PDA

View Full Version : Football Grossman to Texans

pr_capone
06-13-2009, 02:13 AM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20090612_NFL___Grossman_getting_a_chance_with_Texans.html

The Houston Texans have agreed to a contract with quarterback Rex Grossman, an unrestricted free agent who led the Chicago Bears to the NFC championship in 2006, according to a person familiar with the negotiations.

The 28-year-old will compete with Alex Brink to be Houston's third quarterback behind starter Matt Schaub and Dan Orlovsky, who spent last season in Detroit.

Grossman spent six seasons in Chicago, where he passed for 33 touchdowns and 35 interceptions.

Favre watch. The Minnesota Vikings conclude organized team activities today and will not report for training camp until July 29.

That means that speculation about Brett Favre's ending his retirement will not end anytime soon.

Asked if Favre can still be a great quarterback, Vikings coach Brad Childress said: "Don't know. Don't know. Stay tuned."

In an interview with KFAN Radio on Wednesday, Childress said he was "anxious to see just exactly what he's got left in that cannon."

Childress declined to speculate about when he might watch Favre throw in person.

Patriots. New England released running back Patrick Pass a week after signing him. Pass started at fullback for the Patriots in their 2005 Super Bowl win over the Eagles. He was one of only seven current Patriots who were on all three of New England's Super Bowl champions.

Bills. Linebacker Blake Costanzo was one of five players waived by Buffalo after the team concluded its final spring workout.

Also waived were defensive linemen John Faletoese and Gerald Washington, offensive lineman Joel Bell, and defensive back Kyle Ward.

Jaguars. Jacksonville released veteran cornerback William James and first-year tight end Charles Davis.

James, formerly known a Will Peterson, was a third-round draft pick of the New York Giants in 2001. He was signed by the Jaguars as a veteran free agent on Sept. 1 and played in eight games. He played for the Eagles in 2006 and 2007.

Cowboys. Dallas team officials knew when they hired a company to build their Irving practice facility that another tentlike structure erected by the same firm had recently collapsed, the Dallas Morning News reported.

Football operations manager Bruce Mays called the Philadelphia Regional Port Authority in early 2003 to discuss the collapse of a warehouse, authority official Greg Iannarelli said.

Iannarelli said he first spoke to Mays two to four weeks after the collapse and continued communicating with him until 2006. In a phone call that year, Iannarelli recalled, Mays said the Cowboys had concerns about the Irving facility's roof.

At the time of the first call, the port authority had come to no conclusions about why its warehouse's roof caved in after a snowstorm, Iannarelli said.

But a few weeks later, he said, port officials concluded that design and construction flaws were to blame.

The Cowboys' facility collapsed during a severe thunderstorm May 2, injuring 12 people and leaving one team employee paralyzed from the waist down.

Jurisprudence. Ryan Leaf's lawyer says the indicted former NFL quarterback would surrender on drug and burglary charges in Texas. Bill Kelly told the Associated Press that Leaf was "not a fugitive from justice" and would return next week. Miller said Leaf has been working in British Columbia.

Prosecutor Lacy Miller said a warrant was issued May 20 when Leaf was indicted in Canyon, Texas, where he was a coach at West Texas A&M.

Detoxing
06-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Must suck to go from superbowl qb to 3rd string qb for the texans.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCChiefsMan
06-13-2009, 02:31 AM
wow

BigMeatballDave
06-13-2009, 02:37 AM
As if the Texans didn't suck enough...

big nasty kcnut
06-13-2009, 03:12 AM
Yeah rex is teh suck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Consistent1
06-13-2009, 06:55 AM
With Boomer (my earlier pick for AFC Pro-Bowl special teamer 2009) already there and guys like Slaton, Schaub, A. Johnson, Super Mario, DeMeco being healthy and a couple nice rooks pencil these guys in for a big year. The schedule is not easy by any stretch, but they will be ready for battle come the playoffs after facing New England in the season's final week. Grossman is just an insurance policy. Grigsby-Coming to a town near you on 8/15/09.........

Consistent1
06-13-2009, 06:56 AM
As if the Texans didn't suck enough...

And even if I wasn't always serious (which I am in a dead-on way) about all the Boomer stuff, they Faaaaarrrrrr from suck in reality......

SNR
06-13-2009, 10:52 AM
With Boomer (my earlier pick for AFC Pro-Bowl special teamer 2009) already there and guys like Slaton, Schaub, A. Johnson, Super Mario, DeMeco being healthy and a couple nice rooks pencil these guys in for a big year. The schedule is not easy by any stretch, but they will be ready for battle come the playoffs after facing New England in the season's final week. Grossman is just an insurance policy. Grigsby-Coming to a town near you on 8/15/09.........This. I said about as much last year. Slaton finally gives them some consistent offensive firepower, and the defense will continue to play well. I expect great things for this team this season.

Hydrae
06-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Cowboys. Dallas team officials knew when they hired a company to build their Irving practice facility that another tentlike structure erected by the same firm had recently collapsed, the Dallas Morning News reported.

Football operations manager Bruce Mays called the Philadelphia Regional Port Authority in early 2003 to discuss the collapse of a warehouse, authority official Greg Iannarelli said.

Iannarelli said he first spoke to Mays two to four weeks after the collapse and continued communicating with him until 2006. In a phone call that year, Iannarelli recalled, Mays said the Cowboys had concerns about the Irving facility's roof.

At the time of the first call, the port authority had come to no conclusions about why its warehouse's roof caved in after a snowstorm, Iannarelli said.

But a few weeks later, he said, port officials concluded that design and construction flaws were to blame.

The Cowboys' facility collapsed during a severe thunderstorm May 2, injuring 12 people and leaving one team employee paralyzed from the waist down.

I think Jerry Jones will be giving a few of his dollars to the paralyzed employee. :hmmm:

Oh, and the Texans are certainly a team moving in the right direction. Their biggest problem right now is the other teams in that division make it tough to even get to the after-season dance.

Mr. Krab
06-13-2009, 11:02 AM
A mini Jeff George.

SBK
06-13-2009, 11:25 AM
I saw this and you have to wonder if Grossman would be a better QB in an actual NFL offense with actual NFL WR's?

Doubt he'd ever be a superstar, but I bet he's capable of more than he was in Chicago.

Miles
06-13-2009, 04:52 PM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/4/5/2/45297247fcc0585b5825fa62dabcf922.gif