PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports ESPN, East Coast Bias and you.

KCtotheSB
07-09-2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/28164/is_espn_biased_against_the_padres?

Just read that blog post about ESPN's bias and coverage of sports teams and was wondering if it bothers any of you that a small market team, like..oh.... the Chiefs don't get as much coverage as say...oh I dunno...the ****ing Cowboys on ESPN or could you not care any less? We all know, it's about ratings and covering East Coast/popular teams dishes out the ratings crack that ESPN loves.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I simply change the channel whenever SportsCenter wades into a New York/Boston/Cowboys circle jerk. I do get kind of peeved that the NHL isn't given as much screen time on SportsCenter. Believe me, if there was a competent alternative, I'd be there...but alas.....

Garcia Bronco
07-09-2009, 02:50 PM
ESPN outside of the airing of actual sport is worthless soap opera bias garbage. For th elove of God turn it off when they aren't showing an actual game.

wild1
07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
ESPN outside of the airing of actual sport is worthless soap opera bias garbage. For th elove of God turn it off when they aren't showing an actual game.

I agree with this.

Kyle DeLexus
07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/28164/is_espn_biased_against_the_padres?

Just read that blog post about ESPN's bias and coverage of sports teams and was wondering if it bothers any of you that a small market team, like..oh.... the Chiefs don't get as much coverage as say...oh I dunno...the ****ing Cowboys on ESPN or could you not care any less? We all know, it's about ratings and covering East Coast/popular teams dishes out the ratings crack that ESPN loves.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I simply change the channel whenever SportsCenter wades into a New York/Boston/Cowboys circle jerk. I do get kind of peeved that the NHL isn't given as much screen time on SportsCenter. Believe me, if there was a competent alternative, I'd be there...but alas.....

What really sucks is the whole hockey thing. Marty breaks the wins record and they barely say a thing about it, yet the whole program is about the red sox and yankees. Zack has the best start of any pitcher and it's about how CC sucks.

|Zach|
07-09-2009, 02:54 PM
There is a bias...but not as much as most people think IMO it just seems like another thing for people to listen to themselves bitch about.

If there is a huge bias it is towards good teams. The Chiefs are not that.

|Zach|
07-09-2009, 02:54 PM
What really sucks is the whole hockey thing. Marty breaks the wins record and they barely say a thing about it, yet the whole program is about the red sox and yankees. Zack has the best start of any pitcher and it's about how CC sucks.

Hockey is a regional niche sport.

Kyle DeLexus
07-09-2009, 02:58 PM

It'd still be nice for them to cover it a little bit more besides Alex the Great vs. Sid the Kid, and of course the top 10 plays.

Honestly though, I don't watch ESPN much anymore and the NHL screwed itself with VS.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Yup. ESPN = the National Enquirer of sports.

wild1
07-09-2009, 02:59 PM

I agree on the Red Sox/Yankees stuff.

However, the NHL's problem with media exposure can be traced back to Gary Bettman, you don't even need to include ESPN.

They'd rather do a hip, urban highlight package for the Clippers and the Twolves than show anything about hockey, sure. That's on them.

PunkinDrublic
07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I hate ESPN but it's not like the Chiefs and Royals have had a lot to brag about lately.

wild1
07-09-2009, 03:00 PM

here is a map of this "niche" and its "region".

Otter
07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
If there is a huge bias it is towards good teams. The Chiefs are not that.

In '93 they were mentioned nationally in the same breath as The Patriots, Colts and even Mr. Farve on ESPN and every other sports network.

You don't hear about the Chiefs the same reason you don't hear about other bad teams - because they've sucked so bad for so long.

Frazod
07-09-2009, 03:02 PM
This time of year all I watch for is highlights of games I missed. As a Cardinal fan I'm lucky in that Albert Pujols is the best player in baseball and as a result there will always be a certain amount of Cardinal love despite St. Louis being a small market midwest city.

Of course, if Albert played for New York or Boston the fuckers would probably have a separate channel dedicated to him.

Demonpenz
07-09-2009, 03:03 PM
i remember when priest broke the TD record all they did was show it on the bottom scroller for fantasy football

Demonpenz
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I though espn's coverage of hockey was ok this year

Kyle DeLexus
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree on the Red Sox/Yankees stuff.

However, the NHL's problem with media exposure can be traced back to Gary Bettman, you don't even need to include ESPN.

They'd rather do a hip, urban highlight package for the Clippers and the Twolves than show anything about hockey, sure. That's on them.

Bettman sucks and the Vs. thing was terrible, it's made it where you only hear about the penguins, caps, or red wings.

Anyone know if ESPN has said much about Joe Sackashit retiring?

Chiefnj2
07-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Win a playoff game once a decade and get back to me.

PunkinDrublic
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
I wish Dan Patrick would walk onto the set of sportscenter and bitch slap Stuart Scott live on the air.

DJJasonp
07-09-2009, 03:54 PM
There is an east coast bias. Hell, it should be the yankees/red sox 24 hour channel.

That said, the chiefs and royals have sucked for quite a while now.....so we're not getting any love regardless.

For baseball - if you really want to get other teams on ESPN beside BOS, NY, ATL, CHI....and maybe PHIL, LA......you gotta wait for a salary cap. That's the only thing that's going to even out the playing field. And then, it will be up to owners, GM's, and coaching to determine who is televised all the time (meaning - how successful they are at building a 'winning' team).

Before Parcells/Bledsoe/Belicheck/Brady - you never heard a peep about the Pats. Same goes for pre-Manning and the colts.

There's only been a few exceptions over the years when it comes to bad teams and coverage....and those are reserved for the freaks of nature (Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Randy Moss, etc.).

And as mentioned...Gary Bettman screwed the pooch....and the NHL has never been the same.

Consistent1
07-09-2009, 04:07 PM
The problem with saying that the stuff is biased is the damn teams win a whole bunch.

Ebolapox
07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
six wins in the last two years. how much fucking attention do we deserve?

hell. we've gotten infinitely more attention now that pioli is our gm. it's like we bought legitimacy.

wild1
07-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Bettman sucks and the Vs. thing was terrible, it's made it where you only hear about the penguins, caps, or red wings.

With limited showings on every-household media, I can see why they do what they do.

The Sunday HD game on NBC is a great, great thing. It's a sport on Sunday afternoon you can watch when it isn't football season, in the spring, when the NHL is really gearing up. HD helps hockey more than any other sport, and here you get to see the great teams and star players in the playoff push. The commentary and presentation are very good on NBC.

Yes, it rotated between the Rangers/Pens/Caps/Wings. The NHL doesn't get the exposure that the NFL does, they need to showcase their most exciting players and best teams. Plus, they lean on games being played in Eastern time because of the noon start. I see what they are doing. It's not like my team plays Sunday very often but they have to make the most of what time they have.

Kyle DeLexus
07-09-2009, 04:50 PM
With limited showings on every-household media, I can see why they do what they do.

The Sunday HD game on NBC is a great, great thing. It's a sport on Sunday afternoon you can watch when it isn't football season, in the spring, when the NHL is really gearing up. HD helps hockey more than any other sport, and here you get to see the great teams and star players in the playoff push. The commentary and presentation are very good on NBC.

Yes, it rotated between the Rangers/Pens/Caps/Wings. The NHL doesn't get the exposure that the NFL does, they need to showcase their most exciting players and best teams. Plus, they lean on games being played in Eastern time because of the noon start. I see what they are doing. It's not like my team plays Sunday very often but they have to make the most of what time they have.

Yeah it doesn't help that the Devils just don't play exciting hockey. I just hate 2 teams that are playing ALLL the time.

wild1
07-09-2009, 04:52 PM
And,

I don't see why the NBA should be regarded as mainstream while hockey is some 'niche' thing. basketball, it's a second tier sport just like hockey is. The NBA could arguably be ranked below its college counterpart in terms of the quality of play, the importance, the national interest in it - the only sport I know of that could be described in this way. it's played in places like portland, salt lake city, oklahoma city, memphis. Four teams have moved this decade, all to markets smaller than that which they previously occupied.

I wouldn't say that the NBA is a league that is head and shoulders above the NHL. They're on the same level unless you live in a city that isn't big enough to have either, and then you only get what the media contracts the past few years have given you.

JuicesFlowing
07-09-2009, 04:57 PM
ESPN has 3-4 programs in the afternoon that cover the same three topics. Of course, after listening to radio sports talk cover those same topics all morning, I pretty much have no use for ESPN. Their website is good for news and updates though.

Baconeater
07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
And,

I don't see why the NBA should be regarded as mainstream while hockey is some 'niche' thing. basketball, it's a second tier sport just like hockey is. The NBA could arguably be ranked below its college counterpart in terms of the quality of play, the importance, the national interest in it - the only sport I know of that could be described in this way. it's played in places like portland, salt lake city, oklahoma city, memphis. Four teams have moved this decade, all to markets smaller than that which they previously occupied.

I wouldn't say that the NBA is a league that is head and shoulders above the NHL. They're on the same level unless you live in a city that isn't big enough to have either, and then you only get what the media contracts the past few years have given you.
Hornets, Grizzlies, Sonics....who is the fourth team?

wild1
07-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Hornets, Grizzlies, Sonics....who is the fourth team?

Well, the hornets moved three times, but two due to katrina. So there have been three relocations in the NBA in the last decade.

Point being, the NHL has not had a relocation since 1997, and the league has added three teams since then.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 06:10 PM
And,

You want the simple answer as to why the NBA is mainstream and hockey is niche?

Only white people watch hockey. :shrug:

Really. No ethnic guys play hockey. Black kids in the hood don't play pick-up hockey games. Latino gangs in L.A. don't adopt NHL team names for their gangs, LOL. Even China had Yao Ming to get their country into the NBA. Hockey? You've got Russians... and Russians don't spend a lot of tourist dough in America on NHL souvenirs.

|Zach|
07-09-2009, 06:54 PM
And,

I don't see why the NBA should be regarded as mainstream while hockey is some 'niche' thing. basketball

Good luck to anyone who is trying to not laugh while reading this. I don't dislike hockey. I just see it for what it is. PBA bowling gets better tv ratings than the NHL.

|Zach|
07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
You want the simple answer as to why the NBA is mainstream and hockey is niche?

Only white people watch hockey. :shrug:

Really. No ethnic guys play hockey. Black kids in the hood don't play pick-up hockey games. Latino gangs in L.A. don't adopt NHL team names for their gangs, LOL. Even China had Yao Ming to get their country into the NBA. Hockey? You've got Russians... and Russians don't spend a lot of tourist dough in America on NHL souvenirs.
How many white suburban kids play basketball vs hockey.

Deberg_1990
07-09-2009, 07:13 PM
It could be argued that MLS gets more exposure than the NHL now. At least MLS is on ESPN.

Fruit Ninja
07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
i rarely watch espn anymore unless the actual sport is on that i want to watch.

|Zach|
07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
It could be argued that MLS gets more exposure than the NHL now. At least MLS is on ESPN.

I dig the Wizards.

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/Kansas-City-Wizards%203.gif

BucEyedPea
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM

I agree.

JD10367
07-09-2009, 09:20 PM
How many white suburban kids play basketball vs hockey.

Not the point. The point is that white kids, black kids, Hispanic kids, and "insert your color/race here" kids play basketball, but mostly only white kids play hockey. And people of all color follow pro basketball, but I don't see a lot of homies in the stands watching hockey. For some reason, it's just a sport that whites, and Russians and Northern Europeans, like to play and watch.

But, in addition to that, the NHL is just crappily run. I still don't understand how they managed to f**k things up to the point that Canadian hockey teams had to leave Canada and move to the southwest U.S. to be viable. That's the equivalent of NFL teams having to go play in Toronto instead of Buffa... uh, waitaminute, LOL...

Kyle DeLexus
07-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Not the point. The point is that white kids, black kids, Hispanic kids, and "insert your color/race here" kids play basketball, but mostly only white kids play hockey. And people of all color follow pro basketball, but I don't see a lot of homies in the stands watching hockey. For some reason, it's just a sport that whites, and Russians and Northern Europeans, like to play and watch.

But, in addition to that, the NHL is just crappily run. I still don't understand how they managed to f**k things up to the point that Canadian hockey teams had to leave Canada and move to the southwest U.S. to be viable. That's the equivalent of NFL teams having to go play in Toronto instead of Buffa... uh, waitaminute, LOL...

AH HA! I see what you did there :)