PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV DirecTv makes it hard to not like them...

dtebbe
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Ok, so I've been a DirecTv customer (and Sunday Ticket subscriber) since 1996. I had decided this year that I would not renew Sunday Ticket, since they charge $99 extra for the "SuperFan" package which you have to buy to get the games in HD.

So I get an email a couple weeks ago, thanking me for being a long-time subscriber, and saying that it was my anniversary so they were giving me 3 month of free Showtime as an anniversary gift. Cool, I thought... Then towards the bottom there was a link to click if you had any complaints or compliments about DirecTv service.

I figured "what the hell" I'll complain about having to pay $99 extra to get Sunday Ticket in HD, and explain that I won't be renewing sunday ticket this year because of that. So I did just that.

My bill shows up this month, and Sunday Ticket early renewal is on there, along with free SuperFan.

It's hard to have a problem with that.....

DT

wutamess
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I got free Showtime for 3 months also.
I'm not renewing Sunday ticket because I'm starting to not see a need for it.
I watched the first half of the season but towards the end/second half of the season i found myself not watching as much football and actually having a family social life on what used to be "MY SUNDAY".

Unless I get it really cheap (got it free one year and really cheap last year), won't be getting it.

Gonzo
07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah?

But they don't broadcast in 1,000,080 dpi.

Deberg_1990
07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
but towards the end/second half of the season i found myself not watching as much football and actually having a family social life on what used to be "MY SUNDAY".

Thats probably because the Chiefs have been so bad the past few years.

I wont get the ticket again until the Chiefs are good.

donkhater
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Oh, I don't know. I've got a gripe.

One week before the NFL Draft, Direct TV cuts NFL Network off of my susbscription package. I call them up and they say that they have reorganized their packages (giggity) and NFL Network isn't on mine anymore since the one that I signed up for is ancient.

I explain to them that I pay a few hundred dollars a year for Sunday ticket and they claim that that only entitles me to NFL network during the season. This is all just before the Draft. I consider the NFL Network's coverage of the draft to be way better than ESPN's. So I'm pretty peeved. Of course they offer to upgrade my subcription (for about double what I pay now) I tell them to go F%$^ themselves, that their customer service sucks.

What do you know? Two weeks after the draft I have NFL Network again. Just out of the blue, well before the season starts. Go figure. I thought that was pretty despicable.

Frazod
07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from a consumer advocacy attorney as to whether or not I have a decent case to sue them. They've been charging me for deactivated receivers for years (only one of which showed up in the fine print of the bill) and have told me they'll only credit me for their obvious mistake going back two months (because I didn't notice their fuck-up before now, it's my fault).

With any luck this attorney (who has won a case for us in the past) will take the case and turn it into a class action. Eight years with these motherfuckers, all the problems I've had, all the times they'd randomly add shit to my account hoping I wouldn't notice, and I can't switch because of their unholy hold over Sunday Ticket.

What a horrible, horrible company.

rambleonthruthefog
07-09-2009, 01:44 PM
i'm still pissed cause they are the only cable company that carries "sunday ticket". on top of that they charge to much for it. for all of it. and i'd probably still pay it if they could offer an internet package, but they don't even offer internet. f them. i'll watch the games on the internet or at the bar.

Deberg_1990
07-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I can't switch because of their unholy hold over Sunday Ticket.

Wow....seek help man. I would have dumped them a long time ago if i had your history with them.

Its just football. You can always watch the free Bears games. :)

underEJ
07-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I bug them regularly about the limited subscription choices. More people need to ask for a la cart options. I want my locals plus the 5 or 6 regular cable channels I watch, plus 1 hbo, 1 showtime, all in hd for a reasonable price (well under 50 dollars.) I don't want the hundreds of channels I have to pay for to get the few I watch. If it wasn't for Sunday Ticket, I wouldn't be a customer, and they know that. I need to find a good sports bar and be rid of them.

kepp
07-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah?

But they don't broadcast in 1,000,080 dpi.

Looks like someone just leveled the playing field.

kepp
07-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from a consumer advocacy attorney as to whether or not I have a decent case to sue them. They've been charging me for deactivated receivers for years (only one of which showed up in the fine print of the bill) and have told me they'll only credit me for their obvious mistake going back two months (because I didn't notice their ****-up before now, it's my fault).

With any luck this attorney (who has won a case for us in the past) will take the case and turn it into a class action. Eight years with these mother****ers, all the problems I've had, all the times they'd randomly add shit to my account hoping I wouldn't notice, and I can't switch because of their unholy hold over Sunday Ticket.

We had them for a long time (probably 6 years) a while back. They were fantastic the first few years, but then we noticed the customer service and billing going downhill fast. We ended up switching to Dish Network. They've been great so far as well, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them go down the same path.

BigMeatballDave
07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
To me, Directv are like crack dealers. Only the 'crack' is football. They know most people have their service because of Sunday ticket. I wish I could just have a hand full of channels plus network programming and the ticket. Bastards!

Frazod
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
We had them for a long time (probably 6 years) a while back. They were fantastic the first few years, but then we noticed the customer service and billing going downhill fast. We ended up switching to Dish Network. They've been great so far as well, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them go down the same path.

I find it impossible to believe that not removing those receivers from my account was an oversight (basically, I was still getting charged for old units after upgrading to DVRs). I was on the phone with a DTV customer service rep during the entire process - he knew I was upgrading and also knew I only had three active TVs. Was it really necessary for me to tell the guy, "Now make sure you don't bill me for the old units I'll never use again"? Was the guy an idiot? The only options are (1) idiot, or (2) thief. And IMO this sort of thing has happened too often for option 1 to be the answer. I think these people are operating according to company policy, and goddamn, I'd sure love it if my lawyer ended up being the guy to shove it up their greedy asses.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I figured "what the hell" I'll complain about having to pay $99 extra to get Sunday Ticket in HD, and explain that I won't be renewing sunday ticket this year because of that. So I did just that.

My bill shows up this month, and Sunday Ticket early renewal is on there, along with free SuperFan.

It's hard to have a problem with that.....

This has nothing to do with DirecTV and everything to do with "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", which is something I absolutely hate about consumerism in America. EVERY company does this sh*t and it pisses me off. It's the equivalent of buying off your silence. Do you have a problem, real or imagined? Just complain, and the first thing they'll do is throw something free at you and hope you go away. So if a company f**ks their customers with a fee, 1% complain and 1% get that fee taken off, and the other 99% who don't complain get screwed. Not to mention it undermines employee morale; no matter where you work, "the customer is always right" and, even if you've followed procedures to the letter and/or the person is OUTRIGHT LYING to your supervisor about what happened, it's easier for them to give the griper free shit and shake their finger angrily at the employee instead. Now Americans EXPECT that they'll get something for free if they complain... so they complain, even if they have no right to complain. Meanwhile, if there WAS an actual issue, they rarely attempt to resolve it; they don't really care one way or another, they just don't want you going up the food chain to THEIR boss and getting THEM in trouble with more complaining.

The Bad Guy
07-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from a consumer advocacy attorney as to whether or not I have a decent case to sue them. They've been charging me for deactivated receivers for years (only one of which showed up in the fine print of the bill) and have told me they'll only credit me for their obvious mistake going back two months (because I didn't notice their ****-up before now, it's my fault).

With any luck this attorney (who has won a case for us in the past) will take the case and turn it into a class action. Eight years with these mother****ers, all the problems I've had, all the times they'd randomly add shit to my account hoping I wouldn't notice, and I can't switch because of their unholy hold over Sunday Ticket.

I'm not trying to break balls here, but how in the hell can they charge you for an extra receiver you're not using and you not know about it? The amount of receivers are clearly stated on the bill and what the charge it.

I have never had one complaint with DirecTV. They have really taken care of me for the 10 years I have had them. No complaints what so ever.

BWillie
07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I still wish I had Time Warner instead of Comcast. Never had DirectTV, but Dish Network sucked worse than all of them put together.

Frazod
07-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm not trying to break balls here, but how in the hell can they charge you for an extra receiver you're not using and you not know about it? The amount of receivers are clearly stated on the bill and what the charge it.

I have never had one complaint with DirecTV. They have really taken care of me for the 10 years I have had them. No complaints what so ever.

One of them was on the bill; one of them wasn't. I also pay the bill automatically each month (something I'm not going to do anymore), so I normally don't even look at it. So yes, I guess I am at least partially at fault for not pouring over the fucking statement line by line to ensure that they aren't trying to screw me every month, but SHOULD THAT REALLY BE NECESSARY? Do you really believe it should be? I mean, apparently it is necessary because this company is so awful, but it shouldn't be.

If I'm reviewing a contract, or my boss is, and one of us misses something important that costs the client money or puts him at a disadvantage, and the client doesn't catch it for several months, we take responsibility for that mistake and correct it. We don't blame the client for our mistake, or charge him extra to fix it. When did that stop becoming the norm? I don't know what you do for a living, but are you able to shove your mistakes off on others as a matter of course?

When we as a people have become so accustomed to bad service that we feel we should be responsible for not getting screwed BY THE PEOPLE WHOSE SALARIES WE PAY, something is really, really wrong.

BigMeatballDave
07-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I still wish I had Time Warner instead of Comcast. Never had DirectTV, but Dish Network sucked worse than all of them put together.If DISH had Sunday ticket, I'd be a customer.

KCChiefsMan
07-09-2009, 05:36 PM
FUCK that business. Their marketing strategy makes me want to travel to India and f*ck some shit up. I had to get rid of my lan line because of them, they would not stop calling no matter how pissed off I got with the guy, I put my number on the no call list and still over a dozen phone calls per day ranging from 7am - 10pm. It drove me insane, I couldn't just unplug my phone because I was expecting job related calls. Would never do business with that company ever.

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from a consumer advocacy attorney as to whether or not I have a decent case to sue them. They've been charging me for deactivated receivers for years (only one of which showed up in the fine print of the bill) and have told me they'll only credit me for their obvious mistake going back two months (because I didn't notice their fuck-up before now, it's my fault).

With any luck this attorney (who has won a case for us in the past) will take the case and turn it into a class action. Eight years with these motherfuckers, all the problems I've had, all the times they'd randomly add shit to my account hoping I wouldn't notice, and I can't switch because of their unholy hold over Sunday Ticket.

What a horrible, horrible company.I want in on this. There is nothing they seem to love more than randomly making shit up, and whenever you call them, it stays fixed for maybe a month before it starts happening again. It's liberating to have finally dropped them.

Frosty
07-09-2009, 07:15 PM
I have been with DirecTV for about 12 years and have never had an issue with them. My only problem with them is they are getting expensive. Our monthly bill is $63 a month with one DVR and no premium or sports channels. We are thinking of dropping to the minimum package except during football season.

I am pissed at Dish at the moment. I was visiting my grandpa last weekend. He had just upgraded to HD and had paid $80 for the installer to come out and put in the new dish and receiver and hook it all up to his new LCD HD TV. He was showing it to me and talking about how disappointed he was in HD and it didn't look any better than regular TV.

I looked at how they installed it and they had used a regular video cable (the red, white and yellow kind) between the receiver and TV. It says right in the manual that you won't get HDTV if you don't use an HDMI or component cable. I had to run into Wal-Mart and get an HDMI cable (for $30) to get it all to work right. He was a little more impressed then. :)

I think it was preying on the elderly, pure and simple.

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
It's really amazing how many people have probably had that happen to them.

An HDTV being hooked up with composite cables, ugggh, it hurts to even think of it.

Frosty
07-09-2009, 07:50 PM
It's really amazing how many people have probably had that happen to them.

An HDTV being hooked up with composite cables, ugggh, it hurts to even think of it.

I remember Skip saying that he didn't think HD was any better than SD. Makes ya think, doesn't it? :)

BWillie
07-09-2009, 08:33 PM
I have been with DirecTV for about 12 years and have never had an issue with them. My only problem with them is they are getting expensive. Our monthly bill is $63 a month with one DVR and no premium or sports channels. We are thinking of dropping to the minimum package except during football season.

I am pissed at Dish at the moment. I was visiting my grandpa last weekend. He had just upgraded to HD and had paid $80 for the installer to come out and put in the new dish and receiver and hook it all up to his new LCD HD TV. He was showing it to me and talking about how disappointed he was in HD and it didn't look any better than regular TV.

I looked at how they installed it and they had used a regular video cable (the red, white and yellow kind) between the receiver and TV. It says right in the manual that you won't get HDTV if you don't use an HDMI or component cable. I had to run into Wal-Mart and get an HDMI cable (for $30) to get it all to work right. He was a little more impressed then. :)

$63 is expensive??? Shit. I have Comcast, 2 HD boxes and one DVR and no premium channels and it's $145. It's 21 dollars for each additional HD DVR I want. I mean that is just ridiculous. I wish Comcast and Time Warner would stop their stupid KC agreement and compete against each other. How is that not creating a monopoly?

JD10367
07-09-2009, 09:14 PM

This goes on ALL THE TIME in Florida. It pisses me the f**k off. Either the workers down there know they can pull a fast one on the old people, or they simply don't give a shit enough to do their jobs so they outright lie to them. My elderly parents bought a humongous HDTV, and paid to have the store hook it up. The asswipe comes out, and literally tells my father, "No, you won't be able to hook your TiVo up to this TV". Friggin' pudknocker, he just didn't want to do it or think about it. I literally had to fly to Florida for the weekend to hook up his TiVo, DVD player, and VCR to the TV for him.

If you want to live in Florida, you could easily move there and start a company whose sole job is to go to old peoples' houses and help them hook up their TVs and computers. The poor old bastards are clueless, and would happily pay you $50 an hour to do it right for them and not screw them like everyone else does. (Yeah, that's kinda screwing them too... but with better intentions, LOL.)

ArrowheadHawk
07-09-2009, 09:16 PM

I think it was preying on the elderly, pure and simple.You can use the composite cables to get hd you just have to plug them into the the red/blue/green(component) spots and use another cable for the audio.

Frosty
07-09-2009, 09:20 PM
$63 is expensive???

For what we get, it is. SD, no movie channels and no sport channels, except for what comes with the basic package.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 09:21 PM
You can use the composite cables to get hd you just have to plug them into the the red/blue/green(component) spots and use another cable for the audio.

Yes, but the quality via Composite isn't as good as via HDMI. But, you're right, it's a hell of a lot better than Component a/k/a "RCA" cables.

BigMeatballDave
07-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, but the quality via Composite isn't as good as via HDMI. But, you're right, it's a hell of a lot better than Component a/k/a "RCA" cables. Component cables are the red/green/blue. Composite video is yellow.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 09:24 PM
For what we get, it is. SD, no movie channels and no sport channels, except for what comes with the basic package.

Yeah, that seems a little pricier than basic cable.

I pay Cox Communications around $133 a month, but that gets me regular cable on any TV I want, digital cable via a two-tuner HD DVR, all the music and other channels that go with it (couple of hundred channels), HD channels at no extra cost, plus high-speed cable modem for Internet as well as digital telephone. It's not a bargain, but since it's phone+computer+TV I guess it's okay.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Component cables are the red/green/blue. Composite video is yellow.

That's what I meant. I always mix them up. Point being, HDMI > RGB > Yellow (in the Red/White/Yellow trio).

dtebbe
07-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I remember Skip saying that he didn't think HD was any better than SD. Makes ya think, doesn't it? :)

LOL! I remember that thread....

DT

BigMeatballDave
07-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I remember Skip saying that he didn't think HD was any better than SD. Makes ya think, doesn't it? :)Yeah, that was funny. Its just cuz hes old. My parents can't see the difference either.

Frosty
07-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah, that was funny. Its just cuz hes old. My parents can't see the difference either.

You might want to check their cables.

Skip Towne
07-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I think it only helps the 40" and above. Below that, no difference.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a relatively small (32") 720p HDTV, and even with that I can easily see the difference. I have a "tube" set right next to it as well so we can watch two channels at the same time, and sometimes I'll tune them both to the same channel and sync them up (one has an HD DVR and the other has TiVo, so I pause until I get them in sync) just to see the difference. It's amazing how we get used to looking at regular TV and have no idea what we're really missing. It's akin to the difference between regular 35mm movies and IMAX.

BigMeatballDave
07-09-2009, 10:03 PM
You might want to check their cables.Its not that. They are just too old. They are in their late 60s. Not that all old people cannot see the difference, its just that they can't.

BigMeatballDave
07-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I think it only helps the 40" and above. Below that, no difference.Yeah, still not true. I had a 32" CRT in my bedroom 2 yrs ago and a 32" Visio LCD in my livingroom. There was still a big difference to me.

BigMeatballDave
07-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I have a relatively small (32") 720p HDTV, and even with that I can easily see the difference. I have a "tube" set right next to it as well so we can watch two channels at the same time, and sometimes I'll tune them both to the same channel and sync them up (one has an HD DVR and the other has TiVo, so I pause until I get them in sync) just to see the difference. It's amazing how we get used to looking at regular TV and have no idea what we're really missing. It's akin to the difference between regular 35mm movies and IMAX.A better analogy for those who have not seen an Imax movie, would be VHS to DVD.

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I think it only helps the 40" and above. Below that, no difference.lol no

The difference is staggering, whether it's 20" or 80".

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I have a relatively small (32") 720p HDTV, and even with that I can easily see the difference. I have a "tube" set right next to it as well so we can watch two channels at the same time, and sometimes I'll tune them both to the same channel and sync them up (one has an HD DVR and the other has TiVo, so I pause until I get them in sync) just to see the difference. It's amazing how we get used to looking at regular TV and have no idea what we're really missing. It's akin to the difference between regular 35mm movies and IMAX.When I cancelled DirecTV, I was without HD for almost a month.

So after I got everything back in order, I stopped while watching a freakin' Castle rerun and marveled at how gorgeous it was.

ArrowheadHawk
07-09-2009, 10:57 PM
When I cancelled DirecTV, I was without HD for almost a month.

So after I got everything back in order, I stopped while watching a freakin' Castle rerun and marveled at how gorgeous it was.

HD is quite awesome. Imagine what TV will look like in 10 years.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 11:02 PM
When I cancelled DirecTV, I was without HD for almost a month.

Yeah, Nathan Fillion's not bad looking for a guy, I guess.... to each their own... oh, wait, not what you meant, LOL...

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah, Nathan Fillion's not bad looking for a guy, I guess.... to each their own... oh, wait, not what you meant, LOL...http://j.photos.cx/naked-mal-nathan-fillion-260851_500_281-e48.jpg

BWillie
07-10-2009, 02:17 AM
I knew Skip was old, but I didn't know he was blind too

beach tribe
07-10-2009, 07:44 AM
I bartend at a sports bar on Sundays. They have the ticket. I don't need it.

ChiefGator
07-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Hey.. I have a question. I am thinking about getting DirectTV again, for NFL Sunday Ticket of course. I had it like eight years ago. Do you still need a land-line phone to plug into the satellite receiver? Because I ain't got one.

There is actually something here in Gainesville like a partnership between BellSouth and DirectTV that gives you DSL and DirectTV rather cheap.

Scorp
07-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Hey.. I have a question. I am thinking about getting DirectTV again, for NFL Sunday Ticket of course. I had it like eight years ago. Do you still need a land-line phone to plug into the satellite receiver? Because I ain't got one.

No, you don't need it.

ChiefGator
07-10-2009, 08:42 AM
No, you don't need it.

Thanks..

OnTheWarpath58
07-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Anyone had any luck with getting any discounts on ST this year?

I know that in the past people have threatened to cancel, and been given SF free, or things like that. The cost is just outweighing the benefit right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dayze
07-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I’ve never had a problem with them; aside from a month or two of billing issues after I didn’t renew Sunday ticket etc.
I told them I was tired of them raising the price each year etc.
Plus, when I first got ST, I had a regular TV/regular receiver etc. The first year I got my 50” LCD and HD etc…I couldn’t believe how bad the other games looked. Primarily due to my receiver I suppose. I call to ask etc..and the quickly offered HD for superfan for $100….I laughed, and just sucked it up the rest of the season.

Haven’t renewed since; that was 3 years ago. Oh well.
I would pay $225 max for the entire thing in HD; not $250 (or whatever it is) + $100 for HD.

They called the year after and tried to get me to buy it again; I had a conversation with them simply saying it wasn’t worth it. Especially now with all the SNF/MNF/Thursday night; flex scheduling etf.

But, we got a letter a month ago saying basically ‘thanks for being a customer for 7 years; enjoy Showtime and Starz etc on us for 1 year”. That was cool. Although, I’m glad I don’t pay for showtime etc…there isn’t sh(t on those channels (for the most part)

Long Duk Dong
07-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Been thinking of switching over to DirectTV here. It would actually be cheaper for me to go with DirectTV than cable by about $25 a month.

Savings alone is worth changing.

Anyone have any really bad experiences with them?

So right now, I can get a deal that, for 12 months, I would pay around $50/month for the package, which is like 150 channels and HD service.

After the 12 months is over, then it is up to $55/month.
Do the prices go open often?
There website touts that cable prices increase all the time, where as DirectTV does not. Anybody want to comment on that?

Thanks.

Dayze
07-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Been thinking of switching over to DirectTV here. It would actually be cheaper for me to go with DirectTV than cable by about $25 a month.

So right now, I can get a deal that, for 12 months, I would pay around $50/month for the package, which is like 150 channels and HD service.

There website touts that cable prices increase all the time, where as DirectTV does not. Anybody want to comment on that?

Thanks.

I haven’t seen my standard programming go ‘up’ for a while I don’t think. My bill has been $75/mo for like 4 years.

They have, however, raised the price of Sunday Ticket each year since 2004 I believe.
I could swear I remember paying like $200 in 2004. And now its something crazy like $250?

I’ve never had issue with them.
I briefly switched to Time Warner 7 y ears ago and dumped them within 5 months and went back to DTV. TWC Suuuu*******ed

HC_Chief
07-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks.

They definitely have the best channel lineup for the price. Only issues are when there are heavy thunderstorms... your signal willscramble and even stop completely until the storm subsides.

doomy3
07-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Anyone had any luck with getting any discounts on ST this year?

I know that in the past people have threatened to cancel, and been given SF free, or things like that. The cost is just outweighing the benefit right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Did you read the thread starter? That's what this thread is all about to begin with.

Frazod
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks.

The service itself is fine. It was rough going through the infancy of HD, but they have their shit together now.

However (as you will see from my earlier posts) you must assume that they're out to screw you. If you upgrade equipment, don't assume they'll cancel charges for the old stuff just because not doing so would be retarded; tell them to cancel it and call back and check on it a couple of times and then check your bill carefully. Check your bill carefully anyway. They can also occasionally add packages to your service and then claim later it was a mistake. Check that. I used to have the HBO/Cinemax/Starz package and cancelled Cinemax and Starz - it took several months to actually accomplish this. The channels would no longer be available, and then one day I'd check the channel and it would be on again (and of course I'd be getting charged for it again).

And I'm pretty sure that every time they tell me I'm a valued customer they really mean that they hope I die a slow, painful death. And I know for a fact that "I'm sorry, sir" means "FUCK YOU."

Just be careful. They are NOT your friends. Nor will they ever be.

BigMeatballDave
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
I bartend at a sports bar on Sundays. They have the ticket. I don't need it.That is nowhere near the same as sitting at home and watching it.

BigMeatballDave
07-10-2009, 10:15 AM

There is actually something here in Gainesville like a partnership between BellSouth and DirectTV that gives you DSL and DirectTV rather cheap.Nope. I have a DVR and I didn't need a phone line connected. I have a landline in my apartment and he never hooked it up or said a word about it.

Shag
07-10-2009, 10:16 AM
They have, however, raised the price of Sunday Ticket each year since 2004 I believe.
I could swear I remember paying like $200 in 2004. And now its something crazy like $250?

I've had ST since '98, and I'm pretty sure it's gone up every year. It was $160 when I first got it, and I believe it's $299 now. $99 more if you want SuperFan.

Granted, I've not paid full price for it in quite a long time, but it's ridiculously priced and getting worse every year...

philfree
07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm getting my free upgrade on Monday. Free for like seven T.V.s and a new dish. Right now I have a two dish set up. There also gonna put it on the roof of the house insteadd ofthe fence. Should be much better. Hopefully I'll get some free movie channels for the next 3 months too.

PhilFree:arrow:

Dayze
07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I've had ST since '98, and I'm pretty sure it's gone up every year. It was $160 when I first got it, and I believe it's $299 now. $99 more if you want SuperFan.

Granted, I've not paid full price for it in quite a long time, but it's ridiculously priced and getting worse every year...

so my memory is roughly in tact.:thumb:

I remember the first year I got it; I had convinced the wife to get on board; and the $200 was a little bit of a stretch. But we made it work and enjoyed it. Following year it went to like $225 or something. “OK” I said etc and got it again. The 3rd and final year I think I paid $249 but got it lowered back to 225. This was the first year I had my HD and HD Receiver; those other games were awful. That’s when I found out that “HD” was included in the SF package. I thought SF was for stats, and other in-screen stuff. but, obviously, the bundled it so you’d have to over pay for HD.

…and that was the end of my ST experience. Bummer. I really liked it; but not enough to shell out $400 for the whole deal. That’s $25/wk for ‘extra’ game. F that.:banghead:

donkhater
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Am I the only one not blown away by HD? I see the difference and all, but I just don't find in imperative to have at the higher prices. It's nice, but I don't see it as 'gotta have' like some of you seem to.

Dayze
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Am I the only one not blown away by HD? I see the difference and all, but I just don't find in imperative to have at the higher prices. It's nice, but I don't see it as 'gotta have' like some of you seem to.

I think there is a huge difference.
HD on a 720p or 1080i TV (especially one with 120gHz) is amazing (assuming all connections are good/HDMI etc).

However, I do not understand why DTV charges $100 for HD; especially since I already pay $120 annually for HD service. Why make HD a part of the Superfan package? Why not just include this in the price of the ticket.

Those question were rhetorical etc; I know the answer: $$$.
Charge what the market with bear.

It’s just Flustrating.

BigMeatballDave
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Am I the only one not blown away by HD? I see the difference and all, but I just don't find in imperative to have at the higher prices. It's nice, but I don't see it as 'gotta have' like some of you seem to.I'm an HD snob. Its difficult for me to watch some shows unless its in HD.

Brock
07-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Once I got used to watching HD, it kind of sucks to have to watch non-HD, particularly football games.

BigMeatballDave
07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
However, I do not understand why DTV charges $100 for HD; especially since I already pay $120 annually for HD service.
This is what infuriates me. Fucking swindlers.

Frazod
07-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Once I got used to watching HD, it kind of sucks to have to watch non-HD, particularly football games.

For movies and sports, you can't beat it.

I have a 46" 1080p HDTV in the den, a 32" 720i HDTV in the bedroom and an old 36" tube TV in the living room. There is nothing wrong the old TV and the screen is certainly big enough, but there's no comparison between it and either of the other TVs. I don't even have a DVD player hooked up to the old one anymore.

BWillie
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
My neighborhood now has AT&T Uverse. Anybody have any experiences w/ them? Any good?

JD10367
07-10-2009, 11:11 AM

HD is like having a parter who's great at sex and loves it: you don't really know what you're missing, until you see the other side constantly, LOL.

Since we have two TVs side-by-side, we'll watch a lot of prime-time stuff on TiVo on the tube set, while on the HD we'll have the sound down and the closed-captioning on and it'll just be tuned to some randomly beautiful cable channel, like Animal Planet, Discovery, Travel, Learning, History, Food Network, etc.,., so we can look over and see some beautiful scenery or wildlife or delicious-looking food plate being cooked. (Food Network in HD is like soft porn.)

HD looks like you're there. Analog looks like shit when compared side-by-side. Now, when I watch sports on the regular TV, I can barely read the score or player info it's so blurry by comparison.

Of course, I'm not paying extra for HD, it's included with the high-tier price for my digital cable. If I had to pay extra for HD, I might enjoy it less...

Frosty
07-10-2009, 11:11 AM

I don't have HD but I noticed while watching Grandpa's TV (after getting it working) that it is much easier on my eyes. I don't need my glasses to see it clearly like I do on my tube TV at home. This was on a little 32" LCD, too.

Dayze
07-10-2009, 11:14 AM
This is what infuriates me. Fucking swindlers.

Yep.

I mean, the ‘know’ people will want it in HD; so they bundle it with SF.
There are people, like me, who simply want HD and not SF. Sure, SF would be cool, but I don’t need it.

I wish they’d give you an option for only HD; ok, sure – you want to charge me for HD (Even though I’m already paying for it)? Fine. Just don’t – essentially- charge me $100 for it.

Make a separate line item for HD; say…$20?

I sent them a very cordial email today; basically saying I haven’t subscribed in 3 years because of price; I would be willing to subscribe again if they will be willing to work on their price.

They’ll probably laugh in my face, but worth a shot.
:shrug:

BigMeatballDave
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Of course, I'm not paying extra for HD, it's included with the high-tier price for my digital cable. If I had to pay extra for HD, I might enjoy it less...To me, HD on Directv or Dish looks better than cable.

Dayze
07-10-2009, 11:19 AM
To me, HD on Directv or Dish looks better cable.

This.

My Father-in-law has Cable HD and consistently comments that he ‘thinks’ my rear projection LCD looks better with DTV than his plasma with cable HD.

Granted, it would be hard to compare the two w/out them being side-by-side. But, I’ve noticed when watching things on his TV they ok…but not great.

Maybe it’s a mind thing.

JD10367
07-10-2009, 11:20 AM
To me, HD on Directv or Dish looks better than cable.

I've never seen DirecTV or Dish in HD, but I would think it also depends on your cable provider (clarity and strength of signal). The advantage to satellite, of course, is that you can get it in the middle of nowhere, but with cable you don't get outages in bad weather. Not sure if bad weather affects satellite's HD clarity...

JD10367
07-10-2009, 11:22 AM
This.

My Father-in-law has Cable HD and consistently comments that he ‘thinks’ my rear projection LCD looks better with DTV than his plasma with cable HD.

Granted, it would be hard to compare the two w/out them being side-by-side. But, I’ve noticed when watching things on his TV they ok…but not great.

Maybe it’s a mind thing.

Well, there are so many variables. My parents in FL have Comcast, and they have a $2,000 1080p LCD huge-incher (50"? 60"?) by LG. And, frankly, I think their picture looks crappier than my 32" 720p. So maybe Comcast has a shittier digital HD signal than Cox, I dunno... or maybe my parents have their TV set up differently in terms of contrast and color and whatnot.

Dayze
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I've never seen DirecTV or Dish in HD, but I would think it also depends on your cable provider (clarity and strength of signal). The advantage to satellite, of course, is that you can get it in the middle of nowhere, but with cable you don't get outages in bad weather. Not sure if bad weather affects satellite's HD clarity...

With our DTV, the clarity isn’t really effected. It pretty much works in a storm……then doesn’t if it gets bad. But it usually has to be pretty bad out.

It’ll be working fine/clear etc…it’ll pixelate for a few seconds; then it’s black screen until the signal returns

My father in law always says “I’d get satellite but I don’t want to lose the picture when it rains”. I keep telling him, the picture is fine in rain etc; it only goes out when it’s REALLY bad.

I bet in the last 5 years, our TVs have gone dark in weather, maybe like 15 times or so? Not bad.

BigMeatballDave
07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I've never seen DirecTV or Dish in HD, but I would think it also depends on your cable provider (clarity and strength of signal). The advantage to satellite, of course, is that you can get it in the middle of nowhere, but with cable you don't get outages in bad weather. Not sure if bad weather affects satellite's HD clarity...My parents have cable on a 32" LCD and I have a friend that has DISH on a 42" plasma. I have a 50" plasma. My parents HD on their cable looks like shit compared to mine or my friends. The other advantage to sattlite is the signal is coming directly to your home from space. With cable, it must travel thru miles of cable. You're gonna have some loss there.

BigMeatballDave
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
I've never seen DirecTV or Dish in HD, but I would think it also depends on your cable provider (clarity and strength of signal). The advantage to satellite, of course, is that you can get it in the middle of nowhere, but with cable you don't get outages in bad weather. Not sure if bad weather affects satellite's HD clarity...Heavy rain and lightening it fades. All channels just go black, the quality doesn't degrade. Its only out until the storm passes. It doesn't go out during a shower.

Skip Towne
07-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Some people's signal does go out during showers. It is all a function of how well the dish is aimed. You should have at least a 90 signal level in clear weather.

Manila-Chief
07-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I've not had any problems in my 3 years with them ... plus, got great advice from Skip!!!

I just checked and ST is $279.99 this year. Ouch!!! If Carl/Herm had not been fired, I would have cancelled ST. Don't tell my wife but I didn't even bother to watch many of the last half of the season games last year. I believe we will see progress this year, so I'll keep it for now, because I can't see Chief games without it. I have to DVR them since I'm out lots of Sundays.

OnTheWarpath58
07-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Did you read the thread starter? That's what this thread is all about to begin with.

I did read the starter, specifically the part where he received an e-mail with a link to complain.

I'm asking if anyone who DIDN'T get that e-mail has had any luck by calling and complaining, or if any other tactics have worked in their favor.