?

Silock
06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
So let make sure I get what you're saying, having a TV with 1080p allows you to play some games and watch some DVDs in a higher quality than with 710?

Only if you have a component capable of broadcasting a 1080p signal (like a PS3, Xbox, or Blu-Ray player). DVDs may be "upconverted," but they're always going to be 480i source material.

BTW, I would recommend hitting up Costco or Sam's Club when purchasing a TV. They have better warranties than Best Buy, and the TVs are much cheaper. Vizios are a great value. Good picture, and you can generally get a much larger screen than other brands for the same price.

KCChiefsMan
06-13-2009, 01:42 PM
just dont be fooled into thinking you need the monster cables and warranty that they will try to sell you. You will need HDMI, but you won't need to spend $100 on them. They push their salespeople to sell warranties for a reason, they are like 75% profit to them as 15% usually goes to employees for their commission and the other 10% is for returns that they honor. They come out way ahead on those warranties.

BCD
06-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Plasmas are really underrated. Most of their problems have been addressed, but people still treat them like they're completely inferior to LCD. Plasmas have darker blacks, better refresh rates, and lower prices.

In reality, you can get a lot more screen size for a lot cheaper in many instances.Exactly. Plasmas got a bad rep early on, deservedly so. But they made he nessessary improvements. I love my plasma.

BCD
06-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Only if you have a component capable of broadcasting a 1080p signal (like a PS3, Xbox, or Blu-Ray player). DVDs may be "upconverted," but they're always going to be 480i source material.

BTW, I would recommend hitting up Costco or Sam's Club when purchasing a TV. They have better warranties than Best Buy, and the TVs are much cheaper. Vizios are a great value. Good picture, and you can generally get a much larger screen than other brands for the same price.I bought my Samsung from Best buy. I got a 4-yr extended for $260. Covers everything except something thrown thru it.