PDA

View Full Version : Video Games PS3 Slim coming? Price drop? Backwards compatibility back?

Saulbadguy
06-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Which is it? None of them? All of them? 1, 2 out of 3?

Sony patents EE emulation for Cell processors- (could this mean PS2 games available on the PS store? Software update for BC?)

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29/sony-patents-emotion-engine-emulation-technology-for-cell-processors/

Taiwanese firms awarded contract for PS3 Slim -

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/30/rumor-taiwanese-firms-awarded-ps3-slim-manufacturing-contracts/

Price drop has been talked about for awhile now...

Deberg_1990
06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I can see a PS3 slim. The current design is kind of awkward with its rounded top.

Buck
06-30-2009, 01:12 PM
No way its as slim as the PS2 Slim

CoMoChief
06-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Does the Blu Ray player wear out easily on the PS3? Is it a good quality one?

Buck
06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I dont know the Technical aspects of it CoMo, but I can say that the PS3 is probably the best Blu-Ray player you can get right now because it connects directly to the internet and whenever they make new firmware available, you can D/L it right then and there.

I have 2. I've had no problems thus far, and I've owned one of them since Feb 2008.

Right now the cheapest you can get one new is $399 I think, and most high-end Blu-Ray only players are that same price...

KCtotheSB
06-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Depending on the cost/features/compatibility, I wouldn't object to trading in my bulky one for a sleeker model.

Guru
06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Unless there is a really good trade up deal, I won't be messing with the slim.

Shag
06-30-2009, 02:11 PM
As long as the backwards compatibility isn't unique to the slim (which would be a HUGE mistake by Sony), this sounds like good news. I still have a hard time believing they stripped that out...

Basileus777
06-30-2009, 02:15 PM
That patent isn't really anything new, Sony's been emulating the emotion engine chip for years. It's the PS2 graphics synthesizer that they haven't been able to emulate.

I don't particularly care about backwards compatibility with how far PS2 emulation on the PC how advanced. I'm enjoying playing PS2 games at 1920x1200 with 16x AA and AF far too much to ever play them on a PS3.

kepp
06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Does the Blu Ray player wear out easily on the PS3? Is it a good quality one?

I've had mine for almost two years now and it still runs fine. Also, I've heard (and have nothing to back this up with) that the PS3's blu ray player loads a lot faster than dedicated BR players because of its hardware.

KCFalcon59
06-30-2009, 09:38 PM
I want to get the PS3. I just won't pay for it at the cost it is now. Having to add another controller and then games. Just too expensive right out the gate.

TinyEvel
06-30-2009, 09:40 PM
I dont know the Technical aspects of it CoMo, but I can say that the PS3 is probably the best Blu-Ray player you can get right now because it connects directly to the internet and whenever they make new firmware available, you can D/L it right then and there.

I have 2. I've had no problems thus far, and I've owned one of them since Feb 2008.

Right now the cheapest you can get one new is $399 I think, and most high-end Blu-Ray only players are that same price...

THIS is what I would have said, exactly, and I KNOW, trust me.

TinyEvel
06-30-2009, 09:43 PM
I want to get the PS3. I just won't pay for it at the cost it is now. Having to add another controller and then games. Just too expensive right out the gate.

I cannot find it, but a few months ago, there was an article that compared the cost of a system and two controllers, wireless and internet connected, the Wii was the most expensive and PS3 was cheapest for the cost over the first year.

(free online service, rechargeable controllers, built-in wi-fi, built in HD)

Guru
06-30-2009, 10:16 PM
I cannot find it, but a few months ago, there was an article that compared the cost of a system and two controllers, wireless and internet connected, the Wii was the most expensive and PS3 was cheapest for the cost over the first year.

(free online service, rechargeable controllers, built-in wi-fi, built in HD)The only flaw in logic there is the fact KCfalcon already owns a 360 and Wii. It is hard to make the jump into purchasing the third console. Trust me, I KNOW. :D

Don't get me wrong, I am glad I did but had I not found the $299 deal I came across I still probably wouldn't own one and that would have been my loss. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have purchased the PS3 first.

TinyEvel
06-30-2009, 10:23 PM
The only flaw in logic there is the fact KCfalcon already owns a 360 and Wii. It is hard to make the jump into purchasing the third console. Trust me, I KNOW. :D

Don't get me wrong, I am glad I did but had I not found the $299 deal I came across I still probably wouldn't own one and that would have been my loss. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have purchased the PS3 first.

You $10 shill fee is on its way :D

KCFalcon59
06-30-2009, 10:27 PM
The only flaw in logic there is the fact KCfalcon already owns a 360 and Wii. It is hard to make the jump into purchasing the third console. Trust me, I KNOW. :D

This. The Wii doesn't get a lot of play from me and the boy. My daughter plays it when she can get some game time. There is a bundle now with MLB the Show and Quantum of Solace. MLB The Show is what I would probably have bought first. It's tempting, I just can't spend 500+ at this time. Drop a 100 and It will be easier to jump, but still very tough to do.

BigMeatballDave
06-30-2009, 10:38 PM

Right now the cheapest you can get one new is $399 I think, and most high-end Blu-Ray only players are that same price...That firmware stuff is BS. I have a $200 Magnavox BD player and I have yet to encounter a disc that has any issues in it.

Guru
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
You $10 shill fee is on its way :DROFL

Guru
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
That firmware stuff is BS. I have a $200 Magnavox BD player and I have yet to encounter a disc that has any issues in it.The only disc that I think that problem ever applied to was the Ironman disc.

meStevo
06-30-2009, 11:19 PM
That firmware stuff is BS. I have a $200 Magnavox BD player and I have yet to encounter a disc that has any issues in it.

The Best Buy Magnavox was recently available $89 or $99 too, the Blu-Ray player is really a secondary excuse to make the jump now.

The Iron Man disc had problems on many players, it was a usability nightmare. The disc checks in any downloads updates automatically, for the first couple of evenings on the market internet connected BD players had to wait several to 45 minutes for it to download/update unless BD Live was disabled.

No progress indicator, no information about what was going on, just a flashing Arc Reactor on a black screen.

Guru
06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
The Best Buy Magnavox was recently available $89 or $99 too, the Blu-Ray player is really a secondary excuse to make the jump now.

The Iron Man disc had problems on many players, it was a usability nightmare. The disc checks in any downloads updates automatically, for the first couple of evenings on the market internet connected BD players had to wait several to 45 minutes for it to download/update unless BD Live was disabled.

No progress indicator, no information about what was going on, just a flashing Arc Reactor on a black screen.
IT was a complete dumbass programming error on their part. Why they would set it up to go directly to the internet before going to the disc menu is beyond me.

meStevo
07-01-2009, 12:32 AM
They all do that, most just ask now. Even still, for many BD Live is a joke, just serves as an advertising portal :(

Looking forward to Watchmen though... http://www.latinoreview.com/news/check-out-watchmen-s-maximum-movie-mode-7272

Guru
07-01-2009, 12:35 AM
They all do that, most just ask now. Even still, for many BD Live is a joke, just serves as an advertising portal :(

Looking forward to Watchmen though... http://www.latinoreview.com/news/check-out-watchmen-s-maximum-movie-mode-7272I have yet to see the purpose of BD Live. Friggin useless crap.

cookster50
07-01-2009, 06:13 AM
This. The Wii doesn't get a lot of play from me and the boy. My daughter plays it when she can get some game time. There is a bundle now with MLB the Show and Quantum of Solace. MLB The Show is what I would probably have bought first. It's tempting, I just can't spend 500+ at this time. Drop a 100 and It will be easier to jump, but still very tough to do.

I had a thread about this awhile back and one person had a dense head and didn't know what it was all about, but if you want details look up that thread.(Though the deal now no longer has no interest...)
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=srnowps3

Saulbadguy
07-01-2009, 10:00 AM
A Chinese publication has reported a rumor that a slimmer version of Sony’s PlayStation 3 console will be hitting stores July.

Anonymous sources told Economic Daily News that a lighter, smaller PS3 is due in stores July “to cope with extended summer vacation demands.” (Translation: Sony is targeting parents eager to spend money on a gadget to distract their bored, restless kids who are out of school for three months.)

The rumor conflicts with a previous report published by Ars Technica, who received a tip from an inside source that the rumored “PS3 Slim” would launch fall. This would give Sony ample time to clear out its current PS3 inventory before the slimmer version hits shelves. (We’re betting a fall release is more likely due to this reasoning.)

Whatever the case may be, Sony appears to be the worst at keeping upcoming products secret. If you recall, consumers knew practically everything about the PSP Go — the smaller, flash-based version of the PlayStation Portable handheld console — days before officially announcing it.