PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What do you think our division record will end up being?

KCtotheSB
06-19-2009, 03:20 PM
For reference, here's our 2008 results:
vs Oakland L 8-23
at Oakland W 20-13

vs Denver W 33-19
at Denver L 17-24

vs San Diego L 21-22
at San Diego L 19-20

As for our 2009 results, I think we can at least go 3-3. Perhaps I'm being a bit too optimistic (which in the past few seasons has been a rarity), but looking at our competition, San Diego isn't a worldbeater. Denver's looking shitty day after day. Oakland's...well...Oakland. That said, I think we split with Denver (home team wins, as usual), sweep Oakland and then get swept by San Diego. Where do you see Kansas City's division record standing at after 2009 is all said and done?

penguinz
06-19-2009, 03:24 PM
1-5. At home against Den.

Pestilence
06-19-2009, 03:27 PM
3-3

We beat the Raiders, Broncos and Chargers at home.

DaneMcCloud
06-19-2009, 03:27 PM
San Diego should have been 9-7 (Hochuli Rule). They won those games without Shawn Merriman, who's returning this year. They won in the playoffs despite not having Merriman or LT. They've added depth at RB and Larry English as an edge rush passer. They are most certainly the best team in the division and if they can stay healthy, will challenge for the AFC Crown. I see them at no less than 11-5 (barring significant injury).

Oakland will benefit from retaining Tom Cable, adding Greg Ellis and Jeff Garcia. If McFadden's healthy, this team will win at least six games and their defense may surprise.

Denver seems to be in transisition, much the way KC is in transition. The difference is that they have more youthful talent on their roster and come game day, that makes a huge difference. I expect them to win no less than five games this year.

The Chiefs still lack a quality defense, edge pass rusher and have a weak offensive line. The QB is a huge question mark (without the services of Faulk, Moss & Welker AND the NE defense), 1,000 yards and 10 TD's have been removed from the offense and not replaced and they have a first time head coach. Four wins will be considered a success.

The Chiefs go 2-4 in the division.

Ultra Peanut
06-19-2009, 03:29 PM
3-3, 3-13

CupidStunt
06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
3-3. Denver and Oakland are utter dogshit, particularly Denver. They got cornholed in Arrowhead last year by Damon Huard, and that was with Jay Cutler on their sideline. Cassel vs. Orton this time round? Yeah ... no.

MOhillbilly
06-19-2009, 03:34 PM
first in w/ 0&6.

Detoxing
06-19-2009, 03:36 PM
San Diego should have been 9-7 (Hochuli Rule). They won those games without Shawn Merriman, who's returning this year. They won in the playoffs despite not having Merriman or LT. They've added depth at RB and Larry English as an edge rush passer. They are most certainly the best team in the division and if they can stay healthy, will challenge for the AFC Crown. I see them at no less than 11-5 (barring significant injury).

Oakland will benefit from retaining Tom Cable, adding Greg Ellis and Jeff Garcia. If McFadden's healthy, this team will win at least six games and their defense may surprise.

Denver seems to be in transisition, much the way KC is in transition. The difference is that they have more youthful talent on their roster and come game day, that makes a huge difference. I expect them to win no less than five games this year.

The Chiefs still lack a quality defense, edge pass rusher and have a weak offensive line. The QB is a huge question mark (without the services of Faulk, Moss & Welker AND the NE defense), 1,000 yards and 10 TD's have been removed from the offense and not replaced and they have a first time head coach. Four wins will be considered a success.

I love the way you highlight the positives for the other teams and neglect the negatives, yet only speak about the negatives and neglect the positives for the Chiefs. Nice evaluation.

DaneMcCloud
06-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I love the way you highlight the positives for the other teams and neglect the negatives, yet only speak about the negatives and neglect the positives for the Chiefs. Nice evaluation.

Thanks for the criticism.

Greatly appreciated.

Buck
06-19-2009, 03:39 PM
I went w/ 2-4, but I can easily see it being 3-3. Although I'm not confident enough in the Chiefs to say that they will sweep either the Raiders or Broncos (I have the Chargers sweeping the Chiefs though...biased opinion)

JuicesFlowing
06-19-2009, 03:44 PM
We jobbed Denver so bad in the off season, that's already worth a win. The Coach Not To Be Named isn't roaming the sidelines for our Chiefs, we can win at least 3 division games this year.

BigRock
06-19-2009, 04:07 PM
We play both games with Denver in the final 5 weeks, allowing us to reap the benefits of their annual late-season collapse. Although this year it probably won't be noticable as a late-season collapse, since it'll be so similar to their early- and mid-season collapses.

We play San Diego twice in the first 12 weeks, meaning we avoid them late in the season when they finally start getting their act together. In both of the last two seasons, they've been .500 or worse going into Week 12. We should have swept them last year as it is.

We play Oakland twice in the first 10 weeks. By the second game they'll probably be in a full-fledged meltdown, with everyone on earth wanting Garcia to play, but Al refusing to pull the plug on his boy JaMarcus. Hopefully there's another slide-show presentation somewhere in there.

4-2 minimum. If Haley can motivate better than Herm for a home-opener with the Raiders in week 2, and if Norv gets canned the week of our road game in San Diego, 6-0 as we forge ahead to the Super Bowl.

FATALITY.

Pestilence
06-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Where's BarrysKOOLaid with his 6-0 (only if led by Croyle) projection?

Hydrae
06-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Win all three home games and steal one from either Oakland or Denver on the road. 4-2

HermanHater
06-19-2009, 04:59 PM
The fact that Herm and Carl are no longer associated w/ the organization = 1 better than last year. 3-3 at least this year. 4-2 isn't too far of a reach.

LaChapelle
06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Getting there should be all the fun, not half.

chiefzilla1501
06-19-2009, 05:26 PM

Those aren't bad evaluations, but I think you paint a slightly rosier picture for the Raiders and the Chargers. I think the Chargers showed last year that the wheels are starting to come a little bit undone. I talked about Haley and the honeymoon effect, but I think you're starting to see that finally come out in Norv Turner. Marty has traditionally gotten more out of good talent and Norv has traditionally gotten less. And the more Marty's influence rubs off and Norv's influence sinks in, the more you'll see inconsistent play from the Chargers. They're still the best in the division, no question about that, but last year you just saw a team that looked uninspired in the first half of the season. And I don't think it helps that LT is hitting the magic 30 mark in the next week or that their personnel and drafting decisions has gotten significantly worse since Marty left.

As for the Raiders, I think they finally hit a bit of a stride with Cable, but this team did close to nothing to upgrading over the offseason and I think the question of Jamarcus' work ethic is really going to kick in this season. Personally, I don't see this team winning more than 5 games.

If anything, I see the Chargers getting a lot of wins only because they will clean up on inter-division games. And I think of the remaining teams, Oakland could still a few division wins too. But in terms of the future of this division, it's looking pretty nice for the Chiefs. I believe San Diego is on a rapid decline, and that Denver and Oakland have zero direction for their franchise.

DaneMcCloud
06-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Those aren't bad evaluations, but I think you paint a slightly rosier picture for the Raiders and the Chargers. I think the Chargers showed last year that the wheels are starting to come a little bit undone. I talked about Haley and the honeymoon effect, but I think you're starting to see that finally come out in Norv Turner. Marty has traditionally gotten more out of good talent and Norv has traditionally gotten less. And the more Marty's influence rubs off and Norv's influence sinks in, the more you'll see inconsistent play from the Chargers. They're still the best in the division, no question about that, but last year you just saw a team that looked uninspired in the first half of the season. And I don't think it helps that LT is hitting the magic 30 mark in the next week or that their personnel and drafting decisions has gotten significantly worse since Marty left.

Marty had absolutely NO input on the draft so if you think that their drafting decisions have headed south, blame it on AJ Smith, not on Marty's departure.

Secondly, the Chargers without Merriman were a different team. The Chargers without LT were a different team. Add to the fact that Ron Rivera took over at mid-season (and mysteriously, their season turned completely around) and he'll have a full offseason to work with Merriman and Larry English, and I think you're looking a very, very tough defensive team.

Losing Michael Turner was the most significant blow to the Chargers last season. Had they kept Turner and let LT go, you may have been looking at a Super Bowl team, regardless of Merriman's injury.

Make no mistake, the Chargers will be a very tough team in 2009.

Buck
06-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Anyone who thinks that the Chargers w/out a Healthy Merriman are the same team, they are batshit crazy.

Just Passin' By
06-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Anyone who thinks that the Chargers w/out a Healthy Merriman are the same team, they are batshit crazy.

Given his contract situation, you might want to tell that to Smith.

Buck
06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Given his contract situation, you might want to tell that to Smith.

The crappy thing is that the Chargers have to decide on Rivers vs. Merriman, and you know they are going Rivers.

Unfortunately, if Rivers doesn't have a Contract in place before the end of the next season, then we will only be able to use the Franchise tag on one of the players...

However, if it is an uncapped season the following year, all the Free Agents immediately become Restricted meaning that the Chargers would get to match any contract offer, or get 2 firsts and a third for either one of the players....

bango
06-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Three up, and three down. The Raiders are still the Raiders, and they always will be as long as Davis is around. Denver is on the way down, and San Diego is the team to beat.

orange
06-19-2009, 06:03 PM
However, if it is an uncapped season the following year, all the Free Agents immediately become Restricted meaning that the Chargers would get to match any contract offer, or get 2 firsts and a third for either one of the players....

That's not quite correct. The "years of service" to be an Unrestricted Free Agent would change from 4 to 6 5. Merriman should still be UFA (unless last year didn't count because he didn't play enough).

[edit] Nevermind. Does not apply.

Buck
06-19-2009, 06:05 PM
That's not quite correct. The "years of service" to be an Unrestricted Free Agent would change from 4 to 5. Merriman should still be UFA.

Sorry.

Merriman was drafted in 2005. (This upcoming season is his 5th season)

He would become a RFA, I guess Rivers wouldn't.

DaneMcCloud
06-19-2009, 06:05 PM
That's not quite correct. The "years of service" to be an Unrestricted Free Agent would change from 4 to 5. Merriman should still be UFA (unless last year didn't count because he didn't play enough).

In other words, players won't be unrestricted until Year 6.

Buck
06-19-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm not 100% certain on the verbage, but its already been discussed around here. He'll be a RFA if its an uncapped year.

RedNeckRaider
06-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Pretty solid IMO. I think the Chiefs split with Oakland and Denver and get swept by the Chargers. The Chargers are the only team that has a chance to compete for the playoffs in the AFC West IMO

unothadeal
06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
4-3

-King-
06-19-2009, 07:49 PM
No 0-0-6 option?

KCChiefsMan
06-19-2009, 07:52 PM
we sweep the raiders, slit the donkeys and the chargers. 4-2. Wait that might be too good, lets do 3-3.

TEX
06-19-2009, 08:59 PM
2-4. We split with The Donx and Raiders and the Bolts sweep us...(again)

FAX
06-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Never go full homer.

Keeping in mind that we no longer have Gun on board, I say we sweep the black and silver prison escapees and the goats. Haley can get us those wins through sheer willpower alone. Besides, those teams are going to suck hard. We will split with the dolts, winning the home game.

5 & 1.

FAX

Farzin
06-20-2009, 03:38 AM
I really feel like this team should be capable of winning at least .500 against the division. I don't really fear Denver as much anymore, Oakland is still awful, SD is still the same as last year (they haven't really done anything this off-season.)

With the above statement said, I am pretty sure the Chiefs can sweep Oakland and have a shot at sweeping Denver as well and will take at least one of the two games at SD. Sounds strange, but I really feel like this division is weak and Kansas City can win some games here.

BossChief
06-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Well, with a dumb**** running the show last year we:
owned Denver for about 7 quarters and could have/should have won both....the gap has been significantly closed, especially if they trade Marshall away

We lost both SD games by a single pount each, in one game we missed an extra point and the other we went for two and the win...with our upgrades, we might have enough to make those wins next year, but I fear SMs return and the addition of another possible impact pass rusher, will put them farther ahead of us, FOR NOW!!

The Raiders are in bad shape, Jamarcus Russel showed up at ota at over 300 pounds and they will have Sammy Parker and Will Franklin for us to dominate.

best case scenario....6-0
worst case scenario...2-4
honest realistic view of how things will end up...4-2 sweeping Denver and Oakland and losing two close games to SD. First win, in Denver since Gun was HC...