PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports FIFA 2009

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

WoodDraw
10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
How many wide open chances can we miss in 1 game?

Answer: A lot.

Dear Bob Bradley,

Casey doesn't have to play every game even though he scored two goals. Once.

Loves,

US Soccer Fans

P.S. Altidore badly wants a goal. Don't listen to dumbass Lalas.

Silock
10-14-2009, 07:05 PM
I expect us to come out on fire in the second half for Charlie.

Silock
10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
GAH. WTF?

We're playing like shit.

Silock
10-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Finally. 1 down, 2 to go.

the Talking Can
10-14-2009, 07:47 PM
and now gooch is hurt badly

this is a disaster week for the us

the Talking Can
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
and for some reason two costa rican coaches have been ejected

the Talking Can
10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
holy crap!!

us ties off a corner 4:30 in extra time

costa rica is out now?

KCCHIEFS27
10-14-2009, 08:03 PM
holy crap!!

us ties off a corner 4:30 in extra time

costa rica is out now?

Playoff I believe now with a South American team..Uruguay?

WoodDraw
10-14-2009, 08:04 PM
YESSSSSS

WoodDraw
10-14-2009, 08:08 PM
CONCACAF champions and we send Costa Rica to the playoffs. Congrats to Honduras on punching their ticket for SA.

Silock
10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Incredible finish.

Now, Gooch AND Davies are fucked up? Not looking good for us. I wonder if Jermaine Jones can play CB.

CHENZ A!
10-14-2009, 08:26 PM
damn, that sucks so bad about Onyewu. But I have never been more excited about a tie. We are the champs! I only was able to watch the second half, but I thought the best player for us was Torres. Where has that guy been?

WoodDraw
10-14-2009, 08:35 PM
damn, that sucks so bad about Onyewu. But I have never been more excited about a tie. We are the champs! I only was able to watch the second half, but I thought the best player for us was Torres. Where has that guy been?

I agree. We need to experiment in the central mid with our upcoming friendlies and see if we can't find a better duo than Bradley and Feilhaber/Clark. Feilhaber especially disappeared.

I liked Bradley's subbing this game, putting aside the WTF Casey start. Other than that, I was way to nervous/crazy to notice much about other players. I'll have to rewatch the game. Donovan and Altidore seemed to be everywhere, though.

Also, cheers to the NY fans who are chanting "Charlie Davies" at their game right now.

carlos3652
10-14-2009, 09:07 PM
wow, US just screwed Costa Rica, a tie meant nothing to the us... ill tell you right now the costa rica fans are pissed 1000x more at the US than they used to be...

Uruguay is a good team...

Silock
10-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Costa Rica screwed themselves. If they hadn't started time wasting in the 1st half, there wouldn't have been 5 minutes of stoppage time.

Altidore defending from the front definitely helped. Torres/Bradley midfield was AWESOME. We need more of that.

big nasty kcnut
10-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Costa rica sucks.2nd why Freddy Adu not on team usa.

carlos3652
10-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Costa Rica screwed themselves. If they hadn't started time wasting in the 1st half, there wouldn't have been 5 minutes of stoppage time.

5 min seems too much... 1st half time wasting should be applied to the first half stoppage, not second time...

Usually stoppage time is 3 min, unless there is a penalty involved... US screwed Costa Rica... im not saying its a bad thing... im just saying they werent playing for anything... but acted like they were... and celebrated a tie at home... a game after they had already qualified... poor sportsmanship in my opinion...

you dont see anyone else that has been there before celebrating a tie at home that meant nothing... unless they all wanted to dedicate the tie to davies, which i could understand that logic...

loochy
10-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Costa rica sucks.2nd why Freddy Adu not on team usa.

Adu doesn't even play often for his club team (Beleneses, relegation fodder in the Portugese League). Once he starts getting consistent playing time and shows a little something, we might see him again. His time of living off hype and his U-20 world cup performance has come to an end.

Also, Gooch has a torn patellar tendon (ouch!) and will be out for around 4 months. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and he can regain some form and fitness before South Africa....

WoodDraw
10-15-2009, 11:53 AM
LOL at AC Milan

"I'm very angry because once again the national teams take our players and we have to pay the consequences of injuries," Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani was quoted as saying by Italian media on Thursday.

"We demand compensation from the American Federation because we cannot pay the salary of a player who cannot play for six months."

Can I be compensated for my time wasted watching your team? That's gotta be worth about as much as Onyewu, based on his playing time so far.

loochy
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
LOL at AC Milan

Can I be compensated for my time wasted watching your team? That's gotta be worth about as much as Onyewu, based on his playing time so far.

I agree with you on this - he doesn't get paid all that much (relative to the other ACM players) AND he gets 0 playing time. Stop bitching.

I bet Real Madrid is pretty pissed at Portugal right now. Ronaldo is out for a month or so. And I bet Sochaux is pretty sore about losing Davies.

carlos3652
10-15-2009, 12:00 PM
LOL at AC Milan

WoodDraw - in all fairness, the national football association that is requiring the services of paid employee who is contracted by someone else, should be liable if he gets hurt while they provide services to the national team...

at least to some extent,

You have to realize that AC Milan will be footing the bill for medical expenses and such as well... not only the salary of the player... but the re coup process as well... (all to no fault of AC milan)

carlos3652
10-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I agree with you on this - he doesn't get paid all that much (relative to the other ACM players) AND he gets 0 playing time. Stop bitching.

I bet Real Madrid is pretty pissed at Portugal right now. Ronaldo is out for a month or so. And I bet Sochaux is pretty sore about losing Davies.

You dont think the Spurs would be pissed if Ginoblli hurt himself while playing for Argentina... or Dallas being pissed if Dirk hurt himself playing for Germany - they are out for a full season?

Silock
10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
5 min seems too much... 1st half time wasting should be applied to the first half stoppage, not second time...

Usually stoppage time is 3 min, unless there is a penalty involved... US screwed Costa Rica... im not saying its a bad thing... im just saying they werent playing for anything... but acted like they were... and celebrated a tie at home... a game after they had already qualified... poor sportsmanship in my opinion...

you dont see anyone else that has been there before celebrating a tie at home that meant nothing... unless they all wanted to dedicate the tie to davies, which i could understand that logic...

There was about 5 minutes of time wasting in the 2nd half. Seriously, the Ticos were diving and rolling around like crazy.

Celebrated a tie at home? Poor sportsmanship? Give me a break. They celebrated winning the Hex outright. Yes, we had already qualified, but we hadn't won CONCACAF outright until last night. And doing that for Charlie I'm sure meant something to the players. Poor sportsmanship? No way.

Silock
10-15-2009, 03:35 PM
LOL at AC Milan

Heh... happens all the time to countries. This is a first for the US, though. At least, the first with such a high-profile club.

Silock
10-15-2009, 03:37 PM
WoodDraw - in all fairness, the national football association that is requiring the services of paid employee who is contracted by someone else, should be liable if he gets hurt while they provide services to the national team...

at least to some extent,

You have to realize that AC Milan will be footing the bill for medical expenses and such as well... not only the salary of the player... but the re coup process as well... (all to no fault of AC milan)

Countries usually pay for it. This happens with relative frequency.

Spicy McHaggis
10-15-2009, 04:09 PM
There was about 5 minutes of time wasting in the 2nd half. Seriously, the Ticos were diving and rolling around like crazy.

Celebrated a tie at home? Poor sportsmanship? Give me a break. They celebrated winning the Hex outright. Yes, we had already qualified, but we hadn't won CONCACAF outright until last night. And doing that for Charlie I'm sure meant something to the players. Poor sportsmanship? No way.

I agree with you on the sportsmanship issue. It was an emotional night for the US, winning CONCACAF and wanting to show well for Davies and for each other. Not to mention it was a last minute goal scored with 10 men. I liked seeing how the guys banded together.

I agree too that the US didn't screw Costa Rica. If you use the logic that by trying to win the game they did so, then by that same logic the US would've screw Honduras by not going all out for the result.

As for the game, I loved seeing Feilhaber and then Torres get some run. Paco especially has some great skill on the ball, I really like how he can open up play.

And Connor Casey was back to being Connor Casey.

carlos3652
10-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree with you on the sportsmanship issue. It was an emotional night for the US, winning CONCACAF and wanting to show well for Davies and for each other. Not to mention it was a last minute goal scored with 10 men. I liked seeing how the guys banded together.

I agree too that the US didn't screw Costa Rica. If you use the logic that by trying to win the game they did so, then by that same logic the US would've screw Honduras by not going all out for the result.

As for the game, I loved seeing Feilhaber and then Torres get some run. Paco especially has some great skill on the ball, I really like how he can open up play.

And Connor Casey was back to being Connor Casey.

I agree, with you guys, 1) i didnt watch the game as my sis in law gave birth and the argentina game was the only one i could get out of going to see her in the hospital and I had no idea the US played with 10 men...

With regards to winning it for Davies i also completely understand...

I guess when Argentina wins the hex, we dont celebrate that, we didnt win anything, the night we won and qualified is what we celebrate, then the other games are just experimental... win lose or tie, it really doesnt matter... for example, Brazil and Paraguay, already qualified... lost to Bolivia and then Venezuela tied (being the first point won in brazil for them)... and Paraguay losing to colombia... Argentina the last couple of aulaifiers goes into this game vs Uruguay and either loses and ties helping Uruguay get to the playoff... (this year it was different cause we sucked)

carlos3652
10-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Countries usually pay for it. This happens with relative frequency.

Right, i was just trying to explain it in easier terms...

carlos3652
10-15-2009, 04:51 PM

I agree with you too, i didnt watch the game and was unfair for me to judge, my mistake... :clap:

Spicy McHaggis
10-15-2009, 05:02 PM
I agree with you too, i didnt watch the game and was unfair for me to judge, my mistake... :clap:

No worries man, all our guys are through and in the end that's what you want.

I haven't seen Uruguay play at all. Do they play a typical South American style and how do you think they match up with the Ticos?

carlos3652
10-15-2009, 06:11 PM
No worries man, all our guys are through and in the end that's what you want.

I haven't seen Uruguay play at all. Do they play a typical South American style and how do you think they match up with the Ticos?

Uruguay is what it is... the 5th best team in South America for the last 12 years....

I think they can beat anyone on an given day... but, with that said... i would not bet on them either way, i dont think it will be a blow out easy win for Uruguay... they lost 4 starters for the game in CR... they will have 2 of them back for the game at home... CR wins at home, Uruguay wins at home... aggregate will decide... (unless the playoff is defined by ET and Penalties regardless of home/away results)

PS I think Uruguay can pull it through... i think our 5th best team in SA is better than anyone in NA other than Mexico and the US...

WoodDraw
10-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Uruguay is what it is... the 5th best team in South America for the last 12 years....

I think they can beat anyone on an given day... but, with that said... i would not bet on them either way, i dont think it will be a blow out easy win for Uruguay... they lost 4 starters for the game in CR... they will have 2 of them back for the game at home... CR wins at home, Uruguay wins at home... aggregate will decide... (unless the playoff is defined by ET and Penalties regardless of home/away results)

PS I think Uruguay can pull it through... i think our 5th best team in SA is better than anyone in NA other than Mexico and the US...

I agree that aggregate will decide. I wish someone would buy up the US rights for the game. Those will be a fun two games to watch. I hate Costa Rica, but I guess I have to "cheer" for the CONCACAF team. I don't know a thing about Uruguay either.

Now we enter the depressing period of soccer until the WC. And here's the problem with not caring much about your country's first division soccer.

WoodDraw
10-15-2009, 06:56 PM

at least to some extent,

Should be maybe, but they aren't. The club has responsibility for securing insurance for all club players on national team duty on FIFA dates. And that's for a reason. Milan, or whoever, buys up all the best players from the world and then wants their home federation to eat their injury costs? FIFA rightly wants to protect international soccer play from a select group of powerful teams that don't want it. Do we want to get to the point where small countries can no longer call in their best players because they can't afford to?

Fuck that.

Italian soccer sucks though. Did anyone not expect Milan to whine here? They're still stuck in the past where FIFA cared about what Serie A said. The only positive that could possibly come out of Gooch's injury is watching the Milan cluster fuck bitch about how unfair FIFA is.

carlos3652
10-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Now we enter the depressing period of soccer until the WC. And here's the problem with not caring much about your country's first division soccer.

Nov 14th and 18th are going to be fun... only 4 qualify from euro:

Group 1
France
Russia
Portugal
Greece

will face

Group 2
The Republic of Ireland
Bosnia Herzegovina
Ukraine.
Slovenia

New Zealand (0-0) in Bahrain
Bahrain

Costa Rica
Uruguay

WoodDraw
10-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Nov 14th and 18th are going to be fun... only 4 qualify from euro:

Group 1
France
Russia
Portugal
Greece

will face

Group 2
The Republic of Ireland
Bosnia Herzegovina
Ukraine.
Slovenia

New Zealand (0-0) in Bahrain
Bahrain

Costa Rica
Uruguay

Out of that group 2, who would you least like to face? I hope we'll see some exciting matches. As a soccer fan you want the best teams in, but with the US facing another group of death, we need some upsets.

We'll have good friendlies on those dates for everyone too. Who's Argentina looking at? Probably a bit early for you guys to have anything planned. Denmark on the 18th and some other Euro team on the 14th should be a good test for us. Will be interesting to see who gets called in for those games.

carlos3652
10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Out of that group 2, who would you least like to face? I hope we'll see some exciting matches. As a soccer fan you want the best teams in, but with the US facing another group of death, we need some upsets.

We'll have good friendlies on those dates for everyone too. Who's Argentina looking at? Probably a bit early for you guys to have anything planned. Denmark on the 18th and some other Euro team on the 14th should be a good test for us. Will be interesting to see who gets called in for those games.

Spain on the 14th in Madrid, and Nigeria in london on the 18th...

Silock
10-16-2009, 02:11 AM

NP :)

Silock
10-16-2009, 02:12 AM
I guess when Argentina wins the hex, we dont celebrate that, we didnt win anything, the night we won and qualified is what we celebrate, then the other games are just experimental... win lose or tie, it really doesnt matter... for example, Brazil and Paraguay, already qualified... lost to Bolivia and then Venezuela tied (being the first point won in brazil for them)... and Paraguay losing to colombia... Argentina the last couple of aulaifiers goes into this game vs Uruguay and either loses and ties helping Uruguay get to the playoff... (this year it was different cause we sucked)

Yeah. I mean, there's still an infinitesimally small chance of getting a seed, so winning the confederation outright may have been a big deal to the players, as well. I'm not sure.

But hey, we're no Argentina. We gotta take what we can get :)

Silock
10-16-2009, 02:15 AM
LOL @ Maradona's comments

"Suck it. All of you."

That's fucking hilarious!

carlos3652
10-16-2009, 06:35 AM
LOL @ Maradona's comments

"Suck it. All of you."

That's fucking hilarious!

He went off on the reporters after tha game in his press conference... He said thank you to the fans and his players... And then he gave a big f u to the reporters who doubted him and the team...

The team after the wistle vs uruguay was chanting "es para vos, es para vos, Los periodistas, la puta que Los pario" - very classless towards the reporters, but who can blame them... They called the players heartless and not caring because they make millions of dollars and the don't bleed their nationality... Stuff I don't agree with either....

But maradona in his international pc said to the reported verbatim... Escuse me ladies for sounding vulgar but reporters can suck my cock... And keep sucking it... I don't forget about all the crap you guys write....

Silock
10-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I was laughing my ass off. I'm not saying he deserved EVERYTHING the media said, but he deserved some of it.

What a clusterfuck. At least you guys qualified.

carlos3652
10-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah. I mean, there's still an infinitesimally small chance of getting a seed, so winning the confederation outright may have been a big deal to the players, as well. I'm not sure.

But hey, we're no Argentina. We gotta take what we can get :)

Just looked at the current seeding... USA is still a ways off, Shoot Portugal and France have a shot if they qualify...

Netherlands is considered a pool 2 team... so im guessing any team with netherlands, a pool 1 opponent and a good South american team (Chile/Paraguay)

Bt the way, in the pool b of the european playoff, i would not like to face Ukraine...

Silock
10-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Yeah, a bunch of really unlikely things have to happen for us to get a seed. It's pretty safe to say that we won't be getting one.

It doesn't really matter what group we get. We ARE the group of death.

carlos3652
10-16-2009, 06:36 PM
2002 was tough for Argentina - England (lost by a pk that beckham took) Sweden (won the group) and Nigeria (Olympic champs in 2000) we didn't make it through to the second round ... 4 points wasn't enough...
Posted via Mobile Device

carlos3652
10-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Also, the seeding as of today that includes the us winning the concacaf - Mexico is still ahead of the us... Netherlands would get it prior to Mexico though... The only way netherlands gets it is if Portugal and France both lose their playoffs... USA as of today has a 0 chance, but has a better chance for 2014...
Posted via Mobile Device

WoodDraw
10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Also, the seeding as of today that includes the us winning the concacaf - Mexico is still ahead of the us... Netherlands would get it prior to Mexico though... The only way netherlands gets it is if Portugal and France both lose their playoffs... USA as of today has a 0 chance, but has a better chance for 2014...
Posted via Mobile Device

Has FIFA even decided how to seed yet? It seems every year they throw a new formula together.

carlos3652
10-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Sorry I should have clarified... Using the same formula that was used in 2006... If they throw something new in it, I'm not sure what the result would be...
Posted via Mobile Device

WoodDraw
10-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Sorry I should have clarified... Using the same formula that was used in 2006... If they throw something new in it, I'm not sure what the result would be...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I don't have any idea. Apparently the USSF is trying to get them to put the Confed Cup rankings into the mix to give more weight to FIFA tournaments. And knowing FIFA, I'm sure they'd love that idea. But we're pretty unbiased here in the USSF, ya know... :D

carlos3652
10-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I don't have any idea. Apparently the USSF is trying to get them to put the Confed Cup rankings into the mix to give more weight to FIFA tournaments. And knowing FIFA, I'm sure they'd love that idea. But we're pretty unbiased here in the USSF, ya know... :D

haha....

Silock
10-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah. Blatter was talking about having every team be seeded, so that in addition to the 1 seeds, there would be a 2, 3 and 4. That would definitely help us out, as it would even the groups out a lot better.

Spicy McHaggis
11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Troy Perkins (Valerenga, Norway)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), Clarence Goodson (IK Start, Norway), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus), Chad Marshall (Columbus), Heath Pearce (Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England)

Midfielders: Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus, Denmark), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (Dallas), Robbie Rogers (Columbus)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Hull, England), Conor Casey (Colorado), Jeff Cunningham (Dallas, England), Eddie Johnson (Fulham).

----

Some definite surprises in there with the likes of Dax McCarty, Cunningham and EJ. Cunningham is a bit old for my liking but has been tearing up the MLS of late. We'll see firsthand of EJ has grown up at all (hey, it could happen). I've only seen Dax at the junior level but hopefully he'll get on as a sub.

I suspect we'll see the Mexican league players (Torres and Castillo, who has looked good at midfield) against Denmark.

Also, Liverpool continues to kick me straight in the groin. If I hear the words "torn hamstring" during a Reds game again, I'm going to lose it.

Demonpenz
11-10-2009, 12:31 PM
yes jimmy conrad!

WoodDraw
11-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I have a weird sports crush in hoping Conrad and Hejduk both make the WC roster. That might say more about our defensive strength than anything, but they've always been two of my favorite US players.

Also, I'm going to England/Europe this late December and early January like I said before. The only match I'm officially seeing is Arsenal v. Everton, which will be fun with Howard in goal plus Arsenal. Any tips for Emirates stadium?

Param
11-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Anyone watching?

France vs Ireland
0-0
45 minute

Param
11-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Portugal vs Bosnia
0-0

around 24 minute

Wa-Z
11-18-2009, 07:21 PM
This play, in overtime, will keep Ireland out of the World Cup and allowed France to cheat their way in...hmmmmmmm...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eRWjzBC58dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eRWjzBC58dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Stinger
11-19-2009, 07:22 AM
This play, in overtime, will keep Ireland out of the World Cup and allowed France to cheat their way in...hmmmmmmm...

Hand of God pt.2 so to speak. Sucks for Ireland......to be put out of the WC that way.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iVxJbMTIzTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iVxJbMTIzTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

For those too young to remember the original.... "Hand of God" play

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0zjx4MAHzk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0zjx4MAHzk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Irish Demand Replay With France
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 8:58 a.m. ET

DUBLIN (AP) -- Ireland appealed to France and soccer authorities Thursday to replay their World Cup playoff in Paris after an obvious handball by Thierry Henry produced the winning goal.

Ireland's government and opposition leaders united in demands for Wednesday's 1-1 draw in France to be replayed, and the country's soccer federation said it is considering a protest.

In extra time, Henry twice handled the ball to prevent it going out of play, then passed to William Gallas in the Irish box for the deciding goal.

France advanced to next year's World Cup finals in South Africa with a 2-1 aggregate score. At the time of Henry's unpunished handball, the match was 17 minutes from reaching a penalty shootout.

''If that result remains, it reinforces the view that if you cheat you will win,'' said Irish Justice Minister Dermot Ahern -- who also pointed out that two French players appeared to be offsides on a free kick that preceded the goal.

''Millions of people worldwide saw it was a blatant double handball, not to mention a double offside,'' Ahern said. ''We should put the powers that be in the cozy world of FIFA on the spot and demand a replay.''

The Football Association of Ireland said it was still mulling whether to protest. But Irish assistant manager Liam Brady and several players appealed to France's sense of honor.

''If the game's going to survive, it's got to be an equal playing field,'' Brady said. ''If we're going to have integrity and dignity in the world game, the game should be replayed. And we'll go to Paris to play it.''

Some Irish players accused Henry of lying when he told them that his handball had been accidental and instinctive, and criticized Swedish referee Martin Hansson for missing the infraction.

Irish left back Kevin Kilbane said replays showed conclusively that Henry ''handballed it once and it's still going out of play, so he's handled it again to make sure it doesn't go out of play. ... I asked him on the pitch: Did you handball it? And he said, 'Yes -- but I didn't mean it.'''

Kilbane said he also asked Hansson after the final whistle if he had seen the incident.

''He said: 'I can 100 percent say it wasn't handball.' When he said that to me, I knew full well that he was just lying to me because he hadn't even seen it.''

Irish lawmaker Joe McHugh said France should follow the 1999 precedent set by Arsenal's French manager, Arsene Wenger, who volunteered to replay a match in England's FA Cup after Arsenal won on an unfair goal.

''Throughout the country today there is an air of bitterness. We were beaten unfairly and there is general disgust in France too,'' McHugh said. ''Friends of mine who attended last night's game phoned me this morning from a cafe in Paris to report that the French people are ashamed and do not regard this as an honest victory.''

Several Irish players were in tears after Wednesday's match and rued their own missed scoring chances after outplaying France for much of the night.

''We got robbed. ... We feel cheated. We were the better team,'' said Irish defender Sean St. Ledger.

Ahern said he doubted that soccer's world governing body FIFA would sanction a replay. He reflected the widespread Irish view that the sport's powers were biased in favor of ensuring France's qualification.

''They probably won't grant it as we are minnows in world football,'' Ahern said, ''but let's put them on the spot anyway.''

carlos3652
11-19-2009, 09:02 AM
wow

carlos3652
11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
for the record, that put Argentina 1-0 vs England... the next goal in that game is one of the best goals in the history of WC's to put us up 2-0...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuVPa2V1m4M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuVPa2V1m4M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

loochy
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Don't forget this one.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbBGDrbsvw8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbBGDrbsvw8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It looks like Messi taught his cule whore teammate Henry a thing or two...

Silock
11-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I have a weird sports crush in hoping Conrad and Hejduk both make the WC roster. That might say more about our defensive strength than anything, but they've always been two of my favorite US players.

I hope to God we never see them in a US uniform again.

TOO OLD.

carlos3652
11-19-2009, 05:37 PM
imitation is the best form of flattery right....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hIep5g_GeSQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hIep5g_GeSQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Spicy McHaggis
11-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Don't agree with all his points, but Jimmy's column makes for an interesting read.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=702921&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

Stinger
12-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Ireland asks for World Cup place after France handball

November 30, 2009

JOHANNESBURG – Ireland has asked FIFA to be allowed into the World Cup as an extra team after Thierry Henry's handball helped France eliminate the Irish in a playoff.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter says that the Irish have written to soccer's world governing body asking to be let into the 2010 tournament in South Africa because of Henry's handball.

Henry handled the ball before setting up William Gallas for the tying goal Nov. 18 that put France into the World Cup at the expense of Ireland.

FIFA has already rejected a call by the Irish for a replay.

Blatter told a conference in Johannesburg that the Irish asked: "Can we be team No. 33 at the World Cup?"

FIFA will discuss the request at a meeting of its executive committee Wednesday.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/732493--ireland-asks-for-world-cup-place-after-france-handball

==============================================================

Also FIFA seems to be overreacting to the Ireland handball episode

Blatter says FIFA to discuss extra refs for WCup

JOHANNESBURG (AP) - Soccer's governing body will consider having extra officials on the field to help referees at next year's World Cup.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter says Thierry Henry's hand ball against Ireland, which led to the goal that put France in next year's tournament, showed referees need assistance.

"There is a lack of discipline and respect in the game by the players because they are cheating," Blatter said Monday, two days before an emergency meeting of the FIFA executive committee in Cape Town before the World Cup draw.

"We have only one man on the field of play who shall intervene in this matter. He has two assistants for the time being, perhaps more in the future. He has to make an immediate decision. He has only two eyes. So match control is now is on the agenda. How shall we avoid such situations as we have seen in this very specific match?"

Irish soccer authorities, denied a request for a replay, asked FIFA that it be allowed to go to the World Cup as a 33rd team. They also urged FIFA to introduce extra officials and goal-line video replay technology for international games.

As an experiment in the Europa League, UEFA uses five officials, one at each end of the field, to help the referee settle disputes in the penalty area, including whether the ball has crossed the line.

Blatter opposes video replay to determine calls. Any changes must be approved by the International Football Association Board, the sport's rules-making body.

"With technology, you have to stop a match. You have a look at cameras," Blatter said. "We have to maintain the human face of football and not go into technology."

Blatter said the World Cup playoffs led to several disputes that will be discussed at the executive committee meeting. There is concern about the two-leg format, in which the team playing the second leg at home appears to have an advantage. Blatter thinks one game at a neutral ground is sufficient.

He also said Costa Rica complained to FIFA that a goal in Uruguay's playoff win was offside.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091130/AP0410/311309899/-1/sports09

Silock
12-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Extra refs are needed badly. I agree with that.

KCtotheSB
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I truly do feel bad for Ireland and it's a damn shame that crap in Paris was allowed to stand. However, they need to give it up. FIFA isn't making any special considerations for them and if they DID, that's opening up a whole can of worms for every other country that felt got the shaft during qualifying.

cj2wr
12-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't post much but idk if this has been talked about. This website bye axe soccer is having drawings weekly and giving out a grand prize for a trip to south africa for the world cup this summer.. its free to register. I already won a soccer ball. check it out.

axesoccer.com

carlos3652
12-04-2009, 09:41 AM
anyone watching the draw, or listening to it, i need updates, it starts in 20 min...

Pot 1 (Host & Top seven) Pot 2 (Asia, North America & Oceania) Pot 3 (Africa & South America) Pot 4 (Europe)

South Africa
Brazil
Spain
Netherlands
Italy
Germany
Argentina
England

Australia
Japan
Korea DPR
Korea Republic
Honduras
Mexico
United States
New Zealand

Algeria
Cameroon
Côte d'Ivoire
Ghana
Nigeria
Chile
Paraguay
Uruguay

Denmark
France
Greece
Portugal
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Switzerland

Shag
12-04-2009, 11:11 AM
USA in group C with England, playing England first game...

Great Expectations
12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Mexico w/ the great draw.

Wa-Z
12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Mexico lucked out, being drawn for South Africa's group who is an automatic top seed since they are the host country...USA got drawn into England's group..

cj2wr
12-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Got Algeria too in our group

Shag
12-04-2009, 11:23 AM
And Slovenia.

Group C:

England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia

Ultra Peanut
12-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Oh em eff gee.

That's possibly the best draw the US can and will ever get.

Baby Lee
12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Oh em eff gee.

She's not deaded!!!!

Tell us, when you were heading for the light, did you see Mr. Blonde?

Great Expectations
12-04-2009, 11:27 AM
France gets the last seed as best team in group A.

Ultra Peanut
12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
She's not deaded!!!!

Tell us, when you were heading for the light, did you see Mr. Blonde?I did! For some reason, he was carrying a pinup of Rita Hayworth.

the Talking Can
12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8391833.stm

you can listen to english callers discussing the draw

Willie Lanier
12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
thats about as much of a cake walk we could have asked for, there is no way we don't move on with the Brits. Can't help but feel sorry for Ivory Coast, I was kinda rooting for them, its gonna be tough against Brazil and Portugal

Mecca
12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I think I'm enjoying this because Charlize Theron is on it.

Silock
12-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Holy fuck. We got SOOOO lucky with this draw. I'm ecstatic.

Brazil Portugal group is fucking crazy.

|Zach|
12-04-2009, 11:54 AM
So group stage...top 2 go on? Or 1. I can't remember.

carlos3652
12-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Drogba is going to kill portugal - ivory coast will move on with brazil... USA vs Germany in the second round looks brutal...
Posted via Mobile Device

KCtotheSB
12-04-2009, 11:56 AM
North Korea is up a shit creek without a paddle.
I think Group D is your "Group of Death" with Germany, Australia, Ghana and Serbia. Germany might take top spot, but it won't be easy and second place is going to be a fight.

As for the U.S, England, Algeria and Slovenia is about as good a group as you could hope for. At the very least, the U.S should place second in that grouping.

|Zach|
12-04-2009, 11:57 AM
North Korea is up a shit creek without a paddle.
I think Group D is your "Group of Death" with Germany, Australia, Ghana and Serbia. Germany might take top spot, but it won't be easy and second place is going to be a fight.

As for the U.S, England, Algeria and Slovenia is about as good a group as you could hope for. At the very least, the U.S should place second in that grouping.

Potugal, Brazil, Ivory Coast and New Zealand. Group of Death.

Willie Lanier
12-04-2009, 11:59 AM
So group stage...top 2 go on? Or 1. I can't remember.

top 2 go on, then top from group A plays 2nd from group B, top from group B plays 2nd from group A, top from group C plays 2nd from group D and so on. From there its essentially single elimination

Jerm
12-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Great draw for us...couldn't have gone much better. Glad we're playing England first, better to get it out of the way first.

Also love that Mexico got a bad draw...I can very easily see them not progressing. France is France and SA will be pumped at home and Uruguay is no pushover.

North Korea got fucked hard lol...ah well, take that Kim Jong.

MOhillbilly
12-04-2009, 12:01 PM
the serbian & german firms will be killing each other in the streets....fuck that shit. Serb firms are HARD as fuck.

big nasty kcnut
12-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm hopeful for the us to win this group and england second.

Jerm
the serbian & german firms will be killing each other in the streets....**** that shit. Serb firms are HARD as ****.

No shit, would hate to be the police when that match takes place.

The streets will be a fucking warzone.

Willie Lanier
Potugal, Brazil, Ivory Coast and Korea. Group of Death.

FYP

carlos3652
12-04-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm hopeful for the us to win this group and england second.

You'd better considering you would face germany if not
Posted via Mobile Device

carlos3652
12-04-2009, 12:06 PM
FYP

I agree portugal or ivory coast will be the odd man out....
Posted via Mobile Device

carlos3652
12-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Great draw for us...couldn't have gone much better. Glad we're playing England first, better to get it out of the way first.

Also love that Mexico got a bad draw...I can very easily see them not progressing. France is France and SA will be pumped at home and Uruguay is no pushover.

North Korea got fucked hard lol...ah well, take that Kim Jong.

Uruguay will not beat south africa at home... Mexico should at least tie vs them as well... I see Mexico and France moving on this group.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jerm
12-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Uruguay will not beat south africa at home... Mexico should at least tie vs them as well... I see Mexico and France moving on this group.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think Mexico or Uruguay will beat them at home TBH.

Buck
12-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I love how FIFA gave N. Korea a big fuck you.

Kim Jong Il is probably livid.

Param
12-04-2009, 01:04 PM
England & Slovenia will come out of group C. That's my prediction.

Param
12-04-2009, 01:18 PM
France gets the last seed as best team in group A.

I think France will go pretty far in this tournament.

big nasty kcnut
12-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm calling my shot now us will win their group.

SPATCH
12-04-2009, 01:58 PM
England & Slovenia will come out of group C. That's my prediction.

get out

Param
12-04-2009, 04:20 PM
get out

ROFL

Tim Howard better save the day or you're going to go down in flames.

WoodDraw
12-04-2009, 04:35 PM
What a draw. Couldn't have hoped for a better one. That first game will be incredible.

WoodDraw
12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Something I just realized - our WC jersey this year is based off the one from 1950. Talk about a coincidence, eh? Someone at Nike deserves a raise for that one.

SPATCH
12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
ROFL

Tim Howard better save the day or you're going to go down in flames.

yeah... because the mighty footballing nations of algeria and slovenia strike fear into the hearts their opposition...

we are quaking in fear.

Param
12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
yeah... because the mighty footballing nations of algeria and slovenia strike fear into the hearts their opposition...

we are quaking in fear.

Don't worry Slovenia will end your hopes. It's ok brah.

Spicy McHaggis
12-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Oh em eff gee.

I had a hunch you would show up for this.

Yesterday I jokingly told my dad if the US got a group of South Africa, Algeria and Slovenia I'd buy the beer for the whole tourney. Then the Yanks get a draw almost as good and I get to keep the $$$. Amazing, simply amazing.

In other USMNT news we meet actually catch some good luck on the injury front (knock on wood). Jermaine Jones is back and doing some light training with Schalke and Maurice Edu trained with the club this past week as well. DeMerit looks to be back sooner than expected.

Do we even dare for Gooch and Chuck Deez?

Spicy McHaggis
12-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Could we finally see Dempsey starting up top? Quote from Bob Bradley after the draw:

"We're always trying to build our team in different ways," the coach said. "Last summer we thought was a good time to take a look at Charlie Davies. That type of thinking always continues with different players. In the Confederations Cup when we played, late in the game Clint Dempsey would move up front. He's played recently with Fulham up front."

With the emergence of Stu Holden on the wing, it's a move that the US has to consider.

Ultra Peanut
12-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I had a hunch you would show up for this.

Yesterday I jokingly told my dad if the US got a group of South Africa, Algeria and Slovenia I'd buy the beer for the whole tourney. Then the Yanks get a draw almost as good and I get to keep the $$$. Amazing, simply amazing.

In other USMNT news we meet actually catch some good luck on the injury front (knock on wood). Jermaine Jones is back and doing some light training with Schalke and Maurice Edu trained with the club this past week as well. DeMerit looks to be back sooner than expected.

Do we even dare for Gooch and Chuck Deez?Gooch will be ready to go in 2-3 months, and Davies is apparently not human and expects to be rehabbing with Sochaux by the end of February.

CHENZ A!
12-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Gooch will be ready to go in 2-3 months, and Davies is apparently not human and expects to be rehabbing with Sochaux by the end of February.

Seriously? That is great news, but I am skeptical that they can be the same players they were before their injuries. (For the cup I mean)

CHENZ A!
12-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a picture of the jerseys that we will be wearing for the WC? They're going with throwbacks?

Spicy McHaggis
12-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Apparently this is what we've got going on jersey-wise. I like our current white kits but wouldn't mind the "grey" shirts being replaced.

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/usa-world-cup-2010-home-jersey-leaked-photo/7152

CHENZ A!
12-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Apparently this is what we've got going on jersey-wise. To be honest, I like our current white kits but wouldn't mind the "grey" shirts being replaced.

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/usa-world-cup-2010-home-jersey-leaked-photo/7152

Thanks man! No doubt, I think I current ones are baller. This one with the sash will take some getting used to. I really want to buy a jersey though. Probably of Altidore, because he's the youngest and should be around for awhile hopefully.

WoodDraw
12-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks man! No doubt, I think I current ones are baller. This one with the sash will take some getting used to. I really want to buy a jersey though. Probably of Altidore, because he's the youngest and should be around for awhile hopefully.

The blue and red ones are awesome, IMO. I'm not crazy about the home one.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about though, I was referring to the 1950 "Miracle on Grass" game when we beat England 1-0 at the World Cup. The jerseys we wore that year are the inspiration for the 2010 WC series the US will wear. And since we're playing England in the first game...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/18/article-0-003C433700000258-925_306x325.jpg

Spicy McHaggis
12-05-2009, 11:25 PM
The jerseys we wore that year are the inspiration for the 2010 WC series the US will wear. And since we're playing England in the first game...

To be honest, the new kits grew on me exponentially after the draw fell into place. If only fate holds true...