PDA

View Full Version : Science Iontophoretic Administration...Anyone had it?

Buehler445
07-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Pretty neat stuff.

So I have tendinitis in my patellar tendon. It sucks a dick. But I'm in at the Physical Therapist today getting this diagnosis. Then he tells me I'm going to get this procedure. He says it is basically a cortisone shot. But they don't like to give those anymore because of all the cartilage deterioration.

So the way this works is they put the Dexamethasone (cortisone) on and electrical pad. They then put the pad on my knee with another pad on the other side. He says the way it works is the Dexamethasone has a negative ionic charge. So the pad has a negative electrode attached to push the junk off of the pad. The other pad will have a positive electrode and will pull the gunk through my knee.

Didn't hurt, but I could feel a little burning sensation. It took about 30 minutes.

Pretty Sci-Fi way of getting a shot.

I tried to look up some more info on it, but the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iontophoresis) was the only think I could remotely understand.

Anybody else ever have this done?

Gonzo
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a magnet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
07-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Am I the only nerdtacular that thinks this shit is interesting?

FAX
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Am I the only nerdtacular that thinks this shit is interesting?

LOL

Actually, I've had a very similar procedure conducted on my back, Mr. Buehler445. It was performed at a local PT clinic. In my case, this really cute, little, petite, athletic blond with perfect teeth rubbed some goo on my back and then put some kind of pads that had zappers in them on top of the goo. She moved the pad around and "Voila!!" in a few minutes, my back felt better. I asked her about it and she said the electricity in the pad somehow forces the active ingredients in the goo deep down into the tissues.

In my case, she didn't put something on the other side, so I don't think it's exactly the same, Mr. Buehler445 ... but similar. Apparently, they've figured out how to use electricity and magnetism in non-invasive therapies as part of an effort to treat deep tissue or joint pain. I'm all for it, frankly.

Eventually, they'll figure out how specific cells actually function, though. When that happens, some very interesting non-invasive therapies can be developed. I foresee a time when they'll be able to send particles, or perhaps certain amino acids and proteins, into the affected area. These particles would contain or carry specific commands to specific cells which then respond according to the commands they're given. For example, chronic inflammation could be treated by telling monocytes to abandon ship and go the hell away. I don't think we're far away from treatments like that.

FAX

Buehler445
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Heh. Good deal Mr. FAX. I'm glad that worked out for you and I'm not the only loon on the board :D

I'm also glad your nurse was hot. Mine was the doctor and he was this really upbeat old guy. I'd say he'd have to be older than 65. He reminded me of the character Dick Van Dyke played on scrubs for an episode or two.

Either way, this stuff sound better than the needle. I'm not at all afraid of needles, but this definitely appears to be a superior method.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
07-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Heh. Good deal Mr. FAX. I'm glad that worked out for you and I'm not the only loon on the board :D

I'm also glad your nurse was hot. Mine was the doctor and he was this really upbeat old guy. I'd say he'd have to be older than 65. He reminded me of the character Dick Van Dyke played on scrubs for an episode or two.

Either way, this stuff sound better than the needle. I'm not at all afraid of needles, but this definitely appears to be a superior method.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can have all the needles you want, Mr. Buehler445. You can even have mine. I hate the damn things.

But, you're right, there's a limited number of cortisone shots a person can have in a particular joint before the cartilage begins to deteriorate. It's best to avoid them, if you can.

I think the future of medicine is actually going to be a form of nano-technology. Once we've fully understood cellular function (which we're just beginning to grasp now), the DNA molecule, and the means whereby cells discriminate between various proteins with which they come into contact, an entirely new world of therapies will emerge.

Each cell, after all, is just a teeny, little factory that houses dozens upon dozens of individual machines that provide specific functions under specific conditions. All we have to do is learn how to place an order with the factory correctly, make sure that the factory has all the necessary raw materials it needs to fulfill the order, and we're home free. No more auto-immune disease, no more cancer, no more permanent nerve damage, etc. It's coming ... if we survive long enough to see it.

FAX

Buehler445
07-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Wow. I did not think this thread would flop so badly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lumpy
07-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Fear not Buehler. It was an interesting read. :thumb: This is the first I've ever heard of this procedure.

stumppy
07-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Oops, sorry to bother you but I can't seem to find my way around today. Was looking for the girly pic thread. Carry on.

rockymtnchief
07-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I wood have replyd but yoo used reelly big werds an I dint want to sownd dum.

I've never heard of the procedure. I assume they use it for other joints also?

stumppy
07-16-2009, 09:44 AM

Where do you think they got the idea to begin with ? You put fire on one side of a joint and your mouth on the other. The smoke goes all the way through the joint and bingo, you're stoned. Basically the same thing.

FAX
07-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey! What are my posts? Chopped liver?

I can't believe it. The other day, I get pounded because Mr. pr_capone couldn't get completely invisible with his buzzed nut (as if that's somehow my fault) and now this. Well I promise you this one thing right here; this is the last time I try to help you out with one of your threads from Incomprehensible City, Mr. Buehler445. I promise you that.

FAX THE PROMISED YOU THAT

CoMoChief
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I went to the Dr's office and this cute little blonde came in, rockin body, great smile,

Then I fucked her and went home.

Thread over.

rockymtnchief
07-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I went to the Dr's office and this cute little blonde came in, rockin body, great smile,

Then I ****ed her and went home.

Thread over.

Hmmm...I had something similar happen to me!

Went to the Dr's office and this cute brunette came in, rockin body, great smile,

Then she put a finger up my ass. I went home and showered and cried.

Buehler445
07-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I wood have replyd but yoo used reelly big werds an I dint want to sownd dum.

Heh. You should try googling it. There are a few articles on it. And they use gigundous words. I read one and my head exploded.

Prior to the explosion though, I did see where they used it for tennis elbow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Oops, sorry to bother you but I can't seem to find my way around today. Was looking for the girly pic thread. Carry on.

ROFL. You clicked on iontophoretic and expected half nekkid women? What's the matter with you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey! What are my posts? Chopped liver?

I can't believe it. The other day, I get pounded because Mr. pr_capone couldn't get completely invisible with his buzzed nut (as if that's somehow my fault) and now this. Well I promise you this one thing right here; this is the last time I try to help you out with one of your threads from Incomprehensible City, Mr. Buehler445. I promise you that.

FAX THE PROMISED YOU THAT

That's what's so surprising, Mr. FAX, you gloriously came in and tried to save my POS thread with your witty and illustrious posts and it STILL got no response. I picked a thread so horrid that even the almighty Mr. FAX couldn't save it.

Sad day in history.

In other news, I need to read up on PRs electrified nut.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Hmmm...I had something similar happen to me!

Went to the Dr's office and this cute brunette came in, rockin body, great smile,

Then she put a finger up my ass. I went home and showered and cried.

Bad day at the office.

ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device