PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Making Tamales

Dinny Blues
06-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Got the arm roasts simmered and seperated from the broth. Beef is seasoned and ready to go in the frigidaire overnight along with the broth.

Tomorrow will grind the beef and make the masa dough. Gonna whip the lard and use the broth, etc.

Got the real corn husks and have made it most of the way through a sixer of Modelo especial Pale Ale.

Simmering some black bean chili to top the tamales.

Dinny

CHENZ A!
06-16-2009, 07:55 PM
I have always wanted to do this..Couple questions...

How many tamales are you making at once?

What's the lard for?

Once you assemble the tamales, what do you use to steam them in?

Can I have some?

RJ
06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Where is the red chili?

Please don't tell me you are making tamales and no red chili is involved.

Or, if you do tell me that, then you must also tell me how.

Dinny Blues
06-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I have always wanted to do this..Couple questions...

How many tamales are you making at once?

What's the lard for?

Once you assemble the tamales, what do you use to steam them in?

Can I have some?

I'm making as many tamales at once as I possibly can, but I am limited with that wacky only two hands thing.

The lard is mixed in with the masa dough to make it taste good.

I steam them in my steamer.

No. Unless you bring real good beer.

Dinny

Baconeater
06-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Man that sounds good, I'm sitting here eating chicken fingers and tater tots.

bevischief
06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
:BLVD:

RJ
06-16-2009, 08:17 PM
I love tamales and it's easy to find good ones in New Mexico. Around here, it wouldn't be Christmas without tamales and posole. I make my own red chili and posole but the tamales are a lot of work so I usually buy them frozen from one of the local markets or restaurants, though I will make them on occasion. In New Mexico we usually fill them with shredded pork that has been simmered in chili pods, garlic and onion.

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
my moms makes them every year around xmas, then again, everyone's mother makes them around xmas time. lol

They are so good, but i freaking hate sweet tamales, they are just nastyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Took these last year.... This was xmas day...

RJ
06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Dinny, you pour the black bean chili over the tamales?

What sort of seasonings do you cook your beef in? Do you simmer it or slow roast it?

RJ
06-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Wow, that looks so different from New Mexico tamales. Are they wrapped in masa? The second picture appears to be pork, posole and shredded cabbage?

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Wow, that looks so different from New Mexico tamales. Are they wrapped in masa? The second picture appears to be pork, posole and shredded cabbage?

Ya, wrapped in Masa. I opened it up, and the Posole is pork and cabbage. Pigs feet as well, but i dont eat that shit. so i left it out my bowl. lol You can put more stuff into it, but i just like it with cabbage hot sauce and lemon.

It would have looked different had i put everything in it.

RJ
06-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Ya, wrapped in Masa. I opened it up, and the Posole is pork and cabbage. Pigs feet as well, but i dont eat that shit. so i left it out my bowl. lol You can put more stuff into it, but i just like it with cabbage hot sauce and lemon.

It would have looked different had i put everything in it.

I always make my posole with pigs feet. Never heard of the cabbage thing. Is it raw, shredded cabbage added just before serving? Or is it cooked?

In New Mexico, we cook the posole with pigs feet, garlic, onion, red chilis and a pork butt. I like it with cilantro and lime, but that's not traditional here, just a personal preference. Always with tamales if it's Christmas.

sodcat
06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
my wife makes them every christmas only she wraps them in banana leaves before steaming.

Dinny Blues
06-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Dinny, you pour the black bean chili over the tamales?

What sort of seasonings do you cook your beef in? Do you simmer it or slow roast it?

Yup, the chili is the topping for the tamales.

I cook the beef slow in water with onions before I season the tamale meat stuffing. I use the stock from simmering the beef for the liquid in the masa dough.

After I seperate the meat and onions, then I season the tamale meat for grinding. I let it sit in the frigidaire overnight to let the seasonings mix in, plus meat grinds better cold. I use the broth for the masa dough, and I don't want the dough to be spicy.

I'm a wimp, but I'm okay with that.

Dinny

Fruit Ninja
06-16-2009, 09:07 PM
I always make my posole with pigs feet. Never heard of the cabbage thing. Is it raw, shredded cabbage added just before serving? Or is it cooked?

In New Mexico, we cook the posole with pigs feet, garlic, onion, red chilis and a pork butt. I like it with cilantro and lime, but that's not traditional here, just a personal preference. Always with tamales if it's Christmas.

Add it fresh. It's really really good that way. i put mines in right before i eat it, so its still crunchy.

RJ
06-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Yup, the chili is the topping for the tamales.

I cook the beef slow in water with onions before I season the tamale meat stuffing. I use the stock from simmering the beef for the liquid in the masa dough.

After I seperate the meat and onions, then I season the tamale meat for grinding. I let it sit in the frigidaire overnight to let the seasonings mix in, plus meat grinds better cold. I use the broth for the masa dough, and I don't want the dough to be spicy.

I'm a wimp, but I'm okay with that.

Dinny

Doesn't sound wimpy at all. How could beef arm slow cooked with onions be wimpy?

You grind it in the same contraption you use to make your sausage?

RJ
06-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Add it fresh. It's really really good that way. i put mines in right before i eat it, so its still crunchy.

I'd probably like it. I use the fresh shredded cabbage on my fish tacos, I'm sure it would be just as good on posole.

Fish
06-16-2009, 09:38 PM
This thread is giving me gas....

stumppy
06-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Man those sound killer. It's been several years since I've had a good tamale. I dated a chick who would get together with her mother and sisters around around the holidays and cook tons of tamales along with other home cooked goodies for everyone to take home after the holidays. That was some damn good mexican food.
I think I need to look her back up this year, maybe a month or so before Thanksgiving.

PS. It seems like I've seen that picture you have for your under your name. If I remember right there was a bunch of them printed out on perforated paper. Each one about 1/4 the size of a postage stamp. That was back in the late 70's if I remember right. Could be wrong though, my memory's not so good when it comes to the 70's.:D

Skip Towne
06-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Man those sound killer. It's been several years since I've had a good tamale. I dated a chick who would get together with her mother and sisters around around the holidays and cook tons of tamales along with other home cooked goodies for everyone to take home after the holidays. That was some damn good mexican food.
I think I need to look her back up this year, maybe a month or so before Thanksgiving.

PS. It seems like I've seen that picture you have for your under your name. If I remember right there was a bunch of them printed out on perforated paper. Each one about 1/4 the size of a postage stamp. That was back in the late 70's if I remember right. Could be wrong though, my memory's not so good when it comes to the 70's.:D

What do you know about tamales, gringo?

stumppy
06-16-2009, 10:05 PM
What do you know about tamales, gringo?

I know that when you want to eat real mexican food then you date a mexican chick who can cook.:D

Skip Towne
06-16-2009, 10:08 PM
I know that when you want to eat real mexican food then you date a mexican chick who can cook.:D

That works. Be sure to bring her around. We need the entertainment.

stumppy
06-16-2009, 10:11 PM
That works. Be sure to bring her around. We need the entertainment.

Will do.

Haven't loaded one up lately that I think is ....how should I put it......Planet material.:evil:

cdcox
06-16-2009, 10:14 PM
My dad still talks about the tamales sold out of the white carts in KC:

"Jim Shepard came to Kansas City in the 1920s from Springfield with a tamale recipe and started selling them from a white cart," DiCapo says. "By the 1940s, he had fifteen or twenty guys out selling the tamales for him, all with carts outfitted with a steamer, a bell and a lantern. The lantern was because these guys would be out all night. One customer of mine remembers coming out of a bar at Ninth and Walnut one night, right after World War II, and buying some hot tamales to eat on his way home."

The cart business vanished two decades ago "along with the milkman, the vegetable huckster and the ice man," DiCapo says. But the members of the Van Zant family still make and sell tamales out of their factory in Independence, while DiCapo's wholesale facility focuses on the restaurant and supermarket business ("We're in a hundred stores," he says) and plans to put tamale steamers in a number of area convenience stores by the end of the year. He wants to make the tamales as popular as hot dogs.

http://www.pitch.com/2001-07-05/restaurants/king-of-tamale/

Skip Towne
06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Will do.

Haven't loaded one up lately that I think is ....how should I put it......Planet material.:evil:

No need to apologize, you've done your part.

Detoxing
06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
my moms makes them every year around xmas, then again, everyone's mother makes them around xmas time. lol

They are so good, but i freaking hate sweet tamales, they are just nastyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,

Whaaa? Sweet tamales are the shizznizzel. Emmmm, love me some pinapple tamales
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
06-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I may have to try these. What is the red chili that you speak of RJ?

Boon
06-16-2009, 10:22 PM

x2.

Learned about posole from Mexican neighbors in California.
They would put shredded cabbage, diced onions and sliced radishes in the bowl and ladle the posole on top.
Good eats.

RJ
06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Whaaa? Sweet tamales are the shizznizzel. Emmmm, love me some pinapple tamales
Posted via Mobile Device

Pineapple tamales?

That does not sound appealing.

What else is on/in them?

BigOlChiefsfan
06-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Sounds really good.

angelo
06-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I made tamales Sunday. Pork and Salsa Verde in the Vera Cruz style (wrapped in banana leaves)
I got some real pork lard and fresh ground masa.

They were fantastic. In fact some Mexican friends want to buy 6 dozen the next time I make them.

I friggin love tamales.

Ang

Gonzo
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Anyone know where I can find a good tamale in Omaha?

We have a large hispanic population but I can't find a decent tamale anywhere.

JuicesFlowing
06-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Modelo especial Pale Ale.

What does that mean? You mean lager, yeah? Sorry, signed The Beer Snob

Stewie
06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
I've never made tamales but I love to eat them. Fortunately, we have a cute little Mexican girl at work who sells them for $10/dozen. Her church group has a big tamale cook every other Sunday night to raise money. She makes a bunch of money just from us. Last week she brought in 300 tamales to fill our orders. She says they make about 1500 per cook, but will be increasing the number soon.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-17-2009, 04:39 PM
I was the only anglo kid in a Hispanic neighborhood back about 1963-64. All the neghborhood ladies and teenaged girls would get together and make tamales for Christmas. My neighbors made awesome tamales. Otherwise it seems like they were pretty rare, aside from that Christmas spree. That may be one reason I like them so much, eating a tamale now is like Christmas in July.

When I worked on the Plaza, my coworkers used to buy them from the Guadalupe center, very nice. I buy them now at Pollo Loco @ 5816 Merriam Lane. For all I know, they're buying them from the GC, too. Pretty good, if not quite up to Lupe's best, 1964.

http://www.kclunchspots.com/2008/09/pollo-loco-crazy-fast-chicken.html

Raised On Riots
06-17-2009, 05:36 PM

Now those are some proper tamales! We've got a little old Mexican lady who comes to town once a month selling her tamales, enchiladas, tostadas, salsa, burritos, beans and rice.

12 bucks a dozen, and they are PHAT! That Grandma makes BANK on her little circuit!

Simply Red
06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
sounds good man, that's one thing I've never made.

RJ
06-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I may have to try these. What is the red chili that you speak of RJ?

Red chili is sort of a gravy or sauce, usually made from dried red chile pods. It involves soaking the chiles in very hot water until pliable, then simmered in beef broth or water with sauteed onion and garlic, then blended with some seasonings. The resulting sauce is served over tamales, enhiladas, burritos, mashed potatoes or anything else you like.

Chile is a part of just about every meal in a restaurant serving New Mexican food. The question you have to be prepared to answer is always, "red or green?"

Here's a real simple recipe for red chili sauce.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=553&Itemid=126

cdcox
06-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Red chili is sort of a gravy or sauce, usually made from dried red chile pods. It involves soaking the chiles in very hot water until pliable, then simmered in beef broth or water with sauteed onion and garlic, then blended with some seasonings. The resulting sauce is served over tamales, enhiladas, burritos, mashed potatoes or anything else you like.

Chile is a part of just about every meal in a restaurant serving New Mexican food. The question you have to be prepared to answer is always, "red or green?"

Here's a real simple recipe for red chili sauce.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=553&Itemid=126

Much grass.

Dinny Blues
06-17-2009, 10:18 PM
OKAY.........PROGRESS REPORT

(with disclaimer)

My significant other has digestive system problems which requires liquid/soft diet constraints. That's why I am grinding the tamale meat instead of shredding.

She loves mexican food, but has problems with it being too spicy.

I am trying to make something she likes, fits the soft diet thing and has the nutritional stuff she needs. She can only consume a very small amount each time, so I'm trying to get as much protein and iron per bite.

If I make my own tamales, I can make them as mild or spicy as I wish. Plus, I can use quality roasts of pork, beef etc. instead of the kangaroo lips and such they put in canned tamales.

(end of disclaimer)

I used half the package of corn husks which turned out to be 20.

Used all the beef stock I had, (3.5 cups), for the masa dough.

Had twice the ground roast I needed to use up half of the corn husks.

Gonna roll up the rest tomorrow.

What I don't use right away will be vacuum sealed and frozen.

Dinny

cdcox
06-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Making the Mrs. "easily digestible 'high-quality'" tamales. You're a good man, Dinny.

Dinny Blues
06-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Making the Mrs. "easily digestible 'high-quality'" tamales. You're a good man, Dinny.

Thanks for the kind words, cd.

I love the Mrs. and I love to cook. I love to eat is probably the reason I'm a good cook.

And then there's the whole love to eat the Mrs. and the Mrs. loves me or somethin'

I hope I don't have to turn in my man card.

Dinny

Fruit Ninja
06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Now those are some proper tamales! We've got a little old Mexican lady who comes to town once a month selling her tamales, enchiladas, tostadas, salsa, burritos, beans and rice.

12 bucks a dozen, and they are PHAT! That Grandma makes BANK on her little circuit!

Ya, my mom buys the masa though, its a pain in the ****ing ass to make by hand. Its alot of work, and she's not getting any younger. We just go to a mexican meat market here in town and they have a ton of it already made all the time. hell, i always buy my carne asada and carnitas there as well. Been going to that place for well over 10 years now.

Now i am going to call my mom and ask her to make some pasole this weekend. haha I would ask for tamales, but she will look at me like i am crazy.

Raised On Riots
06-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Ya, my mom buys the masa though, its a pain in the ****ing ass to make by hand. Its alot of work, and she's not getting any younger. We just go to a mexican meat market here in town and they have a ton of it already made all the time. hell, i always buy my carne asada and carnitas there as well. Been going to that place for well over 10 years now.

Now i am going to call my mom and ask her to make some pasole this weekend. haha I would ask for tamales, but she will look at me like i am crazy.

It's hard to get the masa right; if it's too dry, it's the most god-awful taste on Earth. You gots'ta love the little old Moms and Grandmas who really know how to make it proper. If they're done right, it's nothing to put away 8 or more in one meal!

Cheers!