PDA

View Full Version : Video Games WIRED: Top 10 raw deals for gamers

TinyEvel
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
They pretty much dish it out in equal beatings...

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/gaming-ripoffs/

Buck
06-28-2009, 09:54 PM
360 HDD should be #1

Reaper16
06-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't agree with the criticism of the Chrono Trigger port to the DS. Who gives a fuck if its 40 bucks? Its my favorite video game of all time. Its got the cutscenes and graphics touchups of the PS1 port (in Final Fantasy Chronicles) with the smoothness/quick load times of the SNES original.

Reaper16
06-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Also, Guitar Hero: Smash Hits deserves some criticism, but not for the reason given. If one wants to argue that Activision should be competing with Harmonix' extensive download store, then I would agree. But complaining that Smash Hits "doesn't work with older versions of the game" is besides the point. The point of that release is that they took popular songs from the first 4 GH games and gave them full-band functionality and upgraded charts to reflect the GH: World Tour gameplay changes. Is it worth a purchase? No, probably not. But it was a superb rental.

Otter
06-29-2009, 09:03 AM
In regards to piracy;

PC gaming isn't going anywhere - ever. A console will never be able to keep up with the bang you can load into a tower.

I think the solution on that platform is a Valve type distribution system. It's good for the game producer and convenient for user. Auto updates, simple re-installs etc. - I'd be looking for Valve popularity to sky rocket over the next 5 or so years.

And to those who pirate games - you are jackasses.

Mr. Krab
06-29-2009, 09:15 AM
They aren't called Micro$uck for nothing.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Activision can lick my nut sack. Those assholes made a patch so you could use any drum kit around to play on GHWT except the Ion. So those who ponied up the most money for a more authentic drumming experience were left out in the cold to play that game. At least activision made a patch for it. For the 360. Not the PS3. Those assholes will never, ever see another dime of my money on any level. Meanwhile Rockband has made an extra $150 off of me in downloadable content.

oaklandhater
06-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Digital rights management schemes, which limit the ways we can play legitimate copies of games, are annoying. But piracy is worse. If you think it’s a victimless crime, consider the case of publisher Stardock. It releases its games without DRM, as a sign of courtesy and respect to its customers. But the ambitious online mode of its recent PC game Demigod has been plagued with problems, partly because even though only 18,000 people bought the game, 120,000 people have been logging in and playing. Stardock has spent a lot of extra time and money supporting these freeloaders, and that sucks. But what really sucks is that the pirates are mucking up the performance for those who bought the game legitimately. Dear 100,000 people who pirated Demigod: You are jackasses.

I for one bought Demigod and I feel as if I was the one who was ripped off the online at the start did not work which then I was told by the devs to try singleplayer the game basically has no singleplayer.

On that note when all the stupid Stardock fanboys were saying the online works just fine its only being blogged down from pirates Battle.net works with out a hitch and thats 12 years old software So Yes I do hope demigod gets pirated in to oblivion.

oaklandhater
06-29-2009, 09:43 AM
In regards to piracy;

PC gaming isn't going anywhere - ever. A console will never be able to keep up with the bang you can load into a tower.

I think the solution on that platform is a Valve type distribution system. It's good for the game producer and convenient for user. Auto updates, simple re-installs etc. - I'd be looking for Valve popularity to sky rocket over the next 5 or so years.

And to those who pirate games - you are jackasses.

If you want to stop pirating in video games its easy make something the pirates can only get with the retail verison not DRM but great online/Free Updates.

KCtotheSB
06-29-2009, 10:07 AM
The repackaging and reselling of old games, like Chrono Trigger DS, doesn’t make me feel all that bad about what methods people take to get their games. The manufacturers and companies have their little tactics on bending consumers over at the register, as evidenced by the list.

So go ahead….string me up, stick a rubber ball in my mouth and get out the whips for defending “questionable methods” in getting games….

Reaper16
06-29-2009, 11:18 AM
The repackaging and reselling of old games, like Chrono Trigger DS, doesn’t make me feel all that bad about what methods people take to get their games. The manufacturers and companies have their little tactics on bending consumers over at the register, as evidenced by the list.

So go ahead….string me up, stick a rubber ball in my mouth and get out the whips for defending “questionable methods” in getting games….
This doesn't make any sense. Its incoherent. You're saying that you don't feel bad about pirating games because of 14 year old handheld ports? That is not justification, its cowardice.

Guru
06-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Number 10 should be Number 1 for crying out loud. Those Xbox Memory and HDD deals are insanely unfair to consumers. The point card fiasco should be number 2.

KCtotheSB
06-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Number 10 should be Number 1 for crying out loud. Those Xbox Memory and HDD deals are insanely unfair to consumers. The point card fiasco should be number 2.

I'm not too keen on the "reserve content". Granted, it's usually something small that doesn't impact the whole game expierience...but still.....

oaklandhater
06-29-2009, 12:33 PM
This doesn't make any sense. Its incoherent. You're saying that you don't feel bad about pirating games because of 14 year old handheld ports? That is not justification, its cowardice.

Oh no he is takeing much needed money from the huge mega conglomerate how will there children ever eat....

Guru
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm not too keen on the "reserve content". Granted, it's usually something small that doesn't impact the whole game expierience...but still.....I don't care for that either but it is generally online content they add on so it really has no effect on me.

oaklandhater
06-29-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't care for that either but it is generally online content they add on so it really has no effect on me.

I hate the console exclusive game content more like soul calibur 4 vader if you get ps3 yoda if you get 360.

KCtotheSB
06-29-2009, 12:48 PM

Maybe it does come off as a bit incoherent. I tried writing this at work with the boss two cubicles away :) Let me expand on that thought.

I'm trying to get across that the rehashing of old games in a bright shiny new box is one of my major gripes. Nintendo is particularly guilty of this shit. A few "extra features" and "art galleries" added on to basically the same game is extremely lazy. (Says the guy who's at work screwing around on message boards.) Obviously, it must work because people keep eating up the crap. For example, if I bought Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES, I'm not laying down another $30 for Super Mario Bros. 3 for the Game Boy Advance. If I want to play SMB3, I'll go find it and emulate it. The repackaging is nothing but the company looking for a quick buck. I won't give it to them.

Reaper16
06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Maybe it does come off as a bit incoherent. I tried writing this at work with the boss two cubicles away :) Let me expand on that thought.

I'm trying to get across that the rehashing of old games in a bright shiny new box is one of my major gripes. Nintendo is particularly guilty of this shit. A few "extra features" and "art galleries" added on to basically the same game is extremely lazy. (Says the guy who's at work screwing around on message boards.) Obviously, it must work because people keep eating up the crap. For example, if I bought Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES, I'm not laying down another $30 for Super Mario Bros. 3 for the Game Boy Advance. If I want to play SMB3, I'll go find it and emulate it. The repackaging is nothing but the company looking for a quick buck. I won't give it to them.
I agree with you up to a point. I didn't buy SMB3 for the GBA, either. But if I had a desire to have it portable... maybe I might have. I bought Chrono Trigger DS because having my favorite game ever available for plane rides, airports, bus rides, etc. is fantastic to me.

I don't much care if you pirate games. I think trying to justify it is a fool's errand, though. Piracy is wrong. You choose to do it anyway. That's all there is to it.