PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cassel would be WISE to sign a large multi-year deal soon.

Ari Chi3fs
07-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Im just sayin'

We have a suspect line... and we went through QB's like water last year... a serious injury isn't out of the question.

Sign a long term deal... and don't risk it. Seriously, what are you thinking? :eek:

rambleonthruthefog
07-12-2009, 08:35 PM
i don't think pioli wants to sign him to a long term deal until he sees what hes got for a third or so of the season.

KCBOSS1
07-12-2009, 08:37 PM
i don't think pioli wants to sign him to a long term deal until he sees what hes got for a third or so of the season.

That's exactly right, I hope.

KCBOSS1
07-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm just not there with all of the hype yet. I still think that he needs some proving time.

Valiant
07-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Im just sayin'

We have a suspect line... and we went through QB's like water last year... a serious injury isn't out of the question.

Sign a long term deal... and don't risk it. Seriously, what are you thinking? :eek:

Where have you been for the last 6months to ask this question???

Cassel would love to sign a long-term contract.. Thankfully the Chiefs are not that dumb and want to see how he does without Moss/Welker.. If he does well then he gets a big long term contract.. If he sucks, we are drafting a QB..

RustShack
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm sure Pioli wants to wait until he can sign him cheaper...

Count Zarth
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Must suck to be Matt Cassel. Oh no, I might get injured and settle for $14 million!

FAX
07-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Good point, Mr. Ari Chi3fs. Very good point. There's another consideration, also.

Cassel's value was promoted by the Pats and Billy B about as well as any product ever marketed (except maybe New Coke which sucked on purpose forcing people to demand Old Coke). Colonel Parker couldn't have handled his PR better. In fact, franchising him when they did served to elevate his status in the league and his star shot up like a backwards meteor blazing through the night sky like a backwards meteor blazing through the night sky. The thing is, though, that the only direction he can go in now is down. Kind of like a forwards meteor. Unless, that is, he demonstrates extraordinary ability on the field and generates sufficient wins to convince league GMs and coaches that he is, in fact, the real deal. Given our overall situation, that's unlikely.

FAX

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I Disagree. He's proven he can make plays the only question is can he be a leader.

KCBOSS1
07-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I really didn't see him play a lot. I know this has been hashed out. I just want to see him for a full season in Arrowhead to see what he's made of.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't think Cassel has any problem signing long term, its the Chiefs who don't want overpay longterm.

Reaper16
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
You don't trade a second-round pick for a QB that might not be worth a long-term deal.

LaChapelle
07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
They need to make the cap minimum. The one year tender helps. A lot.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 09:49 PM
You don't trade a second-round pick for a QB that might not be worth a long-term deal.

You don't stick with him unless you are sure hes the guy either. Pioli can sign him long term for a lot less during the season if Cassel isn't playing like a Pro Bowler, which is next to impossible your first year with a team, especially a team like this.

Basileus777
07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Water is wet.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Its not like Cassel can just walk away after this year either, he will be a restricted free agent so we don't even have to franchise him.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Its not like Cassel can just walk away after this year either, he will be a restricted free agent so we don't even have to franchise him.

*And the thread ends*

I said this a month ago.

Reaper16
07-12-2009, 09:55 PM
You don't stick with him unless you are sure hes the guy either. Pioli can sign him long term for a lot less during the season if Cassel isn't playing like a Pro Bowler, which is next to impossible your first year with a team, especially a team like this.
If Cassel ends up "not being the guy," then Pioli would deserve to be fired.

orange
07-12-2009, 09:57 PM

~$15.7 million - that's how much the tender will cost.

So why on earth would Cassel take a low-ball offer from the Chiefs in mid-season?

(presuming it's even possible - see http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=210248 about this)

RustShack
07-12-2009, 09:58 PM

For blowing a 2nd round pick on a QB and a veteran LB to help make the transition? Thats a little extreme.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:00 PM
~$15.7 million - that's how much the tender will cost.

He will likely have a deal before that time comes, and it will be a hell of a lot less than it would be if he signs one now.. even if you add the 14 mil hes making this year. Or if he does light it up this year and earns the big money deal, well you aren't losing anything this year either anyways. It makes no sense to sign him now other than just to say you have it done.

Reaper16
07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
For blowing a 2nd round pick on a QB and a veteran LB to help make the transition? Thats a little extreme.
For a franchise that desperately needs a franchise QB, and was in prime position to draft a franchise prospect, you only forgo that chance if you're dead fucking sure in a QB that you can trade for. Trading a high second for a QB that you don't believe in while simultaneously forsaking the opportunity to draft a legit QB prospect is so antithetical to good franchise management that I refuse to think Pioli is dumb enough to do it.

We're just going to revert to old, pre-draft arguments here if this discussion keeps up, though.

BarrySPAMAID
07-12-2009, 10:20 PM
For a franchise that desperately needs a franchise QB, and was in prime position to draft a franchise prospect, you only forgo that chance if you're dead ****ing sure in a QB that you can trade for. Trading a high second for a QB that you don't believe in while simultaneously forsaking the opportunity to draft a legit QB prospect is so antithetical to good franchise management that I refuse to think Pioli is dumb enough to do it.

We're just going to revert to old, pre-draft arguments here if this discussion keeps up, though.

Interesting stance. Same as mine. This is why I have no worries about Matt Cassel. Pioli decided to bring him here. Ergo, case closed.

milkman
07-12-2009, 10:37 PM

Cassel would love to sign a long-term contract.. Thankfully the Chiefs are not that dumb and want to see how he does without Moss/Welker.. If he does well then he gets a big long term contract.. If he sucks, we are drafting a QB..

Oh Jesus.

We've been through this already.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:38 PM
For a franchise that desperately needs a franchise QB, and was in prime position to draft a franchise prospect, you only forgo that chance if you're dead fucking sure in a QB that you can trade for. Trading a high second for a QB that you don't believe in while simultaneously forsaking the opportunity to draft a legit QB prospect is so antithetical to good franchise management that I refuse to think Pioli is dumb enough to do it.

What if we drafted the QB who barely has any experience and hes a bust, signed to a major deal. Fire him for not trading for Cassel?

Reaper16
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
What if we drafted the QB who barely has any experience and hes a bust, signed to a major deal. Fire him for not trading for Cassel?
No. Not at all. Do I really have to explain the difference?

Mecca
07-12-2009, 10:42 PM

If you really believe that we just hired the dumbest GM in history.

RustShack
07-12-2009, 10:44 PM
No. Not at all. Do I really have to explain the difference?

Nah I know the difference between blowing the #3 pick and trading a 2nd round pick on two positions of need.

Micjones
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM

Do you honestly believe that giving $30 million dollars of guaranteed money to a QB who has never played a down in the NFL was LESS of a gamble than giving basically half to one who has had success in the league?

Reaper16
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Nah I know the difference between blowing the #3 pick and trading a 2nd round pick on two positions of need.
huruuuuuuuuuurgh.

Reaper16
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Do you honestly believe that giving $30 million dollars of guaranteed money to a QB who has never played a down in the NFL was LESS of a gamble than giving basically half to one who has had success in the league?
Its not any more of a gamble. Dealing for Cassel actually makes less sense, historically.

But I have faith enough in Pioli that I [begrudgingly] trust his decision despite it being retarded on it's face.

BigMeatballDave
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
He's getting 14 mil this year. He's not hurtin'...

Basileus777
07-12-2009, 11:00 PM

ROFL

You don't fire a GM over one decision.

Reaper16
07-12-2009, 11:03 PM
ROFL

QB decisions are pretty damn important.

DeezNutz
07-12-2009, 11:05 PM
ROFL

I guess we could justify it with the domino effect that would occur when the organization would have to make a bunch of moves to recover from this one (potentially) epically brutal one.

Basileus777
07-12-2009, 11:09 PM
I guess we could justify it with the domino effect that would occur when the organization would have to make a bunch of moves to recover from this one (potentially) epically brutal one.

There's no justifying it. Firing someone for one decision is the kind of crazy management that leads to Al Davis firing his coaches every year. The last thing an owner should be doing is making knee-jerk reactions based on a small sample size.

Reaper16
07-12-2009, 11:11 PM
There's no justifying it. Firing someone for one decision is the kind of crazy management that leads to Al Davis firing his coaches every year. The last thing an owner should be doing is making knee-jerk reactions based on a small sample size.
Its not just one decision. Its likely THE MOST IMPORTANT decision of his entire tenure with the Chiefs.

BigMeatballDave
07-12-2009, 11:12 PM
If Cassel ends up "not being the guy," then Pioli would deserve to be fired.:spock: ROFL Whatever...

DeezNutz
07-12-2009, 11:14 PM

It won't happen. Pioli will be here, most likely, for at least 5 years.

Basileus777
07-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Its not just one decision. Its likely THE MOST IMPORTANT decision of his entire tenure with the Chiefs.

Maybe, but there's no way to know that. And it's still one decision. You don't fire a GM after one year because he traded a second round pick for a quarterback and it didn't work out. It's not even a reasonable option.

DeezNutz
07-12-2009, 11:16 PM

Probably true.

Ari Chi3fs
07-13-2009, 12:54 AM
wow... 40+ posts on a Football thread!! woo hoo!

ChiefJustice
07-13-2009, 05:30 AM
QB decisions are pretty damn important.

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=29760

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gqAypbgaUKM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Just Passin' By
07-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Why should Cassel run to sign a contract? He's making enough money this year to keep him set for life. If the Chiefs want to wait, let them wait. If they try to hose him on their offers, he can just look elsewhere after the season.

Chiefnj2
07-13-2009, 07:30 AM
ROFL

Lets rebuild the entire organization every two years when a GM makes a bad decision. That's how champions are built.

Old Dog
07-13-2009, 08:22 AM
I just want to see him for a full season in Arrowhead to see what he's made of.
With him playing behind this line we may indeed get to see exactly what he's made of when it spills all over the field.

Short Leash Hootie
07-13-2009, 09:03 AM

instead you draft a probably Bernard Pollard and PRAY it might turn into Bob Sanders.

ROFL

I know a 2nd round pick is a valuable pick to have...but shiiiiit, the success rate on 2nd round picks is nothing more than 50%...

The only problem with the Cassel trade is the fact we had the #3 overall...Cassel busting is no big deal...it's a 2nd round pick...that happens...

But if Sanchez blows up in NYJ and becomes a pro bowler...than Tyson Jackson better be a god damn hall of famer.

KCtotheSB
07-13-2009, 09:09 AM
I think Pioli is taking a wait-and-see approach and I agree with it. Cassel doesn't have the weapons around him like he did in New England and there's a fairly good possibility he could be a one year wonder. Of course, I hope this isn't true....but there's no need for Pioli to push all his chips to the middle of the table quite yet.

Besides, if Cassel does flop, we always have Thigpen :) :) :)

donkhater
07-13-2009, 09:10 AM
For a franchise that desperately needs a franchise QB, and was in prime position to draft a franchise prospect, you only forgo that chance if you're dead ****ing sure in a QB that you can trade for. Trading a high second for a QB that you don't believe in while simultaneously forsaking the opportunity to draft a legit QB prospect is so antithetical to good franchise management that I refuse to think Pioli is dumb enough to do it.

The problem, Reaper, is in understanding all that goes into making a QB successful. The talent around him, the line, and the coaching he recieves. Obviously, this is going to be different than what Cassell experienced in New England. Will fans like yourself take this into consideration when judging his first season?

It's easy to make excuses for a rookie not performing well. They're young, adjusting, etc., but Sanchez would've had the same atmosphere that Cassell is stepping into.

What if Cassell starts off like Trent Green did his first year? Trent had better weapons, O-line and top-notch offensive coaching and still struggled a bit.

Frankly, I think the main questions that led Pioli to the action that he did was:

1. Does Cassel show the athletic ability to play the position at a high level?
2. Does Cassel show the desire to work hard at his craft?
3. Does Cassel interact well with teammates, showing good leadership?

I think the answer that Pioli got to all of these questions was 'yes'. And we have seen that he demonstrates the athletic ability and work ethic. The answer to these questions with regard to a draft pick could be 'yes', but more than not, it would be a 'maybe'.

I'd put it this way: If Pioli were to have a set of criteria that he would desire in a QB and Cassel demonstrated them, then a 2nd round price tag is a STEAL. He saw first hand the way he worked and interacted with the team.

Cassel is by FAR the least of my concerns about this football team.

donkhater
07-13-2009, 09:17 AM
I think Pioli is taking a wait-and-see approach and I agree with it. Cassel doesn't have the weapons around him like he did in New England and there's a fairly good possibility he could be a one year wonder. Of course, I hope this isn't true....but there's no need for Pioli to push all his chips to the middle of the table quite yet.

Besides, if Cassel does flop, we always have Thigpen :) :) :)

I don't know why Pioli hasn't signed him. Maybe he's waiting for the collective bargaining agreement to get resolved.

What would keep Pioli from signing him during the season? I would assume Poili sees the traits in Cassel that he wants in a QB. Maybe he's waiting to see how he handles adversity (which is bound to happen with this team). His athletic ability and work habits aren't likely to change, but judging him based on his offensive output this year doesn't seem to be the best criteria in which to make that decision. It's almost a certainty to be worse than last season, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't have grown as a QB. In fact, Cassel's resiliency may show alot more about his future than than his season with NE did.

acesn8s
07-14-2009, 02:43 PM
he did

Kyle DeLexus
07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I love all the people saying Pioli is smart, he's going to wait and see. Reaper was right, they believe in Matthew Cassel

acesn8s
07-14-2009, 03:18 PM
I love all the people saying Pioli is smart, he's going to wait and see. Reaper was right, they believe in Matthew CasselCan't be as dumb as CP.

FAX
07-14-2009, 03:18 PM
I love all the people saying Pioli is smart, he's going to wait and see. Reaper was right, they believe in Matthew Cassel

Mr. Reaper16 is right a whole lot more often than he is wrong. He knows a lot of stuff.

FAX

Reaper16
07-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Mr. Reaper16 is right a whole lot more often than he is wrong. He knows a lot of stuff.

FAX
Mr. FAX is privy to a sage's bounty in terms of how much wisdom he has accrued over the years. You would do well to believe Mr. FAX when he expresses something. I know that I do.

Ari Chi3fs
07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
uh oh... I think i walked in on something.

Reaper16
07-14-2009, 03:37 PM
uh oh... I think i walked in on something.
Mr. FAX and I were reading Penthouse together.

Just Passin' By
07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Mr. FAX and I were reading Penthouse together.

For the articles, no doubt.

Ari Chi3fs
07-14-2009, 03:42 PM
It's not gay... its called a Bro job!

As you were... lmao

Kyle DeLexus
07-14-2009, 04:05 PM
It's not gay... its called a Bro job!

As you were... lmao

Damn bro mances.

Farzin
07-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Im just sayin'

Wow good call....

Valiant
07-14-2009, 05:14 PM

****ing chiefs.. We have a QB by the balls with a one year tender to find out if he is good or not for our team and can franchise if he is and we go and give him a big contract.. Hopefully they know what they are doing..

chiefzilla1501
07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
****ing chiefs.. We have a QB by the balls with a one year tender to find out if he is good or not for our team and can franchise if he is and we go and give him a big contract.. Hopefully they know what they are doing..

I'm only guessing. No idea if this is true. But I can't help but wonder if one of the deal-breakers for the Cassel trade was that KC guaranteed they'd have a long-term deal in place for Cassel when he got here. If that's the case, then a promise is a promise.

I agree with you here. On the bright side, if he ends up being the QBOTF, then this deal is a much bigger bargain than if they signed him after this season. Especially if teams like Denver try to bargain up to raise the price for Cassel.

Halfcan
07-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Im just sayin'

wow-you nailed it-Nice One!!

Ebolapox
07-14-2009, 05:52 PM
are you a neckBROmancer?

RustShack
07-14-2009, 07:30 PM

He also signed for the price we thought Pioli would be smart to wait for.

Ari Chi3fs
07-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, he was guaranteed 15m+ this year... this whole contract is guaranteed at 28m... so, to lock him up for 6 years, isn't that painful, IMO.

Good job locking him up.