PDA

View Full Version : Life Raytown

G-MONEY
06-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Just got a new job in the Raytown area. I don't know a whole lot about the town other than it's close to the stadiums. What can you guys tell me about the place? Any things to check out, stay away from, etc.?

Bowser
06-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Raytown has gone to hell since that Phobia guy left.

-King-
06-19-2009, 07:45 PM
I live there... and that's pretty much the best part about it :)

sedated
06-19-2009, 07:51 PM
i think its a shit-hole overall.

but I think that about pretty much every city in misery.

Saulbadguy
06-19-2009, 07:53 PM
White people from Johnson County are afraid to go there but that's all I know about it.

G-MONEY
06-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I live there... and that's pretty much the best part about it :)

What can you tell me about the place?

-King-
06-19-2009, 08:38 PM
What can you tell me about the place?

Small town. Terrible downtown with run down buildings. No type of shopping, if you want to buy something, your best bet is going to Lee's Summit. They are building a new walmart here which should be done by the end of the year. Good schools and it's pretty quiet here. Not too much to do.

bobbymitch
06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
First, just because you got a job there, doesn't mean ya have ta live there.

That said, it is an older suburban area to KC. Some decent housing, schools were okay when we lived there, but you will shop else where. It seems to still suffer from a small town political mentality.

Lee's Summit, just down 350Hwy, may a better housing bet and they have new shopping centers.

stevieray
06-19-2009, 09:50 PM
I lived in Raytown from third to sixth grade at Somerset Village ..learned to swim and played football at the Y,..lived at big splash in the summers..later played foosball at Tornado...

Great memories...sorry it doesn't help you out.

Man, I'm old...er.

Sure-Oz
06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Move to lees summit or blue springs and drive to raytown for work

Jethopper
06-19-2009, 10:18 PM
If you want to raise your children to spray paint buildings and have no shot at going to an accredited school, Raytown is your place!

KcFanNindy
06-19-2009, 10:19 PM
raytown use to be a excellent city to live in, but the demographics are changing daily, and more of the inner city is moving east! I graduated from Raytown, Years ago, schools were good then, I would assume they are still some what good. Stay away from the south side of Raytown, it has more crime, I am sure the Ghetto Walmart will open soon!

macdawg
06-19-2009, 10:24 PM
When I was in 6th & 7th grade I was into skateboarding and I lived in nkc, I was told about this amazing skateshop in Raytown with an awesome ramp in the basement.

I went there and bought a couple skateboards but never got to ride the ramp.

Other than that, I don't know much about Raytown other than you'd probably have to pay me to live there.

kc rush
06-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Watch your speed, Raytown cops suck. They will pull you over even if you are going less than 5 miles over the limit.

KCTitus
06-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Watch your speed, Raytown cops suck. They will pull you over even if you are going less than 5 miles over the limit.

Word...last time I was pulled, which is about 15 years ago, I got pulled because my 'brake lights stopped working'...had me pulled and about to give me a ticket, and then he left to go after 'another criminal'...I had just had my car inspected two weeks prior.

I was about to sue that fugger.

leviw
06-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Got turned around coming out of Arrowhead after a preseason game one time and ended up there. A couple dudes pulled up next to us at a stoplight. One configured his hand into the shape of a gun and pointed it at us.

That's all I got.

G-MONEY
06-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Got turned around coming out of Arrowhead after a preseason game one time and ended up there. A couple dudes pulled up next to us at a stoplight. One configured his hand into the shape of a gun and pointed it us.

That's all I got.

For real? Is Raytown that ghetto?

Sure-Oz
06-19-2009, 10:56 PM

It's pretty ghetto and real dark at night

JOhn
06-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I lived in Raytown from third to sixth grade at Somerset Village ..learned to swim and played football at the Y,..lived at big splash in the summers..later played foosball at Tornado...

Great memories...sorry it doesn't help you out.

Man, I'm old...er.

ROFL

Oh wait...nevermind.

Back in the early 90's, used to do a lot of mutual aid calls for Raytown EMS...some of the best shooting we ever had were in that area :D

Sure-Oz
06-19-2009, 11:02 PM

What job did you get there? i've been there at night and didn't feel threatened until i got lost, then i was scaaarrredd...

some gangsta lookin dudes at the gas station did tell me where to go though and that was like 1 am after i left a friends. such nice gangstas

ZootedGranny
06-19-2009, 11:04 PM
My address is in Kansas City, but I essentially live in Raytown (within blocks of Raytown Middle School), and have since I was a kid. There are just as many shady folks and areas here as I've seen anywhere, but I can't say I've ever ran into any problems. I've never been pulled over despite habitually driving at least 5 over the limit, and never had someone configure their hand into a gun.

That said, take the advice of buying a house in Blue Springs or Lee's Summitt. There is **** all to do in Raytown.

Coach
06-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Got turned around coming out of Arrowhead after a preseason game one time and ended up there. A couple dudes pulled up next to us at a stoplight. One configured his hand into the shape of a gun and pointed it at us.

That's all I got.

Should had told him "I noticed you're gangster. I'm pretty gangster myself" while flashing the west sign.

leviw
06-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Should had told him "I noticed you're gangster. I'm pretty gangster myself" while flashing the west sign.

West sign would have been appropriate, as I was hailing from western Kansas at the time. Actually, he might have been the first black person I ever saw. The whole thing was intimidating.

LaChapelle
06-19-2009, 11:18 PM
What corner did you get?

nstygma
06-19-2009, 11:49 PM
When I was in 6th & 7th grade I was into skateboarding and I lived in nkc, I was told about this amazing skateshop in Raytown with an awesome ramp in the basement.

I went there and bought a couple skateboards but never got to ride the ramp.
that must have been "coast to coast," it was a hardware store with a skate shop, 87th & blue ridge. that place has really slipped.

Raytown has a buffalo wild wings and 2 Quik Trips. and the best chinese buffet. other than that, :shake:

Phobia
06-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Raytown isn't all bad. some people make it sound awful in this thread. Lee's Summit is better though. If you really want good value for your house buying dollar though, move to Greenwood - all the benefits of Lee's Summit without all the taxes - all 10 minutes from Raytown.

Smed1065
06-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Ok, I visited last year and most smoke or make crank. I am not biased but I have not called people from there since?

They thought is was all good and normal? I grew up there and was shocked, Its not HS now?

POND_OF_RED
06-20-2009, 02:38 AM
some gangsta lookin dudes at the gas station did tell me where to go though and that was like 1 am after i left a friends. such nice gangstas

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3g1KcOw7zas&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3g1KcOw7zas&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BigRedChief
06-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Move to lees summit or blue springs and drive to raytown for work
This.The schools are actually pretty good in Raytown though.

KcFanNindy
06-20-2009, 10:11 AM
the Police Dept, back in the 90's use to be proactive in law enforcement, and this detered alot of the criminal element, now in 2009 there has been a change in the police administration, for unknown years, and now the police department is a reactive department. All the officers that use to be there have left for better jobs ( Lee Summit, Blue Springs, US Marshals, etc. or retired) Like Phobia has stated Raytown is not all that bad, but like i said earlier the Demo graphics is changing, alot of the neighboorhoods are having people move away to the eastern surburbs, ie Lee Summit, Blue Springs, Grain Valley, to escape of the problems that are starting to develop in Raytown. With that being said, I have never had a problem, but once, at 52nd Blue Ridge Blvd, I grew up and went to Raytown, and lone behold, if i am going to allow a gangster( African American) to try and punk on me, he found what this real White Boy was all about...normally i am a very passive individual, but when you cross the line, you better watch the fock out! Good Luck on your Job, you should be alright in Raytown....especially with the economy they way it is right now, i would work anywhere, to maintain a job, when so many are still looking for a job. Word of advice, its all about how you talk to individuals.... if you are a smooth talker, you can go anywhere!

Smed1065
06-20-2009, 10:21 AM
This.The schools are actually pretty good in Raytown though.

Sure. I can prove different and "had" classmates that prove you wrong.

Great schools-LOL Like LA?

KcFanNindy
06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I have friends who are teachers at the Raytown High School, and they have informed me that the school is not that bad....Its still a good school district in my opinion! Better than KCMO school district!

macdawg
06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
my mom taught 8th grade in Raytown and had 16 year olds in class that were gangbangers. I wouldn't send my kids to school in Raytown personally.

KC native
06-22-2009, 11:15 PM
ROFL@ the people that think Raytown is ghetto. Yea, it's worse than it used to be but it's far from the worst area you can be in KC (which would probably be the Dotte).

I lived in KC and went to Raytown schools (1-12th) and it's really not that bad. My family still lives in the same area and while it has gone downhill because of white flight it is still a solid area to live in.

Also, when I was there (graduated hs in 99) the cops fucking sucked. Unfortunately my brother was labeled as a trouble maker (he wasn't much of one) so it meant I got fucked with too. The Raytown PD has probably given me between $700 and $1500 of tickets that I shouldn't have got. FTR I'm not claiming to be a perfect driver but a couple of pricks who used to work there (don't think they're there anymore) gave me two running red light tickets when I was stopped at the light. Got a 3 mph over the speed limit ticket and god knows how many other stupid violations. Then throw in the countless stops for no good reason where I was let go or the ones where I was pulled out of the car and then illegally searched and it all adds up to FUCK Raytown cops.

Mizzou_8541
06-22-2009, 11:39 PM
the Police Dept, back in the 90's use to be proactive in law enforcement, and this detered alot of the criminal element, now in 2009 there has been a change in the police administration, for unknown years, and now the police department is a reactive department. All the officers that use to be there have left for better jobs ( Lee Summit, Blue Springs, US Marshals, etc. or retired) Like Phobia has stated Raytown is not all that bad, but like i said earlier the Demo graphics is changing, alot of the neighboorhoods are having people move away to the eastern surburbs, ie Lee Summit, Blue Springs, Grain Valley, to escape of the problems that are starting to develop in Raytown. With that being said, I have never had a problem, but once, at 52nd Blue Ridge Blvd, I grew up and went to Raytown, and lone behold, if i am going to allow a gangster( African American) to try and punk on me, he found what this real White Boy was all about...normally i am a very passive individual, but when you cross the line, you better watch the fock out! Good Luck on your Job, you should be alright in Raytown....especially with the economy they way it is right now, i would work anywhere, to maintain a job, when so many are still looking for a job. Word of advice, its all about how you talk to individuals.... if you are a smooth talker, you can go anywhere!

:spock:
Uhhhhhh.....what?