PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Emptying the OTAs notebook - DV speaks on Haley...

DaWolf
06-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Emptying the OTAs notebook: Dick Vermeil on Todd Haley, Brian Waters and the attitude adjustment (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/830)

Former Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, who led St. Louis to a Super Bowl title in 1999, made a long career out of doing things his way. Practices were exhausting, and mercy wasn't usually part of the equation. Like every NFL coach, he once led a franchise for the first time, something first-year Kansas City coach Todd Haley is charged with doing this year.

Vermeil understands Haley's obstacles, including getting the disgruntled guard Brian Waters to buy into the coach's message. Vermeil coached Waters early in the lineman's career. We spoke with Vermeil last week to discuss his thoughts on Haley's 2009 challenges, the Brian Waters situation and what the new Chiefs coach has to do to earn the team's respect.

These are Vermeil's thoughts, in his words:

You sort of grow into those leadership responsibilities, and you grow into your philosophy. I was far more intense, far more emotional when I took over the Kansas City Chiefs. You get better as you do it.

Remember, Bill Walsh was a first-time head coach. Vince Lombardi was a first-time head coach at one time.

Heíll do it his way. Heíll also lean on things that heís learned from his recent experience.

They'll fall in line. Regardless of what players say, sooner or later theyíre going to learn who the boss is. Theyíll soon find out why heís the head coach.

On Brian Waters:

I know him very well. I see him having a great year and going to the Pro Bowl as a Kansas City Chief and ending up buying in and being a leader. Itíll just happen in a matter of time as he gains respect and they (coaches) gain respect for him.

Heís just not some dumb offensive lineman. Heís a bright guy, and he will evaluate the whole process as itís going along, and heíll buy in. Heíll see that this is a good way.

Thereís a lot of guys who play on rosters whoíd just as soon play somewhere else. But they always end up falling in line.

---

More emptying the OTAs notebook: What if Todd Haley's intensity backfires? Here is one man's opinion (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/831)

It's not every day that you get to think about baseball on a football blog, or mix your hometown Royals with the cross-the-street Chiefs, but this is the rare alignment of those factors (and, hey, the Royals are hot, and Chiefs practice is over for six weeks).

I was thinking last week about an issue that kept making me more curious. Chiefs coach Todd Haley's intensity and business-first approach is certainly getting results, but what happens if Kansas City struggles anyway? Because he is testing players' limits, is he under some sort of psychological deadline in which he must prove his harsh method works -- before players begin to question it or, worse, revolt?

I think Haley will lose some soldiers' faith if the Chiefs start, say, 1-5. It's natural. Players questioned Herm Edwards last year, and he was as friendly to players as the all-you-can-eat menu at the Argosy. I remembered last year that Royals manager Trey Hillman tried to instill some discipline and a no-nonsense approach to the team. And in some ways, that backfired, Hillman later admitting that he might have gone about some things the wrong way.

I'm certainly no Royals expert. So I asked former Kansas City player Brian McRae what he thought about it and what a coach/manager faces when he strips the fun out of sports, even if temporarily, and how long players will remain patient.

Here's some of what he said, in his words:

He (Hillman) even admitted that what he did last year didnít work the way he thought it would, and heíd go about things a little bit differently this year. With players, the players bottom line is, just be consistent in your approach.

You run the risk of it backfiring on you if you donít do things like that because players will run over you and take advantage of you.

Both these guys are trying to change the culture. If youíre trying to change the culture of whatís been going on in the past, then more drastic measures may need to be taken. The culture of the ballclub or the team has been terrible, and you have to come in and instill your will and what you want to do on the players, and sometimes that takes being the bad guy in a sense. Things arenít going good, and youíve got to whip these guys into shape and make things right very quickly. What Trey tried to do last year was what he thought was best at that time, and he found out that they werenít the results that he thought they would be.

He admitted, and I think it was good that he admitted them, that when he looks back at it, he wonít do those types of things this year.

On the fact that neither Hillman nor Haley had MLB or NFL experience before being chosen to take over:

I donít think the respect thing comes from what you did or whatís on the back of your bubble gum card or whatís in your bio in the media guide. A lot of kids that they may be coaching, might not have paid attention to the game when they were playing. All theyíre worried about is how youíre going to make me better.

There were some veterans that didnít see eye to eye with Trey. Bottom line is, if they won, everybody wouldíve acted like they got along.

Some guys will buy into anything a guy says for a certain amount of time. Once they donít see results, theyíre not buying in anymore. Thatís the thing thatís tough. If guys donít see results and get some positive feedback about what theyíre doing wins and loss-wise for the most part, guys start going in survival mode and start worrying about themselves: "If the team is going to hell in a hand basket, Iím not going to have a bad year because of it."

You canít pick your manager or your head coach. He is picked for you, and you learn how to adapt for his style. Whether you like it or not, you learn. Until you go somewhere else, you have to find a way to make it work. Itís not the manager or coachís job to conform to the player; itís the playerís job to conform to what the manager or coach wants you to do.

They hate you, but they have to respect you. Do you lose them as far as respect goes? Or do you lose them as far as they donít like you because they donít like you but they can play for you? Thereís a fine line there. They donít want to talk to him, but they can play for you. We donít have to hang out. Their personalities wonít allow them to play for a guy they donít like.

If the players hate you so much that they go out and find a way to win and they hate you so much theyíre going to play together despite you, then I guess he did his job. If thatís a motivating factor that the players needed to play better, then in the end nobody cares if you like the guy.

Detoxing
06-17-2009, 02:48 PM
That was disappointing
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrySPAMAID
06-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I think it is very "easy" right now for Chiefs fans to think they could go one and five in their first 6 games. Babb, that's easy.

We're not going 1-5 damnit. We're not going 1-5

Chocolate Hog
06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
The difference between Hillman & Haley is Haley has actually been to a championship in his sport while Hillman hasn't (Japaneese baseball doesn't count). Also the Royals organization is the worse in sports. Since Pioli is the GM if they are ran like the Patriots the Chiefs will be one of the best franchises in sports.

Dicky McElephant
06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I think it is very "easy" right now for Chiefs fans to think they could go one and five in their first 6 games. Babb, that's easy.

You are the biggest homer I've ever seen.

penguinz
06-17-2009, 03:09 PM

We're not going 1-5 damnit. We're not going 1-52-4 would be a good record after the first 6 games.

SNR
06-17-2009, 04:08 PM

We're not going 1-5 damnit. We're not going 1-5You're right. Cassel needs time to gel with this team. We'll go 0-6

Halfcan
06-17-2009, 04:11 PM
If we lose to the Faders at Home again-I will NEVER support Haley-period.

CoMoChief
06-17-2009, 04:14 PM
2-4 would be a good record after the first 6 games.

No it wouldn't, but it's what could probably be expected from the Chiefs.....at best. :(

milkman
06-17-2009, 04:20 PM
If we lose to the Faders at Home again-I will NEVER support Haley-period.

That's juuuust a little early to give up on a coach that is attempting to make major changes with a roster full of (lacking) talent that doesn't really fit his scheme.

Just Passin' By
06-17-2009, 04:29 PM

And, now, for a rousing game of "Find the wins!":

@Ravens
Raiders
@Eagles
Giants
Cowboys
@Redskins
Chargers

The Chiefs could very easily be 1-7 heading into the bye. That's likely how the odds would break down if you looked to Vegas for each individual game right now.

KCtotheSB
06-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Don't bother. If he really gets to you, set him on ignore. He's been this way for a long time. We were "supposed" to go 10-6 a year ago according to him. Constant pessimism isn't fun to listen to, but the opposite is just as true.

Anyways, just for shits 'n giggles....below is our first 6 games of the '09 season. I see 1 win against Oakland....and not much else...(maybe Washington.....if we catch EVERY break and the team is at least playing competitive in the 4 previous losses).

09/13/09 at Baltimore Ravens 12:00 PM CBS
09/20/09 Oakland Raiders 12:00 PM CBS
09/27/09 at Philadelphia Eagles 12:00 PM CBS
10/04/09 New York Giants 12:00 PM FOX
10/11/09 Dallas Cowboys 12:00 PM FOX*
10/18/09 at Washington Redskins CBS

As for the article, I've been hoping for a no-bullshit type of coach for a while now. Regardless of Vermeil's slavedriving practices, him and Herm coddled their teams and I always felt it helped in making our defense look like assclowns. I understand Robinson and Gun had their hand in making our D look like Pee-Wee's, but I just felt the "toughness" an NFL defense should be exhibiting just wasn't there. Hopefully, with Haley in the mix, the defense will be the first thing that improves. Granted, the pieces aren't all there for a world class D, but I feel a meaner attitude will help in making KC at least respectable.

...and if we do go 1-5 and the team starts to quit on Haley, I'd like to think it will help Pioli in either identifying the problem areas on our team. I'm willing to give Haley a grace period until the personnel problem areas are "weeded out". It's not like our "Super Bowl window" is closing (or even cracked open :) ).....

Saleenman607
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM

@Ravens
Raiders
@Eagles
Giants
Cowboys
@Redskins
Chargers

The Chiefs could very easily be 1-7 heading into the bye. That's likely how the odds would break down if you looked to Vegas for each individual game right now.

That's depressing as shit. I don't believe the Chiefs will lose two straight at home tho. Raider win and cowboy win, then the fellas will have some MO to work with.

Count Alex's Losses
06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I wonder if we will be asking Herm for his opinion?

ROFL

Just Passin' By
06-17-2009, 04:52 PM
That's depressing as shit. I don't believe the Chiefs will lose two straight at home tho. Raider win and cowboy win, then the fellas will have some MO to work with.

The schedule gets easier in the second half, and the Chiefs should improve more than a lot of other teams, given their starting point. It's just a rough year to be mediocre or worse in the AFC West because of the schedule.

KCtotheSB
06-17-2009, 04:53 PM
The schedule gets easier in the second half, and the Chiefs should improve more than a lot of other teams, given their starting point. It's just a rough year to be mediocre or worse in the AFC West because of the schedule.

I expect Kansas City to at the very LEAST, be able to hang tough within the division. Is a 3-3 division record too much to hope for? STFU

Saleenman607
06-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Hell, they might be able to pull one over @Washington and start 3-3. Can we get to the season already!!!!!!!!!!

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Hell, they might be able to pull one over @Washington and start 3-3. Can we get to the season already!!!!!!!!!!

:shake:

BigChiefFan
06-17-2009, 05:40 PM
5-11 is what I'll guess. The division is pretty bad, though, so we have a shot at overachieving, if things click early, but that's mostly just wishful thinking on my part.

Raised On Riots
06-17-2009, 05:43 PM

The man loves his Kool-Aid.

That's juuuust a little early to give up on a coach that is attempting to make major changes with a roster full of (lacking) talent that doesn't really fit his scheme.

This.

Rausch
06-17-2009, 05:51 PM

@Ravens
Raiders
@Eagles
Giants
Cowboys
@Redskins
Chargers

We lost to the division winning Chargers by ONE POINT.

TWICE.

I'm not at all impressed with that team and the Raiders are the Raiders.

The Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants will probably ****ing murder us though...

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2009, 05:55 PM
We lost to the division winning Chargers by ONE POINT.

San Diego was without Merriman last year. He'll be back and they added another edge pass rusher in Larry English. Ron Rivera has a better idea of how to use his players. Plus, LT will be back and they have depth at RB this year.

I expect SD to be no less than 11-5.

I'm not at all impressed with that team and the Raiders are the Raiders.

The Raiders whooped the Chiefs last year at Arrowhead and their defense is even stronger this year.

The Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants will probably ****ing murder us though...

I won't be surprised in the least if the Chiefs go 1-7 to open the season.

Rausch
06-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I won't be surprised in the least if the Chiefs go 1-7 to open the season.

I also think about the fact we lost half our games by a TD or less with fucking Herman Edwards and Thigpen running things.

No Herm should be good for at least +3 pts a game...

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I also think about the fact we lost half our games by a TD or less with fucking Herman Edwards and Thigpen running things.

Maybe.

But considering the offensive coordinator remained, a 1,000 yard receiver (and 10 TD's) were removed along with no significant improvement in the offensive line, that +3pts per game is nullified IMO.

I'm on board with Haley but this team has a steep climb to contention.

Raised On Riots
06-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Maybe.

But considering the offensive coordinator remained, a 1,000 yard receiver (and 10 TD's) were removed along with no significant improvement in the offensive line, that +3pts per game is nullified IMO.

I'm on board with Haley but this team has a steep climb to contention.

Yep.

Just Passin' By
06-17-2009, 06:32 PM
I also think about the fact we lost half our games by a TD or less with ****ing Herman Edwards and Thigpen running things.

Teams develop strategies to compete against their opponents. If you play against the Ravens or Vikings, the smart money says "pass the ball", for example. Since the key is winning, and not getting style points, it doesn't matter if the Chiefs lost by 1 point or 100 points. What matters is that they lost pretty much every game they played, and they didn't beat any team that finished with a record over .500.

Cheer for the team. Hope for them to win every single game. Just don't expect them to win more than 3-6 games, or you'll likely be disappointed.

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Teams develop strategies to compete against their opponents. If you play against the Ravens or Vikings, the smart money says "pass the ball", for example. Since the key is winning, and not getting style points, it doesn't matter if the Chiefs lost by 1 point or 100 points. What matters is that they lost pretty much every game they played, and they didn't beat any team that finished with a record over .500.

Cheer for the team. Hope for them to win every single game. Just don't expect them to win more than 3-6 games, or you'll likely be disappointed.

damn your crystal ball must be really good to just know all that

Mr. Krab
06-17-2009, 06:53 PM
If coaching and cassel can make a 7+ pt difference per game then we could have a much better record this season even though our talent level isn't much different.

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
If coaching and cassel can make a 7+ pt difference per game then we could have a much better record this season even though our talent level isn't much different.

not how JPB feels about this

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2009, 07:03 PM

That's a LOT of "Ifs".

And, you're suggesting they can do this without the 1,000 yards and 10 TD's that Gonzalez put up last year?

Personally, I don't think that's possible. Especially considering they face the Giants, Ravens, Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles & Chargers (twice) defensive units.

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
That's a LOT of "Ifs".

And, you're suggesting they can do this without the 1,000 yards and 10 TD's that Gonzalez put up last year?

Personally, I don't think that's possible. Especially considering they face the Giants, Ravens, Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles & Chargers (twice) defensive units.

two words: bobby engram:D

BTW hows dane been lately?

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2009, 07:09 PM
two words: bobby engram:D

BTW hows dane been lately?

Dane has been very well lately.

Thanks for asking, Jason!

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Dane has been very well lately.

Thanks for asking, Jason!

good to hear, havent seen you on as much lately. i've been busy though

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2009, 07:11 PM
good to hear, havent seen you on as much lately. i've been busy though

I have as well.

We had some major construction at the house for 2 solid weeks that just finished last week, along with a bunch of other nonsense.

Hope all is well with you!

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2009, 07:12 PM
I have as well.

We had some major construction at the house for 2 solid weeks that just finished last week, along with a bunch of other nonsense.

Hope all is well with you!

yep great. thanks. this time of year is always busy at the shop. first time this week i've gotten home before 9. money's good though:D

Raised On Riots
06-17-2009, 07:41 PM
yep great. thanks. this time of year is always busy at the shop. first time this week i've gotten home before 9. money's good though:D

Now you can afford to hire someone to fetch your Sake, and get sucky-sucky too! :D

Just Passin' By
06-17-2009, 07:43 PM
damn your crystal ball must be really good to just know all that

It doesn't take a crystal ball. Most teams that win just 2 games in a football season do so because they are a bad team, unless major injuries played a huge role. As a fan, why place high expectations on such a team when you're likely to be disappointed? If you expect the team to be rebuilding and they win more games than you'd figured, you'll have a happier season than if you expect the playoffs and get 5 wins.

BarrySPAMAID
06-17-2009, 07:50 PM

Thank you. I appreciate that.

2-4 would be a good record after the first 6 games.
I am hoping for 3-3

You're right. Cassel needs time to gel with this team. We'll go 0-6
Wow, a Herb Taylor supporter who thinks were going 0-6? That strikes me as so odd?

Don't bother. If he really gets to you, set him on ignore. He's been this way for a long time. We were "supposed" to go 10-6 a year ago according to him. Constant pessimism isn't fun to listen to, but the opposite is just as true.

Anyways, just for shits 'n giggles....below is our first 6 games of the '09 season. I see 1 win against Oakland....and not much else...(maybe Washington.....if we catch EVERY break and the team is at least playing competitive in the 4 previous losses).

09/13/09 at Baltimore Ravens 12:00 PM CBS
09/20/09 Oakland Raiders 12:00 PM CBS
09/27/09 at Philadelphia Eagles 12:00 PM CBS
10/04/09 New York Giants 12:00 PM FOX
10/11/09 Dallas Cowboys 12:00 PM FOX*
10/18/09 at Washington Redskins CBS

As for the article, I've been hoping for a no-bullshit type of coach for a while now. Regardless of Vermeil's slavedriving practices, him and Herm coddled their teams and I always felt it helped in making our defense look like assclowns. I understand Robinson and Gun had their hand in making our D look like Pee-Wee's, but I just felt the "toughness" an NFL defense should be exhibiting just wasn't there. Hopefully, with Haley in the mix, the defense will be the first thing that improves. Granted, the pieces aren't all there for a world class D, but I feel a meaner attitude will help in making KC at least respectable.

...and if we do go 1-5 and the team starts to quit on Haley, I'd like to think it will help Pioli in either identifying the problem areas on our team. I'm willing to give Haley a grace period until the personnel problem areas are "weeded out". It's not like our "Super Bowl window" is closing (or even cracked open :) ).....

They were supposed to do much better than they did last year as far as I'm concerned. Nothing worked out as planned. I was a year early. So what? I, like many Chief fans do, DO NOT cash in a season prior to camp. Ever. And I think this team looks better in many outlets. I didnt realize we we're to the point of "the ignore" button. If you cant handle a little bit of optimism, maybe thats a good idea. Cheers. And for the record, you are wrong. It wasn't just last year. I have said 10-6 every year for 5 years in a row. If you actually read my blog, you would know that. I always say 10-6. Always. If you dont understand why I do this, again, feel free to ignore me. I certainly am not here to piss anyone off. I just love talking Chiefs.

BarrySPAMAID
06-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh and FOR the record, here is how I see the first 6 games panning out. Enjoy.

09/13/09 at Baltimore Ravens W 27-17 Cassel tells the NFL the Chiefs are good!
09/20/09 Oakland Raiders W 45-10 Home opener REMATCH from last season. Chiefs are NOT happy. They take it out on the proper authority
09/27/09 at Philadelphia Eagles L 31-28 Im going to this game with my friend who is a philly fan, and I lose the bet. Already pissed!
10/04/09 New York Giants W 24-17 New York. Eli goes down, Cassel is the star.
10/11/09 Dallas Cowboys W 24-23 Welcome to the NFL Ryan Succop. Game winning field goal.
10/18/09 at Washington Redskins L 16-14. We give up a safety in the 4th, and dont get the ball back. ****!

Im at 4-2 actually. Go ahead and mark this. I care not. Drink up bitches.

FAX
06-17-2009, 08:01 PM
That's a LOT of "Ifs".

It's one of those "trial by fire" seasons, to be sure.

I can't decide if that's good or bad. On one hand, it's a good test for Haley and his staff to see if they can actually build the team while facing tough challenges week after week. On the other hand, we could easily lose a long string of games resulting in a loss of faith on the part of our players.

Maybe it's all for the best, though. Due to the difficult schedule, new schemes, and the number of young players, maybe Haley will snap at some point and break McIntosh's nose with a clipboard.

FAX

Raised On Riots
06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
He should just carry a rolled up newspaper around Stram-style and swat 'em on the nose like a bad puppy when it piddles on the floor.

FAX
06-17-2009, 08:10 PM

If ... if ... Haley doesn't lose the team somewhere around loss number 5 or 6.

And, that's very possible. Especially if Haley keeps their nads to the grindstone. NFL professionals know that, when a player's nads have been ground for 3 or 4 losses in a row, the player begins questioning the value of the whole grinding process and they tend to develop an intense and abiding aversion to stones of any sort.

FAX

Just Passin' By
06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
If ... if ... Haley doesn't lose the team somewhere around loss number 5 or 6.

And, that's very possible. Especially if Haley keeps their nads to the grindstone. NFL professionals know that, when a player's nads have been ground for 3 or 4 losses in a row, the player begins questioning the value of the whole grinding process and they tend to develop an intense and abiding aversion to stones of any sort.

FAX

"If" is going to be a very big word in the AFC West this season.

milkman
06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
That's a LOT of "Ifs".

I don't expect a lot of wins against a brutal schedule, but if Cassel is only marginally better at distributing the ball than Thigpen, then replacing Tony's production isn't really all that difficult to achieve.

DaneMcCloud
06-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't expect a lot of wins against a brutal schedule, but if Cassel is only marginally better at distributing the ball than Thigpen, then replacing Tony's production isn't really all that difficult to achieve.

I agree with your premise but I may have less faith in our receivers' ability to do so than you.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

OnTheWarpath58
06-18-2009, 06:38 PM

09/20/09 Oakland Raiders W 45-10 Home opener REMATCH from last season. Chiefs are NOT happy. They take it out on the proper authority
09/27/09 at Philadelphia Eagles L 31-28 Im going to this game with my friend who is a philly fan, and I lose the bet. Already pissed!
10/11/09 Dallas Cowboys W 24-23 Welcome to the NFL Ryan Succop. Game winning field goal.
10/18/09 at Washington Redskins L 16-14. We give up a safety in the 4th, and dont get the ball back. ****!

Holy shit, Barry.

WTF do you put in that Kool-Aid?

I'm not sure what is more ridiculous:

Winning 4 of our first 6, (or 4 all year, for that matter) or averaging 27 PPG against ANY defenses, much less against 4 of the Top 6 defenses from last season.

milkman
06-18-2009, 06:38 PM
I agree with your premise but I may have less faith in our receivers' ability to do so than you.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

That is a question, but one also has to wonder if Thigpen had been more accurate and been less prone to simply throw the ball in Tny's direction if our receivers might have already gotten more production.

I know this.
While I don't know how good Cassel really is, he is far more accurate than Thigpen was, so that will alreay be a plus.

milkman
06-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Holy shit, Barry.

Shrooms

BarrySPAMAID
06-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Holy shit, Barry.

Winning 4 of our first 6, (or 4 all year, for that matter) or averaging 27 PPG against ANY defenses, much less against 4 of the Top 6 defenses from last season.

The way I see it, were just getting started. I am not concerned with the schedule.

milkman
06-18-2009, 07:20 PM
The way I see it, were just getting started. I am not concerned with the schedule.

You're one of those people who think "I can't be out of money, I still have checks", right?

OnTheWarpath58
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
You're one of those people who think "I can't be out of money, I still have checks", right?

LMAO

Raised On Riots
06-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Holy shit, Barry.

My favorite was beating the Giants, then losing to the Redskins!ROFL

Shrooms

ROFL Oh it hurts!

Rausch
06-18-2009, 08:26 PM

http://www.digyourowngrave.com/content/fear_and_loathing_cats.jpg

milkman
06-18-2009, 08:31 PM

The dreaded red x!

Oh noes!!!11111!!!

Rausch
06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
The dreaded red x!

Oh noes!!!11111!!!

Looks fine on this side.

crazycoffey
06-18-2009, 08:40 PM
They hate you, but they have to respect you. Even if they hate respecting you, you can respect that. Do you lose them as far as that respect goes? Or do you lose them as far as they don’t like you because they don’t like you even if they want to like you only they just can't but they can play for you? There’s a fine line there. They don’t want to talk to him, go out to dinner with him or give him a reach around, but they can play for you just not with you. We don’t have to hang out. Their personalities won’t allow them to play for a guy they don’t like and don't respect, or think they don't like and maybe could respect, but they don't so they can't play for you.

wah?

DaneMcCloud
06-18-2009, 08:40 PM

That dude is on ignore for a reason.

Crack is illegal, BTW.

alanm
06-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Holy shit, Barry.

Winning 4 of our first 6, (or 4 all year, for that matter) or averaging 27 PPG against ANY defenses, much less against 4 of the Top 6 defenses from last season.Hey... It could happen.
Not saying it will but it could.
At this moment in time it's like saying the Royals could be in contention for the American league central back in February. :thumb:

DaneMcCloud
06-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey... It could happen.
Not saying it will but it could.
At this moment in time it's like saying the Royals could be in contention for the American league central back in February. :thumb:

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Royals aren't in contention for the division. They'll be lucky to finish 3rd this year.

And there's NO WAY the Chiefs beat the Giants.

Cassel will be lucky to make it off the field in one piece against that defense, which has actually improved this off-season.

whoman69
06-19-2009, 12:41 AM

@Ravens
Raiders
@Eagles
Giants
Cowboys
@Redskins
Chargers

Home games against the Raiders, Cowboys and Chargers are all winnable. The Redskins are going to have big problems this year with all the talk about replacing the QB and yet he's still there. 4-3 is probably a pipe dream, but not beyond believability.

chiefzilla1501
06-19-2009, 03:32 AM

Yikes.
Game 1: Are you really expecting that a new QB learning a new offense is going to come out and score 27 points against one of the top defenses in the league in his first start? Here's my prediction: the Ravens' run game is going to plow the defense and the defense will never get off the field. Ravens win.

Game 2: Much as I hate Oakland, they got real hot in the second half of the season last year. And this year, they'll have a healthy McFadden. Once again, the Chiefs' inexperience in a new, complicated defense is going to lead to a leaky run D. They can only hope Cassel is good enough to get points against an inconsistent D or that Jamarcus makes enough mistakes to compensate. This is going to be a lot closer than you suggest.

Game 3: Yikes. Even if Eli goes down (which... how is he going to go down when our d-line is completely incapable of sacking anybody?) the Giants still wreck us with Jacobs and Bradshaw. This is one of the elite teams in the NFL and our average o-line is going to look embarrassingly bad against Tuck, Omienyura, and Kiwanuka.

Game 4 and 5: Dallas and Philly are solid, if unspectacular teams. The Chiefs are a team with still a lot of gaps and that's still learning their identity. Yet another two games where the Chiefs are going to be major underdogs.

Game 6: Now, Washington is a more winnable game. I'll give you that. But we're still at 2 borderline winnable games and 4 games where we will be major underdogs. This schedule is as brutal as it gets. I mean, c'mon, we're a team with a huge learning curve playing playoff teams in 4 of our first 6 games.