PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Autpmatic Garage Door Question

Manila-Chief
07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
We have an "Overhead" automatic garage door opener that was here when we purchased the house 3 years ago. It has a small black box on either side at the bottom. I think it has a laser or something that checks to see if everything is all clear before the door will operate. If there is an obstruction the red light on top on one side will blink ... if everything is clear the light stays on. Somehow today I managed to knock one end out of alignment. Now, I can't get it back into alignment. A few months ago it was out of alignment and I stuck something on one side that acted as a wedge and it worked fine. I've tried moving it a tad at a time, but can't get it working. Any words of wisdom for getting it aligned?

Skip Towne
07-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Call the man.

Phobia
07-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Align it in the morning when the sun isn't shining straight into the lense.

Hog Farmer
07-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Yeah! Or when you're not drunk!

Manila-Chief
07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Call the man.

Thats what I'm trying to avoid.

But, it's on the East side of the house. Sun is not the problem????

Phobia
07-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Thats what I'm trying to avoid.

But, it's on the East side of the house. Sun is not the problem????

Verify your sensor connections. You may have created a short. If the connections are fine and you can't get them aligned...

Call the man.

dtebbe
07-08-2009, 05:32 PM
If you have one of those cheap laser pointers, they work pretty good. Just lay the laser pointer on top of one side and then aim the dot just above the other side. I've had to do that a couple of times, works like a charm.

DT

Manila-Chief
07-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Verify your sensor connections. You may have created a short. If the connections are fine and you can't get them aligned...

Call the man.

Thanks! Maybe be what happened. I moved an axe and didn't realize I had hit it. I'll see if I can check it.

If you have one of those cheap laser pointers, they work pretty good. Just lay the laser pointer on top of one side and then aim the dot just above the other side. I've had to do that a couple of times, works like a charm.

DT

Good idea! Now why didn't I think of that!!!

Phobia
07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks! Maybe be what happened. I moved an axe and didn't realize I had hit it. I'll see if I can check it.

Good idea! Now why didn't I think of that!!!
Because it's incredibly difficult to get the laser pointer aligned with the actual sensor. Most the units I've seen are rounded but if you have one with a flat top it might be a feasible solution.

Baconeater
07-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Is it a Craftsman?

Manila-Chief
07-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Because it's incredibly difficult to get the laser pointer aligned with the actual sensor. Most the units I've seen are rounded but if you have one with a flat top it might be a feasible solution.

You are very wise! I just made the discovery. It is rectangle but has a casing which sticks up and no way to get an alignment.

I don't believe it was shorted out???

Seems to me that it is a simple alignment problem but I can't get it in alignment.

Looks like we get to spend money calling the man. Hopefully, he will have a way of getting it going.

Is it a Craftsman?

It's an "Overhead Door" unit.

Thanks guys! I tried. I even unplugged it and replugged it ... no help.

Skip Towne
07-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Watch him to see how he fixes it. Then maybe you can do it next time.

DaFace
07-08-2009, 06:45 PM
The sensor at our new place was out of whack when we moved in, and I was able to get it back working again using a string tied between the two sensors. There's one that is a "sender" and another that is a "receiver." If yours happens to be like mine, the light on the sender will be on all the time, and the light on the receiver will only be green if it's properly aligned and nothing's in the way. Get the sender pointed in the right direction first, then work on getting the other one aligned.

If your lights are off on both, I'd bet it's an electrical issue of some sort.

If you don't have any lights or something, then I have no idea. :p

Saggysack
07-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Disconnect it, all present and future problems solved.

Baconeater
07-08-2009, 06:51 PM
It's an "Overhead Door" unit.
Huh, not familiar with that brand. Some Craftsman models are notorious for the wires breaking where they go into the plug, so much so that Sears makes replacements that easily splice on to the existing wire. I suspect that your problem is something similar, but I have no idea if a replacement plug is available, you'll probably get hosed into buying a whole new sensor.

Baconeater
07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Disconnect it, all present and future problems solved.
Unless it's a really old model, it won't operate without the sensors connected.

Manila-Chief
07-08-2009, 07:10 PM
The sensor at our new place was out of whack when we moved in, and I was able to get it back working again using a string tied between the two sensors. There's one that is a "sender" and another that is a "receiver." If yours happens to be like mine, the light on the sender will be on all the time, and the light on the receiver will only be green if it's properly aligned and nothing's in the way. Get the sender pointed in the right direction first, then work on getting the other one aligned.

If your lights are off on both, I'd bet it's an electrical issue of some sort.

If you don't have any lights or something, then I have no idea. :p

Mine is similar, except the light is only on one side. It is red and blinks when out of alignment and stays lite when working properly.

Watch him to see how he fixes it. Then maybe you can do it next time.

Yeah, I always do that. :D Except when that fat guy tried to install my DTV. :(

Unless it's a really old model, it won't operate without the sensors connected.

I wouldn't want it operating without the safety feature.

I saw some universal sensors for sale ... about $77 each. Wonder if they would work? ... but, probably have a problem getting them aligned?

Baconeater
07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
M-C, it turns out your opener is manufactured by Genie, I'd bet dollars to donuts this will fix your problem IF yours has the plug-ins on the sensor:

http://www.geniedoor.com/products/infra-red-sensor-plug-in-cord.htm

Check yours and see if they look like this one.

Bwana
07-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I had that problem once. If I remember correctly, my solution involved a cutting torch and and a welder.

ChiefButthurt
07-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I had a similar problem. The red light flashed and no matter what I did I could not get the laser to align and the door would not close. It opened just fine if I manually closed the door.. I ended up buying a set of sensors from a opener dealer. I paid around 55.00 bucks for the five dollar items, got robbed. I installed just the red sensor and it's worked fine since. My opener is made by Genie.

Manila-Chief
07-08-2009, 09:08 PM
M-C, it turns out your opener is manufactured by Genie, I'd bet dollars to donuts this will fix your problem IF yours has the plug-ins on the sensor:

http://www.geniedoor.com/products/infra-red-sensor-plug-in-cord.htm

Check yours and see if they look like this one.

Thanks Bug! You helped solve the problem. No, mine is not like that ... but, as I was feeling around on the bottom I discovered a loose wire. I guess the axe knocked it off. When I hold it on the screw, the light stays on. I'll fix it tomorrow when I have more light.

Thanks to all of you guys. Saved me maybe a $100 bucks or more. So, this place is profitable as well as informative/entertaining.

PastorMikH
07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Nobody's suggested taking the two small boxes off, moving them to one side, and taping them together lense to lense with duct tape?

JOhn
07-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Nobody's suggested taking the two small boxes off, moving them to one side, and taping them together lense to lense with duct tape?

:doh!:

Damn, I forgot the basic redneck cure to all problems....Duct Tape

Baconeater
07-08-2009, 10:54 PM
He still would've had to re-attach the wire, plus he mentioned he was into the whole "safety" thing. :rolleyes:

I did do exactly that on one I installed for my brother, saved me about an hour of installation time. :thumb:

Baconeater
07-08-2009, 10:59 PM

http://i30.tinypic.com/3348dw3.jpg

JOhn
07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/3348dw3.jpg

:spock:

That is just wrong.

But then again, no Duct tape is even more wrong.:doh!:

Manila-Chief
07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Good idea P. Mike ... except I don't think the wires would not reach to each other.

I did discover I can open/close it by holding the button on the wall down until it opens/closes ... while the Highlander was inside, I was able to open it with the remote in the vehicle. But, I was looking at backing the vehicle outside, closing the garage door, going out the front door and locking it with a key. I was hoping when we arrived at home, it would have opened with the remote ... because of the safety issue of it opening up. Hopefully, reattaching the wires will solve the problem.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Maybe I can use it to reconnect the wire to the box. :D

JOhn
07-08-2009, 11:12 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/vergelimbo/ducttapebondage.jpg