PDA

View Full Version : Electronics NFT: is there a phone service tech in the house?

Archie F. Swin
07-15-2009, 09:36 AM
We've got OLD phones in the our office. I'm guessing roughly 25 to 30 years old. Our manager, who's office is 50 miles away, wants us to take part in more conference calls. The 'speaker' function on the old phones appears to be one-way, in that we can only listen and not speak and be heard.

So, I go to Office Depot and find a $60 two line phone that appears to be a little more capable and also requires an a/c cord to power the digital display and other functions.

Here's the problem, if you take the 4 conductor phone line out of my old phone and plug it into the new phone (with the power cord already plugged in) and the line lights light up...but there's no dial tone. So, I don't understand why the SAME PHONE LINE that works in the old phones will not work in the new.

seclark
07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
no dial tone on either line? did a line cord come w/the new phone?
sec

Archie F. Swin
07-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes...I also tried the 4 conductor line that came with the new phone. I hear something, but its definitely not a dial tone.

rockymtnchief
07-15-2009, 10:08 AM
no dial tone on either line? did a line cord come w/the new phone?
sec

This. Try the one that came with it it first.

I just went through the same thing at a construction company here. But they got a bad phone straight from the store. The "line 1" and "line 2" lights would light up, indicating it was off hook.

rockymtnchief
07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes...I also tried the 4 conductor line that came with the new phone. I hear something, but its definitely not a dial tone.

When it's plugged in does it kill dial tone to the other phones?

seclark
07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
This. Try the one that came with it it first.

I just went through the same thing at a construction company here. But they got a bad phone straight from the store. The "line 1" and "line 2" lights would light up, indicating it was off hook.

it could be a bad phone here, also.
sec

Blindside58
07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Does your old system have a PBX switch with multiple incoming lines. If so, A store bought phone will not work. You would have to upgrade your PBX system for additional features. You probably have a programmable function turned off in the phones themselves. What is the name on the phone?

rockymtnchief
07-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Does your old system have a PBX switch with multiple incoming lines. If so, A store bought phone will not work. You would have to upgrade your PBX system for additional features. You probably have a programmable function turned off in the phones themselves. What is the name on the phone?

Damn...good question. PBX's and key systems don't usually work with just any phone.

Monty
07-15-2009, 10:58 AM

This. Just a thought, but instead of upgrading the PBX, why can't you just go to http://freeconferencecall.com and conference that way? It's free and seems to work well. I was using it for my calls with my attorneys and expert witnesses a few months ago with no issue. The only cost is the LD.

Archie F. Swin
07-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Had a friend come check it out, turns out to be an in-house problem. The system has to be updated in order for the phones to do what we please.