PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Lost a good friend

DA_T_84
07-14-2009, 07:08 AM
UPDATE -7/16

KCTV 5's story on the hit and run. There's a video on the page also. If you have any information, please call it in!

http://www.kctv5.com/news/20081380/detail.html

Thanks all.

UPDATE

It was a hit and run. What a coward.

http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-motorcycle-accident-follow-071409,0,5069342.story

Hey guys.

I was awakened at 4:30 AM to find out that my brother's closest friend in the world was killed in a motorcycle accident sometime around midnight. He was also a good friend of mine.

He had just got his bike two days ago, so it was most likely inexperience coupled with the slick road.

I am asking you to pray for his family, girlfriend, my brother and their small circle of friends.

Reminds me of that line in Tombstone, where Doc Holliday says he's going with Wyatt "because he is my friend." And the random guy says "hell, I got lots of friends!" Then Doc replies, "I don't."

My bro isn't a very social guy, and Chad was one of his only close friends. If not THE only. He was going to be the best man in my bro's wedding. He is about 8 years older than me, and was like an extra older bro.

I was one of the last people to talk to Chad, about an hour before he died. We chatted about poker and some random bullshit. We had an opportunity to grab lunch last week and had a pretty deep talk about life- I am happy for that. But as far as closeness goes, he was the main guy in my bro's life.

He got me and my best friend drunk for the first time. We had some good late night post-bar drinking sessions. Anyways... I am rambling.

My second point I wanted to make was that I would appreciate if you all called your close friends and told them how much they mean to you and why. I just got off the phone with my two closest buds and we said some great things. It's not gay to say ya love a guy. Seriously, please do this for me. Not only is it important to be told how much someone cares for you, but it is also important to tell them the same. You never know when you are gunna hang up the phone for the last time; throw the last high-five; grab a last beer; laugh at an inside joke one last time; kiss your wife for the last time; hug your kids for the last time; catch one last fish with your pops; etc...

Please tell your loved ones that they are loved. Thanks, and God bless.

:sulk:

ziggysocki
07-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Sorry for you and your bro. We take what we have for granted, so taking a few minutes every day to appreciate the people in your life is an excellent idea. Keep your head up.

wild1
07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
my condolences. you are right - none of us knows how much time we have.

Crush
07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Thoughts and prayers heading your way.

RJ
07-14-2009, 07:43 AM
RIP Chad.

Best wishes to all the family and friends. So hard to lose a loved one, especially at a young age.

Farzin
07-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Stay together and keep your heads high.

Buehler445
07-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Jesus. Bad day at the Planet.

Condolences bud.

Tell your bro to keep his head up. There are lots of good guys around, many much better than I. None of them will replace Chad, but lots of cool guys out there.

Bwana
07-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Sorry to hear that D. All my best to your family and his family.

DA_T_84
07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys.

My bro is 28, so he is in a good spot in life for something like this to happen, if ever there is a good spot. Thank God for his soon-to-be fiance. Couldn't have a nicer girl in his life at a better time.

ugh... im just sick to my stomach. This is awful.

rockymtnchief
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Damn, sorry to hear that.

My best to you and your bro.

Frazod
07-14-2009, 09:22 AM
My condolances.

Dayze
07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Sorry man; thought and prayers headed to you and your bro.

I’m sort of like your brother in that I keep a small group of really close friends; losing one would be rough.
And as a motorcyclist, it hits hard too – hearing about someone leaving us.

ChiTown
07-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Tough beak, Dante.

Friends are tough to come by, especially close friends. Sorry to hear about that.

ROYC75
07-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Prayers and thoughts to all .

FAX
07-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Damn. I'm very, very sorry to hear of this, Mr. Dante84. You have my condolences.

FAX

Phobia
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Guess this is it. http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1323239.html

Bummer.

Bowser
07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Very sorry to hear. Condolences.

DA_T_84
07-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Guess this is it. http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1323239.html

Bummer.

Yep, thats it.

Off to his place to clean up before his family gets in town.

Halfcan
07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Wow sad news-Best wishes to you are your family.

DA_T_84
07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Cops Look For Answers In Deadly Motorcycle Accident

July 14, 2009

A motorcycle accident near Westport killed a Kansas City man early Tuesday morning. Now investigators have some serious questions and need your help. At first glance, investigators thought it was just an accident, but a closer look revealed some puzzling evidence and that has them wondering if a crime was committed.

Thirty-two Chad McCurdy recently moved to Kansas City from the Ottawa area and had just purchased his motorcycle. Just before midnight on Tuesday, he was killed on Southwest Trafficway near Westport.

"Real unfortunate incident for him, seems like a real tragedy," Sgt. Bill Mahoney said. "We just want to fully investigate the crash and satisfy ourselves."

As the investigation continued, things weren't adding up.

"There was damage we couldn't explain any other way than we have to entertain the possibility that another vehicle struck the rear end of the motorcycle," Sgt. Mahoney said.

That's where witnesses, or at least one, will become key to this case.

"We have identified nobody at this time who is telling us they saw the accident happen," Sgt. Mahoney said. "We would be very interested in talking to anybody who thinks they saw it or did see it."

Evidence so far shows McCurdy wasn't speeding and, given the location, Sgt. Mahoney said it's hard to believe there wasn't someone walking or driving nearby who may have seen something and just didn't realize what they saw. He hopes someone will come forward.

"We would want to talk to them, that's the right thing to do, contact us, we are very willing to talk to you," Sgt. Mahoney said.

Lumpy
07-15-2009, 10:43 AM
That is a horrible Dante. Hopefully a witness to the accident will step forward. My condolences to u, ur brother and to the many ppl that knew Chad.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Honestly I hope it was just an accident. I hope there was no mystery driver who's life will be ruined as well. It'll be best for everyone. That said, if there was, I hope they are found and forced to face the consequences of their actions, even if that was just driving away and not trying to help that guy.

FAX
07-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Damn, man. What kind of area is that, I wonder?

What kind of person just drives away from an accident like that? Unimaginable.

FAX

DA_T_84
07-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks, all.

My brother informed me that Chad drove a bike when they lived in Chicago together, so he actually was an experienced rider. I was wrong in the OP.

Also, the article got it wrong about the Ottowa, thing, he hasn't lived there since he was a kid. Oh, well.

There were cameras in the intersection, and Police think it was an SUV. It will have slight front-end damage.

Also, they said Chad might have survived if the person had stopped and called 911. Instead they drove off into the night.

DA_T_84
07-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Honestly I hope it was just an accident. I hope there was no mystery driver who's life will be ruined as well. It'll be best for everyone. That said, if there was, I hope they are found and forced to face the consequences of their actions, even if that was just driving away and not trying to help that guy.

There was a mystery driver. The only way he will earn an ounce of my respect is if he turns himself in.

DA_T_84
07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Damn, man. What kind of area is that, I wonder?

What kind of person just drives away from an accident like that? Unimaginable.

FAX

It was right near the Sunfresh in Westport, near an otherwise busy intersection. Lots of drunk drivers in the area on the weekends. This was a Monday night though, so who knows?

FAX
07-15-2009, 11:01 AM
It's sickening to think that he might have survived had the driver phoned in the accident. People can be animals, sometimes.

If they have footage of the accident, they'll probably catch the person who did it. If so, they didn't do themselves any favors. I wonder if the police have a standing procedure to alert local body shops in cases like this. On the other hand, whoever is responsible probably can't afford to have the damage repaired. I guess the only way to track him/her down is to identify the make and model, then do the footwork. That will take time ... if they invest the time.

FAX

Mr. Flopnuts
07-15-2009, 11:05 AM
There was a mystery driver. The only way he will earn an ounce of my respect is if he turns himself in.

That really sucks dude. He won't earn an oz. of respect from me even if he does turn himself in. He could've played a part in saving that man's life, but he was more worried about the 2 days he'd spend in jail on a DUI probably. 2 days vs. someone's life. Rot in fucking hell as far as I'm concerned. Spineless fuck.

wild1
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
how could you leave someone there with life threatening injuries because you were driving drunk and don't want to get a DUI? it's heartbreaking

dirk digler
07-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Sorry to hear that Dante what a shitty thing for somebody to do. I hope they catch the bastard\bitch and send their ass to prison for life.

ChiTown
07-15-2009, 11:12 AM
That update makes me sick to my stomach. JFC:cuss:

DA_T_84
07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I share your sentiments guys. Another element that really sucks is this:

Chad was a donor. Had he been attended to on time, and still died, they would have been able to save his organs and, in turn, save other lives. Because of the time lapse, his organs died with him.

They were able to save his non-living tissue, like bones for marrow and random tissue and such. He was such a good fucking guy. I wish you all knew him.

Phobia
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
On one hand it might be comforting to know Chad wasn't a goof who wrapped his bike around a pole unprovoked. But it sure is disturbing knowing there are people out there who are capable of forcing a guy off the road and leaving the scene to save their own hind. If they are never caught I hope they rot from guilt.

Earthling
07-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Thats tragic. Thoughts and prayers go out. What you said about telling our loved ones how much we love them is spot on. I lost a daughter (18 year old) in a similar fashion...about 15 years ago. My condolences go out to the friends and family.

PhillyChiefFan
07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
It's scary how fast something like this can happen, and we all take it for granted until it happens to us.

I try to express how much I care for my family and close friends as much as I can. But you are right, we should do it more often.

My sympathies to you and especially your brother, it will be diffcult for him for a long time. prayers to you and yours.

PhillyChiefFan
07-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Thats tragic. Thoughts and prayers go out. What you said about telling our loved ones how much we love them is spot on. I lost a daughter (18 year old) in a similar fashion...about 15 years ago. My condolences go out to the friends and family.

I'm sure the pain never goes away, I can't even imagine.

I'm very sorry for your loss too.

DA_T_84
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, it should only be a matter of time until he's caught. After speaking with Chad's father, I learned that the footage from the intersection cameras is being retrieved. They are located in AZ and they are awaiting its arrival. After that they should be able to have a license plate and what not.

BTW, it will be on the news here in KC also. If you happen to know anything, please call the police!

PhillyChiefFan
07-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Well, it should only be a matter of time until he's caught. After speaking with Chad's father, I learned that the footage from the intersection cameras is being retrieved. They are located in AZ and they are awaiting its arrival. After that they should be able to have a license plate and what not.

BTW, it will be on the news here in KC also. If you happen to know anything, please call the police!

I hope they find the guy, I really do.

DA_T_84
07-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Here's the news story: http://www.kctv5.com/news/20066905/detail.html

DJ's left nut
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
As sad as this is, I'll bet nobody calls - nobody ever does.

I got knocked off my bike by a hit/run driver with literally a dozen cars around (got lucky that I didn't get run over). I came to a stop and looked up to see the !@#$ing car stopped at the next stop light, again surrounded by a dozen cars. My bike was totalled and he was too far away for me to make out a plate so I couldn't get to him before he drove off.

Not a soul called the police and reported it. That dickhead drove me into a raised median (heavy traffic, he was passing on the right and 'merged' back into my front wheel), a dozen people saw it and then sat next to him at a stoplight without calling it in. I pretty much lost all faith in people to do the right thing that day. In the era of cell-phones, it's inexcusable that people have become so self-absorbed that they can't bother to make a simple call to dispatch.

I'm glad to hear the camara caught this jerk and I hope he's nailed to the wall for what he did. Unfortunately there was probably alcohol involved and they'll never be able to prove it since he ran, so he'll be rewarded for essentially killing your friend by getting his sentence busted down to some form of criminal negligence.

People suck and it's usually the wrong one's that die on account of it. Sorry for your loss.

DA_T_84
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
The newest story on the incident- text and video.

http://www.kctv5.com/news/20081380/detail.html

DA_T_84
07-13-2010, 01:14 AM
One year down, and still no news.

Regardless.... he's still missed very, very much. Today marks the anniversary of the last time I spoke to a good friend.

Tell 'em you love 'em today, whoever they are.

Fairplay
07-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Sorry to learn about your friend. It makes you think about life and what's important.

bevischief
07-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Damn. I'm very sorry to hear of this. Thoughts and prayers.

RedNFeisty
07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Sorry for the loss you and your brother have suffered due to others stupidity.

tymania
07-13-2010, 09:09 AM
thats awful man..this happened to one my bros close friends too.. he died yesterday morning from a motorcycle accident that was not his fault... sad stuff really sad stuff