PDA

View Full Version : Life NFT: Contract Issue


The Bad Guy
07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi all,

A month ago I posted about a job I was accepting (basically due to lack of options) at a school district that I wasn't thrilled about. I only verbally accepted and did not sign the contract because I have been out of the area.

Well, I was offered another job at another district today that pays 7k more and is the same basic job I was doing the last 2 years. It's something I'm far more qualified and experienced in. They will also pay off your student loans if you are there 5 years, which is a huge benefit.

I planned all along to take the first job, but since I was recently declined for mortgages based on my income from the first district, I started interviewing elsewhere. Since I didn't sign anything, and there is more than a month until school begins, they can find someone else easily.

My question is, if the first district gives me a hard time when I call and tell them, can they keep me from accepting the 2nd job based on a verbal agreement?

Thanks for any advice.

DeezNutz
07-14-2009, 12:33 PM
No.

You have nothing to worry about.

The Bad Guy
07-14-2009, 12:36 PM
The reason for my concern was the superintendent of the district I plan on teaching with said that if I backed out of my agreement, he could hold me for 60 days.

I assume that means a signed contract, but I was not sure.

DeezNutz
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Congrats on the new job.

Gonzo
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
No.

You have nothing to worry about.

This..

All else is heresay and would not hold up in court.
However,
I would notify your newly planned employer of the potential situation.
Do this for two reasons...

1. It shows honesty and respect towards the new employer.
2. It will allow them to prepare for the inevitable situation.

Also,
Because you did not have a signed contract with the original employer they can't hold you on a verbal agreement alone. I would call them and inform them that due to the housing situation you are not going to be able to accept their offer. Tell them as little as possible but do not be dishonest, (just in case they communicate with your new employer.)

If they blatently ask you if you accepted a new job, don't lie. Tell them that yes you did and the housing situation won't be a problem due to the larger monitary agreement you have in place. You are not being dishonest at this point.

The Bad Guy
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM
This..

All else is heresay and would not hold up in court.
However,
I would notify your newly planned employer of the potential situation.
Do this for two reasons...

1. It shows honesty and respect towards the new employer.
2. It will allow them to prepare for the inevitable situation.

Also,
Because you did not have a signed contract with the original employer they can't hold you on a verbal agreement alone. I would call them and inform them that due to the housing situation you are not going to be able to accept their offer. Tell them as little as possible but do not be dishonest, (just in case they communicate with your new employer.)

If they blatently ask you if you accepted a new job, don't lie. Tell them that yes you did and the housing situation won't be a problem due to the larger monitary agreement you have in place. You are not being dishonest at this point.

I should have the new contract by tomorrow. At that point, I will call the other district (last thing I want to do with a new baby coming is completely F myself).

The housing we had planned on living in was a house her parents had on the market for 3 years. They received 1 offer in 3 years and it was 50k lower than her dad's asking price. Well 4 days before we are ready to move back to PA, her dad informs us that the person met his asking price and we'd have to find another place. Thus this situation.

Gonzo
07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I should have the new contract by tomorrow. At that point, I will call the other district (last thing I want to do with a new baby coming is completely F myself). Smart

The housing we had planned on living in was a house her parents had on the market for 3 years. They received 1 offer in 3 years and it was 50k lower than her dad's asking price. Well 4 days before we are ready to move back to PA, her dad informs us that the person met his asking price and we'd have to find another place. Thus this situation.
Ok.. You didn't mention this in the OP.


I thought it was more or less an employment issue. However, my OP still works in this situation. I think you should be ok since you don't have a signed contract with the original district.

CoMoChief
07-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Carl Henry is that you?

Hoover
07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
The first school super is going to call you in and tell you to sit the fu@k down, and shut the fu@k up.... Better be careful

Mile High Mania
07-14-2009, 03:33 PM
You have to do what is best for you... you're giving the other guys 30 days. They likely won't make it easy for you, they'll guilt you and things like that, but I don't think they can legally do anything... if indeed you signed nothing.

The Bad Guy
07-14-2009, 03:47 PM
The first school super is going to call you in and tell you to sit the fu@k down, and shut the fu@k up.... Better be careful

I'm not worried about that. They are far enough away from each other in different counties that they won't say shit.

Bottom line is I have to do what's best for me and the family. 7k and getting student loans paid off = a lot more financial flexibility than I would have. For the 2010-2011 school year, I would make 10k more. When I got denied for 165k mortgage with a great credit score I knew I had to explore other avenues.

I'm sure there will be some mad people at the other district, but they have more than enough time to find a replacement. They interviewed 10 people for the job they offered me. They can just go to #2 on the list.

Hog Farmer
07-14-2009, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't count on getting those student loans paid off .

Amnorix
07-14-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't see that the school has a pot to piss in here. You should be fine to take the 2nd job. The ONLY concern is that the super of the 1st job knows the guy at the 2nd job, and they both withdraw thier offers. Other than that, you're good.

Simply Red
07-14-2009, 03:59 PM
wait, so did you, or, did you not sign a non-compete?

The Bad Guy
07-14-2009, 04:20 PM
wait, so did you, or, did you not sign a non-compete?

I didn't sign anything. I just told the first district I would take the job, but no contract has been signed.

The Bad Guy
07-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't see that the school has a pot to piss in here. You should be fine to take the 2nd job. The ONLY concern is that the super of the 1st job knows the guy at the 2nd job, and they both withdraw thier offers. Other than that, you're good.

That's the thing. I'm waiting until I have the contract in hand from the 2nd job and then I will tell the first job that I won't be taking it.

I can't jeopardize benefits when I have a newborn coming in less than 4 weeks.

The Bad Guy
07-16-2009, 12:06 PM
District 2 offered me the job today. 8K more than job offer 1. When the school board approves it tonight, I will call the first district and let them know I need to rescind my acceptance.

Dicky McElephant
07-16-2009, 12:09 PM
District 2 offered me the job today. 8K more than job offer 1. When the school board approves it tonight, I will call the first district and let them know I need to rescind my acceptance.

Just apologize to them but let them know that with the economy and housing situation.....this works out better. They'll probably be annoyed but they have to understand.

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
District 2 offered me the job today. 8K more than job offer 1. When the school board approves it tonight, I will call the first district and let them know I need to rescind my acceptance.Congrats!

The Bad Guy
07-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Just apologize to them but let them know that with the economy and housing situation.....this works out better. They'll probably be annoyed but they have to understand.

I'm just going to stick with the housing problems and the financial troubles I've had since the move that I didin't anticipate. I won't even mention another district - just that I'm pursuing other opportunities.

OnTheWarpath58
07-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm just going to stick with the housing problems and the financial troubles I've had since the move that I didin't anticipate. I won't even mention another district - just that I'm pursuing other opportunities.

Good move, IMO.

Good luck, and *crosses fingers* congratulations.

The Bad Guy
07-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Called the first district today and told them I would need to rescind my acceptance. Lady was very nice and wished me the best.

Woohoo.

Dicky McElephant
07-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Called the first district today and told them I would need to rescind my acceptance. Lady was very nice and wished me the best.

Woohoo.

Cool....congrats on the new job.