PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bob Gretz: OTA 6/16

Mr. Arrowhead
06-16-2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ota-update-616.html#more-9201

OTA Update 6/16
June 16, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

The Chiefs organized off-season worked ended Tuesday, as head coach Todd Haley put his team through a conditioning test and then dismissed them until July 30th when they head to training camp in Wisconsin.

There were two more OTA sessions scheduled for Wednesdsay and Thursday, but Haley was pleased with the progress and work that his players had gotten done in the last three months. He and his coaching staff decided to allow an early exit for the team.

“This wasn’t pre-meditated,” said Haley, the guy who is supposed to be so mean and nasty to players. “We made a lot of progress overall … we’ve come a long way in strength and conditioning and I think we’ve come a long way schematically and guys understanding what they have to do.

“We as a staff felt like it was the right thing to do for the guys.”

The conditioning test has the players run 50 yards three consecutive times, then a one-minute break, then 50 yards three more times, a one-minute break, and then 50 yards three more times. The little guys like defensive backs and wide receivers have to run under 55 seconds. The running backs, tight ends, quarterbacks, linebackers have to do it in 58 seconds and the big boys on the offensive and defensive line get 62 seconds.

They will have to pass it again on the first day of training camp before they are able to practice.

“It’s like an albatross hanging over them for the next month,” Haley said. “Training camp is hot, we need these guys in shape.”

Haley indicated the large majority of players passed the test, something they were not able to do back at the start of the team’s strength and conditioning program. He said all but one of the rookies on the roster passed the test, including CB Donald Washington who has been with the team just two days.

“We’ve got a long way to go, but from where we started to where we are at right now, I think the guys really worked hard every day and we had such good attendance, it was worth throwing them a bone and let them get out of here,” said Haley.

Haley and his staff were concerned that another handful of practices would not bring more progress at this time.

“Was it going to start to be diminishing returns,” Haley said. “These guys started early, they’ve been working really hard and I just thought it was worth the sacrifice.”

The rookies will spend the next 10 days or so around the facility working with the strength and conditioning staff and also some assistant coaches will work with them. There’s a handful of veterans that will be there as well.

For the others, it was heading home for vacation, or simply changing their location for workouts. The coaching staff itself will soon take a holiday.

Count Zarth
06-16-2009, 01:10 PM
“This wasn’t pre-meditated,” said Haley, the guy who is supposed to be so mean and nasty to players.

LOL

This is classic Gretz.

CoMoChief
06-16-2009, 01:31 PM
LOL

This is classic Gretz.

Whats so classic about it?

wasi
06-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I like the conditioning test drill, it teaches accountability and gives the coaches a chance to learn about the players before they put on pads.

I also think Brian Waters is in trouble come training camp.

Mr. Krab
06-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Whats so classic about it?Gretz taking a shot at the media.

JD10367
06-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Wow. Haley let them out early? That other thread was right, this guy's an asshole! :D

You can be a hard-ass, as long as you know when to be a soft-ass as well. Sounds like he knows the proper way to do it, like Belichick (who'll drive his team hard in training camp but do stuff like put a clumy O-lineman back for punt drill and tell the team that if he can cleanly field the punt he'll end the session early, LOL).

keg in kc
06-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Sometimes you have to give 'em the carrot, sometimes you have to give 'em the stick.

Detoxing
06-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Man. I wish i could be in that conditioning program. If the Chiefs don't come out looking like the dudes from "300", ima be disappointed.

Raised On Riots
06-16-2009, 05:53 PM
LOL

This is classic Gretz.

Was it a shot at Fatlock?

Raised On Riots
06-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Goddamnit; who runs sound at these pressers?! I can never hear the questions, and if you turn the volume up, the podium mic will blow your eardrum out!

Damnit Wendler; DO SOMETHING!

JohnnyV13
06-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I think Haley is emphasizing conditioning for the same reason Herb Brooks emphasized conditioning for the 1980 US hockey team. If you're overmatched talent wise, but are young, conditioning is the one thing you have going for you. This team lost a lot of games late that they could have won. Conditioning could get this team 3 extra wins.

Shaid
06-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Goddamnit; who runs sound at these pressers?! I can never hear the questions, and if you turn the volume up, the podium mic will blow your eardrum out!

Damnit Wendler; DO SOMETHING!

No shit. I can't stand that.

Raised On Riots
06-16-2009, 09:33 PM
No shit. I can't stand that.

"So Coach, whaa..wuh..waa..waa OTA's...waa..waa...waa"?
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/droolicious/2008/11/01-07/charlie%20brown%202.jpg

"WELL, WE CUT 'EM LOOSE TWO DAYS EARL-SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH"!!!

LMAO

BarrySPAMAID
06-17-2009, 12:04 AM
I think Haley is emphasizing conditioning for the same reason Herb Brooks emphasized conditioning for the 1980 US hockey team. If you're overmatched talent wise, but are young, conditioning is the one thing you have going for you. This team lost a lot of games late that they could have won. Conditioning could get this team 3 extra wins.

At least three, I say with the current condition of the AFC west, it's just flat wide open right now. This team has plenty of talent. If the coaching can be at a higher standard ( which I think Haley, and company should be ok ), and the players being able TO CLOSE in the 4th quarter, things are looking pretty good.

Raised On Riots
06-17-2009, 12:10 AM
At least three, I say with the current condition of the AFC west, it's just flat wide open right now. This team has plenty of talent. If the coaching can be at a higher standard ( which I think Haley, and company should be ok ), and the players being able TO CLOSE in the 4th quarter, things are looking pretty good.

I am excited to see Haley's Field Generalship. Marty could be SUCH a coward at the wrong time, and Herm had absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING of the energy/ebb and flow of the game around him.

I really, really believe Haley will be a GREAT on-field Coach.

BarrySPAMAID
06-17-2009, 12:15 AM
I am excited to see Haley's Field Generalship. Marty could be SUCH a coward at the wrong time, and Herm had absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING of the energy/ebb and flow of the game around him.

I really, really believe Haley will be a GREAT on-field Coach.
Me too. Add to that a halfway decent QB's coach, a new defense, and new DC, a new staff, better conditioning, more talent, veteran leadership to hold players accountable, and MATT CASSEL. This guy is going to be fun, and I just cant wait!!!