PDA

View Full Version : News Soren Petro wins Journalist of the year

Farzin
07-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I've had the opportunity of interviewing him a couple times on my show and currently working with him. Not surprised at all. Congrats to Soren!

http://bottomlinecom.com/kcnews/sorenpetromcguffaward.html

PETRO NAMED SPORTS JOURNALIST OF THE YEAR
Long-time Kansas City sports talk show host Soren Petro will receive the prestigious "Joe McGuff Sports Journalist of the Year" award tonight at the 37th Annual SPORTKC PROPS Awards banquet at the Midland Theatre.
The legendary McGuff, who died at the age of 79, was a long-time sports journalist and editor at the Kansas City Star. A major civic leader, McGuff was credited with being a reason Kansas City landed the KC Royals baseball franchise in 1969.
Petro, 37, who has 14 years of broadcast experience, currently hosts "The Program with Soren Petro" weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on WHB-810 AM.
Born in St. Louis, he grew up in Kansas City and graduated from Shawnee Mission East in 1989. He went on to receive a degree from Syracuse University.
After a series of radio positions with SportsFan Radio Network and three years in Las Vegas, he returned to KC in 1999 to 980 KMBZ, where he worked with legendary sports talker Don Fortune during a 4 1/2-year stint before joining WHB.
Also being honored at the event will be (semi-) retired KMBC-TV9 sports legend and former Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Len Dawson, who will receive the "Lamar Hunt Lifetime Achievement Award."
See all award winners: http://www.sportkc.org/sportkc.aspx?pgID=866&event_id=159

Bowser
07-16-2009, 09:36 PM
It's been said on here numerous times that Petro has far and away the best sports talk show in KC. Congrats to him.

And hey, Farzin. Since you work with Soren, could you tell him and his crew that they need to cut back on all the freaking commercials? Thanks, much appreciated.

FAX
07-16-2009, 09:37 PM
That's cool. Good for him. As Mr. Bowser said, he's the best in town. Please pass along my congratulations to him.

FAX

Farzin
07-16-2009, 09:39 PM
And hey, Farzin. Since you work with Soren, could you tell him and his crew that they need to cut back on all the freaking commercials? Thanks, much appreciated.

I think it'd be awesome if Soren never advertised anything and just spoke about sports during his four hour show. But think about it. How else would radio shows make money if they don't plug and advertise their sponsors and play their commercials?

Bowser
07-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I think it'd be awesome if Soren never advertised anything and just spoke about sports during his four hour show. But think about it. How else would radio shows make money if they don't plug and advertise their sponsors and play their commercials?

I don't care about that! I want to hear more about how Curtis farts after he finishes the Thickburgers nobody else can handle! :D

Please do pass along congrats to him. His show entertains as well as informs.

FAX
07-16-2009, 09:45 PM

There are plenty of ways, Mr. Farzin. The first thing that comes to mind is prostitution. But, there's also dog walking, Improvisational Pig Latin Classes for Tourettes sufferers, and Tupperware sales. They've just got to apply themselves.

FAX

Farzin
07-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Haha. I'll definitely pass it on to him.

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Congrats.

Oh, and please tell him that if he continues to advocate that the wonderfully inept GM of the Royals get two more years, we're going to pull the award.

BWillie
07-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Soren Petro is a dbag.

Hammock Parties
07-16-2009, 10:19 PM
I remember when he slammed Nicholas Athan. That was real professional.

Reerun_KC
07-16-2009, 10:23 PM

ROFL

If Athan was a professional writer, your take might warrant some consideration...

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 10:25 PM

You didn't even hear it.

Although it's ironic that one has to be careful with the spelling of his name to avoid the filter.

FAX
07-16-2009, 10:35 PM
And the thread goes full WPI in ten posts. Not a record, but close.

FAX

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Never go full WPI.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Congrats to Soren, really nice guy in person and definetly talks to you personally and lets you know exactly how he feels about things. I had the pleasure to meet him on new years eve at garozzo's. He talked to the gf and I for about 30 minutes about the chiefs, and his wife was really nice too.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Soren Petro is a dbag.

lemme guess you're a chris and cowboy fan

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Congrats to Soren, really nice guy in person and definetly talks to you personally and lets you know exactly how he feels about things. I had the pleasure to meet him on new years eve at garozzo's. He talked to the gf and I for about 30 minutes about the chiefs, great stuff. He felt honored that we listened to his show and were fans of his, very gracious to us.

:hmmm:

Or he was creeping on some strange, your strange to be exact.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 10:47 PM
:hmmm:

Or he was creeping on some strange, your strange to be exact.

ROFL

We met Stephen st john and i think his brother who is basically a taller version of him. He cracked me up too

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 10:50 PM
ROFL

We met Stephen st john and i think his brother who is basically a taller version of him. He cracked me up too

I'd tip back a few cold ones with those dudes.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 10:52 PM
I'd tip back a few cold ones with those dudes.
definetly, im curious what they REALLY think of the royals, cause it's so much on CP level when i talked to soren about the chiefs and herm, it was great.

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 10:56 PM
definetly, im curious what they REALLY think of the royals, cause it's so much on CP level when i talked to soren about the chiefs and herm, it was great.

He'd shred 'em, I think. Today he was pretty adamant about how badly Moore had fucked up all of his off-season acquisitions. And you know Petro is as into the statistical analysis as Rany, so I'm sure he's about ready to jump off a bridge, too, with all the crazy talk coming out of the K.

If Gil is officially put on the DL, Petro is going to go bat shit crazy on air, and he'll burn Hillman down.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 11:08 PM
He'd shred 'em, I think. Today he was pretty adamant about how badly Moore had ****ed up all of his off-season acquisitions. And you know Petro is as into the statistical analysis as Rany, so I'm sure he's about ready to jump off a bridge, too, with all the crazy talk coming out of the K.

If Gil is officially put on the DL, Petro is going to go bat shit crazy on air, and he'll burn Hillman down.

I definetly wouldn't mind hearing that....i wonder if KK is still mr positive about the royals? I remember he was a few months ago but i seem to have not caught much royals talk lately when he is on the air. It was all about frank boal it seemed the last time i caught BTL after work.

BWillie
07-17-2009, 01:59 AM
lemme guess you're a chris and cowboy fan

Yep. I love those guys. Soren is much better than Nick Wright, but when he goes off on those whiney tangents when callers don't agree with him it is annoying. I get the impression that he's a sports nerd.

JohnnyV13
07-17-2009, 02:14 AM
I always thought Petro was a putz when he was paired with Don Fortune. Then I left KC. Apparently, he's gotten a lot better.

the Talking Can
07-17-2009, 04:17 AM
he's a journalist?

sparkky
07-17-2009, 07:22 AM
congrats to Petro.
when I go back to KC he's the only show I give a rat's ass about listening to.

LaChapelle
07-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Being called the best in KC is not that flattering.

Farzin
07-17-2009, 04:38 PM
ROFL

If Athan was a professional writer, your take might warrant some consideration...

ROFL

Crush
07-17-2009, 04:46 PM

THE DEAL IS DONE!!!

Stewie
07-18-2009, 06:38 AM
I remember a Petro interview with Dick Vermeil. It was really good, and when the interview was over Vermeil said, "Thank you. And thank you for being so well prepared for this interview." I think that's about as high a compliment someone in broadcasting could receive.

I've always liked Petro for basically the same reason. The guy's on the air for four hours a day, but he must spend another eight hours prepping for those shows.

He's opinionated and talks over people who call in that disagree with him, which is annoying. I know no one is perfect.

milkman
07-18-2009, 07:43 AM
He's opinionated and talks over people who call in that disagree with him, which is annoying. I know no one is perfect.

Almost every talk show host I've ever heard does the same thing.

Coach
07-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Congrats.

Oh, and please tell him that if he continues to advocate that the wonderfully inept GM of the Royals get two more years, we're going to pull the award.

This. I would more than likely be happy to go on the show and explain my reasonings why Dayton should be on the hot seat this year, if not, at least next season.

Dave Lane
07-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Very deserving he is Kansas City's best.

Dave Lane
07-18-2009, 08:15 AM
This. I would more than likely be happy to go on the show and explain my reasonings why Dayton should be on the hot seat this year, if not, at least next season.

I would like to hear how someone that took over a team and farm system devoid of talent and made several good deals for the Royal, granted mostly on the pitching side, is "on the hot seat". Baseball is not like football a turnaround in baseball is like steering an ocean liner. It takes lots of time to complete the turn.

Coach
07-18-2009, 08:26 AM
I would like to hear how someone that took over a team and farm system devoid of talent and made several good deals for the Royal, granted mostly on the pitching side, is "on the hot seat". Baseball is not like football a turnaround in baseball is like steering an ocean liner. It takes lots of time to complete the turn.

But at the same time, he made terrible decisions in terms of acquiring Hillman, who had never played, coached or managed in Major League Baseball prior to his hiring by the Royals. He also obtained the likes of Kyle Farnsworth, Yasuhiko Yabuta, Brett Tomko, and several others in there.

Hell, it took him this freaking long just to DFA Tony Pena Jr, and I could had done that well even before the season started, because the fact is, Tony Pena Jr is NOT a MLB SS. Hell, he's not even a AA SS for that matter.

But it is the recent decisions he made, IMHO, should put him on the hot seat, because they all have failed thus far (with the exception of Yuniesky Betancourt since it's too early to get a ruling on him, but his history shows that the result may not end well).

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Tom hits his tee shot on 3 right and into a pot bunker...

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Moreno drops his tee shot into the fairway bunker also

Coach
07-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Wrong thread WTI. Heh.

milkman
07-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Wrong thread WTI. Heh.

The board is trippin'.

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Wondered what happened to those posts...

Dave Lane
07-18-2009, 08:59 AM
OK Then give me wwhat you would have done given the resources and players that the Royals have? Trade Grienke for a SS or what? The dude is totally handcuffed in which free agents he can sign (No $10-15 mill a year types) its hard to work trades without giving up something you need. I feel sorry for Dayton. I think the Royals have made excellent progress and have 3/4 of what they need by having the basis for a excellent pitching staff. One more #2 or #3 starter that is quality and the staff starts looking really good. Hitting is easier to come by than pitching so I think this off season then goal will be a few bats with a little pop in them and some lighter hitting average guys. If we can get our last years 1st round pics up to the club in the next couple years and make a couple other movies this team is ready to go.

But at the same time, he made terrible decisions in terms of acquiring Hillman, who had never played, coached or managed in Major League Baseball prior to his hiring by the Royals. He also obtained the likes of Kyle Farnsworth, Yasuhiko Yabuta, Brett Tomko, and several others in there.

Hell, it took him this freaking long just to DFA Tony Pena Jr, and I could had done that well even before the season started, because the fact is, Tony Pena Jr is NOT a MLB SS. Hell, he's not even a AA SS for that matter.

But it is the recent decisions he made, IMHO, should put him on the hot seat, because they all have failed thus far (with the exception of Yuniesky Betancourt since it's too early to get a ruling on him, but his history shows that the result may not end well).

Mr. Krab
07-18-2009, 09:23 AM
I can't stand Petro.

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Dave, I don't think there can be any defense of Moore's moves. I have to relieve him of the Guillen signing, because Hunter was the target and he flew the coop at the 11th hour, leaving Moore with no other option for a (sic) power bat.

I've given Jacobs more time than anybody, yet he has been nothing but a disaster.

Hillman has also been a disaster. Last night being another chapter in the long biography of boneheaded mistakes made by a manager who is in way over his head. Hillman has such a reverse midas touch that he has picked a 3rd base coach that has been a disaster. How many 3rd base coaches can you name? Everybody knows this guy because he has a knack for getting guys nailed at the plate in critical situations or holding guys and getting them standed.

This team has had a player forced out at HOME PLATE from RF. Not all of that is on Hillman as the team is full of guys who lack any leadership at all. Guys get doubled off from the outfield in the same inning. This team badly needs a monster bat that can make a group of complimentary players a competitive team.

This team is a remake of the 55 Kansas City A's.

IN Moore's defense he has infused money into the minor league system. Other than that his tenure looks no different than Baird or Herk. The results speak for themselves. The Royals have (supposedly) received 100mil in revenue sharing/luxury tax. That's before a single ticket, hot dog or fireworks tube has been lit.

And after starting 18-11, all we have to show for it a 19-41 record, wiht last nights loss the knife in the heart with Soria sitting in the pen while the lead evaporates.

The Bad Guy
07-18-2009, 09:30 AM

Wahhh. All these guys are ganging up on my boyfriend. Wahhhh.

Maybe if that clown didn't basically make a mockery of himself pretending to be a real journalist, they wouldn't have anything to slam him about.

If Nick wants to put himself out there with ridiculous stories, then he can take the abuse that comes with being wrong all of the time.

Ask Nick about Corey Dillon signing with the Chiefs when Vermeil first took over. I'm still waiting for it to happen.

Coach
07-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Dave, I don't think there can be any defense of Moore's moves. I have to relieve him of the Guillen signing, because Hunter was the target and he flew the coop at the 11th hour, leaving Moore with no other option for a (sic) power bat.

I've given Jacobs more time than anybody, yet he has been nothing but a disaster.

Hillman has also been a disaster. Last night being another chapter in the long biography of boneheaded mistakes made by a manager who is in way over his head. Hillman has such a reverse midas touch that he has picked a 3rd base coach that has been a disaster. How many 3rd base coaches can you name? Everybody knows this guy because he has a knack for getting guys nailed at the plate in critical situations or holding guys and getting them standed.

This team has had a player forced out at HOME PLATE from RF. Not all of that is on Hillman as the team is full of guys who lack any leadership at all. Guys get doubled off from the outfield in the same inning. This team badly needs a monster bat that can make a group of complimentary players a competitive team.

IN Moore's defense he has infused money into the minor league system. Other than that his tenure looks no different than Baird or Herk. The results speak for themselves. The Royals have (supposedly) received 100mil in revenue sharing/luxury tax. That's before a single ticket, hot dog or fireworks tube has been lit.

And after starting 18-11, all we have to show for it a 19-41 record, wiht last nights loss the knife in the heart with Soria sitting in the pen while the lead evaporates.

This.

Skip Towne
07-18-2009, 10:35 AM

I'd put my money on Vic Power, "Suitcase" Simpson, Clete Boyer and co. if the Royals played the '55 A's.

Skip Towne
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM

GoChiefs should be infracted for bypassing the filter. He purposely wrote "Nicholas Athan" because he knew he would get this if he wrote Nick Athan

Archie F. Swin
07-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Congrats to Petro. The man is a pro...the most well prepared sports talkie I've ever heard.