PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Obama spraks international controversey

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:01 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1192872/Guantanamo-4-hit-shops-day-freedom.html

U.S. accused of 'riding roughshod' over UK as Guantanamo detainees are sent to Bermuda in secret deal
But Washington insists deal was kept from London in an effort to protect UK's relationship with China huh?
Bermudian opposition tables no confidence motion in Prime Minister as deal ignites political firestorm on the island
PM admits he may not have agreed to take detainees in had he known the controversy it would cause
EU agrees to take in detainees

Way to ****ing go Barry.....now you think you can just run the world, heh?

KC Dan
06-15-2009, 03:04 PM
You know this isn't newsworthy. Only the Iranian protests. This should not be in the news. Iran 24x7 only.

jiveturkey
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
This seems like a weird deal. I don't understand their thinking with regards to the detainee issue.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
You know this isn't newsworthy. Only the Iranian protests. This should not be in the news. Iran 24x7 only.

The timing of this little operation is rather curious, to say the least.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:10 PM
It should be noted that these men have LONG been cleared of ANYthing, including any danger whatsoever. They are 100% innocent and deserve to be 100% free whereever they want like the rest of us.

So the firestorm by whomever about whatever seems like kabuki theatre to me. Why should anybody give a shit about totally innocent people being sent to their shores?

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
It should be noted that these men have LONG been cleared of ANYthing, including any danger whatsoever. They are 100% innocent and deserve to be 100% free whereever they want like the rest of us.

So the firestorm by whomever about whatever seems like kabuki theatre to me. Why should anybody give a shit about totally innocent people being sent to their shores?

LMAO you are such a suck up. Obama can do no wrong in your eyes at all can he? If this was such non-deal why was it done in secret?

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
They encountered a fisherman while walking along the beach and became curious about the art of fishing, their lawyer said.

The man offered to teach them, and one of the former prisoners, Khelil Mamut, tossed a line into the ocean. He caught a 10-inch fish to the cheers of the other men, she said.

Government liaison Glenn Brangman later took them swimming and watched as they climbed the rocks and jumped into the ocean like he did as a boy.

'Normally Bermudians test the temperature of the water,' he said. 'But they just went to the edge and jumped straight in.'

Yeah petez28, these guys are destined to become a menace.

A restaurant? They plan to poison us with Uighur waffles!

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM
If this was such non-deal why was it done in secret?

I have no fucking clue. I would have done it in broad daylight.

I would have reported openly to the world that the United States is transferring innocent men from a legal limboesque prison to the free world. Bermuda, anywhere.

They deserve it.

orange
06-15-2009, 03:15 PM
The "firestorm" is about Bermuda acting without informing their English masters overlords partners:

Bermuda blamed

Britain, meanwhile, has expressed anger that it was not consulted, saying in a Foreign Office statement: "The Bermuda government consider this to be a matter regarding their day-to-day responsibility for immigration.

"We have underlined to the Bermuda government that it should have consulted the UK on whether this falls within their competence or is a foreign affairs or security issue for which the Bermuda government do not have delegated responsibility."

For the time being London has reserved its expressions of ire for Bermuda, with a spokesman for the UK prime minister insisting Bermuda bore "the primary responsibility for ensuring that the constitutional requirements on the Bermudan government were adhered to".

Britain is supposed to handle Bermuda's defence, security and foreign affairs, but it delegates the authority to make decisions on immigration to Bermuda.

The Foreign Office said it would "also be looking at the operation of the 'General Entrustment' which gives Bermuda the authority to conduct certain external relations on our behalf".

Britain is also now helping Bermuda carry out a security assessment of the resettled detainees.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8098341.stm

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
It's also a firestorm because people are emotional rather than logical about it.

THESE MEN WERE AND ARE INNOCENT.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:18 PM
I have no ****ing clue. I would have done it in broad daylight.

I would have reported openly to the world that the United States is transferring innocent men from a legal limboesque prison to the free world. Bermuda, anywhere.

They deserve it.

Yea well Barry didn't go about it that way, did he? He pissed off a lot of people. I know, you don't give a shit cause it was Obama. If Bush had done this you would be ripping him left and right.

orange
LMAO you are such a suck up. Obama can do no wrong in your eyes at all can he? If this was such non-deal why was it done in secret?

It was handled in secret so the Chinese wouldn't put pressure on the UK to stop it.

China has insisted the Uighurs be returned to China for imprisonment.

petegz28
It's also a firestorm because people are emotional rather than logical about it.

THESE MEN WERE AND ARE INNOCENT.

Then why did he not release them in our country?

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Then why did he not release them in our country?

Because he'd get slaughtered politically.

Because people are emotional about it rather than logical.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
It was handled in secret so the Chinese wouldn't put pressure on the UK to stop it.

China has insisted the Uighurs be returned to China for imprisonment.

And this makes it better somehow?

So you tell them no. Which is essentially what we did.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Because he'd get slaughtered politically.

Because people are emotional about it rather than logical.

So then pass the buck of your decision onto someone else......you truly are a fucking Lefty. You jsut proved my point and don't even realize it I am sure.

orange
06-15-2009, 03:21 PM
And this makes it better somehow?

So you tell them no. Which is essentially what we did.

Right. But this gives the British diplomatic cover. They couldn't have stopped it because they didn't know about it. So China's issue remains with the U.S. where it already was.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Yea well Barry didn't go about it that way, did he? He pissed off a lot of people.

No matter WHAT he does with the detainees, he's going to piss off a lot of people. Guantanamo is a MESS that WILL make a very large number of people angry.

I'm not concerned about him pissing off a bunch of people over non-issues. I'm concerned about him doing the right thing.

Do you contend AT ALL that this was wrong? Far as I see it you're just upset with methodology.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
So then pass the buck of your decision onto someone else......you truly are a ****ing Lefty. You jsut proved my point and don't even realize it I am sure.

I... what?

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Right. But this gives the British diplomatic cover. They couldn't have stopped it because they didn't know about it. So China's issue remains with the U.S. where it already was.

Then why didn't we release them into our country? Seems the problem is now going to be with Bermuda, the EU and UK for not returning them to China.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
No matter WHAT he does with the detainees, he's going to piss off a lot of people. Guantanamo is a MESS that WILL make a very large number of people angry.

I'm not concerned about him pissing off a bunch of people over non-issues. I'm concerned about him doing the right thing.

Do you contend AT ALL that this was wrong? Far as I see it you're just upset with methodology.

You give him a free pass on any and everything he does cause you are a suck up. The way he went about it was wrong.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Then why didn't we release them into our country? Seems the problem is now going to be with Bermuda, the EU and UK for not returning them to China.

Not if the big bad US doesn't let them do what they want "against their will."

orange
06-15-2009, 03:24 PM

There are too many prisoners who will be released. There's no way that letting them all into the U.S. would ever work. There may not be a way to release any of them here practically.

The administration is trying to spread them around to whoever will take them. This is just one batch of many.

orange
06-15-2009, 03:26 PM

You know, this wasn't just "Obama sez..." Bermuda ACCEPTED them.

memyselfI
It's Clinton's fault...

worked for the CONS so the DEMS might as well try it. ROFL

Direckshun
You give him a free pass on any and everything he does cause you are a suck up. The way he went about it was wrong.

And there it is. Thread over.

It came with a personal attack of course, but petegz28 has just admitted that there is NOTHING wrong with transfering free, innocent men to Bermuda, except for how it was done.

So in response to the story that Obama has finally authorized the release and freedom of innocent men who had squandered years of their life inside Guantanamo Bay, and they are able to get a second lease on life which includes safety from the Chinese and perhaps opening the world's first Uighur restaurant...

...and YOUR response to all this is that he didn't do it NICELY enough.

And *I'm* the partisan hack.

You've been exposed.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
And there it is. Thread over.

It came with a personal attack of course, but petegz28 has just admitted that there is NOTHING wrong with transfering free, innocent men to Bermuda, except for how it was done.

So in response to the story that Obama has finally authorized the release and freedom of innocent men who had squandered years of their life inside Guantanamo Bay, and they are able to get a second lease on life which includes safety from the Chinese and perhaps opening the world's first Uighur restaurant...

And *I'm* the partisan hack.

You've been exposed.

Whetever you need to tell yourself. You are the one crying cause the world is moving on despite Iran and here you are excusing Obama for pissing off other countries. Like I said, if this had been Bush you would be irate about this.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM
What do we say about cornered animals on ChiefsPlanet, guys?

Whetever you need to tell yourself.
Dismissive non-reply...

You are the one crying cause the world is moving on despite Iran
...irrelevant non-point...

and here you are excusing Obama for pissing off other countries.
...ignorant reassertion of a point I already addressed...

Like I said, if this had been Bush you would be irate about this.
...and irrelevant non-point.

I should write a fucking book.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
What do we say about cornered animals on ChiefsPlanet, guys?

Dismissive non-reply...

...irrelevant non-point...

...ignorant reassertion of a point I already addressed...

...and irrelevant non-point.

I should write a ****ing book.

Well when everyone sees you as more moderate in your takes all this might have a little bit of meaning. Until then, you are just dodging the fact that Obama is your hero and you will give him a free pass on anything.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Well when everyone sees you as more moderate in your takes all this might have a little bit of meaning. Until then, you are just dodging the fact that Obama is your hero and you will give him a free pass on anything.

Well now we're waaaaaay off topic. ROFL

But I don't give a shit where people see me on the ideological spectrum. I'm a liberal Democrat, and if that alone discredits me than that's the bug up YOUR ass, not mine.

Obama is a hero of mine, by the way. Guy came from fucking nothing to become the first black President. If that's not inspiring to you than we just come from two different parts of the universe.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Pot, meet kettle.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Pot, meet kettle.

And that is pure bullshit. I am actually one of the few on here who slams both sides. Once again you have no fucking clue.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Well now we're waaaaaay off topic. ROFL

But I don't give a shit where people see me on the ideological spectrum. I'm a liberal Democrat, and if that alone discredits me than that's the bug up YOUR ass, not mine.

Obama is a hero of mine, by the way. Guy came from ****ing nothing to become the first black President. If that's not inspiring to you than we just come from two different parts of the universe.

I should be inspired because in this day and age a black person was elected Presdient? Maybe I don't worry about race as much as some of you on the Left? People are people, I can care less what the color of their skin is.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
And that is pure bullshit. I am actually one of the few on here who slams both sides.

That doesn't mean you're not full of shit.

You put waaaaaay too much emphasis on ideological score-keeping and not nearly enough emphasis on what's actually being discussed here.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 04:14 PM
That doesn't mean you're not full of shit.

You put waaaaaay too much emphasis on ideological score-keeping and not nearly enough emphasis on what's actually being discussed here.

No, I just call out people like you who excuse everything "your guy" does. Particularly when it is something you would very well slam the "other guy" for.

You are the one who ignores topic cause you are blinded by your love for Obama. He does no wrong in your eyes ever regardless of what the issue is.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 04:22 PM
You are the one who ignores topic cause you are blinded by your love for Obama.

Oh, well, hey. Here I was thinking you were ignoring the topic by veering off subject in personal attacks. But apparently it's me.

Great. So let's get an on-topic answer from you to this reply that you have yet to answer with anything other than a personal attack:

petegz28 has just admitted that there is NOTHING wrong with transfering free, innocent men to Bermuda, except for how it was done.

What about this post is wrong?

petegz28
06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Oh, well, hey. Here I was thinking you were ignoring the topic by veering off subject in personal attacks. But apparently it's me.

Great. So let's get an on-topic answer from you to this reply that you have yet to answer with anything other than a personal attack:

What about this post is wrong?

Did Obama piss people off? Yes. Did it have to be done in secret? No. Are you going to ignore these facts? Yes.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Did Obama piss people off? Yes. Did it have to be done in secret? No.

But you see, that's the issue here. The anger created in this is based on emotions, anyway, not logic. Who would logically complain about innocent, free men being sent to their shores, far from the prison they were wrongly holed up in and a country that wants to wipe them off the map?

I can't help that these people are reacting in emotionally-charged ways.

But we're freeing men who have been wrongly imprisoned for seven years. And we're doing it with international cooperation as well as some international disapproval.

It didn't have to be done in secret but was done so for political purposes. I've already replied and acknowledged that. I hope you can acknowledge that the disapproval to this is based largely in emotional, baseless fear. And that it doesn't really matter compared to the act of freeing four wrongly imprisoned men who never had a day in court.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 04:37 PM
But you see, that's the issue here. The anger created in this is based on emotions, anyway, not logic. Who would logically complain about innocent, free men being sent to their shores, far from the prison they were wrongly holed up in and a country that wants to wipe them off the map?

I can't help that these people are reacting in emotionally-charged ways.

But we're freeing men who have been wrongly imprisoned for seven years. And we're doing it with international cooperation as well as some international disapproval.

It didn't have to be done in secret but was done so for political purposes. I've already replied and acknowledged that. I hope you can acknowledge that the disapproval to this is based largely in emotional, baseless fear. And that it doesn't really matter compared to the act of freeing four wrongly imprisoned men who never had a day in court.

First of all,, 99% of the bitching from you and th Left is based on emotion. Secondly he pissed people off by being inconsiderate as well as creating political turmoil in other countries.

And you have even said it yourself, he didn't release them into this country because of the backlash he would get. So obviously you have no problems with us dumping our problems onto someone else.

But keep on with your "Obama walsk on water" mentality.

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 04:40 PM
First of all,, 99% of the bitching from you and th Left is based on emotion. Secondly he pissed people off by being inconsiderate as well as creating political turmoil in other countries.

WHAT turmoil? THIS is turmoil?

IRAN is in turmoil. This is not fucking turmoil.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
WHAT turmoil? THIS is turmoil?

IRAN is in turmoil. This is not ****ing turmoil.

LMAO ok..well I forgot you decide what is what....ROFL

Iran...the leader of the country which Bush called out and you on the Left slammed him for it. Thanks for proving my point yet again.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2009, 05:09 PM
And that is pure bullshit. I am actually one of the few on here who slams both sides. Once again you have no ****ing clue.

Kotter, is that you?

Direckshun
06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
LMAO ok..well I forgot you decide what is what....ROFL

Iran...the leader of the country which Bush called out and you on the Left slammed him for it. Thanks for proving my point yet again.

This is a political controversy -- a ****ing turmoil is people getting shot in the street.

I don't think that's *my* definition. That's reality.

Geez, if this is turmoil than our country has been enmeshed in turmoil pretty much since our founding.

orange
06-20-2009, 05:22 AM
The "firestorm" is about Bermuda acting without informing their English masters overlords partners

Premier Brown survives confidence vote
SATURDAY, JUNE 20, 5AM: Premier Dr. Ewart Brown this morning survived a move to oust him from power over his secret deal with the U.S to bring four former Guantanamo prisoners to Bermuda.

A vote of no confidence in his government failed to carry as PLP MPs stood by their man.

The Premier apologized for negative repercussions from his actions and stated that "no law was broken" and "no constitutional provision flagrantly violated."

But he stood firmly behind his decision to bring the Chinese Muslims to Bermuda and said this week's public protests against him had been politically motivated. In recent days he had been subjected to "a vicious campaign to steal what they could not earn - the governance of this country." He described the protests as "a rally of UBP supporters full of rancour, hatred and disrespect like we have never seen before on this island."

He said he meant no disrespect to the U.K. or the Governor for lack of consultation and stated: "We have performed a humanitarian act that has been applauded around the world... History will be on our side because we have done what is right."

:D [B]Dr. Brown added that by aligning Bermuda's interests with America, "we had been saying 'yes we can' instead of 'please sir, may I'?'" :D

The motion - tabled by Opposition Leader Kim Swan - went down by 22 votes to 11. The UBP's Mark Pettingill abstained and shadow sports minister Darius Tucker was not present for the vote. The Speaker did not vote.

The result notwithstanding, a handful of PLP figures are unhappy with the Premier's decision to allow four Chinese Muslims into the country without consulting Parliament or the Governor - one Cabinet Minister, Dale Butler, calling it "reprehensible."

But they were reluctant to back a UBP move which, they feared, might have led to a general election.

The outcome does not signal an end to the debate over Dr. Brown's leadership. But party insiders say it's a matter they would prefer to deal with internally, and predict the Premier could face another challenge down the road.

Deputy Minister Paula Cox said the PLP had the necessary apparatus to deal with the issue of party leadership. "There is a way to do these things properly and this [motion] in my view is not the way. I can't support coming to this House to take out the PLP government," Ms Cox said. "The risk is too great of a possibility of a general election.

"This is not the time or place to have any lynching of the party leader."

As the debate wore on, the fact that very few PLP MPs spoke in support of Dr. Brown was increasingly conspicuous. Instead they rallied around the party and cited its achievements. A handful of PLP MPs had strong words of criticism for their leader and even though he survived tonight's vote, it's clear he has fences to mend.

In the end the PLP closed ranks, though it seems now that the wording of the motion might just have doomed it from the outset. The Constitutional requirement that it had to mention the government rather than solely target the Premier appears to have made it unpalatable to PLP dissidents whose support was crucial to its success. Some UBP MPs also conceded its flaws - Donte Hunt suggesting the Constitution should be amended.

Interpretations of the Constitution vary, and some experts say that the vaguely worded motion that was under debate - 'the House has no confidence in the government led by the Premier' - if passed, would have left the Governor with little choice but to dissolve Parliament and go to the country.

Others, however, suggested the Governor would have had no reason to call a general election because neither party wanted it. (Senior UBP figures say the common sense response from the Governor would have been to tell MPs to come back to the House with a new leader drawn from the majority party, that is, the PLP).

In the end it was a moot point, with a vote in favour of the Premier finally coming in at 5am after a marathon debate in which MPs from both sides of the House talked at length on the issue.

Introducing the motion, Mr. Swan compared the Premier to footballer George Best, staying he wanted to keep the ball to himself instead of playing with the rest of the team.

"When you have famous sayings like 'we had to mislead you'... the mindset of 'we had to mislead you' [reminds me] what a tangled web we weave when we practice to mislead."

Mr. Swan said: "It was not the intention of the Opposition with this motion to do any harm to the government. It was our intention to address the leadership of the honourable Premier, the style of which has caused the country great harm."

Mr. Swan also criticized the Premier's "authoritarian, autocratic style," saying it had brought "great discomfort and great disquiet within the community."

Dr. Brown was present for the early part of the debate, looking relaxed, except on a couple of occasions when he challenged Mr. Swan's criticism of faith-based tourism and the controversy surrounding ad agency GlobalHue.

Former PLP Premier Alex Scott was critical of Dr. Brown's handling of the affair and talked about damage to the island's reputation overseas, suggesting that Internet searches of 'Bermuda' now generate thousands of references to terrorists. His was a strong but measured rebuke of the Premier that left listeners wondering whether he would vote against his party's leader or be satisfied with dressing him down in public.

Shadow finance minister Bob Richards said the premier's decision on the Uighurs would hurt tourism because Americans feared and loathed people from Guantanamo Bay and would vent their anger by cancelling vacations to Bermuda.

PLP Cabinet Minister Terry Lister said the motion was about whether MPs had confidence in the government - and proceeded, in a lengthy address, to list various government achievements in recent years.

Fellow PLP Wayne Perinchief, a former assistant commissioner of police who has been openly critical of the Premier, said the country was "on the cusp of spiralling into lawlessness" and emphasized the need to live by the rule of law.

"By the dictum of collective responsibility we are liable vicariously for the actions of our Premier," he said.

In an unexpected development early on in the debate, Speaker Stanley Lowe drew the attention of the House to a group of visiting Chinese business people in the public gallery.

Their representative, Mary Schack, told the Bermuda Sun that they were in Bermuda on a pre-arranged trip to forge tourism links and that the timing of their visit had nothing to do with the arrival here of the four Chinese Muslims. She told us the affair, in her view, will have no effect whatsoever on tourism and/or business connections between China and Bermuda.

PLP MP and former union boss Derrick Burgess injected a little humour into proceedings, talking about how Britain had left Bermuda to fend for itself on issues like offshore tax but was now furious about being kept out of the loop on the Gitmo Four. "They failed us, now they want to spank us," he quipped, urging the Brits to "show some love for Bermuda".

He added that Bermuda is now in a stronger position than ever with regard to negotiating with the U.S. on issues such as the clean-up of the former U.S. naval base at Morgan's Point, tax, and the stop list [for convicted drug offenders].

Drawing a contrast between the Uighurs' peaceful presence on the island and recent gun crimes here, Mr. Burgess said: "These are four people who have been called terrorists but we have terrorists right in our streets - that's what we should be marching about."

For the UBP, Donte Hunt candidly spelt out the difficulty his party faced in framing a motion that would remove the Premier without dismantling the government. He admitted to the inadequacy of the motion, suggesting that the Constitution needed to be amended to allow the House to specifically address the leadership issue without involving the government in a no confidence motion.

But he asked PLP MPs to trust the Opposition in the spirit of the motion and its specific purpose of targeting the Premier, despite the fact that the wording made reference to the government: "I understand the wording is a hard pill to swallow but it's the only way we have to get across our intent.

"We are not trying to remove the government, the wording is the only tool we have to [remove the premier]."

In the end, the effort failed.

In a powerful speech, Cabinet Minister Dale Butler, whom few had expected to go against the Premier, had described Dr. Brown's actions as "reprehensible" and demanded an apology.

"I was absolutely stunned - I think we all were, that we were not informed [about the Gitmo Four]," Mr. Butler said. "I was like jeez, did I miss a meeting? The Premier should apologize to the House, to his Cabinet and the people of Bermuda. I saw him this morning [Friday] and I asked him to apologize and he didn't... I ask him now to do it, to come in here and apologize. I would like to accept an apology to govern that way I will vote."

Randy Horton, who has become a vocal critic of Dr. Brown since leaving the Cabinet, told the House: "I'm very disappointed in the manner in which our leader is leading the country right now and the manner in which he has disrespected members of our Parliament.

"I hope and pray that as a result of this debate that we're going to see a better man in the honourable Dr. Brown."

Whether his wish comes true, of course, remains to be seen.

A former UBP parliamentary candidate summed up events this way: "The UBP's underlying message here on this motion was 'it's ok to support this because we know no-one wants us as the Government.' They have in fact admitted that the UBP is less popular than Ewart. Which is quite an accomplishment.

"The UBP is simply not viable. If they're smart they'll use this failed motion and public sentiment for change as a springboard for a serious effort at a new party. The ones who want to break away should do it NOW. "

Another political observer, who followed the debate into the early hours, told us: "This was a dead certainty from the moment that The Royal Gazette, the Mid-Ocean and the UBP went through the usual super-bias, fear-mongering, dictatorship, pro-colonial routine. Until they learn that they are part of the problem, they give Brown a get out of jail free card no matter what the charge."

http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?SectionID=24&SubSectionID=270&ArticleID=41919