PDA

View Full Version : Football The best linebacker in NFL history.

Direckshun
07-16-2009, 03:37 AM
Terrell Suggs.

Apparently.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9810506/Suggs-reaches-six-year,-$63M-deal-with-Ravens

Suggs reaches six-year, $63M deal with Ravens
Updated: July 15, 2009, 10:55 PM EDT

BALTIMORE (AP) - Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs signed a six-year, $63 million contract Wednesday, making him the highest-paid linebacker in NFL history.

The contract, which assures him $38 million in guaranteed money, provides a long-term solution to Suggs' unsettled status as the team's franchise player.

"I'm looking forward to showing them that they didn't make a mistake and they got the right guy," said Suggs, the Ravens' franchise player for the past two seasons. The 6-foot-3, 260-pounder had until 4 p.m. Wednesday to work out a deal or face being stuck with the franchise tag for another year.

"I am glad it is over. Now we can get back to football," Suggs said. "Getting this done took compromises on both ends. I wanted to stay in purple and black, the Ravens wanted to keep me in purple in black, and they stepped up and showed me that."

Had Suggs not signed, he would have played the season for $10.17 million and become a free agent next season.

"Getting a deal done with Terrell is consistent with our history of retaining our best Pro Bowl players, like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Jonathan Ogden, Todd Heap and Jamal Lewis," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "Securing Terrell for six seasons gives us a premier pass-rusher whose ability to stop the run does not get enough credit."

During his six years with the Ravens, Suggs has 53 sacks, forced 19 fumbles and has not missed a game. He led Baltimore with eight sacks last season and added four more in the postseason, including two in the AFC championship game against Pittsburgh after missing an entire week of practice with a shoulder injury.

"This will be Suggs' seventh season, and he is still a young player," Newsome said. "Remember, he came to us as a 20-year old rookie after his junior year in college. This is a good day for the Ravens franchise."

The 26-year-old Suggs was selected by the Ravens out of Arizona State with the 10th overall pick in the 2003 draft. The three-time Pro Bowl selection is considered one of the best pass-rushers in the league, and has also returned two interceptions for touchdowns.

"I'm going to continue to be the dominant player I've always been," Suggs said. "My best years are ahead of me."

As a franchise player, Suggs could have missed most of training camp. Now he will be expected to report with the rest of the veterans during the last week in July.

"I was already excited to start training camp, and now having Terrell there makes it that much better," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "He is a great player, a tremendous person and an outstanding young leader. He's a foundation for our defense to stay at the highest level."

ChiefJustice
07-16-2009, 03:47 AM
Meh

Guru
07-16-2009, 04:07 AM
Might be the highest paid but definitely not the best.

JOhn
07-16-2009, 05:15 AM
THIS

PhillyChiefFan
07-16-2009, 05:18 AM
"I am glad it is over. Now we can get back to football," Suggs said. "Getting this done took compromises on both ends. I wanted to stay in purple and black, the Ravens wanted to keep me in purple in black, and they stepped up and showed me that."

What possible compromises could Suggs have made??? He is GUARENTEED $38 mil and is the highest paid linebacker in NFL history.

mikey23545
07-16-2009, 05:29 AM
What possible compromises could Suggs have made??? He is GUARENTEED $38 mil and is the highest paid linebacker in NFL history.

LMAO

Slainte
07-16-2009, 05:33 AM
What possible compromises could Suggs have made???

Suggs agreed to back the Brinks truck up to the back door himself. Ravens agreed to shovel cash into the truck until full. Compromise.

PhillyChiefFan
07-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Suggs agreed to back the Brinks truck up to the back door himself. Ravens agreed to shovel cash into the truck until full. Compromise.

It's nice to see some people still believe in the value of teamwork.

JD10367
07-16-2009, 07:35 AM

Yes. We don't retro-activate salaries to compare "highest-paid" with "best". By that logic, Tyler Thigpen is a better quarterback than Johnny Unitas. :spock:

cdcox
07-16-2009, 08:08 AM
It would be neat to have a historical data base of what every player got paid.

However even among current players expecting that the best player at a position will be the highest paid is naive. About the closest you could expect is that if the contract for the best player at a given position is up for negotiation, and if the first priority of that player is to "get paid", you might expect that player to be the highest paid player at their position at the time the contract is signed. That's it.

RJ
07-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Strange but true.......In today's market, he's worth that money. At 26 years old, his next 2-3 seasons should be among his best.

Fish
07-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Suggs is in the top 5 as far as current LBs IMO. Not the best though....

-King-
07-16-2009, 08:47 AM

LMAOO!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
07-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Suggs is in the top 5 as far as current LBs IMO. Not the best though....

Who are you comparing him too?

He's more end/rusher than he is pure LB...his ability to get to the QB at his age is why he has that type of contract.

Chiefnj2
07-16-2009, 08:49 AM

He's more end/rusher than he is pure LB...his ability to get to the QB at his age is why he has that type of contract.

You mean pass rushers get top dollar? You should have stepped out of the war room and told Carl not to let Allen get away.

Mecca
07-16-2009, 08:50 AM
You mean pass rushers get top dollar? You should have stepped out of the war room and told Carl not to let Allen get away.

The difference in that situation being that Suggs didn't handle himself like a total buffoon off the field or make comments about how he didn't want to play for them.

Fish
07-16-2009, 09:15 AM

I'm not comparing him to anyone really. I'm basing that on how much of an impact the individual has on his defensive unit, whether it be rushing the passer, tackling, leadership, etc.

Rough top ten IMO:

Demarcus Ware
Patrick Willis
Shawn Merriman
Kirk Morrison
Terrell Suggs
Jon Beason
Brian Urlacher (but fading)
Mike Peterson
Demeco Ryans
Lofa Tatupa

Consistent1
07-16-2009, 09:29 AM
If you are going to put Urlacher on that list, might as well put Lewis back in too. I heard that interview on ESPN last night where Suggs said that Ray is still the general. Over time, look at how many killer defenses that guy has been the captain of. Suggs does have his best years ahead. That could be a pretty nice amount of seasons. Suggs should end up being the leader of that traditionally great D. He was really most likely worth it given the market. You guys think Peppers is asking for peanuts and a couple beers?

Chiefnj2
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
The difference in that situation being that Suggs didn't handle himself like a total buffoon off the field or make comments about how he didn't want to play for them.

Who in their right mind would want to play for Carl and Herm?

alpha_omega
07-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't know about the best, but i wish we had him!

Chiefnj2
07-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm not comparing him to anyone really. I'm basing that on how much of an impact the individual has on his defensive unit, whether it be rushing the passer, tackling, leadership, etc.

Rough top ten IMO:

Demarcus Ware
Patrick Willis
Shawn Merriman
Kirk Morrison
Terrell Suggs
Jon Beason
Brian Urlacher (but fading)
Mike Peterson
Demeco Ryans
Lofa Tatupa

I find it impossible to compare 34 and 43 outside linebackers. IMO, Ware is the best 34 OLB, and then you have to decide whether you like youth - Woodley, Suggs or vets like Harrison or Porter. A darkhorse is Haralson who might be excelling because of Willis next to him.

Hydrae
07-16-2009, 09:49 AM
If you are going to put Urlacher on that list, might as well put Lewis back in too. I heard that interview on ESPN last night where Suggs said that Ray is still the general. Over time, look at how many killer defenses that guy has been the captain of. Suggs does have his best years ahead. That could be a pretty nice amount of seasons. Suggs should end up being the leader of that traditionally great D. He was really most likely worth it given the market. You guys think Peppers is asking for peanuts and a couple beers?

I saw that interview last night as well and I have no problem with the situation. He is paid more than other linebackers but less than the highest paid DE's. I agree that he should get something in the middle there which is exactly what happened. It is really a bit of a misnomer to call him just a linebacker.

Buck
07-16-2009, 09:59 AM
This scares me because both Merriman's and Rivers' contracts are up at the end of this year. I know that Rivers is probably the priority for the Chargers, and Merriman is going to ask for at least what Suggs got.

Mecca
07-16-2009, 10:02 AM
This scares me because both Merriman's and Rivers' contracts are up at the end of this year. I know that Rivers is probably the priority for the Chargers, and Merriman is going to ask for at least what Suggs got.

The Chargers are already preparing like he's not coming back...I'm sure you know that.

Buck
07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
The Chargers are already preparing like he's not coming back...I'm sure you know that.

Yeah, but they still have the Franchise Tag.

Also if next year is uncapped, I believe he becomes an RFA.

A man can dream.

Consistent1
07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I saw that interview last night as well and I have no problem with the situation. He is paid more than other linebackers but less than the highest paid DE's. I agree that he should get something in the middle there which is exactly what happened. It is really a bit of a misnomer to call him just a linebacker.

That is true. He did mention that compromise. The interesting thing is that Peppers wanted to go somewhere and play OLB. Should he get less for that? It just seems like there is all this "3-4" fever going around. Peppers to me just saw Ware and Harrison last year and got starry eyes to put up big numbers. Does he want to give up that DE salary? Suggs was a deal when you consider that Merriman and Ware will prolly recieve some insane deals. Might as well keep the guy before the market goes even more apeshit.

Bowser
07-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Every year from here on out we are likely to have a "most paid athlete at X postion in NFL history".

RJ
07-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Every year from here on out we are likely to have a "most paid athlete at X postion in NFL history".

In this economy? Heck, it will probably be just like the old days soon. They'll all be selling insurance and driving beer trucks in the off season.

Or not....

JD10367
07-16-2009, 10:28 AM

If next year is uncapped, you might see a lot more than one.

Pestilence
07-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah, but they still have the Franchise Tag.

Also if next year is uncapped, I believe he becomes an RFA.

A man can dream.

I wonder if they'll franchise Merriman as a LB or a DE. Suggs had a problem with that when he got franchised. If I remember correctly....a LB costs less on the franchise tag than a DE does.

Consistent1
07-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Hell, they are all going to end up so broke that they have to resort to begging. Let's just be real about it.

Dylan
07-16-2009, 10:45 AM

THIS

This and that ...

Stanley Nickels
07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Six years, 63 Mil makes him the highest paid linebacker ever.
If he were a quarterback, he'd be Matt Cassel.

Halfcan
07-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Ray Lewis is probably so pissed about this-he could KILL someone.