PDA

View Full Version : Pictures Is this guy on steroids?

googlegoogle
06-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Only 160 pound guy and benches 400lbs!

Doesn't sound right. He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6_F9lnMyaA

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6_F9lnMyaA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6_F9lnMyaA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Douche Baggins
06-13-2009, 12:58 PM
5-8, 160 is basically like 6-0, 200, right? Or pretty close? I don't see an issue.

BWillie
06-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Probably, not necessarily though. Joe Mauer however, is on steroids.

Kyle DeLexus
Very well could be, but doesn't have to be. He's the only one of the 3 that has his elbows pointing forward instead of to the side and that helps you lift more once you get used to lifting like that.

CoMoChief
5-8, 160 is basically like 6-0, 200, right? Or pretty close? I don't see an issue.

Either way I dont know any 6-0 200lb people that can bench 400lbs, not even athletes.

stlchiefs
06-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Absolutely no way the guy is 5'8" 160, especially with his build. He may be 5'8", but with the muscle he has on him he's not 160.

stlchiefs
06-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Was Apollo expecting a phone call during his set?

BWillie
06-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Either way I dont know any 6-0 200lb people that can bench 400lbs, not even athletes.

Um...NFL, exhibit A. Most other athletes, well then, yes.

googlegoogle
06-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Absolutely no way the guy is 5'8" 160, especially with his build. He may be 5'8", but with the muscle he has on him he's not 160.

why would they lie about that? Let say he is 160. There are other 160lb guys who have done this and it confuses the hell out of me. They have zero meat on their frame. I am thinking steroids.

CoMoChief
06-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Um...NFL, exhibit A. Most other athletes, well then, yes.

With the body type I had mentioned (6-0, 200 lbs), this would put these NFL players in this category:

Some Qb's
RB's
WR's
CB's
some safetys
P/K

You really think any of them could bench 400lbs? Think you can name a player off hand that may be able to do that? I'm not talking about just 1 lift then calling it quits.

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 01:08 PM

I'm sure there would be plenty at the combine if they weren't going for reps. According to BB.com 225lbs 12x would be a 1rm of 324. There are plenty of 6' 200lb guys that get 17-27x

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 01:10 PM
With the body type I had mentioned (6-0, 200 lbs), this would put these NFL players in this category:

Some Qb's
RB's
WR's
CB's
some safetys
P/K

You really think any of them could bench 400lbs? Think you can name a player off hand that may be able to do that? I'm not talking about just 1 lift then calling it quits.

See my post above. Yes by combine #'s our very own Quinten Lawrence would have a 1rm close to 400. If they were training for 1rm's plenty of guys could put up those numbers but they are training for reps.

Silock
06-13-2009, 01:11 PM
why would they lie about that? Let say he is 160. There are other 160lb guys who have done this and it confuses the hell out of me. They have zero meat on their frame. I am thinking steroids.

There is no way that guy is 160.

Show me the other 160 lbs guys that have done this.

googlegoogle
06-13-2009, 01:11 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=1

Nfl player coye francais is only 188.

Still think that guy is using.

Pestilence
06-13-2009, 01:12 PM
People can train to max out that high. He's only doing one rep.

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 01:14 PM

FTR, I don't think he's 160 either. His frame makes me think he's more around 180-200

googlegoogle
06-13-2009, 01:15 PM

I think he's just a a small guy.

right side of youtube page. found this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqMMvUjtV7c&feature=related

Silock
06-13-2009, 01:16 PM
FTR, I don't think he's 160 either. His frame makes me think he's more around 180-200

I think so, too. And if his height is correct, that makes a huge difference.

Silock
06-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I think he's just a a small guy.

right side of youtube page. found this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqMMvUjtV7c&feature=related

Still not the same. That dude is 2 inches shorter (he says he's 5'6") and that was 50 lbs less.

BigVE
06-13-2009, 01:25 PM

I know several. None of them on steroids.

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Man I wish I had been eating right back when I played football. I've never ate enough even when I was huge, If I had been eating properly I would have liked to see what my lifting max's would have been.

googlegoogle
06-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Man I wish I had been eating right back when I played football. I've never ate enough even when I was huge, If I had been eating properly I would have liked to see what my lifting max's would have been.

You were probably eating right.

I am thinking these guys spend a lot of money on supplements - Whey,Creatine- monthly. Probably 4 or 5 drinks a day.

Also those strange pills prohormone and bibutyl(whatever). You just never know what people are taking. You can't even trust what they say. Most body builders just say they eat protein. LOL.

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I am thinking these guys spend a lot of money on supplements - Whey,Creatine- monthly. Probably 4 or 5 drinks a day.

Also those strange pills prohormone and bibutyl(whatever). You just never know what people are taking. You can't even trust what they say. Most body builders just say they eat protein. LOL.

And whey protein and creatine are not illegal. Most athletes use them. I'm just saying that since I have been in probably 6th grade I have under ate. I would eat 1 or 2 meals a day and over eat during that one or 2 meals. My body was in starvation mode and probably feeding itself off muscle while storing fat. If I had any knowledge about proper nutrition back then, I think I could have had huge gains on my max reps and would have been an even better player.

Silock
06-13-2009, 01:35 PM

Whey and Creatine aren't expensive, though. You just have to shop around.

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Whey and Creatine aren't expensive, though. You just have to shop around.

Whats the best deal on whey them? I use cheap stuff right now and am looking to change for something that might be more effective.

stlchiefs
06-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I can't bulk up worth a damn. I consistently see gains and can throw up decent weight for my size, but never really bulk or put on weight. I'm 5'8" and 150-155 (which is how I know that dude isn't 160), I never max, but can put up 95lb dumbbells my last 2 sets on bench 5-6 times. I take EAS whey protein, but am thinking about quitting because as I said I haven't seen weight gain in months. I'm in the same boat as Kyle, I need something new.

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I can't bulk up worth a damn. I consistently see gains and can throw up decent weight for my size, but never really bulk or put on weight. I'm 5'8" and 150-155 (which is how I know that dude isn't 160), I never max, but can put up 95lb dumbbells my last 2 sets on bench 5-6 times. I take EAS whey protein, but am thinking about quitting because as I said I haven't seen weight gain in months. I'm in the same boat as Kyle, I need something new.

How much do you eat? 90% of hard gainers just don't eat enough

Estimate of course.

stlchiefs
06-13-2009, 02:27 PM
How much do you eat? 90% of hard gainers just don't eat enough

Estimate of course.

Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal w/ dried fruit in it and a glass of milk (approx 2 cups)
Mid-morning: Protein shake (approx 40g of protein between milk, whey and peanut butter)
Lunch: Chicken sandwich, crackers and a banana
Afternoon: sometimes another protein shake if I get hungry
Dinner: Varies, but I always eat
Night: on nights I lift, about 4 times/week I have another protein shake but w/ 2 scoops of protein = approx 63g of protein)

That's my diet CP!

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal w/ dried fruit in it and a glass of milk (approx 2 cups)
Mid-morning: Protein shake (approx 40g of protein between milk, whey and peanut butter)
Lunch: Chicken sandwich, crackers and a banana
Afternoon: sometimes another protein shake if I get hungry
Dinner: Varies, but I always eat
Night: on nights I lift, about 4 times/week I have another protein shake but w/ 2 scoops of protein = approx 63g of protein)

That's my diet CP!

Whats your workout? If you do a lot the 4 times/week you might be overworked.

Again this is all just going off research I have done on the topic.

googlegoogle
06-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Try eating pizza and more carbs. seriously. I can get up 200lbs easy with great food. Eat some more calories from fruit and fast food.

ThaVirus
06-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Try eating pizza and more carbs. seriously. I can get up 200lbs easy with great food. Eat some more calories from fruit and fast food.

Yeah, no doubt. It seems you're (stlchiefs) on a great diet for someone trying to get cut up. If you're trying to gain mass, you should be looking for a lot of calories, carbs, fat, and protein.

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Yep, your eating just a little more than I am and I'm trying to lose weight. If you can't eat much more add some weight gaining powders to your shakes.

Fairplay
06-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Myself, i never believed in maxing out weight.

Maybe 4-5 reps of heavy weight. I just don't think it is good for your body to max out one rep. is all.

I like cardio workout between working out two muscle groups, going back and forth, maybe two minutes rest in between.

Buehler445
06-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I knew a guy in high school that was 5'9 about...160 or 170 that could throw up close to that. I only remember that because he dropped 385 on his chest because his spotter was an ass.

BigVE
06-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Myself, i never believed in maxing out weight.

Maybe 4-5 reps of heavy weight. I just don't think it is good for your body to max out one rep. is all.

I like cardio workout between working out two muscle groups, going back and forth, maybe two minutes rest in between.

Unless your competing in a powerlifting meet there is no reason to ever do a one rep max other than ego.

stlchiefs
06-13-2009, 04:16 PM

I'd rather stay cut than start to get a gut though and that's what happens anytime I stop doing cardio for a while. I put at least 1/2 if not a whole banana in every shake so I average about 2 bananas/day. I'll have to post my routine when I get a chance.

Kyle DeLexus
06-13-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd rather stay cut than start to get a gut though and that's what happens anytime I stop doing cardio for a while. I put at least 1/2 if not a whole banana in every shake so I average about 2 bananas/day. I'll have to post my routine when I get a chance.

Thats why you aren't making gains in weight. From everything I've seen you have to eat A LOT and you will gain some fat along with the muscle mass. But that is why there is a bulking phase and cutting phase. If your happy where you are though stick with it you are pretty much maintaining.

whoman69
06-13-2009, 09:47 PM

Why would they lie? To make their club look good.

Fruit Ninja
06-13-2009, 09:55 PM
eh, when i was 23, i am 5'9 and i benched 350 and that was with only about 6 months of training and i wasnt even a power lifter. Though i did weight 220. I worked out alot at least 5 times a week for at least an hour and a half at a time.

If i actually went into power lifting i could easily hit 400 back then. I could do it now if i actually put my mind to it, but its alot of work.

BWillie
06-13-2009, 10:09 PM
eh, when i was 23, i am 5'9 and i benched 350 and that was with only about 6 months of training and i wasnt even a power lifter. Though i did weight 220. I worked out alot at least 5 times a week for at least an hour and a half at a time.

If i actually went into power lifting i could easily hit 400 back then. I could do it now if i actually put my mind to it, but its alot of work.

Well that is atypical. You must have amazing genetics. 99% of the population can't bench 350 after only six months of lifting. Most people would never be able to bench 350 ever period, unless they allowed themselves to gain alot of fat with the muscle they get. That is the reality. Bodybuilding like athletics ultimately comes down to genetics. You train as hard as you want, know everything you can, but to get to a elite level you have to just be gifted, or with weight training, a mesomorph. As for me, I'm pretty strong for my weight, but I don't have big arms like some guys do. Then I see some guys with huge arms, but yet they aren't very strong. Then some guys have huge guns and are strong as shit. It's just how you are made sometimes.

Delano
06-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Probably, not necessarily though. Joe Mauer however, is on steroids.

WTF? Random.

BWillie
06-13-2009, 10:12 PM
WTF? Random.

Dude, 13 home runs in like 110 at bats and he already has obliterated his previous home run high for a SEASON. Come on....COME ON!

Delano
06-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Dude, 13 home runs in like 110 at bats and he already has obliterated his previous home run high for a SEASON. Come on....COME ON!

He's healthy and he's maturing as a hitter.

Hater.

BWillie
06-13-2009, 10:47 PM
He's healthy and he's maturing as a hitter.

Hater.

He knows Arods cousin.

TinyEvel
06-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Damn, just watching that makes my hernia incision hurt!

JohnnyV13
06-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I benched pressed 315 when I was in shape a few years ago and I weigh 162. I'm only 5 7. If I hadn't injured my shoulder, I might have gotten close. It can be done without roids.

MITCH
06-14-2009, 08:05 AM
It must must possible. I worked out with a few Marines for a few years in my mid 20's. I was 5'10 and 160 and benched 305. I was able to bench my weight 18 times. Was working out and found a guy about my weight that was short that benched his weight like 28 times. I have no clue if he was on roids but
he was short and lean. I am sure out of all the guys in guys some are doing it legit.

BigVE
06-14-2009, 09:31 AM
I benched pressed 315 when I was in shape a few years ago and I weigh 162. I'm only 5 7. If I hadn't injured my shoulder, I might have gotten close. It can be done without roids.

Don't underestimate how difficult this is and would be. VERY few people can bench their own body weight (average people) let alone DOUBLE their body weight. Your 315 bench is impressive but it's a LONG ways from 405. I know of guys who work and work and work to try to add 10-15lbs to their one rep max in a couple of months. If a guy is a noob and hasn't been training for long he will make great gains for a while but everyone tops out at a certain level. THAT is where the challenge lies and the temptation to speed things up with 'roids begins for some.

ThaVirus
06-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Don't underestimate how difficult this is and would be. VERY few people can bench their own body weight (average people) let alone DOUBLE their body weight. Your 315 bench is impressive but it's a LONG ways from 405. I know of guys who work and work and work to try to add 10-15lbs to their one rep max in a couple of months. If a guy is a noob and hasn't been training for long he will make great gains for a while but everyone tops out at a certain level. THAT is where the challenge lies and the temptation to speed things up with 'roids begins for some.

This is very true. Once you get up that high, it's soooo hard to make significant gains. Those first few months of lifting are heaven, you gain so much strength as your body learns to use your muscles. Too bad it doesn't stay like that forever

Kyle DeLexus
06-14-2009, 12:37 PM
This is very true. Once you get up that high, it's soooo hard to make significant gains. Those first few months of lifting are heaven, you gain so much strength as your body learns to use your muscles. Too bad it doesn't stay like that forever

So are you an Opie and Anthony fan or do you just have Aids?

Silock
06-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Whats the best deal on whey them? I use cheap stuff right now and am looking to change for something that might be more effective.

DPSNutrition.com

They have really good prices.

Silock
06-14-2009, 01:16 PM

You aren't eating enough.

Silock
06-14-2009, 01:20 PM

Exactly. 405 is serious, serious weight. Easily adding 90 lbs to a 315 bench isn't going to happen.

damaticous
06-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm 5'7" 180 and when I was lifting I could hit 250. Tried 275, but couldn't get it. no roids.

I have a friend that 5' 9" and he benched 300 no roids.

I think it can be done without roids.

googlegoogle
06-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm 5'7" 180 and when I was lifting I could hit 250. Tried 275, but couldn't get it. no roids.

I have a friend that 5' 9" and he benched 300 no roids.

I think it can be done without roids.

that guy is 160 and benches 400.

Rausch
06-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Yup.

My uncle (who lurks here) topped that. Easy. Guy looks like Danny Devito.

At the time I think he weighed about 210-220, but he's like 5' 5"...

BigVE
06-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Yup.

My uncle (who lurks here) topped that. Easy. Guy looks like Danny Devito.

At the time I think he weighed about 210-220, but he's like 5' 5"...

Actually the little short-armed guys have an advantage since they literally dont have to move the weight as far and if they are thick chested they don't have to bend their elbows at such a sharp angle like taller guys normally do. It's more likely that a 5'5" guy could do this instead of guy who is 6' or taller.

BWillie
06-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Actually the little short-armed guys have an advantage since they literally dont have to move the weight as far and if they are thick chested they don't have to bend their elbows at such a sharp angle like taller guys normally do. It's more likely that a 5'5" guy could do this instead of guy who is 6' or taller.

While there is some truth to that, that premise is vastly overrated IMO. There are tons of tall guys that can still bench press a shit ton who aren't even very big. You can also be tall and have short arms proportionately and short and long arms proportionately. The best way to judge overall core strength is just to add up the poundage from your 1 RM bench, squat, deadlift and rows.

BigVE
06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
While there is some truth to that, that premise is vastly overrated IMO. There are tons of tall guys that can still bench press a shit ton who aren't even very big. You can also be tall and have short arms proportionately and short and long arms proportionately. The best way to judge overall core strength is just to add up the poundage from your 1 RM bench, squat, deadlift and rows.

Hmmm...there is alot I can say about this statement. First off, the shorter arm things is about physics as much as anything. Most competitive powerlifters train with "boards"...they will stack sets of boards of different thicknesses on their chest to train the upper part of their bench press. Its a fact that when you have boards on your chest, effectively shortening the range of motion and decreasing the amount of bend in your elbows, that you will be able to benchpress heavier weights than if you had to bring the bar all the way down to your chest and back up. Even a 1.5" board makes a big difference. Guys with short arms and thick chests have the "boards" built in basically. Sure, there are taller guys who can still throw up big weights but when you watch real competive bench press competitions look at the guys technique: the top benchers arch their backs (yes it's legal) and stick their big 'ol guts out and lift more with an elbows inward style to SHORTEN the range of motion so they can lift heavier weights. There is a huge difference in the techniques of power-lifter style bench press vs. bodybuilder style benchpress.

Silock
06-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I think what BWillie was saying is that it's not a huge deal to the average lifter not doing it for competition. I agree with that. However, I also agree with YOU that when you're getting to the Min/Maxing, something like that can be the edge you need.

Far too often, though, you'll see a tall skinny guy bitching out about his bench because of his "disadvantage." Fuck that. Just put up some weight, dude, and stop being a bitch.

BigVE
06-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I think what BWillie was saying is that it's not a huge deal to the average lifter not doing it for competition. I agree with that. However, I also agree with YOU that when you're getting to the Min/Maxing, something like that can be the edge you need.

Far too often, though, you'll see a tall skinny guy bitching out about his bench because of his "disadvantage." **** that. Just put up some weight, dude, and stop being a bitch.

Too true.