PDA

View Full Version : Football Vick Released Per ESPN

Gonzo
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Didn't see this anywhere...

ATLANTA -- Quarterback Michael Vick's time with the Atlanta Falcons is officially over.

Vick, who is serving the remainder of his prison sentence on dogfighting charges under house arrest in Virginia, was released by the team Friday.

"Michael remains suspended by the NFL," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement. "However, in the event NFL commissioner Roger Goodell decides to reinstate Michael, we feel his best opportunity to re-engage his football career would be at another club.

"Our entire organization sincerely hopes that Michael will continue to focus his efforts making positive changes in his life and we wish him well in that regard."

The Falcons have been trying to trade Vick for months, but found no takers. Instead of holding onto him and hoping that someone would step forward with a trade, they chose to put the Vick era behind them.

The move was no surprise. Owner Arthur Blank has said Vick would not return to the Falcons.

"Everybody always knew that Mike wouldn't be playing with the Falcons," Vick's agent, Joel Segal, said. "He's really just taking it one day at a time."

The NFL had no comment on Vick's release.

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said the team's release of Vick opens the door for other NFL teams to talk with the quarterback. Roberts said Vick can sign with another team even before Goodell decides on clearing the way for Vick to play.

Goodell has not committed to reinstating Vick after the quarterback completes his 23-month sentence on July 20 for running a dogfighting ring. Vick has been on home confinement since leaving federal prison in Kansas on May 20.

Even while making it clear Vick had no football future with the Falcons, Blank has said he would be available to assist Vick. As an organization Atlanta has turned the page since drafting quarterback Matt Ryan, who went on to become the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year last season.

Vick still will cost the Falcons $6.4 million in salary-cap space.

Vick was the figurehead for the Falcons and, as a dual-threat quarterback, was one of the NFL's most dynamic stars from 2001-2006 before his sudden downfall.

Goodell said last month he would not make a decision on Vick before the end of his sentence.

"Once he's concluded that, I will make a judgment based on what he tells me and what I can determine from speaking to others and a final background check on this and make a determination at the right time," Goodell said.

Speculation about Vick's NFL future started even before his release from the Falcons.

Jim Mora, whose Vick-led team advanced to the NFC championship game in 2003, said this week he doesn't expect Vick to find a job with his Seattle team.

"I'll just say this for the record: We are very happy with the quarterbacks we have on our roster," Mora said. "We have no intentions of adding another player to our roster at this time. ... Just cut out the 'at this time,' because then people will speculate for the next three months. We have no intentions of adding a quarterback to our roster."

Even as he hopes for reinstatement from Goodell and begins his search for another NFL home, Vick faces other pressing priorities, including his crumbled finances.

On Tuesday, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Frank Santoro set a July 2 deadline for Vick to submit a revised Chapter 11 plan. A hearing to confirm or reject the plan was set for Aug. 27.

Santoro said that if the new plan fails to address the shortcomings that prompted him to reject the first one in April, he will appoint an independent trustee to take over management of Vick's finances.

Information from ESPN.com NFC South

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4253231

Gonzo
06-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't know why they held on to his contract this long if they never intended on trading anyway.

Old Dog
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't know who it will be, but some team will likely grab him before long even with the PR nighmare he'll bring with him. I DON'T think it will be the Raiders.
As long as it isn't the Chiefs though, I don't really care.

Old Dog
06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't know why they held on to his contract this long if they never intended on trading anyway.

Hell, I think they would have traded him in a second if they had gotten any team to give them anything (I don't mean a second or third, I mean ANYTHING).

JD10367
06-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Hell, I think they would have traded him in a second if they had gotten any team to give them anything (I don't mean a second or third, I mean ANYTHING).

Yup. I'm sure they were hoping some sucker team bit for a 6th-round draft pick or something.

I'm still on the fence about him. He's a scumbag, but he's paid his legal price, and there are plenty of scumbags in the NFL. He'd come cheaply for whatever club wanted him, and with Miami's revival of the Wildcat offense he might actually have some on-field value if he can translate into a WR or something, or even as a simple change-of-pace goal-line QB. He WOULD require the opponent to game-plan for him, and that's worth it 'cause when an opponent has to worry about something it's less time they can devote to worrying about other stuff. (Hence the reason Vrabel is an excellent goal-line threat as a pass-catcher.) Do I want the Pats to sign him? Hell no, but I also know the Pats don't need him; if the Pats were coming off a 4-win season and bottom-feeding in the conference, I might think differently. I still say Oakland is the perfect place for him to end up...

Simply Red
06-12-2009, 11:30 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/mkwvvc.jpg

Mr. Krab
06-12-2009, 12:05 PM
It was really hard to trade him because of his huge contract. His new team is going to use him as a wildkat QB or WR they aren't going to pay him 8 million dollars a year for that.

Kyle DeLexus
06-12-2009, 12:13 PM

They tried to deal him for a 7th in the draft. No one would trade anything for him though, Blank has publicly stated many times that Vick is done with Atlanta so why trade for him if you know he'll be released and come cheaper.

kepp
06-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Goodell said last month he would not make a decision on Vick before the end of his sentence.

"Once he's concluded that, I will make a judgment based on what he tells me and what I can determine from speaking to others and a final background check on this and make a determination at the right time," Goodell said.

I'm not trying to minimize his criminal offenses and I've never been a Vick fan, but people who have done worse things have been reinstated. It seems like there are a lot of people saying that he shouldn't get another chance to play and blah-blah-blah. IMO - he served his time and should get another chance.

Brock
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
He served his time, he's free to re-enter society. Playing in the NFL is a privelige that he threw away and it shouldn't be given back to him.

whoman69
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM

It was a pipe dream that they thought a team would take over that contract after his issues.

rad
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Bring him in for a look......teach the young guys to keep gas in their tank, etc,etc......

SBK
06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Print 'em!!

rad
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I have a feeling that wherever Vick ends up, he'll be dogging it during practice.......they may keep him on a short leash and if he doesn't respond positively will end up in the doghouse for sure.

Kyle DeLexus
06-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a feeling that wherever Vick ends up, he'll be dogging it during practice.......they may keep him on a short leash and if he doesn't respond positively will end up in the doghouse for sure.

To soon.

kepp
06-12-2009, 01:17 PM
He served his time, he's free to re-enter society. Playing in the NFL is a privelige that he threw away and it shouldn't be given back to him.

So a "normal" person - say a mechanic - shouldn't be able to re-enter the same field of work after serving their time either?

Thig Lyfe
06-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I can barely remember a time when Michael Vick actually played football. Doesn't it seem like he's been out of the game for years and years?

Brock
06-12-2009, 02:04 PM
So a "normal" person - say a mechanic - shouldn't be able to re-enter the same field of work after serving their time either?

Who said anything like that? Vick can play all the football he wants, in Canada.

rad
06-12-2009, 02:36 PM

:spock:

CoMoChief
06-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Dog torturer or not, on the football field the guy has freakish like talents and a person that you have to plan your entire defense around. I'd take him.

Old Dog
06-12-2009, 03:18 PM
I'd take him.

If the Chiefs so much as "brought him in for a look" not only would I not renew my tickets, I would find another team. That's just my .02 though

kepp
06-12-2009, 03:23 PM
:spock:

What's :spock: about it?

Brock
06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
What's :spock: about it?

It's actually a little more :drool:.

kepp
06-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Same question then.

rad
06-12-2009, 03:58 PM

Holy shit, I think he's serious.

rad
06-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Your comparison of a mechanic to a professional football player is....well......where's Donger when you need him?

rad
06-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Amazing?

No.....

Garcia Bronco
06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
He deserves as much an opportunity to continue his career as anyone else. The NFL teams also have a right not to hire him.

Lumpy
06-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm sure that Vick being released has to do w/ the team's image. Look at Michael Phelps getting caught w/ weed... same thing. Kellogg's dropped him from their ad campaign immediately. A mechanic, on the other hand, isn't in the public eye. Therefore, it's not a fair comparison.

Dottefan
06-12-2009, 06:42 PM

HOPE THE COMMISIONER HAS A DIFFRENT OPINION THAN YOU DO. ( IN ALL CAPS JUST FOR YOU BROCK)

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 06:53 PM
He deserves as much an opportunity to continue his career as anyone else. The NFL teams also have a right not to hire him.

this. he did his time the league shouldnt punish him more. let the teams make that decision.

OnTheWarpath58
06-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm not trying to minimize his criminal offenses and I've never been a Vick fan, but people who have done worse things have been reinstated. It seems like there are a lot of people saying that he shouldn't get another chance to play and blah-blah-blah. IMO - he served his time and should get another chance.

Who's done something worse under Goodell's watch and been re-instated?

Things are different now. Goodell is actually concerned about the image of the league. Tagliabue could give a shit.

Kill someone while drunk? You can play.

Multiple DUI's? You can play.

There was never a deterrent under Tags - you knew you'd be right back on the field after your suspension - there was never a concern about losing the right to play in the league.

THIS.

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Who's done something worse under Goodell's watch and been re-instated?

Things are different now. Goodell is actually concerned about the image of the league. Tagliabue could give a shit.

Kill someone while drunk? You can play.

Multiple DUI's? You can play.

There was never a deterrent under Tags - you knew you'd be right back on the field after your suspension - there was never a concern about losing the right to play in the league.

THIS.

so one mistake and you're out for good? hell pacman got more than that and his crimes were actually against, gasp, people

wild1
06-12-2009, 06:58 PM
any front office that is dumb enough to think he can quarterback in the league deserves him.

don't even think he would work as a gadget player, personally.

OnTheWarpath58
06-12-2009, 06:59 PM
this. he did his time the league shouldnt punish him more. let the teams make that decision.

He served his time that was given to him by the federal government/state.

He's yet to serve any time for the numerous NFL conduct policies he violated.

I'll say this - Goodell would basically slit his own throat by re-instating Vick right away considering the hardline he's took with other players who committed much lessor offenses than MV did.

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:00 PM
any front office that is dumb enough to think he can quarterback in the league deserves him.

don't even think he would work as a gadget player, personally.

really? the guy is elusive, FAST, can throw somewhat, i would bet he can catch. i dont know he will get the chance and find a fit somewhere IMO

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:01 PM
He served his time that was given to him by the federal government/state.

He's yet to serve any time for the numerous NFL conduct policies he violated.

I'll say this - Goodell would basically slit his own throat by re-instating Vick right away considering the hardline he's took with other players who committed much lessor offenses than MV did.

REALLY? so they suspended him only after being convicted huh?

OnTheWarpath58
06-12-2009, 07:03 PM
so one mistake and you're out for good? hell pacman got more than that and his crimes were actually against, gasp, people

First, Vick hasn't made ONE mistake. He's got a rap sheet a mile long. He's not a first offender.

Second, I'm not sure that Jones was actually convicted of anything. He obviously wasn't the triggerman - and you're making my point - he lost his right to play for a period of time as established by the LEAGUE.

Vick should too.

If he keeps his nose clean and re-enters society without incident for the next year, by all means, re-instate him.

OnTheWarpath58
06-12-2009, 07:04 PM
really? the guy is elusive, FAST, can throw somewhat, i would bet he can catch. i dont know he will get the chance and find a fit somewhere IMO

He hasn't played ball in 3 years.

He's over 30 years old.

He's a PR nightmare.

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:04 PM
just to make it clear i'm not advocating us going after him. i just think that a young guy made a mistake and should have a chance to resume his playing career and life. most on here dont realize how ingrained dog fights are in the black community, it's a lot like rooster fighting for mexicans. everyone should get a 2nd chance

Brock
06-12-2009, 07:05 PM
just to make it clear i'm not advocating us going after him. i just think that a young guy made a mistake and should have a chance to resume his playing career and life. most on here dont realize how ingrained dog fights are in the black community, it's a lot like rooster fighting for mexicans. everyone should get a 2nd chance

Is torturing dogs to death ingrained in the black community?

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:05 PM
First, Vick hasn't made ONE mistake. He's got a rap sheet a mile long. He's not a first offender.

Second, I'm not sure that Jones was actually convicted of anything. He obviously wasn't the triggerman - and you're making my point - he lost his right to play for a period of time as established by the LEAGUE.

Vick should too.

If he keeps his nose clean and re-enters society without incident for the next year, by all means, re-instate him.

he WAS suspended BEFORE being convicted right? and you are making the point too in your next post. he HASNT played in the league for three years

OnTheWarpath58
06-12-2009, 07:06 PM
REALLY? so they suspended him only after being convicted huh?

Could he have played even if Goodell hadn't officially suspended him?

Why should his punishment from the league run concurrent to his punishment from the league?

God, why am I shocked that people actually line up to defend this guy?

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Is torturing dogs to death ingrained in the black community?

what do you think they do with dogs that dont do well? like i said before i dont think what he did was right, but he should get a 2nd chance IMO

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Could he have played even if Goodell hadn't officially suspended him?

Why should his punishment from the league run concurrent to his punishment from the league?

God, why am I shocked that people actually line up to defend this guy?

BEFORE he was convicted, yeah

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:08 PM
and here's the kicker: if he WASNT mike vck do you think he would have done one day in jail?

Mr. Krab
06-12-2009, 07:09 PM
There are more places to play football than the NFL. Vick does have the right/ability to continue his profession. The NFL has the right to tell him to go get fucked too.

Brock
06-12-2009, 07:09 PM
what do you think they do with dogs that dont do well? like i said before i dont think what he did was right, but he should get a 2nd chance IMO

They routinely electrocute, drown, or hang dogs from trees when they don't do well? I don't think you know as much about dogfighting as you profess to.

Brock
06-12-2009, 07:10 PM
and here's the kicker: if he WASNT mike vck do you think he would have done one day in jail?

:LOL: Needless to say, yes.

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:11 PM
They routinely electrocute, drown, or hang dogs from trees when they don't do well? I don't think you know as much about dogfighting as you profess to.

ROFL ok and yet you seem to be an expert

Mr. Krab
06-12-2009, 07:11 PM
I think Vick should of had to spend an hour each day in one of those rape cages while he was in jail.

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:12 PM

bullshit. i know guys who have been caught fighting roosters right there in KC and fines only

OnTheWarpath58
06-12-2009, 07:12 PM

If he wasn't Mike Vick he would have been sentenced to the 5 year maximum sentence that goes with his crimes. Dogfighting, animal cruelty, gambling, interstate commerce...

He got off light because of who he is.

Brock
06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
bullshit. i know guys who have been caught fighting roosters right there in KC and fines only

Nobody cares about chickens. Is that really tough for you to grasp?

OnTheWarpath58
06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
There are more places to play football than the NFL. Vick does have the right/ability to continue his profession. The NFL has the right to tell him to go get fucked too.

Agree, and I hope they do.

I hope Canada tells him to as well.

JASONSAUTO
06-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Nobody cares about chickens. Is that really tough for you to grasp?

whats the difference? BOTH are animals

Brock
06-12-2009, 09:11 PM

One of them, a hundred million Americans eat every day. I'll let you figure the rest out.

DeezNutz
06-12-2009, 09:13 PM

I just recently acquired a guide chicken, which should serve as a nice pair for my bomb-sniffing chicken. The kids just love to snuggle up with these little cuties.

Coach
06-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Do we eat dogs? (Hot dogs does not count, because it is not made out of a dog)

Do we eat chicken?

phillip
06-12-2009, 10:25 PM

My pet chicken wanted me to quote this for truth. We're gonna go play tug now.

Jethopper
06-13-2009, 02:21 AM
Don't blame him and his brother. The trashy mom was the problem

JASONSAUTO
06-13-2009, 09:37 AM
One of them, a hundred million Americans eat every day. I'll let you figure the rest out.

I just recently acquired a guide chicken, which should serve as a nice pair for my bomb-sniffing chicken. The kids just love to snuggle up with these little cuties.

Do we eat chicken?

My pet chicken wanted me to quote this for truth. We're gonna go play tug now.

ROFL but to those guys dogs werent pets. that's my point. the dogs were looked at on the same scale as chickens.

Kerberos
06-13-2009, 09:54 AM

I disagree

If it had NOT been Micheal Vick the FEDS would NEVER have come in, taken over the case, and tried him in Federal Court. The feds got some pressure to go in and find something from activist groups. That county in Virginia was about to reduce the whole thing to a fine if you remember the news at the time? Feds came in to make an example out of Vick.

Had this been anyone else of NON-celeb status the chances of it going federal would have been slim to none IMHO.

JASONSAUTO
06-13-2009, 09:56 AM
I disagree

If it had NOT been Micheal Vick the FEDS would NEVER have come in, taken over the case, and tried him in Federal Court. The feds got some pressure to go in and find something from activist groups. That county in Virginia was about to reduce the whole thing to a fine if you remember the news at the time? Feds came in to make an example out of Vick.

Had this been anyone else of NON-celeb status the chances of it going federal would have been slim to none IMHO.

i agree. the charges would not have been levied against him.

milkman
06-13-2009, 09:57 AM

So Vick should have done his dubious deeds in China?

Brock
06-13-2009, 10:04 AM
So Vick should have done his dubious deeds in China?

He can go play football in China, where dogs are looked at like chickens.

milkman
06-13-2009, 10:13 AM
He can go play football in China, where dogs are looked at like chickens.

I have no problem with that idea.

Hell, as a matter fact, I think someone should start a petition.

Mecca
06-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Do we eat chicken?

In other countries they do....I know that concept may seem bizarre to some but what makes a dog better than say a cow cause you eat one and not the other?

He'll end up on a team, hell the humane society is supporting of his comeback of all things. People fuckup, the fact that some people act like he should just be banned from everything and go off himself are a little ridiculous.

Smed1065
06-13-2009, 01:10 PM
So true. Not third strike. IMO

Brock
06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
In other countries they do.....

Other countries don't have NFL teams. Irrelevant, stupid.

Frazod
06-13-2009, 01:30 PM
In other countries they do....I know that concept may seem bizarre to some but what makes a dog better than say a cow cause you eat one and not the other?

He'll end up on a team, hell the humane society is supporting of his comeback of all things. People fuckup, the fact that some people act like he should just be banned from everything and go off himself are a little ridiculous.

The thing with Vick is I seriously doubt he believes he did anything wrong. Dog fighting is something he's always done and that's it. He's probably pissed that he got caught, and certainly regrets getting so wrapped up in it after the steep price he paid.

I'd say about 99.99% of all celebrity apologies are flat out lies uttered for the sole purpose of mitigating PR damage. Vick is no different.

Mecca
06-13-2009, 01:32 PM
The thing with Vick is I seriously doubt he believes he did anything wrong. Dog fighting is something he's always done and that's it. He's probably pissed that he got caught, and certainly regrets getting so wrapped up in it after the steep price he paid.

I'd say about 99.99% of all celebrity apologies are flat out lies uttered for the sole purpose of mitigating PR damage. Vick is no different.

And everyone likes comebacks and 2nd chances it's all part of society.

Frazod
06-13-2009, 01:36 PM
And everyone likes comebacks and 2nd chances it's all part of society.

There are some things the public gets over easier than others. Most Americans love dogs. This will stick to his ass like glue forever.

He also hasn't played in a couple of years, and frankly he wasn't that great a QB to begin with.

If he ever starts another NFL game I'll be shocked.

LaChapelle
06-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Dogs are not people. They're coyotes with flea collars. Coyotes are nuisance. Vick could be the new Vanover, in more ways than one.