PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Elder Scrolls V

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

Frazod
11-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Weird, I'm halfway through Ride With The Devil. I wonder if he's in it.

Yes, he is.

Pestilence
11-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Picked this up from Redbox.

When or how do you get to fast travel?

Frazod
11-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Picked this up from Redbox.

When or how do you get to fast travel?

You have to discover the destination on your own first. After that, you fast travel to it.

Pestilence
11-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Sweet. I was stuck trying to kill a bandit leader and I ran out of health potions.

Oh....and I tried to fuck with a Giant. I won't make that mistake again.

Frazod
11-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Sweet. I was stuck trying to kill a bandit leader and I ran out of health potions.

They're pretty tough. Build up your archery/ranged attack and find a safe spot to attack from afar.

They're also a wonderful source of filling grand soul gems. So are the mammoths.

You can also restore health by using healing spells.

Pants
11-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Level 24 and I can successfully melee a giant now. Just have to watch the massive attack and dodge in time or it'll drop me down to about 20% of my life and then I have to spend time running around healing myself.

One Handed Tree:

4/5 in Armsman (does 80% more damage with one-handed)
2/3 in Hack and Slash (axes do extra bleeding damage)
1/1 Fighting Stance (power attacks take 25% less stamina)
2/2 Dual Fury (dual attacks are 35% faster)
1/1 Savage Strike (power attacks do 25% more damage with a chance to decapitate)

I'm also wearing 4/4 Flawless Orcish Armor (I know, this needs to get better).

P.S. Decapitating fools with axes is just ridiculous. My favorite one is when I kick them, they go down on their knee and I scissor-cut the head off. It can happen in both slow-mo 3rd person view or real-time first person view.

Count Zarth
11-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Sprint past him when he raises his club, and slash him from behind.

Repeat until dead.

Pants
11-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Sprint past him when he raises his club, and slash him from behind.

Repeat until dead.

They can also use their offhand so pay attention to that. It won't smash you, but it'll still one-shot you at lower levels.

Sofa King
11-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Coolest thing I've seen yet: I'm walking about in the open prairie. I had just got done beating 2 Mammoths and 2 Giants at the same time. Took forever. Turns out the little room in the ground i opened by solving that damn fish/bird/snake riddle is Giant and Mammoth proof. Dumbasses.

I leave there, and boom, Dragon.

I think SWEET! So i take off on foot to get near him. At that time he hammers the ground with fire off in the distance. I'm like wtf? Turns out he hammered a Mammoth. Then that Mammoth, a Giant, and 2 wolves all team up on the dragon and kill him (i saved just before so i could come in next time and get the final shot.

Then the mammoth and Giant take out the wolves, then come after me. Fuckers! They didn't make it far. Mammoths hate Fireballs and Firebolts.

Pretty sweet seeing the teamwork though.

Sofa King
11-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Btw. This game eats up time like frazod eats penis.

Lvl 17 now and rolling. Gotta actually spend some time on my gear though. I get in trouble sometimes against good casters.

Pestilence
11-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Whats the best character to start out with? I started an Imperial but he's meh.

Frazod
11-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Btw. This game eats up time like frazod eats penis.

Lvl 17 now and rolling. Gotta actually spend some time on my gear though. I get in trouble sometimes against good casters.

Originally from Kansas, I take it? LMAO

Frazod
11-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Depends on what you want to specialize in. Check the stats for the various races.

I did my first couple of hours as a dark elf and then switched to a redguard. Probably would have been better off sticking with the dark elf.

Pestilence
11-25-2011, 07:24 PM
I might start over as a Dark Elf. They seem like theyre more well rounded.

Mr. Laz
11-25-2011, 07:26 PM
got tired of waiting and decided to just grind the heavy armor skill

ran out and found a pack of wolves and just stood there for an hour and let them chomp on me.

I leveled up 3 dam levels to get heavy armor skill up high enough. Also leveled up restoration skill 3 times because i was healing nonstop.

weightless heavy armor!! w00t

now i'm 1 point away from getting smithing up to improve arcane stuff.

after that an enchanting session from hell

i think my eyes are starting to bleed. :D

Mr. Laz
11-25-2011, 08:17 PM
what camera position does everyone use in Skyrim?

1st person(POV)
3rd person close (right behind your head)
3rd person wide (sky shot)

Fairplay
11-25-2011, 08:22 PM
what camera position does everyone use in Skyrim?

1st person(POV)
3rd person close (right behind your head)
3rd person wide (sky shot)

1st person.

Sometimes i will go 3rd close just to make sure i have the right apparel on.

I remember doing that in Fallout a time or two and i was walking around in my underwear.

Fairplay
11-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Here is a list of the characteristics. Depends how you want to play the game.

Bosmer (Wood Elves), excel in stealth roles and archery.

Altmer (High Elves), excel in magic roles, to the point where their physical combat suffers.

Dunmer (Dark Elves), are good with swords, bows and destruction magic.

Argonians have natural resistance to most poisons and diseases, and can breath under water. They are also good in stealth roles.

Bretons are excellent in magic roles, and don't suffer as much physically as the Altmer because of it.

Imperials are good light infantry, with good social abilities, making them good for merchant type character builds.

Redguard are brutal fighters, able to stand blow for blow with all but the strongest of enemies.

Khajiit have superb agility and stealth, making them good for assassin/thief builds, and can also see in the dark.

Orsimer (Orcs) are powerful fighters, I've always prefered to use two handed or blunt weapons when playing as an orc, mainly because it adds to the overall appearance of the character.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-25-2011, 09:20 PM
I might start over as a Dark Elf. They seem like theyre more well rounded.

My character is a Dark Elf. I've been very happy so far, especially in my dragon battles. Dark Elves have a natural 50 percent resistance to fire.

Buck
11-25-2011, 09:28 PM
My fucking game has crashed 3 times in the last hour playing the Stormcloak missions. It's pissing me off.

Buck
11-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Another crash.

Anybody have any idea what it could be? Too many save files?

Frazod
11-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Another crash.

It's just buggy. I had several crashes today, including a couple that completely crashed the computer, not just the game.

Should get better as they come up with patches. Until then, it's just another day in Skyrim.

QuikSsurfer
11-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Another crash.

I've had one crash on PS3. The game also starts really starts suffering from FR issues if you've pumped 30+ hours into a character and have a 14mb+ save file. Bethesda has already addressed the issue and promised a patch soon.
This is typical Bethesda though.

QuikSsurfer
11-25-2011, 10:30 PM
My character is a Dark Elf. I've been very happy so far, especially in my dragon battles. Dark Elves have a natural 50 percent resistance to fire.

I'm a Dark Elf.. It gets pretty annoying with everything telling you how sick you look. I even have a dragon priests mask equipped and the fuckers start spatting out "You should probably get to bed" comments when I walk 5 feet from them.

Count Zarth
11-25-2011, 11:22 PM
If you PC guys aren't using the large aware address patch you should be. I never crash.

Pestilence
11-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Crashed 3 times now on the PS3.

lcarus
11-26-2011, 12:12 AM
I really want to like this game. I really do. It looks gorgeous, and is obviously very deep and complex. Therein lies the problem for me though. It's just too much. Guess I'll just keep trying.

KCtotheSB
11-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Think I'm going to go with 1-Handed Swords over 2-Handed Swords. Taking that much damage with Light Armor isn't good for my health.

...and I prefer not to go the Heavy Armor route as my ability sneak and snipe with the bow would be destroyed.

Sofa King
11-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Originally from Kansas, I take it? LMAO

No.

I'd leave it at that, but now I'm curious as to why you asked.

Sofa King
11-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Not gonna read the rest. I am a dark elf and i love it. I chose wisely.

Sofa King
11-26-2011, 01:22 AM
My ****ing game has crashed 3 times in the last hour playing the Stormcloak missions. It's pissing me off.

I got crashed on 5 times at one point (same spot, never again anywhere else). I know it ain't my computer. I spent some major money on that, Must be the fact my game came from.......

Sofa King
11-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Not gonna read the rest. I am a dark elf and i love it. I chose wisely.

EDIT: This quote of myself, was in response to pesties's post

Mr Luzcious
11-26-2011, 01:50 AM
I'm a Dark Elf.. It gets pretty annoying with everything telling you how sick you look. I even have a dragon priests mask equipped and the ****ers start spatting out "You should probably get to bed" comments when I walk 5 feet from them.

Pretty sure that only happens when you have a disease. At least that's the only time its happened for my dark elf.

Setsuna
11-26-2011, 03:44 AM
yeah it's disease. And I haven't crashed once. XBOX > all biatches! PBJ

Fried Meat Ball!
11-26-2011, 06:01 AM
I'm a Dark Elf.. It gets pretty annoying with everything telling you how sick you look. I even have a dragon priests mask equipped and the ****ers start spatting out "You should probably get to bed" comments when I walk 5 feet from them.

Dude, you have a disease. Go to magic and go to the very bottom and look at your active effects. Guaranteed you have some kind of disease. Get a potion, drink it, and they'll stop telling you you look sick.

SomeRandomGirl
11-26-2011, 06:48 AM
This is NOT how I wanted to find Markarth!
So there I was looking for a guy in a bar in Whiterun. I don't frequent this bar often, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to get to know the regulars a bit.

First guy I talk to looks like a monk, but he challenges me to a drinking contest. Me? I'll admit, I do have some major issues with men constantly thinking that because I'm a woman I can't hold my ales, so I am easily goaded into drinking too much, but there's no way I'm letting this pansy in a dress out drink me! And he claims he'll give me a staff if I beat him. He's on!

He starts the contest and I quickly match him. He goes again and already he starts complaining of not being able to hold his drink. By the 3rd round, I know I have this in the bag.

And then BAM! I'm out like a light. That bastard had to have put something in my drink. No way am I that much of a light weight.

Next thing I know I wake up in a temple in Markarth with some snotty woman blaming me for things that I have no recollection of.

So then begins the long trail of retracing my steps and finding this Sam guy.

As I'm walking my hungover ass back to Riorkstead (I've been told I was there?!?!), I come across a cave that required an ivory claw to proceed, a blood dragon, and a couple of Forsworn camps. Then I find a man who may possibly be married to his goat, or at the very least, he's in love with her. Awkward...

That blood dragon about kicked my ass, but I overcame! Still haven't found Sam yet, but I'll get to the bottom of this today.

In the end Markarth was a very cool looking city, but I had hoped to hike there on my own one day, not end up there after a night of drunken mishaps.

As for the crashing, I'm on ps3 and we've had one crash (it was more of a freeze lol). We've got two saves with 30ish and 50ish hours on them.

And I'm an Imperial. I tend to play this over and over, so I'm sure I'll be something more exciting next time.

WhiteWhale
11-26-2011, 07:47 AM
This is NOT how I wanted to find Markarth!
So there I was looking for a guy in a bar in Whiterun. I don't frequent this bar often, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to get to know the regulars a bit.

First guy I talk to looks like a monk, but he challenges me to a drinking contest. Me? I'll admit, I do have some major issues with men constantly thinking that because I'm a woman I can't hold my ales, so I am easily goaded into drinking too much, but there's no way I'm letting this pansy in a dress out drink me! And he claims he'll give me a staff if I beat him. He's on!

He starts the contest and I quickly match him. He goes again and already he starts complaining of not being able to hold his drink. By the 3rd round, I know I have this in the bag.

And then BAM! I'm out like a light. That bastard had to have put something in my drink. No way am I that much of a light weight.

Next thing I know I wake up in a temple in Markarth with some snotty woman blaming me for things that I have no recollection of.

So then begins the long trail of retracing my steps and finding this Sam guy.

As I'm walking my hungover ass back to Riorkstead (I've been told I was there?!?!), I come across a cave that required an ivory claw to proceed, a blood dragon, and a couple of Forsworn camps. Then I find a man who may possibly be married to his goat, or at the very least, he's in love with her. Awkward...

That blood dragon about kicked my ass, but I overcame! Still haven't found Sam yet, but I'll get to the bottom of this today.

In the end Markarth was a very cool looking city, but I had hoped to hike there on my own one day, not end up there after a night of drunken mishaps.

As for the crashing, I'm on ps3 and we've had one crash (it was more of a freeze lol). We've got two saves with 30ish and 50ish hours on them.

And I'm an Imperial. I tend to play this over and over, so I'm sure I'll be something more exciting next time.

Ah, the Hangover quest.

Awesome reward at the end.

Also, I'm not sure how many people noticed this but it took me a LONG time. There is a carriage next to the stables in large cities that will take you to most of the major cities in Skyrim.

patteeu
11-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Is there much value in the breathing underwater capability of the Argonians?

WhiteWhale
11-26-2011, 08:17 AM

I haven't needed any form of water breathing anything in this ES game.

In the others it was useful, but I'd rather take other race bonuses. I'd rather have 25% magic resistance or 50% fire/frost resistance than an ability that, so far in this game, appears useless and can easily be found on an enchanted ring/necklace.

Kajiit, however, have the +15 in unarmed combat. So with a high heavy armor rating and the perk that turns your gauntlet rating into an attack rating... they can have attack ratings of 80+ without a weapon. As far as the beast races go, the cat folk get nod in this one.

WhiteWhale
11-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Dude, you have a disease. Go to magic and go to the very bottom and look at your active effects. Guaranteed you have some kind of disease. Get a potion, drink it, and they'll stop telling you you look sick.

I dunno...

I always stop at alters and cure myself.

I can cure myself and then talk to an innkeeper and they tell me I look sick.

Do I need to rest after curing myself? I haven't figured it out. There's something that causes them to say it even when you're not sick.

Also, I have had no crashing problems at all on PC. This game has been considerably more stable than Oblivion plays on my system right now.

Dave Lane
11-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Turned into a Vampire got some interesting perks but not sure how to drink blood yet and if I don't people attack me on sight Hmmmm...

WhiteWhale
11-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Turned into a Vampire got some interesting perks but not sure how to drink blood yet and if I don't people attack me on sight Hmmmm...

I think you just use a drain spell that comes with being a vampire.

I think you can do something by 'activating' people while they sleep too.

Not for sure though. I've cured myself each time I caught the disease fighting vampires.

Dave Lane
11-26-2011, 09:39 AM
I think you just use a drain spell that comes with being a vampire.

I think you can do something by 'activating' people while they sleep too.

Not for sure though. I've cured myself each time I caught the disease fighting vampires.

How do you cure yourself?

Mr. Laz
11-26-2011, 10:40 AM
How do you cure yourself?go to your local temple and click on the altar. They give you a blessing too.

Blessing of Akatosh
- Magicka regenerates 10% faster
- Cure Disease
Blessing of Arkay
- Increases your health by 25 points
- Cure Disease
Blessing of Dibella
- Increase Speechcraft by 10 points
- Cure Disease
Blessing of Julianos
- Increase Magicka by 25 points
- Cure Disease
Blessing of Kynareth
- Increase Stamina by 25 points
- Cure Disease
Blessing of Mara
- Healing Spells restores 10% more
- Cure Disease
Blessing of Nocturnal
- Increase the Sneak ability by 10%
- Cure Disease
Blessing of Stendarr
- Block 10% more damage with your shield.
- Cure Disease
Blessing of Talos
- Time between shouts is reduced 20%.
- Cure Disease
Blessing of Zenithar
- Prices are 10% better
- Cure Disease
The Gift of Charity
- Increase speechcraft by 10 points in 3600 seconds

Frazod
11-26-2011, 10:55 AM
No.

I'd leave it at that, but now I'm curious as to why you asked.

Oh, I figured that out of the blue insult was in response to my name change.

Perhaps it's just because your parents were brother and sister.

Mr. Laz
11-26-2011, 10:57 AM

no, there are a few rooms you can't get to unless you can breathe underwater but there are other ways. I have a necklace that i carry around that lets me breathe underwater when i need it.

Mr. Laz
11-26-2011, 11:01 AM
So is there a character status screen where you can tell what disease you have etc?

I found the one that tells your history but not current status. :shrug:

Frazod
11-26-2011, 11:28 AM
So is there a character status screen where you can tell what disease you have etc?

I found the one that tells your history but not current status. :shrug:

I think it's in the magic menu at the bottom under current effects.

SomeRandomGirl
11-26-2011, 12:23 PM
I think it's in the magic menu at the bottom under current effects.

Yes that's definately where it is.

Has anyone noticed that when you have the blessing of Talos that if you go onto that same magic screen, it will say:
Time between shouts is reduced 0%.

I'm wondering if this is just a mistake on the ps3 version or what.

And random question, has anyone found out what the grain mills are for. I tried using it with wheat in my possession and nothing. Maybe it's just for fun?

SomeRandomGirl
11-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Oh and I finished that quest I referenced earlier. Has anyone else gone back to that place after finishing? I went back as I hadn't gotten all of the stuff (good thing too as there were 2 skill books there; destruction and smithing) and I found an interesting scene.

Pestilence
11-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Fighting two giants and it freezes. This game is starting to get on my nerves.

Pestilence
11-26-2011, 04:13 PM
6 times today.....WTF....

Pants
11-26-2011, 04:17 PM
6 times today.....WTF....

That is weird, man. I have over 30 hours played and no crashes yet.

[probably just jinxed myself]

Pestilence
11-26-2011, 04:18 PM
And I'm done. I'm not buying this shit until they release a patch that fixes this bullshit.

pr_capone
11-26-2011, 04:42 PM
And I'm done. I'm not buying this shit until they release a patch that fixes this bullshit.

I've had a few random crashes but nothing major or continuous.

Pestilence
11-26-2011, 04:52 PM
I've had a few random crashes but nothing major or continuous.

I literally can't go more than 5 minutes before it freezes on Autosave.

Kraus
11-26-2011, 05:35 PM
That is weird, man. I have over 30 hours played and no crashes yet.

[probably just jinxed myself]

My game crashed in the first loading screen I ever got to. Hasn't happened since.

Fairplay
11-26-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm not having any problems with the game. Maybe you have a virus.

Count Zarth
11-26-2011, 05:54 PM
I love that the guy who did the voiceover in the trailers is a major character in the game. His voice is awesome.

Frazod
11-26-2011, 05:55 PM
The cocksucker's crashed my computer three times since the game ended. It's really maddening.

To those of you who aren't having problems, considering yourselves lucky.

Looks like I'm going to have to lower the graphics from high to medium and hope they get off their asses and get that patch done.

Count Zarth
11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Are you using the large address aware patch?

Also, just read a cool book on the Falmer.

The Falmer were once snow elves. They lost a war with the nords and were driven underground, where the dwarves gave them sanctuary. But the dwarves didn't trust them, and made them eat toxic fungi, which rendered them blind. They enslaved the falmer and made the fungi a part of their regular diet, creating generations of blind falmer slaves. The falmer rose up in resistance and there was a huge underground war nobody knew about but the falmer and the dwarves. The Falmer were getting ready to launch a huge final assault on the dwarves when they all up and vanished without a trace. And so the Falmer inherited the dwarven ruins.

Hopefully we find out what happened to the dwarves, cus this might be my favorite backstory so far.

Buck
11-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I stabbed the fuck out of this dragon right in his dome.
http://i.imgur.com/0KJhn.jpg

Frazod
11-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Are you using the large address aware patch?

YES, I AM. Doesn't help. I've also moved my fucking computer so that gets complete circulation. I also have a goddamn fan pointed at it.

Perhaps I should throw it in the fucking refrigerator and run cables through the bullet hole. That might help. :grr:

Pestilence
11-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm not having any problems with the game. Maybe you have a virus.

On my PS3?

Count Zarth
11-26-2011, 06:44 PM
YES, I AM. Doesn't help. I've also moved my fucking computer so that gets complete circulation. I also have a goddamn fan pointed at it.

Perhaps I should throw it in the fucking refrigerator and run cables through the bullet hole. That might help. :grr:

If you're having heat issues you probably need a new power supply.

Mr. Laz
11-26-2011, 06:53 PM
The one who sucks the penis's crashed my computer three times since the game ended. It's really maddening.

To those of you who aren't having problems, considering yourselves lucky.

Looks like I'm going to have to lower the graphics from high to medium and hope they get off their asses and get that patch done.
do you have an app that tells you what the temp of your computer actually is?

does you video card have a fan? Is the vid card fan clean?

first that gets screwed by temperature is usually the memory, are you overclocking it?

Frazod
11-26-2011, 10:17 PM
If you're having heat issues you probably need a new power supply.

My computer is a build - I have good components. It hasn't been upgraded in a couple of years, though.

I think I will take Laz's advice and give it a good air blasting and check the fans.

Count Zarth
11-26-2011, 10:20 PM
My computer is a build - I have good components. It hasn't been upgraded in a couple of years, though.

I think I will take Laz's advice and give it a good air blasting and check the fans.

Well, I used to have all kinds of issues with heat-related crashes until I replaced my power supply. I thought it the game I was playing, too, but it was definitely my PSU.

Frazod
11-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Well, I used to have all kinds of issues with heat-related crashes until I replaced my power supply. I thought it the game I was playing, too, but it was definitely my PSU.

If the problems persist past the first patch I'll start checking hardware.

Frazod
11-27-2011, 03:02 AM
Here's a word to the wise - be careful that you don't prematurely clear an area and fuck up an entire quest line as a result.

I cleared a dungeon without thinking about it - just seemed like the thing to do. Later, a companion quest ended and it seemed like the following quest should begin, but it didn't. I checked the guide book, and it turned out that the next thing I needed to find was in the previously cleared dungeon, and one of the companions was supposed to accompany me on the quest. I went back to the dungeon and the thing I needed to find wasn't there. Entire companion quest line dead. Fuck. Normally there are safeguard if you do something like this, but apparently not this time.

So I lost about 8 hours of game time.

:cuss:

Mr. Laz
11-27-2011, 09:34 AM
So I lost about 8 hours of game time.

oh noes ... frazod just lost 8 out of 919919919919191 hours.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/47756506_6a61ef1c52.jpg

:evil:

Pestilence
11-27-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't fucking get it.

Haven't played since yesterday. Start the game up.....walk 5 feet......game fucking freezes.

Frazod
11-27-2011, 11:01 AM
oh noes ... frazod just lost 8 out of 919919919919191 hours.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/47756506_6a61ef1c52.jpg

:evil:

I actually just decided to start over, knowing some key mistakes that I made in things like character development. Need more destructive magic. Going the dark elf route this time. And I'll check the guide before I randomly go through any dungeons.

Mr. Laz
11-27-2011, 11:13 AM
I actually just decided to start over, knowing some key mistakes that I made in things like character development. Need more destructive magic. Going the dark elf route this time. And I'll check the guide before I randomly go through any dungeons.

wow ... all that work and you are starting over?

:eek:

SomeRandomGirl
11-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Anyone else feel like you're leveling up too fast?

I tried just not actually leveling up when I was able to, but then realized that it would just make me do all the levels at once. Kind of ticked me off, because then I lost my ability to use a trainer on any of the levels I was forced to do at the same time.

I realize that it will slow down later, but I just feel like I've blown through the first ones too much.

Mr. Laz
11-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Are there any significant differences in the races? I mean you start out with certain skill bonuses but it's not like that makes you any stronger in the long run. The only real difference are the special race skills like underwater breathing or imperial shout etc.

or am i missing something?

Count Zarth
11-27-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/m0e2a/complete_list_of_skyrim_race_differences/

Each race has something specific.

Ancestor’s Wrath : For 60 seconds, opponents that get too close take 8 points per second of fire damage.

Resist Fire – Your Dunmer blood gives you 50% resistance to fire.

Frazod
11-27-2011, 12:57 PM
wow ... all that work and you are starting over?

:eek:

I wouldn't exactly call it work. :D

And I would have done this eventually anyway. The first go-around was a learning experience. When I play a game like this, I'm a completionist, and I want to develop my character as efficiently as possible. I don't want to screw anything up because I just randomly wandered past a dungeon and cleared it. From now on I'll make sure it's not important first. And I will be more careful with my perks and rare resources this time now that I know what not to do with them.

Mr Luzcious
11-27-2011, 01:02 PM

And I would have done this eventually anyway. The first go-around was a learning experience. When I play a game like this, I'm a completionist, and I want to develop my character as efficiently as possible. I don't want to screw anything up because I just randomly wandered past a dungeon and cleared it. From now on I'll make sure it's not important first. And I will be more careful with my perks and rare resources this time now that I know what not to do with them.

I did the same thing, 25 hours in and I decided to start over and not waste so many perks. Also destruction levels way, way, way slower than conjuring/one handed has on the restart.

Count Zarth
11-27-2011, 01:10 PM

Start divorce proceedings.

BossChief
11-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Question:

I am a high elf and some people say "you dont look so good"

Is that normal?

Fried Meat Ball!
11-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Question:

I am a high elf and some people say "you dont look so good"

Is that normal?

You have a disease. Go to your magic page and scroll all the way down to "Active Effects." Listed there, you'll see what's wrong with you.

Mr. Laz
11-27-2011, 04:43 PM

i guess the rumors about you being 'anal' were true.

or was it getting anal?

oh well, i guess both apply.

:D

Fairplay
11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
The Pelagius wing quest was awful.

Pestilence
11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
When the fuck does this stupid patch come out? Because this shit is pissing me off.

Frazod
11-27-2011, 07:53 PM
i guess the rumors about you being 'anal' were true.

or was it getting anal?

oh well, i guess both apply.

:D

That wasn't very nice. nlm

Pants
11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
When the fuck does this stupid patch come out? Because this shit is pissing me off.

Is everyone on PS3 constantly crashing as well? I honestly don't know, but it sounds like it just might be an individual console issue.

demonhero
11-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Is everyone on PS3 constantly crashing as well? I honestly don't know, but it sounds like it just might be an individual console issue.

Ya, bought this piece to play on my down-time. It has frozen twice on the loading scene after I've fallen of the mountains. Also, noticed that it gets rather laggy (texture wise) on the ps3 as well.

Count Zarth
11-27-2011, 10:12 PM
That's because ps3 sucks a huge cock ass.

Pestilence
11-27-2011, 11:13 PM

Looked it up online and it looks like PS3 has the biggest issue when it comes to this game. Apparently a patch is supposed to be released this week that improves "long term playability".

I rented the game from Redbox in hopes that I could play it for the next couple of days to get a feel for it. It looks like I'll be returning this shit and then I'll buy it after Christmas.

Dave Lane
11-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I love that the guy who did the voiceover in the trailers is a major character in the game. His voice is awesome.

I think it's Max Von Sydow. And I am 150 hours in and have only had 1 crash.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
just had my first 'sort of' crash last night

went to blacksmith to sell a ton of stuff and i guess selling all that crap at once sort of bugged it out. It didn't completely quit, i just lost control of my character and the camera starting bugging out. Couldn't save either. :hmmm:

PC version

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Only one crash on PS3 for me -- constant framerate issues are coming up now that I've put a good many hours into this character.

Frazod
11-28-2011, 10:01 AM
I've got my new character up to level 9. Focusing on magic at first, got the dual offensive spell thing going. Hit the mage's college first, after that it's off to join the Dark Brotherhood. :thumb:

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2011, 10:03 AM
PS3 patch is already live in Europe -- it's 92 MB in size!

WhiteWhale
11-28-2011, 10:07 AM

That's ridiculous.

Games that require THAT big of a patch are simply unfinished products at release. I hate how this has become the status quo.

Pestilence
11-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Any word on when it's going to be released in the US?

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Any word on when it's going to be released in the US?

No word yet... Unfortunately people are reporting that the framerate/slideshow issues still persist after the update -- after patching, save files go down a few MBs in size but after player for a few hours, framerate issues reappear...

Fuck.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453515&page=2

Pestilence
11-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Way to go Bethesda. Looks like I'll be returning the rental and waiting a couple of months before buying it.

Pants
11-28-2011, 10:20 AM
That's ridiculous.

Games that require THAT big of a patch are simply unfinished products at release. I hate how this has become the status quo.

When you make an absolute whale of a game like Skyrim, issues are bound to prop up. I can't say I blame Bethesda.

WhiteWhale
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
just had my first 'sort of' crash last night

went to blacksmith to sell a ton of stuff and i guess selling all that crap at once sort of bugged it out. It didn't completely quit, i just lost control of my character and the camera starting bugging out. Couldn't save either. :hmmm:

PC version

I had some issues last night.

I was going apeshit pick-pocketing everything in sight and my screen froze up twice. Had to close the program and restart it.

Cave Johnson
11-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Other than freezing (which has happened more frequently the longer I've played), I ran across a mission that can't be completed because I already had an item in inventory.

Also, completing the Thieves Guild questline is some seriously pointless BS.

Sofa King
11-28-2011, 10:48 AM
What do you guys generally do when you're walking in the middle of nowhere and you meet up with some bitches hauling a prisoner? i generally don't do shit and go about my business but i hammered some thalmor crew down last night. We'll have to see how this plays out.

Pestilence
11-28-2011, 11:03 AM
What do you guys generally do when you're walking in the middle of nowhere and you meet up with some bitches hauling a prisoner? i generally don't do shit and go about my business but i hammered some thalmor crew down last night. We'll have to see how this plays out.

I have a serious problem in these types of games....where I get bored and kill random people. It never seems to work out well.

On a side note....I started my Dark Elf character for the first time....and accidently killed Gerder (or whatever her name is) in the beginning. So I ended up having to restart my character over again.

Pants
11-28-2011, 11:07 AM

If you come up to the prisoner and talk to him, it gives you an option to free him and also equip him with weapons/armor. I rescued a Nord from the dirty fucking Thalmor one time and another time I rescued a Stormcloak from the dirty fucking Empire. This was before I joined the Stormcloaks and realized that Ulfric is a milder version of Hitler (maybe I can eventually change him).

Pestilence
11-28-2011, 12:27 PM
So apparently PS3 players in the US should be getting the patch anytime now. The patch for the 360 and PC will be released Wednesday. I'm on my phone....so I can't post a link.

Sofa King
11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
If you come up to the prisoner and talk to him, it gives you an option to free him and also equip him with weapons/armor. I rescued a Nord from the dirty ****ing Thalmor one time and another time I rescued a Stormcloak from the dirty ****ing Empire. This was before I joined the Stormcloaks and realized that Ulfric is a milder version of Hitler (maybe I can eventually change him).

I actually haven't decided to join the stormcloaks or the imperials yet. Thinking i'll go with the imperials. That Ulric and his helpers are fucking pricks.

Pants
11-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I actually haven't decided to join the stormcloaks or the imperials yet. Thinking i'll go with the imperials. That Ulric and his helpers are ****ing pricks.

I really want to side with the underdog side trying to fight for their independence and the right to worship whatever God they want, but Jesus, did they really have to make Ulfric such a racist, bigoted piece of shit? DAMMIT!

I'm not even a Nord in the game. The conversation between me and the Stormcloak 2nd in command was hilarious.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2011, 12:45 PM
i went to free Gray-Mane at a fort out in the BFE. It said i was supposed to 'find a way to free him' and instead i just killed everyone. I don't think i was supposed to do that.

later on i showed up at Solitude and some law dude said i had a 1000 gold bounty. :shrug:

I tend to kill first and ask questions later so i haven't picked a side at all.

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2011, 12:49 PM
PS3 patch is now live.

Pestilence
11-28-2011, 12:52 PM
PS3 patch is now live.

Sweet. Have you downloaded and tried it out?

Pants
11-28-2011, 12:54 PM
i went to free Gray-Mane at a fort out in the BFE. It said i was supposed to 'find a way to free him' and instead i just killed everyone. I don't think i was supposed to do that.

later on i showed up at Solitude and some law dude said i had a 1000 gold bounty. :shrug:

I tend to kill first and ask questions later so i haven't picked a side at all.

Ya, I slayed them all too. Haven't been to Solitude yet. Have you guys done any of the Orc Fortresses quests yet? I went into a huge dungeon for those assholes, came back with the item they wanted, they made me a blood-kin or whatever but I'm still hated when I talk to them. I felt like wiping them all out after that but figured I'd just leave them alone.

*COMPANION QUESTLINE SPOILER BELOW*

So old man Kodlak sent me in to kill some witches and bring their heads back. When I came back, the dude is dead in Jorrvaskr. Should I keep the heads? I have 5 of them and they're 4 pounds a piece. Kind of annoying...

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Sweet. Have you downloaded and tried it out?

Will download and test as soon as I get off work. Reports are showing that a lot of the quest bugs have been fixed. Framerate issue is apparently still sorta spotty.

Pestilence
11-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm just hoping that it fixes the problem of freezing for me.

I literally load the game up....walk 5 feet....and it freezes completely.

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2011, 12:56 PM

How big (in MB) is your save file?

Sofa King
11-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Are you sure that isn't just an ice spell?

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
1.2 patch notes

Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
Dragon corpses now clean up properly
Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

Pestilence
11-28-2011, 01:00 PM
How big (in MB) is your save file?

The last time I checked it was around 6MB....but I'm not positive.

Sofa King
11-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm going to be working on smithing a bunch of shit pretty quick. Any recommendations other than whats been posted the last couple pages?

Fried Meat Ball!
11-28-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm going to be working on smithing a bunch of shit pretty quick. Any recommendations other than whats been posted the last couple pages?

I got to where I just wanted my dragon armor, so I spent every dime I had on materials. Made a buttload of daggers and boots and rings. Thinking back, I'd have worked on smithing and enchanting at the same time. Make 'em at the smith, enchant 'em, then sell 'em.

Pants
11-28-2011, 02:06 PM
I got to where I just wanted my dragon armor, so I spent every dime I had on materials. Made a buttload of daggers and boots and rings. Thinking back, I'd have worked on smithing and enchanting at the same time. Make 'em at the smith, enchant 'em, then sell 'em.

That's what I do.

The easiest way to level is Iron Daggers or Leather Bracers, I think. If you need money, use the alteration spell to transform all your iron ore into silver/gold and use all your unnecessary gems to create rings/necklaces and then enchant them. The shitty part about that is that you can only sell them to 2 merchants in Whiterun who are both pretty poor. You have a lot more freedom with armor and weapons. Also, it takes forever to transmute if you're like me and only have 100 points of Magicka (the spell costs 80).

Buck
11-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Man I've held off on playing the last couple days because I'm getting a sweet pair of headphones in tomorrow. It's killing me waiting all this time.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2011, 02:40 PM

quantity over quality

it doesn't seem to matter what you make just how much you make. So don't make good stuff just make the cheapest junk you can.

leather bracers takes 2 leather,1leather strip
studded helmet(i think) takes 1 leather and 2 leather strips

Helmet value is 60 versus bracers which are 25 but i just make whatever have have left.

daggers are cheap

i also turn around and enchant all the daggers and crap i make with petty soul enchants to level up that.

If you need you can enchant daggers with soul capture and then switch weapons and save yourself charges. Or you really want to get picky can enchant a bunch of cheap stuff with smithing,alchemy and merchant price bonuses. It's on 1-3% with petty soul enchants but you can improve skill by 10% or so.

Sofa King
11-28-2011, 02:50 PM
I've got my smithing up to 97, just ran out of time trying to get to 100.

Now i'm just trying to figure out what i actually want enchant on to my equip when i make it but i found a youtube video that gave me some ideas.

Got everything i need to at least make the armors, just gotta work on enchant now.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Now i'm just trying to figure out what i actually want enchant on to my equip when i make it but i found a youtube video that gave me some ideas.

Got everything i need to at least make the armors, just gotta work on enchant now.

Just FYI, there are no dragon weapons.

I was also quite disappointed you can't smith arrows.

Count Zarth
11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Just FYI, there are no dragon weapons.

I was also quite disappointed you can't smith arrows.

There's a mod for that. I've been crafting ebony arrows for a week. :evil:

Getting to be a bitch carrying around firewood, though. Gives you a reason to chop wood, though.

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2011, 05:41 PM
This "Blackreach" cavern is beautiful.. Best looking part of the game I've seen in 40 hours of play.
Currently on "Elder Knowledge" main quest.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1664/screenshot162y.jpg

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/632983187952751443/A84DA3740AEA7AFB9CD91039594B1E63E45B278B/

Count Zarth
11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Did you find all 30 Crimson Nirnroots? :evil:

I love how Blackreach connects to all the dwarven ruins. There are several "gatehouse" doors that lead to nothing but stone rooms, which I thought were uncompleted parts of the game.

Turns out the other side of those stone rooms is a dwarven mechanism to open a ruin up to Blackreach.

Frazod
11-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Just remember, you can't add enchantments to existing stuff. That killed me.

And be very conservative with your dragon scales. You'll run out of those faster than the bone (especially if you have a light armor character). I foolishly made Lydia a set of dragonbone armor and really regretted it later.

QuikSsurfer
11-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Did you find all 30 Crimson Nirnroots? :evil:

I love how Blackreach connects to all the dwarven ruins. There are several "gatehouse" doors that lead to nothing but stone rooms, which I thought were uncompleted parts of the game.

Turns out the other side of those stone rooms is a dwarven mechanism to open a ruin up to Blackreach.

Did not find a single one -- I had other business down there, daedric business -- I did, however, grab the journal to activate that nirnroot quest :)
I reached Blackreach from the dwarven mechanism -- well, the staircase down from it.

Count Zarth
11-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Yeah, there are several of those staircases. It's pretty rad.

Didn't realize there were other quests.

FYI, if you Fus Ro Dah the giant gong in the middle of the central city, something cool happens. You'll need to get close to the gong, though.

WhiteWhale
11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
quantity over quality

it doesn't seem to matter what you make just how much you make. So don't make good stuff just make the cheapest junk you can.

leather bracers takes 2 leather,1leather strip
studded helmet(i think) takes 1 leather and 2 leather strips

Helmet value is 60 versus bracers which are 25 but i just make whatever have have left.

daggers are cheap

i also turn around and enchant all the daggers and crap i make with petty soul enchants to level up that.

If you need you can enchant daggers with soul capture and then switch weapons and save yourself charges. Or you really want to get picky can enchant a bunch of cheap stuff with smithing,alchemy and merchant price bonuses. It's on 1-3% with petty soul enchants but you can improve skill by 10% or so.

Hell yeah. Acquiring the hundreds of soul gems is the hardest part.

Phase 1 - Acquire materials and make mass amounts of daggers.

Phase 2- Enchant daggers with weak soul gems (damage fatigue and turn undead seem to add a lot of value)

Phase 3 - Profit

No ?? at all.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Hell yeah. Acquiring the hundreds of soul gems is the hardest part.

Phase 1 - Acquire materials and make mass amounts of daggers.

Phase 2- Enchant daggers with weak soul gems (damage fatigue and turn undead seem to add a lot of value)

Phase 3 - Profit

No ?? at all.

Sneak is the best enchantment I've found for adding value to rings.

Buck
11-28-2011, 08:44 PM
P.S. That sound that Nirnoots make when you stumble upon them is fucking creepy. I always think I'm about to be attacked by some wizard or something when I hear it.

Count Zarth
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
P.S. That sound that Nirnoots make when you stumble upon them is fucking creepy. I always think I'm about to be attacked by some wizard or something when I hear it.

LMAO

That's funny. As soon as I heard that sound I knew it was a Nirnroot.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2011, 09:06 PM
need quest help

at the mage college you find the magnus eye or whatever and you go talk to the dead voice dude in the dungeon (dagnuir?). Dead voice tells you to find staff of dagnuir, go talk to head mage. i talk to him but he doesn't really do anything. Quest arrow is still telling me to talk to head mage but all the speech options are done already with him.

either i've got a glitch or i'm supposed to do something and then talk to him again.

Journal doesn't tell me. (as usual :cuss: )

Do i need to find the staff and then go back?

where should i start looking?

thanks

Buck
11-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I finally found my second Dragon Priest mask.

Was pretty disappointed how easy it was to acquire compared to the first one.

Buck
11-28-2011, 09:19 PM
What is the name of the quest, Laz?

Buck
11-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Uhhh, fuck guys....

Everytime I go to start skyrim it crashes right after I hit continue game. The load screen shows, but poof, crash. EVERY TIME.

What can I do?

KCrockaholic
11-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Uhhh, **** guys....

Everytime I go to start skyrim it crashes right after I hit continue game. The load screen shows, but poof, crash. EVERY TIME.

What can I do?

Weird. PS3 right?

Buck
11-28-2011, 10:23 PM
PC.

Someone from another forum says Validate your files.

Trying that now, hopefully that works.

Swanman
11-29-2011, 07:55 AM
I am about 15 hours in, and at level 18. I am using a Breton and mainly I am a dual-casting destruction guy after summoning my kickass flame atronach. I started doing the smithing and enchanting stuff (thanks for all the tips) and am up to level 50 in smithing and near 40 in enchanting. I just created my first elven armor to give an armor boost for the time being, although I will probably enchant it with something that will give a magicka restore boost like the robes I was wearing.

Got a question about the Companions quests....
If you agree to become a werewolf, does it pigeonhole your character in any way? I want to continue on with the companions but I don't want to hugely limit my character with other storylines

WhiteWhale
11-29-2011, 09:00 AM
I am about 15 hours in, and at level 18. I am using a Breton and mainly I am a dual-casting destruction guy after summoning my kickass flame atronach. I started doing the smithing and enchanting stuff (thanks for all the tips) and am up to level 50 in smithing and near 40 in enchanting. I just created my first elven armor to give an armor boost for the time being, although I will probably enchant it with something that will give a magicka restore boost like the robes I was wearing.

Got a question about the Companions quests....
If you agree to become a werewolf, does it pigeonhole your character in any way? I want to continue on with the companions but I don't want to hugely limit my character with other storylines

No, becoming a werewolf won't hinder any quests that I know of. People will comment about you smelling like a dog and you cannot obtain the 'rested' status from sleeping. At the end of the quest you will have an option to cure yourself. Just make sure to get TWO heads so you have one for yourself (you'll know what I mean when you get there). I'm pretty sure becoming a werewolf is the only way to finish the companions quest. Eat some people and have some fun with it, then cure yourself.

WhiteWhale
11-29-2011, 09:01 AM

Good find. I'm always finding rings anyway, but I wasn't finding many enchantments that added good value.

Pestilence
11-29-2011, 09:36 AM
So I downloaded the update last night.....loaded my character and it froze immediately. I went in and deleted all of my files and started over. I got to just outside Whiterun last night....so we'll see what happens tonight. It seemed to be freezing anytime I was in Whiterun.

Dave Lane
11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
By the way if you become a vampire you can't be cured at a shrine.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-29-2011, 10:10 AM
By the way if you become a vampire you can't be cured at a shrine.

Yeah, that works only if you've contracted the disease. Once you've gone full vampire, you have to do a cure vampirism quest.

Frazod
11-29-2011, 10:14 AM
I had started over, but I think I'm going back to my original character. I just don't like playing a mage. At all.

pr_capone
11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
I had started over, but I think I'm going back to my original character. I just don't like playing a mage. At all.

Mage sucks at first... woefully under powered but it gets better.

Mr Luzcious
11-29-2011, 10:20 AM

If you wait long enough in game, that dungeon you accidentally (prematurely) cleared should reset, by the way. If you don't want to replay those 8 hours.

I ended up clearing the dungeon for the Azura's Star quest right at the beginning of the game, but the necromancers had come back by the time I got the quest.

Mr Luzcious
11-29-2011, 10:21 AM

It seemed way too easy once I got the destruction stagger perk.

Fairplay
11-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Sadly i started out as mage putting a lot of perk points in destruction. I finally seen the light using my bow, i almost have my bow lit up like a Christmas tree in perks now.

Killing and taking names.

Count Zarth
11-29-2011, 10:28 AM
When you get the fireball spell and the ability to dual cast it you won't be whining about mage. :drool:

Pestilence
11-29-2011, 10:30 AM
ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SW4mcNhNuws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pr_capone
11-29-2011, 10:30 AM
When you get the fireball spell and the ability to dual cast it you won't be whining about mage. :drool:

Nope... then you will be whining about how fast your mana goes away. lol

Fairplay
11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SW4mcNhNuws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I tried that it does work. But when i was stealing the bucket came off the lady, then they were on my case for ripping them off.

"Been caught stealing"

Fish
11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
ROFL

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SW4mcNhNuws" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

You've got to be shitting me........

QuikSsurfer
11-29-2011, 10:48 AM
This does work :)

Break that line of sight and you're good to rob

WhiteWhale
11-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Actually I felt the complete opposite.

I raged on everyone early on with my power destruction build. I just kept equipping things that reduced MP cost for destruction spells (or spell casting in general). At one point Expert level spells were barely putting a dent in my MP supply.

However, without spell crafting the effectiveness of the Mage is just not near what it used to be.

I restarted, rather annoyed, that spell casting had taken such an enormous step backwards.

Better off just pumping up the bow for ranged attacks.

Restoration though is bad ass. Wards rule. Love the addition of those spells.

Buck
11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Nope... then you will be whining about how fast your mana goes away. lol

This.

Ie stuck to the regular lightning bolts (adept). They seem to get the job done for very little magicka.

Swanman
11-29-2011, 12:30 PM
This.

Ie stuck to the regular lightning bolts (adept). They seem to get the job done for very little magicka.

I find being a mage is fun as long as I don't just run in guns blazing to a battle. If possible I will sneak shoot someone with my bow, then once stuff goes down I will first summon a flame atronach then fire up the duel flames to finish things off. If needed, run around for a bit healing myself.

Setsuna
11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
The wards I don't understand. Do you have to keep casting it for it to work? Because I don't see any visual effect like if you cast oakflesh. Is it channeled so to speak? And if so, can you swing a weapon with the other hand if it is channeled??? HELP!

Fried Meat Ball!
11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
The wards I don't understand. Do you have to keep casting it for it to work? Because I don't see any visual effect like if you cast oakflesh. Is it channeled so to speak? And if so, can you swing a weapon with the other hand if it is channeled??? HELP!

You do have to recast one a spell hits it. That's all I can answer.

Setsuna
11-29-2011, 01:47 PM
You do have to recast one a spell hits it. That's all I can answer.

Isn't it both armor and magic resist or something? I say this because you can continue casting it forever unlike oakflesh which stops and covers your body.

Mr. Laz
11-29-2011, 07:25 PM
never got the hang of wards myself, i just go sneaky offense

sneak up and lay rune trap
back up and summon Atronach
get double fireball/storm/lightening spell ready

bad guy comes after atronarch
steps on rune
gets blasted by atronarch
gets blasted with dual spell by me twice
switch to bow with poison damage(from potion) until mana recovers

Buck
11-29-2011, 09:26 PM
I think they got a little too carried away with Blackreach.

I don't know where the fuck to find the shit I need.

Frazod
11-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Man, I've about had it with this twitchy cocksucker. It has crashed my computer FOUR FUCKING TIMES in the past hour. Never in combat twice while dealing with a shopkeeper, once while talking with another character and once while examining the fucking map.

This fucking patch better fucking work. 4321

Frazod
11-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Well, make that five crashes - this thing has given me fits, but tonight it's moved up to a whole new level. The game is pretty much unplayable as it stands right now. Haven't done anything or loaded anything different since the last time I played a couple of nights ago. I even deleted all my excess saved games thinking that might help - nothing.

Maybe there is something wrong with my computer - but it just doesn't make any fucking sense that the crash would occur during dialogue, a map and an inventory check.

That patch is supposedly out today - I assume that probably means later in the day. So I'll try it, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll start pulling components.

Fuck.

Buck
11-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Is your whole computer crashing or just the game?

Frazod
11-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Is your whole computer crashing or just the game?

The whole computer goes - video cuts out completely, audio running but distorted. Keyboard goes dead. I've tried waiting it out - nothing. Bad enough when the game just dies, but these are the worst, and they certainly aren't good for the computer. I've probably had a 100 of them since I started playing this motherfucker.

Buck
11-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Yeah dude, sounds like your computer is too shitty to run the game.

Want to post specs?

Frazod
11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah dude, sounds like your computer is too shitty to run the game.

Want to post specs?

Processor:

2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6700
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Drives:

2300.47 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1473.82 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Hitachi HDE721010SLA330 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n STN607MS1B5G0K, rev ST6OA3AA, SMART Status: Healthy
Iomega E xternal HD USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 2, s/n , SMART Status: Healthy
ST3300620AS [Hard drive] (300.07 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5QF0J84J, rev 3.AAC, SMART Status: Healthy

RAM:

3328 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty

Display:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 [Display adapter]
Generic PnP Monitor (46.6"vis, August 2008)

Buck
11-29-2011, 11:41 PM
What? You have a 46.6" monitor?

Here is some dude having problems with his 280.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=216232

I don't know. That would suck if it's your power supply.

demonhero
11-29-2011, 11:44 PM
↨ http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

Frazod
11-29-2011, 11:44 PM
What? You have a 46.6" monitor?

Here is some dude having problems with his 280.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=216232

I don't know. That would suck if it's your power supply.

Yeah, it's called my TV. :D Although I don't have it hooked up to the TV at the moment - just my 24" monitor.

Actually, if it is the power supply it's not that big of a deal. I'm five minutes from a Tiger Direct and know enough to drop a replacement in myself. Just pissed about having to drop the extra cash, but I guess these things don't last forever.

I'll check the nvidia link. I did update the driver, though.

Frazod
11-29-2011, 11:49 PM
↨ http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

According to this I meet the minimum requirements but I need more RAM to meet the recommended requirements.

I can always drop in an extra couple of sticks, I guess.

Frazod
11-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Damn, RAM's gotten cheap. I can get 8GB for under $50, 16GB for under $100. Hell, I should do that anyway.

demonhero
11-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Ya, on Black Friday the 8gb (2 X 4gb) was on sale for like $23-30 free shipping online.

Frazod
11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Is RAM pretty much universal, or is there a specific type/brand I should get for my processor?

keg in kc
11-29-2011, 11:59 PM
It depends on your motherboard.

It also depends on your operating system. If you're running 32-bit XP/vista/windows 7, you have as much installed as you can use IIRC.

demonhero
11-30-2011, 12:00 AM
http://www.directron.com/p8gx3m2b1333c9.html

A little high, but if you cant wait.

Frazod
11-30-2011, 12:01 AM
It depends on your motherboard.

Specs for the motherboard:

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7353 1.0
Bus Clock: 267 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V2.4 11/06/2008

(Gotta love Belarc Advisor)

Frazod
11-30-2011, 12:02 AM
http://www.directron.com/p8gx3m2b1333c9.html

A little high, but if you cant wait.

Patience ain't one of my virtues, especially when I'm five minutes from TigerDirect. :)

keg in kc
11-30-2011, 12:02 AM

(Gotta love Belarc Advisor)Just in case you missed the second half I edited in later...

It also depends on your operating system. If you're running 32-bit XP/vista/windows 7, you have as much installed as you can use IIRC.

demonhero
11-30-2011, 12:05 AM
meh, you need to look and see if the motherboard with allow certain types, because you ultimately want the RAM speed to match the processor speed.

keg in kc
11-30-2011, 12:07 AM
meh, you need to look and see if the motherboard with allow certain types, because you ultimately want the RAM speed to match the processor speed.And certain motherboards (especially older ones) can't seat certain kinds of memory.

(Ran into this problem myself a few months ago)

Frazod
11-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Just in case you missed the second half I edited in later...

I have Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1.

keg in kc
11-30-2011, 12:09 AM
I have Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1.That still doesn't tell you if it's 32 or 64 bit. If you right click on "Computer" in your start menu and select Properties, it'll tell you what system type you have.

demonhero
11-30-2011, 12:10 AM
i lied.

Memory:
DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 PC3-10600

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Slots: 4
Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 PC3-10600 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

http://www.retrevo.com/support/MSI-MS-7353-manual/id/17246ag115/t/2/ (http://www.retrevo.com/support/MSI-MS-7353-manual/id/17246ag115/t/2/)

Frazod
11-30-2011, 12:15 AM
That still doesn't tell you if it's 32 or 64 bit. If you right click on "Computer" in your start menu and select Properties, it'll tell you what system type you have.

32 bit.

Fuck.

keg in kc
11-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Damn. Sorry Tim. You can do an upgrade to 64 from 32 like I did earlier in the year, but that would mean you'll have to backup and reinstall everything. Unfortunately you can't just go from 32 to 64, it's a clean install.

Buck
11-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Sounds like someone needs to build themselves a computer for Christmas.

demonhero
11-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Open up the Tower and tell me if its this http://www.comx-computers.co.za/MS-7353-010-specifications-16297.htm

From that fact sheet it says the motherboard takes DDR3 800/1066/1333

Frazod
11-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Damn. Sorry Tim. You can do an upgrade to 64 from 32 like I did earlier in the year, but that would mean you'll have to backup and reinstall everything. Unfortunately you can't just go from 32 to 64, it's a clean install.

Shit. I have an external backup drive, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world. Sounds like a pain in the ass that's beyond my ability to take care of on my own, though. Must place call to IT geek friend.

Frazod
11-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Open up the Tower and tell me if its this http://www.comx-computers.co.za/MS-7353-010-specifications-16297.htm

From that fact sheet it says the motherboard takes DDR3 800/1066/1333

Yep, that's the one.

Fairplay
11-30-2011, 12:27 AM
I got a new computer this time last year. Cyberpower built it.

Completely satisfied. My only regret i didn't get a 64 bit HD.

keg in kc
11-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Shit. I have an external backup drive, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world. Sounds like a pain in the ass that's beyond my ability to take care of on my own, though. Must place call to IT geek friend.I think I just remembered something that may save you some money if you decide to go that route. Need to google real quick.

Fairplay
11-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Maybe do a defrag. And a good virus scan.

Goodluck Fraz.

keg in kc
11-30-2011, 12:33 AM
I think I just remembered something that may save you some money if you decide to go that route. Need to google real quick.Alright, as I recall from my own upgrade earlier in the year, you shouldn't need to purchase a new copy of window 7 professional just to go from 32-bit to 64-bit. Your code should work for either one (assuming you still have it). The code isn't locked to a certain type of system in that way. So all you need is a copy of windows 7 64-bit to install. Which you can get (completely legally - this is a direct download from digital river, a microsoft distributor) here (http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso).

If you want to try and get that part done, so you can install more RAM. Just remember that it's going to involve some work on your (or your geek friend's) part, since you have to do a clean install.

You may find your computer runs a lot better simply from the clean install, by the way. It's amazing the amount of bullshit you can collect over the years that bloats your PC.

Frazod
11-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Alright, as I recall from my own upgrade earlier in the year, you shouldn't need to purchase a new copy of window 7 professional just to go from 32-bit to 64-bit. Your code should work for either one (assuming you still have it). The code isn't locked to a certain type of system in that way. So all you need is a copy of windows 7 64-bit to install. Which you can get (completely legally) here (http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso).

If you want to try and get that part done, so you can install more RAM. Just remember that it's going to involve some work on your (or your geek friend's) part, since you have to do a clean install.

You may find your computer runs a lot better simply from the clean install, by the way. It's amazing the amount of bullshit you can collect over the years that bloats your PC.

I'll try that. For now, though, I've just reduced the graphics quality to low (which fucking sucks), but I played through about 10 minutes just now without any problems. I guess I'm in the kiddie pool until I deal with this.

Well, I'm off to bed. Thanks to everybody for all the help and guidance. :thumb:

Fairplay
11-30-2011, 12:39 AM

Interestingly i just found an old pic of a member on here just about an hour ago that i completely forgot about, its hilarious!

He posted it himself and i had to save it. I had an old one of beer me getting photoshopped but i think its lost.

I need to post it on here sometime.

patteeu
11-30-2011, 07:05 AM

(Gotta love Belarc Advisor)

Go to crucial.com and use their memory selector. Just enter your motherboard and it will tell you what types of memory you can use. Then you can just go to whatever vendor you prefer and search for that type of memory.

frankotank
11-30-2011, 09:38 AM
this is probably a stupid question. I don't care. I need to know!
if you start a new game, do you lose your old one? my son is playing and we aren't sure what will happen to his game if I try to start a new one for myself. anybody know? I'm assuming that you should be able to go to LOAD and select what you want to load, but I don't want him to lose his game if I'm wrong......

we use xbox 360....

loochy
11-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I'll probably pick this game up this weekend. Have any of you seen this game for cheap anywhere?

Fried Meat Ball!
11-30-2011, 09:42 AM
this is probably a stupid question. I don't care. I need to know!
if you start a new game, do you lose your old one? my son is playing and we aren't sure what will happen to his game if I try to start a new one for myself. anybody know? 'm assuming that you should be able to go to LOAD and select what you want to load, but I don't want him to lose his game if I'm wrong......

Just don't save over your old game and it's all good. My wife and I play separate characters all the time.

loochy
11-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Just don't save over your old game and it's all good. My wife and I play separate characters all the time.

OMG your wife plays?

Send me a memo before you die or get divorced. I'll take care of her.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-30-2011, 09:56 AM
OMG your wife plays?

Send me a memo before you die or get divorced. I'll take care of her.

Haha. She games way more than I do. I basically stick to Elder Scrolls and Madden (every now and then). She's into Elder Scrolls, Sims 3 (on the PC), Fable, stuff on the Wii... she played Oblivion for years. Literally never finished it until just before Skyrim was released.

Pestilence
11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't get it. Brand new character.....level 5 and now it locks up again. I don't know if my files are getting corrupted or what.

Sofa King
11-30-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't get it. Brand new character.....level 5 and now it locks up again. I don't know if my files are getting corrupted or what.

You playing on computer? Maybe you're having some of the same issues frazod is having.

MoreLemonPledge
You playing on computer? Maybe you're having some of the same issues frazod is having.

BUT CONSOLES ARE TERRIBLE

Pestilence
I load the file.....it loads.....I get the loading screen.....and then I get a black screen but I can hear the music.

Pestilence
11-30-2011, 10:01 AM

No.....PS3

WhiteWhale
11-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Is RAM pretty much universal, or is there a specific type/brand I should get for my processor?

Make sure it's compatible with the MB.

However, I'm pretty sure that Skyrim (like Oblivion) only uses 2 gigs of ram and simply won't use more even if you have it.

I'm not much of a computer guy, but I've heard people complaining about it. They bitched about it with Oblivion and really went off about Skyrim having a similar limitation.

Mr. Laz
11-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Haha. She games way more than I do. I basically stick to Elder Scrolls and Madden (every now and then). She's into Elder Scrolls, Sims 3 (on the PC), Fable, stuff on the Wii... she played Oblivion for years. Literally never finished it until just before Skyrim was released.
Is she hot?

pics ....

Mr. Laz
11-30-2011, 10:21 AM
wow ... sneak does add more value :eek:

by far the most that i've found

Sofa King
11-30-2011, 10:27 AM
No.....PS3

BUT CONSOLES ARE TERRIBLE

suck it

Fried Meat Ball!
11-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Is she hot?

pics ....

Of course! Is anyone's wife here not hot?

And no, no pics.

wow ... sneak does add more value :eek:

by far the most that i've found

Yeah, that happened to be one of the first available enchantments I had, so it's earned me quite a bit!

Frazod
11-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Sounds like they'll need a patch to fix the patch. :spock:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/327951/skyrim-12-patch-breaks-resistances-makes-dragons-fly-backwards/

loochy
11-30-2011, 10:40 AM

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/327951/skyrim-12-patch-breaks-resistances-makes-dragons-fly-backwards/

:facepalm:

MoreLemonPledge
11-30-2011, 10:44 AM
suck it

Damn.

Pestilence
11-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Well....that pretty much settles it. I'm returning the rental and I won't be buying this until I hear that a majority of the bugs are fixed.

Frazod
11-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Well....that pretty much settles it. I'm returning the rental and I won't be buying this until I hear that a majority of the bugs are fixed.

That's probably the smart thing to do.

QuikSsurfer
11-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Sucks. I have noticed a few minor glitches since patching to 1.02 - but nothing gamebreaking. A couple of my dragon priest masks don't show on my character after equipping, my character appears headless -- i'm vary rarely in 3rd person so this isn't huge.
My game did crash, for the 2nd time, after patching though.

Count Zarth
11-30-2011, 12:55 PM
The problems seem to be affecting both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game.

PC Gaming supremacy. o:-)

whoman69
11-30-2011, 01:10 PM
According to the UESP forums, which is the wiki for elder scrolls, the glitches after the patches are the exception rather than the rule. Its just that those experiencing the glitches are more vocal. I am waiting until a DLC pack comes out and I need a better computer anyways. My dinosaur is nowhere near able to run this and had trouble with Oblivion even after upgrades.

Sofa King
11-30-2011, 01:40 PM
PC Gaming supremacy. o:-)

That can't be!!!

Oh wait. Actually that makes perfect sense.

Pestilence
11-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Looks like I'll be starting up Fallout New Vegas until all of this shit gets fixed.

Sofa King
11-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Looks like I'll be starting up Fallout New Vegas until all of this shit gets fixed.

Quit being a bitch and level up your mw3 guy.

Buck
11-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Make sure you find the deathclaws as soon as possible so you can add one as your companion.

Pestilence
11-30-2011, 03:53 PM
To the people playing this on PC.

What kind of computers are you running this on?

Frazod
11-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Mine's a home build.

If you want to easily check the specifics of your computer, download Belarc Advisor, which will lay out all your components (see my posts below, the tech specs were just cut and pasted from the Belarc report).

From that, you can check them against your computer's specs and see if you meet the requirements.

Buck
11-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 Processor 7.4 5.9
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 7.4
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series 7.8
Gaming graphics 2815 MB Total available graphics memory 7.8
Primary hard disk 119GB Free (596GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Ultimate

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 596 GB
Disk partition (C:) 119 GB Free (596 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Total available graphics memory 2815 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.901.2.0
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Count Zarth
11-30-2011, 04:02 PM

Phenom II x6
Radeon 4890
8 GB DDR3

The game actually runs better than Oblivion for me. It runs really well on medium hardware.

Buck
11-30-2011, 04:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/u4lTY.jpg

Mr. Laz
11-30-2011, 05:36 PM
intel 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45C-DS3R
FSB 1600/1333MHz
4gb DDR3
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5850 1GB PCI-Express2.0 video
Corsair ForceSeries GTCSSD-F120GB Solid State HD

patteeu
11-30-2011, 06:30 PM
intel 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45C-DS3R
FSB 1600/1333MHz
4gb DDR3
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5850 1GB PCI-Express2.0 video
Corsair ForceSeries GTCSSD-F120GB Solid State HD

Do you notice a big difference with the SS HD over a traditional HD?

loochy
11-30-2011, 06:43 PM

I notice an enormous difference

Mr. Laz
11-30-2011, 06:54 PM
opening and closing programs i notice a huge difference, once you have something up and running it's not quite as dramatic.

If you play video games you can really tell when it loads a new area.

It really does seem like it takes half the normal time to load/open programs ... include computer boot up.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Anyone else having problems with this "patch"? I wasn't having any issues at all, and now... I had three dragon attacks inside of 10 minutes, and I seemingly lost my resistance to fire. First attack of fire breath of a dragon damn near killed me.

Count Zarth
11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
That's the reported issue for a lot of people.

Buck
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Just finished the main quest. Time to reroll.

Here's my fucking victory pose.

http://i.imgur.com/9Y7j8.jpg

keg in kc
11-30-2011, 08:11 PM
That looks like you're copping a squat. Take a dump for victory.

Buck
11-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Nothing like a nice poop to end any story.

pr_capone
11-30-2011, 09:34 PM
If you are hooking up both video and audio from an HDMI port on your vid card... it may be an issue where the video card is overheating. Open the case and see if the fan on the video card is turning. If it it, and the video card is over a year old, you may try pulling the fan and laying down some new thermal compound. Even if that doesn't solve the problem you will reduce the heat on the gpu and extend the life. Make sure you use Arctic Silver thermal grease.

Fairplay
12-01-2011, 12:08 AM
So any favorite main quests stand out for anyone?

So far i liked "A night to remember", the drinking contest in Whiterun.

KCtotheSB
12-01-2011, 06:20 AM
I stole a health potion from the temple in Whiterun and about three hours later I have a Dark Brotherhood member running full blitz towards me. After the bloody aftermath, I looked at the note on the assassin and it turns out a nun put the hit out on me.

Damn, that's cold...

Sofa King
12-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I stole a health potion from the temple in Whiterun and about three hours later I have a Dark Brotherhood member running full blitz towards me. After the bloody aftermath, I looked at the note on the assassin and it turns out a nun put the hit out on me.

Damn, that's cold...

Heh. Bitches, amirite?

loochy
12-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Just finished the main quest. Time to reroll.

Here's my fucking victory pose.

http://i.imgur.com/9Y7j8.jpg

Seriously? Already? Do you do ANYTHING in real life?

Frazod
12-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Damn, that's cold...

Yeah, they're vindictive about that shit. The bitch from the temple of Azure sent some evil mages after me after I kept the soul gem.

I think she needs to die now.

Sofa King
12-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah, they're vindictive about that shit. The bitch from the temple of Azure sent some evil mages after me after I kept the soul gem.

I think she needs to die now.

Hmmm. Now that i think about it, i had some weak ass assassin try to get me outside of whiterun one day. Something about the dark brotherhood putting a hit on me. I should go find that temple and level the whole building.