PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Pull-ups/Chin-up tips

Blitz
07-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Just recently (few weeks), i've begun working out, trying to get into better shape. I've read online and heard from friends that one of the best exercises for backs and overall upper body strength are pull ups.

Now, my basement is unfinished, so I usually attempt to use the steel beams to do pull ups, but I struggle alot. I can't seem to do any. I don't have enough money to afford a gym pass, so I have to make do with what I have at home.

My daily routine is 100-150 pushups and a 1.5 mile run. I want to include pull up exercises, but am really struggling...occasionally, I'll be able to do 1 pull up but I tend to rock my body and back and forth while doing so. I've tried lifting my legs back...but it doesn't seem to work.

I figure there's alot of my fellow chiefsplanet posters work out and would have some tips for a beginner.

FYI, I'm 6'1 and 180 lbs...I know, i can't believe that I can't do one pull up either

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 03:20 PM
google body weight exercises (http://www.google.com/search?q=body+weight+exercises&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)...there is a ton of stuff you can do

Spicy McHaggis
07-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Do negative pull ups to start with. That is use a chair or something to get you to the top of your bar in what would be the "finish" position, and then use your own strength to lower yourself slowly and under control.

Eventually you'll build the strength needed to do the full rep.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't think a steel beam is the best thing to be using, there's no way you're going to get a solid grip. You need to rig up some sort of bar somehow. I've seen ones that hang in doorways but I have no idea what they cost.

the Talking Can
07-11-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't think a steel beam is the best thing to be using, there's no way you're going to get a solid grip. You need to rig up some sort of bar somehow. I've seen ones that hang in doorways but I have no idea what they cost.

less than 30$ at target/walmart

i have the iron gym one, actually works fine as long as you have an acceptable door frame to hang it on

Fritz88
07-11-2009, 03:37 PM
don't push too hard and end up injuring yourself. start gradually, i'd say increase the running distance and change your routine from day to day..

good luck..

Halfcan
07-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Just recently (few weeks), i've begun working out, trying to get into better shape. I've read online and heard from friends that one of the best exercises for backs and overall upper body strength are pull ups.

Now, my basement is unfinished, so I usually attempt to use the steel beams to do pull ups, but I struggle alot. I can't seem to do any. I don't have enough money to afford a gym pass, so I have to make do with what I have at home.

My daily routine is 100-150 pushups and a 1.5 mile run. I want to include pull up exercises, but am really struggling...occasionally, I'll be able to do 1 pull up but I tend to rock my body and back and forth while doing so. I've tried lifting my legs back...but it doesn't seem to work.

I figure there's alot of my fellow chiefsplanet posters work out and would have some tips for a beginner.

FYI, I'm 6'1 and 180 lbs...I know, i can't believe that I can't do one pull up either

ROFL wow turn in your man card

Crashride
07-11-2009, 04:39 PM
do jumping pull ups for now. if you cant reach the beam step on something big and sturdy (like a pallet etc...). jump and pull yourself up enough to make the beam reach your chest. I workout at a crossfit gym here in tampa. good stuff.

www.crossfitsparta.com- tampa location www.crossfit.com - official site

TONS of amazing workouts created by navy seals. It happens to be the workout done for the spartans in the movie 300.

Halfcan
07-11-2009, 05:18 PM
It is a good thing you didn't have Mr. Woodcock for gym class-lol

BWillie
07-11-2009, 05:33 PM
You can get a gym membership for like 23 dollars a month at 24 hour fitness. If you can't afford that, then I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like you need some resistance training son!

FAX
07-11-2009, 05:41 PM
A poster the Planet called Blitz
Did chin-ups instead of the splits
He put lead in his pockets
Pulled his arms from his sockets
And now he no longer has pits

FAX

DeezNutz
07-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Ask your wife to do a pull up. Pay attention to how she does it, and then try to repeat her actions. :)

googlegoogle
07-11-2009, 07:19 PM
get some weights and work on those biceps.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Ask your wife to do a pull up. Pay attention to how she does it, and then try to repeat her actions. :)

LMAO

Count Zarth
07-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I can do about 15 pull ups in a row. I didn't do them for a long time but started a few months ago. I did a lot of free weight and machine exercises for months before that so that probably built up the appropriate muscles.

But they are pretty hardcore, brah. I do them on a makeshift pullup bar in the middle of my park. I run out there and go all Rambo on it in the wilderness. Chicks in the bushes stare.

stevieray
07-11-2009, 07:28 PM
chick in the bush: is he still here"
chick in the bush II: yes..OMG..he's looking at his arms again
chicks in the bushes: LMAO

Count Zarth
07-11-2009, 07:29 PM
chick in the bush: is he still here"
chick in the bush II: yes..OMG..he's looking at his arms again

Sometimes I do sneak a peek. I don't think anyone can compete with the love I have for myself.

Skip Towne
07-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Sometimes I do sneak a peek. I don't think anyone can compete with the love I have for myself.

Been sucking any dicks?

Count Zarth
07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Been sucking any dicks?

Believe me I could suck most any dick I wanted out there, at least the gay ones. But destiny had a different plan for my mouth. It was to be shot off via the internet.

Don't hijack the thread, please.

BWillie
07-11-2009, 08:06 PM
get some weights and work on those biceps.

Fail.

FAX
07-11-2009, 08:23 PM
It seems to me that the chicks in the bushes could well be Mothmen or even Possum People. In particular, the potentiality of Possum People portends perpetual perilous possibilities.

FAX

stevieray
07-11-2009, 08:41 PM
It seems to me that the chicks in the bushes could well be Mothmen or even Possum People. In particular, the potentiality of Possum People portends perpetual perilous possibilities.

FAX
...plausible

Demonpenz
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
if you were stuck on an island with one workout you want to do a squat for the rest for your life

stevieray
07-11-2009, 08:45 PM
if you were stuck on an island with one workout you want to do a squat for the rest for your life

demonpenz say

good balance
no fall
and break hip

FAX
07-11-2009, 08:46 PM
The well-executed squat thrust is a lost art.

FAX

FAX
07-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Not sure who lost it, though.

FAX

FAX
07-11-2009, 08:52 PM
It was re-discovered by Christopher Columbust, however.

FAX

Rain Man
07-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I've noticed that pullups seem to be a very training-specific exercise. No other exercise except pullups helps you do pullups, so you just have to keep trying and eventually you can do one and then two and then you get better each time.

Count Zarth
07-11-2009, 10:35 PM
You can do pulldowns on a machine. Those help.

FAX
07-11-2009, 10:45 PM
What about bitch-slapping, though, Mr. Rain Man? Bitch-slapping uses a lot of the same muscles as the pull-up exercise. It seems to me that, if you want to improve at pull-ups, you might want to start with some bitch-slapping. Or vice-versa, of course. However, if you're not very good at bitch-slapping, you might want to practice on some weak bitch at first then work your way up to a more hard-core bitch. Either way, once you're able to put down a decent-sized bitch with one or two bitch-slaps, you're well on your way to mastering the pull-up.

FAX

Silock
07-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I've noticed that pullups seem to be a very training-specific exercise. No other exercise except pullups helps you do pullups, so you just have to keep trying and eventually you can do one and then two and then you get better each time.

Pull-downs help develop it. However, I have an intense dislike for machines, so I'd steer clear if possible.

The Iron Gym is a really good pull-up bar. I was skeptical at first, but I take it with me whenever I go out of town now. It really is easy to use and doesn't leave marks on doorways or anything.

Also, here's a GREAT link:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-do-pull-ups-and-chin-ups-with-proper-technique/

Kerberos
07-12-2009, 05:55 AM
<embed id="mediaPlayerContainer" width="404" height="352" align="TL" flashvars="id=03KqeOEbyBlTsbiEJW06IW6i8V&partnerId=3&pwidth=404&pheight=352&embedvars=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ehow.com%2fembedvars.aspx%3fshow_related%3dtrue%26from_url%3dhttp%253a%25 2f%252fwww.ehow.com%252fvideo_2361477_using-assisted-pullup-exercise-machine.html" scale="noscale" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="window" menu="false" loop="false" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" name="mediaPlayerContainer" style="" name="mediaPlayerContainer" src="http://i.ehow.com/flash/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.ehow.com/video_2361477_using-assisted-pullup-exercise-machine.html">Using the Assisted Pull-Up Exercise Machine at the Gym</a> -- powered by eHow.com

patteeu
07-12-2009, 08:32 AM
ROFL wow turn in your man card

I judge that this post was uncalled for :shake:

But this one is funny LMAO

andoman
07-12-2009, 09:04 AM
You can get a gym membership for like 23 dollars a month at 24 hour fitness. If you can't afford that, then I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like you need some resistance training son!

Gold's Gym here has a $15/mnth no commitment offer right now. If there was one close to my house or close to my work, I'd be there.

Ok, maybe I'm just making excuses...

MahiMike
07-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I made a chinup bar out of a sawed off shovel. The handle is nice and big and already finished. I put it up in the doorway with angle brackets.

I try to do 25 a day, no matter how many sets it takes. Just gotta do em to get better. I remember as a kid being embarrassed I couldn't do 3. I practiced all summer and the next year did 20.

Also, Creatine might help.

L.A. Chieffan
07-12-2009, 10:30 AM
juice

Blitz
07-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I might try those negative pull ups. Using steel beams might not be the greatest of ideas, so I'll probably look into buying a pull up bar.

I don't think working on biceps would help you so much on pull ups because it seems like it requires alot more upper back (and lats) strength (which I am lacking)...but I'll increase my bicep exercises as well.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Blitz
07-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I made a chinup bar out of a sawed off shovel. The handle is nice and big and already finished. I put it up in the doorway with angle brackets.

I try to do 25 a day, no matter how many sets it takes. Just gotta do em to get better. I remember as a kid being embarrassed I couldn't do 3. I practiced all summer and the next year did 20.

Also, Creatine might help.

20 in a row?

Blitz
07-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Well-played...lol

BigOlChiefsfan
07-12-2009, 01:45 PM
http://tinyurl.com/lvgoh4

Halfcan
07-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I judge that this post was uncalled for :shake:

But this one is funny LMAO

One pull up? Not even one?? I was not trying to be a dick-just surprised he could not even do one. I have never heard of such a thing. But he has some big balls to get on here and admit it-props and Best of luck!!

The push up thing is impressive though-that is a bunch. Nice job!!

chiefbowe82
07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
One pull up? Not even one?? I was not trying to be a dick-just surprised he could not even do one. I have never heard of such a thing. But he has some big balls to get on here and admit it-props and Best of luck!!

You'd be surprised how many people can't do a pullup. Do a few sets of failure with someone holding your feet 4 times a week for two weeks. Also do other exercises to work your lats such as lat pulldown or pullovers. You can also do rows (db, barbell, t-bar) that would help.

stlchiefs
07-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Pull-downs help develop it. However, I have an intense dislike for machines, so I'd steer clear if possible.

The Iron Gym is a really good pull-up bar. I was skeptical at first, but I take it with me whenever I go out of town now. It really is easy to use and doesn't leave marks on doorways or anything.

Also, here's a GREAT link:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-do-pull-ups-and-chin-ups-with-proper-technique/

Nice link, but then the video they have shows a guy doing pullups where's he's swinging his legs and definitely not going over the bar on at least 1/2 of them.

Count Zarth
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Who wants to have a Chiefsplanet pull up contest? We can post videos. You have to do 'em in a row, no resting.

Silock
07-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Nice link, but then the video they have shows a guy doing pullups where's he's swinging his legs and definitely not going over the bar on at least 1/2 of them.

1) He weighs 310 lbs. I'll give him some leeway on the legs.

2) You don't have to go over the bar to do a correct pull-up/chin-up. The proper technique is to pull the bar to your chest or vice versa. Going over is just a matter of how you're built.

chop
07-12-2009, 07:10 PM
You can spot yourself with a chair at first.

stlchiefs
07-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Who wants to have a Chiefsplanet pull up contest? We can post videos. You have to do 'em in a row, no resting.

I'd be in but I'm not taking a camera to the gym. Sorry.

Blitz
07-13-2009, 09:06 PM

Pushups are no problem for me...I can do 30-40 straight with no rest...eventually I'd like to make somewhere past 60 pushups with no rest.

Just to clarify, pull ups are when your palms are facing outward thus using more of your back and i think lats, whereas chin ups use more biceps (in which case I can easily eclipse 10 in a row).