PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Kings - my new poster child for cancelled too soon

Baby Lee
07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
OK, I'll admit, some episodes had a laborious pace. But last night's show was some of the best television I've seen in some time. All to end with the series finale next week.
I can get into detail if people wish, but for now do yourself a favor and pick up the DVD set when it comes out. Or catch as many episodes as you can be whatever e-means at your disposal.

kcmecker
07-19-2009, 03:48 PM
www.hulu.com

Baby Lee
07-19-2009, 03:57 PM
If this had been on HBO, the culturati would be cooing over it as continuing in the tradition of The Wire, The Sopranos and Deadwood.
It was too expensive, high minded and dense for NBC to effectively market.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-19-2009, 04:00 PM
This show while starting slow has become fucking epic. All to end now? I could literally cry, and TV hasn't done that to me in years. YEARS.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-19-2009, 04:02 PM
If this had been on HBO, the culturati would be cooing over it as continuing in the tradition of The Wire, The Sopranos and Deadwood.
It was too expensive, high minded and dense for NBC to effectively market.

It didn't help that the high ups in NBC encouraged the writers to push the King David aspect of the show, just to refuse to market it as such when the time came. I have seriously come to wonder if NBC didn't come across Merlin and decide both shows couldn't be successful.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I keep praying that somebody, anybody will pick this show up and run with it.

Reaper16
07-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Fine, you convinced me. I'll check it out sometime soon.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-19-2009, 04:06 PM

Reaper I'm confident that you will love this show. Be wary though, you're destined to be left hanging since NBC buried it in their Saturday night line up and next week's season finale, is now the series finale.

Baby Lee
07-19-2009, 04:12 PM

The King and Queen [Ian McShane and Susanna Thompson] should hold their own from the get go for you [and deliver all you'd expect of them and more over time], but don't let David's boy-bandish first impression fool you, he gets plenty of meat [again, over time].

I won't lie, it's one of them dense shows that rewards paying attention. It's not L&O or CSI. But if shows that reward attention is your thing, it pays off handsomely.

Reaper16
07-19-2009, 04:13 PM
The King and Queen [Ian McShane and Susanna Thompson] should hold their own from the get go for you [and deliver all you'd expect of them and more over time], but don't let David's boy-bandish first impression fool you, he gets plenty of meat [again, over time].

I won't lie, it's one of them dense shows that rewards paying attention. It's not L&O or CSI. But if shows that reward attention is your thing, it pays off handsomely.
Ian McShane could be taking a shit in a Motel 6 and it would hold my attention from the get-go.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I was intrigued by the show when I first saw the ads for it back over Thanksgiving... Tried to keep up by watching Hulu, I guess things have gotten a lot more interesting. At least, up the point I've watched, they made Mcaulay Culkin's character relevant.. And gave us some eye candy of the princess... Nom nom nom.

Psyko Tek
07-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Firefly

Baby Lee
07-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I was intrigued by the show when I first saw the ads for it back over Thanksgiving... Tried to keep up by watching Hulu, I guess things have gotten a lot more interesting. At least, up the point I've watched, they made Mcaulay Culkin's character relevant.. And gave us some eye candy of the princess... Nom nom nom.

Please don't eat the princess.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Firefly

Probably ended for the better as soon as it did, as Whedon may have bollocksed with it like he did (as some fans claim) with Buffy in the latter seasons. It would've taken a dramatic change in the status quo around season three or so to keep the storytelling fresh... Something like Mal being forced to join the Alliance. Or maybe Shepherd Book being revealed as some Alliance bigwig, like a former brutal general who only took to the collar to redeem his own soul.

EDIT: Just watched the episode "Chapter One" / from two weeks ago. All I have to say is-

Fuck you NBC. Seriously, should have never been on Network TV. Should have been USA or TNT. Fuck you NBC.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Yes, I'm a postwhore. Boo-hoo.

That being said... Holeeeeeeeeeeeeeee SHIT that was a ridiculous beginning to the end. I'm a little bit pissed now I can't see the last episode on Saturday now. That was an all around great hour of television outside of the show's context. I rue the fact I will never have enough talent to pull off what the creative staff on that show did. And hell, even Chris Egan thawed out and pulled his weight too.

MoreLemonPledge
07-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Great show and I actually watched it. That's probably why it was canceled.

rolstrol
07-21-2009, 06:51 AM
While 7/18 episode was great

7/11 episode last 4 minutes of the show was outstanding.

It sucks the show won't be picked up, because like someone had said it had potential to be an awesome show.

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2009, 06:38 PM
I have not seen very much of this show.

For that, I feel sad and ashamed.

Baby Lee
07-25-2009, 06:43 PM

With the intertubes, the world is at your command.

Or, DVD set drops in September.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-25-2009, 06:44 PM

I think you'd love it.