PDA

View Full Version : Political Free Zone

CASHMAN
10-20-2000, 07:52 AM
Do you think we could make this a Political Free Zone until the elections are over?

Let's talk football.

I know all of the moderators and admins are for Bush/Cheney and that's great. Just quit using the forum to push your views. I know - it's a free country and you guys don't *start* every political discussion, but it gets old.

Focus on football and leave all the other BS for the 'www.politicalplanet.com' site.

------------------
~Brad2K~

Kick his a$$, SeaBass!

Yosef_Malkovitch
10-20-2000, 07:57 AM
It's doubtful, Brad. And I wouldn't wish to enforce such a rule. We only have a few more weeks to deal with it.

htismaqe
10-20-2000, 08:00 AM
Mile High Mania,

Even though you have demonstrated incredibly poor taste in football teams http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif, you and your input are more than welcom on this BB.

When you, or anyone, posts a topic that is not of interest to you you are welcome to ignore it and post on other issues.

You are, for that matter, welcome to ask people to individually and unofficially refrain from posting topics about anything.

However, asking people to stop talking about the most significant and important community decision of the past forty years (when that decision point is only three weeks away) is at best, I believe, long odds.

Luz
participate and learn!!!...<BR>

darkchief
10-20-2000, 08:02 AM
Brad,

I guess the size of the candidates penises and what they do with them are more interesting than football.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Lurker Brett
10-20-2000, 08:04 AM
Lets' vote on it.

Lurker Brett
10-20-2000, 08:04 AM
Lets' vote on it.

CASHMAN
10-20-2000, 08:09 AM
Luz... believe me, I like your rants as I've said before, but any time someone (me) posts that they differ from your opinion or state that politics shouldn't be discussed here...

You're response has something to do with "maybe you just don't understand... or maybe you fail to recognize what is really going on ... read and learn..."

I'll admit that you have forgotten more about politics than I'll ever care to know. But, the pompous attitude is something that a lot of republicans share, IMO. It's not a good character trait and that's why I don't like sifting through all the political BS.

It's nothing personal and those are your views. I actually find some of the issue debates on the board somewhat informative and I'm not a diehard democrat, so I have learned a few things.

It's the tabloid BS that is tiresome...

shakesthecat
10-20-2000, 08:12 AM
I, for one, agree with Mile High, but more importantly agree with KPhobia, thank god, it is only 3 more weeks. What I can't agree with, is Luzaps comment, about participate and learn. Learn what? His views or someone elses, does he honestly believe he or anyone else will influence my vote. I hardly think so. Most of the political threads are just the same rhetoric, under different topic titles, and I have yet to see one statement in any of them, that would have one iota of information, that would have a direct bearing on my vote. That said, have fun carping about your favorite candidates, I will read, and often laugh at the humor of your debates, but will never participate.

DaKCMan AP
10-20-2000, 08:20 AM
Brad - Considering that is what cause the influx of people to this BB was the unaanounced censorship of political threads without a reason why, I doubt that they will delete the posts.

That being said, I think one of the reasons is that Gore causes the same feelings as Clinton, you either like him or you despise him with a passion. As with Clinton, there is not much of an imbetween area, and that causes pretty high emotions so the influx of threads.

I don't think that this BB should be about censorship, if people don't like a thread then don't read it. Pretty painless.

CASHMAN
10-20-2000, 08:23 AM
Morph ... I never asked for the deletion of ANY posts, nor would I ever do that.

It was more of just a simple plea...

Devin Vierth
10-20-2000, 08:41 AM
MHM:

I don't think the moderators start a lot of the political threads, they just respond to them. If you don't like the topic, don't read it. No one is forcing you to read it.

------------------
bk

htismaqe
10-20-2000, 08:44 AM
Mile High Mania,

Methinks your words have some merit.

It is never my intention to be 'pompous'. I have beliefs that I believe are very well thought out and, therefor, I am always willing to debate a point or an issue. I think you will seldom if ever find me resorting to an argument of 'well, the other side is just as bad' or, 'I don't care about the facts, that's just how I feel'.

Having fundamental beliefs brings a 'certainty' to a position.

That being said, I am still trying to master what is for me a new medium (internet BB) and I find that I do have trouble creating the right 'tone' in many instances.

(cont.)

htismaqe
10-20-2000, 08:44 AM
(cont.)
When I talk about paying attention and learning, I am talking about principals, not personalities. For example, I wasn't implying to you personally that you lacked in knowledge here and that you needed to 'participate and learn', but rather that this is my strategy ~ and I recommend it for everybody.

I don't post on this BB (about politics) to try and change your opinion so much as I do to force myself to hone MY views and increase my own learning and knowledge. I have learned more about different things political since I found this/other BB two years ago than I have through many years of reading non-interactive reports and journals.

So, although I am confident and in many cases irresolute in my beliefs, it is my sincere desire to exchange thoughts, ideas, and beliefs in an effective manner. I will not buckle, however, under an onslaught of unthoughtout emotions, opinions, or attacks (and I know to some this alone will cast me as arrogant in their eyes). Unfortunately, these types of tactics have become all to common and acceptable in the arena of public debate.

Luz
striving for clarity...<P>

CASHMAN
10-20-2000, 08:47 AM
No problem, Luz. Like I said, I like reading your stuff. You know what you're talking about.

BK - I'm fully aware that I don't have to read it.

Raiderhader
10-20-2000, 08:53 AM
While I will admit to enjoying the political debates, they hardly 'dominate' the BB.

A look at the front page as of this posting, shows 7 topics 'politics' related out of 28 topics. So, if you were to close your eyes and click a topic, you have a 75% chance of hitting a football topic.

I do know of a site that is a political free zone and talks 'football' only, well ok, it talks about Gannon and the Rams, but they are football related and any political topic is summarily deleted. If you want the URL, I will post it.

Warrior5
10-20-2000, 09:00 AM
bk

I'm with MHM on this one. I don't care that people choose to talk about non-football topics, and I don't read them. It's just sometimes there are political topics which get 100-200 responses and football topics which get fewer than 5. That's not anybody's fault.......it can be hard to find enough Chiefs news to keep so many people interested every day, but it can be disappointing to find the only topics generating responses are political ones.

[This message has been edited by Cormac (edited 10-20-2000).]

Ugly Duck
10-20-2000, 11:20 AM
I personally stay away from political threads because I am tired of all of the rhetoric. One side will say this about the other and the other will will defend and issue a counter accusation. It seems to be next to impossible to discern which side tells the truth, it just depends on who you ask. I am a registered Democrat and plan on voting for Gore simply because of the whole, "fundamental difference of opinion" thing. It is apparent to me that Gore has done some embellishing and I feel that Bush, while having the best intentions is a wolf in sheep's clothing. I haven't heard too many glowing reports out of Texas that makes me think he can make our country better than it is today. Like MHM I don't know a whole lot about politics, but I know what I believe in. Woops, there I go feeling and believing again!
I too am disappointed when I see so many political threads on a football board, but I remember that it was this very issue that this board was born from. I love this forum for discussing football, so I am more than willing to ignore topics I don't want to read as long as we continue to have this shining bastion on the cluttered information super-highway.

As far as football I read on the kcstar page that Gun would like to give the Mad dog more PT!

redbrian
10-20-2000, 11:28 AM
I personally don't get the fascination with Al Gore's penis, but who am I to judge? What a consenting adult does in the privacy of his/her home is none of my business...different "strokes" for different folks.

Coogs
10-20-2000, 11:32 AM
You are not alone, as you can see MileHigh.

The freedom to post political topics is the main point this site was created. I definitely agree with you and Cormac. Really doesn't matter if I ignore or not, the football threads can be easily neglected when a partisan pissing contest takes off. That's what annoys the hell out of me.

------------------
ct
Give TRich the Ball!!!

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 10-20-2000).]

redbrian
10-20-2000, 11:34 AM
Al gore would dominate a pissing contest. He'd have a 6" head start on all other contenders.

Yosef_Malkovitch
10-20-2000, 11:37 AM
I know Big Dick, Big Dick has been a friend of mine for the last 29 years. Al Gore is no Big Dick.

redbrian
10-20-2000, 11:40 AM
Really? You must've been "tight" with the Goremeister!!

Raiderhader
10-20-2000, 11:40 AM
Cory, Cormac, Brad: I implore you to post a thought provoking topic about Sunday's game. Something that would divert the attention of the fellow posters.

I havent found a post about this Sunday's game worth anything besides the 'pick your score' topic.

If you have one, I sure would like it, but to me, I get the feeling most feel like Sunday is not going to be a 'game' and it's a waste of time to discuss it.

crazy chiefs fan
10-20-2000, 12:52 PM
I'm not going to argue about this nonsense,I just hope Bush wins it! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

WarPaint
10-20-2000, 01:05 PM
Any other bulletin boards out there that aren't either: a) full of political topics, or b) full of Ram fans and trolls (sorry for being redundant)?

Frazod
10-20-2000, 01:32 PM
The reason I like this board is that anything that concerns Chiefs fans (or other fans) can be read or discussed here. That would include topics about politics or not liking politics or almost any topic. If I see a topic that I don't like, I just don't read it.

Dan

Go Chiefs!<BR>

AustinChief
10-20-2000, 01:35 PM
Maybe a Sex Free Zone? and a Rams Free Zone?<BR>

redshirt32
10-20-2000, 01:37 PM
"As far as football I read on the kcstar page that Gun would like to give the Mad dog more PT!"

WHOA!!!!!!!! Gunther got my e-mail when I said I was ready to take on the kicking position!!!!

All Right....put me in Coach, I'm ready to play!!!!

mmaddog
a little old, but I bet I can remember how to tackle correctly<P>

CASHMAN
10-20-2000, 02:05 PM
Wow ... lots of feedback. I didn't have my coffee when I posted this topic.

In a nutshell, I applaud the fact that anything can be discussed on this BB. However, some of the topics have turned into partisan pissing contests - as mentioned elsewhere.

I know that these topics don't dominate the BB and I'm not asking that they be removed.

It's just that there are only a few places that I can run to and expect to discuss football. The political stuff is just tiresome and the topics always appear near the top .

No big deal, really... I was just throwing something out there.

I still think the race is tight and I think it's a battle of 'Who will embarass the US less' type of competition here.

Anywho, have fun...