PDA

View Full Version : Life Dear friends

Dunit35
06-13-2009, 09:23 PM
I am currently taking a child and adolescent psychology class and I am getting ready to start a research paper over the topic of depression. I was curious if anybody had any experience with this and the success they had in beating it.

I would greatly apprieciate(sp) it and you can pm me about it. I am trying to get a first hand type account of it.

Thanks,

Dunit35

FAX
06-13-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure I understand, Mr. Dunit35 ... are you seeking individuals who have suffered from depression, or those who have had experience with those who have suffered from depression?

FAX

Dunit35
06-13-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure I understand, Mr. Dunit35 ... are you seeking individuals who have suffered from depression, or those who have had experience with those who have suffered from depression?

FAX

Mainly individuals who have suffered from it but either or. I don't have a first hand account of it.

stevieray
06-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I have two teenage daughters. sometimes that's very depressing. then I just go shoot something, or run over a possum...and it's all better.

hope this helps.

bevischief
06-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Antifreeze does wonders.

Dunit35
06-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I have two teenage daughters. sometimes that's very depressing. then I just go shoot something, or run over a possum, and it's all better.

hope this helps.

That could help, if only this professor wasn't such a bitch.

stevieray
06-13-2009, 09:46 PM
That could help, if only this professor wasn't such a bitch.

how depressing....

Dunit35
06-13-2009, 09:47 PM
how depressing....

Listening to her puts me in a depressing mood...that should count.

Scorp
06-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I am currently taking a child and adolescent psychology class and I am getting ready to start a research paper over the topic of depression. I was curious if anybody had any experience with this and the success they had in beating it.

I would greatly apprieciate(sp) it and you can pm me about it. I am trying to get a first hand type account of it.

Thanks,

Dunit35

I thought i had beat my battle with depression until you started this thread. Now I feel that darkness filling my soul. Thanks.

keg in kc
06-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Not going to go into great detail, but there's a history of it in my family, including my maternal grandfather, who was involved with the Manhattan Project, a vice president for DuPont in the far east after the war, and later committed suicide (the two are said to be connected, he apparently visited the bomb sites...)

I have never been diagnosed or treated, but I think anybody who (including people here) who knew me from the late 90s until the time of my divorce in 2004 would likely support my own assumption that I suffered from it. I didn't work for years, had no social interaction of any kind, basically holed up in my house surfing the net and playing video games. I started to change in 2003, and it was something I did completely on my own and at my own behest. I decided I didn't want to be that way anymore.

It's been a long, often difficult process, one that I'm certain may have been eased with antidepressants and professional help, but that was never an option financially, and it's a process that continues to this day. I've discovered in time that the keys to my moods fall into three areas, those being sleep, diet and activity. Which is pretty common sensical once you think about it. Sleep well (hello serotonin), eat well and get off my ass (work, exercise, anything) and I'm fine. Don't sleep, don't eat, surf the net all day, and I become dark.

So I sleep, eat and get off my ass...

That's pretty much the whole sordid tale. I've never been particularly shy about discussing it openly.

Dunit35
I thought i had beat my battle with depression until you started this thread. Now I feel that darkness filling my soul. Thanks.

It only took a few posts before somebody said that.

Hog Farmer
We're all Chiefs fans here. We all suffer from depression !

Dunit35
06-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Not going to go into great detail, but there's a history of it in my family, including my maternal grandfather, who was involved with the Manhattan Project, a vice president for DuPont in the far east after the war, and later committed suicide (the two are said to be connected, he apparently visited the bomb sites...)

I have never been diagnosed or treated, but I think anybody who (including people here) who knew me from the late 90s until the time of my divorce in 2004 would likely support my own assumption that I suffered from it. I didn't work for years, had no social interaction of any kind, basically holed up in my house surfing the net and playing video games. I started to change in 2003, and it was something I did completely on my own and at my own behest. I decided I didn't want to be that way anymore.

It's been a long, often difficult process, one that I'm certain may have been eased with antidepressants and professional help, but that was never an option financially, and it's a process that continues to this day. I've discovered in time that the keys to my moods fall into three areas, those being sleep, diet and activity. Which is pretty common sensical once you think about it. Sleep well (hello serotonin), eat well and get off my ass (work, exercise, anything) and I'm fine. Don't sleep, don't eat, surf the net all day, and I become dark.

So I sleep, eat and get off my ass...

That's pretty much the whole sordid tale. I've never been particularly shy about discussing it openly.

That's the info I'm looking for. Thank you sir. I could write about that and write about someone going the alt route and doing therepy/antidepressants.

We've all been depressed at some point in our lives, I feel as though strength is a key factor in how you handle it.

Mr. Kotter
06-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Depression? Do we have experience?

Hell yeah, man; we are CHIEF'S fans, afterall. :(

I got over it when I decided that the experience tailgating, food, and fellowship surrounding the GAMES.....were more important than the game. Life since, has been....grand, win or lose.

:toast:

Psyko Tek
06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
been diagnosed took pills
didn't like them

went back to self medicating

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

me and the good doctor agree

keg in kc
06-13-2009, 10:49 PM
That's the info I'm looking for. Thank you sir. I could write about that and write about someone going the alt route and doing therepy/antidepressants.

We've all been depressed at some point in our lives, I feel as though strength is a key factor in how you handle it.It's no thing. I'm not proud of where I was, but I figure if there's a chance at helping anybody else get through something like that, I might as well share the tale. I wouldn't recommend people trying to get out of it the way I did, although I will say that I'm not a big fan of medicating, in general terms. I think a lot of ills can be fixed (or prevented) naturally, if you're patient and persistent. In fact, I don't even think of what I did as fighting depression, really, more like I made some changes, and took/am taking steps to avoid it every day. And I never for a second think I've beaten it in any way. Constant vigilance, as they say...

I don't disagree with when it comes to strength. I'm certainly a stronger person now than I've been at any point in my life. Although I'm still growing in many ways.

cdcox
06-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I have a very good friend who disappeared for a year due to depression. You could see it swallowing him for a month or two before. He just stayed at home all the time, mostly not getting out of bed. Not taking phone calls from friends, just completely isolating himself. One of his brothers had to quit work to take care of him and their mother (who also has a long history of depression). I wondered if I would ever see him again. Then one day, he was back like he never missed a beat. During his illness he had a lot of support from many people, but it made no difference. There wasn't anything anyone (including him) could do to get him better faster. He got better when the time was right.

I've known other people who have been diagnosed and received medicine. They're still battling it years later.

It's an extremely difficult disease to understand, to treat, and to see affect people you care about.

BWillie
06-13-2009, 11:15 PM
So the question, how do you cope with depression? Well, um. I drink.

KcFanInGA
06-14-2009, 12:23 AM
I have some experience, I am bi-polar with a big emphasis on depressive episodes, and sometimes strength is not enough. I have been off meds for 6 months, and recently made an appointment to get back to a psychologist. Self medication is effective temporarily, and causes huge anger issues with my family. My aunt has been suicidal with mutliple attempts, and I believe my mother struggled as well, but she was never diagnosed and died in 07 from cancer, which really didn't help matters. For me, sometimes I pull out of it, and sometimes I just have to outlast it. For me, it causes a great deal of social anxiety, I basically hermitize myself, because I feel like everyone is staring at me, judging me. A lot of people I know think that these types of illnesses signify weakness, but it takes a lot of strength just to hold on sometimes. And it makes me really appreciate the good times. I think sometimes that my emotions are so strong because I feel the extremes of them, always. I just keep praying, keep reminding myself that life is truly a gift, even on days when I just plain don't believe it. Thanks for starting this thread, I needed to vent that tonight. Hope you glean something usefull from it. My spirits will also be lifted if we win more than 2 games this year.

JuicesFlowing
06-14-2009, 12:33 AM
I had a serious bout of Depression in 1997. Since then I've had a few spells here and there, but nothing like that first one. I know this will sound weird, but going through it was a good thing for me. I believe I'm bi-polar, but haven't been diagnosed as such. I do get Seasonal Affective Disorder though. ANYWAY ...

KcFanInGA
06-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Juices, I would encourage you to research it a little. It really will help when you see a psych doc, the first time I went I didn't know much. Knowing more this go-round I think I will be able to be a little more proactive about treatment. If you are you need to know, I wonder how much less I would have put my familia through if I had gotten it checked out sooner. Just a thought for you, hope that doesn't come off as pushy or soap-box talk.

mikey23545
06-14-2009, 06:36 AM
I have been around a few people in my life who were (I believe) clinically depressed. They absolutely all had the same characteristics. Every one of them is, in the truest sense of the term, completely self-centered. Not one moment of the day goes by that they aren't completely obsessed with themselves and their problems. They think about themselves to the exclusion of anything or anyone else, and begin to revel in their "suffering".

Basically, if they quit studying themselves under a microscope, quit being so incredibly selfish and self-preoccupied, and start thinking about the world around themselves, they magically get better. Otherwise, nothing really helps them.

Just my two cents, and I'm sure the wailing about how "it's a disease, damn you!" is about to begin.

milkman
06-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Depression? Do we have experience?

Hell yeah, man; we are CHIEF'S fans, afterall. :(

I don't get depressed.

I get pissed.

milkman
06-14-2009, 08:06 AM
So the question, how do you cope with depression? Well, um. I drink.

Great way to deal with depression.

Alcohol is a depressant, so essentially you're pouring fuel onto the fire.

milkman
06-14-2009, 08:10 AM
I have been around a few people in my life who were (I believe) clinically depressed. They absolutely all had the same characteristics. Every one of them is, in the truest sense of the term, completely self-centered. Not one moment of the day goes by that they aren't completely obsessed with themselves and their problems. They think about themselves to the exclusion of anything or anyone else, and begin to revel in their "suffering".

Basically, if they quit studying themselves under a microscope, quit being so incredibly selfish and self-preoccupied, and start thinking about the world around themselves, they magically get better. Otherwise, nothing really helps them.

Just my two cents, and I'm sure the wailing about how "it's a disease, damn you!" is about to begin.

It's a disease, damn you!

Actually, I think there is some merit to your post, though I don't believe that it's true in every case.

keg in kc
06-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Actually, I think there is some merit to your post, though I don't believe that it's true in every case.I think there is, too, but he took it to a ridiculous extreme.

Some people are just...thinkers. Overthinkers. And I don't think people who aren't put together that way can ever really grasp what it's like. I've tried to explain social anxiety, for instance, to people, what it's like, and it's like trying to explain to a fish what it's like to breathe air.

And there's no magically getting better. There's no switch you can flip to completely change your personality, much less the chemical makeup of your mind and body.

But a disease? I don't even know where that came from. And his reaction makes me wonder if there's some kind of personal experience that's made him feel obligated to strike out like that. Seems awfully angry to not have some kind of personal stake, but maybe that's just how he is in general. :shrug:

JuicesFlowing
06-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Alcohol is a depressant, so essentially you're pouring fuel onto the fire.

True. But it's an easy trap to fall into. It will lift you up, then bring you down ...

Stewie
06-14-2009, 12:40 PM
My cousin suffered from depression until the day he took his life. He was a great guy and had been on meds but didn't like them. He thought he could self-medicate and got caught up in the world of meth. He said the first time he took meth it appeared to be the answer to all of his depression problems. He said he was never able to achieve that first high, ever again, no matter how much he tried.

My SIL's brother suffers from ongoing bouts with deep depression. At this point he has abandoned his family (wife, two sons) and is living in Houston. He quit taking his meds and was self medicating with alcohol. Who knows how this is going to turn out? He's refusing help of any sort at this point.