PDA

View Full Version : Life Wood/carpentry project sortof...

AustinChief
07-11-2009, 07:58 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YCiU623tb04/Sfj_PlB-ETI/AAAAAAAAA5s/qQ-aR7Ekjpc/s1600-h/Mid+Century+Modern+Art+Jessica+Kestler+4.png

OK, thinking of making something similar to this for my living room but not completely "squared" off... bits would just out past the rectangle you see here...

ANy ideas on the most sound way to make this? Just line up my wood on top of a giant peice of laminate then cut out to match and use as a backing to glue the wood to?

What say you?

AustinChief
07-11-2009, 08:01 PM
and here is a pic for those not wanting to click link...

ChiefButthurt
07-11-2009, 08:02 PM
So you're one of those artsy fartsy kinda guys huh? But seriously, it's kinda cool for the wall.

AustinChief
07-11-2009, 08:07 PM
So you're one of those artsy fartsy kinda guys huh? But seriously, it's kinda cool for the wall.

not really very artsy at all, but it is the only thing I can think of to match the furniture and I can't imagine paying for a bunch of wood stuck together when I could do it myself... AND I have no clue where I would buy one...

stevieray
07-11-2009, 08:11 PM
not really very artsy at all, but it is the only thing I can think of to match the furniture and I can't imagine paying for a bunch of wood stuck together when I could do it myself... AND I have no clue where I would buy one...

what about the furniture makes this the only option??

AustinChief
07-11-2009, 08:23 PM
what about the furniture makes this the only option??

Didn't say the ONLY option, just the only one I could THINK of... kinda limited that way.. :D

The furniture is brown/tan/black shades and mostly midcentury modern style. Figure this would be an easy project that would also look good with the decor.

stevieray
07-11-2009, 08:40 PM
how much were you looking to spend?

RJ
07-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I work in a flooring store and those pieces in the picture look to me like hardwood samples. I'd bet they're glued to a piece of 1/4" plywood. Liquid nail should do the trick.

stevieray
07-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I work in a flooring store and those pieces in the picture look to me like hardwood samples. I'd bet they're glued to a piece of 1/4" plywood. Liquid nail should do the trick.

struck down by smarts and hardwood samples

Baconeater
07-11-2009, 08:58 PM
They make flooring that looks like plywood?

RJ
07-11-2009, 09:26 PM
They make flooring that looks like plywood?

I didn't see any pieces that looked like plywood.

But hey, that's even easier, just glue some plywood to some plywood!

Seriously, I'm pretty sure those are samples someone turned into art. I think it's pretty cool, I should make one for the store.

Better yet, I'll get someone who is good at making stuff make one for the store.

Baconeater
07-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I didn't see any pieces that looked like plywood.

But hey, that's even easier, just glue some plywood to some plywood!

Seriously, I'm pretty sure those are samples someone turned into art. I think it's pretty cool, I should make one for the store.

Better yet, I'll get someone who is good at making stuff make one for the store.
That piece right in the middle of the foreground with the big ol' knot in it isn't plywood?

Phobia
07-11-2009, 10:18 PM
That piece right in the middle of the foreground with the big ol' knot in it isn't plywood?

No. It looks like a cutoff scrap 1x10" of #2 pine to me.

In fact, most of it looks like pine 1x to me.

I don't even find it to be very compelling.

Groves
07-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Some of the pieces are clearly boards, and not flooring.

Having said that, it seems little more than an artsy arrangement of different kinds of boards behind a plexiglass case.

I can't get a good sense of scale with the JPG.

If you want to do it yourself, the acquisition part is easy. Flooring has been mentioned, but if you go to the saw room of any hardwood dealer, they'll likely have short cutt-offs of a very wide variety of woods, depending on the dealer.

They're not likely cheap woods, either, unless a wall of rotary cut baltic birch veneer is the look you're after.

The pain isn't so much getting the pieces, but the surface prep and finishing is what will take some equipment and skill.

Phil could knock it out in about 15minutes.

Baconeater
07-11-2009, 10:24 PM
No. It looks like a cutoff scrap 1x10" of #2 pine to me.

In fact, most of it looks like pine 1x to me.

I don't even find it to be very compelling.
This piece, damnit!:cuss:

http://i29.tinypic.com/x5vbds.jpg

Groves
07-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Upon further review, everything in that display is pine. Stains and finishes can change the colors, but it's still pine. Of course, you don't get a great look at the blackish ones, but most of the rest are identifiable.

Phobia
07-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I know which piece, Bugeater. I can see endgrain on that piece. It's not plywood.

Baconeater
07-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I know which piece, Bugeater. I can see endgrain on that piece. It's not plywood.
That piece is a hell of a lot wider than 10".

Or the whole entire thing is a much smaller scale than I'm imagining it.

ChiefGator
07-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Do not do it... it is ugly, man.

Step away from the multi-colored wood wall...