PDA

View Full Version : Misc 2009 1/2 NFL Draft -7/16/09

LaChapelle
07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Any players available in the supplemental draft worth spending a pick on?

edit: Supplemental Draft: A Third Player Declares
Written by NFL Draft Bible
Tuesday, 09 June 2009 22:34
A third player has officially submitted paperwork to enter the 2009 NFL Supplemental Draft. Central Michigan offensive tackle Joe McMahon joins Kentucky defensive end Jeremy Jarmon and Florida State wide receiver Corey Surrency as eligible prospects in the silent-auction set to take place on July 16th.

The 6í3, 300-pound McMahon has starting experience at both guard and center. The NFL Draft Bible projects him as a sixth or seventh round bid. The Sports Studies major was forced to leave school due to academic reasons.

Earlier in the day, Jarmon visited with the Philadelphia Eagles. It is unknown if he worked out for the team. In January, the NFL Draft Advisory Board told Jarmon he had a third-to-fifth round grade.

Surrency is unlikely to be selected due to character concerns, which would make him free to sign with any NFL team.

Check back for more updates leading up to the draft as we plan to profile the final player pool available. The deadline to enter is July 6th.

---------------
7/16/09 edit:

Eight players are eligible this year:

Jeremy Jarmon

Western Kentucky linebacker Blake Boyd

Southern Mississippi receiver Torris Magee

Texas Tech defensive end McKinner Dixon

Central Michigan guard Joe McMahon

Tennessee safety Demetrice Morley

Kansas State receiver Deon Murphy

and Florida State receiver Corey Surrency

DeezNutz
07-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Any QBs?

doomy3
07-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Speaking of supplemental drafts, I really wish we would have taken Jared Gaither a few years back. He is a stud tackle for the Ravens.

Sigh.

LaChapelle
07-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Supplemental Draft: A Third Player Declares
Written by NFL Draft Bible
Tuesday, 09 June 2009 22:34
A third player has officially submitted paperwork to enter the 2009 NFL Supplemental Draft. Central Michigan offensive tackle Joe McMahon joins Kentucky defensive end Jeremy Jarmon and Florida State wide receiver Corey Surrency as eligible prospects in the silent-auction set to take place on July 16th.

The 6’3, 300-pound McMahon has starting experience at both guard and center. The NFL Draft Bible projects him as a sixth or seventh round bid. The Sports Studies major was forced to leave school due to academic reasons.

Earlier in the day, Jarmon visited with the Philadelphia Eagles. It is unknown if he worked out for the team. In January, the NFL Draft Advisory Board told Jarmon he had a third-to-fifth round grade.

Surrency is unlikely to be selected due to character concerns, which would make him free to sign with any NFL team.

Check back for more updates leading up to the draft as we plan to profile the final player pool available. The deadline to enter is July 6th.

Dicky McElephant
07-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Speaking of supplemental drafts, I really wish we would have taken Jared Gaither a few years back. He is a stud tackle for the Ravens.

Sigh.

That would have been awesome. I wonder if they would have still drafted Albert and just put him at LG.

bsp4444
07-02-2009, 04:18 PM
I'd be curious to see how some of the supplemental players have turned out over the years.

Mr. Krab
07-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Updated: 7:06 AM ET Mon, Jun. 08, 2009
Jarmon will enter NFL's July draft

UK end speaks out on NCAA suspension

By Chip Cosby / ccosby@herald-leader.com
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://media.kentucky.com/static/scripts/thickbox.js"></script> http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2009/05/24/02/611-090524jarmon6.embedded.prod_affiliate.79.jpg (http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2009/05/24/02/404-090524jarmon6.standalone.prod_affiliate.79.jpg)
The 6-foot-3, 277-pound defensive end has been one of
the Cats' most feared pass rushers the past two seasons.
He tallied 10 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks in 2008, bringing
his career totals to 30 tackles for loss and 17.5 quarterback sacks.
Jarmon also has 130 career tackles, two fumbles recovered,
five forced fumbles and 12 pass breakups. He will enter 2009
needing nine sacks to break Oliver Barnett's school record of 26.

<!-- no image assets -->

Jeremy Jarmon was supposed to be using this time to get ready for his final fall camp as a University of Kentucky Wildcat. But a sudden change of plans has him preparing for a jump to the National Football League.

Jarmon, a defensive end who was third on the UK all-time sack list, was ruled ineligible by the NCAA for testing positive for a banned substance in March. He is now working out in Nashville in preparation for the NFL Supplemental Draft, which will be held on July 16. Jarmon will work out for NFL teams on the UK campus July 9 and then set up individual workouts in the week leading up to the draft.
Jarmon considered several options, including returning to school and waiting for the 2010 NFL Draft and playing his final year at an NAIA school. But he decided to opt for the supplemental draft, which is designed for players who have lost their collegiate eligibility.

"I just felt like the supplemental draft was the best situation for me," Jarmon said. "I wish it would have come a year from now, but I'm excited about the opportunity. I'm in Nashville working hard trying to get in the best shape I can, because I've got to go into this thing as ready as possible."

Jarmon held a news conference on May 22 and said that he took a dietary supplement not knowing it contained a banned substance. While he said he tested negative in a later test, his appeal to the NCAA was still denied.

The ruling brought a wide range of opinions from fans, coaches and national media, many of whom questioned how a player with a high-character reputation like Jarmon could be penalized so severely for what appeared to be an honest mistake.
Jarmon said he was disappointed with the NCAA's decision but said he understood why the ruling was made.

"The NCAA, in my opinion, tries to be as fair as possible when passing down decisions because it rules based on precedent," Jarmon said. "So from their standpoint, it's always a tough decision to overturn a case. If you go back and look at the facts from a lot of other cases, my situation does have variables that were completely different from others. But they don't want to necessarily look at cases individually. It's more of a collective thing, and by doing that they feel like they're protecting everyone's interests in the fairest way possible."

After talking with UK officials, Jarmon decided against revealing the substance he took or where it was purchased.
"It was a situation where there was already negative publicity, and that would have just added negative publicity for the store and maker of the supplement," he said.

Jarmon said that he would advise his former teammates and other athletes to never make assumptions when it comes to over-the-counter products.

"One thing that I've found out is there's a lot of things on the NCAA's list (of banned substances), over-the-counter things that you might not even think about," Jarmon said. "If I had a sinus infection, I couldn't just go get regular Sudafed. I'd have to get Sudafed without ephedrine.

"You can't make assumptions like that because you go into a store that it's acceptable for you to take it. I read a Sports Illustrated article where someone went out and bought a bunch of over-the-counter supplements, and it turned out a large percentage of them contained substances that were banned by the NCAA, NFL, Major League Baseball and the Olympics."

Jarmon's absence leaves the Wildcats with a gaping hole at defensive end. UK has no ends on its roster who have made a tackle in a collegiate game. But Jarmon said he thinks the UK defense will ultimately be able to overcome his loss and pointed to a solid trio of senior defensive players — linebacker Micah Johnson, defensive back Trevard Lindley and defensive tackle Corey Peters.

"They'll be fine," Jarmon said. "I really think they'll be able to overcome it. I think Corey will do a great job of anchoring the D-line and getting those young guys to learn to how to play with him. I'm very confident that the defensive line is going to do well."
All 32 teams have an opportunity to make a selection in the supplemental draft but would lose their draft pick in the corresponding round of the 2010 NFL Draft. The supplemental draft is done by e-mail, with each team submitting to the league the name of the player or players they are interested in along with the round of the supplemental draft they would like to choose them. The team that submits the highest bid is awarded rights to the player. Jarmon said the Eagles are among several teams who have called and expressed interest, and he's scheduled to fly to Philadelphia on Tuesday to meet with the coaching staff and discuss their defensive scheme.

Jarmon seemed in good spirits, and said the support he's gotten from friends, family and fans helped him quickly bounce back from the disappointment of losing his senior year.

"I got all kinds of Facebook messages, calls, texts, not only from UK fans, but from fans from other schools," Jarmon said. "Louisville, South Carolina; it made me feel really good that people who didn't even know me were there to support me. That helped me rebound and get back on my feet, and now I'm ready to take the next step."

Just Passin' By
07-02-2009, 05:33 PM
"One thing that I've found out is there's a lot of things on the NCAA's list (of banned substances), over-the-counter things that you might not even think about," Jarmon said. "If I had a sinus infection, I couldn't just go get regular Sudafed. I'd have to get Sudafed without ephedrine.

This is the thing that a lot of outsiders don't understand about the drug testing policies. It's not as easy to just avoid the banned substances as people think. You get a cold and buy nasal spray and, the next thing you know, you're testing positive. It's really a lousy system.

LaChapelle
07-02-2009, 06:30 PM
The 2008 supplemental draft was cancelled for lack of interest.
-here is an article from 2007:

Supplemental draft can produce prospects

When NFL teams sit down and prepare for the 2007 supplemental draft, they will be looking for that diamond in the rough or guy (like Cincinnati Bengal Ahmad Brooks) they believe can get over any character, grade or off the field issues that mightíve plagued them during college. Although supplemental draft prospects arenít always about bad incidents in college or grades, the players involved are often a risky pick. Although itís a risky pick, it can pay off in the end Ė just ask the Philadelphia Eagles or the Cleveland Browns. Receiver Cris Carter and quarterback Bernie Kosar were once selected in the supplemental draft, and teams often hope to hit the same type of success each year, but most players who enter arenít drafted.

Although the supplemental draft is an important part of the NFL offseason, it isnít as cut and dried as the NFL Draft. Additionally, the average fan probably doesnít know much about it. Teams arenít sitting around in New York City making picks and Mel Kiper isnít anywhere on site. In reality, teams now make their picks through e-mail or phone and the draft order is somewhat different. The order from the 2007 draft will be used, but think NBA Lottery with the order of three different groups divided up by certain characteristics.

The draft has seven rounds, so if a team makes a selection in one of the rounds, they have to give up their selection in the 2008 NFL Draft. Although itís a tough gamble, if you are high on a player and they can help you now, it may be worth it. The 2007 supplemental class has a few players who are worth consideration and it will be interesting to see how the teams value their talent in this draft.

Hereís a look at some of the more recent supplemental picks and how they did in the NFL.

Milford Brown, Houston

Brown has five NFL seasons to his credit, but he hasnít started a full season of work for any team and is currently in the unemployment line. Brown was cut by the Cardinals this offseason and hasnít received much interest from the rest of the NFL.

Tony Hollings, Houston

Hollings was highly regarded at Georgia Tech, but could never carry that success into the NFL. Hollings was lackluster in his career, posting 49 carries for 149 yards and no touchdowns. No longer in the league.

Manuel Wright, Miami

Although Wright came into the league highly regarded, he hasnít done much of anything and may be out of chances. With the Dolphins, Wright will be remembered for crying and walking off the field, after a conversation with Nick Saban. After the Dolphins released him, the Bills picked him up Ė but he didnít stay there long. Wright was later released from the team, as he was overweight and the team didnít want to bother.

Ahmad Brooks, Cincinnati

Out of the four most recent supplemental draft picks, Brooks is the only who probably has a future in the league. Brooks is coming off a 31-tackle season and the Bengals are high on him filling one of their linebacker spots this season. Heís still learning on the job, but the early take wasnít bad. Assuming he stays healthy in training camp, he should win the starting middle linebacker spot.

As is evident by the past four supplemental draft selections, there are good and bad. If you look back at the history of this draft, that theme is prevalent throughout.

The Vikings and Eagles both hit home runs with their picks, but what about the Cowboys taking Steve Walsh with a first round pick? Dave Brown with the Giants in 1992 with a first round pick? Anyone remember Brian Bosworth? Ouch, thatís what I thought.

Successes? Well, we have Carter, Kosar, Rob Moore with the Jets, Bobby Humphrey had two good years in the league, but thatís about it. How about the Chargers selection of defensive tackle Jamal Williams in the second round of the supplemental draft in 1998?

After the 2007 supplemental draft wraps up, it will be worth watching how the players adjust to life in the NFL. As in the case of Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver and Maryland offensive tackle Jared Gaither, both couldíve been first day picks in next yearís draft, but are coming out early. Can they make an impact now? Will they be the next Manuel Wright or Cris Carter? Those are questions that will play out during the 2007 season and beyond, but as evidenced by past history, the supplemental draft is a mix bag of results Ė so be careful what you wish for your team to do.

LaChapelle
07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Jeremy Jarmon draws 18 teams to workout
Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2009 8:18 AM

In some years, the NFL's supplemental draft attracts ample interest. In other years, it doesn't.

This year, next week's supplemental draft is getting some but not much interest, thanks to a guy who lost his college eligibility after testing positive for a banned substance.

Per the Lexington Herald-Leader, 18 teams showed up Thursday for the pre-supplemental draft workout of former Kentucky defensive end Jeremy Jarmon.

One team that sent a fairly heavy delegation to Lexington was the Redskins. Executive V.P. Vinny Cerrato spoke about the process of evaluating a player like Jarmon.

"First you evaluate [Jarmon] on film, and if you like what you see on film then it brings you down for the workout," Cerrato said. "It gives you a chance to see him move around and see him athletically, and you get to talk to him, his coaches and trainers and find out all the background information."

The fact that the most one of the most important pieces of background information -- a failed test for a banned substance -- didn't stop 18 teams from showing up tells us all we need to know about the attitude toward cheating in football.

The fans don't really care, the media doesn't really care, so why should the teams care?

veist
07-10-2009, 12:58 PM
From my understanding with Jarmon it was just a dietary supplement that anyone can buy and not any kind of serious substance. This is also a guy that has already graduated and did stuff with their drama department so he doesn't exactly have the profile of a 'roider.

Mecca
07-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Surrency actually has a really interesting personal story I'm surprised he has character concerns. His background is far from typical.

LaChapelle
07-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Two more players declare for supplemental draft
Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 11, 2009 5:38 PM

The NFL supplemental draft is beginning to take shape for Thursday with two more players joining a list of prospects headlined by Kentucky defensive end Jeremy Jarmon.

According to Tim Griffin of ESPN.com, Kansas State wide receiver Deon Murphy and Texas Tech defensive end McKinner Dixon have declared for the supplemental draft.

Per the report, Murphy hasn't been part of the Wildcats' team since prior to spring football.

One year removed from being named the Big 12 Conference's Offensive Newcomer of the Year, Murphy slumped to 37 catches for 555 yards last season.

During his first season in the "other" Manhattan in 2007, Murphy registered 57 receptions for 650 yards.

Meanwhile, Dixon leaves Texas Tech after being suspended due to academic problems.

Dixon, who recorded nine sacks last season, was also arrested in May in Texas and was charged with an open container alcohol violation as well as failure to have insurance.

"We wish [Dixon] the best," Texas Tech coach Mike Leach told ESPN.com.

The list of supplemental draft entries also includes Central Michigan offensive tackle Joe McMahon and Florida State wide receiver Corey Surrency.

wild1
07-11-2009, 05:03 PM
"The Sports Studies major was forced to leave school due to academic reasons."

hmmm

Halfcan
07-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Sounds like we might be busy bringing in a few guys??

LaChapelle
07-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Eight players are eligible this year:
Jeremy Jarmon
Western Kentucky linebacker Blake Boyd
Southern Mississippi receiver Torris Magee
Texas Tech defensive end McKinner Dixon
Central Michigan guard Joe McMahon
Tennessee safety Demetrice Morley
Kansas State receiver Deon Murphy
and Florida State receiver Corey Surrency

I take it no one lost any sleep last night

Micjones
07-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd DEFINITELY take Jarmon.

Coogs
07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/07/16/redskins-select-de-jarmon-in-supplemental-draft/

Redskins select DE Jarmon in supplemental draft Posted: July 16th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: 2009 NFL Supplemental Draft, Jeremy Jarmon, Kentucky, Washington Redskins

The Redskins made the only selection of the 2009 NFL Supplemental Draft, taking Kentucky DE Jeremy Jarmon with the 19th pick in the third round.

The Redskins forfeit their third-round selection in the 2010 NFL Draft for selecting Jarmon.

Jarmon tested positive for a banned substance in May and, under NCAA rules, would have been suspended for his senior season at Kentucky, so he entered the supplemental draft. Jarmon received honorable mention on the All-Southeastern Conference team last year and made the second team in 2007. He ranks third on Kentucky’s career list with 17.5 sacks.