PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Replacing Gonzalez proving to be a chore in K.C.

Von Dumbass
07-12-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/07/11/replacing-gonzalez-proving-to-be-a-chore-in-kc

Replacing Gonzalez proving to be a chore in K.C.
Posted July 11, 2009 @ 6:50 p.m.
By Michael Blunda

Nobody in the Chiefs' organization thought it would be easy to replace departed TE Tony Gonzalez, a 10-time Pro Bowler and surefire Hall of Famer, but they probably didn’t think it would be this difficult, either. In one of the more surprising developments of the team’s recent minicamp, head coach Todd Haley declared the competition for the starting tight end job wide open, dispelling the widely believed thought that the spot belonged to Brad Cottam. From what we hear, Cottam, a 2008 third-round pick by the Chiefs and the favorite to capture the job, struggled mightily during offseason workouts, frequently dropping catchable passes. His failure to seize the opportunity has opened the door for others — like veterans Sean Ryan and Tony Curtis and seventh-round rookie Jake O’Connell — to enter the mix for starting duties. Although the Chiefs aren’t expected to utilize their tight ends as receivers very often, the offense would be lacking without a skilled pass catcher at that spot. Thus far, Cottam has “dropped the ball.”

Hog Farmer
07-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Getting rid of Tg was a fucking stupid move. Stupid I tell ya. He has had his best years as of late and would have taken a lot of pressure off Cassel.

acesn8s
07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh no! The Chiefs will have to use their wide recievers! http://www.msnheaven.com/content/emoticons/65/scared0012.gif (http://www.msnheaven.com/Emoticons/Scared/download.php?fileid=26362)

King_Chief_Fan
07-12-2009, 03:32 PM
that wouldn't be good to have Ryan or Curtis as your featured TE. I had hopes for Cottam.... not that he could replace Gonzo, bu that he would be good enough to be the featured TE. Anyone else have an opinion about Ryan or Curtis that provides any hope?

Hog Farmer
07-12-2009, 03:34 PM
that wouldn't be good to have Ryan or Curtis as your featured TE. I had hopes for Cottam.... not that he could replace Gonzo, bu that he would be good enough to be the featured TE. Anyone else have an opinion about Ryan or Curtis that provides any hope?

Yeah, I have an opinion.

They suck !

googlegoogle
07-12-2009, 03:42 PM
winning the lockerroom is key. More of salary cap is going to younger players because vets can be head cases and can ruin team chemistry. I think Haley and Pioli know what they're doing. He's a talent but our GM thinks his attitude effects the whole team.

the Talking Can
07-12-2009, 03:44 PM
we aren't even trying to replace Tony....omg we don't have another Tony already on the roster! who knew???

but your cut and paste skills remain elite....

Cormac
07-12-2009, 03:48 PM
winning the lockerroom is key. More of salary cap is going to younger players because vets can be head cases and can ruin team chemistry. I think Haley and Pioli know what they're doing. He's a talent but our GM thinks his attitude effects the whole team.

IMO, the best leadership comes from those who lead by example. Do we have another example of that on our team? Sure vets can be headcases but I don't mind HOF headcases who work extremely hard and take incredible pride in their body/accomplishments. Trading Gonzo sets us back significantly on offense, IMO. He's not a god, but he would have made installation of the new offense a hell of a lot easier, and helped build a lot of confidence in Cassell.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 03:52 PM
If we wanted a great receiver at TE we wouldn't have traded him. Gonzalez replacement will come from the WR position.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Todd Haley has said numerous times that every position is "wide open"

Mr. Arrowhead
If we wanted a great receiver at TE we wouldn't have traded him. Gonzalez replacement will come from the WR position.

This

Mr. Krab
Why do i get the feeling that KnoMo is really just a Chiefs fan that like screwing with people? He posts more Chiefs stuff than half the posters here.

milkman
07-12-2009, 03:56 PM
IMO, the best leadership comes from those who lead by example. Do we have another example of that on our team? Sure vets can be headcases but I don't mind HOF headcases who work extremely hard and take incredible pride in their body/accomplishments. Trading Gonzo sets us back significantly on offense, IMO. He's not a god, but he would have made installation of the new offense a hell of a lot easier, and helped build a lot of confidence in Cassell.

Yes, Tony worked hard, but he was a selfish player and selfishness is never a good influence in a team atmosphere.

Deberg_1990
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I will miss all the Super Bowl Trophies TG brought to KC....

googlegoogle
07-12-2009, 04:00 PM

not sure but having guys who don't want to be here for camp sends a tone to others.

these new vets Haley has signed up sets a bar for rooks.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 04:11 PM

I will miss all of his playoff wins.

Frazod
07-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I'll miss how he never whined about anything.

Bowser
07-12-2009, 04:16 PM
I'll miss Baja Fresh the most.

EyePod
07-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Getting rid of Tg was a ****ing stupid move. Stupid I tell ya. He has had his best years as of late and would have taken a lot of pressure off Cassel.

He did not want to play here. How long could he play for a team that was going no where? I'd have wanted out too.

Fairplay
07-12-2009, 04:25 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/07/11/replacing-gonzalez-proving-to-be-a-chore-in-kc

[B][SIZE="3"]Todd Haley declared the competition for the starting tight end job wide open, dispelling the widely believed thought that the spot belonged to Brad Cottam. From what we hear, Cottam, a 2008 third-round pick by the Chiefs and the favorite to capture the job, struggled mightily during offseason workouts, frequently dropping catchable passes.catcher at that spot.

How hard is it to catch a football. And TE's passes are generally 5-15 yard pass routes.

Embaressing. We need all offensive weapons seen as threats, not our TE as a blocking tool only.

orange
07-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I'll miss how he never whined about anything.

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be ample whining from the Chiefs in his absence. No team has ever had a shortage of that.

Fairplay
07-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I hope Gonzo gets a superbowl ring, he certainly deserves one. Maybe Atlanta can do it.

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Getting rid of Tg was a ****ing stupid move. Stupid I tell ya. He has had his best years as of late and would have taken a lot of pressure off Cassel.

Yea trading a old tight end for a 2nd round pick is a stupid. How many playoff games did the Chiefs win with Gonzalez?

L.A. Chieffan
07-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Yea trading a old tight end for a 2nd round pick is a stupid. How many playoff games did the Chiefs win with Gonzalez?

how many playoff games have the chiefs won?

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM

None with Gonzalez. Only Chiefs fans would think tight ends are important. Can you even name the the tight ends of the super bowl teams? The last team with a stud tight end was Shannon Sharpe with Baltimore.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Thats the point..

L.A. Chieffan
07-12-2009, 04:51 PM
None with Gonzalez. Only Chiefs fans would think tight ends are important. Can you even name the the tight ends of the super bowl teams? The last team with a stud tight end was Shannon Sharpe with Baltimore.

less talent is always better than more talent apparently

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 04:53 PM

You're right, a 2nd round draft pick has more value then a tight end. Second round picks are gold in the NFL. They are starters who are much cheaper then first round picks. Engram will fill in for Gonzalez on third downs and LJ will fill in for Gonzalez in the red zone.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 04:56 PM

I can't believe how much value people here give the TE position.

L.A. Chieffan
07-12-2009, 04:57 PM

i could give a fuck about tes. engram is a monster we're set at wr baby

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 04:58 PM

But how else are we going to run Herms 3 yard at a time offense?

L.A. Chieffan
07-12-2009, 04:59 PM
But how else are we going to run Herms 3 yard at a time offense?

herms not our coach anymore dude

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 05:00 PM
herms not our coach anymore dude

So why do you want to stick with the philosphy of the tight end is important to an offense?

LaChapelle
07-12-2009, 05:01 PM
If Jared Allen could do it, give Tamba a try.

L.A. Chieffan
07-12-2009, 05:01 PM
So why do you want to stick with the philosphy of the tight end is important to an offense?

youre not too bright are you?

the Talking Can
07-12-2009, 05:02 PM
1. You can't replace the best TE in the history of the NFL. The premise is dumb.

2. You don't build teams around a TE...unless, you're Carl Peterson and you're a stupid asshole and a failure. TE's are generally finishing pieces. If you have one great, if not, you can always draft one next year.

And trading Tony for a 2nd next year is the best thing Pioli has done since becoming GM. That pick will have incredible value for us next year when Haley and Pioli will have a much clearer idea about what our needs are, plus the pick gives us leverage to move up and down.

RustShack
It will be rare for TE's to see more than one pass come their way under Haley.

Chocolate Hog
youre not too bright are you?

This coming from someone who thinks trading a 33 year old tight end for a 2nd round pick is stupid.

BigRock
07-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Replacing Gonzalez proving to be a chore in K.C.
Posted July 11, 2009 @ 6:50 p.m.
By Michael Blunda

ROFL

Right out of the PFW handbook: taking something somebody said over a month ago (Haley's shocking statement that there will be competition) and trying to turn it into "news".

Deberg_1990

heh. Chiefs fans will be complaining for years how we need a Superstar TE again. Even if we win the next 3 ships in a row, they will still complain. I cant wait.

Chocolate Hog
1. You can't replace the best TE in the history of the NFL. The premise is dumb.

2. You don't build teams around a TE...unless, you're Carl Peterson and you're a stupid asshole and a failure. TE's are generally finishing pieces. If you have one great, if not, you can always draft one next year.

And trading Tony for a 2nd next year is the best thing Pioli has done since becoming GM. That pick will have incredible value for us next year when Haley and Pioli will have a much clearer idea about what our needs are, plus the pick gives us leverage to move up and down.

The best post of the day

L.A. Chieffan
07-12-2009, 05:04 PM
This coming from someone who thinks trading a 33 year old tight end for a 2nd round pick is stupid.

comprehension is not your friend

RustShack
07-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I'd rather focus on drafting a star WR than TE. Actually I'd rather get a star QB, RB, OT, OG, C, DE, NT, OLB, ILB, S, CB before I worry about getting a star TE.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 05:07 PM

:clap:

Gonzales: "I've never won a playoff game"( boo-hoo-hoo for the 8-millionth time ).

ROR: "Keep your fucking feet in-bounds, shit-for brains".

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 05:08 PM
I'd rather focus on drafting a star WR than TE. Actually I'd rather get a star QB, RB, OT, OG, C, DE, NT, OLB, ILB, S, CB before I worry about getting a star TE.

Yea. I think Pioli drafted the franchise NT & DE this draft. If so this draft was a success.

orange
07-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Yea. I think Pioli drafted the franchise NT & DE this draft. If so this draft was a success.

Who?

acesn8s
07-12-2009, 05:09 PM
If throwing to the TE takes away from the WR then no matter how good the TE is the team is falling short of its potential. The TE should be an outlet for the QB or the play should be designed to catch the defense off gaurd.

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Who?

Alex Magee.

Just Passin' By
07-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Alex Magee.

He's not a NT

L.A. Chieffan
07-12-2009, 05:14 PM
He's not a NT

that doesnt matter to pioli. he will be the greatest non-nt nt ever drafted by the chiefs

Just Passin' By
07-12-2009, 05:15 PM
that doesnt matter to pioli. he will be the greatest non-nt nt ever drafted by the chiefs

He's not playing NT.

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 05:15 PM
He's not a NT

If we're playing the Zona 3-4 defense he is.

orange
07-12-2009, 05:16 PM
that doesnt matter to pioli. he will be the greatest non-nt nt ever drafted by the chiefs since Boomer

CYP

Just Passin' By
If we're playing the Zona 3-4 defense he is.

Not according to the coaching staff and the media, he's not.

Mecca
Alex Magee.

He's an end in a 3-4...he's right around 300lbs.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
He's not a NT

I'm curious why people don't think he can be, yet those people want Tyler to be. Magee is an inch taller and weighs about five pounds less right now with room to grow...

L.A. Chieffan
07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
He's not playing NT.

i just told you he was

orange
07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm curious why people don't think he can be, yet those people want Tyler to be. Magee is an inch taller and weighs about five pounds less right now with room to grow...

There's been no indication that he's even been tried in the middle - has there?

Is this anything but wishful thinking?

FAX
07-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Only because our best, most consistent player during most of the last 12 years or so has been a tight end, Mr. RustShack.

The fact is that a Pro Bowl caliber TE can be a tremendous asset to an offense. That's why guys like Ozzy and Shabbomofft were highly valued. We'll miss TG and the odds of us acquiring a player with that 2nd round pick that comes anywhere close to equaling his overall contribution to the team are slim.

I'm okay with getting younger, etc. I'm not okay with continually trading away our best players (see Drunko the Bull Runner) when we have precious few studs in the stable to begin with and the local villagers are storming the ranch with torches and naughty words.

FAX

Chocolate Hog
He's an end in a 3-4...he's right around 300lbs.

In a traditonal 3-4 your right but look at Zona's 3-4. He's 15 pounds bigger then Dockett and an inch shorter. He played both at Purdue. Meh either way if he contribute thats a nice 3rd round pick.

Mecca

Well we don't have one, no one really wants to hear how we're missing key pieces so we may go 3-13 or something.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 05:20 PM
There's been no indication that he's even been tried in the middle - has there?

Is this anything but wishful thinking?

I think Ron Edwards will be the guy this year, but I just think its funny that people who think Tyler should be but someone with similar size can't.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:20 PM
In a traditonal 3-4 your right but look at Zona's 3-4. He's 15 pounds bigger then Dockett and an inch shorter. He played both at Purdue. Meh either way if he contribute thats a nice 3rd round pick.

I seriously hope they don't think it's a good idea to run that Zona defense which was pretty marginal with much better talent than we have.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I think Ron Edwards will be the guy this year, but I just think its funny that people who think Tyler should be but someone with similar size can't.

Well he was really fat once people remember that...

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I seriously hope they don't think it's a good idea to run that Zona defense which was pretty marginal with much better talent than we have.

Me either. Wade Phillips will be a DC next year yanno.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Me either. Wade Phillips will be a DC next year yanno.

Also going from cover 2 to any variant of the 3-4 is going to be an issue, we're going to see several guys who don't have a spot anymore.

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Also going from cover 2 to any variant of the 3-4 is going to be an issue, we're going to see several guys who don't have a spot anymore.

You mean Herm lied about the team being 85% built? Dammit

FAX
07-12-2009, 05:26 PM

Quite a few, ultimately. Like ... maybe all but two or three.

FAX

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:27 PM
You mean Herm lied about the team being 85% built? Dammit

That was so laughable when he said that, several of those guys were shitty in the system they were drafted for.

We have no linebackers, our secondary is really marginal, Flowers is pretty good Carr I'm not totally sold on, everyone knows I think we need new safeties...comically bad pass rush and that doesn't even mention offense.

DeezNutz
07-12-2009, 05:28 PM
That was so laughable when he said that, several of those guys were shitty in the system they were drafted for.

We have no linebackers, our secondary is really marginal, Flowers is pretty good Carr I'm not totally sold on, everyone knows I think we need new safeties...comically bad pass rush and that doesn't even mention offense.

Bullshit. Two words:

Hall. EEE.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:28 PM

FAX

Probably but I was being nice I didn't wanna get into a major argument about it.

DeezNutz
07-12-2009, 05:29 PM

FAX

Just another Mecca ball licker...

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Bullshit. Two words:

Hall. EEE.

I hate Tamba Hali, If I was hired as GM I'd cut him 5 seconds after I was announced.

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 05:30 PM

Really? I like a washed up Thomas & Vrbael more then Pat Thomas and whoever else. I think DJ might do good in the 3-4 and maybe if they just use Hali on obvious throwing downs. The Secondary yea I like Flowers, will be curious to see if Donald Washington is any good, and like I said before Mike Brown is a play maker when he plays.

DeezNutz
07-12-2009, 05:30 PM
I hate Tamba Hali, If I was hired as GM I'd cut him 5 seconds after I was announced.

Thank you, everyone. It's a pleasure to be here. First, I'd like to say that Tamba Hali has been released. Now, regarding my appointment...

Count Zarth
07-12-2009, 05:31 PM
I think the title is misleading. We'll only know if it's going to be a chore when the regular season hits.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm curious to see what Hali can do back at 250.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Really? I like a washed up Thomas & Vrbael more then Pat Thomas and whoever else. I think DJ might do good in the 3-4 and maybe if they just use Hali on obvious throwing downs. The Secondary yea I like Flowers, will be curious to see if Donald Washington is any good, and like I said before Mike Brown is a play maker when he plays.

I'll be surprised if Vrabel and Thomas play 16 games but that's the nature of the position we're in.

This team is a major work in progress missing several key positions.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM

I'm going to guess that it will involve getting injured and some announcer talking about his "bad feet".

DeezNutz
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I think the title is misleading. We'll only know if it's going to be a chore when the regular season hits.

Actually, the title is one of the more obvious statements that I've seen made on this forum for awhile, well, at least today.

It's going to be a chore to replace the greatest TE ever to play? No fucking shit...

Now, the real question is whether our new offense will necessitate a TE of this caliber. All money is on no, so it's a bit of a moot point.

orange
07-12-2009, 05:34 PM

... Playing a position he's never played before.

Most likely we still won't know for sure a year from now.

Count Zarth
This team is a major work in progress missing several key positions.

Hire Mecca NOW!

DeezNutz
I'm going to guess that it will involve getting injured and some announcer talking about his "bad feet".

...as he gets helped off the ground after being pancaked.

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 05:35 PM
So who thinks Turk Mcbride wont be on the 53 man roster

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:36 PM
...as he gets helped off the ground after being pancaked.

Or some player makes him look laughably bad running around...Hali is the guy who got beat around the edge by Trent Edwards, let's remember that.

Mecca

I don't know why they want him to play standing up it doesn't make any sense...

Count Zarth

God, I hope so. I'm getting tired of people saying he's "solid."

DeezNutz
Or some player makes him look laughably bad running around...Hali is the guy who got beat around the edge by Trent Edwards, let's remember that.

Kill yourself for forcing me to remember this shit.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 05:37 PM
... Playing a position he's never played before.

Most likely we still won't know for sure a year from now.

Most 3-4 OLB's have never played the position before. Hali at least was used as a stand up rusher at times with Penn St. I really don't think he will be great, but I think back at his normal playing weight he will be serviceable and maybe even healthy.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 05:38 PM

I'll be pissed if he makes it ever Studebacker or Walters.

DeezNutz
07-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Most 3-4 OLB's have never played the position before.

Great point, but most are also athletic freaks of nature.

Hali? Yeah, not at all.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Most 3-4 OLB's have never played the position before. Hali at least was used as a stand up rusher at times with Penn St. I really don't think he will be great, but I think back at his normal playing weight he will be serviceable and maybe even healthy.

The difference is most ends that go to 3-4 OLB, are undersized speed rushers with great natural athletic gifts. Tamba Hali isn't that...go back and look at his draft workout numbers...

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
The thing about Hali is I remember in 06' when Gunther would use the Falcon defense which looked like a 3-4 Hali did good but he wasn't asked to cover. Which is why he's not an every down 3-4 player. Williams should start and Hali should play obvious throwing downs.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 05:42 PM
The thing about Hali is I remember in 06' when Gunther would use the Falcon defense which looked like a 3-4 Hali did good but he wasn't asked to cover. Which is why he's not an every down 3-4 player. Williams should start and Hali should play obvious throwing downs.

Williams is really small to be lining up like that....I don't think he has a position.

Count Zarth
07-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Beisel would start if Hali didn't.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Williams is really small to be lining up like that....I don't think he has a position.

I actually like Williams at ILB a lot even though he is a bit undersized.

acesn8s
07-12-2009, 06:20 PM
that doesnt matter to pioli. he will be the greatest non-nt nt ever drafted by the chiefsAre we drafting players to play a position that they have never played again?:grr:

Just Passin' By
07-12-2009, 06:22 PM

I haven't seen enough of him to evaluate him personally. My references were based upon what the team's doing with him. However, you really want to see 325 lbs or more on the nose in today's game. When you look at the best NTs in the game (guys like Ngata, Wilfork, Hampton and Williams), you're looking at a whole lot of beef on the hoof.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 06:40 PM
I haven't seen enough of him to evaluate him personally. My references were based upon what the team's doing with him. However, you really want to see 325 lbs or more on the nose in today's game. When you look at the best NTs in the game (guys like Ngata, Wilfork, Hampton and Williams), you're looking at a whole lot of beef on the hoof.

Thats why I don't think he will be one this year if ever, but hes also shorter than you want your DE's too.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Getting rid of Tg was a fucking stupid move. Stupid I tell ya. He has had his best years as of late and would have taken a lot of pressure off Cassel.

I don't wanna second guess the decision at this point, but I am concerned about this offense without a 2nd reliable pass-catcher. If Bradley could stay healthy we'd be golden, but the odds aren't in our favor.

Who knows if Haley can make something of Webb or Darling.

I am somewhat excited about what Engram brings to this offense, but he's meant to play in the slot. We need a healthy, reliable, and productive #2. Either that's you Mark Bradley...or someone needs to be on the phone with Matt Jones or someone else still available.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't wanna second guess the decision at this point, but I am concerned about this offense without a 2nd reliable pass-catcher. If Bradley could stay healthy we'd be golden, but the odds aren't in our favor.

Who knows if Haley can make something of Webb or Darling.

I am somewhat excited about what Engram brings to this offense, but he's meant to play in the slot. We need a healthy, reliable, and productive #2. Either that's you Mark Bradley...or someone needs to be on the phone with Matt Jones or someone else still available.

I'm surprised someone hasn't signed Jones already.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't signed Jones already.

I'm more surprised that Haley's content with the pieces he has at WR.
He must be supremely confident in his ability to get the most out of them.
I'm not so sure...

I'm really hoping I'm way off here and that this is much less pressing than I believe it to be now.

We'll see once the pre-season starts...
Jones would definitely be on speed dial though.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Bowe, Bradley, and Engram can be a pretty deadly trio. Hell DVD as a fourth option isn't bad at all either.

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm not so sure...

I'm really hoping I'm way off here and that this is much less pressing than I believe it to be now.

What do ya mean? I've said this before this is the best WR core the Chiefs have had in sometime. Bowe is a beast, Bradley can stretch the field, and Engram is money on 3rd down. If the Chiefs can get any production from LJ & Charles this will be a good offense.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm not so sure...

I'm thinking camp and full pads are all they're waiting on in terms of making a final decision. That said, if they can get a good price they should jump now because Jones' problems are the kind that can be fixed much easier than the others on that list.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Bowe, Bradley, and Engram can be a pretty deadly trio. Hell DVD as a fourth option isn't bad at all either.

As pass heavy as this offense will be, too much depth is just about enough.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 09:57 PM
What do ya mean? I've said this before this is the best WR core the Chiefs have had in sometime. Bowe is a beast, Bradley can stretch the field, and Engram is money on 3rd down. If the Chiefs can get any production from LJ & Charles this will be a good offense.

Mark Bradley hasn't been able to stay on the field.
He's easily this team's 2nd best pass-catcher after Bowe.
If he goes down... You have either Darling, Webb, or a 36-year old Engram vying for the starting job. Darling and Webb are major underchievers. Who knows whether or not Engram can be counted on.

Without a good #2 Bowe's gonna see a lot of double teams.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 09:58 PM

IF Bradley can stay healthy. I think history has proven that to be unlikely.

Pioli Zombie
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Ok ya'll know I'm a Pioli butt boy. But to even insinuate this a good receiver corp right now would be delusional. there will be other moves. The TG trade was not about 2009. It was about the long term. It won't be pretty this year. Look for defensive improvement and hope for a 5-11 record and be patient.
Posted via Mobile Device

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 10:00 PM
IF Bradley can stay healthy. I think history has proven that to be unlikely.

Right, but we DO have a system that places a premium on physical conditioning so we might not have seen the best of him yet.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Ok ya'll know I'm a Pioli butt boy. But to even insinuate this a good receiver corp right now would be delusional. there will be other moves. The TG trade was not about 2009. It was about the long term. It won't be pretty this year. Look for defensive improvement and hope for a 5-11 record and be patient.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm willing to be patient.
What I'm wondering though is why you'd stunt the growth of ascending players like Bowe and Cassel who need another reliable target to take the pressure off of both of them and contribute to their maturation? If there were NO options available to help improve the corps you might have an argument.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Right, but we DO have a system that places a premium on physical conditioning so we might not have seen the best of him yet.

I think being in better physical condition will help, but it's not as though he began his career in Kansas City. Furthermore, it's not like the injury bug just got his address last season. He's always struggled to stay healthy.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm willing to be patient.
What I'm wondering though is why you'd stunt the growth of ascending players like Bowe and Cassel who need another reliable target to take the pressure off of both of them and contribute to their maturation? If there were NO options available to help improve the corps you might have an argument.

Maybe Haley would rather Cassel get used to the system instead of stunting his growth and running the old system that utilizes the TE.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Engram is our new Gonzalez, he just plays at a position Haley wants to use instead of TE.

Halfcan
07-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Losing Tony G will be huge for the Chiefs-pretty dumb move on their part.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't understand the move.

You spent a 2nd round pick on a QB. You should do everything in your power to surround him with as many weapons as possible so he can succeed.

If Cassel doesn't light it up in the first few weeks, I can tell you what will happen. The fans will turn on him, will boo him off the field, and will scream for Thigpen to start. I wish it weren't true, but it's the sad reality.

And trading away your #1 target and not doing much to shore up the o-line doesn't help Cassel.

Jethopper
07-12-2009, 10:10 PM
The best player at his position ever will be hard to replace?

splatbass
07-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Yup. TE isn't an important position in Haley's offense. They obviously didn't want to spend that kind of money on one.

Raised On Riots
I think being in better physical condition will help, but it's not as though he began his career in Kansas City. Furthermore, it's not like the injury bug just got his address last season. He's always struggled to stay healthy.

Where was he at before KC? Didn't he come from OSU?

Mecca
That's fine in theory we just don't have those receivers at the moment.

Pioli Zombie
07-12-2009, 10:12 PM

You spent a 2nd round pick on a QB. You should do everything in your power to surround him with as many weapons as possible so he can succeed.

If Cassel doesn't light it up in the first few weeks, I can tell you what will happen. The fans will turn on him, will boo him off the field, and will scream for Thigpen to start. I wish it weren't true, but it's the sad reality.

And trading away your #1 target and not doing much to shore up the o-line doesn't help Cassel.

If that is true then Chief fans are dumbfucks and Haley is a failure for listening to fans.
Posted via Mobile Device

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe Haley would rather Cassel get used to the system instead of stunting his growth and running the old system that utilizes the TE.

I'm fine with that. Give him another WR then.

Count Zarth
07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
That's fine in theory we just don't have those receivers at the moment.

If the Chiefs run the ball well enough, they have the receivers to field a competent passing attack.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 10:15 PM
If that is true then Chief fans are dumbfucks and Haley is a failure for listening to fans.
Posted via Mobile Device

Um that's what fans do, a bunch of people thought Thigpen was the answer. If Cassel isn't awesome people are going to go nuts.

Raised On Riots
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

I fall somewhere in the middle of his take, but you'll never see me "screaming for Thigpen" unless it involves getting his attention to keep him from getting run over by a moving vehicle or some such scenario.

Micjones
Engram is our new Gonzalez, he just plays at a position Haley wants to use instead of TE.

Which is fine. I'm not suggesting that we rely on a Tight End to give us WR-type production.

But with Engram being only half as productive at the position...it pressurize Bowe's situation.

I'm excited about Engram, but I believe his biggest contribution will be on Third Downs. I'm looking for someone who can stretch the field and give Engram the middle part of the field to work with.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:17 PM

OK we trade a 2nd round pick, we get a franchise QB in his 20's AND a seasoned veteran who is one of the best at his position in a scheme we are switching to.

We trade an old TE for a second round pick, TE is also a position of little value and even less in our new scheme considering we won't use it very often.

QB has a lot more value that TE, LB is also more valuable not to mention BOTH. Gonzalez himself didn't even think anyone would trade a 2nd round pick for him.

Engram brings exactly the same thing Gonzalez does, just at a position our new offense will utilize.

Micjones
Where was he at before KC? Didn't he come from OSU?

He played in Chicago prior to coming to Kansas City.

Mecca
At his age it's really hard to project what Engram is going to do.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 10:18 PM
You KNOW they're going to double team Bowe all day long until one of the other guys shows themselves to be a legitimate threat.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 10:18 PM
He played in Chicago prior to coming to Kansas City.

Did he and Leggitt come at the same time?

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:19 PM
At his age it's really hard to project what Engram is going to do.

Agreed.

I'm HOPING for 500 yards 3-5 TD's.
I'd be surprised if he gave us anything more than that.
And that's not #2 WR type production so... If Bradley's injury problems continue... We're in trouble.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:20 PM
You KNOW they're going to double team Bowe all day long until one of the other guys shows themselves to be a legitimate threat.

You can't double team Bowe with Jones on the other side.
Well you could, but you'd get gouged by Jones and Engram.

Mecca
Agreed.

I'm HOPING for 500 yards 3-5 TD's.
I'd be surprised if he gave us anything more than that.
And that's not #2 WR type production so... If Bradley's injury problems continue... We're in trouble.

This is why the Chiefs are like a 4 win team.

RustShack
You don't expect a new HC and GM to turn it around the first year anyways, maybe they plan on drafting a WR early next year. Maybe they wanted a 2nd round pick next year vs this year because they wanted to wait until Pioli had his own scouting department in place and so everyone was on the same page.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:21 PM

2008 was the first season for both Leggett and Bradley, so yes.

RustShack

Legget came as an undrafted free agent a few years ago.. we picked Bradly up during the season last year..

Raised On Riots
You can't double team Bowe with Jones on the other side.
Well you could, but you'd get gouged by Jones and Engram.

Precisely!

Halfcan
07-12-2009, 10:22 PM
OK we trade a 2nd round pick, we get a franchise QB in his 20's AND a seasoned veteran who is one of the best at his position in a scheme we are switching to.

We trade an old TE for a second round pick, TE is also a position of little value and even less in our new scheme considering we won't use it very often.

QB has a lot more value that TE, LB is also more valuable not to mention BOTH. Gonzalez himself didn't even think anyone would trade a 2nd round pick for him.

Engram brings exactly the same thing Gonzalez does, just at a position our new offense will utilize.

Engram=TG??? really I think the stats would disagree.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Um Matt Jones isn't even good.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:24 PM

I think he means that Engram's hands are just as reliable.
And I agree... I just think he plays a different position, the slot, and won't give us the kind of everydown contribution that Gonzalez did.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:24 PM

He's plenty #2 WR good. And if he joined the team he'd be our 2nd best WR in the time it took him to pick his jersey number.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Legget came as an undrafted free agent a few years ago.. we picked Bradly up during the season last year..

No shit? I guess the vets were keeping him on the bench.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 10:25 PM
He's plenty #2 WR good.

If you can't make it as a WR in Jacksonville you are not good.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:26 PM

Gonzo does basically what Engram does from another position. Neither are deep threats, they are sure hands when you need it in the middle of the field. If Engram was always on a poor team where he was forced to be to top threat then the stats would agree.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Jones' lot in JAX wasn't solely based on performance. He was their best WR with a bullet last year.

Do you honestly think that a WR who snags 65 balls and racks up 700+ receiving yards doesn't provide protection for Bowe?

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Is he "I'd rather rape myself with a toilet brush"-bad?:D

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:28 PM
No shit? I guess the vets were keeping him on the bench.

What the fuck are you even talking about with him?

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 10:30 PM
What the fuck are you even talking about with him?

Well, if he came a few years ago, I never noticed him starting until last year.

Mecca
07-12-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm also not a big fan of signing guys who get busted for snorting coke in their car.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm also not a big fan of signing guys who get busted for snorting coke in their car.

Emmit and Micheal disapprove of this post.:evil:

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM

2008 was the first time he made the team. He was an undrafted free agent the same year.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:36 PM

Actually maybe he didn't come a few years ago.. I'm thinking of Brackenridge..

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:36 PM
2008 was the first time he made the team.

Yeah I caught myself!

Mecca
07-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I'll be happy when the team is good so we don't have to discuss how we hope we get production from crappy dudes.

Blick
07-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Don't forget about the Quinten Lawrence kid we drafted in the 6th round this year. He gives us some much needed speed.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 10:39 PM
I'll be happy when the team is good so we don't have to discuss how we hope we get production from crappy dudes.

ROFL This.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:43 PM

Doesn't have to be Jones. He's but one option.

BUT...
I guess I don't get riled up as some about athletes in Jones position.
My expectation of Professional Sports culture, which is often ANYTHING BUT moral, is a little different.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Maybe, just maybe Pioli plans on signing Burress.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:51 PM

I can't understand the advantage in waiting to do so...
His court date is in September IIRC.

It's not like he'll have a real idea of what Burress' fate will be prior to the season starting.

If he'd brought him in 2 months ago he'd be very well conditioned, partially acclimated to the offense, AND in the beginning stages of developing some chemistry with his QB.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:53 PM

It's not like he'll have a real idea of what Burress' fate will be prior to the season starting.

If he'd brought him in 2 months ago he'd be very well conditioned, partially acclimated to the offense, AND in the beginning stages of developing some chemistry with his QB.

Because like the rest of the NFL, they don't want to sign someone unless they know he can play. If Burress is smart, he will at least be keeping in shape.

Raised On Riots
07-12-2009, 11:01 PM

Based on what we've seen so far, I'd say Jones is more of a "Pioli guy" than Burress.
And if Burress gets cleared, I'll bet the farm he goes "across town" to Rex Ryan.

Saccopoo
07-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Sweet Baby Jesus! This could be the beginning of my 2010 draft dream scenario, where the Chiefs take Jermaine Gresham!

Mecca
07-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Sweet Baby Jesus! This could be the beginning of my 2010 draft dream scenario, where the Chiefs take Jermaine Gresham!

Oh great a high pick TE.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Because like the rest of the NFL, they don't want to sign someone unless they know he can play. If Burress is smart, he will at least be keeping in shape.

They'd have every opportunity to work Burress out and give him a physical before they ever even presented a contract. You aren't going to get a good read on a player without bringing him in. Waiting doesn't afford you any information on him either.

Raised On Riots
07-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Oh great a high pick TE.

It's been done here before + high pick DE = count nothing out.

Mecca
07-13-2009, 12:11 AM
If Burress is smart he'll sign with the Jets...perfect fit.

JohnnyV13
07-13-2009, 12:17 AM

Its not exactly like Gonzalez is a run of the mill tight end. He's a possession receiver and a very good one, which is clearly a valuable offensive commodity.

We DO need to replace Gonzalez, but not necessarily with a tight end.

For all the people who try to dismiss Gonzalez's value by saying "how many playoff games did we win with him", well...how many playoff games did we win with Willie Roaf? Obviously, left tackle is a meaningless position.

How many playoff games did we win with Priest Holmes? Obviously, a multi-faceted running back like Holmes is meaningless.

How many super bowls did we win with Derrick Thomas? Obviously, a pass rushing linebacker is worthless.

How many playoff games did James Hasty win in KC? Obviously, a physical shut down corner is irrelevant to our playoff success.

How many playoff games did we win with Deron Cherry? Obviously a useless player that wasn't really meaningful to building a championship squad.

Championship teams can be built in many ways. Priest Holmes and Tony Gonazlez were the two weapons that drove our dominant offenses during the frist half of the millenium. Holmes and Gonzalez reallly strained the linebackers and safeties, which opened things up for mediocre receivers like Eddie Kennison to make plays. An unusual way to build a dominant offense, but certainly it worked. That offense was good enough to win a championship, but we didn't develop the other side of the ball.

Hell, the "Vermeil strategy" failed not due to philosophy, but due to bad drafting.

The fact is, Vermeil had an incredible year and a half run of offensive talent acquisition.

He added Trent Green, Eddie Kennison, Willie Roaf, Priest Holmes, and Casey Weigman within a very short span of time. The only real mistake was WR Johnny Morton. Most of those guys were spare parts, only Roaf was a starter.

If we had any kind of reasonable drafting, the "Vermeil plan" would have worked. About the only useful players drafted under Vermeil were LJ and Jared Allen (plus maybe Scott Fujita).

RustShack
07-13-2009, 12:23 AM
We DO need to replace Gonzalez, but not necessarily with a tight end.

Willie Roaf? Obviously, left tackle is a meaningless position.

How many playoff games did we win with Priest Holmes? Obviously, a multi-faceted running back like Holmes is meaningless.

How many super bowls did we win with Derrick Thomas? Obviously, a pass rushing linebacker is worthless.

How many playoff games did James Hasty win in KC? Obviously, a physical shut down corner is irrelevant to our playoff success.

How many playoff games did we win with Deron Cherry? Obviously a useless player that wasn't really meaningful to building a championship squad

We did replace our possession receiver TE with a possession receiver WR. Our team still has those sure hands in the middle now. As for your statements about the positions, it was said the last team with a premier TE was Sharpe and you go ahead and say other positions suck because the Chiefs haven't done it.. sad

Raised On Riots
07-13-2009, 12:41 AM
If Burress is smart he'll sign with the Jets...perfect fit.

They definitely want him. The fans aren't against it either.

Just Passin' By
07-13-2009, 06:58 AM

Burress antagonized two great NFL organizations enough that they both let him go. He's a pain in the ass. Pioli isn't going to bring that sort of garbage into the fold. He can't change the culture of the team for the better if he brings in turds like Buress.

Raised On Riots
07-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Burress antagonized two great NFL organizations enough that they both let him go. He's a pain in the ass. Pioli isn't going to bring that sort of garbage into the fold. He can't change the culture of the team for the better if he brings in turds like Buress.

Receivers are by and large prima donnas. You're going to get The Stupid in some way, shape, or form to varying degrees.

There's no getting around this.

Rooster
07-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Cottam needs to change his ghey facemask. It would help him catch the ball.

Raised On Riots
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Cottam needs to change his ghey facemask. It would help him catch the ball.

Worthless without...you know.:D

Buehler445
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Receivers are by and large prima donnas. You're going to get The Stupid in some way, shape, or form to varying degrees.

There's no getting around this.

There are lots of receivers who aren't bitches. Elite ones even.

Wayne
Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Welker
Calvin Johnson
Bowe (hopefully)
Roddy White (except when he was bitching about Vick, but that's acceptable)
Greg Jennings

I'm sure I'm missing some. You don't have to be a dumb cunt to be a WR. It isn't prerequisite.
Posted via Mobile Device

Raised On Riots
07-13-2009, 10:31 AM
There are lots of receivers who aren't bitches. Elite ones even.

Wayne
Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Welker
Calvin Johnson
Bowe (hopefully)
Roddy White (except when he was bitching about Vick, but that's acceptable)
Greg Jennings

I'm sure I'm missing some. You don't have to be a dumb cunt to be a WR. It isn't prerequisite.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm willing to bet there are two bitches for every one name on that list.

Rooster
07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Worthless without...you know.:D

It just bugs me. :)

MVChiefFan
07-13-2009, 10:53 AM
It just bugs me. :)

That's that "Revolution" design...I hate it too.

Raised On Riots
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Meh. It's not that bad:

http://www.nflfootballhelmetshop.com/kacich2.html

chiefzilla1501
07-13-2009, 01:08 PM
We did replace our possession receiver TE with a possession receiver WR. Our team still has those sure hands in the middle now. As for your statements about the positions, it was said the last team with a premier TE was Sharpe and you go ahead and say other positions suck because the Chiefs haven't done it.. sad

Engram at this stage of his career is a replacement, but he is a major downgrade. They are two entirely different players. Engram is a sure-handed option who runs crisp routes and will throw anything you throw at him, while Gonzalez is a crisp route runner, gigantic target, and a guy who can make plays happen. Gonzalez is a guy who draws double- and triple-teams; Engram is a guy who typically benefits off of other receivers.

I like Engram in a Ricky Proehl type role, but at his age, he is not even close to the calibre of player Gonzalez is.

chiefzilla1501
07-13-2009, 01:12 PM

I disagree. I think Jones and Reggie Williams are maybe worth a look.

I'm more concerned about players who show a consistent pattern of bad behavior, like Koren Robinson. Williams falls into that category for sure, but Jones really doesn't. Jones was actually becoming Garrard's favorite target before he was suspended. If the Chiefs can get him motivated, he could be a pretty reliable #2 option. What do the Chiefs really have to lose at this point? They can't rely on Mark Bradley to be their #2 receiver when he can't stay on the field.

I"ve also believed that Jacksonville has one of the most retarded offenses in football, so maybe he could benefit from a different system.

acesn8s
07-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Losing Tony G will be huge for the Chiefs-pretty dumb move on their part.I disagree. I think it forces the rest of the team to step up. I think we will be better for it.

acesn8s
07-14-2009, 03:28 PM
I"ve also believed that Jacksonville has one of the most retarded offenses in football, so maybe he could benefit from a different system.Definitely an offense that performs under their ability.

HemiEd
07-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Oh no! Next you are going to tell me, we don't have a pro bowl full back, or pro bowl guard!

We are so fucked!

TEX
07-15-2009, 04:42 PM
I disagree. I think it forces the rest of the team to step up. I think we will be better for it.

Shit is still shit even if it steps up...

Hog Farmer
09-30-2009, 06:36 PM
You're right, a 2nd round draft pick has more value then a tight end. Second round picks are gold in the NFL. They are starters who are much cheaper then first round picks. Engram will fill in for Gonzalez on third downs and LJ will fill in for Gonzalez in the red zone.

Gee, I guess you were mistaken!

WildTurkey
09-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Oh we did replace him.... we have his holiness

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/johnnyd123_photo/pope-benedict.jpg

GoHuge
09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Who is this Tony Gonzalez you people speak of?

Mr_Tomahawk
09-30-2009, 07:06 PM
...Patrick Swayze?