PDA

View Full Version : Football Predictions show Denver at bottom of AFC West

Kerberos
07-13-2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2009NFLAWEST

Yea I know it's just another prediction from some NFL professed Guru that is nothing more than a HACK, but hey.... It's the offseason and it's something to take our minds off of how shitty our team may be.

San Diego Chargers (10-6)
While their division lacks a serious contender and may actually be worse than it was in 2008, the San Diego Chargers are improved. A year after going 8-8 and winning the division on the last game of the season, the Charger should easily run through the West. The Chargers average 24.8 points per game (#4 in the NFL) and allow 21.1 points (#17) against a schedule featuring five games against teams who made the playoffs in 2008.

Oakland Raiders (7-9)
After another year of turmoil with Al Davis and Lane Kiffin publicly bickering, Tom Cable steps in as the full-time head coach. He will attempt to bring that Raiders "swagger" back to a franchise that has gone into a historical tailspin since losing the Super Bowl after the 2002 season. After a tough start to the season, Jeff Garcia will be starting and Darren McFadden will have found his groove as the team makes a late run. The Raiders average 22 points per game (#12) and allow 24.8 points (#26) against a schedule featuring five games against 2008 playoff teams.

Kansas City Chiefs (7-9)
Kansas City may not make the playoffs in 2009, but it takes a significant leap forward from a 2-14 season. The triumvirate of Scott Pioli, Todd Haley and Matt Cassel has a ways to go, but is making the right moves. The Chiefs average 19.7 points per game (#24) and allow 23.0 points (#17) against a schedule featuring six games against 2008 playoff teams.

Denver Broncos (5-11)
This isn't your father's Denver Broncos. It's not even your older brother's Denver Broncos. Since Mike Shanahan, who served as Denver's head coach for 14 seasons, was let go in favor of the then 32 year old Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the whole atmosphere around the Broncos has changed, not to mention roster. It's not for the better - this season at least - as Denver regresses by three wins over last season and is only favored in two games all year. The Broncos average 20.8 points per game (#20) and allow 27 points (#30) against a schedule featuring just seven games against 2008 playoff teams.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2009, 08:00 AM
KC and OAK winning 7 would be surprising to me... I think DEN, OAK and KC will be challenged to win 6 games. The last time Denver won fewer than 6 games was in 1990 with 5 and with this schedule and all of the change, it wouldn't surprise me.

Buehler445
07-13-2009, 08:13 AM
That's pretty optimistic for everyone except maybe the dolts.

ChiTown
07-13-2009, 08:16 AM
KC and OAK winning 7 would be surprising to me... I think DEN, OAK and KC will be challenged to win 6 games. The last time Denver won fewer than 6 games was in 1990 with 5 and with this schedule and all of the change, it wouldn't surprise me.

I agree with your thoughts, which is why I think the Chargers will win 11-12 games.

I don't see KC winning 7 games this year. Really, in some ways, given the changes and position uncertainties (especially OL), 5 wins would be a nice accomplishment. jmho

Buehler445
07-13-2009, 08:20 AM
I agree with your thoughts, which is why I think the Chargers will win 11-12 games.

I don't see KC winning 7 games this year. Really, in some ways, given the changes and position uncertainties (especially OL), 5 wins would be a nice accomplishment. jmho

I'm with ya buddy.

I don't know what to think about Dungver. They could pull some magic and win a few games, but they have shit for defense not named Champ Bailey AND they are trying to switch to 3-4. Add on that their HC seems like a complete toolbox, I really don't know.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't know if SD can win 11-12 games... they are the best in the division right now, but it is a weak division. SD is still prime to lose games @ Denver and @ KC... we all know that the AFCW teams split more often than not and it really doesn't matter how good the teams are in a given season, it's just the way it goes.

Outside of the AFCW games:

In weeks 2 and 3, they host the Ravens and Dolphins - 2 tough games
In week 4, they travel to the Steelers - very tough place and matchup for them.

By week 4, the Chargers could realistically be 2-2 or 1-3 if the Ravens and Dolphins play at the level they're capable of right now.

They have a BYE in week 5, then AFCW games in weeks 6-8.

Week 9 - at the Giants
Week 10 - home vs Eagles

In the final 5 games, they play at Cowboys & Titans - tough games.
They also have the Browns (on the road), with the Bengals and Redskins in SD.

It's not hard to imagine 7 losses with this schedule. Yes, they are a good team, but 9-7 is a very real possibility and unfortunately, the other 3 AFCW teams are in such states of unknown, that may be enough to win the division by 2 games in early December.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Regarding Denver, I see 6 games (in blue) that they should have a good chance of winning. Do I really expect them to be 3-0 out of the gate? No, but it's not completely unrealistic considering the competition. I have 7 games in red, those are my locks for losses... I don't know what to think of the Redskins.

Dallas and Giants at home will be tough, very tough... but Dallas is early and will still be adjusting to life with Roy Williams as their lead receiver, so there's a bit of hope. Giants... same deal with WR issues, but they have a stout defense and a nice RB - two deadly things against Denver.

I still see 5-6 wins, and will be hoping to be pleasantly surprised with .500

1 - Sun, Sep 13 at Cincinnati - 1:00 PM
2 - Sun, Sep 20 Cleveland - 4:15 PM
3 - Sun, Sep 27 at Oakland - 4:15 PM
4 - Sun, Oct 4 Dallas - 4:15 PM
5 - Sun, Oct 11 New England - 4:15 PM
6 - Mon, Oct 19 at San Diego - 8:30 PM
7 - BYE
8 - Sun, Nov 1 at Baltimore - 1:00 PM
9 - Mon, Nov 9 Pittsburgh - 8:30 PM
10 - Sun, Nov 15 at Washington - 1:00 PM
11 - Sun, Nov 22 San Diego - 4:15 PM
12 - Thu, Nov 26 NY Giants - 8:20 PM
13 - Sun, Dec 6 at Kansas City - 1:00 PM
14 - Sun, Dec 13 at Indianapolis - 1:00 PM
15 - Sun, Dec 20 Oakland - 4:05 PM
16 - Sun, Dec 27 at Philadelphia - 1:00 PM
17 - Sun, Jan 3 Kansas City - 4:15 PM

HonestChieffan
07-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Anything that adds to Donk misery is good.

LaChapelle
07-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Bailey's 31, not ancient for a CB. Time for some aches and pains to dim the brightness off the bulb.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Anything that adds to Donk misery is good.

It's not too much misery for me... I've honestly reset my expectations to be incredibly more realistic than in years past for many reasons. :doh!:

Garcia Bronco
07-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Donks will win at least half their games

Just Passin' By
07-13-2009, 10:15 AM

You're counting moral victories now?

whoman69
07-13-2009, 10:15 AM
The Chargers might win the division again with 8 or 9 wins.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2009, 10:16 AM

I could safely predict 6... so, 8 isn't out of the question. It's just not realistic to me right now, gotta see what this team looks like after camps and preseason.

Frazod
07-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Is Hochuli still on the payroll?

Mile High Mania
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Is Hochuli still on the payroll?

Unfortunately, budget cuts may not allow them to have him on the payroll in 2009...

Frazod
07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately, budget cuts may not allow them to have him on the payroll in 2009...

Damn refs, they really should take the economy into consideration before upping their rates. :D

The Bad Guy
07-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Wait, why didn't KnowShit post this? Or does he only post pro-Denver articles to troll around?

KCUnited
07-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Denver won't win more than 7 games this year, KC won't win more than 5.

BigMeatballDave
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

I would agree with this, but Norv is still the head coach.

BigMeatballDave
07-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Is Hochuli still on the payroll?ROFL

Kerberos
07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Wait, why didn't KnowShit post this? Or does he only post pro-Denver articles to troll around?

BlowMo will no doubt show up with some useless piece of garbage from yet ANOTHER self professed NFL GURU that contradicts everything negative about the donks.

He acknowledges no other kind of news or prediction.

DaneMcCloud
07-13-2009, 01:17 PM
I would agree with this, but Norv is still the head coach.

Norv coached the Chargers to the AFC Championship game and lost without LT and an injured Rivers.

Norv beat the 12-4 Colts without Merriman & LT last year.

Norv isn't Herm, despite people's wishes.

doomy3
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Norv coached the Chargers to the AFC Championship game and lost without LT and an injured Rivers.

Norv isn't Herm, despite people's wishes.

I'm sure if he was the Chiefs' coach, you'd say the same thing.

DaneMcCloud
07-13-2009, 01:21 PM

What thing?

doomy3
07-13-2009, 01:22 PM
What thing?

That he's a better coach than Herm, or trying to stick up for him for some weird reason.

DaneMcCloud
07-13-2009, 01:22 PM
That he's a better coach than Herm, or trying to stick up for him for some weird reason.

So you're saying that Norv isn't a better coach than Herm?

Okay, got it.

:rolleyes:

doomy3
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
So you're saying that Norv isn't a better coach than Herm?

Okay, got it.

:rolleyes:

I would say they both suck pretty equally. Turner had 1000000x more talent to work with, and they underachieved greatly.

BigMeatballDave
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Norv isn't Herm, despite people's wishes.Sometimes the Sun shines on a dogs ass. I still believe he was extremely lucky thru that. His coaching history before that speaks for itself. Regular season 69-87-1

Mr. Arrowhead
07-13-2009, 01:28 PM
im pretty confident that KC will win more games than Denver

DaneMcCloud
07-13-2009, 01:29 PM
I would say they both suck pretty equally. Turner had 1000000x more talent to work with, and they underachieved greatly.

Under-achieve? How so?

AFC Championship Game - Lost to the Patriots after the 2007 season.
Divisional Round - Lost to the Patriots by 3 after the 2006 season.
Divsional Round - Lost to the Steelers without Merriman & LT.

Additionally, Norv didn't sit still when his defense was sucking. He fired Cottrell mid-season and replaced him with Ron Rivera. After that point, the Chargers went on a run.

I don't see ANY comparison to Herm.

Baby Lee
07-13-2009, 01:32 PM

You heard it here, if Norv Turner EVER coaches the Chiefs, I won't even be a fan in exile. I'll be done with them for good.

Just Passin' By
07-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Sometimes the Sun shines on a dogs ass. I still believe he was extremely lucky thru that. His coaching history before that speaks for itself. Regular season 69-87-1

Turner's not a great coach and I think his players tune him out quickly, but people tend to go overboard about him. The Redskins were 4-12 the year before Turner took over. He didn't make them great, but he did have back-to-back winning seasons with Gus Frerotte as his #1 QB, and he did have a 10 win season the year prior to getting axed. That was in 1999. The Redskins have won 10 games in a season just once since then.

In Oakland, he took over for Callahan and presided over a dying franchise. His 5 wins in his first year there is still that franchise's high water mark since 2003.

Shottenheimer is a better coach, but that Chargers team was not going to be able to continue with him and the GM butting heads constantly. Turner's been good enough to keep that team fairly competitive, although I'd imagine that he needs a big year this season to silence the critics.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Under-achieve? How so?

AFC Championship Game - Lost to the Patriots after the 2007 season.
Divisional Round - Lost to the Patriots by 3 after the 2006 season.
Divsional Round - Lost to the Steelers without Merriman & LT.

Additionally, Norv didn't sit still when his defense was sucking. He fired Cottrell mid-season and replaced him with Ron Rivera. After that point, the Chargers went on a run.

I don't see ANY comparison to Herm.

Comparing Norv to Herm is stupid... Comparing Norv to Marty = perfect sense. Once he gets to a SB and loses, then he's comparable to Dan Reeves.