PDA

View Full Version : Elections Republicans: Who Would You Nominate for Prez in 2012

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Poll Forthcoming

blaise
06-12-2009, 02:26 PM
I'll say it's somebody that's not even on the radar yet. At least I hope so. Palin would be a disaster.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 02:29 PM
I'll say it's somebody that's not even on the radar yet. At least I hope so. Palin would be a disaster.

It would be an entertaining election however. She is gearing up for a run supposedly.

wild1
06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I'd like to be able to vote for Pawlenty for President.

blaise
06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
It would be an entertaining election however. She is gearing up for a run supposedly.

Entertaining for Conan O'Brien, Dave Letterman, and Democrats.

Not so much for Republicans. Now Palin vs. Biden four years later could be a real laugher.

oldandslow
06-12-2009, 02:39 PM
If the economy stays in the crapper the repubs will run Romney - and rightfully so.

If the economy straightens itself out, it won't matter who they run.

Calcountry
06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Do you think He or she, will be able to run on "change"?

Pitt Gorilla
06-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Rush Limbaugh. I think a large group of folks will push him to run. I doubt he does it, though.

wild1
06-12-2009, 02:49 PM

She has all the charisma, all the right values, and energizes the base like nobody else.

She wasn't credible in the debates and such, though. Next to Biden of course, a rat terrier looks like a credible VP, but she was overcoached I think. She would make a good president, but she didn't make a good candidate.

They could have her ready given 4 years though.

Calcountry
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Rush Limbaugh. I think a large group of folks will push him to run. I doubt he does it, though.Perhaps they will run on "hope"and give vapid speeches read from telepromptors.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I notice Calcountry is big talkin but hasn't voiced who he'd vote for.

wild1
Rush Limbaugh. I think a large group of folks will push him to run. I doubt he does it, though.

he's said a million times he doesn't want to run for office.

wild1
I notice Calcountry is big talkin but hasn't voiced who he'd vote for.

ooooh... replying to a thread but not voting in the poll... that's some seriously scandalous stuff.... :rolleyes:

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 02:58 PM
I'd like to see him put his money where his mouth is.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 02:59 PM
She would make a good president

What on earth makes you think that?

wild1
06-12-2009, 03:00 PM

"money"?

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
"money"?

We know he hates Obama, so lets hear who he supports. Or is he just a complainer like most Republicans.

wild1
06-12-2009, 03:05 PM
We know he hates Obama, so lets hear who he supports. Or is he just a complainer like most Republicans.

Why is it necessary to endorse a candidate in order to criticize the current Prez?

So that deflections from the criticism being mentioned can be more convenient? "Yeah, well, your guy..."

blaise
06-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Limbaugh? That's just it. He can have all the money now and none of the stress. I wouldn't do it if I were him. I doubt most Republicans would want him anyway. I wouldn't. I want somebody that wants the job, not somebody that needs to be cajoled because no one else is stepping forward.

blaise
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Oh, I thought you meant Rush.

blaise
06-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Come on. We're all complainers on both sides. Let's be real here.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Why is it necessary to endorse a candidate in order to criticize the current Prez?

So that deflections from the criticism being mentioned can be more convenient? "Yeah, well, your guy..."

From what I've seen the republican candidates eat ass for the most part so I guess it doesn't matter much. But it is easy to criticize when you haven't said who you would be in support of.

SNR
06-12-2009, 03:09 PM
The Republican Party is going to have to change before I vote for any of those losers. I preferrably want a smart candidate who's articulate, principled, and won't stand for war-mongering or social issue nanny stateing like Huckabee or Brownback would do.

So it looks like someone totally new needs to come foward if I vote Republican at all (I doubt this will happen). I'll suggest a guy like Paul Ryan from Wisconsin. Who knows if he's any good at all, or if the only reason he's appealing is because he's not from the same stench that made the 2008 candidates. But regardless, I'd like to see how someone like him would do.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Come on. We're all complainers on both sides. Let's be real here.

You have a point.

But if you ever listen to right wing radio, they have nothing positive to say about anything. It's constant complaining and hating. It is what gives them such huge ratings, so the listeners must enjoy that sort of thing.

blaise
06-12-2009, 03:13 PM
From what I've seen the republican candidates eat ass for the most part so I guess it doesn't matter much. But it is easy to criticize when you haven't said who you would be in support of.

Yeah, but 4 years ago if you had asked who would be the Democrat running I doubt very many, if any at all, would have said Obama. It probably would have been Kerry or Gore again or Hillary. Even Bill Clinton wasn't on the radar 4 years out. So asking people to name their candidate now is a bit premature.

blaise
06-12-2009, 03:14 PM
You have a point.

But if you ever listen to right wing radio, they have nothing positive to say about anything. It's constant complaining and hating. It is what gives them such huge ratings, so the listeners must enjoy that sort of thing.

Yes, it's very much like a spoken version of the Huffington Post during Bush's presidency.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, but 4 years ago if you had asked who would be the Democrat running I doubt very many, if any at all, would have said Obama. It probably would have been Kerry or Gore again or Hillary. Even Bill Clinton wasn't on the radar 4 years out. So asking people to name their candidate now is a bit premature.

True. I am just saying of the current crop. If someone doesn't want any those I listed, they could state as much like you and SNR did.

wild1
06-12-2009, 03:17 PM

It's just as easy to criticize either way. Criticism of Obama should be evaluated on its own merits. The person they support has nothing to do with how compelling a specific criticism of our current policies is.

max sleeper
06-12-2009, 03:18 PM
She has all the charisma, all the right values, and energizes the base like nobody else.

She wasn't credible in the debates and such, though. Next to Biden of course, a rat terrier looks like a credible VP, but she was overcoached I think. She would make a good president, but she didn't make a good candidate.

They could have her ready given 4 years though.

All the right values!!! ROFL She is a poor parent and really just an idiot! Go ahead and put her up that would be just fine. Go Chiefs!

SBK
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I like Palin without deadweight McCain tied around her neck.
Posted via Mobile Device

FishingRod
06-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I would love a candidate that was not a Democrat or Republican have the ability to make a serious run. It would be interesting to see congress flailing around trying to judge a course of action proposed by a candidate on its merit or lack there of, instead of being with or against the executive because of party affiliation. Probably giving them to much credit, I imagine both parties would just appose everything out of habit. Sadly a 3rd party candidate would need to be a billionaire to even get noticed.

MichaelH
06-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Ted Nugent. No, really.

SNR
06-12-2009, 03:21 PM

They could have her ready given 4 years though.Perhaps you don't remember HOW inept she was when she accepted the VP nomination.

And this wasn't just stuff that resulted from inexperience. It's simply a matter of not having the best education. Her rhetoric doesn't convince ANYONE... not even half the members of her own party. She constantly gaffed... Africa is a country? This isn't stuff that more political experience is going to solve. This is basic stuff that she needed to have down pat before she even considered accepting something as large as the VP nomination.

So no. She WON'T be ready in 4 years. She won't be ready in 8 years, either. She'll NEVER be a good pick for president. Ever.

Taco John
06-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Sarah Palin would sink the Republican party for good. Might as well nominate Carrot Top. At least the pain-inducing comedy will be intentional then.

Baby Lee
06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Perhaps the best bet is for Schwartzenegger to make the hard decisions to pull Cowleefownya out of it's nosedive, then get to work pimping the person he identifies in his cabinet most responsible for said success.

That or Guiliani gets to work reforming his image as fiscally prudent and socially open-minded.

Find someone who gives a fuck about how much $$ gets taxed spent and couldn't care less how people stimulate their 'scandal bundles.'

dirk digler
06-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Weird I was actually thinking about starting a poll like this today as well because I see Palin is back in the news front and center.

I honestly think she is going to be the nominee or Jindal. I think it all depends on how popular Obama is come primary time. If his popularity stays where it is now it won't matter who they put it up it will be a blow out.

Pitt Gorilla
06-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceYou'd want the Republicans to put up the white flag?

chiefforlife
06-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I cant believe no one has brought up Colin Powell. He is the only Republican left that deserves it. He is open minded enough and knows what the function of government should be. I respect him for the man he is and the soldier he was. I wish they had convinced him to run in 08.
Palin is a joke, she is everything that is wrong with politics. Only Pelosi is worse.

SBK
06-12-2009, 03:48 PM
You'd want the Republicans to put up the white flag?

I don't believe the image that the media has created of her is correct. I do believe there's a reason folks on the left have gone after her relentlessly, and why the media does everything it can to destroy her.

Make fun of me all you want to, I think she'd be a fine President. And unlike our current moron-in-chief she's actually run some things before, and she's run them well.

mlyonsd
06-12-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't believe the image that the media has created of her is correct. I do believe there's a reason folks on the left have gone after her relentlessly, and why the media does everything it can to destroy her.

Make fun of me all you want to, I think she'd be a fine President. And unlike our current moron-in-chief she's actually run some things before, and she's run them well.

Hard to get elected when late night comedians make jokes about your 14 year old daughter getting knocked up by a professional athlete.

SBK
06-12-2009, 03:50 PM
I cant believe no one has brought up Colin Powell. He is the only Republican left that deserves it. He is open minded enough and knows what the function of government should be. I respect him for the man he is and the soldier he was. I wish they had convinced him to run in 08.
Palin is a joke, she is everything that is wrong with politics. Only Pelosi is worse.

LMAO

Please enlighten us as to where he stands on ANY issue. (other than skin color, we know where he stands on that)

Garcia Bronco
06-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Colin Powell is smart. Being a smart man, he won't want the job.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Colin Powell couldn't even get a sniff of a vote in a primary. Rush Limbaugh would crush any chances he would have. Plus the republicans, for the most part, don't want moderates in their party. That's why the party is shrinking exponentially.

Pitt Gorilla
06-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Make fun of me all you want to, I think she'd be a fine President. And unlike our current moron-in-chief she's actually run some things before, and she's run them well.I think you represent her potential voting block well: Palin would be a fine President, the bad old media is solely responsible for making her look uneducated, and Obama is a "moron-in-chief." She had you folks at "All of 'em, any of 'em."

chiefforlife
06-12-2009, 03:59 PM
LMAO

Please enlighten us as to where he stands on ANY issue. (other than skin color, we know where he stands on that)

He knew enough to choose Obama over McCain. That is a person not afraid to cross party lines. Surely you arent dumb enough to think that was because of skin color?

SBK
06-12-2009, 04:06 PM
He knew enough to choose Obama over McCain. That is a person not afraid to cross party lines. Surely you arent dumb enough to think that was because of skin color?

Show me all the inexperienced liberals that Powell endorsed before.

If you want to say he's a moderate, that's EXACTLY what McCain is and he chose not to endorse him.

Why did he endorse Obama if it wasn't his skin color? Show me the history of his words, or actions with candidates similar to Obama and McCain...

SBK
06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I think you represent her potential voting block well: Palin would be a fine President, the bad old media is solely responsible for making her look uneducated, and Obama is a "moron-in-chief." She had you folks at "All of 'em, any of 'em."

So it would be safe to say that Obama's voting block is made entirely of people who want money out of other people's pockets? That they want to the government to control every aspect of their lives?

LMAO

SBK
06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
"you had me at hope"

Pitt Gorilla
06-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Show me all the inexperienced liberals that Powell endorsed before.

If you want to say he's a moderate, that's EXACTLY what McCain is and he chose not to endorse him.

Why did he endorse Obama if it wasn't his skin color? Show me the history of his words, or actions with candidates similar to Obama and McCain...It seems to me that it might not be Powell that feels a need to base decisions/perceive outcomes through a racial lens.

SBK
06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
It seems to me that it might not be Powell that feels a need to base decisions/perceive outcomes through a racial lens.

Then I'll let you do it. Show me Powell's history with candidates similar to Obama.

patteeu
06-12-2009, 04:12 PM

I think that's a pretty dark blemish on his record, not a badge of honor. I'm surprised you're still on the I-hope-Obama-somehow-redeems-my-vote-for-him bandwagon.

SNR
06-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Wow, look at that poll.

Do we need any other piece of information to tell us how Republican voters feel these days?

patteeu
06-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I hope the candidate is "other", but from the list you provided I'd choose Romney. Powell wouldn't make my top 20 if he can even still be considered a Republican. I wouldn't have voted for him even if he hadn't supported Obama on the basis of his failure as SecState, but his race-based (IMO) support for Obama makes him dead to me.

dirk digler
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM

You think Palin is running things well in Alaska? Her own party up there is about to turn on her. She can't even get the pipeline project started which she touted as some kind of success.

Palin Finalized 20-Year Quest for Pipeline Deal in First 20 Months

In her first 20 months as governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin completed a deal for a natural gas pipeline that had been a top economic goal for the state for nearly two decades….
“When that deal was struck, we began a nearly $40 billion natural gas pipeline to help lead America to energy independence,” said Palin during her speech. “That pipeline, when the last section is laid and its valves are opened, will lead America one step farther away from dependence on dangerous foreign powers that do not have our interests at heart.”…
A contract for the pipeline, which had been discussed for the last 20 years, was finally negotiated after Palin became Alaska’s governor in 2007.
In 2009, has it been built? No. Has building started on the pipeline? How about arrangements? Those were supposed to be finalized, right?
Um, no. Sarah Palin flew down to Texas this week, still working on possible potential, hypothetical arrangements (http://newsminer.com/news/2009/jun/11/sarah-palin-mum-possible-pipeline-partnership/) on that pipeline she said she got done but which does not, not in the smallest bolt, exist.

VAChief
06-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I respectfully disagree regarding McCain...there is no way she could have handled the debates as well as McCain...I know the story is that had he not put the clamps on her she would have been more comfortable, however I think it would have just sunk him sooner...So far she has shown me nothing but rhetoric that doesn't have a whole lot of substance behind it.

She does have charisma...I will give her that.

SBK
06-12-2009, 04:55 PM
You think Palin is running things well in Alaska? Her own party up there is about to turn on her. She can't even get the pipeline project started which she touted as some kind of success.

This is what you got? You did vote for Obama I guess.......his track record is off the charts full of awesome!!!!!!1!

dirk digler
06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
This is what you got? You did vote for Obama I guess.......his track record is off the charts full of awesome!!!!!!1!

They are about to over turn on stimulus money as well because she is thinking for herself not for the people of the state.

Add in the fact there has been at least a half a dozen scandals\investigations this year on her administration alone.

Pitt Gorilla
06-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I hope the candidate is "other", but from the list you provided I'd choose Romney. Powell wouldn't make my top 20 if he can even still be considered a Republican. I wouldn't have voted for him even if he hadn't supported Obama on the basis of his failure as SecState, but his race-based (IMO) support for Obama makes him dead to me.SHOCKING that you think in such terms.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 05:23 PM
If Powell ran against Obama, I'd be very tempted to vote for him and might very well do it. I would love to see those two debate. Although, I think Powell is too classy to sling the mud that would be required to knock Obama off.

Dallas Chief
06-12-2009, 05:31 PM
I said Pawlenty but their are several others I am interested in- Mark Sanford is one, possibly Crist...

BucEyedPea
06-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Nice list of NeoCons. ( for the most part)

Ron Paul or Marc Sanford but watch the GOP leadership marginalize them, especially Paul.

orange
06-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Nice list of NeoCons. ( for the most part)

Ron Paul or Marc Sanford but watch the GOP leadership marginalize them, especially Paul.

Marc Sanford earlier this week basically told the old bulls of the GOP to STFD and STFU.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/06/south-carolina-gov-sanford-probably-isnt-good-for-cheney-to-be-the-voice-of-the-gop.html

Asked if it’s a good thing for former Vice President Cheney to be seen as the voice of the Republican Party, as recent polling indicates, Sanford said it “probably isn’t.” He expressed a similar sentiment about conservative talk radio giant Rush Limbaugh.

“While somebody may have been at the top at one point, to really keep an invigorated political system you've got to have new voices stepping in and step in to the plate in giving their opinion and probably every time you have some of the senior leaders continue to lay out their case or belief it probably usurps the voice of new leaders who'd be coming in,” Sanford said. “I think it's very very important you allow new voices to be part of the equation enunciating some of the same principles he's laying out.”

BucEyedPea
06-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Marc Sanford earlier this week basically told the old bulls of the GOP to STFD and STFU.

I saw a brief clip of him but it was wanting to turn down fed money. I've been working a lot of hours.

orange
06-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I added a link and quote above.

SBK
06-12-2009, 07:10 PM
They are about to over turn on stimulus money as well because she is thinking for herself not for the people of the state.

Add in the fact there has been at least a half a dozen scandals\investigations this year on her administration alone.

If by scandals/investigations you mean junk lawsuits mean to bury her under a mountain of legal bills you're right.

She's THE person the left is going ape$hit over, trying everything they can to destroy her.

Hillary was that way from the right, they did everything they could to marginalize her, turns out they weren't as good as the folks in Florida, Michigan and the far left. LMAO

When one party is going hog wild trying to throw everything they can against the wall against someone you need to ask yourself why....typically it's fear.

orange
06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
When one party is going hog wild trying to throw everything they can against the wall against someone you need to ask yourself why....typically it's fear.

You mean like the half-dozen daily "Obama is da debil" posts here? LMAOLMAO

SBK
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM

No. And it's nothing like the Bush is da debbil we got 8 years of. LMAO

I'm referring to future candidates. Hillary took a lot of heat because Republicans saw how people followed her, and knew she'd be a tough battle. And for conservative thinking people she'd be viewed as a freaking disaster.

Pretty much the same for how liberal folks would view Palin.

This thing goes both ways, all you have to do is sit back and watch.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 08:22 PM
If by scandals/investigations you mean junk lawsuits mean to bury her under a mountain of legal bills you're right.

She's THE person the left is going ape$hit over, trying everything they can to destroy her.

Hillary was that way from the right, they did everything they could to marginalize her, turns out they weren't as good as the folks in Florida, Michigan and the far left. LMAO

Dude... if you're pinning your hopes on Palin, you are fucked.

stevieray
06-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Dude... if you're pinning your hopes on Palin, you are ****ed.

...is this why you started this thread? Something tells me she's gonna make you squirm till 2010.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 08:39 PM
...is this why you started this thread? Something tells me she's gonna make you squirm till 2010.

LMAO OK. Whomever wins will bring this thread back up when the time comes!

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 08:40 PM
SHITSWALLOWER wants Romney... that cracks me up.

Cannibal
06-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Be advised that Steviegay likes Palin everyone. (if you didn't know already.)

patteeu
06-12-2009, 09:32 PM

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/06/south-carolina-gov-sanford-probably-isnt-good-for-cheney-to-be-the-voice-of-the-gop.html

Asked if it’s a good thing for former Vice President Cheney to be seen as the voice of the Republican Party, as recent polling indicates, Sanford said it “probably isn’t.” He expressed a similar sentiment about conservative talk radio giant Rush Limbaugh.

“While somebody may have been at the top at one point, to really keep an invigorated political system you've got to have new voices stepping in and step in to the plate in giving their opinion and probably every time you have some of the senior leaders continue to lay out their case or belief it probably usurps the voice of new leaders who'd be coming in,” Sanford said. “I think it's very very important you allow new voices to be part of the equation enunciating some of the same principles he's laying out.”

Sanford should feel free to speak up then. Cheney has said the same thing about how it's time for some new blood to step up to the plate, but thankfully, until such time as someone actually gets around to defending the sensible foreign policy record of the Bush administration and challenging the democrats' revisionist history effectively, the former VP will continue to rise to the challenge.

Speaking of which, Liz Cheney would make a good "other", but she probably needs some elective office experience before she could be a realistic candidate.

patteeu
06-12-2009, 09:36 PM

Whether it was more about skin color or a feckless foreign policy, it reflects poorly on him.

wild1
06-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I hope the candidate is "other", but from the list you provided I'd choose Romney. Powell wouldn't make my top 20 if he can even still be considered a Republican. I wouldn't have voted for him even if he hadn't supported Obama on the basis of his failure as SecState, but his race-based (IMO) support for Obama makes him dead to me.

I think that you'd find, if you could conduct a poll to this effect, that most people who would vote for Powell don't know many or any of his positions.

Donger
06-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Thune, albeit with reservation.

patteeu
06-12-2009, 09:41 PM

I'm not ashamed to admit that I fear Obama and his filibuster-proof Congressional majority. Global islamist terrorism is in danger of losing it's starting job on my threat-to-America depth chart.

patteeu
06-12-2009, 09:43 PM
I think that you'd find, if you could conduct a poll to this effect, that most people who would vote for Powell don't know many or any of his positions.

The only things I really know about his positions are that he's in favor of affirmative action and he's from the stability-worshipping "realist" camp when it comes to foreign policy. Neither are very attractive to me.

patteeu
06-12-2009, 09:44 PM
SHITSWALLOWER wants Romney... that cracks me up.

What's wrong with Romney? It would certainly be a dramatic change from the current status quo to have someone who knows something about business and the economy in the White House.

stevieray
06-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Be advised that Steviegay likes Palin everyone. (if you didn't know already.)this is all so important to you...last time I checked, our vote was something done in private.

I think it's funny asking now, when we don't even know who will be running.

|Zach|
06-12-2009, 09:51 PM
There is no way the right is stupid enough to tap Palin for the next go around.

That would be shocking.

I like Palin.

She came in and energized a base that was already going to vote for McCain and brought a spotlight to some of the head shaking fringe elements of the party.

She also turned off independents big time.

I got a laugh when McCain had to go off message to answer a question skepticism with his VPs ability to be a potential VP.

mlyonsd
06-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Thune, albeit with reservation.

Not quite yet. Maybe 2016.

SBK
06-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Dude... if you're pinning your hopes on Palin, you are ****ed.

That's how everyone of us feels about Obama's disciples. Thanks!

SNR
06-13-2009, 12:09 AM
That's how everyone of us feels about Obama's disciples. Thanks!Can you really not see the CLEAR difference between Obama and Palin? Sarah Palin is COMPLETELY incompetant.

SBK
06-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Can you really not see the CLEAR difference between Obama and Palin? Sarah Palin is COMPLETELY incompetant.

Well, Palin has run something, and not run it into the ground. It appears that's a difference.

Obama's first shot at running anything is turning into a giant charlie foxtrot disaster.

But I do see your point.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2009, 06:10 AM
What's wrong with Romney? It would certainly be a dramatic change from the current status quo to have someone who knows something about business and the economy in the White House.

Like his universal healthcare he passed in Mass which is still leaving folks uninsured despite what it promised.
Combine that with the type of economics Mitt knows is mercantilism and crony capitalism. He's a thorough statist.
It's called Facialism.

Yeah, Mitt's a conservative all right.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Like his universal healthcare he passed in Mass which is still leaving folks uninsured despite what it promised.
Combine that with the type of economics Mitt knows is mercantilism and crony capitalism. He's a thorough statist.
It's called Facialism.

Yeah, Mitt's a conservative all right.

Well but..errr ummm. i mean... Oh i guess he isn't conservative.

ILChief
06-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm Democrat so i'm not going to vote. But I look at it two ways. I want Obama to win again, so one side of me hopes the GOP nominates a wingnut like Palin or Brownback. However, unlike alot of people, if Obama lost re-election I hope that the next President is a good President and helps the country. On that note, I'd say Cris or Pawlenty would be better candidates and not right wing nut jobs that want to bomb every country that makes us mad and allow convicted felons and mentally ill people to buy AK47s at Dollar General without ID.

Cannibal
06-13-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm Democrat so i'm not going to vote. But I look at it two ways. I want Obama to win again, so one side of me hopes the GOP nominates a wingnut like Palin or Brownback. However, unlike alot of people, if Obama lost re-election I hope that the next President is a good President and helps the country. On that note, I'd say Cris or Pawlenty would be better candidates and not right wing nut jobs that want to bomb every country that makes us mad and allow convicted felons and mentally ill people to buy AK47s at Dollar General without ID.

Good point.

Cannibal
06-13-2009, 11:30 AM

It just cracked me up that SHITSWALLOWER liked him is all.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2009, 11:32 AM

Crist is a NeoCon and a jerk. I'm from Florida.

SBK
06-13-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm not a big fan of Romney either.

Whoever takes over is going to have a horrendous economy to take over, and a lot of layers of gov't to dismantle. It'll be a very, very tough job.

***SPRAYER
06-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm not a big fan of Romney either.

Whoever takes over is going to have a horrendous economy to take over, and a lot of layers of gov't to dismantle. It'll be a very, very tough job.

When Zero and Blackie-O get done destroying and dismantling this country, it will require a dictatorship to fix it.

SNR
06-13-2009, 09:13 PM
When Zero and Blackie-O get done destroying and dismantling this country, it will require a dictatorship to fix it.:hmmm:

ILChief
06-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Crist is a NeoCon and a jerk. I'm from Florida.

I will defer to you on that. I don't know much about him other than he has a hideous looking fake tan. I just hadn't heard much about him being a RWNJ.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2009, 09:31 PM
I will defer to you on that. I don't know much about him other than he has a hideous looking fake tan. I just hadn't heard much about him being a RWNJ.

Well he's not a RWNJ depending on your definition. I don't like him because he's no conservative. But he supports the NC agenda on FP and that to me is a NJ.

kcfanXIII
06-13-2009, 09:52 PM
i will vote for the same person i voted for in '08. ron paul. he's pushing fiscal responsibility. smaller government and he's against the nanny state. if the corp. media would have given him any attention at all i believe he could have won, but that would have cut support for the mccain/palin neoconservative ticket.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-13-2009, 11:43 PM
i will vote for the same person i voted for in '08. ron paul. he's pushing fiscal responsibility. smaller government and he's against the nanny state. if the corp. media would have given him any attention at all i believe he could have won, but that would have cut support for the mccain/palin neoconservative ticket.

I probably will as well depending on who is running, I mean Ron Paul has no equal other than maybe Bill Brasky. ;)

kcfanXIII
06-13-2009, 11:50 PM
I probably will as well depending on who is running, I mean Ron Paul has no equal other than maybe Bill Brasky. ;)

if he throws his name in there's no one else i'll vote for.

patteeu
06-14-2009, 07:58 AM

You'd better find a younger horse. Ron Paul will be too old. He's older than John McCain.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-14-2009, 09:34 AM
You'd better find a younger horse. Ron Paul will be too old. He's older than John McCain.

Yes I know, maybe Rand Paul then. :)

NCarlsCorner2
06-14-2009, 09:41 AM
The Republicans will run on bringing capitalism back and uncapping peoples wages.

SNR
06-14-2009, 03:36 PM
The Republicans will run on bringing capitalism back and uncapping peoples wages.Maybe they should bring some of those issues up in debate. You know, instead of the hugely important topics they discuss now like abortion, homosexuals in the military, and how many illegal immigrants work for each other.

BucEyedPea
06-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes I know, maybe Rand Paul then. :)

Or Schiff for VP.

orange
06-14-2009, 03:43 PM
For Republicans, the Forces Aren't With Them

The challenges facing the Republican Party as it rebuilds include changing demographics, such as the shrinking proportion of whites in the electorate.

By Dan Balz
Sunday, June 14, 2009
There has been much chatter about who now speaks for the Republican Party, and whether the GOP has a message or an agenda to combat President Obama's popularity. Those questions are important to the party's future, but the most serious problem remains the deeper demographic and political forces at work in the country.

For the past few months, political analysts and demographers have been poring over the results of the 2008 election and comparing them with presidential results from the past two decades. From whatever angle of their approach -- age, race, economic status, geography -- they have come to a remarkably similar conclusion. Almost all indicators are pressing the Republicans into minority status.

Republicans are still capable of winning individual elections, but until they find a way to reverse, or at least minimize, these broader changes in the country, their chances of returning to majority status will be severely reduced.

The American Enterprise Institute and the Brookings Institution convened a stellar cast on Friday to review what has been learned since November. The panel included Robert Lang of Virginia Tech; Ruy Teixeira of the Center for American Progress; William Frey of the Brookings Institution; Bill Bishop, a Texas writer and author of "The Big Sort"; Scott Keeter of the Pew Research Center; and Ronald Brownstein of Atlantic Media. They presented a wealth of data about what happened in 2008 and offered conclusions that would alarm any Republican hopeful of a quick turnaround in the party's fortunes.

Democrats have won the popular vote in four of the past five elections, though in one case (2000) they did not end up in the White House. In years in which they have also won the electoral vote, Democrats have racked up sizable margins. Obama bested John McCain by 365 to 173, and Bill Clinton's two victories were in the same range. George W. Bush's two electoral-college victories were narrow; he won 271 votes in the disputed election of 2000 and 286 in his 2004 reelection.

What has brought this about? It's not just one thing -- it's everything. Start with the Democrats' success in the suburbs. Lang's formula is that demography and density have combined to help Democrats: They dominate not just the cities but also the urbanized suburbs that contain the largest share of the suburban population in America.

Democratic strength in the counties around Philadelphia, around Detroit and in Northern Virginia have squeezed Republicans dramatically. Increasingly, Republican strength outside the urban areas counts for less. "There's just not enough rural folks and small-city people left in America in the key states that determine the electoral college to offset that difference," Lang said. "You're out of people."

orange
06-14-2009, 03:44 PM
That's one geographical reality. The other, which became acute in 2008, is that outside the South, Republicans are in trouble. McCain won the South in November, but Obama swept the rest of the country by an even bigger margin. The same pattern holds now for House and Senate seats. Republicans may continue to win governorships in Democratic-leaning states, but in congressional and presidential elections the geographic divides are sizable.

Brownstein reeled off a list of statistics that all arrived at the same place: The South now accounts for a greater share of Republican strength than at virtually any time since the party's founding. That base is too narrow, as even Republicans know.

Demographically, the forces at work have chipped away at what was once a GOP-leaning majority in the country. The most important is minorities' rising share of the vote. Whites accounted for 76 percent of the overall electorate last November, down from 85 percent in 1988.

In the last election, there were more than 2 million additional African American voters, about 2 million more Hispanic voters and about a million more Asian American voters. All are groups in which Obama increased the Democratic share of the vote over 2004. Frey estimated that minority voters in nine states made the difference in Obama's victory margin.

Republicans can't reverse the demographic trends; their only solution is to increase their share of the minority vote. Opposing Judge Sonia Sotomayor, Obama's Supreme Court nominee, because of her pride in being a Latina won't help solve that problem.

orange
06-14-2009, 03:44 PM
There was much attention paid to Obama's trouble winning the votes of white working-class voters. The bad news for Republicans is that these voters represent a declining share of the electorate.

Since 1988, that group's proportion of the national electorate has dropped by 15 percentage points. In Pennsylvania, Teixeira reported, it has declined by 25 percentage points. Teixeira reported that Obama actually won the votes of working-class whites ages 25 to 29; at this point, they appear more culturally liberal than their elders.

As the working-class vote shrinks, the college-educated vote increases, and Democrats are gaining a greater share of these voters. Democrats lost white college graduates by 20 percentage points in 1988 but by four points last November. That is another big reason they have gained strength in the suburbs.

Obama's strength among young voters was a staple of coverage throughout his bid for the White House, although as Keeter pointed out, he could have won in November without the votes of anyone younger than 30. But his margin was the biggest in several decades and that alone should worry Republicans.

Obama may appeal to younger voters, but their shift toward the Democrats predates his candidacy. "This really is not Obama," Keeter said. "Young voters were John Kerry's best age group. They were the Democratic candidates' best age group in the 2006 elections, and they were the best age group for other Democratic candidates in 2008."

Younger voters are more diverse demographically than older voters. In 2008, 62 percent were white, compared with 74 percent eight years earlier. Projections show young voters will become increasingly diverse. They are also less religious and more culturally liberal, two indicators of Democratic support.

GOP strategist Mike Murphy described this in Time magazine as a coming Republican ice age. Republicans will need a major shift to begin to reverse these trends. That could start if there is a backlash against Obama's governance -- and the president's agenda certainly will test the country's tolerance for a big dose of government. But Republicans will need to retool in other ways to make themselves more appealing to a changing population. That debate has barely begun.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/13/AR2009061301209_2.html?hpid=topnews