PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports FIFA 2009

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Baby Lee
06-28-2009, 04:27 PM
I guess it was just a terminology difference, because it appears that we feel the same way (though my tremendous experience with the aftertaste of 2nd place leads me to being more disappointed than you at the outcome of this one game, perhaps).

If I start to feel bad about today, I think for, like, a microsecond about the 2006 WC. That performance wasn't worth the air fare to get them there.

SPATCH
06-28-2009, 05:31 PM
--------Altitdore-----------------------Davies--------
Dempsey--------Bradley--------Jones--------Donovan
Bocanegra------Demerit-------Onyewu--------Spector
-----------------------Howard-----------------------

I like that lineup a lot. Bradley plays forward more, with Jones holding back.

The problem becomes depth, as we saw today.

I love the height in that line-up... 8 or 9 guys over 6 feet

ideally, we'll be able to bring feilhaber and adu off the bench as offensive super subs (provided adu does well in the gold cup and for whatever club he plays for next season)

a lot could change in the next year... for instance, bocanegra may not be able to stay as LB and i'm still not completely sold on davies

either way, though, that is an exciting line-up... legitimately one of the top 10 in the world IMO

WoodDraw
06-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I love the height in that line-up... 8 or 9 guys over 6 feet

ideally, we'll be able to bring feilhaber and adu off the bench as offensive super subs (provided adu does well in the gold cup and for whatever club he plays for next season)

a lot could change in the next year... for instance, bocanegra may not be able to stay as LB and i'm still not completely sold on davies

either way, though, that is an exciting line-up... legitimately one of the top 10 in the world IMO

Yeah, Feilhaber would be your go to late sub, but he proved today he can't play a full game. Yet another player who needs club playing time. I know I sound like a broken record, but that's so important for a lot of guys.

Adu wins the award for everyone's favorite player who never plays for anyone. Let him show me something with anyone, but until then he isn't even on my WC roster.

I'm not sold on Davies either. He blew a couple great chances against Brazil today. Minus the great one touch back to Donovan, an average day. His spot says more about my dislike for Ching as a starter and the lack of any other obvious alternative. Who else do you want there?

|Zach|
06-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't think they're content with losing. Of course we're not happy about it. That doesn't mean that it's not something to build on, though.

Yes.

SPATCH
06-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah, Feilhaber would be your go to late sub, but he proved today he can't play a full game. Yet another player who needs club playing time. I know I sound like a broken record, but that's so important for a lot of guys.

Adu wins the award for everyone's favorite player who never plays for anyone. Let him show me something with anyone, but until then he isn't even on my WC roster.

I'm not sold on Davies either. He blew a couple great chances against Brazil today. Minus the great one touch back to Donovan, an average day. His spot says more about my dislike for Ching as a starter and the lack of any other obvious alternative. Who else do you want there?

i hate ching... i'd rather see a guy like kenny cooper get a run out there. there is definitely value in davies' speed, though.

the midfield of dempsey, bradley, jones, and donovan will be the optimum one for 2010.... as far as reserves go... one guy that will be there that wasn't there because of injury is maurice edu

i'd like to see more of torres as well

Spicy McHaggis
06-28-2009, 08:33 PM
i hate ching... i'd rather see a guy like kenny cooper get a run out there. there is definitely value in davies' speed, though.

Although playing him up top along Altidore makes absolutely no sense to me, my hatred for Ching has diminished after watching Connor Casey. How the hell did that guy keep getting on the field?

Here's to someone in the Gold Cup showing enough to make sure that slow, fat fuck never gets a call up again.

Silock
06-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Davies is better than Ching with Altidore. His speed was key in opening up play. He didn't have the best day today, but he was nails against Spain.

WoodDraw
06-28-2009, 09:55 PM
I'll take Ching over Casey if all we want is a big body to come in late for free kicks or whatever. He's not a bad guy to have off the bench. I just despised that starting lineup we used to have with him in there.

I don't think Altidore and Davies are ever going to connect really well, but at least we have two legitimate strikers in there. Davies has his speed, even if sometimes he doesn't have that last touch to make something out of it. And with Jozy, you have that strength and great potential. Kenny Cooper will be one to watch in the Gold Cup.

I need to rewatch the game, if I can bring myself to, but everything seemed to break down in the MF. Everyone knows that Dempsey is at his best playing forward, and he seemed gassed at the end anyway. Feilhaber was dead too, but that's to be expected from a center mid playing against Brazil, especially one not in match shape. Fuck that red card Bradley got. He's quickly becoming a key part of this team.

Anyway, Kljestan was questionable, given he hasn't been in good form for quite awhile. But what we needed was a shut down, holding MFer. And we just didn't have one. Depth.

I hope this team comes out against Mexico believing they're now in a different class. Oh god how I'd love to win in Azteca.

I keep thinking of more to say, so I'm sure I'll be back here soon.

Silock
06-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Dempsey plays best at forward for the nats, but plays midfield for Fulham. He plays better at forward for us because he's just so tired. He needs some time off.

I'd like to see a striker rotation of Cooper, Altidore and Davies. Ching is the old guard; just not good enough. Cooper is.

Kljestan sucks right now. After the Olympics, I really thought he'd be doing better, but he isn't. He needs some seat time, maybe even some Gold Cup action. Adu needs more time, too.

WoodDraw
06-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Just to be clear, I meant Dempsey playing forward from his MF wing position, and not as a true striker.

I don't know enough about Cooper. Looking forward to seeing him and Adu play in the GC.

Silock
06-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, his true position is on the wing, but he did much better at forward simply because 1) he's the most technically skilled player the US has, and 2) he was too tired to defend.

Spicy McHaggis
06-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Dempsey plays best at forward for the nats, but plays midfield for Fulham. He plays better at forward for us because he's just so tired. He needs some time off.

I'd like to see a striker rotation of Cooper, Altidore and Davies. Ching is the old guard; just not good enough. Cooper is.

Without a doubt, Dempsey was gassed this tournament. He needs some time to get his legs back under him.

I'm with you on Kenny Cooper. We know what Ching is, a mediocre, target striker who is on the downside of his career. Let the young guy have a go. It is nice to see that Adu is listed at the forward position on the Gold Cup roster so it looks like he might get a start up top.

Also, what's with Guzan being left off that roster? Why not get him some more time between the posts seeing as his performance against Spain probably cemented himself as the #2 keep?

Silock
06-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Guzan's been cemented as the #2 for a while now. I'm still wondering why Friedel isn't our #2. He's clearly better than Guzan at the moment. Guzan will be Howard-esque in the future, though. He's THAT good.

Spicy McHaggis
06-28-2009, 11:59 PM
IIRC, Friedel wanted to retire from national team play a few years back. I guess age might be a consideration even if this isn't the case, Guzan is definitely the future.

cj2wr
06-29-2009, 12:03 AM
any video of our goals from the different countries? I like to hear the surprise in the voices of the bbc announcers when we go up.

Ultra Peanut
06-29-2009, 02:13 AM
Yeah, Big Bad Brad retired from national team duties before 06.

Speaking of, he was actually chilling out in Columbus watching the Crew game Saturday night.

SPATCH
06-29-2009, 04:46 PM
players i'm going to be keeping an eye during the gold cup:

heath pearce: the LB position still isn't settled. pearce was the guy for a while and it seemed he was a pretty safe bet for the WC. inexplicably, though, he's recently fallen out of favor with bob bradley.

jimmy conrad: very steady CB for USMNT in the past... plays for our kansas city wizards lol.. could add to depth at CB, but he's a long shot to make it onto the WC roster again

stuart holden: young midfielder... solid player for the dynamo in MLS

kenny cooper: a physical specimen at forward and schooled in the youth academies of manchester united. if ching starts over this guy i'm going to pull my hair out... he's got too much up-side to ride the pine. i sorely want to see what this guy can do for the nats

and of course..... freddy adu: this is a golden (no pun intended) opportunity for him for him to show his worth. plain and simple... he needs to show something

Ultra Peanut
06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
I think Cooper did something naughty with Bradley's dog, or something.

Adu ripped the shit out of Brazil at the U-20 World Cup in 2007. I cannot wait for him to find his place in Europe and start doing that for the full Nats.

carlos3652
06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
I was just reading through the comments... about the confed cup as a whole... i wanted to put it in perspective... there are 2 teams that played in this tourney that wont even make the World Cup because they are not going to qualify for it: Iraq and Egypt. New Zealand has to play a playoff vs the winner of Saudi Arabia vs Bahrain to even qualify for the world cup, and i dont think they will... (SA will win - Oceania has only been represented 3 times in the world cup and it was always Australia, who now is in Asia Qualifying instead). One is a host country (South Africa), they normally would not qualify through regular qualifiers. So half of the players in this tourney will not/may not/normally would not be a part of this world cup in 2010. This tourney is almost like an ncaa basketball's dance where only the postseason conf champion would be invited, leaving out other better teams due to upsets... etc..

It is a FIFA tourney, but not an important one (at least worldwide) Its a warm up to the WC... that being said, if the US goes back home and plays through the qualifiers and the gold cup like they played vs Spain and Brazil, they should win/tie every game as the only team that might give them issues is Mexico away... the problem is, that a lot of teams struggle on the road. Regardless of who you are... Powerhouse or not. (I still feel very confident that the US will qualify with ease through CONCACAF)

The WC is a different beast, I hope the US can continue their good play (like in the last 3 games) but that does not mean they will make it out of the first round, it will depend who is in their group.

Also, just an FYI, the winner, nor the runner up of the confed cup has ever won the World Cup tourney the year after...

Ultra Peanut
06-29-2009, 08:11 PM
BREAKING NEWS courtesy our friendly patronizing Argentinian!

The US played Italy, Brazil, Egypt, Spain, and Brazil. It was a valuable experience.

Spicy McHaggis
06-29-2009, 11:17 PM
heath pearce: the LB position still isn't settled. pearce was the guy for a while and it seemed he was a pretty safe bet for the WC. inexplicably, though, he's recently fallen out of favor with bob bradley.

It wasn't an inexplicable demotion with Pearce. He was playing like dogshit at the left back spot and someone else deserved/needed a shot there. I have no problem with him playing his way back into the starting 11, but at this point I'd much rather have Bocanegra or even Bornstein out there. Maybe he starts to get back on track here in the Gold Cup.

Silock
06-29-2009, 11:20 PM
More breaking news re: Carlos:

No shit. I just hope they start weighted seedings, like Septic Bladder was alluding to earlier last week. That is, instead of just having your 8 seeds, and then a pool of everyone else, you'd have, essentially, a #1, #2, #3 and #4 seed in each group.

That would be awesome. It might make it possible for the US to get out of the group stage that way. Because the USA IS the group of death. Whatever group we get, that's the group of death. Automatically.

|Zach|
06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
More breaking news re: Carlos:

No shit. I just hope they start weighted seedings, like Septic Bladder was alluding to earlier last week. That is, instead of just having your 8 seeds, and then a pool of everyone else, you'd have, essentially, a #1, #2, #3 and #4 seed in each group.

That would be awesome. It might make it possible for the US to get out of the group stage that way. Because the USA IS the group of death. Whatever group we get, that's the group of death. Automatically.

ROFL:(:deevee:

So true.

WoodDraw
06-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Speaking of the left back spot, Edgar Castillo has come out and said he'd like to play for the US after the FIFA rule change. I don't know much about him, but he could compete there. The more depth, the better.

Silock
06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
That's crazy. Bring him in for a look, I guess. As long as everyone else is doing it... why not?

That rule still pisses me off, though.

Spicy McHaggis
06-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Wow, okay. I'll definitely let El Homie take a shot at LB.

I'm with Silock on this rule though. Even though right now it's working to the US benefit, I really don't like or agree with it.

WoodDraw
06-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Some random news to keep this thread rolling:

The Confed Cup final game was the highest rated US soccer game for ESPN behind only world cup games US-Germany, US-Ghana, and US-Colombia. That's impressive.

Also, good news for Jozy:

*Following up on reports that Olympiakos has taken interest in USA forward Jozy Altidore, the Insider has learned that the Greek club has, indeed, stepped forward for a possible loan arrangement with Villarreal. An English club (reportedly Fulham) and multiple La Liga teams are also in the mix for a loan. Discussions between Altidore's reps and the clubs have commenced and a decision is expected in the coming weeks.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Ultra Peanut
06-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Well, Xerez got promoted. Maybe he can go there. :D

Spicy McHaggis
06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Jozy to Fulhamerica FTW!!!

Actually, I don't care where he goes as long as he gets minutes.

Ultra Peanut
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Portland (USL-1) vs. Seattle (MLS) had 16,802 on hand for a Lamar Hunt US Open Cup match on a weeknight. Because Portland fucking rules.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AucOzX9qqRA&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AucOzX9qqRA&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Timbers lost 2-1, though. :(

2011 can't come soon enough.

Silock
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
That's a huge turnout.

KC Dan
07-02-2009, 11:34 PM
That's a huge turnout.It was a good time and today was even better. Portland beat Bayern Munich 2-0 at PG&E park.

Not as good as a game at the Emirates but good nonetheless.

Silock
07-03-2009, 12:42 AM
In other news, Real Madrid has lost their FUCKING MINDS.

Kaka, Ronaldo, Albiol, Benzema and now they want Ribery too? Fuck.

Ultra Peanut
07-03-2009, 12:58 AM
If they get Ribery they'll have bought the best players from the English, Italian, French, and German leagues in one summer.

Silock
07-03-2009, 01:26 AM
And I still bet Barca will win the league next season.

the Talking Can
07-04-2009, 07:17 PM
adu scores at 7 min mark

Silock
07-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Adu's gonna get the goal, but that was ALL Robbie Rogers.

Silock
07-04-2009, 07:40 PM
2-0. Game over.

the Talking Can
07-04-2009, 07:41 PM
holden scores, nice cross from someone....bad bad defense

2-0 us

the Talking Can
07-04-2009, 08:26 PM
rodgers with a nice run for #3

3-0

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Davies!

Awesome ball from Pearce, great timing.

the Talking Can
07-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Davies scores

4-0

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Speaking of Grenada, god damn did the US system ever fail when they let Grenada cap Shalrie freakin' Joseph without even a token showing of interest in him.

the Talking Can
07-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Rogers has 2 assists and a goal....just missed another

Silock
07-05-2009, 04:18 AM
Speaking of Grenada, god damn did the US system ever fail when they let Grenada cap Shalrie freakin' Joseph without even a token showing of interest in him.

I guess. I agree they should have shown interest, but he's not THAT good.

Spicy McHaggis
07-07-2009, 01:22 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=659289&sec=transfers&cc=5901

I remember hearing about this kid, but I can't believe he got signed by Everton. That's a huge jump to make. Talk about living the dream.

That said, if he's any good the Nat team better get on the fucking ball and cap tie him.

Silock
07-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Onyewu is also being linked with a move to Real Madrid on a free.

loochy
07-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Onyewu is also being linked with a move to Real Madrid on a free.

Too bad because AC Milan just signed him.

Silock
07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
See... this is what exposure in a world tournament gets you. American players in great leagues on great teams.

This is fantastic news.

WoodDraw
07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
This is fantastic news.

If he plays. It's always fun to see one of your players go to a top team, but he needs to play in the run up to SA. Milan seams to be a good fit though, with the injury problems in their defense. This could be great if it works out.

Spicy McHaggis
07-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Too bad because AC Milan just signed him.

Good for Gooch, that's a nice place for him to end up as Nesta and a few other defensemen can't seem to stay healthy. Now they just need someone up top to lessen the blow of Kaka's sale.

Also, my disdain for Larrionda grows again. Not that it matters much right now, but my buddy said Michael Bradley got a 3 game suspension resulting from his bullshit red against Spain. The guy should be banned from ever officiating a US game again.

Ultra Peanut
07-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Holy shiiiiiit.

WoodDraw
07-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Also, my disdain for Larrionda grows again. Not that it matters much right now, but my buddy said Michael Bradley got a 3 game suspension resulting from his bullshit red against Spain. The guy should be banned from ever officiating a US game again.

I thought it was 4 games, but it doesn't really matter. CONCACAF gave us extra roster spots for the Gold Cup because 1) we were just in the Confederations Cup, and 2) it's CONCACAF. So, BB just put MB in one of those spots to serve his suspension during a tournament he was never going to play in. Awesome.

SPATCH
07-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Good for Gooch, that's a nice place for him to end up as Nesta and a few other defensemen can't seem to stay healthy. Now they just need someone up top to lessen the blow of Kaka's sale.

it's not going to effect us though... he gets to serve out his suspension during the Gold Cup (which I don't know how that works because he's not even on the roster lol)

Gooch going to AC Milan is huuuuge though...

And it won't be the last club upgrade for one of our boys this summer, either.

exciting stuff

Spicy McHaggis
07-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I thought it was 4 games, but it doesn't really matter. CONCACAF gave us extra roster spots for the Gold Cup because 1) we were just in the Confederations Cup, and 2) it's CONCACAF. So, BB just put MB in one of those spots to serve his suspension during a tournament he was never going to play in. Awesome.

I know. It's really more of a principle sort of thing for me. I'm stoked for tomorrow's game, time to see if the C team can play well against a decent opponent. Hopefully Cooper will get a look.

WoodDraw
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
And speaking of the Gold Cup, could it be any more boring this year? CONCACAF should move it to an every four years schedule to make it mean something. That way we get the Mexico and US A-teams and the Confederations Cup birth to play for.

This let's see if anyone can upset the US and Mexico B-teams crap sucks.

loochy
07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Hopefully Cooper will get a look. Seriously though....he so rarely gets a chance to play for the nats....WTF does Bradley have against him anyways?

WoodDraw
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
No posts?

I was only able to watch around 15 minutes, which ended in Davies to Quaranta. The 15 before that was pretty pathetic soccer though.

But I'll have to rewatch the game to see how anyone played.

I saw Ching's header later too off of the cross, which is what he does.

What formation did Honduras come out in? I know we're talking our B team against an A- poor team at best, but taking a draw into the 75th minute? Were they bunkering? And what did we come out with?

Silock
07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
No, they outplayed us for the first half. It was only when we started using Davies' speed and subbed out Adu that we really put it on them.

penguinz
07-09-2009, 05:40 AM

Also, my disdain for Larrionda grows again. Not that it matters much right now, but my buddy said Michael Bradley got a 3 game suspension resulting from his bullshit red against Spain. The guy should be banned from ever officiating a US game again.The 3 game is because he supposedly confronted the Referee in the tunnel after the match ended.

And it was a legit red. You can not come in studs up on a tackle. That is supposed to be a red everytime.

the Talking Can
07-09-2009, 06:24 AM
No posts?

I was only able to watch around 15 minutes, which ended in Davies to Quaranta. The 15 before that was pretty pathetic soccer though.

But I'll have to rewatch the game to see how anyone played.

I saw Ching's header later too off of the cross, which is what he does.

What formation did Honduras come out in? I know we're talking our B team against an A- poor team at best, but taking a draw into the 75th minute? Were they bunkering? And what did we come out with?

i'm not up on the technicalities of soccer, but it just seemed our midfield was reluctant to make anything happen....always moving sideways or backwards, but never attacking or finding people or taking risks...and Adu, outisde of a couple nice passes, did nothing but lose possession..like Dempsey on his worst day kind of lazy, imo...Adu never seems to give 100, which baffles me when you have that much natural talent...

as soon as Davies and Feilhaber came in, the game changed..we could have had 3-4 goals in the last 15 minutes...

Rodgers (who i was unfamiliar with, don't get to see US play much) continued to impress me, anyways. Seems to be everywhere and plays with a lot of confidence and some good skill. I thought he was the best player over these 2 games.

and the first goal we scored was beautiful...

Spicy McHaggis
07-10-2009, 02:28 AM
Finally got to watch the game this morning. Brief insomniac thoughts here.

The forwards for Honduras ran the entire first half and really put pressure on the ball, a bit of an adjustment from the miles of space the team saw against Grenada.

'Dolo and Pearce had fairly good games on the outside and covered up for our center backs some in my opinion. Neither Parkhurst or Marshall impressed me much as they let Honduran runners get behind them a few times. Lucky for the States, the Catrachos missed a wide open opportunity.

Rogers looked just as on as he did against Grenada, showing the pace to attack from out wide and get the ball across. Beckerman had a better showing than Pause but there wasn't a lot of development going through the midfield at times. Not a high point for the team in the middle really.

Adu didn't do much before getting subbed out and now he's heading back to the club (maybe not a bad idea, considering his lack of PT last season). Who knows if Bob Bradley thinks he showed enough to merit real consideration for the WC.

Davies looked good again. His speed simply changes the game, adding a real threat up top. Feilhaber too was great as a sub and it's a role he can really thrive in. I don't think he's someone to trust for a whole 90 at this point but he can bring a spark off the bench. The passing between them to set up Quaranta was great soccer.

Wrapping it up, it disappointed me slightly that the US had to count on two more known quantities in Davies and Feilhaber to win the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they were able to do so as it bodes well for the "A" team, but I wish we had seen more from the starting 11 in this game. The good news is that the Haiti game is no longer a must win and Bradley will be encouraged to put even more new faces out there to evaluate. And again I suggest Kenny Cooper, especially with Adu's departure. (I'll eat crow if he stinks it up)

WoodDraw
07-11-2009, 09:28 AM
And again I suggest Kenny Cooper, especially with Adu's departure. (I'll eat crow if he stinks it up)

You seem to have forgotten that Cooper brutally murdered Bob Bradley's pet dog as a child. Or something like that.

[edit]

Looks like Davies to Sochaux is official. Another move to a top league for one of our starting XI. I assume BB will release him to his club, so if Cooper doesn't get a chance now...

WoodDraw
07-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Also, if you haven't heard about the Mexico vs. Panama game, do yourself a favor and google it. The Mexican coach tried to kick Ricarrdo Phillips as he ran by. Phillips then refused to leave the pitch, finally escorted out by security while being pelted by fans.

Other hilights include a fight in the stands, two red cards in the first 45', Blas Perez being carried off and then falling off of a stretcher while again being barraged with stuff thrown by the Mexican fans, and Mexico once again playing like shit.

FIFA won't be impressed, I'm guessing.

Ultra Peanut
07-11-2009, 10:45 AM
It was pretty much the most CONCACAF match ever.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNqb0TIM6ZY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNqb0TIM6ZY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

WoodDraw
07-11-2009, 11:28 AM
http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20090710/118865.jpg

I think this was after the medical staff dropped the stretcher. Notice the police officer in the background. Awesome.

I can't wait for Azteca. God I'd love to beat them and watch that stadium melt down.

stlchiefs
07-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Mexico's coach better get a healthy suspension. A red for Phillips though? Did he have a yellow already? God I hate Mexico and want to see the MNT beat the shit out them.

SPATCH
07-11-2009, 12:55 PM
we owe those stinky mexican'ts a healthy fucking beat down

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 01:25 PM
http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20090710/118865.jpg

I think this was after the medical staff dropped the stretcher. Notice the police officer in the background. Awesome.

I can't wait for Azteca. God I'd love to beat them and watch that stadium melt down.

we better have copters waiting to get us out of there....after a 3-0 waxing....

CHENZ A!
07-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey when is the next televised game for the US National team? thanks!

WoodDraw
07-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Hey when is the next televised game for the US National team? thanks!

Two and a half hours if you have Fox Soccer Channel or a close bar. Next one on ESPN won't be until we play Mexico in August.

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 02:44 PM
also on telefutura(?)

mexican channel on most cable packages...

Valiant
07-11-2009, 02:59 PM
we better have copters waiting to get us out of there....after a 3-0 waxing....

It is not the same, but we had a wedding on the Yucatan peninsula. Most of my indoor team was there, we played the staff and locals for fun. We went undefeated..

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 03:15 PM
It is not the same, but we had a wedding on the Yucatan peninsula. Most of my indoor team was there, we played the staff and locals for fun. We went undefeated..

sounds pretty cool

i've been in the stadium, but not during an event....if ever the situation was ripe for an ass kicking, this is it...

Spicy McHaggis
07-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Also, if you haven't heard about the Mexico vs. Panama game, do yourself a favor and google it. The Mexican coach tried to kick Ricarrdo Phillips as he ran by. Phillips then refused to leave the pitch, finally escorted out by security while being pelted by fans.

Stay classy, Mexico.

Good news about Davies though, may he parlay it into even brighter and better things.

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 03:21 PM
there is a reverse angle shot of that "play"...and it clearly looks like the coach was attempting to kick the player...

WoodDraw
07-11-2009, 04:05 PM
i've been in the stadium, but not during an event....if ever the situation was ripe for an ass kicking, this is it...

I remember reading the stories after the last big game down there. They basically throw all the US supporters into a section and surround them with riot police. And you're still going to get beer and shit thrown at you. It's supposed to be a pretty intense experience. I can only imagine trying to leave that stadium if we win.

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 05:12 PM
us 1-0 in 5th minute

we scored some beautiful goals lately regardless of who is playing

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 06:15 PM
haiti scores 2 in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd

2-1 haiti

Baby Lee
07-11-2009, 06:17 PM
haiti scores 2 in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd

2-1 haiti

Fucking trainwreck, falling down as a cornerback? Shameful.

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 06:23 PM
****ing trainwreck, falling down as a cornerback? Shameful.

i wasn't watching, but it seems Heaps was the culprit in both

Baby Lee
07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
i wasn't watching, but it seems Heaps was the culprit in both

Fell down on a feint on the first one, drew the winger in to the keeper then gave up a cross to the middle with the keeper out from the posts on the other.

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Davies with great shot that was blocked....things just happen when he is in....

SPATCH
07-11-2009, 06:56 PM
stuart holden...

color me thoroughly impressed

HolmeZz
07-11-2009, 06:57 PM
What a strike.

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 06:57 PM
wow what a shot by holden!

in extra time

2-2

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 07:01 PM
mexico coach suspended 3 games

stlchiefs
07-11-2009, 07:04 PM

That's what I thought. What a little bitch. fock him

WoodDraw
07-11-2009, 10:20 PM

What a joke. I hope they get knocked out so he has to serve the suspension in WCQ. If this was FIFA, and not CONCACAF, he wouldn't have gotten by with a 3 game suspension.

A coach interferring with game play is indefensible. Mexico is lucky this game was Gold Cup and not WCQ in Mexico or they'd risk playing in front of an empty stadium.

WoodDraw
07-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Just got to watch the game:

Defense was not good. I'm not sure why Evans was in the back to begin with. He gave away a couple balls when he came forward too. Heaps looked awful. He got beat on both of the goals. I didn't notice Parkhurst much [edit - actually was he the one that got turned by one of the Haitian players for one of the goals? Pretty pathetic for a CB]. Conrad was fine.

Cooper didn't do much with his chance, other than show that Davies is a class above him right now. I actually thought Arnaud looked pretty good.

Holden was impressive, and deserves to keep getting looks. Everyone else, whatever. Haiti played a weird game.

WoodDraw
07-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Pretty pathetic showing by Panama at the end. Get off the field, especially after losing to a US c-team. They'll have quite a few players in for a long suspension, not that it matters.

And they're lucky they didn't get a red card off that penalty shot.

Spicy McHaggis
07-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Less than 3 hours to game time. Hopefully Parkhurst and Marshall can contain Costly again. Jay Heaps may prove to be a liability in this game.

In other news, Donovan and Clark getting a look from newly promoted Livorno in Serie A. Don't know much about them other than they got Gastón Cellerino to sign so they must have something going at least a bit.

http://www.examiner.com/x-16083-Soccer-Examiner~y2009m7d23-Donovan-Clark-to-Serie-A

the Talking Can
07-23-2009, 05:54 PM
goodson scores on header from corner kick, in extra time before half

US 1-0

US had several good chances to score, pretty solid half...

the Talking Can
07-23-2009, 06:55 PM
nice goal

ching to holden to cooper

in extra time again

2-0 US

Silock
07-24-2009, 01:18 AM
I don't know if we'll beat Mexico. I mean, I want to, but Honduras sucks, and we struggled against them.

Ultra Peanut
07-24-2009, 01:53 PM
@JimmyConrad posted:

Apparently, we're sharing a plane with the Mexican National Team. I hope the Mexico coach doesn't kick me when I walk past him in the aisle
7 minutes ago from mobile web

Spicy McHaggis
07-24-2009, 01:58 PM
@JimmyConrad posted:

Apparently, we're sharing a plane with the Mexican National Team. I hope the Mexico coach doesn't kick me when I walk past him in the aisle
7 minutes ago from mobile web

Well, cheap shots run in the team. Anyone remember this beauty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92rjMAg7mZg&feature=related

I'm sure Mexico is already thinking of excuses to make if they lose to the US "C" team.

Ultra Peanut
07-24-2009, 02:05 PM
In hindsight, breaking Eddie Johnson's leg would probably have been a favor to everyone.

Ultra Peanut
07-24-2009, 02:10 PM
It's official. Getafe have the best kits ever:

http://xs941.xs.to/xs941/09295/s151.jpg

http://xs941.xs.to/xs941/09295/2489.jpg

Spicy McHaggis
07-24-2009, 02:11 PM
In hindsight, breaking Eddie Johnson's leg would probably have been a favor to everyone.

I've never seen someone on the US side look so disinterested in the game.

CHIEF4EVER
07-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Is noone watching Chelski v AC Milan on ESPN besides me? 1-1 at half.

CHIEF4EVER
07-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Only 320 days until WC 2010. I can hardly wait.

the Talking Can
07-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Is noone watching Chelski v AC Milan on ESPN besides me? 1-1 at half.

yeah, good match

CHIEF4EVER
07-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Seedorf is an animal. Always did like him.

CHIEF4EVER
07-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Goooooooch!

CHIEF4EVER
07-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Dear Lord. 2-1. That was some ugly defending.

CHIEF4EVER
07-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Nice game. Very entertaining.

Silock
07-24-2009, 09:01 PM
I really like Seedorf also. Very underrated player.

CHIEF4EVER
07-25-2009, 04:55 PM
LA v KC on ESPN2 at 1900 (7:00 pm) CST.

CHIEF4EVER
07-25-2009, 07:59 PM
1-1 at half. Decent enough game.

the Talking Can
07-25-2009, 08:04 PM
beckham with some brilliant passes....

the Talking Can
07-26-2009, 12:40 PM
US / Mexico gold cup final in 20 minutes

JuicesFlowing
07-26-2009, 01:01 PM
So let me get this straight. This game is televised, yet the August 12th match against Mexico is NOT on tv ....

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 01:02 PM
That music:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gGWOPb50uI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gGWOPb50uI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shag
07-26-2009, 01:07 PM
What channel are you guys watching this on?

JuicesFlowing
07-26-2009, 01:08 PM
What channel are you guys watching this on?

Fox Soccer Channel

Shag
07-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Fox Soccer Channel

Apparently, I don't get that channel. Lame.

the Talking Can
07-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Apparently, I don't get that channel. Lame.

do you get any mexican channels, one of them always has it....that's what i'm watching

Fruit Ninja
07-26-2009, 01:35 PM
do you get any mexican channels, one of them always has it....that's what i'm watching
Thats what i am watching it on, sux its not in HD though. I am mexican and all, but these guys talk to fast, so i dont understand everything.haha

the Talking Can
07-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Thats what i am watching it on, sux its not in HD though. I am mexican and all, but these guys talk to fast, so i dont understand everything.haha

i like it, i understand just enough to get the gist....plus they are much more excitable than american announcers, a lot more style...

Fruit Ninja
07-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Ya, they get into it big time. They make it more exciting.

Shag
07-26-2009, 01:47 PM

Yeah, I did end up finding a low-def spanish telecast. Tough to watch, but I'll take what I can get, lol...

SPATCH
07-26-2009, 01:52 PM
i wonder if there is a live stream anywhere??? i don't have FSC or any hispanic channels..

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Yo spatula:

http://www.atdhe.net

And yeah, as excitable as (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW2d-QrnFgA)Max Bretos can be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML7Kh_Na3Tg), it's not the same as hearing "¡MUCHISIMO PELIGRO!"

the Talking Can
07-26-2009, 01:58 PM
well, pretty even squads....considering this is our C team (right?), mostly, I'll take it....

JuicesFlowing
07-26-2009, 02:02 PM

Will they have the Aug 12 match? I haven't been able to find out yet, surely it will be on one of those channels.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Telemundo has both the English- and Spanish-language rights, and they'll be playing the English broadcast on mun2. Which almost no one gets.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Two really nice opportunities there, first stemming from a great move by Beckerman and the latter ending with Rogers zipping it over.

Also, I've found a no-commentary feed on ATDHE. Just the crowd and PA. It's awesome.

Reaper16
07-26-2009, 02:23 PM
The feed on FSC looks like a PS1 game.

Baby Lee
07-26-2009, 02:27 PM
What a BS penalty. I fucking hate floppy forwards.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 02:30 PM
CONCACAF REFS

cj2wr
07-26-2009, 02:31 PM
BS call. The one thing i hate bout soccer. the flops

CHENZ A!
07-26-2009, 02:33 PM
can someone explain why we are using our "C" team? we're getting worked.

Shag
07-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Either I'm blind, or there was a guy 5 yds offsides on that 2nd goal...

the Talking Can
07-26-2009, 02:34 PM
well, so much for that...

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Every nine years or so, a blind squirrel is bound to find a B/C-team acorn.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 02:36 PM
can someone explain why we are using our "C" team? we're getting worked.Because this tournament is literally devoid of all meaning.

Fruit Ninja
Wow, i step away for 30 min and its 2-0 Mexico

Fruit Ninja
3-0 now, getting worked over.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 02:41 PM
These guys should seriously never even get another look for the B-team, much less the full side.

Fruit Ninja
07-26-2009, 02:48 PM
wow. 4-0 lol assbeating

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 02:55 PM
so that was pretty lol

Fruit Ninja
07-26-2009, 03:00 PM
wow, did USA just give up? 5-0?

Baby Lee
07-26-2009, 03:01 PM
That defense is unmitigated ass. The mexican forwards aren't even that talented and it's like the US forgot the back 3rd of the field even exists.

I actually regret watching this, wasted time on a bunch of scrubs.

Fruit Ninja
07-26-2009, 03:04 PM
lol the good thing about this is no matter how it came out. there was no way i could be dissapointed haha

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Mexico = Bolivia wut wut

Fruit Ninja
07-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Should just be upset that the team fucking game up at the end. 5 goals in 1 fucking half? Play for your fucking pride at least. 5 goals in 1 half? please. Dont fucking lay down.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I pretty much don't ever want to see even the salvageable guys, whom I would list as Beckerman and Holden and maybe Rogers, someday, on the main team. Pathetic.

Baby Lee
07-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Should just be upset that the team fucking game up at the end. 5 goals in 1 fucking half? Play for your fucking pride at least. 5 goals in 1 half? please. Dont fucking lay down.

They have shit cornerbacks. If they don't get juked they foul. If they don't get juked or foul, they aren't even there, lounging somewhere back at midfield. That dude at left CB is the William Bartee of USFL, was directly responsible for two goals from last week where he looked like that time Iverson doubled crossovered Jordan.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 03:30 PM
They have shit cornerbacks. If they don't get juked they foul. If they don't get juked or foul, they aren't even there, lounging somewhere back at midfield<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/armmKMwfUtk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/armmKMwfUtk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>?

Baby Lee
07-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Never really 'liked' Deion but always loved to watch him play. I guess you're taking umbrage with the term cornerback? I just grew up calling the D, sweep, stop, left corner, right corner.

Fruit Ninja
07-26-2009, 04:49 PM
They have shit cornerbacks. If they don't get juked they foul. If they don't get juked or foul, they aren't even there, lounging somewhere back at midfield. That dude at left CB is the William Bartee of USFL, was directly responsible for two goals from last week where he looked like that time Iverson doubled crossovered Jordan.

maybe so, but it was 0-0 at the half. Scoring 5 in 1 half in a finals is unacceptable. Even for JV teams. lol They were competitive in the half and then WTF? lol

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2009, 05:04 PM
So hey, xiv, did this solidify your US loyalties? Do you hate El Tri now?

Because a hard-fought game between San Jose and LA on the Fourth of July, five years ago, ended in a San Jose loss and my loyal fandom after going in being kind of torn between the two sides.

Oh wait, I forgot, the Quakes actually showed up for that game.

Fruit Ninja
07-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I root for the USA in just about every single sport we play. Actually every one but 1 and even that 1 i root for them until they play Mexico. My mom was born and raised there. Half of my family lives there.

IF that makes me a bad American, then so be it. I can live with it. I live with alot worse. haha

I am not much into soccer, to be honest i only really watch international games.

stlchiefs
07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I root for the USA in just about every single sport we play. Actually every one but 1 and even that 1 i root for them until they play Mexico. My mom was born and raised there. Half of my family lives there.

IF that makes me a bad American, then so be it. I can live with it. I live with alot worse. haha

I am not much into soccer, to be honest i only really watch international games.

Benedict Arnold!

Spicy McHaggis
07-27-2009, 09:39 AM
That was a brutal game, even for the backups' backups. Apparently if the opposing side scores on a fairly ill-given PK, then as a consequence you forget how to run an off-sides trap and play any semblance of defense.

My brief take (as half-assed as the US effort):

Heath Pearce is still garbage. He looks fine against weaker competition and then gets his ass turned around by anyone with decent skill.

Holden should get a shot playing up with the first squad. He can play either side and created chances for the players around him even when nothing else was going on.

Perkins looked good in goal. Definitely pressing for that 3rd spot.

He's not ready to move up to the first team but damn, Kenny Cooper can actually move for a big guy. His step over against Honduras made me do a double take.

SPATCH
07-27-2009, 02:02 PM
after having a day to cool off... i'm still satisfied with the overall outcome of the tournament despite what transpired yesterday. we learned a few things:

1. Holden needs to be the first winger off the bench over guys like Sacha Klejstan and DaMarcus Beasley in the full squad.

2. Chad Marshall is a viable candidate to provide depth at CB for the full squad.

3. Cooper should be our fourth forward (Altidore, Davies, Ching, Cooper)

4. Quaranta and Beckerman will provide good competition for a WC spot in an already loaded midfield.

5. LB is still our weakspot. Pearce's stock fell... hard.

DJJasonp
07-27-2009, 02:07 PM
after having a day to cool off... i'm still satisfied with the overall outcome of the tournament despite what transpired yesterday. we learned a few things:

1. Holden needs to be the first winger off the bench over guys like Sacha Klejstan and DaMarcus Beasley in the full squad.

2. Chad Marshall is a viable candidate to provide depth at CB for the full squad.

3. Cooper should be our fourth forward (Altidore, Davies, Ching, Cooper)

4. Quaranta and Beckerman will provide good competition for a WC spot in an already loaded midfield.

5. LB is still our weakspot. Pearce's stock fell... hard.

I like your assesment...except #3. I'm not sure we want that many "slow and cloddy" big guys in the forward position. Altidore and Ching can hold the ball while holding off defenders - but they're both fairly slow (especially Ching). Cooper is even slower (maybe our Peter Crouch?).

I'd like one more speed guy in that group.

Spicy McHaggis
07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I like your assesment...except #3. I'm not sure we want that many "slow and cloddy" big guys in the forward position. Altidore and Ching can hold the ball while holding off defenders - but they're both fairly slow (especially Ching). Cooper is even slower (maybe our Peter Crouch?).

Cooper is better in the air than Crouch IMO but I understand your comparison.

I too, would like some more speed coming in at the forward spot but right now it's not a great position of strength. Davies really is our only pace guy, although Altidore has decent wheels. Outside of moving Dempsey to striker or a miraculous turnaround by Eddie Johnson I just don't see who else could be put into that "speed" category in the forward position.

That said and given our options, I much prefer Cooper to Casey as our 4th forward. Hopefully Bob Bradley sees it the same way.

SPATCH
07-27-2009, 10:09 PM

I feel the same way.... and McHaggis kinda nailed it for me

Cooper is better in the air than Crouch IMO but I understand your comparison.

I too, would like some more speed coming in at the forward spot but right now it's not a great position of strength. Davies really is our only pace guy, although Altidore has decent wheels. Outside of moving Dempsey to striker or a miraculous turnaround by Eddie Johnson I just don't see who else could be put into that "speed" category in the forward position.

That said and given our options, I much prefer Cooper to Casey as our 4th forward. Hopefully Bob Bradley sees it the same way.

I was a little reluctant to bring his name up, because he's long been left for dead... but I still believe in EJ

I'm just waiting for him to sort of "rise from the ashes"... and he's got a shot to do it at Fulham. He's been scoring goals this preseason, and from what I've read, he's got his confidence back.

If he can make it onto the Fulham squad this year as the 4th striker I have no doubt that Roy Hodgson will make a classy striker out of him...

... we need some more speed up top for sure (especially coming off the bench late in a match)... and Lord knows he's got it

Ultra Peanut
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
That way lies madness.

Reaper16
07-27-2009, 10:26 PM
EJ, come back to the Wiz. You were actually good on that team.

ArrowheadHawk
07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
What ever happened to that adu kid that was supposed to be a bad ass?

WoodDraw
07-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I miss the final (thank god) and come back to find people talking abou EJ getting another look? Must have been brutal.

Easily the worst team that we've put out for awhile. Another reason why CONCACAF needs to end the money grab and change the Gold Cup to a four year cycle.

Spicy McHaggis
07-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I the miss the final (thank god) and come back to find people talking abou EJ getting another look? Must have been brutal.

Easily the worst team that we've put out for awhile. Another reason why CONCACAF needs to end the money grab and change the Gold Cup to a four year cycle.

If Eddie Johnson leads the EPL in scoring, I'll give him another chance.

And yes, the Gold Cup needs to look at doing something different in the scheduling department.

Spicy McHaggis
07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Kenny Cooper to TSV 1860, which I believe is the same club Josh Wolff played with. Probably not a bad place for him.

I'm suffering from this soccer lull. No EPL yet and 12 days till US v Mex. Sigh.

WoodDraw
08-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Kenny Cooper to TSV 1860, which I believe is the same club Josh Wolff played with. Probably not a bad place for him.

I'm suffering from this soccer lull. No EPL yet and 12 days till US v Mex. Sigh.

God I can't wait for the USA-Mex game. I'm trying to keep my expectations down, but I feel like if we're to beat Mexico at Azteca, now would be it. After our Confederations run and then having our C-team getting murdered, now would be incredible. I hear mun2 is offering up a free preview for everyone that day, so I'm crossing my fingers I get the game. Or, I'm headed to a bar.

That's a good move for Cooper. He needs to work on technical skills, and that wasn't going to happen at FC Dallas. Another quality loss for MLS, but that won't change until they address the salary cap issues.

Something I've been talking with my friends lately, what strikers do you bring to SA? You have Altidore and Davies as current locks. Ching too, as much as a I don't love him, provides something off the bench. But who else?

We have so much MF depth that it's tempting to say screw it, and bring extra MFers that can play an attacking position if needed. But that's gotten us into trouble in the past.

Whatever. Here's to a hell of a game in a couple of weeks.

Silock
08-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Honestly, I'd say Davy Arnaud should be one of the forward options.

SPATCH
08-02-2009, 01:00 AM

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no...

i love davy.... he's a great wizard... but count me as one of the those who wants to see Eddie Johnson get another shot

Spicy McHaggis
08-02-2009, 11:41 AM

I love his work rate and as a die hard Wizards fan I'm rooting for him, but he didn't do too much to impress me at the Gold Cup overall.

I still would lean to Cooper over Arnaud right now.

Silock
08-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I love his work rate and as a die hard Wizards fan I'm rooting for him, but he didn't do too much to impress me at the Gold Cup overall.

I still would lean to Cooper over Arnaud right now.

He didn't do much in the final, but he was money in the other games. I'm not calling for him to start over Ching or Altidore or Davies, but as a sub in the 70th minute or so, he brings a lot of intensity and fire to the game. Plus, he's not afraid of taking people on.

And I don't even really *like* the Wizards.

Silock
08-02-2009, 05:03 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no...

i love davy.... he's a great wizard... but count me as one of the those who wants to see Eddie Johnson get another shot

Arnaud isn't good enough, but EJ is? I'm not sure if this is a joke post or not . . .

DJJasonp
08-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Eddie was great - IF the ball came right to him...and the defender stayed off of him (Eddie tends to fall almost as much as Beasley).

WoodDraw
08-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Arnaud isn't good enough, but EJ is? I'm not sure if this is a joke post or not . . .

I'm with you on this. I thought Arnaud made a hell of an argument in the Gold Cup to get WCQ looks.

EJ over...anyone. That's a mean joke. Anyone who ever watched EJ played with the national team knows he has no place right now.

We're not talking a starting forward, but Arnaud is far more capable. I'd put him far above Cooper right now. US fans have a horrible habit of overrating players with potential who do nothing. That's the only reason Adu still has a place on nearly every fans list of SA players.

If you're talking impact and not potential, I'll take Arnaud every time over Cooper.

Silock
08-03-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm with you on this. I thought Arnaud made a hell of an argument in the Gold Cup to get WCQ looks.

I think many are basing it on the final, where was completely outplayed. However, he was tired (by his own admission), and so was the rest of the team. They all got outplayed. But he was intimately involved in all of the effective attacks made by the US in the other games in the tournament.

EJ over...anyone. That's a mean joke. Anyone who ever watched EJ played with the national team knows he has no place right now.

I hope he can develop a little more in the EPL, but I'm not holding out high hopes.

US fans have a horrible habbit of overrating players with potential who do nothing. That's the only reason Adu still has a place on nearly every fans list of SA players.

If you're talking impact and not potential, I'll take Arnaud every time over Cooper.

I agree. I WANT Cooper and Adu to do well. But Cooper has shown very little at the national level (even though he did have a couple of good strikes for goal in the Gold Cup, overall, he wasn't a good part of the attack). Adu has shown it in his age group, but not with the big boys. Maybe he'll get more playing time in Europe, which is what he needs.

Spicy McHaggis
08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I agree. I WANT Cooper and Adu to do well. But Cooper has shown very little at the national level (even though he did have a couple of good strikes for goal in the Gold Cup, overall, he wasn't a good part of the attack). Adu has shown it in his age group, but not with the big boys. Maybe he'll get more playing time in Europe, which is what he needs.

Cooper, if anything, just showed a knack for being at the right place at the right time. The game he started he looked pretty bad, but as a sub I thought there were flashes. Hopefully the move over the pond helps him fine tune his ability. Now that I've thought a bit more about it, I may want to stick with a more experienced player in Arnaud for SA 2010. I also like that Arnaud can also hit from distance if given space.

At this point if I'm Bob Bradley, Adu isn't on the squad. At a crowded position, there just isn't a spot for raw potential. The kid desperately needs a fresh start with a new club, one that he can get playing time with. Maybe he can play himself back onto the Nat. team this year, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

On a side note, as of yesterday is Jermaine Jones officially eligible to be capped by the US? I heard the original October date was a mistake.

Silock
08-03-2009, 10:45 AM
On a side note, as of yesterday is Jermaine Jones officially eligible to be capped by the US? I heard the original October date was a mistake.

It would sahWEET to have him for Azteca.

Spicy McHaggis
08-03-2009, 12:40 PM
It would sahWEET to have him for Azteca.

It would indeed. I know he was getting over an injury though, so even if is eligible he may not be fit to go.

WoodDraw
08-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I doubt they'll give Jones his first cap in a game this big. He wouldn't have even met the coaches or players, let alone practiced. Probably won't see him until we clench a WC spot. I don't know what our friendly schedule is, but that would be another posibility.

CHENZ A!
08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
First off, thanks for all the info guys.

Can anyone tell me about Jones? Is he a player coming in under the "new" rules allowing players more choice of what country to play for even if they aren't really from there? What the deal? You guys think he will be on our WC roster?

Thanks!

Spicy McHaggis
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
First off, thanks for all the info guys.

Can anyone tell me about Jones? Is he a player coming in under the "new" rules allowing players more choice of what country to play for even if they aren't really from there? What the deal? You guys think he will be on our WC roster?

Thanks!

Basically, Jones can play for the States because he never received a cap with the senior German squad. Playing in friendlies and youth national games no longer preclude a person from playing for another country and having to switch before the age of 21 has been removed. His mother was a native German and his father was an American serviceman.

Jones is talented enough to be included on the WC roster. It's simply a matter of getting him integrated with the other players and building rapport with the team.

In other news, Real Madrid can **** themselves for taking Alonso and making their whole shopping spree. At least the Reds got 30+ million pounds in the deal.

Silock
08-05-2009, 05:35 AM
Speaking of -- who's doing the CP EPL fantasy league this year?

SPATCH
08-05-2009, 07:34 AM

keep on doubting Eddie Johnson mother fuckers

WoodDraw
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Jozy's headed to England now, apparantly. No word on the club, but Hull City is the rumor.

They'll be in a relegation fight all season, but at least he'll play. Plus, it's a loan, so play well and he's basicly guaranteed a better club next year. A 100% improvement on last years disaster, if true.

http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4984

Spicy McHaggis
08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Jozy's headed to England now, apparantly. No word on the club, but Hull City is the rumor.

They'll be in a relegation fight all season, but at least he'll play. Plus, it's a loan, so play well and he's basicly guaranteed a better club next year. A 100% improvement on last years disaster, if true.

http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4984

I heard Everton and Fulham had been looking at him as well.

Hull won't be a bad place because, as you said, he's going to play. I'm loving all the, well, love that the Yanks are getting overseas right now. The Toffees just signed Cody Arnoux too.

Spicy McHaggis
08-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Roster announced for the Qualifier:

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England)

DEFENDERS: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan, Italy), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England)

MIDFIELDERS: Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach, Germany), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus, Denmark), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca, Mexico)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Hull City, England), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Charlie Davies (Sochaux, France), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy

-----------------------------

Interesting to note that Donovan is listed as a forward. Would Bradley stick Landon up top with Davies/Altidore in a traditional 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 variation?

Holden makes the jump to the A team and Torres gets back on the squad, nice.

Silock
08-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I hope Torres plays. He'll do well against hte MExican team.

Baby Lee
08-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Poor Toronto

Silock
08-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah, but Marvell Wynne has looked really good tonight. Hopefully he'll get traded overseas. I think he could really really be a good left back for us in the future. He just needs practice.

WoodDraw
08-08-2009, 12:15 PM
No Hejduk? He was always one of my favorite players. Probably not a starter anymore, but he's still a quality defender. I hope he's not out of WC contention.

Spicy McHaggis
08-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, but Marvell Wynne has looked really good tonight. Hopefully he'll get traded overseas. I think he could really really be a good left back for us in the future. He just needs practice.

I thought he looked quite good as well. The physical attributes aren't in doubt with Wynne, the kid has speed to burn.

Buck
08-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Is the game on TV tomorrow?

I want to record it.

Spicy McHaggis
08-11-2009, 04:27 PM
What ever happened to that adu kid that was supposed to be a bad ass?

Possible move to OB for Adu. Pretty good Danish side and the aforementioned fresh start should do him good.

Less than 24 hours till kickoff. Taking a half day at work and heading out to the pub. Man, I'm excited.

Spicy McHaggis
08-11-2009, 04:30 PM

I want to record it.

It's on Mun2. Supposedly certain cable companies will give access to their customers for free for one day so check your listings.

WoodDraw
08-11-2009, 11:05 PM

I want to record it.

Ohh, wait. We're playing Mexico tomorrow?

I've reached Confederations Cup finals level excitement for this game tomorrow. I'm not expecting much, but I have the day off and I'll be watching soccer all day.

And, how cool is it that ESPN is doing a live pregame at soccer game they don't have the TV rights to. That shows how far soccer has come here. And, no one is aloud to make fun of ESPN about soccer for like a week at least. Unless we lose 5-0. Then it's okay.

Predictions!

-Altidore-Davies-
-Donovan-Bradley-Clark-Dempsey-
-Boca-Onyewu-DeMerit-Spector-
-Howard

Subs depend on the game, especially given the shit conditions. Ching will be there at some point. Same with MF, but I have no idea on what subs I'd make. The game will decide.

USA pulls out a draw and comes away with a point, 1-1, or 2-2.

WoodDraw
08-11-2009, 11:09 PM

I want to record it.

Make sure you plan early. Likely, you'll get the game.

The game is on telemundo and mun2 (mundos). If you get telemundo, you can use SAP to get the English feed. If you don't, most cable providers are making mun2 available for today to allow everyone to get the game. Your best bet, call ahead and ask.

If you don't, there are some online feeds.

WoodDraw
08-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Possible move to OB for Adu. Pretty good Danish side and the aforementioned fresh start should do him good.

Less than 24 hours till kickoff. Taking a half day at work and heading out to the pub. Man, I'm excited.

Adu is the last big name we need to find some playing time for. I don't care where he goes, as long as he plays. And at this point, I'm sure he agrees. If he wants to make the WC roster, he has no chance other than playing his way on from the club level.

Spicy McHaggis
08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Adu is the last big name we need to find some playing time for. I don't care where he goes, as long as he plays. And at this point, I'm sure he agrees. If he wants to make the WC roster, he has no chance other than playing his way on from the club level.

This whole situation might be a good thing in the end for Adu. He definitely lacked some maturity and (to me at least) has always showed a bit of sense of entitlement. Having to really scrape, fight and claw his way for playing time on both his club and the national team may result in Adu sort of growing up.

I hope he succeeds, Adu seems like a good kid who had the spotlight shown on him very early on. It would have been tough to live up to the expectations of US soccer fans. Now though, now it's time to start stepping it up.

the Talking Can
08-12-2009, 11:10 AM
anyone know if you can find this online?

SPATCH
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM

anyone? please?

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 11:28 AM

http://www.terra.com/futbol_estelar/mexico-vs-usa/

En español

I'll keep any eye out for English...

the Talking Can
08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.terra.com/futbol_estelar/mexico-vs-usa/

En español

I'll keep any eye out for English...

thanks, I usually watch the mexican channels at home...so the language doesn't bother me...

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
1-Howard; 6-Cherundolo, 5-Onyewu, 15-DeMerit, 3-Bocanegra (capt.); 8-Dempsey , 13-Clark, 12-Bradley, 10-Donovan; 9-Davies, 11-Ching

Not crazy about Cherundolo or Ching. Bradley obviously doesn't think Jozy can go the full game. Ching's in season form. Whatever.

Great Expectations
08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
www.channelsurfing.net has it in English

Buck
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Wow this is so huge. I'm not going to get to watch it, but I'll follow it on Espn.com

ElGringo
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Watching pregame now with a great picture, but spanish audio http://www.justin.tv/alv3

Fruit Ninja
08-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Direct tv is going to have it on 203 today.

Cant wait, thats in an hour. my brother in law, who is from mexico, but grew up here didnt work today to watch it. haha

Going to be fun.

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 01:27 PM
"ussoccer: Out comes the #USMNT for warmups, the crowd gives an appreciative cheer. Actually, no, no they don't. The whistles are deafening"

You can hear the crowd from outside the stadium on the ESPN broadcast. They're getting ready to do a half hour special if anyone wants to watch.

chiefy
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
anyone know if the game will be on dish network? in english perhaps??

EDIT: Nevermind i found it. It's on channel 838 if anyone's looking on dish.

Silock
08-12-2009, 01:51 PM
It's on Comcast today only, channel 607 (if you live in Olathe). Hope this helps.

Call your local Comcast or cable provider office if you can't find it. NBC is offering Telemundo2 today only as a free preview for all its distributors.

10 min til kickoff.

stlchiefs
08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
DTV on channel 203, free today only. I brought some work home so I can sit in front of the tv and work while I watch the US win.

Great Expectations
08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
I thought it was supposed to be pouring down rain today? Granted, I'm watching a bad online feed but it looks like a sun shiney day.

Great Expectations
08-12-2009, 02:12 PM
GOAL!!!!!!!!

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 02:12 PM
GOOOOOAL

the Talking Can
08-12-2009, 02:13 PM
who made that pass?

that was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chiefy
08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
donavan did. beautiful pass

the Talking Can
08-12-2009, 02:23 PM
1-1

nice defense

Fruit Ninja
08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Got us a game so far.

penguinz
08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
1-1

nice defenseYou mean you are not supposed to duck out of the way of a shot on goal?

stlchiefs
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
You mean you are not supposed to duck out of the way of a shot on goal?

Only the captain can. Team rule.

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Bocanegra is playing like shit. Get him outta there.

Good game so far, minus our complete lack of a possesion game which just sucks to watch. Screw the ref too. I hate CONCACAF refs.

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 02:58 PM
The central MF hasn't done shit either, but I don't know what you do about that.

Jozy for Ching around the 60' mark.
Spector for some defender, now. Boca has looked the worst of the group.

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 02:59 PM
P.S. Lamest. Halftime Show. Ever.

the Talking Can
08-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Bocanegra is playing like shit. Get him outta there.

Good game so far, minus our complete lack of a possesion game which just sucks to watch. Screw the ref too. I hate CONCACAF refs.

i'm listening to it, only seen bits...but the possession thing is frustrating...is it that damn hard to not just kick the ball back to the mexican midfield?

stlchiefs
08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
3 yellows for the US 0 for Mexico is BS. Call it fair.

Buck
08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
3 Reds? You are joking, right?

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
i'm listening to it, only seen bits...but the possession thing is frustrating...is it that damn hard to not just kick the ball back to the mexican midfield?

It's soo frustrating. They've got to learn to clear the ball better. For a counter attacking team, we seam to struggle with the whole, you know, countering thing.

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Yellows.

stlchiefs
08-12-2009, 03:04 PM

SHIT, meant yellows. Real bad mistake on the colors there. :eek:

stlchiefs
08-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Paulina Rubio is hot.

Detoxing
08-12-2009, 03:06 PM
So whats the score?

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I think we should actually play with our central mids this half. It could help.

Detoxing
08-12-2009, 03:07 PM
I think we should actually play with our central mids this half. It could help.

Still 1-1?

stlchiefs
08-12-2009, 03:07 PM
So whats the score?

1-1

2nd half just started

penguinz
08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
3 yellows for the US 0 for Mexico is BS. Call it fair.Two of the yellows were legit. I saw one for Mexico that should have been a booking.

stlchiefs
08-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Two of the yellows were legit. I saw one for Mexico that should have been a booking.

I agree. If it was 2 for the US 1 for Mexico I'd be ok, but he's not calling the cards fair. The calls have been fair, but a simply foul v. card has not been equal.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Well, this is weird.

I kind of feel like we're going to sneak at least a draw, defying all reason.

KCCHIEFS27
08-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Most of our guys are looking tired at this point..like that move..off goes ching in comes feilhaber

penguinz
08-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Howard deserves a raise in pay.

Great Expectations
my channelsurfing.net feed is kicking me offline, what site are you all watching?

KCCHIEFS27
by the way, bocanegra sucks today..

KCCHIEFS27
08-12-2009, 03:22 PM
http://envivo.terra.com/deportes/live/259-eu/

It is in spanish..

Great Expectations
08-12-2009, 03:26 PM
thank you, do they have the interwebs in Mexico?

WoodDraw
08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
These calls are atrocious

Great Expectations
08-12-2009, 03:32 PM
about as bad as our ball control

KCCHIEFS27
08-12-2009, 03:33 PM
DAMNN

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2009, 03:33 PM
nnnnnnnnng so close

chiefy
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
i'm guessing we'll finish this match with 10 the ways these calls are goin.

wow davies almost had it

penguinz
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Good offside call.

Great Expectations
08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
effing horrible call just outside the box