PDA

View Full Version : Football If the Steelers win the Superbowl again....

KCChiefsMan
07-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Who is the team of the decade? The Steelers and the Patriots would have 3 championships a piece. Do the Pats get it since they appeared in 4 Superbowls? Probably, but the argument can be made for the Steelers. We all know the Cowboys were the team of the 90's, the 49ers the team of the 80's, etc...

Of course, as of right now the Patriots hold that title, BUT if the Steelers repeat this year, who will it be?

Halfcan
07-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Steelers just find a way to win.

Sully
07-03-2009, 05:28 PM
It's a tough one to call, and there's probably no correct answer.
I voted the Pats, however, because of where they came from and because they've done it in different ways. Regular season-wise I'd give a slight edge to the Pats, but even that is tough when you compare the divisions they've played in.

Great question, though.

JuicesFlowing
07-03-2009, 05:34 PM
It's a tough one to call, and there's probably no correct answer.
I voted the Pats, however, because of where they came from and because they've done it in different ways. Regular season-wise I'd give a slight edge to the Pats, but even that is tough when you compare the divisions they've played in.

Great question, though.

Well said. I voted Pats as well, but there is no denying the Steelers organization ... they both have great foundations and know how to win.

Slainte
07-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Each would have 3 wins. Pats would have 4 appearances though. Pretty much answers the question, doesn't it?

Psyko Tek
07-03-2009, 07:25 PM
pats have the hype

Hydrae
07-03-2009, 07:26 PM
The next Super Bowl is in 2010, the next decade. :D

I would say Pats anyway because of the (all but) undefeated season.

Raised On Riots
07-03-2009, 07:34 PM
It's not even about this decade. The Steelers are a franchise that have never and will never do 10 year, 20 year, or 30 year disappearing act from relevance in the NFL.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-03-2009, 07:53 PM
This isn't even hard imo. Patriots would have won the same number of Super-Bowls as the Steelers... but REACHING the 4th... the second hardest thing to do in football next to winning it again... PLUS having a perfect regular season... it's ALL Patriots. People who can't admit that are just hating the Patriots.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-03-2009, 07:55 PM
It's not even about this decade. The Steelers are a franchise that have never and will never do 10 year, 20 year, or 30 year disappearing act from relevance in the NFL.

Actually the question is all about this decade. And you can't make the rest as a claim unless you have some magic beans.

Raised On Riots
07-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Meh.

milkman
07-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Overall, I'd say the Steelers have done a better job of drafting, but they couldn't find the QB that put them over the top until they finally drafted Roethlisberger.

Because the Pats got lucky and fund their franchise QB in the 6th round earlier in the decade, they are the team of the decade.

alanm
07-03-2009, 10:27 PM
It's not even about this decade. The Steelers are a franchise that have never and will never do 10 year, 20 year, or 30 year disappearing act from relevance in the NFL.They were never on the map from their inception till they finally won a playoff game in 72. A span of 39 yrs.

DaWolf
07-03-2009, 10:27 PM
The Pats did beat the Steelers in a few of those playoff games as well, so that has to count towards something. You may also need to look at division championships, playoff appearances, and record in the decade to come to that conclusion.

Basically, Clark Hunt has the right idea in terms of wanting to model the Chiefs in the mold of the Steelers, and getting the personnel guy from the Pats to start that process. Now we have to hope it all takes shape. If the Steelers prove anything, it is that their success is due to how the organization is run, not necessarily the coach. Chin will surely coach again, but it'll be interesting to see if he has anywhere close to the same success in another organization, or if he goes the way of George Siefert after he left SF for Carolina...

Rain Man
07-03-2009, 10:58 PM
It's a pretty easy answer for me. Patriots. The Steelers have had good teams, but one of those Super Bowls was a total fluke (Seattle), and the Patriots have been dominating. The Steelers have been good, and they had the one 14-2 season if I remember right, but the Patriots have been juggernauts.

The other way to think about it is, which franchise are other teams most trying to emulate. Patriots all the way.

Amnorix
07-03-2009, 11:21 PM
I think Patriots (big surprise), mostly because it's been the Patriots that have produced the most memorable moments of the decade. It's been all about Brady-Manning, with Brady usually winning that exchange, the Snow Bowl, the near-Undefeated Season, Spygate (blech), 3 SBs in 4 years and 4 SB appearances with only a ridiculous "caught it against my helmet" stopping the Patriots from winning the 4th.

Steelers would have been the team of the decade, but the Patriots beat them twice, in their own house, to steal the prize.

Amnorix
07-03-2009, 11:22 PM
And, of course, none of this matters because the Patriots will win the SB this year to seal the deal.

;)

KCChiefsMan
07-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree with the consensus of the Patriots, winning 3 out of 4 Superbowls in 1 decade is mighty impressive. The Steelers have been great, just not quite as great as the Pats.

Rain Man
07-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe the Steelers were actually 15-1 that year. Anyone remember? I'm too lazy to look.

Raised On Riots
07-03-2009, 11:31 PM
They were never on the map from their inception till they finally won a playoff game in 72. A span of 39 yrs.

Alright then, let's start at the golden era of the NFL; the merging of the two leagues.

It could be argued, and reasonably so, that compared to NE, KC, GB, MN, and the NYJ, the Steelers have been the far more consistent franchise of this group.

The Pats did beat the Steelers in a few of those playoff games as well, so that has to count towards something. You may also need to look at division championships, playoff appearances, and record in the decade to come to that conclusion.

Basically, Clark Hunt has the right idea in terms of wanting to model the Chiefs in the mold of the Steelers, and getting the personnel guy from the Pats to start that process. Now we have to hope it all takes shape. If the Steelers prove anything, it is that their success is due to how the organization is run, not necessarily the coach. Chin will surely coach again, but it'll be interesting to see if he has anywhere close to the same success in another organization, or if he goes the way of George Siefert after he left SF for Carolina...

This, for the most part.

Pioli is on record saying that it's easier to get to the top than to stay there, but I can't help but wonder if he has the solo-mojo to accomplish the first part which he claims is the easiest.
I'm not holding him to anything this year, it would be ridiculous to do so. But the 2010 draft and season need to show a clear-cut direction and MAJOR improvement in terms of field production; barring further National economic meltdown( which hurts even the NFL ), the sense that something massive is beginning to take shape should be absolutely undeniable. That's why this guy makes the big bucks.

From the greatest NFL scholar to the lowliest moran, at the end of the 2010 season, the Chiefs are the name that needs to be on their lips.

That's my bench mark, and I'm sticking to it.

BossChief
07-04-2009, 04:29 AM
Well, I cant remember the Steelers being accused of cheating to win either of their superbowls.

I also hold great confidence in a team that has been built 99% through the draft and has continued success even losing huge amounts of key players and coaches to free agency.

but in the end, results speak for themselves and the Patriots have better results.

advantage Patriots

Guru
07-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Thats easy. The Patriots. The Steelers were/are good but they never struck the level of fear in other teams that the Patriots did/do.

Von Dumbass
07-04-2009, 05:02 AM
Pittsburgh will be the team of the decade in my book. The Patriots were involved in the biggest cheating scandal in professional sports history. The Steelers don't have any of these * next to their trophies.

LaChapelle
07-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Donavan McNabb just gets no respect.

Sully
07-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Pittsburgh will be the team of the decade in my book. The Patriots were involved in the biggest cheating scandal in professional sports history. The Steelers don't have any of these * next to their trophies.

Black Sox on line one...

Ebolapox
07-04-2009, 08:25 AM

broncos fans know all about cheating and where asterisks really should go, don't they?

irony, thy name is knowmo2724

:spock:

Sully
07-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Pete rose wants to talk.

Sully
07-04-2009, 08:30 AM

Mark McGwire, rafael palmeiro, and barry bonds (with some other friends) have a meeting set up with you at 1pm.

Von Dumbass
07-04-2009, 08:30 AM
broncos fans know all about cheating and where asterisks really should go, don't they?

irony, thy name is knowmo2724

:spock:

What the Broncos did was nothing compared to the Patriots. Tom Brady new EXACTLY what the defense was going to run before the ball was snapped.

Denver played the game fair. We had a good team, but it's not like Denver wasn't an 11.5 point underdog in SB 32. Denver's SB's don't have an asterisk beside them. Belicheat should get the Pete Rose treatment.

Von Dumbass
07-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Mark McGwire, rafael palmeiro, and barry bonds (with some other friends) have a meeting set up with you at 1pm.

I would bet that the NFL has more steroid use than baseball.

Sully
07-04-2009, 08:33 AM
I would bet that the NFL has more steroid use than baseball.

I don't know.
Bit saying what the Pats did was "the biggest cheating scandal" is the dumbest thing I've heard outside of DC in quote a while.

Von Dumbass
07-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't know.
Bit saying what the Pats did was "the biggest cheating scandal" is the dumbest thing I've heard outside of DC in quote a while.

So knowing exactly what the defense is going to run every play doesn't affect the outcome of the game?

RedNeckRaider
07-04-2009, 08:39 AM

You must have missed the Steelers vs Seahawks Superbowl

rad
07-04-2009, 08:43 AM
The 1950 NYU basketball team has invited you to join!

Von Dumbass
07-04-2009, 08:43 AM
You must have missed the Steelers vs Seahawks Superbowl

The officials were bad in that game, but I don't blame it on the Steelers.

rad
07-04-2009, 08:45 AM

KnowMo2724, Ed Hochuli has written on your wall!

RedNeckRaider
07-04-2009, 08:51 AM

Look I hate the Patriots but they owned this decade. I believe in my heart the NFL cashed in on the Red White and Blue money making Patriots. Had the scandal not blown up right before the game I believe they would have uhh...caught a break and had the perfect season. But when looking back they will get the nod. People who do not know me would have thought I was a Giants fan the way I cheered for them, and when the Patriots lost I was LMAO!

Sully
07-04-2009, 09:53 AM
So knowing exactly what the defense is going to run every play doesn't affect the outcome of the game?

Not nearly as much as those cheats Mentioned, as well as others.

Just Passin' By
07-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Spygate was a non-issue that was blown up by ESPN and a bunch of idiots who followed along, because a sanctimonious blowhard had taken over the Commissioner's office and was too inexperienced to deal with the issue properly. Jimmy Johnson laughed about it the filming, noted that he'd done it in the past, and pointed out that one of the best known 'cheaters' was Howard Mudd of the Colts. Herm Edwards was known to have waved to the camera, for crying out loud.

Teams videotape games all the time. Stealing signals is also not against the rules. The issue in "Spygate" was the location of the camera, and that was only because a new Commissioner decided to throw his weight around and penalize the Patriots for something they'd been doing out in the open for years. Yes, he'd sent a memo out, and yes, Belichick interpreted the rule differently than the Commissioner had intended, and yes Belichick should have called the Commissioner's office for clarification, but the outrage of the sheep was just ridiculous, and the idiot of a Commissioner's over-the-top response fueled the bitterness and jealousy of a lot of losing teams and fan bases and made an inconsequential issue seem as if it was the stealing of the Crown Jewels.

If you want to talk about getting an advantage, point to the team that violated the salary cap and got fined for doing it in both of their Super Bowl seasons. Cheat the salary cap: win the Super Bowl. Twice.

I wonder what team that was?