PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Alice In Wonderland

Detoxing
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Im no Tim Burton fan, but these early renderings look pretty damn cool.

i love the Dark Alice in Wonderland interpretations. Like the PC game for example. Hopefully this doesn't disappoint.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56475

tomahawk kid
06-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Isn't the original fairy tale fairly dark itself?

KcFanInGA
06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Man, that looks cool. Movies like this actually scare me more than actual horror movies. But does Helena Bonham Carter have to be in this? I think Kathy Bates would be perfect for the Queen of Hearts.

MoreLemonPledge
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
But does Helena Bonham Carter have to be in this?

Of course...it's Burton and Depp.

DMAC
06-23-2009, 05:12 PM
http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/aliceusatoday1.jpg

Before reading the article, I scrolled down and initially thought that was Froto.

Pestilence
06-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Frodo...not Froto.

QuikSsurfer
06-24-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm looking forward to this.

Sure-Oz
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Anyone seen Pan's Labrynth?

Pestilence
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM

Yep...it was a pretty good movie.

CoMoChief
06-24-2009, 12:02 PM
the name Tim Burton is all I need to hear to not go see a movie.

Detoxing
06-24-2009, 12:26 PM

I'd have to agree with you, but this may be pretty cool.

L.A. Chieffan
06-24-2009, 01:43 PM
whats wrong with burton? hes had a lot more great movies than bad ones

CoMoChief
06-24-2009, 01:49 PM
whats wrong with burton? hes had a lot more great movies than bad ones

Like what? I liked Beetlejuice when I was little. Maybe the first Batman with Jack as the Joker. That's about all I can think of.

irishjayhawk
06-24-2009, 01:50 PM

LOVE that movie.

L.A. Chieffan
06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
basically everything hes done, except planet of the apes, was good. some better than others but i enjoyed all of them

CoMoChief
06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Look him up on IMDB, and take a look at the list of shit festivals he's produced.

L.A. Chieffan
06-24-2009, 01:58 PM
who gives a shit what hes produced. speilberg produced men in black 2 and mask of zorro. doesnt mean hes not a good director

Pestilence
06-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Umm....Sweeney Todd....Sleepy Hollow.....

CoMoChief
06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
who gives a shit what hes produced. speilberg produced men in black 2 and mask of zorro. doesnt mean hes not a good director

Speilberg is the most overrated director in Hollywood.

CoMoChief
06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Umm....Sweeney Todd....Sleepy Hollow.....

Sleepy Hollow was good. I will give you that one.

MagicHef
06-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Edward Scissorhands
Nightmare Before Christmas

QuikSsurfer
06-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Sleepy Hollow was good. I will give you that one.

Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Beetle Juice, Big Fish, and The Nightmare Before Christmas...

I love Tim Burton.. especially when paired with Danny Elfman

tomahawk kid
06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Beetle Juice, Big Fish, and The Nightmare Before Christmas...

I love Tim Burton.. especially when paired with Danny Elfman

Batman Returns was piss.......

QuikSsurfer
06-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Batman Returns was piss.......

Hmmm... you maybe confusing it with one of the other batman movies that really are piss...
Batman Returns was not bad at all.

http://superherouniverse.com/wallpaper/fanart/bingham/posters/batman-returns.jpg

KcMizzou
06-24-2009, 09:06 PM

I love Tim Burton.. especially when paired with Danny ElfmanI agree. And I'd throw in Mars Attacks. Hated it the first time I saw it. Now I love it.

(Those "Kill all Humans" games ripped that movie off, big time.)

irishjayhawk
06-24-2009, 09:09 PM
I agree. And I'd throw in Mars Attacks. Hated it the first time I saw it. Now I love it.

Burton did Mars Attacks?

KcMizzou
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Burton did Mars Attacks?Yeah. Directed it.

Now it kinda strikes me as a Mel Brooks style comedy. Silly humor, tons of cameos...

irishjayhawk
06-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah. Directed it.

Now it kinda strikes me as a Mel Brooks style comedy. Silly humor, tons of cameos...

Hilarious. Never knew that.

And agree on the Mel Brooks style.

That makes me like it more.

MoreLemonPledge
06-24-2009, 09:38 PM

Amazing movie.

I like Burton's stuff. I couldn't think of anybody to re-re-re-re-imagine this story better.

Sure-Oz
06-24-2009, 09:48 PM
LOVE that movie.

is it really like a darker alice in wonderland

Sure-Oz
06-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Amazing movie.

I like Burton's stuff. I couldn't think of anybody to re-re-re-re-imagine this story better.

its on my netflix que, must rent now

MoreLemonPledge
06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Pan's Labyrinth was directed by Guillermo del Toro. Just want to make sure we're all aware... but it was a great take on the Alice in Wonderland theme.

QuikSsurfer
06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Pan's Labyrinth was directed by Guillermo del Toro. Just want to make sure we're all aware... but it was a great take on the Alice in Wonderland theme.

Great time to mention The Devil's Backbone... great movie by the same director.

Ebolapox
06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree. And I'd throw in Mars Attacks. Hated it the first time I saw it. Now I love it.

jesus. it's 'destroy all humans,' bran. shit, I'd neg rep you if I didn't think you were ok otherwise.

:shake:

('course, I'm likely one of a very few people who will admit to loveing the DAH series--even imported a copy from the UK so I could play 'path of the furon')

Buck
06-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Batman Returns was the last good Batman movie until Batman Begins

Halfcan
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I can't wait for the Burton version of Winnie the Pooh-where Pooh rips Piglets head off and skulls fugs him while bathing in his blood.

KCChiefsMan
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM

no way, the one with Arnold was da best! FREEEEZE!!!!

KcMizzou
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
jesus. it's 'destroy all humans,' bran. shit, I'd neg rep you if I didn't think you were ok otherwise.

:shake:

('course, I'm likely one of a very few people who will admit to loveing the DAH series--even imported a copy from the UK so I could play 'path of the furon')Doh! I knew that. I only played the first one, but I had a blast with it.

Ebolapox
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Doh! I knew that. I only played the first one, but I had a blast with it.

the second and third are great for what they are, running around and blowing shit up. the second one has a fucking meteor gun, and the third one has a fucking black hole gun. completely cheesy (and sorta difficult in spots), but great game series.

irishjayhawk
06-25-2009, 06:59 PM
is it really like a darker alice in wonderland

I don't know that I know Alice in Wonderland enough to tell you. But I do know it was dark and I do know that it kicks ass. So go see it.

KCChiefsMan
06-26-2009, 01:10 AM
I don't like Tim Burton at all

DaneMcCloud
06-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Speilberg is the most overrated director in Hollywood.

Yeah, I agree.

"Jaws" sucked. So did "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". And "E.T" was garbage.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" was trash. Horrible direction and acting. "Schindler's List"? Gimme a break! Black & White in the 1990's?

And "Saving Private Ryan"? Crap. Utter crap. "Rat Patrol" was better than that drivel.

Guru
06-26-2009, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I agree.

"Jaws" sucked. So did "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". And "E.T" was garbage.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" was trash. Horrible direction and acting. "Schindler's List"? Gimme a break! Black & White in the 1990's?

And "Saving Private Ryan"? Crap. Utter crap. "Rat Patrol" was better than that drivel.I can't believe you forgot Duel.

PhillyChiefFan
06-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I agree.

And "Saving Private Ryan"? Crap. Utter crap. "Rat Patrol" was better than that drivel.

Is this what we might call...sarcasm? Cause it's really tough to tell in this post

:D

Katipan
06-26-2009, 07:57 AM
My b/f is making some of the props. Last I heard of was shackles with hearts on them. Guess there's going to be a pretty wicked dungeon scene.

Fire Me Boy!
06-26-2009, 08:17 AM

Blech. I didn't care for Batman Returns. It was OK at best (IMO). Better than the crap put out by Joel Schumacher though.

I'm a Burton fan, but he really hasn't done anything good since before Sleepy Hollow. Man, he's picked some horrible scripts.

I'll see this one, just like I've seen all the others, hoping that he's finally righted the ship.

MoreLemonPledge
06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
I actually liked Sweeney Todd.

May I have my man card back, please?

Fire Me Boy!
06-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I actually liked Sweeney Todd.

May I have my man card back, please?

I thought it was OK, but not up to snuff considering Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Batman and Ed Wood. Even his early stuff like Frankenweenie and Pee Wee's Big Adventure were solid directorial/script efforts.

DaneMcCloud
06-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Is this what we might call...sarcasm? Cause it's really tough to tell in this post

:D

Further proof of CoMoChief's genius.

MagicHef
06-26-2009, 03:36 PM
I thought it was OK, but not up to snuff considering Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Batman and Ed Wood. Even his early stuff like Frankenweenie and Pee Wee's Big Adventure were solid directorial/script efforts.

I had no idea he did Frankenweenie. That's awesome.

Valiant
06-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Directed movies:

Good:
Beetlejuice,
Batman,
Edward Scissorhands,
Big Fish,

Bad:
Frakenweenie,
Pee Wee's big adventure,
Mars Attacks,
Planet of the Apes,
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,
Corpse Bride,
Sweeney Todd.

Average:
Batman Returns,
Ed Wood,
Sleepy Hollow.

He is hit or miss.. I tried enjoying Sweeney Todd but there was just something missing, no idea why it got any awards(Repo, a Genetic Opera I like for some reason though).. Corpse Bride was just a let down after Nightmare before Christmas for me..

I think Big Fish is his best work..

Fire Me Boy!
06-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Directed movies:

Good:
Beetlejuice,
Batman,
Edward Scissorhands,
Big Fish,

Bad:
Frakenweenie,
Pee Wee's big adventure,
Mars Attacks,
Planet of the Apes,
Corpse Bride,
Sweeney Todd.

Average:
Batman Returns,
Ed Wood,
Sleepy Hollow.

He is hit or miss.. I tried enjoying Sweeney Todd but there was just something missing, no idea why it got any awards(Repo, a Genetic Opera I like for some reason though).. Corpse Bride was just a let down after Nightmare before Christmas for me..

I personally think you're analysis is off base. Ed Wood is Burton's masterpiece, if you ask me.

Very good: Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands are Burton's most critically acclaimed works to date, with landmark performances from Johnny Depp anchoring both films. And like the character or not (I don't), Pee Wee's Big Adventure has amassed an enormous cult following from a sublimely bizarre comedy that was masterfully crafted, especially for a feature film debut.

Good: Batman, Big Fish, Vincent, Frankenweenie

Mediocre: Mars Attacks, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd, Sleepy Hollow

Bad: Planet of the Apes, Corpse Bride

I'll agree he's kinda hit or miss, but most of his films hit that average to above average range. The problem, I think, is he was a shooting star for the first part of his career and fizzled from Sleepy Hollow, occasionally turning in just horrible efforts. I mean... WTF was he thinking with Planet of the Apes?

Deberg_1990
06-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Ed WOod might be his best film. Criminally overlooked.

L.A. Chieffan
06-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Directed movies:

Good:
Beetlejuice,
Batman,
Edward Scissorhands,
Big Fish,

Bad:
Frakenweenie,
Pee Wee's big adventure,
Mars Attacks,
Planet of the Apes,
Corpse Bride,
Sweeney Todd.

Average:
Batman Returns,
Ed Wood,
Sleepy Hollow.

Those "Average" movies are very good, Pee Wees Big Adventure and Mars Attacks are hilarious. I never saw Frankenweenie or Sweeney Todd.

Im gonna go ahead and say i like the remake of Charlie better than the original. The original wasn't bad, I enjoyed it very much growing up, but Burtons was much more faithful to Roald Dahl.

L.A. Chieffan
06-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Ed WOod might be his best film. Criminally overlooked.

Same with Mars Attacks I think. Beautiful spoof of cheesy 50's sci-fi

Deberg_1990
06-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Same with Mars Attacks I think. Beautiful spoof of cheesy 50's sci-fi

Yea, that one has grown on me over the years. Didnt like it much when i first saw it back in 96. Love it now.

Heck, i like all his movies up to Sleepy Hollow. After that, hes turned into more of a director for hire and has been spotty.

listopencil
06-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Ah, I'd forgotten Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. That movie was bullshit. Incredibly stupid interpretation of the story.

Ebolapox
06-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Those "Average" movies are very good, Pee Wees Big Adventure and Mars Attacks are hilarious. I never saw Frankenweenie or Sweeney Todd.

Im gonna go ahead and say i like the remake of Charlie better than the original. The original wasn't bad, I enjoyed it very much growing up, but Burtons was much more faithful to Roald Dahl.

bullshit on charlie and the chocolate factory. not only is the original an absolute classic, it's impossible to be more faithful to roald dahl when ROALD FUCKING DAHL WROTE THE SCREENPLAY FOR THE ORIGINAL. yeah, the remake that goes completely off script is MUCH more faithful than the real genuine article.

:spock:

L.A. Chieffan
06-27-2009, 03:34 PM
bullshit on charlie and the chocolate factory. not only is the original an absolute classic, it's impossible to be more faithful to roald dahl when ROALD FUCKING DAHL WROTE THE SCREENPLAY FOR THE ORIGINAL. yeah, the remake that goes completely off script is MUCH more faithful than the real genuine article.

:spock:

have you read the book?

Ebolapox
06-27-2009, 03:36 PM
have you read the book?

yeah. when I was in middle school. and I maintain it's literally impossible to be more faithful to Roald Dahl than his own work on the screenplay.

L.A. Chieffan
06-27-2009, 03:46 PM
yeah. when I was in middle school. and I maintain it's literally impossible to be more faithful to Roald Dahl than his own work on the screenplay.

Dahl wrote the original screenplay which was essentially completely rewritten by David Seltzer. After it's release, Dahl publicly disowned the film.

DISOWNED IT.

I call bullshit on your bullshit

Fire Me Boy!
06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Dahl wrote the original screenplay which was essentially completely rewritten by David Seltzer. After it's release, Dahl publicly disowned the film.

DISOWNED IT.

I a just going to post this. Dahl was horrified by the original film.

That said, both films take some "liberties" with the book, and I'd have a hard time thinking Dahl would be happy with either.

Fire Me Boy!
06-27-2009, 03:50 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5867604&postcount=61

You don't know what you're talking about.

Deberg_1990
06-27-2009, 05:20 PM

That said, both films take some "liberties" with the book, and I'd have a hard time thinking Dahl would be happy with either.

Well either way, the original film OWNS the Burton/Depp version. Depps take was annoying and i love Depp.

Nothing will ever top Gene Wilders take. Nothing. This is why you cant remake classics. You cant top perfection.

Fire Me Boy!
06-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Well either way, the original film OWNS the Burton/Depp version. Depps take was annoying and i love Depp.

Nothing will ever top Gene Wilders take. Nothing. This is why you cant remake classics. You cant top perfection.

I'm actually not a fan of either movie. Not sure which I disliked more...

petegz28
06-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Tim Burton is pretty damn good...

Beetle Juice...rocked
Sleepy Hollow...kick ass
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...pretty fucking good

irishjayhawk
06-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm actually not a fan of either movie. Not sure which I disliked more...

AT least the first one didn't spawn an entire fashion statement. I'm talking, of course, about Willy Wonka glasses. Also known as bug glasses.

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Ebolapox
06-27-2009, 10:22 PM

eh, screw it. I was pwned. that's what I get by going by the imdb site and 'screenplay by:' before the movie.

listopencil
06-28-2009, 02:07 PM

DISOWNED IT.

I'd never heard that, I also didn't know that Dahl was in any way involved with the first movie because it really wasn't like the books at all. I enjoyed the books and I enjoyed the first movie. The books were better but that almost always seems to be true. That being said: The second movie was absolute crap. It was like a runaway train made from spoiled cheese and dog shit that finally flew screaming off of a cliff into a pile of pus and snot. I hated it.

Pioli Zombie
06-29-2009, 03:01 AM
I don't know. "Do the Right Thing" and "The Passion of the Christ" were very good.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
07-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Just waked through my lobby and saw a movie poster for "Alice". Johnny Depp as a scary-looking Mad Hatter. Release date early 2010 (March, I think?) and it's coming out in digital 3D as well as IMAX 3D (hence the poster in my lobby). Even though it's Disney, it should be pretty decent, since they let Burton do what he wanted pretty much with "Nightmare Before Christmas". And, unlike Willy Wonka, this story doesn't have a beloved 70s movie to compare to, so he can pretty much go nuts.

Jenson71
07-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Johnny Depp is an ugly little girl.

KcFanInGA
07-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Just waked through my lobby and saw a movie poster for "Alice". Johnny Depp as a scary-looking Mad Hatter. Release date early 2010 (March, I think?) and it's coming out in digital 3D as well as IMAX 3D (hence the poster in my lobby). Even though it's Disney, it should be pretty decent, since they let Burton do what he wanted pretty much with "Nightmare Before Christmas". And, unlike Willy Wonka, this story doesn't have a beloved 70s movie to compare to, so he can pretty much go nuts.

If this is on Imax in 3-d, I might have to go old school and drop some acid...nah j/k. But I think this movie will be either really good or really bad, it just strikes me that way. And Tim Burton has about a 50/50 chance to make me feel my money is well spent, judging by how I felt about his previous work.

sd4chiefs
07-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Tim Burton is pretty damn good...

Beetle Juice...rocked
Sleepy Hollow...kick ass
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...pretty ****ing good

He also did

Batman... assume
Batman II.. not so assume.

KcMizzou
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
He also did

Batman... assume
Batman II.. not so assume.I assume you mean awesome.

Fire Me Boy!
07-07-2009, 06:31 AM
I assume you mean awesome.

Thanks for the translation. I was sitting here staring at the word "assume" trying to figure out WTF he meant.

Katipan
07-07-2009, 06:47 AM
I assumed Batman II was awesome to everyone.

Course I was 13 but still...

kindra68
07-22-2009, 01:52 PM
trailer released for Alice in Wonderland i was sent this link a bit ago.
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/07/video-alice-wonderland-trailer-released

Tribal Warfare
07-25-2009, 12:59 AM
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/D9q9zxG2BVLnvMdTisu9rA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/D9q9zxG2BVLnvMdTisu9rA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

kysirsoze
10-02-2009, 03:15 AM
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/D9q9zxG2BVLnvMdTisu9rA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/D9q9zxG2BVLnvMdTisu9rA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Dug this up looking for "Alice" stuff.

Holy shit, this looks terrible.

"What??? Johnny Depp is the Mad Hatter??!? Let's make him a main character!!"

FFS!! Is one strangely effeminate, top hat wearing weirdo not enough for Depp's resume? I swear to God, when I saw the poster I thought it was Bryce Dallas Howard playing the part. Ten years ago, Tim Burton would have killed this movie. This, however, looks like total horse-shit.

BTW, looking over the posts, I would like to go on record as saying that Batman Returns has the second worst Batman script I have seen. (After "& Robin." Seriously..... watch it again if you don't believe me.)

JD10367
03-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Not bad. The girl playing "Alice" is pretty in a plainer way (sort of Gwyneth Paltrow-y from her earlier days). CGI is good, and the story's original (it takes place 13 years after the original story, so Burton is free to make up a new plotline). But it strikes me as a bit soulless, much like the "Willy Wonka" remake. But it's better than "Wonka". Perhaps it's just suffering by comparison to "Avatar", which it's following (sort of like when Pete Carroll replaced Bill Parcells as Patriots coach).

Deberg_1990
03-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Not bad. The girl playing "Alice" is pretty in a plainer way (sort of Gwyneth Paltrow-y from her earlier days). CGI is good, and the story's original (it takes place 13 years after the original story, so Burton is free to make up a new plotline). But it strikes me as a bit soulless, much like the "Willy Wonka" remake. But it's better than "Wonka". Perhaps it's just suffering by comparison to "Avatar", which it's following (sort of like when Pete Carroll replaced Bill Parcells as Patriots coach).

His movies IMO have always been a little souless.....but i think hes goten worse the past 10 years or so.

I prefer his early work much more. Pee Wee, Beetlejuice, Scissorhands, Ed Wood, etc....

MaxFects
03-04-2010, 11:14 AM
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1929453&fullscreen=1" width="640" height="360" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" quality="best" value="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1929453&fullscreen=1"/><embed src="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1929453&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="360" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><div style="padding:5px 0; text-align:center; width:640px;"></div>

underEJ
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM

How did the 3d look? Burton started to shoot the thing in stereo, but punked out because it is very hard to do. Disney then paid for a post-production conversion from 2d. They definitely paid for the highest quality conversion so it should theoretically still be a nice movie experience, but it isn't real 3d. (sort of 2 1/2D.) I'm wondering if people can tell the difference in general.

keg in kc
03-04-2010, 12:42 PM
It's running at 63% on rottentomatoes, and most of the positive reviews have basically been "it's kind of pretty but not really very good".

Looks like something I'll catch on HBO at midnight sometime next year.

JD10367
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
His movies IMO have always been a little souless.....but i think hes goten worse the past 10 years or so.

I prefer his early work much more. Pee Wee, Beetlejuice, Scissorhands, Ed Wood, etc....

I wonder if Burton's work doesn't simply suffer by repetition.

I was just perusing some of the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, and they seemed to sum it up pretty well. Even the "fresh" critics had something bad to say. Again, it's not a HORRIBLE film, but it's yet another disappointing Burton film that ISN'T "Edward Scissorhands" or "A Nightmare Before Christmas". And I definitely think it suffers by having to follow "Avatar".

CoMoChief
03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Like Avatar, this is going to be a drug dealer's pot of gold.

CoMoChief
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
This is going to be Beetlejuice on fucking steroids.

Frazod
03-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that goofy photo of the Mad Hatter looks more like Elijah Wood than Johnny Depp? Seriously, until I read that it was Depp, I thought it was Wood.

JD10367
03-05-2010, 01:01 PM
It does have the new "Tron Legacy" trailer on it, which is cool.

DMAC
03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that goofy photo of the Mad Hatter looks more like Elijah Wood than Johnny Depp? Seriously, until I read that it was Depp, I thought it was Wood.No you are not. I would almost swear its frodo. Very strange.

Sully
03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
My wife loved it.

I fell asleep several times.
...and I'm notoriously easy on movies... Typically find good in all of them.

Examples; didn't think Gigli was that bad. Absolutely loved Jersey Girl.

But I really disliked this one...

Brock
03-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Not bad, but not up to Burtons' usual standard.

Fritz88
03-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Examples; didn't think Gigli was that bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/qtip58/Pics/son_i_am_disappoint.gif

Sully
03-06-2010, 12:38 PM
It wasn't Citizen Kane, but I've seen a lot worse.

I also enjoy Ishtar, though.

JD10367
03-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Not bad, but not up to Burtons' usual standard.

I dunno. He's been pretty lackluster sometimes. IMO, his directorial efforts are:

UNDERRATED: "Big Fish", "Sleepy Hollow", "Ed Wood", "Pee Wee's Big Adventure".

OVERRATED: "Sweeney Todd", "Mars Attacks", "Batman Returns", "Batman", "Beetlejuice".

SIMPLY BAD: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "Planet of the Apes".

(The "Batman" films are one of those things which, at the time, seemed really great, but in hindsight were pretty friggin' stupid. Watching them again is almost painful. And I loved "Batman" so much that I saw it around 10 times in the theaters. "Beetlejuice" was mainly Keaton chewing the scenery in what we now realize was the Johnny Depp role of "substituting overacting for story".)

IMO Burton's true genius has been on display in two films: "Edward Scissorhands" and "The Nightmare Before Christmas".

Brock
03-06-2010, 01:29 PM
The last one I saw was Sweeney Todd, I loved it.

Deberg_1990
03-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I dunno. He's been pretty lackluster sometimes. IMO, his directorial efforts are:

UNDERRATED: "Big Fish", "Sleepy Hollow", "Ed Wood", "Pee Wee's Big Adventure".

OVERRATED: "Sweeney Todd", "Mars Attacks", "Batman Returns", "Batman", "Beetlejuice".

SIMPLY BAD: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "Planet of the Apes".

(The "Batman" films are one of those things which, at the time, seemed really great, but in hindsight were pretty friggin' stupid. Watching them again is almost painful. And I loved "Batman" so much that I saw it around 10 times in the theaters. "Beetlejuice" was mainly Keaton chewing the scenery in what we now realize was the Johnny Depp role of "substituting overacting for story".)

IMO Burton's true genius has been on display in two films: "Edward Scissorhands" and "The Nightmare Before Christmas".

Yea, hes at his worst when hes a director for hire like Apes and I think this flick.

Hes really been hit and miss for awhile now. Especially the last 10 years being mostly miss for me.

bango
03-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that goofy photo of the Mad Hatter looks more like Elijah Wood than Johnny Depp? Seriously, until I read that it was Depp, I thought it was Wood.

If I did not know that was Depp before I went in to see it, then I would not have known it was him.

KcMizzou
03-06-2010, 05:25 PM
If I did not know that was Depp before I went in to see it, then I would not have known it was him.Pretty impressive acting, if you think about it.

Fruit Ninja
03-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Depp is so versatile its insane. He can pretty much play any role you ask of him and do it damned good.

jiveturkey
03-06-2010, 09:39 PM
This movie was really boring IMO.

JD10367
03-07-2010, 03:19 PM
This movie was really boring IMO.

It really seems to be polarizing, 'cause I've had people say they hated it (here) and people say they loved it (on my Facebook).

I think, if you enjoyed the Disney cartoon version, and/or like Burton and Depp, and/or like to get high, LOL, then you'll probably enjoy it okay.

Great Expectations
03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Depp was good, but the movie wasn't. It didn't have any depth.

MoreLemonPledge
03-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Depp was good, but the movie wasn't. It didn't have any depth.

No depth, but Depp. HAHAHAHa