PDA

View Full Version : Money Bartenders...

Priest31kc
07-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Any bartenders in here?

Ive been thinking about what I want to do and bartending popped into my head, so I was wondering how is it being a bartender? Can you make a good living being one?

Ive read that bartending school is a waste of time and money, and that a good way to become a bartender is to apply at bars or clubs to be a bar back or server.

Any advice?

T-post Tom
07-10-2009, 12:06 AM
I did it in college for a short time. Good money if you don't mind working with drunkards and loose women.

crazycoffey
07-10-2009, 12:09 AM
done it myself, my girl is a bartender, not bad money, ups and downs like waves. some good weeks some bad ones. Gotta be a good area, a good bar, and you gotta really like to be around people and see the good and bad of them. F the bartending college crap. Most places you have to work your way up to the bar, start barbacking or waiting first and work your way to it, unless you can BS the owner and say you have experience....

BWillie
07-10-2009, 01:11 AM
done it myself, my girl is a bartender, not bad money, ups and downs like waves. some good weeks some bad ones. Gotta be a good area, a good bar, and you gotta really like to be around people and see the good and bad of them. F the bartending college crap. Most places you have to work your way up to the bar, start barbacking or waiting first and work your way to it, unless you can BS the owner and say you have experience....

Or be a really, really hot scantily clothed woman

beach tribe
07-10-2009, 06:49 AM
I moonlight as one. Met my hot ass GF doing it. The bar is right across the street from my house. Money has been down since the economy went to shit, but you can certainly make some good $ doing it.

beach tribe
07-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Get a book. Get a bottle. Learn to free pour.

Get your pouring right, and know the top 25 drinks. They are going to ask you to make a drink. The amount you pour will be the biggest thing they judge.

KChiefer
07-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Ever made a drink called a Lindsey Lohan?

It's a redheaded slut with a splash of coke.

Zing!!!!

beach tribe
07-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Ever made a drink called a Lindsey Lohan?

It's a redheaded slut with a splash of coke.

Zing!!!!

Bravo sir. I'm bartending tonight. Thanks for the material.

Anybody else got any good ones?

Otter
07-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Kudos on the Lindsey Lohan....

I made my way through college as a bartender. Started off at Red Lobster bar tending & waiter then full time bartender at Pitt Bar & at OC Maryland Restaurant Chain living the high life.

Great lifestyle if you're single, footloose and fancy free.

I'm all the above but slept 2 hours last night answering pages, making phone calls and making fun of goat boy to get off his ass. I'm about to fall asleep on my desk.

WTF am I doing?

Otter
07-10-2009, 07:46 AM
PS..I was asked twice if I knew how to make a rusty nail in interviews. You'll probably never have to make one but if you know how it's kind of a measuring stick of what you know.

Katipan
07-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Lots of fun, but I drank too much.

58-4ever
07-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Bartending school IS a TOTAL waste of money. Most Restaurant and club owners will laugh at you if you even put that you went to bartending school on your application.

Unlike many, I actually drank less. By the time I got off, everyone else was already hammered and I was tired of being around drunk people. Plus, it's one of the few jobs I could do while I was high. (although I wouldn't recommend this at an extremely fast paced club.)

As for making a good living, yes you definitely can. However, you have to find a good spot. And those are often very competitive spots to get in. You'd need to get some experience under your belt.

tmax63
07-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Stepson did the bartending school thing. It was a good way for him to learn the drinks. If you have a tendency to drink, not a good career choice but he made good money. I was a doorman/bouncer at the same club (a comedy club) and got to pour beers when the 2nd didn't show up. It's just real easy to go into it thinking you won't drink any, then after clean-up and all the staff gets 1 on the house and you wake up wondering how you got drunk.