PDA

View Full Version : Poop T-Bones Game Atmosphere?

Dayze
06-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Anyone ever been to a T-bones game?
Iím considering attending a game in the next month or so and wanted to hear what the atmosphere, gameplay, etc were like.

Are the T-bones an amateur team? Or minor league etc? Probably dumb questions, but I go to baseball games about once every 3 years (not much of a baseball fan as you can tell).

Old Dog
06-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Independant league
Roughly equates to high-A ball if I'm not mistaken

I've never been to a game there though

Dayze
06-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Independant league
Roughly equates to high-A ball if I'm not mistaken

I've never been to a game there though

what does "High - A" ball mean?

no sarcasm there...I seriously don't know. :D

Old Dog
06-16-2009, 11:38 AM
just below double a level but above normal A

Dayze
06-16-2009, 11:41 AM
so what would be just before MLB.....AAA?
or vice-versa?

Deberg_1990
06-16-2009, 11:43 AM
just below double a level but above normal A

So do these guys ever make it to the MLB level?

Or is it just an independent league for guys who are decent, but not quite good enough to be future MLB players??

Old Dog
06-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Different levels:
Major league
AAA
AA
High A
A
Short rookie

The independant leagues (not affiliated with a major league team) are normally not heavily scouted and generally, though not always would fall somewere between A and AA.

Dayze
06-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Different levels:
Major league
AAA
AA
High A
A
Short rookie

The independant leagues (not affiliated with a major league team) are normally not heavily scouted and generally, though not always would fall somewere between A and AA.

Cool thanks. Rep.

Old Dog
06-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Or is it just an independent league for guys who are decent, but not quite good enough to be future MLB players??

The vast majority don't make it, but there are some. Many (again there are always exceptions) are guys who have been around for a while and were cut loose by the organization they were affiliated with. Sometimes you will have a former major leaguer trying to get back to the show.

Deberg_1990
06-16-2009, 11:49 AM
The vast majority don't make it, but there are some. Many (again there are always exceptions) are guys who have been around for a while and were cut loose by the organization they were affiliated with. Sometimes you will have a former major leaguer trying to get back to the show.

Interesting...

Now that i think about it, i remember JD Drew playing in one of these leagues like 10 years ago before he came up with the Cards.

sedated
06-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Its independent, so you won't know anyone on either team. And its not even minor league, so there won't be any future stars. Usually these teams sign some over the hill local guy to draw a few real baseball fans (Ken Harvey last year)

They have "entertainment" between the innings, but nothing that a major league team doesn't do. The one I can recall was some guy trying to throw rubber chickens onto a grill in order to win money.

I've been twice and didn't like it very much. Its an okay ballpark I guess, small enough that you get close to action you can't at the majors (you can stand right over the bullpens, a few feet away from the guys throwing, and the bullpen guys play games with the crowd).

But the concessions weren't as cheap as everyone talked about. And the game is absolutely without consequence, so basically you go to a game and pay attention to everything EXCEPT the game. I thought it was brutally boring.

Mine was through work, so I got my free food and 2 free drinks and got the hell outta there and went to Legends.

sedated
06-16-2009, 11:51 AM
I think the players actually sign with the team and then have a sponsor family in the area that they stay with during the season. I believe NZoner hosted a couple of T-bones guys last year.

Mojo Jojo
06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
There are a few guys who have been in the Majors, and are older just living out the dream. Others are young guys not in any organization, but looking to impress someone and get a better minor league deal.

The games are fun to go to. Lots of silly promotions, not taking the event or the game too serious. It is just a good time for all.

Old Dog
06-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Was curious so I had to look it up: There are currently 15 in the majors were in the independent league.

Blatantly stoled from the Northern league website:

PITCHERS (10)--Craig Breslow, Minnesota (New Jersey, Northeast League)
Tim Byrdak, Houston (Gary, IN and Joliet, IL, Northern League)
Mark DiFelice, Milwaukee (Somerset and Camden, NJ, Atlantic League)
Chris Jakubauskas, Seattle (Lincoln, NE, American Association, Orange County, Fullerton, CA, Golden League, and Florence, KY and Ohio Valley, Frontier League)
Josh Kinney, St. Louis (River City, O’Fallon, MO, Frontier)
Edwar Ramirez, New York-AL (Pensacola, FL, Central League, and Edinburg, TX, United League)
Scott Richmond, Toronto (Edmonton, Alberta, Northern)
Max Scherzer (DL), Arizona (Fort Worth, TX, American Association)
George Sherrill, Baltimore (Evansville, IN, Frontier, Winnipeg and Sioux Falls, SD, Northern League)
Brad Ziegler, Oakland (Schaumburg, IL, Northern).

CATCHERS (2)
Chris Coste, Philadelphia (Fargo, Northern, Brainerd, MN, North Central League, Brandon, Manitoba, Prairie League)
Mike Rivera, Milwaukee (Atlantic City, NJ, Atlantic).

INFIELDERS (2) Stephen Drew, Arizona (Camden, Atlantic)
Kevin Millar, Toronto (St. Paul, MN, Northern).

OUTFIELDER (1)--*J.D. Drew, Boston (St. Paul, Northern).

Demonpenz
06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
if you are left handed pitcher you have a chance at the majors

Dayze
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
i guess the ticket prices are what make it a little more attractive. That, and considering I don't know sh*t about the Royals or their players anyway etc.

Plus, the Royals blow pipe so it's like watching the T-Bones anyway lol.

BigRedChief
06-16-2009, 12:32 PM
They always have $1.00 hot dogs. Been out there 3 times to games. It was fun and cheap. They go way out of their way to keep you entertained. Now the quality of baseball...not so good but you get what you pay for.

Dayze
06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks; thatís good info.

Since I donít know squat about baseball strategy etc; and the fact I would have no idea if Iím witnessing good or bad baseball (other than the scoreboard)ÖI think the T-Bones would be a good deal. Seems extremely reasonable for a night of entertainment etc.

blazzin311
06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Wasn't Aaron Crowe pitching in the independent league this year too, in Texas, I think?

Old Dog
06-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Wasn't Aaron Crowe pitching in the independent league this year too, in Texas, I think?

Indeed

Jilly
06-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Ken Harvey played on T-Bones last year.

I happen to love the games....great stadium, lots to do around it and it's all close up. Not really any bad seats. I think it's a lot of fun. Wizards are fun there as well.

sedated
06-16-2009, 01:13 PM
great stadium, lots to do around it and it's all close up. Not really any bad seats.

the stadium is great for the family atmosphere.

the outfield has a playground for the kids, as well as a grassy knoll for people to lay down or have a picnic-type thing.

and no matter where you are, you are close to the action.

blaise
06-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Interesting...

Now that i think about it, i remember JD Drew playing in one of these leagues like 10 years ago before he came up with the Cards.

I could be mistaken, but I think Drew was there because he got drafted by the Phillies, wouldn't sign a contract with them and so needed somewhere to play for a year before being eligible to be drafted again. You see guys do that sometimes. Hochevar did it too I think. They don't have college eligibility, they aren't part of an organization and so don't play in their minor leagues, and so they play indepenedent ball.

Mojo Jojo
06-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I could be mistaken, but I think Drew was there because he got drafted by the Phillies, wouldn't sign a contract with them and so needed somewhere to play for a year before being eligible to be drafted again. You see guys do that sometimes. Hochevar did it too I think. They don't have college eligibility, they aren't part of an organization and so don't play in their minor leagues, and so they play indepenedent ball.

Just like Aaron Crowe.

leviw
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Plus, the Royals blow pipe so it's like watching the T-Bones anyway lol.

Since I donít know squat about baseball strategy etc; and the fact I would have no idea if Iím witnessing good or bad baseball (other than the scoreboard)Ö

ROFL

Dayze
06-16-2009, 03:24 PM
you laugh, but I'm serious. I'm clueless with baseball lol
other than 3 outs, 9 innings, 4 balls = walk 3 strikes = out etc..

RJ
06-16-2009, 04:22 PM
if you are left handed pitcher you have a chance at the majors

Not only that, but you can pitch until you're eligible to begin collecting social security.

Joie
06-16-2009, 05:53 PM
We usually take the kids at least once a year. It's alot of fun and a helluva lot cheaper than taking them to Kauffman. It'll never replace going out to a Royals game though.

schneider221
06-16-2009, 06:24 PM
There are many independent leagues across the country and the one the T-bones play in is very low quality compared to the ones the first round draft picks often play in.

Sure-Oz
06-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Last year i went and it was fun, cheap food etc....saw bo hart hit a HR and ken harvey injure himself just standing

Farzin
06-17-2009, 12:00 AM

Well, one MLB player, Ken Harvey, made it to the low level.

In all seriousness, I've never been to a T-Bones game, however, the stadium is really neat (I've been there for Wizards games and I personally wish the Wizards could stay in the ball park.) It's right next to the legends. Usually before a Wizards game, my family or friends and I go eat and relax at the Legends, then go to the stadium and watch the game for the rest of the night.

Many people have told me that un-like Royals games, T-Bones games bring fun for the family. Not quite sure entirely what that means. I guess you'd have to go to find out.

Go to the game. I'm sure you'll love it.

burt
06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
I enjoyed the T-Bones, and haven't enjoyed the Royals in years.

ChiefsNWildcats
06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Just like Aaron Crowe.

And Luke Hochevar

leviw
06-17-2009, 01:15 PM
you laugh, but I'm serious. I'm clueless with baseball lol
other than 3 outs, 9 innings, 4 balls = walk 3 strikes = out etc..

That's kind of my point. How can you say the Royals "blow pipe" when, admittedly, you are clueless about baseball?

Dayze
06-21-2009, 08:27 PM
That's kind of my point. How can you say the Royals "blow pipe" when, admittedly, you are clueless about baseball?

:)
good point.