PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Bad news for bacon

orange
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
A new study by researchers at Rhode Island Hospital have found a substantial link between increased levels of nitrates in our environment and food, with increased deaths from diseases, including Alzheimer's, diabetes mellitus and Parkinson's. The study was published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease (Volume 17:3 July 2009).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/156507.php

Damn! :crybaby:

... um, what was I saying?

L.A. Chieffan
07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
bacon tastes goooood....pork chops taste gooood

tooge
07-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Holy shit! I always thought that stuff was good for ya.

Fish
Ohhh we're fucked now....

They are found in many food products, including fried bacon, cured meats and cheese products as well as beer and water. Exposure also occurs through manufacturing and processing of rubber and latex products,

Fat Elvis
I choose to believe that bacon kicks nitrates ass and is in fact very healthy if eaten in large quantities.

Demonpenz
sometimes i talk to my bacon. I'm feeling moopy today bacon

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Don't fuck with the candy bar of meats.

orange
07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Crossposted: Every bacon thread needs one of these:

http://www.whiterabbitcult.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/stonehenge.jpg

Phobia
07-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Hmmmm.

Ignore this thread

PunkinDrublic
07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about dancing being prohibited. Oh I love a good footloose reference!

Lumpy
07-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Whew! At first I thought something bad happened to Kevin Bacon.

FishingRod
07-09-2009, 01:45 PM
bacon tastes goooood....pork chops taste gooood

Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?

Phobia
07-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Whew! At first I thought something bad happened to Kevin Bacon.

No kidding. Most of us would be about 4 degrees from being really upset about that.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Funny, my wife works right next to Rhode Island Hospital.

It's a good hospital, but this is sort of Captain Obvious. Hey, you know what else I heard? Drinking soda is bad for you. So is eating bags of Doritos all the time. :shrug:

It's not, in fact, the bacon... it's what they DO to the bacon.

PunkinDrublic
07-09-2009, 01:54 PM
No kidding. Most of us would be about 4 degrees from being really upset about that.

Hard to have pity for a guy who's had a threesome with Neve Campbell and Denise Richards on film in his lifetime.

tomahawk kid
07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
There's a local farm in Kidder, MO that makes nitrate free bacon and sells it in the City Market every Saturday morning.

It's really good. Don't let fear of Alzheimer's stop you from clogging your arteries.......

alpha_omega
07-09-2009, 02:02 PM
MMMMMMM, a bacon and egg sammich sounds pretty good about now!

Saulbadguy
07-09-2009, 02:08 PM
You can buy nitrate/nitrite free Bacon...doesn't taste any different.

tooge
07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I'd all of it. That's for sure.

orange
07-09-2009, 02:11 PM

What's the shelf life?

Saulbadguy
07-09-2009, 02:14 PM
What's the shelf life?

How long does bacon last on your shelf?

Skip Towne
07-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I just had to go cook up some bacon. mmmm-good

BigRichard
07-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I would the whole thing too.

orange
07-09-2009, 02:22 PM
What's the shelf life?

How long does bacon last on your shelf?

Yeah, yeah. I'm talking about my refrigerator shelf.

Are you being a wise guy, or are you saying there's really no difference?

Saulbadguy
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Yeah, yeah. I'm talking about my refrigerator shelf.

Are you being a wise guy, or are you saying there's really no difference?

Bacon generally goes pretty fast - as in, consumed.

DMAC
07-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Bacon on toast and jelly. Best tasting thing ever....thanks to the bacon.

tomahawk kid
07-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Bacon on toast and jelly. Best tasting thing ever....thanks to the bacon.

In my experience, bacon and ranch dressing generally improve any dish to which they're added.......

DMAC
07-09-2009, 02:44 PM
IN my experience, bacon and ranch dressing generally improve any dish to which they're added.......Oops, I crapped my pants.

cdcox
07-09-2009, 03:08 PM

4 degrees? HELLLLOOOO. Are you forgetting about Dane? :D

KCChiefsMan
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
this whole time I thought eating a pound of bacon per day will keep the doctor away.

Scorp
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I just had to go cook up some bacon. mmmm-good

Can I have your daughter when you die? :D

Zebedee DuBois
07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
It's not, in fact, the bacon... it's what they DO to the bacon.

Darn that Hogfarmer and his barnyard perversions!

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I can't hear you.

Hog Farmer
07-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Between the bacon and the swine flu were all gonna die.

orange
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Between the bacon and the swine flu were all gonna die.

Ah, good. This thread could never be complete without an appearance by you. :clap:

BucEyedPea
07-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Y0u can buy natural bacon with no nitrates from certain butchers.

I love it broken with roasted roma tomatoes topping my favorite omelette of French chevre cheese and spinach.

Hog Farmer
07-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Y0u can buy natural bacon with no nitrates from certain butchers.

I love it broken with roasted roma tomatoes topping my favorite omelette of French chevre cheese and spinach.

Sounds like an invitation. I'm starvin!

DMAC
07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I used to like to dip my bacon in maple syrup...mmm hmm.

But now I dip it in ranch.

RJ
07-09-2009, 08:41 PM

It's a little higher priced, which I can live with (pun intended) but not all stores carry it.

Jethopper
07-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Bacon + Can o' Corn = Mmmmmm

milkman
07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
If I eat enugh bacon, I won't remember this study, so it's all good.

alanm
07-09-2009, 11:55 PM
A new study by researchers at Rhode Island Hospital have found a substantial link between increased levels of nitrates in our environment and food, with increased deaths from diseases, including Alzheimer's, diabetes mellitus and Parkinson's. The study was published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease (Volume 17:3 July 2009).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/156507.php

Damn! :crybaby:

... um, what was I saying?
Now for the really important question. How many pounds per week for how many years before the nitrates in the bacon becomes a health hazard?
Other wise I'll eat a couple of strips of bacon with my Sunday breakfast and the occasional BLT and not worry about it.

Raised On Riots
07-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Here it is, the sandwich Elvis flew to Colorado for on a whim:

http://images.forbes.com/media/2007/11/14/eat_02.jpg

Tell me you don't want a bite of that bad boy.

BWillie
07-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Everything you eat or drink will kill you eventually. If you ate enough celery it could probably be detrimental because of some reason

Raised On Riots
07-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Everything you eat or drink will kill you eventually. If you ate enough celery it could probably be detrimental because of some reason

Funny you should mention celery; too much of it WILL kill you.

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm not buying this. Muhammed ali was a muslim. Muslims don't eat pig. Ali has parkinsons.

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:13 AM

oh to die by chlorophyll.

BWillie
07-10-2009, 01:13 AM

How so? I knew it!

Rausch
07-10-2009, 01:19 AM
I can't hear you.

No doubt.

Fuck bacon, the beer and cigs will kill me before porky ever has a chance...

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:20 AM
No doubt.

**** bacon, the beer and cigs will kill me before porky ever has a chance...

what about smoked pickled bacon?

That's the trifecta.

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:21 AM
On a related note anybody every try turkey bacon?

BWillie
07-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Anybody know anything about grilled chicken breasts? I eat one a day. I love 'em.

Raised On Riots
07-10-2009, 01:22 AM
On a related note anybody every try turkey bacon?

"Facon"? Nah, never had it.

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Anybody know anything about grilled chicken breasts? I eat one a day. I love 'em.

I heard it makes you afraid.

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:24 AM
"Facon"? Nah, never had it.

I tried turkey sausage once. It tasted like the asshole of big bird. Just curious if making bacon out of turkey was any better.

Raised On Riots
07-10-2009, 01:26 AM
I tried turkey sausage once. It tasted like the asshole of big bird. Just curious if making bacon out of turkey was any better.

ROFL

The only way I know turkey is smoked over hickory, and I think I'd like to keep it that way.

Rausch
07-10-2009, 01:27 AM

For a few months me and the wife thought we'd get healthy so we'd fry 1/2 regular bacon with 1/2 turkey.

Different consistency/crunch but similar enough. Didn't taste bad at all.

Of course it was more expensive so that "get healthy" idea was one of the first to go....

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:29 AM
For a few months me and the wife thought we'd get healthy so we'd fry 1/2 regular bacon with 1/2 turkey.

Of course it was more expensive so that "get healthy" idea was one of the first to go....

Is it a huge difference in price? J/c because if that's the case I'll switch to lite beer.

Raised On Riots
07-10-2009, 01:29 AM

That two hours of cardio a day makes the cheeseburger less guilty and more enjoyable, let me tell you.

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:30 AM
ROFL

The only way I know turkey is smoked over hickory, and I think I'd like to keep it that way.

vs turkey sausage I understand wholeheartedly. But smoked turkey sounds pdg right now.

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:31 AM
That two hours of cardio a day makes the cheeseburger less guilty and more enjoyable, let me tell you.

I only get 10 minutes of cardio a day and that's only if the wife says yes.

Raised On Riots
07-10-2009, 01:33 AM
I only get 10 minutes of cardio a day and that's only if the wife says yes.

:clap:ROFL

Rausch
07-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Is it a huge difference in price? J/c because if that's the case I'll switch to lite beer.

$2 more I think? But I don't fucking shop around for groceries, I shop close.

And I already drink light beer. In fact I quit for about a month and lost 15 lbs.

Drink about 2 days a week, if that, now and down 20 lbs total in 3 months. I went back to work but no real change in exercise or diet. That extra 1,500-2,000 calories a day makes a difference...

Raised On Riots
07-10-2009, 01:37 AM
vs turkey sausage I understand wholeheartedly. But smoked turkey sounds pdg right now.

Oh man, 12 hour smoked turkey for Thanksgiving served with mashed potatoes with four types of gravy to choose from, brussel sprouts with hollandaise sauce, and a SHITLOAD of good, red wine with micro-brew chasers:

Happy Thanksgiving.

T-post Tom
07-10-2009, 01:40 AM
$2 more I think? But I don't ****ing shop around for groceries, I shop close.

And I already drink light beer. In fact I quit for about a month and lost 15 lbs.

Drink about 2 days a week, if that, now and down 20 lbs total in 3 months. I went back to work but no real change in exercise or diet. That extra 1,500-2,000 calories a day makes a difference...

And you call yourself a German! Oh the shame...:D

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Oh man, 12 hour smoked turkey for Thanksgiving served with mashed potatoes with four types of gravy to choose from, brussel sprouts with hollandaise sauce, and a SHITLOAD of good, red wine with micro-brew chasers:

Happy Thanksgiving.

Yes I accept your invitation for thanksgiving dinner, let me know if i can bring my family. If not it's cool they can eat turkey tv dinners.

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:44 AM
$2 more I think? But I don't ****ing shop around for groceries, I shop close.

A German drinking light beer. Oh the humanity.

Rausch
07-10-2009, 01:46 AM
A German drinking light beer. Oh the humanity.

Who the fuck you think invented it?...:D

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Who the **** you think invented it?...:D

Say it ain't so Joe, Say it ain't so.

orange
07-10-2009, 01:52 AM

oh to die by chlorophyll.

How so? I knew it!

Oddly enough, he's right. I just learned that today - Googling "nitrate-free bacon" because of this thread.

Celery is loaded with nitrate. Some of the "natural" bacon cheats by loading up with celery powder, which they can list as "natural flavorings."
:doh!:

Rausch
07-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Oddly enough, he's right. I just learned that today - Googling "nitrate-free bacon" because of this thread.

Celery is loaded with nitrate. Some of the "natural" bacon cheats by loading up with celery powder, which they can list as "natural flavorings."
:doh!:

WTF.

So...uh...what would be the symptoms of nitrate poisoning?:(

orange
07-10-2009, 02:01 AM
WTF.

After fifty or sixty years of consumption, you show signs of "Alzheimer's, diabetes mellitus and Parkinson's." :evil:

J Diddy
07-10-2009, 02:10 AM
WTF.

A neverending hunger for cream cheese.

Rausch
07-10-2009, 02:14 AM
After fifty or sixty years of consumption, you show signs of "Alzheimer's, diabetes mellitus and Parkinson's." :evil:

So I'll run around shaking, and masterbating ferociously to women who's names I can't rememeber, with inhuman loads, before crashing completely exhausted?...:eek:

lowteg
07-10-2009, 05:41 AM
I've had this debate in the past with organic food eaters, and what you guys mentioned above about celery and nitrate is very true. The fact is that the vegetables we eat every day contain far more nitrates than what is found in cured products such as bacon and other deli meat.

here is a cut/paste:

"The amount of nitrate in plants is determined mainly from its genetically based metabolism, the age of the plant, and the amount of available nitrate in the soil. Leafy green vegetables and some root crops contain the highest concentrations of nitrates. Among commonly eaten vegetables, beetroot, celery, lettuce, spinach, and radishes have the most nitrate. There is often a tenfold variation in nitrate levels of the same variety of vegetables sampled from supermarkets. This is largely a function of the age of the vegetable when picked and the amount of nitrate fertilizer used to grow the crop. Nitrate levels of vegetables have gone up significantly in recent years because of increased use of nitrate fertilizers. Nitrate levels in carrots, lettuce and spinach, for example have roughly doubled since the 1970s in the US."

http://leafforlife.org/PAGES/LEAFVEG.HTM

But why isn't everyone dead yet from eating vegetables? Because, Nitrate's alone are not harmful, its when they react with other compounds that things can get messy. But what researchers found is that high levels of Vitamin C or ascorbic acid can inhibit nitrates reaction with other compounds, and vegetables have high amounts of these naturally. Its for this reason that by law now all cured products must have a 3 to 1 ratio of vitamin C to nitrate/nitrite. If you read the labels on your bacon or deli meat you will often see Sodium Erythorbate (known as Vitamin C: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_erythorbate) or ascorbic acid. Having this in the product guarantees to inhibit any reactions.

In addition to this, Nitrates have even been found to be good for your health:

"Researchers at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston have conducted experiments using mice. They determined that mice that consumed extra amounts of nitrite and nitrate had better outcomes following heart attacks than mice that did not consume extra nitrites and nitrates."

Nitrate has also been found to be naturally produced by the human body to fight off bacteria and to help in controlling blood pressure. ( http://www.cmc-cvc.com/french/documents/SodiumNitriteFactSheet.pdf )

I am the type of person to investigate deeply when things like this is said, and I spent alot of time researching this because I for one love eating bacon and other deli meats and I had to read this up for myself. The fact is that nitrates have been around forever, from what I have seen ...

I have found that most of these arguments started to become more mainstream when organic producers started to hit the markets, these guys often advertise their products as "nitrate free" but you will often see celery or some other vegetable extract in their meats. Its a marketing ploy, and I bet all these "medical studies" on nitrates have been funded by these organic producers to help sell their products...

hope this helps...

Frosty
07-10-2009, 08:04 AM
From the article:

The researchers graphed and analyzed mortality rates, and compared them with increasing age for each disease. They then studied United States population growth, annual use and consumption of nitrite-containing fertilizers, annual sales at popular fast food chains, and sales for a major meat processing company, as well as consumption of grain and consumption of watermelon and cantaloupe (the melons were used as a control since they are not typically associated with nitrate or nitrite exposure).

The findings indicate that while nitrogen-containing fertilizer consumption increased by 230 percent between 1955 and 2005, its usage doubled between 1960 and 1980, which just precedes the insulin-resistant epidemics the researchers found. They also found that sales from the fast food chain and the meat processing company increased more than 8-fold from 1970 to 2005, and grain consumption increased 5-fold.

Yeah, let's blame the bacon. :rolleyes:

ct
07-10-2009, 09:24 AM
what about smoked pickled bacon?

That's the trifecta.

Wash it down with a beer and side of cheese my man!