PDA

View Full Version : Obama Morris / issue polling data

wild1
06-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Obama’s issues crumbling
By Dick Morris
Posted: 06/09/09 04:51 PM [ET]

At last, there is convincing evidence that Obama’s poll numbers may be descending to earth. While his approval remains high — and his personal favorability is even higher — the underlying numbers suggest that a decline may be in the offing. Even as he stands on his pedestal, the numbers under his feet are crumbling.

According to a Rasmussen poll, more voters now trust Republicans more than Democrats to handle the economy, by a margin of 45-39. Scott Rasmussen notes that “this is the first time in over two years of polling that the GOP has held the advantage on this issue.” Last month, he had the Democrats holding a one-point lead, but they lost it in June’s polling.

And the Democratic leads over Republicans on their core issues are also dropping. Particularly interesting is the Democratic decline over healthcare, from an 18-point lead in May to only 10 points now.

A Gallup poll also confirms that the president’s personal ratings are high, but the underlying data less so. While 67 percent of voters give Obama personal favorable ratings and 61 percent approve of his job performance (Rasmussen has his job approval lower, at 55 percent), they give him much lower ratings on specific issues.

Gallup shows Obama getting only 55 percent approval on his handling of the economy (down from 59 percent in February) and finds that only 45 percent approve of his handling of federal spending while 46 percent approve of his treatment of the budget deficit.

As it becomes clearer that the deficit caused by spending has landed us in a new economic crisis, entirely of Obama’s own making, his popularity and job performance are likely to drop as well.

The old recession — that the public says was caused by Bush — shows signs of winding down. But the new recession and/or inflation — triggered by Obama’s massive deficits — is just now coming upon us.

If Obama refuses to cut back on his spending/stimulus plans (despite convincing evidence that Americans are not spending the money), he has three options:

a) He can raise taxes, which will trigger a deeper recession;

b) He can print money, which will trigger huge inflation;

c) He can pay more interest to borrow money, which will send the economy diving down again.

The blame for these outcomes will fall squarely on Obama’s deficit and spending policies. The fact that Americans are aware of these issues, and already disapprove of Obama’s performance on them, indicates that they will be increasingly receptive to blaming him for the “new” recession.

Interestingly, Obama’s polling is now the exact opposite of President Clinton’s in the days after Monica Lewinsky. Back then, the president’s approval for handling specific issues was his forte, while his job approval remained high but his personal favorability lagged 20 points behind. Ultimately, it is a politician’s performance on specific issues that determines his electability. Personal favorability withers in the face of issue differences. Obama is about to find out that you cannot rely on image to bolster your presidency when the underlying issues are crumbling.

All this data suggests that Obama might run out of steam just as he gets to his healthcare agenda. As unemployment mounts, month after month, and Obama’s claims of job creation (or savings) ring hollow, it is possible that he will not have the heft to pass his radical restructuring of the healthcare system. The automaton Democratic majority may pass it anyway, but it will be a one-way ticket to oblivion if they do.

Morris, a former adviser to Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.) and President Bill Clinton, is the author of Outrage. To get all of Dick Morris’s and Eileen McGann’s columns for free by e-mail or to order a signed copy of their new best-selling book, Fleeced, go to dickmorris.com.

Baby Lee
06-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm starting to believe that the vast majority of the populace don't even have core beliefs, just a generalized sense of 'team.'

Case in point, last night Maher ended his show with a rebuke of Obama for not doing enough, fast enough, to push his agenda on climate change, ending military pursuits, stopping all 'torture,' and nationalizing healthcare, and wishing he had Bush's determination to push his agenda since the agenda is finally 'right.'

And over on Huffpo, they're bellyaching that he's a closet 'Rethug,' turned by his infatuation with Ann Coulter.

Never mind that his complaint is that a freaking LIBERAL PLATFORM isn't coming to fruition fast enough, he's a conservative because he found a sliver of Bush's persona he wishes Obama exhibited more of.

BigRedChief
06-13-2009, 03:24 PM
ROFL dick morrris?

BucEyedPea
06-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Case in point, last night Maher ended his show with a rebuke of Obama for not doing enough, fast enough, to push his agenda on climate change, ending military pursuits, stopping all 'torture,' and nationalizing healthcare, and wishing he had Bush's determination to push his agenda since the agenda is finally 'right.'

...and he claims to be a libertarian? That man cracks me up. Must be a left-libertarian aka communitarian.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2009, 03:28 PM
ROFL dick morrris?

That's it? Nuthin"?

BigRedChief
06-13-2009, 03:33 PM
That's it? Nuthin"?Dick Morris is more one sided in his views than Olbermann ever dreamed. Plus he's an idiot with some really asine views. No credibility with anyone outside of the hard core right.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Dick Morris is more one sided in his views than Olbermann ever dreamed. Plus he's an idiot with some really asine views. No credibility with anyone outside of the hard core right.

I don't think he's that bad. Afterall, he did work for Clinton. I also think the poll is on the money from what I see people saying...except the hard left. It's just like when the Rs were in. Just the hard core Busheviks were for what was being done. Obama went too far. That brought Rs back in when the Cinton's went to far. Not that I think it will change all that much with Rs in ( their budget was a joke too) but this is what happens when the Ds move too far left too fast.

Baby Lee
06-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Dick Morris is more one sided in his views than Olbermann ever dreamed. Plus he's an idiot with some really asine views. No credibility with anyone outside of the hard core right.

I have no idea what to do with this assessment.

But I have a sneaking suspicion, whatever its import, the upshot is a reinforcement of my own initial observation in this thread.

bango
06-13-2009, 04:00 PM
...and he claims to be a libertarian? That man cracks me up. Must be a left-libertarian aka communitarian.

He is all over the map with his political views. He is basically a wealthy guy that would like to be bale to do what he feels like because of all of the taxes that he pays in.

Baby Lee
06-13-2009, 04:06 PM
He is all over the map with his political views. He is basically a wealthy guy that would like to be bale to do what he feels like because of all of the taxes that he pays in.

Don't forget a guy who thinks he should be the voice of what people should be thinking, doing and believing, because he's THOUGHT ABOUT IT PEOPLE!!!

Basically, legalize drugs and outlaw meat and corn.

bango
06-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Don't forget a guy who thinks he should be the voice of what people should be thinking, doing and believing, because he's THOUGHT ABOUT IT PEOPLE!!!

Basically, legalize drugs and outlaw meat and corn.

Do not forget about corn syrup. That should not be legal either according to him. I think dairy products too. He makes some good points sometimes, but he is an elitist about it. He calls both parties out. It could be because he is so far to the left though. I have not watched him in a few years. I have some friends that watch him every week that he is on, and sometimes they share what he talked about.

Baby Lee
06-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Do not forget about corn syrup. That should not be legal either according to him. I think dairy products too. He makes some good points sometimes, but he is an elitist about it. He calls both parties out. It could be because he is so far to the left though. I have not watched him in a few years. I have some friends that watch him every week that he is on, and sometimes they share what he talked about.

I've probably watched every episode of every show he's hosted, clear back to when the folks he had on Politically Incorrect were mostly circuit comics.

I watch because even when I disagree, he's usually still funny. He burns me up sometimes, and other times I marvel at how succinctly and correctly he makes his point.

What dismayed me last night in particular is that . . . he got lazy. It was just one monologue joke, but it was appallingly lazy.

I can see his mechinations, he saw the photo of Obama with his feet on the desk, heard the bit about showing the soles of his feet while on the phone to an Islamic leader was offensive, and recalled that there was a similar photo of Bush with his feet up.

So, . . . why not tweak it a bit.

"So there's this photo of Obama with his feet up. . . Well the RIGHT WING was all up in arms about this . . . HHHRRRR, talk radio going crazy, . . it's disrespectful to the office!!!" . . [cut to photo of Bush, huge left coast guffaw]

I might have missed something, but did the 'right wing' say ANYTHING about this photo?

But he didn't have a photo of Achmanutstenseupwhenigetahandjob with his feet up, sooooo.

trndobrd
06-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Which invalidates the polling data? :spock:

wild1
06-13-2009, 10:58 PM
ROFL dick morrris?

The article is about the polling data. Not of interest?

KcFanInGA
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
These polls show that maybe some more folk are starting to wake up, hopefully it will be in time to prevent further damage to our image, at home and abroad.