PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone else here go to Bally's?

Silock
07-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Man, ever since they closed Hilltop and Indian Creek, leaving only Olathe open, it's been a madhouse there.

If the spinning instructors weren't so good, I would be changing gyms tomorrow. Already seriously contemplating it . . .

stlchiefs
07-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I do here in STL. They've closed a couple of locations over the past few years as well. I haven't been there long enough to know the difference, but many people say it's gotten dirtier and more crowded.

I have a lifetime membership, but just joined Club Fitness as well as it's closer. The manager at this gym said 6 years ago in St. Louis there were 6 Bally's and 2 of their gyms. There are now 16 Club Fitness locations and 2 Bally's. Not looking good for Bally's.

sodcat
07-02-2009, 07:59 PM
To bad about Bally's, I use to use the ones in Long Beach/San Diego known as Holiday Fitness (same outfit) and they were always very clean and kept updated. If there was one in the northland of KC I would re-join.

TJR1486
07-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I went to the Olathe ballys until april, then when my contract was up i joined 24 hr fitness on 135th and blackbob

petegz28
07-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I left Bally's and went to the Y. I didn't realize they closed Indian Creek as well. Olathe was crowded as it was....glad I don't go there anymore

Silock
07-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I didn't think the Olathe Bally's was crowded until now. It's just gotten ridiculous, though.

Kyle DeLexus
07-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Prairie Life Fitness. Worked there for 2 years and now I go there a couple times a week since I still have a free membership. I've been trying 68's Inside Sports and Element Fitness since they are close to home and the office, but they aren't as good as PLF. 68's isn't too bad, but I don't want to buy a membership since I have one somewhere else still.

Silock
07-03-2009, 01:43 AM
How much is Prarie Life? I remember it being retarded expensive.

Kyle DeLexus
07-03-2009, 02:09 AM
How much is Prarie Life? I remember it being retarded expensive.

It's a nice $64.46/month. It's pretty expensive, but right around what Life Time is if I remember right.

Silock
07-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Yeah, there's no way I'm paying that. The wife and I pay $40 combined per mo without a contract at Bally's.

Kyle DeLexus
07-03-2009, 02:53 AM
Yeah, there's no way I'm paying that. The wife and I pay $40 combined per mo without a contract at Bally's.

I had no idea Bally's was that cheap really. Element Fitness which is a horrible gym IMO is around $50/month for a single. And 68's is $40/month for a single.

XXXshogunXXX
07-03-2009, 05:22 AM
isnt ballys a girls gym? mostly machines, small free weights and stuff.

Do they have 24 hour fitness' there in KC?

LaChapelle
07-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Where do gyms rate on the scale of biggest scams of all times?

Crashride
07-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Im a member of one here in tampa. I would have dropped them and found something cheaper but they have a step mill machine. I need to keep up with that to pass the physical for the Fire Dept. Stair machines will kick your ass.

Silock
07-03-2009, 07:07 AM
isnt ballys a girls gym? mostly machines, small free weights and stuff.

Do they have 24 hour fitness' there in KC?

Maybe in some places. Bally's in Olathe is mostly free weights, but they do have some machines.

Yes, they have 24 Hour Fitness, but it's much more expensive than what I'm paying.

45 lbs plates weigh the same regardless of how much you're paying per month.

Silock
07-03-2009, 07:08 AM

It's only a scam if you don't use it.

Cash Cow
07-03-2009, 08:16 AM

This!

sodcat
07-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Correct! I once read that over 50% of the people that sign the contract usually end up not using the place for long, I used this place in conjunction with the military pt to get me not only through the military, but to get outstanding scores as well.

rageeumr
07-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Maybe in some places. Bally's in Olathe is mostly free weights, but they do have some machines.

Yes, they have 24 Hour Fitness, but it's much more expensive than what I'm paying.

I pay $10 a month at 24 hour. I used to pay $5 a month when I went to the one in Shawnee, but to "upgrade" to the one on Metcalf I had to pay $5 more a month.

Of course I paid like $800 up front, but compared to $50/month, I've paid that $800 back about 4 times over.

KCUnited
07-03-2009, 11:42 AM
FWIW, Costco has been selling 2 year 24 Hour Fitness memberships for $300. Comes out to about $13 a month.

DaneMcCloud
07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I used to go to Bally's in the 90's but by about 2001, their gyms began to erode so quickly that I had to cut off my membership. It was disgustingly filthy. They'd allow people to work out in jeans and button down shirts, people could work out without a towel (thus leaving sweat everywhere) and I finally said to hell with it. I was only paying $8 dollars a month at that point but it was too freakin' gross.

I bought a membership at 24 Hour Fitness for $740 for three years. After the three years ended, it went to $20 dollars a year. So since 2007, all I've paid is $20 bucks to use any 24 Hour Fitness gym nationwide. They are much, much cleaner (though always jam-packed), the pool is nice and clean as are the steam rooms.

I've had Bally's contact me each year, offering a $10 re-activiation fee and I swear, I'll never step foot in a Bally's ever again.

Otter
07-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I used to go to Bally's in the 90's but by about 2001, their gyms began to erode so quickly that I had to cut off my membership. It was disgustingly filthy. They'd allow people to work out in jeans and button down shirts, people could work out without a towel (thus leaving sweat everywhere) and I finally said to hell with it. I was only paying $8 dollars a month at that point but it was too freakin' gross.

I bought a membership at 24 Hour Fitness for $740 for three years. After the three years ended, it went to $20 dollars a year. So since 2007, all I've paid is $20 bucks to use any 24 Hour Fitness gym nationwide. They are much, much cleaner (though always jam-packed), the pool is nice and clean as are the steam rooms.

I've had Bally's contact me each year, offering a $10 re-activiation fee and I swear, I'll never step foot in a Bally's ever again.

Besides being plain stupid and uncomfortable why would you care if anyone worked out in jeans? I think I'd get a good laugh out of it.

DaneMcCloud
07-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Besides being plain stupid and uncomfortable why would you care if anyone worked out in jeans? I think I'd get a good laugh out of it.

Um, without intending to sound "racist", the people working out in jeans were day laborers that were already sweaty and filthy to begin with. I don't really like sitting on exercise bikes and touching dirty handles, or dirty, sweaty handles on treadmills or sit up benches, etc.

It was just a cesspool of filth at Bally's.

XXXshogunXXX
07-03-2009, 04:16 PM

says the fattest guy in the world..

Anyway, alot of boxing clubs are showing up here. It's not old boxing gyms, but kickboxing/mma/boxing type clubs. Boot camp style classes for an hour. I've been going to 24hr for years but changing it up to this is alot better. I was sore for a week after 1 day of an ab and boxing class. I lhad a hard time just standing up straight.

Their facilities are amazing too....looks like working out in the future. Problem is their month to month is around $100 a month, contract for a year is like $50. Right now I'm keeping both memberships.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I paid $200 for a 1 year membership at 24 hour fitness. I'd never go anywhere else. Yeah it's busy, but it's clean and well maintained. Machines go down, they're back up and running within an hour for the most part.

Kyle DeLexus
07-03-2009, 04:25 PM
says the fattest guy in the world..

Anyway, alot of boxing clubs are showing up here. It's not old boxing gyms, but kickboxing/mma/boxing type clubs. Boot camp style classes for an hour. I've been going to 24hr for years but changing it up to this is alot better. I was sore for a week after 1 day of an ab and boxing class. I lhad a hard time just standing up straight.

Their facilities are amazing too....looks like working out in the future. Problem is their month to month is around $100 a month, contract for a year is like $50. Right now I'm keeping both memberships.

Title Boxing? I thought about going for the free class they offer just to check it out. I'm only needing something for the last month of summer. Got the free rec at KU and my new apartment complex has a fitness center so I'll be good then.

Otter
07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Um, without intending to sound "racist", the people working out in jeans were day laborers that were already sweaty and filthy to begin with. I don't really like sitting on exercise bikes and touching dirty handles, or dirty, sweaty handles on treadmills or sit up benches, etc.

It was just a cesspool of filth at Bally's.

Well Dane, maybe before you and I are dead those illegal immigrants snubbing their nose at our nations laws won't get to our gated community.

We'll let that for the kids to worry about. **** the the laws, "Anarchy" I say. I guess I'm just a racist prick.

Kyle DeLexus
07-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Well Dane, maybe before you and I are dead those illegal immigrants snubbing their nose at our nations laws won't get to our gated community.

We'll let that for the kids to worry about. **** the the laws, "Anarchy" I say. I guess I'm just a racist prick.

Hey I'm moving to a gated community, do I get some kind of membership package? Preferred parking pass or key to the club house perhaps?

Otter
07-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey I'm moving to a gated community, do I get some kind of membership package? Preferred parking pass or key to the club house perhaps?

Depends on your community and how much you're willing to spend for the problem of illegal immigrants not being your problem.

Ignore it and its your kids problem.

BWillie
07-05-2009, 12:48 AM

I pay just under 23 dollars at 24 hour fitness in Olathe. I only have the Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday pass. I don't actually like 24 hour fitness though. I go late at night and I still think its packed. If you go after work around 5 to 8 like most people it is terrible.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2009, 01:01 AM
I pay just under 23 dollars at 24 hour fitness in Olathe. I only have the Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday pass. I don't actually like 24 hour fitness though. I go late at night and I still think its packed. If you go after work around 5 to 8 like most people it is terrible.

Drag your ass down there before work and you'll be happier. I mean, I've never been there but that's the exact scenario I face at 24 hour fitness out here in Seattle. I get down there by quarter after five in the morning and it's the same faces everyday, and not crowded at all.

Kyle DeLexus
07-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Drag your ass down there before work and you'll be happier. I mean, I've never been there but that's the exact scenario I face at 24 hour fitness out here in Seattle. I get down there by quarter after five in the morning and it's the same faces everyday, and not crowded at all.Too damn early for me. I've been trying to go to sleep early and get up early for workouts, but I really think I have bonafide insomnia. I've tried about every OTC "sleeping pill" I can get my hands on and even the Melatonin or whatever stuff. I just can't get to sleep.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Too damn early for me. I've been trying to go to sleep early and get up early for workouts, but I really think I have bonafide insomnia. I've tried about every OTC "sleeping pill" I can get my hands on and even the Melatonin or whatever stuff. I just can't get to sleep.

I've been a night owl my whole life. Melatonin is the only reason I'm able to do it, but if I don't go that early I won't go at all. Desperation is a powerful emotion.

Kyle DeLexus
07-05-2009, 01:13 AM
I've been a night owl my whole life. Melatonin is the only reason I'm able to do it, but if I don't go that early I won't go at all. Desperation is a powerful emotion.

I'm thinking about going to the Dr. and seeing if I can get something stronger to put me down. I really would like to be in bed by 10 or 11 every night and up by 6 or 7.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm thinking about going to the Dr. and seeing if I can get something stronger to put me down. I really would like to be in bed by 10 or 11 every night and up by 6 or 7.

Be careful of Ambien dude. My wife took that once and I confiscated her prescription and tossed them. We were having a conversation and she went from lucidly explaining her position to a zombie in mid sentence. I couldn't wake her up and she was sleeping with her eyes open. It freaked me the fuck out.

Kyle DeLexus
07-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Be careful of Ambien dude. My wife took that once and I confiscated her prescription and tossed them. We were having a conversation and she went from lucidly explaining her position to a zombie in mid sentence. I couldn't wake her up and she was sleeping with her eyes open. It freaked me the fuck out.

Now see thats the kind of stuff I need to be taking! Right now I just can't get to sleep and won't fall asleep until like between 2-6am. Sometimes people will try to wake me up in the morning and I'll have conversations with them and remember nothing when I wake up. It's beginning to really be a problem, I don't get to work until late and I have class at 8am next semester.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Now see thats the kind of stuff I need to be taking! Right now I just can't get to sleep and won't fall asleep until like between 2-6am. Sometimes people will try to wake me up in the morning and I'll have conversations with them and remember nothing when I wake up. It's beginning to really be a problem, I don't get to work until late and I have class at 8am next semester.

If you just deprive yourself you can train yourself to sleep when you want. It takes time but you can be the boss of it over the long haul if you're willing to be really fucking tired and live off of next to no sleep for a few days.

Kyle DeLexus
07-05-2009, 01:40 AM
If you just deprive yourself you can train yourself to sleep when you want. It takes time but you can be the boss of it over the long haul if you're willing to be really fucking tired and live off of next to no sleep for a few days.

I lived off 0-4 hours sleep since maybe 8th grade and caught up on the weekends. It's never really bothered me until recently though. I would always try to go to bed at like 12, but never could so I'd just listen to music or something. There have been times that I fell asleep at 1 or 2ish and would get up around 6. When I get up that early I feel better the rest of the day, so I want to make that a permanent lifestyle change and have tried the no sleep and go to bed early the next day trick and it doesn't work.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2009, 01:44 AM
I lived off 0-4 hours sleep since maybe 8th grade and caught up on the weekends. It's never really bothered me until recently though. I would always try to go to bed at like 12, but never could so I'd just listen to music or something. There have been times that I fell asleep at 1 or 2ish and would get up around 6. When I get up that early I feel better the rest of the day, so I want to make that a permanent lifestyle change and have tried the no sleep and go to bed early the next day trick and it doesn't work.

Yeah it sounds like you may really need to see a Dr. about it. 0-4 hours of sleep wouldn't work for me at longer than a 2-3 day clip before I passed out at 4pm.

Kyle DeLexus
07-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Yeah it sounds like you may really need to see a Dr. about it. 0-4 hours of sleep wouldn't work for me at longer than a 2-3 day clip before I passed out at 4pm.

Lol yeah it was kinda cool at first, since I was in Jr. High I would just watch late night tv like the girls gone wild commercials. Lately it's just a hassel. I do sleep later on the weekends and get "caught up" but it's still not enough. When I don't have work or school I can sleep in later, but never get to sleep any earlier.