PDA

View Full Version : Computers What is pc.exe?

Sure-Oz
06-19-2009, 12:23 PM
My gf loaded pictures and videos from her camera from a concert. Apparently when she plays a video from it, its a sony camera a pc.exe shortcut shows up on the desktop and the virus scanner says its a trojan or something. Basically ran malware bytes and the virus scanner to remove the stuff, but it said media player and a few other things were infected and removed it.

Afterwards it said put in the windows cd cause some files are 'plain or blank' and it may make the cpu unstable. I restarted and haven't noticed anything bad yet, but i dont know if it screwed with registry or what, it looked like there were 3 diff things it removed.

Well, the cpu has no windows cd, its all loaded on there and there is no recovery cd, just system restore.

What should i do? Try system restore? Is this pc.exe a threat, even though it says it is?

It makes no sense why it would be on there from the camera and loading a video. Google wasn't able to help much.

It made some folder called pc in program files, and a shortcut to pc.exe on the desktop.

Strange.

Fish
06-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Looking up some security reviews online, it doesn't look too damaging. More of a "spoof" type malware.

You might check the following locations to make sure it's gone though. And turn on hidden files and system files in View settings as the files are likely hidden....

The file "pc.exe" is known to be created under the following filenames: <table width="100%" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="background-color: rgb(243, 243, 243);"><td>%ProgramFiles%\cacheboost\pc.exe</td></tr> <tr><td>%ProgramFiles%\privacy center\pc.exe</td></tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(243, 243, 243);"><td>%ProgramFiles%\privacy components\pc.exe</td></tr> <tr><td>%System%\pc.exe</td></tr></tbody></table>http://www.threatexpert.com/files/pc.exe.html

Sure-Oz
06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
The thing i worry is that i had it 'cleaned' and removed but it said it removed some important files with it, and said i needed a windows cd to replace them or something. The system would be unstable if that happend it said, but so far its fine...i can always do a system restore from the day before it happend. Just very odd that it showed up, it shows it as a trojan type of file when malware nad avast find it