PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How Many Years Until We Make It?

FAX
07-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I've been thinking. There are quite a few Planeteers who remain somewhat skeptical about where the Chiefs are and where we're going. For some, concerns persist regarding the quarterback, the offensive line, the running backs, the wide receivers, the tight end position, the defensive line, the linebackers, the defensive backfield, and special teams - to name a few.

However, ChiefsPlanet also entertains several highly competent posters who are extraordinarily optimistic - believing that we are on the very precipice of greatness. These posters urge that we'll emerge with a surge after this purge and don't sing a dirge 'cause we're on the verge and Clark will splurge to make events converge. Oh, yeah ... surgin', purgin', Clark be splurgin' ...

But, I digress ...

It may be fair to say that the majority of Planeteers are at least generally pleased with the hiring of Pioli - if not Haley. Yet, since significant changes in the coaching staff may still be in the offing, doubts continue to surface from time to time in this respect.

For my part, I'm convinced of three things; 1) Clark gets it. He is interested in fielding a winner and will be proactive in seeking solutions should he believe that such action is necessary. 2) Pioli gets it. Our new GM is a proven winner who knows, from a player personnel perspective, how to arrange the chess pieces in order to provide optimal advantage both in the locker room and on the field. 3) We have a long way to go.

With this in mind, I have a question for all ye Planeteers of olde. How many years will be required before the Chiefs once again achieve conference dominance and win the AFC Championship?

One year? Two? Seven? Ten? Eleventy? Forty? Two? Did I already say Two?

The issues are clear; we all know that nature abhors a straight line and that there will be problems. Cassel may not work out, LJ is getting older, we may experience setbacks in the form of injury, poor drafting, lousy calls, or sex scandals involving Haley, a mountain goat, and a box of latex gloves. Yet, positive things may be in store for us as well. We may catch a break, a new rookie might surprisingly ascend to superstar status, Haley may be the bees knees.

Currently, our Kansas City Chiefs proudly share the record for longest drought without an AFC Championship. That record is 39 years and we are tied with the Jets.

Considering all that may or may not happen, what's your estimate, Planeteers? How many years to the AFC Championship?

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Within five years.

Reaper16
07-15-2009, 05:31 PM
If Cassel is the player that Pioli thinks that he is, and Pioli really nails his drafts the next few times, then I can see it in four or five years.

Halfcan
07-15-2009, 05:31 PM
We would make it this year if we had Brett Favre!!

or Dane

"Bob" Dobbs
07-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Realistically, I think they're 3 or so years away. Maybe 4.

Goldmember
07-15-2009, 05:34 PM
I think they will be ready in three years, just in time for a labor strike that fuck everything up for us

Bugeater
07-15-2009, 05:36 PM
At the very least five years. I have to believe it's going to take at least a couple to get to the point we're competing for the playoffs, and several more before we can win games against the Colts, Pats and Steelers. Hell probably more like 7 or 8 or 10 years.

Reerun_KC
07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Need a QB to build a team around..

Huffman83
07-15-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm hoping 2 years. This year and next. I'm that optimistic!

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
I have to believe it's going to take at least a couple to get to the point we're competing for the playoffs

I think we'll be competing for the playoffs in 2010.

Bugeater
07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, to be fair, "competing for the playoffs" isn't saying much. IIRC last year we weren't mathematically eliminated from playoff contention until week 9 or 10 even though we only had 2 wins.

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, to be fair, "competing for the playoffs" isn't saying much. IIRC last year we weren't mathematically eliminated from playoff contention until week 9 or 10 even though we only had 2 wins.

Competing for the playoffs as in winning 9 or 10 games.

FAX
07-15-2009, 05:52 PM

With all due respect, humility, and acknowledgment of all past accomplishments and courtesies extended, Mr. GoChiefs, this particular thread is not about COMPETING FOR THE GOLL-DANGED FRIGGIN' PLAYOFFS!!!!

The question is; How long until we win the AFC Championship?

FAX

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
With all due respect, humility, and acknowledgment of all past accomplishments and courtesies extended, Mr. GoChiefs, this particular thread is not about COMPETING FOR THE GOLL-DANGED FRIGGIN' PLAYOFFS!!!!

The question is; How long until we win the AFC Championship?

FAX

I think we'll be competing for the AFC Championship in 2011. That's when our championship window will open.

RJ
07-15-2009, 05:54 PM
If they aren't winning playoff games in 2012, this will all have been for naught.

Bowser
Provided everything goes as Piloi and Haley want it to, we'll be ready to compete in earnest in 2011.

Fruit Ninja
I wouldnt be shocked to see us contend for a play off spot this year. Not saying we will make it, but we have a chance to be decent. The AFC West is Meh, so anything can happen.

chiefs1111
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
ill go with 4-5 years

Mr. Arrowhead
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
i think it could be 3 years until we are championship contenders. Here our my expectations for the next 5 years or so.
Year 1- 5-8 wins
Year 2- compete for the division, make the playoffs either by winning the division or Wildcard
Year 3-5- Championship contenders, should be at least a top 10 team.

FAX
07-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Pioli won't be with us for 20 years like Carl. We'll be lucky to have him for 7. Lucky because he'll have been successful if Clark doesn't fire him after 5.

I have to believe that, once our current crop of rookies and first-year players develops, Pioli will have plugged the remaining holes. I'm going with 6 years. Maybe 5 if we're real lucky. All that is dependent upon our coaching staff, though. The OC and DC have to have it together.

FAX

FAX
07-15-2009, 05:58 PM
I wouldnt be shocked to see us contend for a play off spot this year. Not saying we will make it, but we have a chance to be decent. The AFC West is Meh, so anything can happen.

That's a point. With the AFCW being such dog poop, it might shorten the drive quite a bit. We still have to learn how to win on the road, though.

We haven't been able to do that for quite a while. And we haven't been able to do that consistently for ... dang ... 40 years.

FAX

wild1
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM
This year they should win 6-7 games. The year after, perhaps 9-10. 2011 they could be legitimate contenders.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Never... things don't work out for KC teams.

DeezNutz
07-15-2009, 06:11 PM
It begins in 2011, assuming Cassel is who Pioli thinks he is.

Pass the Crown.

88TG88
07-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Provided everything goes as Piloi and Haley want it to, we'll be ready to compete in earnest in 2011.

I agree with this. Like goatse said we should be going deep in the playoffs by 2010

KC Jones
07-15-2009, 06:17 PM
It begins in 2011, assuming Cassel is who Pioli thinks he is.

Pass the Crown.

I'm with you. 2 more good offseasons should be enough to collect the necessary pieces and have a strong core in place.

LaChapelle
07-15-2009, 06:24 PM
It hinges on Kyle Orton's retirement.

Doob02
07-15-2009, 06:31 PM
This should be a poll....

I would have to say 2 to be competing, 3 to make playoffs and 4-5 to be a serious contender for the title

milkman
07-15-2009, 06:34 PM
2013 is the year.

But since the world is coming to an end in 2012, we're screwed.

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
i think it could be 3 years until we are championship contenders. Here our my expectations for the next 5 years or so.
Year 1- 5-8 wins
Year 2- compete for the division, make the playoffs either by winning the division or Wildcard
Year 3-5- Championship contenders, should be at least a top 10 team.

This is how it's done.

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
I agree with this. Like goatse said we should be going deep in the playoffs by 2010

No, just getting to the playoffs is my expectation. I fully expect a first-round loss and a bitching fan base.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM
No, just getting to the playoffs is my expectation. I fully expect a first-round loss and a bitching fan base.Wait a second. What'd I miss? When did you switch back to GoChiefs?

Fruit Ninja
07-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Never... things don't work out for KC teams.

i thing i will say is that my Dodgers havent been good for a very long time. always average. We had all the talent in the world in the 90's and we couldnt get shit. 2000's not so much. New owner, new Gm, we just decided to start over and let the young guys grow and now have the best record in the Majors. I dont EVER remember them having a season like this.

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Wait a second. What'd I miss? When did you switch back to GoChiefs?

I was always GoChiefs. It was just a bad dream.

milkman
07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
i thing i will say is that my Dodgers havent been good for a very long time. always average. We had all the talent in the world in the 90's and we couldnt get shit. 2000's not so much. New owner, new Gm, we just decided to start over and let the young guys grow and now have the best record in the Majors. I dont EVER remember them having a season like this.

The 90s Dodgers had two of the worst clutch players I've ever seen in Mike Piaza and Eric Karros.

mozartsghost68
07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
It is my opinion that with the current staff and the players that will be reaching free agency status next year that it is entirely possible to at least be in the afc championship next year and win the superbowl in Feb 2012....... I would then be properly prepared for the end of the world come on 12/21/2012......GO CHEIFS!

Bwana
07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
We would make it this year if we had Brett Favre!!

or Dane

Dane sure, Farve, not so much. The way it stands now 3-5 years with good drafts and building.

FAX
07-15-2009, 07:23 PM
You know, if the Chiefs could, indeed, reach and win the AFC Championship in 4 to 5 years, that would be so absolutely fantastic as to defy description.

First of all, it would mean that the next 4 to 5 years would be the most exciting 4 to 5 years for the franchise since the '60s. Just watching the team mature and improve for a run like that. Season by season. Game by game.

To think that guys like Flowers could develop their skills to the point we could accomplish something like that. Watching Bowe mature, finding somebody to replace Gonzo, seeing the defense develop a swagger. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

FAX

Chiefaholic
07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm thinking 3-4 years with solid drafting and rebuilding multiple areas of weaknesses.

Mecca
07-15-2009, 07:49 PM
It depends if Cassel is good or not, if he's what they think he is then it's 4 or 5 years if he's not...then well it's a long time.

milkman
07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
It depends if Cassel is good or not, if he's what they think he is then it's 4 or 5 years if he's not...then well it's a long time.

I don't get the 4 to 5 years.

If Cassel is all that, two good offseasons, including draft and free agency, should get us there in 3 years.

There are no more 5 year plans.

Mecca
07-15-2009, 07:58 PM

If Cassel is all that, two good offseasons, including draft and free agency, should get us there in 3 years.

I don't think they could realistically fill enough holes to get to the bowl in shorter than 4 years. And I mean fill holes with quality players.

There are to many top of the line teams in this conference to sneak your way in, in the NFC it's possible.

OnTheWarpath58
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Get us where in 3 years?

Winning a playoff game?

I agree.

Winning an AFC Championship Game?

Cassel would have to be Tom Brady Part II, and literally almost every move that Pioli made in the draft and FA the next 2 offseasons would have to be perfect. Not to mention the hope that both Brady and Manning have retired by that point.

I they even MADE an AFC Championship Game in the next 5 years, I'd be pleasantly fucking ecstatic.

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Dude, five years is an eternity in the NFL.

Five years ago the Chiefs had the top offense in the entire NFL.

If Cassel and Pioli are who we think we are, we WILL be in an AFC Championship game in the next five years. CROWN 'EM!

Mecca
07-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Dude, five years is an eternity in the NFL.

Five years ago the Chiefs had the top offense in the entire NFL.

If Cassel and Pioli are who we think we are, we WILL be in an AFC Championship game in the next five years. CROWN 'EM!

And the same teams are still good...those teams are not going away.

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM

Manning is 33. Brady is 31. Either could be retired in three years. You just never know.

OnTheWarpath58
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM

This.

Some of them might have a down year, but not a down 5 years.

Indy, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, San Diego, New England. Not going anywhere.

And I'd fully expect teams like the Jets, Texans, Bengals and Dolphins make a serious run before the Chiefs do.

Hell, that's 10 teams out of 16 in the Conference, and only 6 get playoff spots.

Mecca
07-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Manning is 33. Brady is 31. Either could be retired in three years. You just never know.

Which means they both have several years left if not more..Ben Roethlisberger is in this conference....the Ravens drafted their QB last year...people may laugh at San Diego but that team has great talent with a top of the line young QB.

And then there's the Jets who appear to be moving in the right direction.

milkman
07-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't think they could realistically fill enough holes to get to the bowl in shorter than 4 years. And I mean fill holes with quality players.

There are to many top of the line teams in this conference to sneak your way in, in the NFC it's possible.

Get us where in 3 years?

Winning a playoff game?

I agree.

Cassel would have to be Tom Brady Part II, and literally almost every move that Pioli made in the draft and FA the next 2 offseasons would have to be perfect. Not to mention the hope that both Brady and Manning have retired by that point.

I they even MADE an AFC Championship Game in the next 5 years, I'd be pleasantly ****ing ecstatic.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Cassel is who Pioli thinks he is, and that Tyson Jackson is also.

We already have our LT in place, we have Flowers and Bowe, and over the next two offseasons we acquire a couple of rushbackers and a NT.

That would be the core, all the rest wiuld be role players, and that is all you really need to compete for a championship in this day and age.

Ebolapox
07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
This.

Some of them might have a down year, but not a down 5 years.

Indy, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, San Diego, New England. Not going anywhere.

And I'd fully expect teams like the Jets, Texans, Bengals and Dolphins make a serious run before the Chiefs do.

Hell, that's 10 teams out of 16 in the Conference, and only 6 get playoff spots.

depending on several factors, I could see baltimore falling off (aging defense and flacco failing), tennessee failing (losing pieces on defense and lack of offense), as well as sandy eggo failing (aj smith being shown the door after a few more years of norvel turner coaching, tomlinson retiring, sproles leaving, etc.)

I'd expect indy, pitt and new england to be there like they have been for the past decade though.

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 08:20 PM
The Texans?

Seriously, the Texans?

The Bengals are a joke and the Dolphins have an aging QB who has never won shit, too.

I'd take the Chiefs over all those teams.

Mecca
07-15-2009, 08:20 PM
I have a really hard time believing San Diego would fire the GM that rebuilt their team. Also replacing a RB is easy, that really shouldn't hurt them at all.

milkman
07-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I have a really hard time believing San Diego would fire the GM that rebuilt their team. Also replacing a RB is easy, that really shouldn't hurt them at all.

If the Chargers don't win in the next two or three years, then yes, absolutely he should be fired.

Did we not learn anything from Carl's tenure?

Mecca
07-15-2009, 08:28 PM
If the Chargers don't win in the next two or three years, then yes, absolutely he should be fired.

Did we not learn anything from Carl's tenure?

They're talent level isn't their problem, he drafts very well every year.

Skip Towne
07-15-2009, 08:33 PM
You know, if the Chiefs could, indeed, reach and win the AFC Championship in 4 to 5 years, that would be so absolutely fantastic as to defy description.

First of all, it would mean that the next 4 to 5 years would be the most exciting 4 to 5 years for the franchise since the '60s. Just watching the team mature and improve for a run like that. Season by season. Game by game.

To think that guys like Flowers could develop their skills to the point we could accomplish something like that. Watching Bowe mature, finding somebody to replace Gonzo, seeing the defense develop a swagger. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

FAX

It was a lot of fun watching that '69 team develop. Although they were already pretty good when they got here in '63.

cdcox
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM

I'll go out on a limb and say at least two of those teams will have multiple 8-8 or worse records during the next 5 years.

J Diddy
07-15-2009, 08:36 PM
I hope never. Knowing the luck of a Chiefs fan we will get to the superbowl, be 3 seconds from winning it and then the world will end.

Lumpy
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
If Cassel meets expectations... 3 yrs.

cdcox
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
In reply to the initial question, I think that if things go very well, in three years (2011 season) we could be good enough to compete for an AFC championship. At that point you just have to pound on the door enough times to win.

milkman
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
They're talent level isn't their problem, he drafts very well every year.

I get that.

But after 9 or 10 years with no championship, it's time to move on.

J Diddy
07-15-2009, 08:43 PM
If Cassel meets expectations... 3 yrs.

Personally I think he's gonna be poop next year. He's got one guy who can make things happen and that's if he doesn't drop the ball. Lost our possesion receiver (TG) and LJ couldn't catch a cold if it was fast tracked to swine flu. I see every team we play pulling the old Ted williams shuffle to dropsy bowe.

That being said I think year 2 will be very competitive, maybe even playoffs.

Bugeater
07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say at least two of those teams will have multiple 8-8 or worse records during the next 5 years.
Yeah right, you're going out on a limb. I'm guessing you have charts and graphs and twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is that prove it.

stevieray
07-15-2009, 08:49 PM
I say year three...by Clarks' standards..the stadium will be done in 2010..he'll be lloking for some payback.

Wouldn't you?

J Diddy
07-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah right, you're going out on a limb. I'm guessing you have charts and graphs and twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is that prove it.

btw, I love your avatar. I watched that movie the other night and it was great.

Ultra Peanut
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOI4XJecOc0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOI4XJecOc0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FAX
You guys are far more optimistic than I anticipated. It's surprising. Frankly, I expected a lot of 20 years, 50 years, turn-of-the-next-century type responses. That's encouraging.

Five years is not a very long time in the NFL. And, if it's both true and reasonable to expect a solid run out of this team somewhere around that time, we should see dramatic - and I mean dramatic - improvement on both sides of the ball in 2010. To me, that's pretty exciting to think about. During the tenure of He Who Can't Chew Gum, my fan-brain has been on auto-pilot much of the time. The notion of actually being seriously competitive by the next decade sparks the light of hope in my cold, dark soul.

It also means that guys like DJ need to get off their ass and start showing Pioli and Haley something special.

FAX

Skip Towne
07-15-2009, 08:53 PM

You've been paying attention. Seedy is a pretty scientific guy.

boogblaster
07-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Having watched our two SB teams they were great teams that had bigger faster players than the NL had back then .. plus they were well coached ... We've fielded a couple teams close since the 60s but nott the whole package ... However in the 60s there wasn't as many good teams as now ... Todays teams have to have everything working and usually a couple breaks their way to win every week in this new NFL ... Hopefully we can field as decent team in the next couple years and take a run at a championship ....

RJ
07-15-2009, 08:54 PM
We’re gonna do it!
Give us any chance, we’ll take it.
Give us any rule, we’ll break it.
We’re gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin’ it our way.

Nothin’s gonna turn us back now,
Straight ahead and on the track now.
We’re gonna make our dreams come true,
Doin’ it our way.

There is nothing we won’t try,
Never heard the word impossible.
This time there’s no stopping us.
We’re gonna do it.

On your mark, get set, and go now,
Got a dream and we just know now,
We’re gonna make our dream come true.
And we’ll do it our way, yes our way.
Make all our dreams come true,
And do it our way, yes our way,
Make all our dreams come true
For me and you.

OnTheWarpath58
07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
We’re gonna do it!
Give us any chance, we’ll take it.
Give us any rule, we’ll break it.
We’re gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin’ it our way.

Nothin’s gonna turn us back now,
Straight ahead and on the track now.
We’re gonna make our dreams come true,
Doin’ it our way.

There is nothing we won’t try,
Never heard the word impossible.
This time there’s no stopping us.
We’re gonna do it.

On your mark, get set, and go now,
Got a dream and we just know now,
We’re gonna make our dream come true.
And we’ll do it our way, yes our way.
Make all our dreams come true,
And do it our way, yes our way,
Make all our dreams come true
For me and you.

LMAO

Featuring Matt Cassel as "Squiggy".

J Diddy
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I say year three...by Clarks' standards..the stadium will be done in 2010..he'll be lloking for some payback.

Wouldn't you?

I sure hope so.

chefsos
07-15-2009, 08:59 PM
That's a pretty solid limb...

The Titans, as I recall, had about the worst team in the league a few years ago. And the Ravens of this decade have been very consistently inconsistent. So, yeah.

Count Zarth
07-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Five years is not a very long time in the NFL.

I keep saying it's an ETERNITY.

Hell, THREE years is an eternity in my opinion.

For instance, in three years, no one is going to give a SHIT about Herm Edwards on this board.

J Diddy
07-15-2009, 09:02 PM

For instance, in three years, no one is going to give a SHIT about Herm Edwards on this board.

dude, people still bitch about blackledge on this board

RJ
07-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Don't get me started.

Lumpy
07-15-2009, 09:04 PM

Who? ROFL

DeezNutz
07-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Let's assume for the sake of argument that Cassel is who Pioli thinks he is, and that Tyson Jackson is also.

We already have our LT in place, we have Flowers and Bowe, and over the next two offseasons we acquire a couple of rushbackers and a NT.

That would be the core, all the rest wiuld be role players, and that is all you really need to compete for a championship in this day and age.

Lots of "ifs," but this is pretty much how I see it, too. The hardest of the above to acquire, IMO, will be a NT.

Coogs
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM

This.

KC Tattoo
07-15-2009, 10:05 PM
2111season , 13-3 AFC champs, Superbowl Champs:D

KC Tattoo
07-15-2009, 10:08 PM
2111season , 13-3 AFC champs, Superbowl Champs:D

then it is the end of the world as we know it.

Chiefs=Good
07-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I think 4 years, but this will depend heavily on Cassel...

Oh and kudos to you Mr. Fax for making this thread, it has inspired some of the best 'football talk' I’ve read on here in a while...

Pioli Zombie
07-15-2009, 10:39 PM
How the hell can the Chiefs be tied with the Jets for the longest SB appearance drought? They didn't both go to the SB the same fucking year. The Chiefs might suck at 39 but Jets are suckerer at 40.
Posted via Mobile Device

JOhn
07-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Im thinking 2-3 years, depending on how our Receivers and O-line do. The defense I'm not so much worried about.

Yea I know defense wins championships, but a average to slightly better one will get us there IF Cassel has the O-line to protect him & receivers who we can count on.

JOhn
07-16-2009, 12:23 AM

(^^%$)(_+(

I STILL have serious issues with that motherf*cking pick!!!!!!!!!!:cuss::banghead::#:$2500:Raiduhs:bang:

googlegoogle
07-16-2009, 12:29 AM
results this year. seriously.

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2009, 12:31 AM
2069... we are the NFL's Cubs, right?

FAX
07-16-2009, 12:45 AM
(^^%$)(_+(

I STILL have serious issues with that motherf*cking pick!!!!!!!!!!:cuss::banghead::#:$2500:Raiduhs:bang:

And for good reason, Mr. JOhn. For good reason. But, look on the bright side. The good news is that, after that fiasco, we stopped drafting quarterbacks at all. Problem solved.

------------

By the way ... this message is for all those who may be somewhat unfamiliar with the history of professional football ...

The NFL merger took place in 1970 - the year of the first AFC Championship game. There was no AFC Championship prior to that time, because there was no AFC. There was the AFL. That was 39 years ago.

There are five teams who have not won an AFC Championship; the Browns, the Texans, the Jags, the Jets, and the Chiefs. Of these, two are expansion teams and one is a new/old team that reconstituted itself in (I think) 1999, or so.

This means that only two teams have existed in their current form since the merger: the Chiefs and the Jets. Therefore, two teams hold the record for the longest drought without winning an AFC Championship; the Chiefs and the Jets.

Thank you for your time and attention.

FAX

beach tribe
07-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Get us where in 3 years?

Winning a playoff game?

I agree.

I they even MADE an AFC Championship Game in the next 5 years, I'd be pleasantly ****ing ecstatic.
People don't understand that a few great players elevate the the others around them, and turn them into solid starters. There is talent on this team.Some of these guys can play. We just need key pieces.

Just Passin' By
07-16-2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.yankeepotroast.org/image/laverneshirley.jpg

Raised On Riots
07-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Within five years.

That's an all too familiar refrain; nuthooks for you!

In 2012, we go to the AFC Championship.

Raised On Riots
07-16-2009, 09:01 AM

And with good reason. His influence on this franchise is deep and abiding, apparently content to stay and going nowhere.
And under Pioli, I can assure you that once Cassel's career is over, Mr. Blackledge will STILL retain his in-house record as the last first rounder ever drafted by the Chiefs.