PDA

View Full Version : Misc Video: Ohio eighth-grader hits ridiculous basketball shot

ForeverChiefs58
06-22-2009, 06:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Ohio-eighth-grader-hits-ridiculous-basket?urn=nba,171894

Rain Man
06-22-2009, 06:42 PM
It's funny how everybody somehow starts watching the ball even though half of them didn't see the beginning.

I'll bet at some point he wins a chance at an NBA game to win $1,000,000 for a free thrown and misses it, and then sits around bitter the rest of his life remembering this shot and that miss.

Der Flöprer
06-22-2009, 06:43 PM
That was a pretty nuts shot. I mean you have to get lucky to begin with but damn!

ForeverChiefs58
06-22-2009, 06:47 PM
yeah lucky hole in one. He is good though, just to be THAT lucky, you have to be good. Million bucks would say he couldn't do it again. Not my $$, but somebody's $$$.

doomy3
06-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Unreal.

Kyle DeLexus
06-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm one of the angry bitter people that will say no way. The whole thing just seems way too staged.

Dicky McElephant
06-22-2009, 06:58 PM
I wonder how many times they filmed him trying that before he made it.

Fairplay
06-22-2009, 07:44 PM

My thoughts also. But it is still an awesome shot no doubt.

Groves
06-22-2009, 07:45 PM
You don't have to be angry or bitter to recognize it's a fake. The ball was shot from the opposing freethrow line, yes?

Do you know how long it takes for a ball to go that distance? Way longer than that one did. It was a good sell with the crowd, but if they would have just waited a bit longer it would have been more realistic.

This of course ignores the kind of strength it would take to get a ball that far. It doesn't take superman, but it takes more than a double handed throw-in coming up from that gymnastic move.

No cameraman refuses to follow the ball in flight, either.

I'm old, I'm cranky. I enjoy the faked shots, and this is one of em.

Swazey
06-22-2009, 07:52 PM
You don't have to be angry or bitter to recognize it's a fake. The ball was shot from the opposing freethrow line, yes?

Do you know how long it takes for a ball to go that distance? Way longer than that one did. It was a good sell with the crowd, but if they would have just waited a bit longer it would have been more realistic.

This of course ignores the kind of strength it would take to get a ball that far. It doesn't take superman, but it takes more than a double handed throw-in coming up from that gymnastic move.

No cameraman refuses to follow the ball in flight, either.

I'm old, I'm cranky. I enjoy the faked shots, and this is one of em.

This kid put his whole body into the throw... it wasn't just a one handed lob... Looked real to me.

Groves
06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
This kid put his whole body into the throw... it wasn't just a one handed lob... Looked real to me.

I think anyone can throw a basketball farther with one arm than they can with two. "Using the whole body" both ways, of course.

kstater
06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
No chance that's real.

Fruit Ninja
06-22-2009, 08:11 PM
He's a soccer player i bet. Them soccer players can throw the ball like that and chuck the shit out of it. That shot is real.

stevieray
06-22-2009, 08:18 PM
.plus the physics of spinning back up onto your feet and propelling the ball...he had to let go at the exact right time...lucky as hell.

Fairplay
06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I did some googling and its in cleveland papers and on the schools website.

You aren't going to fake something like that in front of a lot of people and jerk your local news outlets around.

-King-
06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
.plus the physics of spinning back up onto your feet and propelling the ball...he had to let go at the exact right time...lucky as hell.

Soccer players are taught to do that. Thats how you get the most amount of force into the ball.

I think it's real. I doubt middle schoolers have the time to waste around and fake basketball shots. How would they do it?

Groves
06-22-2009, 09:46 PM
What is this, bizarro world?

There's zero way the ball is going that distance in that amount of time.

Watch any half court shot and count how many seconds it takes to make it. This was a 3/4 court shot and it was in the net waaaay too early.

I do have to agree with fairplay, nobody ever ever fakes anything just to make it in the news. I don't think it's ever happened, actually.

Groves
06-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Actually, after watching it again a few times, seems like it could be legit.

I retract it all. Nice shot.

cdcox
06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Walked.

Thig Lyfe
06-22-2009, 10:07 PM
I did some googling and its in cleveland papers and on the schools website.

You aren't going to fake something like that in front of a lot of people and jerk your local news outlets around.

http://deadspin.com/353576/kevin-hart-made-the-whole-thing-up

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/02/holycowcal.jpg

"I wanted to play D-I ball more than anything. When I realized that wasn't going to happen, I made up what I wanted to be reality," read a statement sent out by Teri White, assistant superintendent of the Lyon County School District, on behalf of Hart. "I am sorry for disappointing and embarrassing my family, coaches, Fernley High School, the involved universities and reporters covering the story."

Rain Man
06-22-2009, 10:17 PM

I'll bet he practiced it ahead of time.

Reaper16
06-22-2009, 10:20 PM
He's a soccer player i bet. Them soccer players can throw the ball like that and chuck the shit out of it. That shot is real.

Soccer players are taught to do that. Thats how you get the most amount of force into the ball.

I think it's real. I doubt middle schoolers have the time to waste around and fake basketball shots. How would they do it?
Yup, that's why I think its real.