PDA

View Full Version : KU Withey told to Eat Up!

Mr. Laz
06-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Posted on Mon, Jun. 15, 2009 11:04 PM

KU wants Withey to bulk up the Jayhawks’ frontcourt

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH
The Kansas City Star

<SCRIPT language=Javascript>function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }</SCRIPT><!-- photo or image available --><!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/06/15/23/965-withey_sp_061009_jpb_018f_06-16-2009_B61A2CNR.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/06/15/23/223-withey_sp_061009_jpb_018f_06-16-2009_B61A2CNR.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)
JIM BARCUS/Kansas City Star
Eating has been KU redshirt freshman center
Jeff Withey’s main activity this summer. The
Jayhawks have Withey taking in 3,500 calories
a day.
<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp --><!-- Commenting out fact box for Jody Cox --><!-- /mi/pubsys/story/asset_list, include_asset_type=>"factbox" -->

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>$(document).ready(function() { replaceRelated(159);});</SCRIPT>
LAWRENCE | Sometimes Jeff Withey’s new job gets him down. Maybe it’s the second omelet at breakfast, or the second protein shake in the afternoon, or the third steak at dinner. Or maybe it’s being a sophomore in college and receiving constant supervision from his bosses.

At Kansas, they aren’t taking any chances with Withey, the 7-foot string-bean center who will be eligible to play basketball in late December as a redshirt freshman. His job is to eat and to do it so prolifically that he will have put on 35 pounds of muscle mass in a calendar year.

“My interpretation of fun,” Withey said, “is sitting around the house, maybe playing video games, eating a pizza, or going out to a bar, eating wings and watching a game. Always eating.”

A college kid’s dream, right? Well, sure, if you’re a frat boy whose ambition is to win the flag football intramural league. Withey’s extreme eating is so intense that he has had to remind himself that he’s still just a kid.

“It’s a pretty stressful time right now,” Withey said, “because I know I have to put on a lot more weight before I’m able to play.”

When Withey announced his intention to transfer from Arizona to KU last year on Christmas Eve, he was surprisingly not all that big of a stocking stuffer for Kansas coach Bill Self. Withey weighed just 210 pounds. He now hovers around 230 but has been told he needs to be around 245 by December. Thing is, Withey will have to weigh even more than that by summer’s end to have a realistic shot of leveling out at that magic number.

“I’m OK if he gets a little chubby,” said Andrea Hudy, KU assistant athletics director for sport performance. “He’s going to lose it once the season starts, then he’ll lean up and he’ll be in shape by the time the Big 12 season comes around, which is what we want.”

For Withey, there is little confusion about what the bosses want.

“The coaches are, in a way, obsessed with it,” Withey said.

Withey understands their urgency. The Jayhawks are widely being projected as the preseason No. 1 team in the country next season, and Cole Aldrich could use a true center like Withey to back him up. Withey has not played in an organized game since his senior year of high school at Horizon High in San Diego.

Self got to see Withey practice during the second half of last season, but he’ll need to see more this fall to be sure Withey can break his four-man big man rotation.

“I saw inconsistencies,” Self said. “I saw a player that you can see has a lot of ability. He’s skilled, he’s got some range, he can really block and alter shots. Then I also saw a guy who physically needs to get stronger, a guy whose motor doesn’t run as fast as it should all the time, a guy who would take some possessions off. From our perspective, the year he sat was a good year for him.”

Still, despite the deficiencies Withey showed, Self is factoring him into his plans for 2009-10. Self imagines a dependable Withey could allow Marcus Morris to play small forward. Self even threw out the idea of playing incoming freshman Xavier Henry at shooting guard with Morris at the No. 3 slot.

“Jeff is a guy that gives us a lot of versatility,” Self said, “because he allows our most versatile player, Marcus, to play multiple positions.”

Of course, all of these ideas are thrown out the window if Withey is unable to follow through on his end of the deal. So, yes, the big guy is a bit stressed these days.

“The coaches would be really disappointed,” Withey said. “I think I can help out a lot next year. Cole needs time to sit down and rest.”

Playing against Aldrich in practice last spring showed Withey how important increasing his strength would be for him to compete at the highest level. He has always known he’d have to get stronger, but he didn’t start lifting weights until the latter half of his high school career.
At Arizona, Withey said he was encouraged to put on weight, but the staff there left it up to him most of the time.

“Coaches are on me more here,” Withey said, “watching me a lot closer and making sure I’m doing everything right. Here, they’re right on my back and if I don’t do it, I get punished. It’s not running or anything like that …”

No, running would be counterproductive to the goal, and Hudy would not stand for that. All spring, Hudy met Withey each morning for breakfast at the Burge Union to make sure he was eating the right foods. Withey is supposed to eat more than 3,500 calories per day.

“It’s a constant effort to try to get him to eat enough food,” Hudy said. “Even after games, we had shakes, and he didn’t play. We were always trying to push food on him.”

Hudy said Withey’s time is managed in more detail than any other player.
“He wants to have a future in basketball, so he’s all right with it,” Hudy said. “We’re trying to teach him how to put on weight and maintain it.”
A minor complication is the fact that Withey is still growing.

“At the end of the season, I felt like I was growing a little bit more,” Withey said. “I was eating a ton and wasn’t gaining weight. The doorways seemed a little bit smaller. I might have an inch or two left in me. I have no idea.”

As long as Withey’s waist expands an inch or two in accordance, he should be OK.

“I kind of feel sick from eating so much,” Withey said. “It’s all about sacrificing.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1254034.html

Brock
06-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Hay, whare you been?

Jilly
06-16-2009, 10:09 AM
LAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buehler445
06-16-2009, 10:17 AM
You guys missed him last night. I did a little "Laz is back" dance.

Damn good to see you back, brother.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
LAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Honey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1283/gemmaatkinson054.jpg

Jilly
06-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Honey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1283/gemmaatkinson054.jpg

I MISSED YOU!!!!!!! I feel like I can breathe again.

CoMoChief
06-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Still, despite the deficiencies Withey showed, Self is factoring him into his plans for 2009-10. Self imagines a dependable Withey could allow Marcus Morris to play small forward. Self even threw out the idea of playing incoming freshman Xavier Henry at shooting guard with Morris at the No. 3 slot.

WTF?!?!?

Lzen
06-16-2009, 10:31 AM

WTF?!?!?

Self knows what he is doing. Trust in the Bill.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Dammit Lazarus! You got some serious babe posting make up work to do!

jidar
06-16-2009, 10:53 AM
This is the one area that I could outclass a Division 1 athlete in.

Dartgod
06-16-2009, 11:04 AM
I keep reading this as "Whitey" told to eat up.

Thought it was a Gates BBQ thread. :shrug:

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
06-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Self knows what he is doing. Trust in the Bill.

Good luck convincing como of that; besides why shouldn't you question a National Championship winning coach who is likely to win another this year?

BWillie
06-16-2009, 02:40 PM

WTF?!?!?

Yeah, I have no idea how Marcus Morris can be an effective three man unless he undergoes some sort of transformation in the off season. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I didn't see it last year. It Julian couldn't really play the 3, I don't know how Marcus can.

JD10367
06-16-2009, 02:58 PM

Thought it was a Gates BBQ thread. :shrug:

I work in a dark room and have poor eyesight. I thought it said, "Whitney told to eat up". I thought, "Well, sure, she's a washed-up skinny crack whore, I would think Whitney Houston should be told to put on weight..." :shrug:

KCChiefsMan
06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I bet most athletes take in a 3,500 calorie a day diet.

CoMoChief
06-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Good luck convincing como of that; besides why shouldn't you question a National Championship winning coach who is likely to win another this year?

Having a power forward play 3-man is just stupid, unless Morris learned how to shoot and can handle the ball better. If JuJu couldnt do it......no ****ing way Morris can.

BWillie
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I bet most athletes take in a 3,500 calorie a day diet.

I sit at a desk and get yelled at all day and take in 4500. Ah, the life of being a hard gainer. If I was in Withey's shoes, I'd have to eat even more to gain weight.

Mr. Krab
06-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Isn't Markief the power forward and Marcus the small forward/wing type guy?

BWillie
06-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Isn't Markief the power forward and Marcus the small forward/wing type guy?

Both played the post last year. I bet they set the team record for the most 15 foot airballs, but they seem pretty good at the spot up three.

Mr. Krab
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Both played the post last year. I bet they set the team record for the most 15 foot airballs, but they seem pretty good at the spot up three.I thought i remembered something about Self wanting Markief to put on weight for the low post but Marcus was keeping slimmer and was free work outside more. At least i thought so.

Zebedee DuBois
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM

Thought it was a Gates BBQ thread.
I work in a dark room and have poor eyesight. I thought it said, "Whitney told to eat up". I thought, "Well, sure, she's a washed-up skinny crack whore, I would think Whitney Houston should be told to put on weight..." :shrug:

I work in a room with a flickering fluorescent light and need reading glasses. I also thought it said, "Whitney told to eat up" - but thought they were talking about Eli Whitney, inventor of Cotton Gin, an excellent drink with tonic water, but it leaves your mouth feeling awfully dry, and thought, "No shit, he's dead and just a pile of bones, he could definitely use more weight..." :shrug:

Skip Towne
06-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Self will have him looking like Aldrich in a year or so.

BWillie
06-16-2009, 09:07 PM
I thought i remembered something about Self wanting Markief to put on weight for the low post but Marcus was keeping slimmer and was free work outside more. At least i thought so.

Yeah, ideally I think Self would want Marcus to play the three if he can acquire those skills. Maybe it's wishful thinking. It would be nice if Marcus could be a reliable SF next year, move Henry over to the 2 if he doesn't jet to Kentucky now that there is no Meeks..

banyon
06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
I just watched "Supersize Me" for the first time last week. I think 9 McDonald's triple cheeseburgers a day for 3 months should do the trick.

ChiefMojo
06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Actually both Morris twins are good shooters, but for some reason they just didn't shoot the greatest last season. In high school they jacked up 3's like it was going out of style and made a good % of them. Marcus actually came to KU to be a WF, but had to play PF last season out of need. Supposedly he is the most improved player this off-season and both twins have gained a lot of muscle.

BWillie
06-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Actually both Morris twins are good shooters, but for some reason they just didn't shoot the greatest last season. In high school they jacked up 3's like it was going out of style and made a good % of them. Marcus actually came to KU to be a WF, but had to play PF last season out of need. Supposedly he is the most improved player this off-season and both twins have gained a lot of muscle.

Have you ever seen one of the Morris twins make a shot between the 3 point line and outside of five feet? I haven't. If Marcus can hit any sort of midrange shot than maybe he could do it but he had so many airballs last year it was strange for a decent three point shooter.

DeezNutz
06-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Does that mean he grew a brain?

Most of his problems last year weren't of the physical variety.