PDA

View Full Version : Royals Hillman to be Royals Manager in 2010....

petegz28
07-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Well, there goes my re-newing season tickets...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1332649-p2.html
Another heads-up came in a few days ago. These can put Trey Hillman in a bad mood. They seem to be coming more often now.

Here’s how it usually goes: someone close to Hillman reads or hears something bad, something critical, someone saying the Royals have an ineffective manager and, well, wouldn’t the team be better off with a change?

Hillman swears he doesn’t read the newspaper, doesn’t listen to sports talk radio, doesn’t check out any blogs or message boards. But much of what’s out there gets back to him.

Some of it he wants to hear, it’s part of his job, he says, a way to monitor what fans are thinking and what reporters may be asking. Some of it, though, he’d rather do without. It’s tough to read that people want you fired.

“Does it bother me?” he says. “On occasion? Yeah.”

A year-and-a-half into the job, Hillman is trying his best to block out the growing criticism from fans and media around one of the most disappointing Royals seasons in recent memory.

This was the year the Royals were supposed to compete in a weak AL Central, remember? Sure looked that way when the team started 18-11, in first place and with starter Zack Greinke the talk of the bigger baseball world.

That’s all been swallowed up in a remarkable fall, losses in 42 of 61 games, turning a three-game division lead into an 11 1/2 -game deficit, turning May hopes into July anger. Much of that has been directed at Hillman, fueling speculation about his job security.

So it’s interesting that general manager Dayton Moore — who is taking criticism himself — now tells The Star that Hillman will remain with the Royals not only this season, but next season as well.

“Absolutely,” he says. “We’re all in this thing together. You can’t keep changing managers and coaches. Continuity is very, very important. If you’ve got people who work hard and people who care and are smart, you stick with them. Because if you stick together through the tough times, we’ve got a chance to win here and do something special long-term.

“You just can’t keep reshuffling

Fan bases of most every team in baseball criticize their manager, of course. It’s part of the job. The list of criticisms of Hillman is long.

He’s been knocked for bunting too much, bunting too little and bunting in the wrong situations. He’s taken hits for his handling of Joakim Soria’s shoulder injury, for leaving Gil Meche in games too long and taking Greinke out too soon.

Meche, who struggled early in the season with back issues, threw 132 pitches in a complete-game shutout. He then complained of having a “dead arm,” struggled through a couple of terrible starts, thought about skipping his turn in the rotation, and then was allowed to throw 121 pitches in his next start. He is now on the disabled list.

Hillman’s substitutions have started arguments among fans. Once in Cleveland, he used Luis Hernandez as a pinch hitter when he had Mark Teahen available. Teahen later came in as a pinch runner.

The bullpen was supposed to be one of the team’s biggest strengths this season. Even with Soria’s shoulder problems, most observers thought there was enough depth to be one of the AL’s better units. Instead, the Royals already have nearly matched last year’s total of blown leads in late innings.

Other criticisms are more big picture. He’s not an effective motivator. He’s too sensitive. He juggles the lineup too much. The Royals have regressed defensively and on the basepaths in each of the last two seasons.

Pioli Zombie
07-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Ah there's good news tonight!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
07-19-2009, 07:45 AM
This part was enough to solidify my decision.....Moore is a dumbass

Moore’s lists of defenses for Hillman are as long as the criticisms. Hillman is accountable, Moore says, with “tremendous” leadership skills, good preparation and work ethic.

He’s smart and passionate, and those are two things Moore likes. Moore says he hopes Hillman doesn’t change anything, because “Trey has the chance to be one of the very best baseball men in a generation.” He then mentions that Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox and Joe Torre each took harsh criticism early in their careers.

The injuries are skewing the Royals’ win-loss record, Moore says, and with it the judgments of Hillman’s performance. Moore still believes in his guy, as much as he did the day he made the hire.

And no matter what anybody else thinks, Moore’s opinion is the one that matters most.

“I anticipate us having a strong second half,” Moore says. “I expect Trey Hillman to be a big part of that in the second half, and in the future. I expect him to be a big part of it.”

PHOG
07-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm curious to see what his 91st different line-up will look like today.

May be a slight exageration, but not by much. :rolleyes:

ChiTown
07-19-2009, 08:36 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

DaWolf
07-19-2009, 09:35 AM
“I anticipate us having a strong second half,” Moore says. “I expect Trey Hillman to be a big part of that in the second half, and in the future. I expect him to be a big part of it.”

When this doesn't materialize, I think the pressure will build to fire the guy. Moore's neck is on the line as well.

But I don't disagree with him in general. I think this franchise does need some continuity, not going out and finding the next guy who is going to lose 100 games. But I just think Hillman was the wrong choice, and Moore is going to go down with this decision...

Coach
07-19-2009, 10:42 AM
When this doesn't materialize, I think the pressure will build to fire the guy. Moore's neck is on the line as well.

But I don't disagree with him in general. I think this franchise does need some continuity, not going out and finding the next guy who is going to lose 100 games. But I just think Hillman was the wrong choice, and Moore is going to go down with this decision...

I don't think it will all tie directly into getting Hillman, but his baseball decisions may do him in. Getting Kyle Farnsworth? Mike Jacobs? Even getting Sidney Ponson and shelling out 2 years, $6 million to Yasuhiko Yabuta, who is currently in the minors....

Farzin
07-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Seriously..you should all forget about the Royals next year and go see the Wizards :D

petegz28
07-19-2009, 11:17 AM
you go 19-42 over a 61 game stretch and the manager's job is safe??? The Royals will be lucky to win 60 games this year

Sure-Oz
07-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I knew he wouldn't be fired after this year, hell everyone knew that he'd atleast get 2010

anyway this can be moved to the royals repository??

petegz28
07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
I knew he wouldn't be fired after this year, hell everyone knew that he'd atleast get 2010

anyway this can be moved to the royals repository??

No. This sort of suckage desreves its own thread :D

Sure-Oz
07-19-2009, 11:50 AM
No. This sort of suckage desreves its own thread :D

ROFL

Who knows, in the NFL that is usually the kiss of death, but i somehow doubt it in this case. Granted DM gave Hillman really nothing to work with this year but the last 2 games have been very painful on his moves....Soria could've pitched 2 easy last night

Farzin
07-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I'd love to see George Brett do another interview. He was more than happy to stick up for Trey Hillman and tell the media they don't know what they're talking about. Where is he now? Does he still respect Hillman for his managing abilities? He was sick and tired of the media criticizing him. I wonder if he's sick and tired of all this losing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9ft_7UeEw&feature=channel_page

Sure-Oz
07-19-2009, 12:00 PM
George has hid, there is nothing to defend

Reaper16
07-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah... we'll see after the season whether the song stays the same.

58kcfan89
07-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Knowing our luck, the team will absolutely suck for the next month & a half and have a great September again, definitely giving Hillman another year and giving Moore no reason to address any part of the team. So we head into 2010 with the same lineup (maybe 1 marginal addition) and pitching staff, expecting to compete.... The cycle never ends.

ChiefaRoo
07-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't think many of you guys realize how completely destroyed the Royals have been for the past decade plus. I agree with Moore. This team desperately needs continuity and no drama. If mgmt continues to bring in better players and spend the necessary $$ for them it'll come together.

Farzin
07-19-2009, 01:45 PM
By any chance, does Barry provide Blue Kool Aid?

petegz28
07-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think many of you guys realize how completely destroyed the Royals have been for the past decade plus. I agree with Moore. This team desperately needs continuity and no drama. If mgmt continues to bring in better players and spend the necessary $$ for them it'll come together.

The only continuity we are getting is piss poor decisions and overpriced players

Reaper16
07-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I do realize just how gutted and bare the organization was/is.

As to your other points: How does continuity serve the team if the pieces are terrible? Do you see Hillman becoming even adequate at his job? No drama? I think that the manager being called out for his bone-headed decisions every single night counts as drama.

Also, "continues to bring in better players and spend the necessary $$ for them?" I wasn't aware that that had begun in the first place.

DeezNutz
07-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Hillman will look a lot better when Gordon starts raking and Mike Mistakeous is called up and lights the league on fire.

ChiefaRoo
07-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I do realize just how gutted and bare the organization was/is.

As to your other points: How does continuity serve the team if the pieces are terrible? Do you see Hillman becoming even adequate at his job? No drama? I think that the manager being called out for his bone-headed decisions every single night counts as drama.

Also, "continues to bring in better players and spend the necessary $$ for them?" I wasn't aware that that had begun in the first place.

I read in the Star last year the Royals payroll was as high as it's ever been. Jacobs, Crisp and the rest were paid well. Meche maybe on the downside of his career and the young guys are still developing. I don't get to see many Royals games but Hillman did have a good track record turning around the Japanese team he managed from what I've read.

How can you guys advocate dumping the manager after two seasons? I don't get some Royals fans. How can you want to keep Sweeney and shit can Greinke when he flaked out ( a couple of seasons ago) and now want to flush the manager because of some in game mistakes. Hell they all make mistakes. This organization needs time to grow and a strong financial commitment by the ownership. More pitching and more power in the lineup.

Sully
07-19-2009, 02:55 PM
We can hire and fire coaches as much as we want. It doesn't matter.
Like a caller on the post game show said the other night, if you show up to a gunfight every night with a knife, it doesn't matter who the manager is.

Reaper16
07-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I read in the Star last year the Royals payroll was as high as it's ever been. Jacobs, Crisp and the rest were paid well. Meche maybe on the downside of his career and the young guys are still developing. I don't get to see many Royals games but Hillman did have a good track record turning around the Japanese team he managed from what I've read.

How can you guys advocate dumping the manager after two seasons? I don't get some Royals fans. How can you want to keep Sweeney and shit can Greinke when he flaked out ( a couple of seasons ago) and now want to flush the manager because of some in game mistakes. Hell they all make mistakes. This organization needs time to grow and a strong financial commitment by the ownership. More pitching and more power in the lineup.
I will ignore the sweeney/greinke/false comparison comment.

'Some' in-game mistakes? Hillman might have cost this team over ten wins alone this season.

You're right about the payroll. But you initially said that the organization needs to continue to get "better" players. I'm not sure that Jacobs or Crisp really qualify as such.

Coach
07-19-2009, 03:11 PM

That is correct about the payroll was as high as it ever been. Crisp was a OK additional, but getting Jacobs is a big no-no. You can't expect the Royals to field a winning team if they are putting together guys who can't hit worth a shit, especially when their history shows that they haven't OSP'ed over .800, with the exception last year Jacobs OPS'ed at .818, but his OBP was just flat out awful. Plus, Jacobs can't hit lefties worth a shit. I would had perferred Adam Dunn if you wanted a LH power bat.

Just to compare those two this year -

Jacobs - .222 BA .295 OBP .421 SLG .717 OPS 88 OPS+
Dunn - .262 BA .401 OBP .537 SLG .937 OPS 146 OPS+

As for the Sweeney/Greinke comment, that was so totally false. Everybody (as far as I know) wanted Sweeney gone, because he was getting injured constantly, and the Royals tied up way too much money on him. I never wanted Greinke gone FWIW.

petegz28
07-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Like a caller on the post game show said the other night, if you show up to a gunfight every night with a knife, it doesn't matter who the manager is.

I heard that guy. But that is also assuming you have a manager capable of managing at the ML level. Hillman has prove game after game, he is not.

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2009, 03:15 PM
There's a reason why I haven't paid attention to the Royals for 15 years. I love how NFL franchises can turn in one year, but MLB ... no .... It's the same 6 teams every year. BORING ........................

Chocolate Hog
07-19-2009, 03:31 PM
George has hid, there is nothing to defend

George Brett is a douchebag. It's pretty funny how he says none of the sports reporters have interviewed for a head coaching job. Has Brett been interviewed for a head coaching job?

CoMoChief
07-19-2009, 03:42 PM
For as many games this coach has cost us by his dumbass decisions, I dont know why we would keep him as the manager.

But our GM is a moron that hired a manager from a Japanese league, these are the results we are going to get.

We have a retarded manager

Our FO is not committed to spending the money it takes to be consistently competitive in this league.

We can't draft for shit. And with the shithole Baird put us in would take a competent franchise at least 5-10 yrs to get out of.......that means it would take the Royals 10+ yrs. The fact that we have NO ONE in our farm system that's really worth a shit alone will set this team back.

The stadium upgrades will only attract people for so long before results start to sink into the minds of the consumer. People aren't going to wanna pay or even waste their time to come out to the ballpark to watch a team get clobbered.

milkman
07-19-2009, 04:50 PM

You never saw El Dorado did you?

WilliamTheIrish
07-19-2009, 05:47 PM
We’re all in this thing together.

"No chance for course correction Capt Smith, the iceberg is directly in front of us".

WilliamTheIrish
07-19-2009, 05:51 PM

I just had to quote this. Wanted to see it again it was so epically obtuse.

WilliamTheIrish
07-19-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't get to see many Royals games...

Holy fuck.

DeezNutz
If one tightly compresses a luke-warm turd, it can be formed into a sensible sandwich.

Chocolate Hog
Are the right players ones that don't hit the ball out of the infield and coaches who don't try to coach the team just grow mustaches?

DeezNutz
07-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Holy ****.

I couldn't believe Moore said that either.

BWillie
07-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I really think I'm going to have to choke out Hillman. I really do. He has honestly cost us about ten games already this year, and he's a f*cking manager. Your job as a manager is to not be noticeable and affect the outcomes of a game. Out of ANY coaching job in ANY sport even this one has to be the easiest won and he's managed to fail at it miserably.