PDA

View Full Version : Royals I found our catcher of the future

cmh6476
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=955764

LAS VEGAS -- A 16-year-old baseball phenom dubbed the game's "Chosen One" by Sports Illustrated plans to skip his final two years of high school in hopes of entering the Major League Baseball draft earlier, his father said.

Bryce Harper has registered at a community college where he plans to attend classes in the fall and play next season, his father Ron Harper said.

"People question your parenting and what you're doing. Honestly, we don't think it's that big a deal," Ron Harper said. "He's not leaving school to go work in a fast food restaurant. Bryce is a good kid. He's smart and he's going to get his education."

Ron Harper announced his son's decision on Saturday in Oklahoma City.

Harper, a 6-foot-3-inch catcher whom experts say could be a top draft pick when he becomes eligible, recently signed enrollment forms and a letter of intent to play for the College of Southern Nevada.

Harper plans to take a high school equivalency test and enter the draft in 2010 or 2011, Ron Harper said.

"Bryce is always looking for his next challenge," Ron Harper said. He's going to pursue his education, too. He's going to get pushed academically and athletically."

Harper hit .626 with 14 homers, 55 RBIs and 36 steals last season for Las Vegas High School.

His photo is on the cover of the June 8 issue of Sports Illustrated, along with a headline that compares him to LeBron James, the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball star who received superstar hype in high school before getting picked first in the 2003 NBA draft.

Ron Harper said his son pushed to leave high school early.

"He was thinking about it, he initiated it," the father said. "He said, 'Dad, why can't I take my GED and do this?"'

Players become eligible for the draft at age 16 if they have completed high school.

BigVE
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
SI had a nice article about this kid...if I remember right it mentioned how he has had several HR's measured over 500 feet and can throw a fastball in the mid 90's. What a freak.

sedated
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
if he goes into the draft next year, the royals have a lot of work to do to get the #1 pick. the nationals could end up with Strasburg and Harper (and a lot of debt)

gblowfish
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM
We'll let him share a house with Colt Griffin.

58kcfan89
06-15-2009, 03:46 PM
We'll let him share a house with Colt Griffin.

This. And if the Royals did draft him, no way he'd stick around after his first contract ran out. I'd like to think we at least have a shot at keeping some of our draft picks long-term.

DeezNutz
06-15-2009, 03:48 PM
This. And if the Royals did draft him, no way he'd stick around after his first contract ran out. I'd like to think we at least have a shot at keeping some of our draft picks long-term.

Why would this be the case?

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 03:49 PM
This would be nice, he'll be a National.

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 03:58 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/liS3kGvQ9Bk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/liS3kGvQ9Bk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> He was using an aluminum bat, but its still impressive.

CoMoChief
06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Welp, time to tank the season after July.

CoMoChief
06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Why would this be the case?

Are you serious? Roughly 15 years of terrible front office decisons STILL hasn't gotten your attention about what the front office is all about? (profit)

They'd rather make money than win. PERIOD.

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Welp.Thats not a real word.

Halfcan
06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
the kid looks good-but lots do at that age.

LaChapelle
06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Shouldn't this be a thread on the OrangeMane?

Sure-Oz
06-15-2009, 05:19 PM
so we need to go 0-162 next year then

CoMoChief
06-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Thats not a real word.

The hell it isn't!!!!!!! :cuss:

Valiant
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
The hell it isn't!!!!!!! :cuss:

Think it is spelled whelp...

CoMoChief
06-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Think it is spelled whelp...

thanks......but it IS a word.

Mizzou_8541
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Todd Van Poppel > Bryce Harper (prospect wise, that is)

MIAdragon
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Todd Van Poppel > Bryce Harper

LMAO no WAY this kids a bust.

Sure-Oz
06-15-2009, 06:17 PM
As long as he doesnt get on coke like hamilton

Mizzou_8541
06-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I hope not...we may have a very high pick in 2010!

DeezNutz
06-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Are you serious? Roughly 15 years of terrible front office decisons STILL hasn't gotten your attention about what the front office is all about? (profit)

They'd rather make money than win. PERIOD.

Not exactly the case since '05.

Greinke should obviate some of the fears about re-signing our own talent. I dislike Glass as much as anyone on this board, but the present isn't the past.

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Think it is spelled whelp...Whelp is a word, but it means something entirely different. Welp is not a word.

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 07:00 PM
thanks......but it IS a word.http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=welp ROFL

58kcfan89
06-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Not exactly the case since '05.

Greinke should obviate some of the fears about re-signing our own talent. I dislike Glass as much as anyone on this board, but the present isn't the past.

I was referring more to the fact that he's been quoted as saying that his dream is to play for the Yankees in the pinstripes. But yeah, I'd like to see ownership sign more than 2 players long-term before I believe they'll shell out big bucks to keep a team intact.

Archie F. Swin
06-15-2009, 07:55 PM
geezus that a sick swing...love to know the bat speed

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 09:32 PM
geezus that a sick swing...love to know the bat speedDid you watch the video I embedded? When they show him in that HR derby, there is a black box behind him. Its routinely goes over 100 after every swing, when it was in the shot. I don't know what it is measuring. Batspeed or ball velocity when it leaves the bat.

stlchiefs
06-15-2009, 09:40 PM
geezus that a sick swing...love to know the bat speed

113? That's what I saw flash on the screen on the ground behind him. I can only guess that's what it's indicating because it's sure as hell not the pitch speed.

Kyle DeLexus
06-15-2009, 09:46 PM
either bat speed or ball speed thats pretty impressive. I'd like to see what he does with a wooden bat.

RJ
06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
The kid is making a good decision by getting drafted asap. He's a catcher, hits left handed and is a power hitter. That may or may not translate to major league success, but it will sure as hell translate to a huge signing bonus.

Kyle DeLexus
06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
The kid is making a good decision by getting drafted asap. He's a catcher, hits left handed and is a power hitter at this stage of his career. That may or may not translate to major league success, but it will sure as hell translate to a huge signing bonus.

Imagine if everything just goes right. He's 16 right now he could be in the show at 19 or 20

RJ
06-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Imagine if everything just goes right. He's 16 right now he could be in the show at 19 or 20

Or he could still be stuck in A-ball somewhere, no longer considered a prospect. But if he handles the money right, he'll be set for life.

Kyle DeLexus
06-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Or he could still be stuck in A-ball somewhere, no longer considered a prospect. But if he handles the money right, he'll be set for life.

Well yeah, thats a possibility with any pick. The thing with him you'll be finding out about the time others would be getting drafted.

stlchiefs
06-15-2009, 10:30 PM
The kid is making a good decision by getting drafted asap. He's a catcher, hits left handed and is a power hitter. That may or may not translate to major league success, but it will sure as hell translate to a huge signing bonus.

Paging Scott Boras.

Ari Chi3fs
06-15-2009, 11:49 PM
My kid is 7 and he has a stroke similar to this kid.

If your kid plays ball, get them "The Science of HItting" by Ted Williams. Harper here, is using TEXTBOOK Ted Williams approach, except for the little front foot hitch that he is doing.

TEXTBOOK TED. The back elbow. The cocking of the hip, shoulder & knee going back as the pitch is coming in... then dropping the elbow and swinging slightly upward... Vintage Ted Williams...

except with a bit more power + aluminum bat.

This kid could be good, REALLY good.

Kyle DeLexus
06-15-2009, 11:53 PM
My kid is 7 and he has a stroke similar to this kid.

If your kid plays ball, get them "The Science of HItting" by Ted Williams. Harper here, is using TEXTBOOK Ted Williams approach, except for the little front foot hitch that he is doing.

TEXTBOOK TED. The back elbow. The cocking of the hip, shoulder & knee going back as the pitch is coming in... then dropping the elbow and swinging slightly upward... Vintage Ted Williams...

except with a bit more power + aluminum bat.

This kid could be good, REALLY good.

Damn your kid is hitting 500ft bombs? Screw school get that kid an agent!

stlchiefs
06-15-2009, 11:56 PM

Get him a GED Test Prep book asap.

Ari Chi3fs
06-15-2009, 11:57 PM

heh. No. He has a sweet stroke though... Next Game, Ill take some pics.

I taught him the Ted Williams approach at age 5.5 and he's loved baseball since age 11 months during the Angels/Giants World Series...

When he was 15 months and balanced and walking good... we took an empty paper towel roll & I would throw balloons at him... pop them at him, so his hand/eye coordination happened early on.

I'm a firm believer in this principle... Find whatever it is that your kid enjoys doing most, and help them become the best they can be at whatever it is that they love.

He wants to play catch with me 5-6 times a week... and we hit a bucket of balls almost every night.

If he decides to not play anymore that is his choice... but he really loves it so far... I think he realizes that he is pretty good and wants to keep growing his skills to be better. It's fun to see.

Kyle DeLexus
06-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Thats pretty cool. Great to see a dad like that actually, my brother pretty much had to do all that kind of stuff with me.

stlchiefs
06-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Thats pretty cool. Great to see a dad like that actually, my brother pretty much had to do all that kind of stuff with me.

Someone had to work to pay those assistants to sit around and post on CP all day. :D

Kyle DeLexus
06-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Someone had to work to pay those assistants to sit around and post on CP all day. :D

Your right that would be my mom. That's why she's the greatest. My dad though that's a different story.

stlchiefs
06-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Your right that would be my mom. That's why she's the greatest. My dad though that's a different story.

Sorry, I shouldn't have gone there. I don't know the story and don't want to bring anything negative up for you. :doh!:

Kyle DeLexus
06-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Sorry, I shouldn't have gone there. I don't know the story and don't want to bring anything negative up for you. :doh!:

ROFL Don't even worry about it. I laughed but felt I shouldn't let my dad get credit.