PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Most successful post-SNL career

DaFace
06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
As I was watching last night's rerun of SNL with Will Ferrell as host, I started thinking about the successful actors who have come out of SNL in the past few decades. At first, I wanted to say that Ferrell had to be one of the best, but then I got to thinking about the Mike Meyers and Chevy Chases.

So...who would you consider to be the most successful SNL member ever?

XXXshogunXXX
06-14-2009, 09:04 PM
eddie murphy, adam sandler

Thig Lyfe
Eddie Murphy. He was such a phenomenon. Unfortunately, like most SNL stars, he's ruined his legacy pretty irrevocably. Mike Meyers has The Love Guru. Chevy Chase has the last 20 years or so. Adam Sandler has been successful box-office-wise but is extremely hit-and-miss in terms of quality. Will Ferrell is risking his legacy if he keeps making crap like Land of the Lost.

Bill Murray probably has the best combination of success and respectability at this point. He's turned into a legitimate dramatic actor, too.

Norm MacDonald is far from the most successful, but I think he's the most consistently funny (even if his screentime seems to be limited to talk show guest spots and the like).

Deberg_1990
Eddie Murphy.

Unfortunately he has trashed his legacy with the sh*tty trifecta of Norbit/Meet Dave/Imagine That. WTF Eddie????

|Zach|
http://www.majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10a/bill_murray_original.jpg

SBK
06-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Just because he hasn't been mentioned I'll throw out Adam Sandler. He's made a freaking fortune...

cdcox
06-14-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm going with Bill Murray.

Eddie Murphy would get consideration.

|Zach|
Just because he hasn't been mentioned I'll throw out Adam Sandler. He's made a freaking fortune...

You really don't know how to read do you.

|Zach|
I'm going with Bill Murray.

Eddie Murphy would get consideration.

Yea, I don't know how there could be a debate.

SBK
06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
You really don't know how to read do you.

Sort of depends how to determine successful. The question wasn't who turned out to be the best actor.

Just Passin' By
Murphy's grossed over $6.2 billion
Myers' grossed over $3.3 billion
Murray's grossed over $2.6 billion
Sandler's grossed over $2.5 billion
Ferrell's grossed over $2.3 billion
Chase grossed over $1.1 billion

Financially, Murphy's still the runaway winner. Looking at movie quality, range, longevity, etc..., I'd personally go with Murray (Murphy second, because money does talk), although I can understand those who'd disagree.

Here's the site I got the data from:

http://www.the-numbers.com/

|Zach|
Sort of depends how to determine successful. The question wasn't who turned out to be the best actor.

Yes but then again Sandler was clearly mentioned right in the first post.

stlchiefs
06-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Personally I like Chevy and Sandler. Christmas Vacation and almost all the Happy Madison productions are tops for me.

DaFace
06-14-2009, 09:13 PM

Financially, I think Murphy's still the runaway winner. Looking at movie quality, range, longevity, etc..., I'd personally go with Murray (Murphy second, because money does talk), although I can understand those who'd disagree.

Interesting. It does definitely depend on how you define success. I guess in my mind, I'd think of it in terms of a "body of work" rather than financially, but they kind of go hand in hand.

unothadeal
06-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Robert Downey Jr.

dtrain
06-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Murphy hands down. Just because he made a couple of bad flicks dosen't make him not the top. No one has mention Mr. Deeds for Sandler. For the record Norbit did pretty good at the box office.

Just Passin' By
06-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Steve Martin should get a mention too. $2.2 billion, a career spanning the decades, and a man who's worked in some very underappreciated movies.

On the other hand, he's really not demonstrated any real range.

tk13
Gotta be Bill Murray for me. Eddie Murphy would be up there but his last 10 years or so has put a dent in that. I'm not sure I'd put him too far above Dan Aykroyd at this point.

SBK
Yes but then again Sandler was clearly mentioned right in the first post.

Missed that one uberdouche.

unothadeal
06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Steve Martin should get a mention too. $2.2 billion, a career spanning the decades, and a man who's worked in some very underappreciated movies.

He only hosted.

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2009, 09:17 PM

On the other other hand, he was never an SNL cast member.

tk13
06-14-2009, 09:18 PM

He was never an actual cast member, he just hosted from time to time.

Deberg_1990
06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure I'd put him too far above Dan Aykroyd at this point.

Murphy can still "open" a film in the right role. But man, hes made some sh*tty, sh*tty flicks. (Pluto Nash anyone?)

Hes really only in it for the $$$.

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Robert Downey Jr.

This is actually a pretty good answer. One of the few SNL alumni to get an Oscar nomination.

unothadeal
06-14-2009, 09:20 PM
This is actually a pretty good answer. One of the few SNL alumni to get an Oscar nomination.

Thank you.

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Murphy hands down. Just because he made a couple of bad flicks dosen't make him not the top. No one has mention Mr. Deeds for Sandler. For the record Norbit did pretty good at the box office.

You could mention Mr. Deeds and about ten other crappy Adam Sandler movies.

unothadeal
06-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Julia Louis Dreyfus was successful post-SNL

BigChiefFan
Dan Akroyd??

Steve Martin hosted a bunch and was practically a cast member, as well.

Just Passin' By
He only hosted.

Good point, although he was on a lot. Frankly, I'd misremembered that one, thinking he had a year.

In any case, though, another worthy of being on this list, with more than $2.1 billion, would be Billy Crystal.

cdcox
Interesting. It does definitely depend on how you define success. I guess in my mind, I'd think of it in terms of a "body of work" rather than financially, but they kind of go hand in hand.

I went with body of work because $ is going to be heavily weighted toward box office success in latter years.

Bill Murray:

Caddyshack
Stripes
Ghost Busters
Scrooged
Ground Hog Day
Lost in Translation

Haven't seen Life Aquatic.
Wasn't a big fan of the Royal Tennunbaums

I'd need to see someone put together six roles as decent as the ones I listed.

tk13
Murphy can still "open" a film in the right role. But man, hes made some sh*tty, sh*tty flicks. (Pluto Nash anyone?)

Hes really only in it for the $$$.
I don't know, when was the last time he was the lead man in a really good movie? He was in Dreamgirls I know... but his biggest role in the last 15 years was probably as the donkey in Shrek.

unothadeal
06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Billy Crystal
Chris Rock

BigChiefFan
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
I went with body of work because $ is going to be heavily weighted toward box office success in latter years.

Bill Murray:

Caddyshack
Stripes
Ghost Busters
Scrooged
Ground Hog Day
Lost in Translation

I'd need to see someone put together six roles as decent as the ones I listed.
Life aquatic was strange, but great.

Just Passin' By
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
When I look over the list of cast members, it really is pretty impressive to see how many of them went on to have solid careers (or better) after SNL.

Saulbadguy
06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Tina Fey might have a crack at it in the future.

Deberg_1990
06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't know, when was the last time he was the lead man in a really good movie? He was in Dreamgirls I know... but his biggest role in the last 15 years was probably as the donkey in Shrek.

Well, like someone said....Norbit sucked but it still made alot of money.

His last decent comedy role was probably 10 years ago in Bowfinger.

cdcox
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Unless I'm having a brain fart, here is a tough one: who among the female cast members had the best post-SNL career?

unothadeal
Tracy Morgan's new found success

Thig Lyfe
Julia Louis Dreyfus was successful post-SNL

Yep. Good strategy going with the little-known SNL cast members. Sandler and Meyers and Murphy are easy answers, but we forget that Chris Rock and Sarah Silverman were SNL cast members, even if only for a while.

At least Chris Rock was on there long enough to have a Best Of DVD.

unothadeal
Unless I'm having a brain fart, here is a tough one: who among the female cast members had the best post-SNL career?

Elaine Benes

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Tina Fey might have a crack at it in the future.

She's the answer to cdcox's question. Easily. And she's probably already in the top 10 overall.

Deberg_1990
06-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Gilda Radner?

unothadeal
06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Yep. Good strategy going with the little-known SNL cast members. Sandler and Meyers and Murphy are easy answers, but we forget that Chris Rock and Sarah Silverman were SNL cast members, even if only for a while.

At least Chris Rock was on there long enough to have a Best Of DVD.

They should make a "Best of" for those kind of cast members

tk13
06-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Everything from 1980-85ish is usually forgotten compared to the late 70's and late 80's groups. But they did have a handful of big names... Billy Crystal, Downey Jr... Randy Quaid was in there for a little while.

unothadeal
06-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Chris Kattan

cdcox
06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Elaine Benes

I don't remember her SNL years (many forgettable seasons). That's one role. A great role that spanned 9 years. I'd like to see some range, but obviously female comedians get fewer opportunities.

Deberg_1990
Everything from 1980-85ish is usually forgotten compared to the late 70's and late 80's groups. But they did have a handful of big names... Billy Crystal, Downey Jr... Randy Quaid was in there for a little while.

Dont forget Anthony Michael Hall! :)

Ultra Peanut
Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan, best show buds ff

Tracy Morgan's new found success
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_lBRf0UgjFc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_lBRf0UgjFc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2009, 09:31 PM
The answer would be indisputable had John Belushi lived.

Phil Hartman and Chris Farley would also be in the discussion if they hadn't gone early. Hartman in NewsRadio is one of the best sitcom performances ever.

Micjones
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Eddie Murphy without question.

Fairplay
I really liked Phil Hartmen's talent. It is unfortunate his death ended his career.

Ultra Peanut

Phil Hartman and Chris Farley would also be in the discussion if they hadn't gone early. Hartman in NewsRadio is one of the best sitcom performances ever.Great, take me from thinking about 30 Rock to thinking about Phil Hartman and Chris Farley. Jerk.

Thig Lyfe
I don't remember her SNL years (many forgettable seasons). That's one role. A great role that spanned 9 years. I'd like to see some range, but obviously female comedians get fewer opportunities.

She has another successful sitcom now. I think she won an Emmy for it. I don't watch it, but still, that's two roles.

unothadeal

Phil Hartman and Chris Farley would also be in the discussion if they hadn't gone early. Hartman in NewsRadio is one of the best sitcom performances ever.

Hartman in anything is the best anything ever. The Anal Retentive Chef is one of the best skits.

Just Passin' By
She's the answer to cdcox's question. Easily. And she's probably already in the top 10 overall.

Laurie Metcalf and JLD had great television success post SNL, as did Jane Curtin. Joan Cusack has had a solid career with various roles, and is still finding work, and would probably be my choice out of the women.

Also, I don't know if I missed his name being mentioned, but Ben Stiller would be another one of the men moving on to have a very good post SNL career. Financially, I believe he's #2 behind Murphy.

Deberg_1990
06-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Tim Meadows and Phil Hartman = most underrated SNL performers ever.

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Christopher Guest is extremely successful. Harry Shearer, too, primarily in Guest movies and The Simpsons.

unothadeal
06-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Tim Meadows and Phil Hartman = most underrated SNL performers ever.

I think Hartman is just forgotten when it comes to comedy these days. He's pretty well known as one of the best on SNL.

Fairplay
Heh, here is an old article i found on Jimmy Fallon.

No surprise here.

http://news.aol.com/the-cooler-blog/2007/09/17/snl-cast-didnt-like-jimmy-fallon-either/

dtrain
[QUOTE=cdcox;5839593]I went with body of work because $ is going to be heavily weighted toward box office success in latter years.

Bill Murray:

Caddyshack
Stripes
Ghost Busters
Scrooged
Ground Hog Day
Lost in Translation

Eddie Murphy
48 Hours
Another 48 Hours
Beverly Hills Cop 1, 2, and 3
Trading Places
Raw
Delirious
Coming to America
Daddy Daycare
Harlem Nights
Boomerang
Distinguished Gentleman
Nutty Professor 1 and 2
Dr. Doolittle 1 and 2
Life
I spy
Shrek 1, 2, and 3
Mulan
Dream Girls

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Laurie Metcalf and JLD had great television success post SNL, as did Jane Curtin. Joan Cusack has had a solid career with various roles, and is still finding work, and would probably be my choice out of the women.

Also, I don't know if I missed his name being mentioned, but Ben Stiller would be another one of the men moving on to have a very good post SNL career. Financially, I believe he's #2 behind Murphy.

I was going to mention Stiller but I couldn't remember if he ever actually was on the show. He quit real quick.

tk13
60 posts and no mention of Dennis Miller or Al Franken! :)

Deberg_1990
Im shocked Horatio Sanz hasnt gone on to bigger and better things.

unothadeal
Heh, here is an old article i found on Jimmy Fallon.

No surprise here.

http://news.aol.com/the-cooler-blog/2007/09/17/snl-cast-didnt-like-jimmy-fallon-either/

Those two "squashed the beef" on Fallon's show a while ago.

unothadeal
06-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Im shocked Horatio Sanz hasnt gone on to bigger and better things.

You haven't seen Boat Trip?!?!

tk13
06-14-2009, 09:38 PM
How about Steve Carell? He wasn't a cast member but he was a cartoon voice for Robert Smigel.

cdcox
06-14-2009, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=cdcox;5839593]I went with body of work because $ is going to be heavily weighted toward box office success in latter years.

Bill Murray:

Caddyshack
Stripes
Ghost Busters
Scrooged
Ground Hog Day
Lost in Translation

Eddie Murphy
48 Hours
Another 48 Hours
Beverly Hills Cop 1, 2, and 3
Trading Places
Raw
Delirious
Coming to America
Daddy Daycare
Harlem Nights
Boomerang
Distinguished Gentleman
Nutty Professor 1 and 2
Dr. Doolittle 1 and 2
Life
I spy
Shrek 1, 2, and 3
Mulan
Dream Girls

I went with roles (Ghostbusters counts as one role).

So for Murphy I'd count:

48 hours (franchise)
Beverly Hills Cop (franchise)
Trading Places
Shrek (franchise)

I've seen many (but not all) of the others; very few were memorable.

milkman
06-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Just gonna chime in with this,

Will Farrell sucks ass.

dtrain
06-14-2009, 09:49 PM
The only way to really judge this would be by box office dollars using that Eddie has them all beat. In the end it all boils down to personal likes and dislikes.

Just Passin' By
06-14-2009, 09:53 PM
The only way to really judge this would be by box office dollars using that Eddie has them all beat. In the end it all boils down to personal likes and dislikes.

Going just by box office dollars, Ben Stiller has been more successful than Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro.

cdcox
06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Going just by box office dollars, Ben Stiller has been more successful than Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro.

Which is just insane.

Ultra Peanut
06-14-2009, 10:03 PM
60 posts and no mention of Dennis Miller or Al Franken! :)That's Senator Franken* to you.

(Every time you say that, a tiny Norm Coleman explodes in rage and files another lawsuit.)

RJ
06-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Bill Murray was my favorite then and my favorite now. I won't try to define success.

His Nick Winters lounge singer routine was, for me. the best bit on early SNL. Today, he is far and away the best actor among the SNL alumni. And for sure the one I would most like to sit at a bar for a couple of beers with.

Rain Man
06-14-2009, 10:17 PM
I would define "success" as ...

- financial success
- being in demand
- having appeal beyond the traditional SNL gimmicky stuff
- being critically acclaimed, or at least not scowled at.

Under those criteria, one would have to pick Bill Murray. He does "real" stuff, whereas most of the rest of the SNL alums put out extended SNL skits to extend their 15 minutes. Will Ferrell may or may not have lasting power, but right now there's no evidence that he's not the next Dana Carvey, successful but with a slowly fading star.

Adam Sandler is working hard to get to the next level, and may someday eclipse Bill Murray. Eddie Murphy was almost at the top, but apparently he can't evaluate a script at all since he's produced garbage for the past 15 years. But Ferrell, Farley, Carvey, Meyers, et. al., are just gimmick stars with no long-term staying power.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Steve Martin was never a cast member, only a guest.

Psyko Tek
06-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I dI define sucess as is it funny

belushi
animal house and blues brothers

murrray and chase caddy shack

gohstbusters watch it now was it funn takeouytthe dick less comment adn do you laygh

eddie nurphy beverly hills cop 1 and trading plasces
bowfinger was good but other then tah he suckedcomedy wise
\akroid
he was with belushi

i didn't know robert downey jr was in snlk cast
he'smy vote for best actor

but belushi died before he could do pluto neash,dicky betts and suck

he wins for me

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
How about Steve Carell? He wasn't a cast member but he was a cartoon voice for Robert Smigel.

That's pretty backdoor, considering he and Colbert only did the voices for Ace and Gary on SNL because it was initially a recurring segment on the Dana Carvey Show (on which Carrell and Colbert were cast members).

Tribal Warfare
06-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Eddie Murphy,Sandler,and Bill Murray

XXXshogunXXX
06-15-2009, 01:29 AM
I would define "success" as ...

- financial success
- being in demand
- having appeal beyond the traditional SNL gimmicky stuff
- being critically acclaimed, or at least not scowled at.

Under those criteria, one would have to pick Bill Murray. He does "real" stuff, whereas most of the rest of the SNL alums put out extended SNL skits to extend their 15 minutes. Will Ferrell may or may not have lasting power, but right now there's no evidence that he's not the next Dana Carvey, successful but with a slowly fading star.

Adam Sandler is working hard to get to the next level, and may someday eclipse Bill Murray. Eddie Murphy was almost at the top, but apparently he can't evaluate a script at all since he's produced garbage for the past 15 years. But Ferrell, Farley, Carvey, Meyers, et. al., are just gimmick stars with no long-term staying power.

The first 2 Murphy clearly wins. He's admitted in the past that he did movies like pluto nash for the $$$, not the script. The list is till 2004, he still at least gets 20million per crap movie.

Maybe sandler might compare paychecks, along with his production company. But Eddie is still the bigger draw than all

"Every bad decision I've made has been based on money. I grew up in the projects and you don't turn down money there. You take it, because you never know when it's all going to end. I made Cop III because they offered me $15 million. That $15 million was worth having Roger Ebert's thumb up my ass"

Shrek 2 (2004) $10,000,000
The Adventures of Pluto Nash (2002) $20,000,000
Dr. Dolittle 2 (2001) $20,000,000
Shrek (2001) $3,000,000
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000) $20,000,000 (and 20% of the gross)
Doctor Dolittle (1998) $17,000,000
The Nutty Professor (1996) $12,000,000
Beverly Hills Cop III (1994) $15,000,000
Coming to America (1988) $8,000,000
Beverly Hills Cop II (1987) $8,000,000
Beverly Hills Cop (1984) $14,000,000

T-post Tom
06-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Tina Fey gets my "The former SNL star that I'd most like to bang like a dinner bell on the Ponderosa."

http://deadon.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/tinafey_21313.jpg

BigRock
06-15-2009, 07:06 AM
WINNER

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9476/cabinboy.jpg

JimNasium
06-15-2009, 07:15 AM
I really liked Phil Hartmen's talent. It is unfortunate his death ended his career.

Death has a funny way of doing that.

BigRedChief
06-15-2009, 07:22 AM
That celebrity jeporady was one of the funniest bits evah.

MikeMaslowski
06-15-2009, 07:28 AM
I dI define sucess as is it funny

belushi
animal house and blues brothers

murrray and chase caddy shack

gohstbusters watch it now was it funn takeouytthe dick less comment adn do you laygh

eddie nurphy beverly hills cop 1 and trading plasces
bowfinger was good but other then tah he suckedcomedy wise
\akroid
he was with belushi

i didn't know robert downey jr was in snlk cast
he'smy vote for best actor

but belushi died before he could do pluto neash,dicky betts and suck

he wins for me

Were you smashed when you wrote this?

LaChapelle
06-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Wasn't Al Franken a writer, who did a few skits here and there. That kinda opens the door the Conan O'Brien. He could rack up some wealth points in time.

rockymtnchief
06-15-2009, 07:56 AM
If not for a cocaine addiction and living deep in the woods of Montana in hiding, Mr. Bill would've been the best.

Kerberos
06-15-2009, 08:18 AM
David Spade would have to get at LEAST and honorable mention. Those movies with Chris Farley were pretty damn funny. Roles in "Just Shoot Me" and "Rules of Engagement" were/are pretty good as well.

EyePod
06-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Eddie Murphy. He was such a phenomenon. Unfortunately, like most SNL stars, he's ruined his legacy pretty irrevocably. Mike Meyers has The Love Guru. Chevy Chase has the last 20 years or so. Adam Sandler has been successful box-office-wise but is extremely hit-and-miss in terms of quality. Will Ferrell is risking his legacy if he keeps making crap like Land of the Lost.

Bill Murray probably has the best combination of success and respectability at this point. He's turned into a legitimate dramatic actor, too.

Norm MacDonald is far from the most successful, but I think he's the most consistently funny (even if his screentime seems to be limited to talk show guest spots and the like).

Dirty Work was enjoyable but I wouldn't say it was that good. Chris Farley was fucking sweet by the way.... I'll pour some liquor out on the ground for him tonight...

EyePod
06-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Wait, scratch that. I'll just drink it instead.

DenverChief
06-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Dan Akroyd?
Billy Crystal?
Randy Quaid?

DenverChief
06-15-2009, 09:17 AM
60 posts and no mention of Dennis Miller
:doh!:

beach tribe
06-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I'd say Eddie Murphy. Dude was HUGE.

MagicHef
06-15-2009, 09:36 AM
http://boxofficemojo.com/people/?view=Actor&sort=sumgross&p=.htm

Murphy was #1 until just recently, Hanks just passed him due to Angels and Demons.

Mile High Mania
06-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Bill Murray, Steve Martin... tough to top those two. Adam Sandler has done quite well also. There are many that qualify for the discussion. Guys like Chevy Chase (has had his share of hits and misses), but he's had a huge post SNL career, much like Farrell and Akroyd.

crazycoffey
06-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Murphy was #1 until just recently, Hanks just passed him due to Angels and Demons.

Is that list, total movie gross? without costs of the movie being taken out?

nevermind, I see it all....

MahiMike
06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
bill Murray, Dana Carvey, Rob Schneider...

Deberg_1990
06-15-2009, 10:06 AM

Hanks was never an SNL regular. Just a host.

MagicHef
06-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Hanks was never an SNL regular. Just a host.

I'm not saying Hanks should be in the discussion, just saying that Murphy is the #2 grossing actor of all time, and was #1 until very recently.

Deberg_1990
06-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm not saying Hanks should be in the discussion, just saying that Murphy is the #2 grossing actor of all time, and was #1 until very recently.

ah..ok...thats shocking. I figured it would be Tom Cruise?

Nzoner
06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Just gonna chime in with this,

Will Farrell sucks ass.

this

RippedmyFlesh
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
"Tina Fey gets my "The former SNL star that I'd most like to bang like a dinner bell on the Ponderosa."

Ana is #1 in my book

http://www.celebritywonder.com/picture/Ana_Gasteyer/AnaGasteyer_Granitz_4748867.jpg

CoMoChief
06-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Sandler's grossed over $2.5 billion

Financially, Murphy's still the runaway winner. Looking at movie quality, range, longevity, etc..., I'd personally go with Murray (Murphy second, because money does talk), although I can understand those who'd disagree.

I can't remember the last time Eddie Murphy made a movie I actually sat through more than 30min of it.

Mile High Mania
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Question about comparing the "billions" that each of their films have made collectively... and if this has been mentioned, sorry - I missed it.

Early on (80s), Murphy had some great hits, but in the last 15 years - not so much. The Shrek franchise likely accounts a great deal towards that $6B number right... and that really isn't 100% attributed to Murphy, as he wasn't the lead dog. You would have to tip the hat to another former SNL guy.

jjchieffan
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
I would have to include Dan Akroyd, Adam Sandler, and Eddie Murphy in my list. I dont find Will Ferrel or Mike Myers to be funny in the least. Sorry Daface

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I apologize for not reading the entire thread, but did anyone mention Conan? Hosting the Tonight Show is pretty big.

Murphy was great early on in Raw and Delirious, but his last 15 years or so have been brutal. Vampire in Brooklyn? Really?

Tina Fey will likely be in this conversation down the road due to her work writing, producing, etc.

CoMoChief
06-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Yahoo! has on the front page of their site a link to Hollywood's top 10 earning Actors. The list is actually from Forbes.com

Adam Sandler is listed as #2
Eddie Murphy is listed as #4
Jim Carrey is listed as #8 (not SNL but he was from "In Living Color" IIRC)
Will Ferrell is listed as #10

JuicesFlowing
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I would argue that Mike Myers has had the worse career, outside of ONE good Austin Powers movie. That dude makes some shitty movies. I'd say Adam Sandler has had a pretty good run of late ...

Valiant
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Eddie Murphy.

Unfortunately he has trashed his legacy with the sh*tty trifecta of Norbit/Meet Dave/Imagine That. WTF Eddie????

I thought Norbit was decent.. That women from Riddeck is smoking hot in Norbit..

Honestly I want him to make a sequel to Coming to America and have him as the King and comes back to America with his soon and new shenanigans.. Would be tough to pull off though, might need the writers from Supertroopers doing it..

MagicHef
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Yahoo! has on the front page of their site a link to Hollywood's top 10 earning Actors. The list is actually from Forbes.com

Adam Sandler is listed as #2
Eddie Murphy is listed as #4
Jim Carrey is listed as #8 (not SNL but he was from "In Living Color" IIRC)
Will Ferrell is listed as #10

As far as I can tell, the numbers that list is based on are for the past year.

FAX
06-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm going to say ...

1. Bill Murray (based on the scope of his work.)
2. Dan Ackroyd (same reason as above.)
3. Eddie Murphy (on sheer volume of work.)
4. Adam Sandler (before it's all said and done, he might become number 1. He actually has some dramatic chops.)
5. Gildna Radner (because she was an awesome comedian and would have been a great actress had she lived, I think.)

FAX

gcbroncos
06-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Eddie Murphy.

its easy to name bad movies people did (although Norbit was actually pretty decent), but the key is to point out all the good movies made...Eddie Murphy has made some pretty big time movies (Coming to America was brilliant)...

Coming to America
Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2
48 Hrs
Nutty Prof 1 & 2
Trading Places
Shrek 1 & 2 etc

CoMoChief
06-15-2009, 06:08 PM
I thought Norbit was decent.. That women from Riddeck is smoking hot in Norbit..

Honestly I want him to make a sequel to Coming to America and have him as the King and comes back to America with his soon and new shenanigans.. Would be tough to pull off though, might need the writers from Supertroopers doing it..

They need to bring back the Soul Glo commercial too.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
a sequel to Coming to America would rock. It would also give Arsenio Hall something to do and I'd love to see the dude from Good Times end up with an empire of "McDowell's" and then get mugged (again) by Samuel L. Jackson.

Eddie is the King

Let Usher play the Prince. He'd give it a youthful, cross over shot and the women would fall for him.

rockymtnchief
06-15-2009, 08:12 PM
a sequel to Coming to America would rock. It would also give Arsenio Hall something to do and I'd love to see the dude from Good Times end up with an empire of "McDowell's" and then get mugged (again) by Samuel L. Jackson.

Eddie is the King

Let Usher play the Prince. He'd give it a youthful, cross over shot and the women would fall for him.

Let 'Sexual Chocolate' do the soundtrack.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
06-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I suggest that we start a thread called "Coming to America Part 2" and let the fan board write the damn movie.

Psyko Tek
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
prob'ly do better than hollywood

KCChiefsMan
06-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Conan O'brien
Larry David

I'd say they have had pretty damn good post snl-success.

Dottefan
06-15-2009, 11:55 PM
EDDIE MURPHY..............AND I HATE DENVER

DaFace
06-15-2009, 11:58 PM
EDDIE MURPHY..............AND I HATE DENVER

This is a very strange schtick you've got goin here.