PDA

View Full Version : Computers I fired AT&T today

Lzen
06-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I have had problems with my DSL over the past few months. It goes out sporadically or the speed is up and down. I pay for the 3 Mbps service. Here is a speed test I just did. Not exactly getting what I pay for.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/496617153.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

One of the first things I did was to buy a new Motorola modem from them. Problems still.

Also had the phone line go out once during the past few months time. The phone line problem ended up being on their end, of course. But I had to waste my whole damn afternoon of leave time for their repair service.

Had them come out again recently to fix the DSL which hasn't been working properly for months now. Supposed to have fixed it. She said she put a filter on the main line into the house. Problems started showing up again shortly after that.

I even called them a week ago one last time to see if they could try to repair it again. The guy I spoke with said the repair center would be calling me the next day because they were already closed for the night. Of course, I knew that as I had already been through his a few times. This time, however, nobody ever called me to check my line and/or schedule a repair.

I called today and canceled my ATT phone and DSL service that I have been on for 18(phone) and 7(DSL) years. Cox will be out to install cable internet and digital phone next Tuesday. I can't wait to not have these problems anymore. Anyone else have experiences like this with ATT or any other provider?

88TG88
06-15-2009, 08:03 PM
A few years ago our power went out and we didn't have phone or internet for 6 days. We got rid of ATT a few days after that.

CrazyPhuD
06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Sorry will never give another dollar to any cable company ever. Fortunately they are a dying business.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I fired AT&T wireless a month after I hired them. Then they tried to charge me $300 for firing them, I thought that was pretty funny.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Sorry will never give another dollar to any cable company ever. Fortunately they are a dying business.
:spock: Yeah, I hardly know anyone with cable anymore.

CrazyPhuD
06-15-2009, 08:10 PM
:spock: Yeah, I hardly know anyone with cable anymore.

How many people do you know who still get the newspaper? How many people do you know who have landlines?

0 under 30.....

Cable(and satellite) companies are the next dominos to fall and that's not in doubt. It's a failing business model and even they know it.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2009, 08:11 PM
How many people do you know who still get the newspaper? How many people do you know who have landlines?

0 under 30.....

Cable(and satellite) companies are the next dominos to fall and that's not in doubt. It's a failing business model and even they know it.

I know where you're going with this, but if all of the traditional phone companies go out of business, and all of the cable/satellite companies are going out of business, who is going to supply us with the internet?

Lzen
06-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Well,
I should point out that I still have ATT cell phone service. It has been fine I I have been happy with my Dish Network for my television viewing pleasure. But now I will have Cox for digital phone and internet.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-15-2009, 08:15 PM

0 under 30.....

What's going to replace them? The internet? Maybe eventually, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I know where you're going with this, but if all of the traditional phone companies go out of business, and all of the cable/satellite companies are going out of business, who is going to supply us with the internet?
Oh, and there's that minor detail too...ROFL

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
What's going to replace them? The internet? Maybe eventually, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Oh, and there's that minor detail too...ROFL

LMAO Perhaps the best solo exchange in the history of Chiefsplanet.

listopencil
06-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I get about that and I pay for the 1.5-just did the same test and got 1.3 and .3 on my crappy laptop.

CrazyPhuD
06-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Yes but at that point they stop being cable companies and become infrastructure companies. The business model of the cable company today is dead. The question then becomes who do you want to be your network provider.

Honest answer there...the question is how long it will take but there it's likely wireless. The infrastructure costs of running lines to each house starts to be impractical here. This will take longer. But the switch off of standard cable could occur much quicker.

Tivo's another classic example, good company, interesting technology, but also likely dead in the long rung. Why would I need a DVR when I have my movies/TV on demand when I want them already.

Valiant
06-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Really?? They keep turning bigger profits each year off of internet services..

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496636919.png (http://www.speedtest.net)I pay for 6megs. I'm happy with mine. Its consistant, no outages.

Valiant
06-15-2009, 08:27 PM

0 under 30.....

Maybe in about 20-30 years when the internet has the speed and access countrywide.. Okay maybe 30-40 years..

But then that is if regulations don't hinder the streaming access..

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
The internet is not a truck.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes but at that point they stop being cable companies and become infrastructure companies. The business model of the cable company today is dead. The question then becomes who do you want to be your network provider.

Honest answer there...the question is how long it will take but there it's likely wireless. The infrastructure costs of running lines to each house starts to be impractical here. This will take longer. But the switch off of standard cable could occur much quicker.

Tivo's another classic example, good company, interesting technology, but also likely dead in the long rung. Why would I need a DVR when I have my movies/TV on demand when I want them already.

I'm totally picking up what you're laying down. But they're completely overhauling themselves because they see the writing on the wall. I was just talking to my wife and parents about this over the weekend. At some point in the next 10-20 years internet will stream through televisions providing whatever form of entertainment that you're looking for. Everything will be on demand. As long as they can find a way to force you to watch the advertisements. ;)

Valiant
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
I get Time Warner free...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/496639574.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496640490.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

CrazyPhuD
06-15-2009, 08:32 PM

Two cases in point, hulu and netflix.

I currently have directv and get all the channels. Pretty much the only thing I watch it for is movies, and a very select set of tv. I'm starting my test of netflix to the 360 this week and if it meets my needs I'm dumping directv. Not because I don't like it, but because it's value is low to me. If I can get what I get today(and sooner releases for some movies) on netflix why would I pay $100+ a month for satellite?

Bandwidth consumption for video still needs to be improved for truly widespread use, but that is coming. The question is timing and I'm sure they will hold on for a while, but growth will be non-existent for them. This world will all be about content creation not distribution. If you don't create the content the amount of value you add(and the amount you can charge) will be limited.

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Tivo's another classic example, good company, interesting technology, but also likely dead in the long rung. Why would I need a DVR when I have my movies/TV on demand when I want them already.No way. Too many people love having a DVR. I'll never be without one.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2009, 08:35 PM
No way. Too many people love having a DVR. I'll never be without one.

What he's saying is, you won't need one. Everything will be on your schedule.

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Two cases in point, hulu and netflix.

I currently have directv and get all the channels. Pretty much the only thing I watch it for is movies, and a very select set of tv. I'm starting my test of netflix to the 360 this week and if it meets my needs I'm dumping directv. Not because I don't like it, but because it's value is low to me. If I can get what I get today(and sooner releases for some movies) on netflix why would I pay $100+ a month for satellite?

Bandwidth consumption for video still needs to be improved for truly widespread use, but that is coming. The question is timing and I'm sure they will hold on for a while, but growth will be non-existent for them. This world will all be about content creation not distribution. If you don't create the content the amount of value you add(and the amount you can charge) will be limited.Well, you need internet for both of those. Plus, in the future you'll see additional charges for bandwidth usage, so these mediums will not effectively replace cable/Sattilite. I use netflix, and I have Dtv. I don't have the premiums because of netflix.

Buehler445
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496640490.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Jesus flop...

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Jesus flop...

I live in Seattle. We get most of everything including Comcast's super high speed internet. I don't even pay extra for it. This place pisses me off frequently, but it definitely has its benefits.

Buehler445
To the question, when I was in college, I got SBC internet because they ran some promotion or something. Hated it. Kept it a year, cussed at A LOT of reps.

I had to watch my bill very closely because 4 or 5 times they'd charge me for shit I didn't want no matter what I said.

Never worked. They could never fix it. Hated it. Awful.

BigMeatballDave
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496640490.png (http://www.speedtest.net)Jesus. Why would you need that much bandwidth? My GFs parents get speeds like that on TWC. Seems a waste.

CrazyPhuD
06-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Maybe in about 20-30 years when the internet has the speed and access countrywide.. Okay maybe 30-40 years..

But then that is if regulations don't hinder the streaming access..

Well you never know what the gov will do. But it may happen alot sooner than you think.

So I work in the field of data compression. There are two ways to enable the wide spread use of video on the internet. First is the large scale build out that allows the additional capacity you need to handle the video traffic the way it is now.

The second approach instead would be algorithmically instead of capacity. What if the compression were to improve at the same quality levels we have today? What if video took 1/2 the bandwith it does now, or 1/4 or even 1/10th. How much does that accelerate the rollout. We're now in the pseudo infancy of internet video. But it can grow up quite fast if technically challenges are overcome. Even without a major capacity upgrade.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Jesus. Why would you need that much bandwidth? My GFs parents get speeds like that on TWC. Seems a waste.

That's standard cable internet for me. I pay $30 a month for it. I did negotiate that rate, but it's pretty cheap IMO. I can download a movie (legally of course :evil: ) in minutes.

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
What he's saying is, you won't need one. Everything will be on your schedule.I seriously doubt on demand will ever show every single program.

CrazyPhuD
06-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I seriously doubt on demand will ever show every single program.

Why not disk space is free, it doesn't cost you anything to store it, it only costs you to deliver it. The network bandwidth is one of the biggest limiters today.

Buehler445
06-15-2009, 08:49 PM
That's standard cable internet for me. I pay $30 a month for it. I did negotiate that rate, but it's pretty cheap IMO. I can download a movie (legally of course :evil: ) in minutes.

I hate your soul.

BigMeatballDave
06-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Why not disk space is free, it doesn't cost you anything to store it, it only costs you to deliver it. The network bandwidth is one of the biggest limiters today.If you say so. You seem to know more about it than I do. It would be nice if that happened. I wouldn't have to worry about missing my shows if the power were to go out during recording.

Goldmember
06-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I have AT&T and the only problem I have is when I use the land line I get really bad static or it disconnects the internet. Had a guy come out to check it out, worked for a while and then starts doing it again intermittently. Anyone else have this problem with DSL?

CrazyPhuD
06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
If you say so. You seem to know more about it than I do. It would be nice if that happened. I wouldn't have to worry about missing my shows if the power were to go out during recording.

No one can know the exact timing but it is coming. That's just what the trending is showing. The other great thing about this will also be you can watch your shows anywhere. One the bus, on the subway, on the plane. At your in-laws house. Total data mobility. Imagine plugging your cell phone into your tv a the hotel in europe and getting to watch your favorite sitcom? Or your local news. Or the local news at your old hometown you don't live at. That's the future. But then again, I have to drink the koolaid. I'm going to start my own company in this space in a few months.

CrazyPhuD
06-15-2009, 08:58 PM
I have AT&T and the only problem I have is when I use the land line I get really bad static or it disconnects the internet. Had a guy come out to check it out, worked for a while and then starts doing it again intermittently. Anyone else have this problem with DSL?

Usually this is a problem with the filters on the DSL. Either the internet or the phone line is interfering with the other.

Goldmember
06-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Usually this is a problem with the filters on the DSL. Either the internet or the phone line is interfering with the other.

I've got the filters on the right way...are you saying they might be defective?

Buehler445
06-15-2009, 09:06 PM
No one can know the exact timing but it is coming. That's just what the trending is showing. The other great thing about this will also be you can watch your shows anywhere. One the bus, on the subway, on the plane. At your in-laws house. Total data mobility. Imagine plugging your cell phone into your tv a the hotel in europe and getting to watch your favorite sitcom? Or your local news. Or the local news at your old hometown you don't live at. That's the future. But then again, I have to drink the koolaid. I'm going to start my own company in this space in a few months.

Good luck in your new company. Seriously. That's a big deal.

One thing that must be considered is that the CONTENT of TV has to be paid for. It does. And if it is all on-demand internet, the revenue stream is limited severely. I don't know how Hulu et. al. are funded, but It surely can't be as much as what are being paid through traditional TV functions, Ads are all good and fun, but you're still losing the monthly fee you pay.

When you talk about major paradigm shifts like this, it goes beyond just supply and demand. Other market forces will come into play. It is interesting to think about, but before staking too much money on it, make damn sure you research the fuck out of it. Look at other major technological changes and determine what smoothed the transition. More importantly look at technological changes that SHOULD have worked and determine if any similar roadblocks are in place in this function. I'm not educated enough to know about it, but I know it is a complex situation.

Also, you should PM Htismaque. I think he works in a similar industry.

Best of luck.

rockymtnchief
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM

Shut the modem/router off. If the noise disappears they might be related. If the noise is still there, plug a phone into the NID outside the house and see if there's still noise. If there's no noise, the trouble is in your house. If there is noise, let your phone company know.

I've had trouble like you've mentioned and it could be a number of things. Once an electrician wired the house funky, other times it was a bridge tap at the pedestal, and my wireless wouldn't work when I was on my 2.4 ghz telephone. (same frequency)

I'd give more advice, but the GF is getting pissed that I'm typing and not talking on the phone.

Goldmember
06-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Shut the modem/router off. If the noise disappears they might be related. If the noise is still there, plug a phone into the NID outside the house and see if there's still noise. If there's no noise, the trouble is in your house. If there is noise, let your phone company know.

I've had trouble like you've mentioned and it could be a number of things. Once an electrician wired the house funky, other times it was a bridge tap at the pedestal, and my wireless wouldn't work when I was on my 2.4 ghz telephone. (same frequency)

I'd give more advice, but the GF is getting pissed that I'm typing and not talking on the phone.

Thanks for the info...the tech checked that crap out already... I had this going on at my other house too. Maybe I need a new phone

Scorp
06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496668847.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Guru
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
I've been having minor problems with ATT lately but nothing that severe. I pay for 1.5 and have been dropping down to 1.1 alot. Today I am back at 1.5 though. I'm still using the same modem I purchased nearly 4 years ago too.

I can't even fathom going to Cox and paying their ridiculous prices though.

rockymtnchief
06-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I've been having minor problems with ATT lately but nothing that severe. I pay for 1.5 and have been dropping down to 1.1 alot. Today I am back at 1.5 though. I'm still using the same modem I purchased nearly 4 years ago too.

Keep in mind, most companies only guarantee the speed you subscribe to at the outside of your home at the NID. I've measured 1.5 outside the house, gone to the jack and measured it slower.

Also, some companies offer speeds "up to" a certain speed. It's not guaranteed.

Just an FYI.

Consistent1
06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496684796.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Sure-Oz
06-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Have at&t yahoo dsl, always has been perfect. maybe 1 outage for a few min ever. in 2 years.

Had TWC, they suck

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496684796.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Chicago is a great place for the web.

Consistent1
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM

Yep, Comcast sucks in some ways like all of them. I just know that they have to be better than many ISP's based on complaints I hear. That "Sandvine" thing on torrents was pissing me off, but that got resolved. I don't know the price exactly (wife pays the bill), but it is not overly high. I loved it when somebody asked why you would need so much bandwidth. Haha..

Mr. Flopnuts
06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Yep, Comcast sucks in some ways like all of them. I just know that they have to be better than many ISP's based on complaints I hear. That "Sandvine" thing on torrents was pissing me off, but that got resolved. I don't know the price exactly (wife pays the bill), but it is not overly high. I loved it when somebody asked why you would need so much bandwidth. Haha..

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh matey.

Groves
06-15-2009, 10:44 PM
You do realize that paying for 3Mbps means that you'd get a max of 3, but anything between 1.5 and 3 they'll call acceptable. Looks like you're below that, but not much.

Guru
06-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Keep in mind, most companies only guarantee the speed you subscribe to at the outside of your home at the NID. I've measured 1.5 outside the house, gone to the jack and measured it slower.

Also, some companies offer speeds "up to" a certain speed. It's not guaranteed.

Just an FYI.Oh, I am not really complaining as much as just stating I have noticed a difference recently. It was consistent as hell for the nearly 5 years I have had them until this past few weeks. Now it seems to be normal again.

I am still waiting for the next price increase with a speed reduction like they did to me last year though.

I wish I could justify $40-$50 per month on internet but I just can't. I feel I am overpaying at $25 right now.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Ya, i fired them a few years ago. My dsl kept crapping out every 30 min or so. Tghen would go down for hours and hours. I call them, they say, ok we found the problems. blah blah. Worked ok for a bit. Same problems occur later that night. So i call them again. Mind you, they dont come right away, its about a week later. Then they say its my modem. They give me a new modem. Well, later that night same shit happens. Call them again, then they say its some circuit breaking on the phone pole that got fried and its going to take them a week or 2 to fix. Ok, well i give them 3 weeks and nothing. FInally went over to Comcast.

I dont have many options where i live. SO its either AT and T or Comcast. Comcast is alot more stable and alot faster, problem is, its alot more expensive, but what choice do i have? there is no way i can go back to dial up. haha

Guru
06-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Ya, i fired them a few years ago. My dsl kept crapping out every 30 min or so. Tghen would go down for hours and hours. I call them, they say, ok we found the problems. blah blah. Worked ok for a bit. Same problems occur later that night. So i call them again. Mind you, they dont come right away, its about a week later. Then they say its my modem. They give me a new modem. Well, later that night same shit happens. Call them again, then they say its some circuit breaking on the phone pole that got fried and its going to take them a week or 2 to fix. Ok, well i give them 3 weeks and nothing. FInally went over to Comcast.

I dont have many options where i live. SO its either AT and T or Comcast. Comcast is alot more stable and alot faster, problem is, its alot more expensive, but what choice do i have? there is no way i can go back to dial up. hahaI can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be on dialup again.

Coach
06-16-2009, 04:56 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496852403.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

kcmaxwell
06-16-2009, 05:23 AM
i had exactly the same problems with at&t dsl, that they never could fix... of course, they made it sound like this was a rare problem... no problems with phone service, just dsl...

Skip Towne
06-16-2009, 05:43 AM
I pay $40 per month for a landline I only use to fax invoices to my employer. I have toyed with firing them for several months. When I paid my bill this month, their automated system failed so it kicked me to a rep. The first thing he said was they were going to charge me $5 for using a rep. That did it. I'm firing them today.

penguinz
06-16-2009, 05:49 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496879481.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I have the 3mbps service.

TrickyNicky
06-16-2009, 06:05 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496886687.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Cox is great. Locked in at $25/mo 7 years ago. Happy ever since.

BigRedChief
06-16-2009, 06:38 AM
I have had problems with my DSL over the past few months. It goes out sporadically or the speed is up and down. I pay for the 3 Mbps service. Here is a speed test I just did. Not exactly getting what I pay for.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/496617153.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

One of the first things I did was to buy a new Motorola modem from them. Problems still.

Also had the phone line go out once during the past few months time. The phone line problem ended up being on their end, of course. But I had to waste my whole damn afternoon of leave time for their repair service.

Had them come out again recently to fix the DSL which hasn't been working properly for months now. Supposed to have fixed it. She said she put a filter on the main line into the house. Problems started showing up again shortly after that.

I even called them a week ago one last time to see if they could try to repair it again. The guy I spoke with said the repair center would be calling me the next day because they were already closed for the night. Of course, I knew that as I had already been through his a few times. This time, however, nobody ever called me to check my line and/or schedule a repair.

I called today and canceled my ATT phone and DSL service that I have been on for 18(phone) and 7(DSL) years. Cox will be out to install cable internet and digital phone next Tuesday. I can't wait to not have these problems anymore. Anyone else have experiences like this with ATT or any other provider?
I got the ATT U-Verse, VOIP local phone and I-Phone wireless services and couldn't be happier. DSL sucks.

chagrin
06-16-2009, 06:40 AM
It's important to note - anyone trying to get speed, etc.

Understand that whenever you pay for a certain speed - DSL is an "at best" technology. 3Meg actually means "up to 3 meg" and whatever speed you sync up to at install is what you're going usually going to get. It depends on how far you are located from the CO - for what it's worth, I find DSL to be the most reliable form of transfer (cable is fast as hell but for the most part, you have to deal with peak times and cable outages - of course that depends on where you are and how good your cable provider is). However you have to be aware of what speed you are able to qualify for, and I don't mean what the salesman tells you you are qualified for.

BigRedChief
06-16-2009, 06:55 AM
It's important to note - anyone trying to get speed, etc.

Understand that whenever you pay for a certain speed - DSL is an "at best" technology. 3Meg actually means "up to 3 meg" and whatever speed you sync up to at install is what you're going usually going to get. It depends on how far you are located from the CO - for what it's worth, I find DSL to be the most reliable form of transfer (cable is fast as hell but for the most part, you have to deal with peak times and cable outages - of course that depends on where you are and how good your cable provider is). However you have to be aware of what speed you are able to qualify for, and I don't mean what the salesman tells you you are qualified for.
Wouldn't a dedicated fibre line like U-Verse be more reliable than DSL and cable?

rockymtnchief
06-16-2009, 06:59 AM
You do realize that paying for 3Mbps means that you'd get a max of 3, but anything between 1.5 and 3 they'll call acceptable. Looks like you're below that, but not much.
There again, it depends on the company. We guarantee the speed to be within 10% outside of the house.

Oh, I am not really complaining as much as just stating I have noticed a difference recently. It was consistent as hell for the nearly 5 years I have had them until this past few weeks. Now it seems to be normal again.

I am still waiting for the next price increase with a speed reduction like they did to me last year though.

I wish I could justify $40-$50 per month on internet but I just can't. I feel I am overpaying at $25 right now.
I didn't think you were complaining. Just trying to help.

Every situation and area will be different. In my case, 90% of my DSL troubles are inside the home since most of my plant is new. I've had people call our reps and chew their ass about slow speeds before. Then I drive 50 miles out to their home and find out they added Directv and didn't filter the receivers. Nobody ever apologizes to me or the reps. And they sure never admit to their friends that the trouble was inside their own home.

Last week I tested the speed ok at the NID for a gal and my job should've been done. She complained some more so I tested it at the jack ok. She still said it was the companies trouble. I tested it with my laptop off the wireless router she bought off Ebay and the speed was still good. She wouldn't admit that she probably had viruses, spyware, etc... on her PC. So she canceled her service and is going to try the other company in town and have the same results. But the damage has been done. She's already told all her friends that my company sucks. That reflects back on me and the work I do and I take it very personal.

But, from the sounds of the posts above, it sounds like AT&T has some issues. Good luck.

Saulbadguy
06-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Heh.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/496921943.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

rockymtnchief
06-16-2009, 07:07 AM
It depends on how far you are located from the CO...

Exellent point:clap:

I have people that live in remote areas far from our CO or RST's. They call in asking for DSL from time to time. I let them know that DSL is engineered to go out 18,000'. I then let them know that it will work out further, but the speed isn't guaranteed.

penguinz
06-16-2009, 07:12 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496926745.png (http://www.speedtest.net) :D

BigMeatballDave
06-16-2009, 07:15 AM
I got the ATT U-Verse, VOIP local phone and I-Phone wireless services and couldn't be happier. DSL sucks.I have ATT DSL, Its pretty reliable. I like it better than cable. Sure, I could get much higher speeds with cable, but I really have no need for it. I switched over from Time warner about a yr ago and have not seen a single outage. I like DSL better. Now, if I could get an optical service like Verizons Fios, I'd do that in a heartbeat. But, compared to cable, I like DSL.

rockymtnchief
06-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Wouldn't a dedicated fibre line like U-Verse be more reliable than DSL and cable?
Yes and no. Fiber, in most cases is better. It depends on your head end equipment and fiber doesn't help if you still have a bottleneck somewhere else in your network.

Also, if you live close to a CO and subscribe to 3 meg service, you probably couldn't tell the difference between copper and fiber.

I'm assuming everyone already knows the advantages of copper so I won't go into it.

Edit: Given the choice, I'd rather be on fiber.

Fritz88
06-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Had similar problems.

Go for Cable but remember you have a download limit every month. It's much faster though.

Skip Towne
06-16-2009, 08:03 AM
OK. It took 30 minutes but I'm done with them. It feels really good. I did keep DSL though.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
OK. It took 30 minutes but I'm done with them. It feels really good. I did keep DSL though.

I don't know if magic jack works with DSL, but I think it does. At $1.66 a month, it would be hard to lose.

http://www.magicjack.com/4/index.asp

rockymtnchief
06-16-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't know if magic jack works with DSL, but I think it does. At $1.66 a month, it would be hard to lose.

http://www.magicjack.com/4/index.asp
I've heard mixed reviews about it. For personal calls it's worth trying. But if you have professional business to conduct or health issues, I'd keep a cell or landline handy. If the power goes out you're S.O.L.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
I may be late to the party, but I thought I would address this anyway.

Guess what? Not everyone is like you. Some people actually watch tv shows and sporting events. I like NFL Network, ESPN, etc. And there are shows I like such as Burn Notice, Dog Whisperer, etc. Can't get those on Netflix. Hulu? Maybe, but not the newest episodes as I recall.

BTW, I also have Netflix and I watch movies through the 360. Of course, it sucks when your bandwidth is limited. It reduces the picture quality to match your bandwidth/connection speed. Hopefully, I won't have that problem anymore after next Tuesday. :)

Shut up, you! DVR is the best invention evar!!

Lzen
06-16-2009, 08:37 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496636919.png (http://www.speedtest.net)I pay for 6megs. I'm happy with mine. Its consistant, no outages.

That's good and I'm glad you're happy with it. Your ping is a bit slow, btw. Anyway, if you don't have to deal with customer service and your connection and speed stays consistent, then you are a happy customer. Unfortunately, they couldn't provide that for me. Looks like they have quite a few unhappy customers judging by the 2.9 out of 5 stars rating.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 08:40 AM
To the question, when I was in college, I got SBC internet because they ran some promotion or something. Hated it. Kept it a year, cussed at A LOT of reps.

I had to watch my bill very closely because 4 or 5 times they'd charge me for shit I didn't want no matter what I said.

Never worked. They could never fix it. Hated it. Awful.

They do that, too. We have had that happen a time or two. Same with my coworker.

jidar
06-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Last week I tested the speed ok at the NID for a gal and my job should've been done. She complained some more so I tested it at the jack ok. She still said it was the companies trouble. I tested it with my laptop off the wireless router she bought off Ebay and the speed was still good. She wouldn't admit that she probably had viruses, spyware, etc... on her PC. So she canceled her service and is going to try the other company in town and have the same results. But the damage has been done. She's already told all her friends that my company sucks. That reflects back on me and the work I do and I take it very personal.

This is exactly true. I've worked as a network engineer in the industry for about 12 years.

As the network engineer I have the ability to view the traffic going to and from a given customer on demand, and vast majority of the time I've ever had a customer get through the support chain up to me about speed issues it's been virus or trojan related. I am 100% sure of this because I can view the network traffic raw and see the virus activity myself (something support people simply cannot do).

Nobody ever thinks their computer or home equipment sucks, but yet they run a malware scanner, get 1200 hits, and forget about it by the next day and start claiming they've got a shitty isp again. I'd be absolutely shocked if more than half the people in this thread actually had legitimate problems.

rageeumr
06-16-2009, 08:46 AM
I have Uverse. TV and internet both are subject to random failure. I only DVR 3 or 4 TV shows but at least once a month I have to D/L a copy of the show from the internet because the TV was out when the show was on.

Internet is probably up 95% of the time, but that 5% sure is frustrating.

Plus the HD is inferior to Comcast, in my opinion. But Comcast was charging me 20% more per month for less channels, and I had TV outage issues with them as well. I just can't win.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 08:47 AM

What I am paying ATT for phone and internet was around $70 per month plus taxes and surcharges. It ended up costing me somewhere in the upper 70s price range. Cox is charging me $83 per month for digital phone and (up to) 9.0 Mbps internet. The first 6 months, however, I got a couple of promotion specials. Which means that my bill will be $44 per month for 6 months. :)

Lzen
06-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Have at&t yahoo dsl, always has been perfect. maybe 1 outage for a few min ever. in 2 years.

I would have said the same thing until about 6-9 months ago. Since that time, it has been nothing but trouble.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Heh, around 1 or just under is not acceptable. Plus, having the connection go in and out at times really puts a damper on my online gaming or watching Netflix instant movies.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 08:53 AM

I dont have many options where i live. SO its either AT and T or Comcast. Comcast is alot more stable and alot faster, problem is, its alot more expensive, but what choice do i have? there is no way i can go back to dial up. haha

I hear ya. The only options we have are ATT dsl or Cox cable internet.** Part of the reason I always stayed with ATT (or SBC before they were bought by ATT) was that Cox was significantly higher in price. But with the bundle package I got, the price difference won't be much at all.

** Well, there is also satellite (Hughes) but that would make online gaming pretty much impossible.

rockymtnchief
06-16-2009, 08:55 AM
As the network engineer I have the ability to view the traffic going to and from a given customer on demand...

I can do the same thing. The problem, around here, is that nobody will take your word for it unless you're standing in their living room showing it to them on your laptop. Then half of them still think you're trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 08:56 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/496879481.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I have the 3mbps service.

See, that is about where mine should be. And I would have been fine with that.

Deberg_1990
06-16-2009, 08:57 AM
From CP, Ive learned there is never going to be a perfect Internet/Cable/Cell phone provider.

We all have different experiences and varying degrees of customer service.

It all depends on where you live and your own personal viewpoint.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 08:58 AM
I got the ATT U-Verse, VOIP local phone and I-Phone wireless services and couldn't be happier. DSL sucks.

My buddy across town has U-Verse and couldn't be happier. But it is not available on my side of town yet. He thinks that my problems could be related to the fiber optic lines they have been installing for U-Verse. /shrug

Deberg_1990
06-16-2009, 09:01 AM

0 under 30.....

The current TV/Cable business model is outdated and failing.

Something is going to have to change.

It needs to move to more of an "on demand" type of thing.

They need to stop charging people for 300 channels when they only watch 20. Move to an ala carte system.

rockymtnchief
06-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Cox is charging me $83 per month for digital phone and (up to) 9.0 Mbps internet. The first 6 months, however, I got a couple of promotion specials. Which means that my bill will be $44 per month for 6 months. :)
That's pretty impressive, compared to here. We're pretty remote (72 miles from any city) so we don't have the volume of subscribers to offer prices like that.
IIRC, we're $75 for unlimited long distance (lower 48) and 756 kbps. VERY slow compared to what you're getting. Of course, you can pay more for up 3 meg. But that's the trade off for living in a cabin in the woods.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Heh.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/496921943.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

:LOL:

Hell, I just ran a speedtest here at my work (not gonna post it, though) and got 30Mbps d/l and just over 6Mbps u/l with 36 ms ping. Wish I had that kind of bandwidth at home. :)

Lzen
06-16-2009, 09:07 AM
This is exactly true. I've worked as a network engineer in the industry for about 12 years.

As the network engineer I have the ability to view the traffic going to and from a given customer on demand, and vast majority of the time I've ever had a customer get through the support chain up to me about speed issues it's been virus or trojan related. I am 100% sure of this because I can view the network traffic raw and see the virus activity myself (something support people simply cannot do).

Nobody ever thinks their computer or home equipment sucks, but yet they run a malware scanner, get 1200 hits, and forget about it by the next day and start claiming they've got a shitty isp again. I'd be absolutely shocked if more than half the people in this thread actually had legitimate problems.

Well, since the problems show up in my Xbox 360 as well as my computers, I'd say that is not the problem.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 09:10 AM
The current TV/Cable business model is outdated and failing.

Something is going to have to change.

It needs to move to more of an "on demand" type of thing.

They need to stop charging people for 300 channels when they only watch 20. Move to an ala carte system.

The only problem with the on demand stuff is that they charge too much.

Pestilence
06-16-2009, 09:13 AM
LOL....this is from work.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/497006880.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

rockymtnchief
06-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Well, since the problems show up in my Xbox 360 as well as my computers, I'd say that is not the problem.

I don't think jidar or myself meant that was YOUR problem. Just throwing the info out there for anyone having trouble with speeds. There's so many variables that can effect your speed.

IMO, AT&T sounds like they have the problem in your case.

I just had to throw my 2 cents in since you said, "of course" in your OP. I don't want people thinking that it's ALWAYS with the phone/cable companies network. There's a few things a subscriber can troubleshoot before finger pointing. And trust me, I get pointed at daily:mad:

Also had the phone line go out once during the past few months time. The phone line problem ended up being on their end, of course.

jidar
06-16-2009, 09:29 AM

The problems your computer(s) is causing on the connection would affect all Internet devices in your house...
well unless you don't have anything else plugged into your equipment at the time anyway.

Inspector
06-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I hear ya. The only options we have are ATT dsl or Cox cable internet.** Part of the reason I always stayed with ATT (or SBC before they were bought by ATT) was that Cox was significantly higher in price. But with the bundle package I got, the price difference won't be much at all.

** Well, there is also satellite (Hughes) but that would make online gaming pretty much impossible.

Minor detail....SBC bought AT&T. Many years ago - pre 1984, AT&T was the parent company until a nice friendly judge named Greene decided to smash the company to smithereens with AT&T and the baby bells all being seperate companies. Then, a couple of years ago SBC bought AT&T and now they are in the same family again.

And they all lived happily ever after. The End.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 09:40 AM
The problems your computer(s) is causing on the connection would affect all Internet devices in your house...
well unless you don't have anything else plugged into your equipment at the time anyway.

Well, if the computer is off and I still have problems, I would guess that it has nothing to do with my computer. Wouldn't you agree? Plus, I can see the signal go out on my modem.

Also, I regularly run spyware detection and have good antivirus software. And my browser doesn't have all those security holes as IE.

Katipan
06-16-2009, 09:43 AM

Cox packages everything so that for my entire adult life I've paid around $80. Doesn't fucking matter what options I have. Cable with Internet. Cable with no Internet. Cable with phone. Internet with cable and phone. Always packaged so I pay $80. So now I have tons of channels I don't watch and tons of on demand that I don't watch and I burn my retinas on the Internet all day at work and end up usually stealing free internet at home so I can sit on the couch with my PSP.

$80 is like a fucking bag of weed.

Deberg_1990
06-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Cox packages everything so that for my entire adult life I've paid around $80. Doesn't ****ing matter what options I have. Cable with Internet. Cable with no Internet. Cable with phone. Internet with cable and phone. Always packaged so I pay $80. So now I have tons of channels I don't watch and tons of on demand that I don't watch and I burn my retinas on the Internet all day at work and end up usually stealing free internet at home so I can sit on the couch with my PSP.

$80 is like a ****ing bag of weed.

This is why more and more people are dumping the TV portion and keeping internet.

People are tired of paying for channels they dont watch. What they really want to watch they can download or stream from various internet sites.

The TV business model needs to change or they are going to end up like newspapers.

jidar
06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
btw, If you're getting disconnected from Xbox Live over the past week or two (especially since last weekend) that's a Live problem. I've been disconnected probably a couple of dozen times in the past week.

Hrm... actually I just saw a news article that Xbox Live is undergoing maintenance for the next 24 hours, so hopefully this is about to be fixed.

Saulbadguy
06-16-2009, 10:22 AM
:LOL:

Hell, I just ran a speedtest here at my work (not gonna post it, though) and got 30Mbps d/l and just over 6Mbps u/l with 36 ms ping. Wish I had that kind of bandwidth at home. :)

10:00 AM is prime working time.

8:00 AM, everyone is getting to work and checking the news and such.

Lzen
06-16-2009, 10:26 AM
10:00 AM is prime working time.

8:00 AM, everyone is getting to work and checking the news and such.

10am is my break time. ;)

Saulbadguy
06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
10am is my break time. ;)

From what I see, break time is 9:30 to 11:30...

;)

Lzen
06-16-2009, 10:33 AM
From what I see, break time is 9:30 to 11:30...

;)

Lol. Well, all my work is caught up for now. So, I'm just passing the time. ;) I might have some more by this afternoon. That's the way it goes around here. ;)

Skip Towne
06-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, they are fighting back. I called and told them to cancel my phone and leave the DSL on. A dry loop. Simple, right? Not so much. I woke up this morning and had no DSL but the phone was still on. The exact opposite of what I wanted. So I called back and bitched and was told they would come out the 22nd and fix it. I said nay, I get my work orders by email and can't wait that long. After 3 hours of being bounced around, they gave me free dial-up till the 22nd. Whoop de do. I think they do this on purpose to discourage disconnects. Fuck them.

Saulbadguy
06-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Well, they are fighting back. I called and told them to cancel my phone and leave the DSL on. A dry loop. Simple, right? Not so much. I woke up this morning and had no DSL but the phone was still on. The exact opposite of what I wanted. So I called back and bitched and was told they would come out the 22nd and fix it. I said nay, I get my work orders by email and can't wait that long. After 3 hours of being bounced around, they gave me free dial-up till the 22nd. Whoop de do. I think they do this on purpose to discourage disconnects. Fuck them.

Free dial up? That's a slap in the face.

stumppy
06-17-2009, 10:23 PM
I guess mines alright. Doesn't seem too bad considering I live in the armpit of Missouri.

Skip Towne
06-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Free dial up? That's a slap in the face.

No shit. I can't believe how slooow it is. Considering most of my 64,000 posts were accumulated with this, I must be a genious.

Guru
06-17-2009, 11:07 PM
What I am paying ATT for phone and internet was around $70 per month plus taxes and surcharges. It ended up costing me somewhere in the upper 70s price range. Cox is charging me $83 per month for digital phone and (up to) 9.0 Mbps internet. The first 6 months, however, I got a couple of promotion specials. Which means that my bill will be $44 per month for 6 months. :)I'm paying $52 per month for basic phone and DSL 1.5

Cox doesn't have anything that will touch that.

greg63
06-18-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm paying $52 per month for basic phone and DSL 1.5

I started out with DSL many moons ago, but was having consistent connectivity problems. I've had my fair share of connectivity problems with Cox too, but not for quite a while though.

Guru
06-18-2009, 01:14 AM
I started out with DSL many moons ago, but was having consistent connectivity problems. I've had my fair share of connectivity problems with Cox too, but not for quite a while though.What do you expect? You live in a black hole.

greg63
06-18-2009, 01:16 AM
What do you expect? You live in a black hole.

Ugh, don't remind me.

Kerberos
06-18-2009, 07:47 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/498538567.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

BigMeatballDave
06-18-2009, 08:03 AM

Cox doesn't have anything that will touch that.:eek: Thats what I pay for basic phone and DSL 6mb.

Lzen
06-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Well, they are fighting back. I called and told them to cancel my phone and leave the DSL on. A dry loop. Simple, right? Not so much. I woke up this morning and had no DSL but the phone was still on. The exact opposite of what I wanted. So I called back and bitched and was told they would come out the 22nd and fix it. I said nay, I get my work orders by email and can't wait that long. After 3 hours of being bounced around, they gave me free dial-up till the 22nd. Whoop de do. I think they do this on purpose to discourage disconnects. **** them.

I think they do this because they are incompetent.

Lzen
06-18-2009, 08:17 AM

That is cheap. You must have a very, very basic phone service. I had caller ID, call waiting, voice mail, and some other features. And I had upgraded my DSL to 3.0 Mbps last year. 1.5 was getting to be just a little too slow for what I needed/wanted.

As a bonus in all of this:
I was told by ATT that I needed to call Dish Network so that they would stop bundling my bill with the ATT bill. While on the phone, they gave me 3 free months of HBO and Showtime. And they will automatically disconnect it after those 3 months. :)

Consistent1
06-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I was curious to test mine during the daytime hours. This is what I got this morning. Actually a little better than the one from the other night.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/498592375.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I just looked it up, this service costs $42.95. I don't think that is too bad for what you get. They have even still kept that 250 gig monthly limit the same, so can't complain about that part YET. Haha, It will probably change soon enough.

Lzen
06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Ha ha, blow me, ATT.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/503298564.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Guru
06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
:eek: Thats what I pay for basic phone and DSL 6mb.We don't have ANY extra features on our phone though. No voice mail or caller ID.

pr_capone
06-24-2009, 08:45 PM
This is the middle of the road service from Cox.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/503304492.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-24-2009, 08:48 PM
That is cheap. You must have a very, very basic phone service. I had caller ID, call waiting, voice mail, and some other features. And I had upgraded my DSL to 3.0 Mbps last year. 1.5 was getting to be just a little too slow for what I needed/wanted.

As a bonus in all of this:
I was told by ATT that I needed to call Dish Network so that they would stop bundling my bill with the ATT bill. While on the phone, they gave me 3 free months of HBO and Showtime. And they will automatically disconnect it after those 3 months. :)
LOL, suuuuure they will.

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2009, 09:04 PM
We don't have ANY extra features on our phone though. No voice mail or caller ID.No extras on my phone either. I wanted to cancel my phone and just keep my DSL, but they said I'd have to be without internet for 3 days while they re-ordered it. Stupid.

Simplex3
06-24-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd kill for the upload speeds some of you are getting.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/503322490.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Guru
06-24-2009, 11:49 PM
No extras on my phone either. I wanted to cancel my phone and just keep my DSL, but they said I'd have to be without internet for 3 days while they re-ordered it. Stupid.Wish I had your service then. heh

JOhn
06-25-2009, 12:03 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/503378668.png (http://www.speedtest.net)http://www.speedtest.net/result/503380081.png (http://www.speedtest.net)http://www.speedtest.net/result/503381266.png (http://www.speedtest.net)